PDA

View Full Version : Stormtroopers with Legion Markings

Darth Cruel
04-15-2007, 08:07 PM
I have been discussing this with a buddy. We both liked the idea of Stormtroopers with legion markings. And he mentioned that even though the Stormtroopers in EIV have no legion colors, that there could have been transitional Stormtroopers between EIII and EIV that still had the legion markings after the armor changed to Stormtrooper armor, but before they stopped using the legion markings. How about it Hasbro!

El Chuxter
04-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Dear God, please don't give them ideas. :crazed:

While I see the possibility that such Stormtroopers likely existed, I'm not in a hurry for Hasbro to get yet another silly gimmick to keep slapping on the same figure, the way they've been putting Jango heads on OT figures lately, or, more closely to this proposal, creating every possible color scheme for Clonetroopers than can be imagined.

Darth Cruel
04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
LOL...I expected the idea to generate some controversy. I am actually surprised that there is only one comment so far...but the thread is new and some members possibly just hate the idea too much to even comment on it.

But I really like the armored troopers. Canon, EU, completely imagined...I like them and would buy them all (if they are SA). And I think it could be done on the Saga legends line seeing as how they have already contaminated that line with another non-Saga figure (the 501st Clone Trooper). I am not complaining about the 501st being in the SL line, I am glad they did it. And I am glad that it could pave the way for a few more non-Saga pieces. And putting them in the Saga line would minimize (not alleviate, just minimize) the impact on the TAC line. Also...if they can do it to the Clones in the order 66 2-packs, they can do it for the Stormies as well.

bigbarada
04-16-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm already a little ticked that they stuck a Jango head under the new vintage Snowtrooper, so my thoughts on this would be NO!!!

:p

For those of us who are happily collecting OT figures, just let us continue to pretend that the prequels don't exist.

El Chuxter
04-16-2007, 11:00 AM
In moderation, any of these gimmicks could be cool. But with both the Jango heads and the Clonetrooper markings, Hasbro has consistently proven they don't know the meaning of "moderation." Give them a third gimmick, and we're likely to only see multicolored Clonetroopers and Stormtroopers, all with Jango heads, in the future.

bigbarada
04-16-2007, 11:03 AM
It's starting to resemble Kenner's old Batman line from the 90s. So, now we just need a bright yellow Stormtrooper with black lightning bolts painted all over his body to make things complete.:stupid:

bigbarada
04-16-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry, I think I just spilled the beans for Hasbro's latest version of Darth Vader.:D

pbarnard
04-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Much as it pains me, go El Chuxster. There were white and black armored stormtroopers (and there's no black ones for the EU haters but for the time being let's not go down that path), that's it. The Imperial military did away with the markings to make them unified. Since they were loyal now to an Emperor and not a Jedi general, there color reverted to one uniform sterile unyielding symbol. This also helped in later years once the Rebellion started because now it took a lot of resources and analysis for the Rebels to pinpoint which unit committed what atrocity.

DarkArtist
04-16-2007, 06:53 PM
I have been discussing this with a buddy. We both liked the idea of Stormtroopers with legion markings. And he mentioned that even though the Stormtroopers in EIV have no legion colors, that there could have been transitional Stormtroopers between EIII and EIV that still had the legion markings after the armor changed to Stormtrooper armor, but before they stopped using the legion markings. How about it Hasbro!

Nice idea, I'd buy. I always wondered if their were any legion stormies.

jedi master sal
04-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Gawd please no. Leave stormtroopers alone. There were NO unit designations in the movies. We don't need to see this.

Phantom-like Menace
04-21-2007, 10:33 PM
Well, I'll continue saying it every time somthing like this comes up. If Hasbro can make money off of simple repaints like this, and I suspect they could, then that just means they'll be able to take more chances to make us happy. If every figure sold as well as the multi-colored clones, we'd be getting large vehicles again like in the eighties.

I know, some of you are completist and don't want to have to purchase every iteration of figures you already own a million of. Okay, if you don't see the contradiction there, then I don't want to make your heads blow up by explaining it.

That said, there isn't currently too much use for legion markings on stormtroopers, but if the dreaded, horrible EU which will destroy all things Star Wars fills in the gaps between III and IV and includes Stormies with legion colors, then sure. Maybe we could even get unique Stormtrooper commanders. Now this is only if they are transitional as you mention. I can't see this working within the timeframe of the sequels.

Slicker
04-22-2007, 03:32 AM
Gawd please no. Leave stormtroopers alone. There were NO unit designations in the movies. We don't need to see this.I agree 100% Sal.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Dear God, please don't give them ideas. :crazed:

While I see the possibility that such Stormtroopers likely existed, I'm not in a hurry for Hasbro to get yet another silly gimmick to keep slapping on the same figure, the way they've been putting Jango heads on OT figures lately, or, more closely to this proposal, creating every possible color scheme for Clonetroopers than can be imagined.Totally agreed!

For those of us who are happily collecting OT figures, just let us continue to pretend that the prequels don't exist.Yeah, that's a good point, there's a very hard delineation between the OT and the PT, and it's served us well.

In moderation, any of these gimmicks could be cool. But with both the Jango heads and the Clonetrooper markings, Hasbro has consistently proven they don't know the meaning of "moderation." Give them a third gimmick, and we're likely to only see multicolored Clonetroopers and Stormtroopers, all with Jango heads, in the future.Excellent point. Heck, I feel they already went too far with the various pauldron colors on the Sandtroopers and that stuff's actually from the movie! The rainbow skittles of clones is really starting to drag in my area too because Hasbro's beaten it into the ground.

It's starting to resemble Kenner's old Batman line from the 90s. So, now we just need a bright yellow Stormtrooper with black lightning bolts painted all over his body to make things complete.:stupid:The Clone Wars non-animated line really made this crap pop out at us, battle armor Yoda, silly junk Anakin, rainbow clones, all based on the Hasbro business model of making the most out of repaints - GI Joe, Transformers, and once their influence on Batman took over Kenner, those are all perfect examples of how much they love to reuse this stuff as much as possible (Mattel's now doing it with the DC/Batman license so it's not only Hasbro).

At the very least, how about we wait till Stormtroopers are plentiful and armies are fully built before messing with that? We've NEVER had a Stormtrooper figure that was in enough quantities that any casual collector could make an instant squadron.

Phantom-like Menace
04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
At the very least, how about we wait till Stormtroopers are plentiful and armies are fully built before messing with that? We've NEVER had a Stormtrooper figure that was in enough quantities that any casual collector could make an instant squadron.

I can kind of agree with that. With the exception of one I let a friend get, I grabbed every VOTC Stormtrooper I saw and that still only amounted to five. Now I've been picking up the VTSC Sandtrooper in fairly large numbers and maybe have a little over twenty of them, but they're not quite as nice.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 10:33 PM
If Hasbro hadn't painted weathering on the VTSC Sandtrooper, I'd say it's perfectly acceptable, but with it he's stuck being either the pauldron sandtrooper or the non-pauldron sandtrooper or the Stormtrooper who fell in the dirt. :ermm: The TAC Tantive IV Battle Pack actually has 2 very nice troopers, but they're not perfect since they're lacking waist articulation and a proper belt, and they cost $20 to get.

But straight up basic-carded Stormtroopers, they never make enough of them, there's never a handful on pegs, not in 12 freakin' years.

Jargo
05-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't see a need for stormtrooper legion colours. whole point of the armour is to be as blank as possible. a faceless enemy oppressor, frightening and emotionless. an unstoppable force. take one down there's another standing behind him as far as you care to look. they have a sort of look to them like the unstoppable skeleton guards in jason and the argonauts. shoving rainbow colours on them would just make a mockery of the 'machine' of the empire.

I can cope with a shadow stormtrooper all in black just about. even that's silly though. If there's anywhere on a stormtrooper that I would approve of colour if it had to have any at all, it's the grey patches on the side of the helmet. small and fairly discreet. and even then it would have to follow OT rank colours. LFL have got to bridge from the clowntroopers to the plain white stormtroopers so that seems reasonable to me. small patches on the helmet sides and the pauldron colours. more than enough.

Kidhuman
05-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Why do I have a feeling we will see these in the TV show????

jedi master sal
05-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Why do I have a feeling we will see these in the TV show????

Because we will...

Check out the preview for the Force Unleashed video game. There are several troopers with color on them.

We've got a perfect bridge between the ROTS clones and the OT Stormtroopers. Either the #6 or #41 clones would work. All white (except the "battle damage" on the #41). I'm glad now that I got many of these troopers already. At first I was disappointed when I saw the movie and no white only troopers were seen. But they make sense now.

But again, the video game has some in color and you just know LFL is going to go for as many repaints as we will take regarding the tv show.

Since the animated one takes place between AOTC and ROTS, you know wwe will see them. Heck that might give them perfect opportunity to draw some of the EU clones that we've already got, ie., Mace's clones.

The live action on takes place between ROTS and ANH, and if they follow the Force Unleashed video game at all for continuity, then we'll see color on Stormtroopers as well.

Though I'd really rather not.

Believe it or no, I'm getting a little tired of the "flavor of the month" clones myself....And I'm one of the extreme army builders out there...

-Sal

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-03-2007, 03:51 PM
If they're going to start doing zany variations on stormtroopers, then they should stick with ones that already exist in comics or whatever, and even then I don't really want to see many. They still need to make a film-accurate spacetrooper, anyway.