PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimatum

El Chuxter
04-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Dear Hasbro,

I've been a faithful collector of Star Wars toys since 1978. Aside from a handful of pieces that I couldn't afford or never found, I have every 3.75" figure and accessory made up until a couple of years ago, when some of your gimmicks became quite frustrating.

When I say "gimmicks," I'm not talking about action features. I'm talking about making so much of the line as tough-to-find, overpriced exclusives; requiring us to buy multiples of figures like ROTS Anakin and Yoda to get accessories or new figures in multipacks; the legions of made-up, repainted Clonetroopers (though there are still actual Clonetroopers from the movies remaining to be made); and, most recently, the ridiculous habit of putting Temuera Morrison heads on every Imperial you release.

In the past couple of weeks, I've discovered that I will never have a complete set of the McQuarrie figures I've wanted for years unless I get someone to pick three of them up from Celebration IV (already taken care of, thankfully); and that I'd have to pick up two of a subpar Droideka sculpt to get one shield.

Yeah, I know you exist to make money. But there's a lot to be said about making your customers happy. Honestly, I'm pretty close to fed up with the whole shebang. As awesome as some of the recent figures have been, I'm still prepared to issue the following ultimatum:

I have in mind 25 possible Star Wars toys. These include both figures and vehicles, as well as accessories and beasts, from the basic, Unleashed, Titanium, and Galactic Heroes lines. As of this writing, none of these have been confirmed, and only a couple have shown up on rumor lists.

If at least seven of these are not confirmed by the end of Comic-Con 2008, I'm done. Period. And I don't mean just Hasbro Star Wars. I mean everything Star Wars, as well as everything Hasbro.

I am not going to tell you the toys I have in mind. Twenty of them are among those that a majority of collectors have been literally begging for for years now. The other five are figures I know you'll probably never make, but I'd like to see them even if they're not priorities among collectors, so I threw them on just on the off chance you decide to make 'em. Suffice to say, if you've been paying one bit of attention to us for the past twelve years, you should have no trouble coming up with a majority of them.

If you need a hint, I'd start with your little "April Fool's" joke from last year.

For the rest of you here, if you'd like to join me in this fool's errand of trying to get toys we actually want from Hasbro, PM me and I'll send you the list.

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 05:23 PM
It's a little angry, but an understandable point of view, I've been there myself and barely let Hasbro pull their bacon out of the fire (though my complaints are more distribution-themed). I think this next 12 months will make or break Hasbro Star Wars collecting for a lot of us veteran collectors, the direction the line takes from here is very much in doubt and a lot of our wants are being ignored.

Slicker
04-22-2007, 04:38 AM
I'm in agreeance with the both of you.

There are many things that fans on almost every site have been asking for and Hasbro just skips over 'em time and again. Like JT said this next year or so is gonna be a big deciding factor. They've gotta hold over the hardcore fans AND try and draw new ones in before the TV show (if it even comes out. Who knows anymore...) arrives in a couple of years.

DarkArtist
04-22-2007, 10:42 AM
While I agree that there are figures that need to be made and figures that deserve either a re-release or new sculpt, (ie Sio Bibble, TC-14, very short packed) one must remember that Hasbro is always looking for ways to bring in new people.
With that being said, ask yourselfs, is their enough of a collecting community to warrant releasing an ICMG or Yarna in mass amounts that will not pegwarm on the shelves. What little kid going to the store is going to know who these characters are ? The kids today want to see Luke and Leia and Vader on the pegs not characters that have had very little if any screen time. While I'm a completist and would like to have the above mentioned figures on my shelves they are not on my hot list at the moment.
This is why time and again I have tried to get Hasbro to start a club gearing exclusivly to the collector's market in which figure like Yarna,and ICMG will see the plastic treatment and won't be pegwarming the shelves at Walmart, TRU or Targets around the world. For those who have said it's too late to have a club, Hasbro has the license till 2018, that's still 11 years away, mor than enough time to give the collector's some new interesting figures as well as playsets and larger scale ships and vehicles like the Clone Turbo Tank, AT-TE and even Palpatine's Shuttle. Playsets like a modular Death Star, or Hoth Base.
Instead of boycotting Hasbro all together let them know how a club like this could help them and not hurt them. Let Hasbro continue to release stuff for the general population while giving us the collector's something more.

Old Fossil
04-22-2007, 12:22 PM
I really like DarkArtist's suggestion, but Hasbro has time and again shown negative inclination to humor us with such a collector's club. It's not that they can't do it, I think, but they simply don't want to. It would mean expanding their business model somewhat, maybe, and they're too comfortable marketing and selling to retailers and not to collectors, the way they've been doing for years. They could sublicense the action figure line to someone else, like they did with the 12" line and Sideshow, but I just don't see that happening with the money they're making (and will make) off the 3 3/4" line.

I don't think things are as bleak as some have suggested, not yet. We've had lots of different figures (many, admittedly, resculpts/ repaints/ reissues/ re___) so far this year, and some new vehicles. Not bad for a non-movie year. Excepting the recent dearth of new figures at retail, I've really enjoyed most of what 2007 has had to offer from the final Saga waves and the first TAC wave. Waves 2, 3, and 4 bode well for us. Good things are coming in the next 6-8 months. 2008 might be a different story, but really, any collector trying to look that far ahead needs to stop and smell the mouse droids. Or the clone trooper kamas...

El Chuxter
04-22-2007, 12:23 PM
With that being said, ask yourselfs, is their enough of a collecting community to warrant releasing an ICMG or Yarna in mass amounts that will not pegwarm on the shelves.

Is there enough of a collecting community to warrant releasing a Baron Papanoida figure or McQuarrie concept figures?

What little kid going to the store is going to know who these characters are ? The kids today want to see Luke and Leia and Vader on the pegs not characters that have had very little if any screen time.

I have to wonder where everyone else at this site shops. Certainly not the stores I go to. I hardly ever am in the SW aisle where there aren't kids buying figures, or parents buying figures for kids. And all the kids I see seem to like the cool looking background characters. Just because Johnny is seven years old doesn't mean he wants fourteen figures of Tatooine Luke. I don't understand why both Hasbro and Mattel keep making this stupid mistake over and over.

It's the parents who either buy only main characters, or who pick up a random handful of figures and say, "Well, he can take back any he has."

And I've forwarded the list I came up with to a few people who have asked. It's characters we've been asking for, and several of them are main characters, or at least secondary characters (a la Wedge or Ric Olie--though they're not on the list).

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 09:41 PM
With that being said, ask yourselfs, is their enough of a collecting community to warrant releasing an ICMG or Yarna in mass amounts that will not pegwarm on the shelves. What little kid going to the store is going to know who these characters are ? The kids today want to see Luke and Leia and Vader on the pegs not characters that have had very little if any screen time. While I'm a completist and would like to have the above mentioned figures on my shelves they are not on my hot list at the moment.Here's the thing, Hasbro is the master of short-packing - intentionally and not - so they can make a relatively low-interest toy EXTREMELY hot simply by doing what they did with Sio Bibble, TC-14 and R2-B1, Swimming Jar Jar, Holo Sidious, even FrankenPadme. There's nothing inherently wrong with Lushros Dofine, he's just not that interesting a figure, and if Hasbro had released him in limited numbers he'd be the one we'd all be screaming for more of now - but instead they short-packed Boba Fett and put Lushros in half a dozen more cases, and look what happened. It's like there's some sort of confusion near the end of the production department that sees cool stuff and orders them to dial back, yet cannot also see that less interesting junk should be downplayed. Nobody seems to be looking at case assortments that are about to go into production and saying "hmm, maybe pregnant Padme won't have much appeal and we shouldn't take 3 Clones out of the case to accommodate her". In my opinion, that needs to be job 1 at during production, someone with a real sense of on-the-street interest needs to be in charge of that sort of thing, not these guys who say they're surprised when a figure's hot or not and wait till sales numbers come in to decide whether or not to go heavier on the old man action figures.

This is why time and again I have tried to get Hasbro to start a club gearing exclusivly to the collector's market in which figure like Yarna,and ICMG will see the plastic treatment and won't be pegwarming the shelves at Walmart, TRU or Targets around the world. For those who have said it's too late to have a club, Hasbro has the license till 2018, that's still 11 years away, mor than enough time to give the collector's some new interesting figures as well as playsets and larger scale ships and vehicles like the Clone Turbo Tank, AT-TE and even Palpatine's Shuttle. Playsets like a modular Death Star, or Hoth Base. There are contractual issues involved there with LFL, direct marketing and such. And also, Hasbro's made it abundantly clear that mass-retail is the only way to ensure they make any profit on these molds, and that's because only mass-retail can guarantee the production numbers Hasbro needs to see profit. Their business model no longer allows for low-run limited sales in the Star Wars brand, so an exclusive item the way you discuss is going to cost 3 or 4 times as much to the consumer which itself is going to drive interest away which will then drive the offsetting requirement costs up even higher - the classic downward spiral.

Of course, other brands and companies can make profits on much smaller and more exclusive runs, but their business models are totally different and they don't have to pay LFL's Star Wars licensing fees, and many of those small toy companies eventually DO go out of business anyway, or at least suffer greater risks of not making their money back (this is something Hasbro has become so worried about that they'd rather not finish and market a mold that's 90% finished and they've already sunk that budget into, which in turn leads the next potential mold to not even get made if its risk is too high).

Instead of boycotting Hasbro all together let them know how a club like this could help them and not hurt them. Let Hasbro continue to release stuff for the general population while giving us the collector's something more.While I love the enthusiasm and optimism, at this point it's a total pipe dream, something that's not even on Hasbro's radar, they've made it very clear they're shutting the door on that hard.

I have to wonder where everyone else at this site shops. Certainly not the stores I go to. I hardly ever am in the SW aisle where there aren't kids buying figures, or parents buying figures for kids. And all the kids I see seem to like the cool looking background characters. Just because Johnny is seven years old doesn't mean he wants fourteen figures of Tatooine Luke. I don't understand why both Hasbro and Mattel keep making this stupid mistake over and over.Because it's a solid business decision, newcomers, casual collectors, and kids all can identify with main characters immediately, but aren't as enticed by the "nobody" guys. Newcomers are especially important as they don't have Luke Tatooine and the last one that came out was 8 years ago so it's not like something they can go out and buy. There's a lot more risk with a character that isn't instantly recognizable.

Plus, there's breakage factor, kids actually play with their figures so parts and figures themselves often get broken or lost behind the couch or tossed out the car window, kids will end up needing 3 Vaders in the course of their play life.

And the kids I see at the store respond instantly to Boba Fett, Vader, and the heroes (even some of the PT heroes, sad as that may be for us :p).

2-1B
04-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Ric Olie is overdue for another release.

El Chuxter
04-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Newcomers are especially important as they don't have Luke Tatooine and the last one that came out was 8 years ago so it's not like something they can go out and buy.

Actually, the last Luke Tatooine came out last year.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 11:35 PM
I meant a new body version worth being put in the modern line, but you're technically correct - the best kind of correct. We also got the all-new version in the stupid WM "early bird kit", but that thing's an exclusive and a mail-away and has a lightsaber arm (too bad since the body and headsculpt look otherwise pretty decent).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Because it's a solid business decision, newcomers, casual collectors, and kids all can identify with main characters immediately, but aren't as enticed by the "nobody" guys. Newcomers are especially important as they don't have Luke Tatooine and the last one that came out was 8 years ago so it's not like something they can go out and buy. There's a lot more risk with a character that isn't instantly recognizable.
Which is why, out of the first wave of TAC figures, the Mustafar Lava Miner and McQuarrie Trooper are pegwarming and Obi-Wan, R2-D2, Mace, and Vader are just absolutely flying off the shelves. ;)

I get frustrated with Hasbro at times, and it's tempting to tell them how much they suck and all that, but I think many people are being ungrateful when they do things right. People have been clamoring for deleted scene Biggs, Hermie Odle, and the curved bar sections for years now - in some cases, probably longer than they have for Yarna or Willrow Hood - and now that they're coming, people hardly take notice, and go on to complain about a new Destroyer Droid that they haven't even shown yet (myself included in some cases).

El Chuxter
04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
...but I think many people are being ungrateful when they do things right. People have been clamoring for deleted scene Biggs, Hermie Odle, and the curved bar sections for years now - in some cases, probably longer than they have for Yarna or Willrow Hood - and now that they're coming, people hardly take notice, and go on to complain about a new Destroyer Droid that they haven't even shown yet.

You are correct, sir.

However, this is an off-year. There is no movie, and there won't be a TV show this year or next. We already know this to be the case.

I'm happy to have Hermie and Biggs, and less concerned about the bar pieces (though I recognize that there is a demand for them). But, this being an off year, why are we getting new sculpts of Tatooine Luke, Bossk, Vader, etc? Why re-release an inferior droideka that was so inferior to begin with, it should never have been released? This is the ideal time to make some of the figures that Hasbro doesn't think would sell well. How about, say, a certain six-breasted dancer that it should be a total no-brainer to figure out is on this list?

By the way, Hasbro, if you're paying attention, TRU has semi-confirmed one of the figures from the list. When word is official, I'll say which one, though he should be a no-brainer, too, based on what I've said. I can't say that I'm at all happy about having to buy an entire set for the one figure, but this does mean that (if TRU's info is correct), you only have six more to go.

2-1B
04-23-2007, 07:03 PM
People have been clamoring for deleted scene Biggs

Yeah but we also clamored for his cape...

Kidhuman
04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Well, I know two figures that can be axed off your list(GH confirmations).

I happen to agree with you. We get the figure we want voted into the top 3 and they still refuse to make her. Instead we get some Cobra Commander/Darth Vader love child. Its absurd.

El Chuxter
04-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, I know two figures that can be axed off your list (GH confirmations).

I know which two you're thinking, and only one was on the list. (The other I just think is, well, an incredibly logical choice.)

I'm just waiting to see more than a tru.com solicitation which could be premature. We've gotten our hopes up before about things that were solicited and never materialized.

JediTricks
04-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Which is why, out of the first wave of TAC figures, the Mustafar Lava Miner and McQuarrie Trooper are pegwarming and Obi-Wan, R2-D2, Mace, and Vader are just absolutely flying off the shelves. ;)Mace = not a main character. Vader = not a basic figure. R2 & Obi-Wan, we just had 'em and they're only rehashes, it was too soon, but I bet you they never make it to clearance either - kids and casual collectors will identify them and buy them, even if it is slower than the hot new figs.

Phantom-like Menace
04-25-2007, 12:20 AM
People have been clamoring for deleted scene Biggs, Hermie Odle, and the curved bar sections for years now - in some cases, probably longer than they have for Yarna or Willrow Hood - and now that they're coming, people hardly take notice, and go on to complain about a new Destroyer Droid that they haven't even shown yet (myself included in some cases).

Thank you! I was thinking pretty much the same thing in the thread about waves 5 & 6. Throw in Smuggler Lando and Torture Rack Han and these people should be celebrating a victory. Instead they're complaining that they have to share the same trough as EU fans.

El Chuxter
04-25-2007, 12:28 AM
If they're confirmed, I'm excited, and Hasbro should be, because that leaves them to only have to make five more from the list.

But SA 4-LOM? Darth Only-Available-On-One-Game-Platform's Apprentice Edgar?

We'll show our appreciation of Han and Lando with our dollars, if the rumor is true.

Phantom-like Menace
04-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Only-Available-On-One-Game-Platform

Well, since he was only available to Xbox owners, I would imagine that speaks even more to the popularity of these figures as Darth Revan did win the fan poll. If they were available on every console, it wouldn't have been nearly as remarkable.

El Chuxter
04-25-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm so tired of pointing out that he got a whopping 8% of the vote and was the only KOTOR figure in the top 20 runoff, I'm not going to do it again right now.

Phantom-like Menace
04-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm glad you saved yourself the trouble of pointing that out, because whether or not he was a runaway winner, he still won. I can qualify it as many times as you can and we could both get sick of it.

pbarnard
04-25-2007, 03:52 PM
And it wasn't just a single platform game, it was later released on PC, as well as was heralded by most gaming magazines as one of the pest single player games of the year. There was sufficient exposure giving the minority of people who actually voted.

El Chuxter
04-25-2007, 04:21 PM
The topic of this thread is not "how many games KOTOR was available on" or "how much Hasbro buttkissing are the forumites at SSG going to do."

pbarnard
04-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Ultimatum's imply some sort of consequence made to the entity being threatened. Since there was no implicitly stated threat, what is the point?

Droid
04-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Yarna, the Tonnikas, Young Owen, Young Beru, Clieg, and the rest of the vintage figures.

How long do we have to beg?

I think they are making some darn good progress this year, but I get tired of the secrecy. I could not applaud what they did with Captain Needa more. "You'll have him by the end of 2008." Dandy. Great.

I say you give us a timeline and we shut up. I understand why we won't get every figure in one year and they have really done a good job slowly getting some great figures made over the years. But don't tell me you aren't sure the market can support some of the figures the fans want when you're making random Naboo soldier guy.

And why take a figure like Jerjerrod, someone people had been asking for, and decide to take artistic license and give him a likeness and expression that are NO WHERE in the film?

And don't get me started on the McQuarrie situation. I hate EU, but was really interested in this line. Now I might pass on all of them. They plan to release video game figures, Yoda on some EU horse, and a McQuarrie Snowtrooper (we've all been clamoring for that one...), but we can't get the droids and LUKE? Particularly when Luke would go with the Vader they are widely releasing?

They are maddening, simply maddening.

I still predict eventually they'll release those McQuarrie figures in some set where you have to rebuy all the other figures to get them.

Phantom-like Menace
04-26-2007, 08:37 AM
The topic of this thread is not "how many games KOTOR was available on" or "how much Hasbro buttkissing are the forumites at SSG going to do."

You know, you brought it up. We're simply following your lead.

And how is any butt being kissed by simply pointing out that there are more people than you think who want a figure I'm only grudgingly buying and wouldn't have voted for if 98% of the figures I ever wanted were already made? Don't mistake not kissing your butt for kissing someone else's butt. I know: this thread isn't about buttkissing.

El Chuxter
04-26-2007, 10:50 AM
This is the last I'm going to say on the subject.

I do not hate Expanded Universe.

I would prefer that some of the figures that everyone has been begging for for years be made before figures that most collectors have not even heard of.

I have no problem with them making XBox figures, but when a poll that's run by a magazine aimed at 13 year old kids and with a history of fudging facts is won by less than 10%, and with a margin of only 1.4%, even figuring in the fact that there was no provision to eliminate multiple votes per person, it calls into question the accuracy of the results. In any case, fine, make the figure. Eight percent of people out there who read Wizard want it.

However, when you're making 1, 2, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, and 21, and three of those were already planned at the beginning of the poll, it makes no sense to not make the runner-up and continue to make jokes about it. Would the people who voted for Neyo, Kir Kanos, and Snowbunny Padme have voted for Raven or Yarna had they known their favorite was already planned? Perhaps, perhaps not. In either case, if they're going to put such importance on the poll, accurate info going in would have been nice.

I'm not asking anyone to kiss my butt. I don't want everyone to agree with me. But for you to say repeatedly that you're "only grudgingly buying" Darth Raven, but leap to the defense of Hasbro making not only him, but every character from Knights of the Old Republic, as well as a bunch of characters from a game that won't even be out when the figures ship, well, yeah, I do consider that to be Hasbro butt-kissing. (I've never heard anyone say, "Hey! I want a hybrid, but they only make SUVs. I guess I'd better buy an SUV to prove to them that I want a hybrid!" If this logic made sense, we'd not be seeing new Tatooine Lukes still being made after twelve years.) If you want to pay $7.50 for a figure that you don't want, more power to you.

That's what this thread was intended to be about: my ultimatum to Hasbro, which was explicitly stated in the very first post, in case you're too busy condemning my disappointment in Darth Raven to have noticed:

If at least seven of these [25 possible Star Wars toys] are not confirmed by the end of Comic-Con 2008, I'm done. Period. And I don't mean just Hasbro Star Wars. I mean everything Star Wars, as well as everything Hasbro.

I won't argue the point about Darth Raven again, but (for the sake of everyone who wants to continue buying inferior resculpts of Luke Skywalker) I hope I'm wrong that only 8% of collectors will buy this POS and he'll make Malakili and the Neimoidian Warrior look like amateur pegwarmers.

I actually like EU figures. I'd prefer that Hasbro make the ones that an actual majority have been begging for. I'm not about to buy Darth Raven or Darth Destro from a game I don't have and am not willing to pay $100+ to play, nor S***-Kicked-Out-Of-Him-P**** Vader, nor Pre-Cyborg Grievous from an Infinities comic, nor Duro in Stormtrooper Disguise from a comic that I thought wasn't worth the paper it was printed on, in the hope that this will entice Hasbro to make a Corran Horn or Yuuzhan Vong. No, this will encourage them to make every stupid character I don't want that they can find some easy visual reference for, and not have to strain their little minds.

Droid
04-26-2007, 10:56 AM
And as far as the EU goes, which I don't want, does Hasbro really believe there is more of a market for every EU character they are putting out this year than the SOLO children? I can't believe they have not made a single figure of any of Han or Luke's children. If it makes them nervous they could pack them in with a figure of their parents.

Phantom-like Menace
04-26-2007, 03:40 PM
This is the last I'm going to say on the subject.

I do not hate Expanded Universe.

Okay, I didn't say that you did.

But for you to say repeatedly that you're "only grudgingly buying" Darth Raven, but leap to the defense of Hasbro making not only him, but every character from Knights of the Old Republic, as well as a bunch of characters from a game that won't even be out when the figures ship, well, yeah, I do consider that to be Hasbro butt-kissing.

So it's your conclusion I'm buying Revan for Hasbro's sake? That's an interesting, if erroneous, read on anything I've ever said in life. I, ego, just as selfish as people who write ultimatums to Hasbro to write them a love letter in the form of every figure they desire, want more EU figures. If I want them to make more--yes, I'm damn well going to buy the ones they put out so they can make the ones I do want. If Hasbro loses all their money making my figures, they can **** up a rope for all I care. If you want that to be interpreted as though I'm going to show up at Hasbro and have them unzip so I can get to work, do so. However, if I want my figures made, I'm going to have to accept the fact that they are attempting to maintain interest in the line for eleven more years, so they're probably going to be spread across those eleven years.

That's what this thread was intended to be about: my ultimatum to Hasbro, which was explicitly stated in the very first post, in case you're too busy condemning my disappointment in Darth Raven to have noticed:

And if you're too busy condemning the perceived condemnation, I simply pointed out your supporting evidence was flawed. I can't make myself care about your opinion of whether or not it's a good figure that is worth it's own weight in the plastic it's made of. If Darth Revan is your dream figure or your worst nightmare in molded form, that still doesn't change the fact that that part of your argument doesn't hold weight. How my pointing out that he's more popular than you think became "You hate EU and don't like Darth Revan," I don't know. If you said, "I hate Darth Revan," then that is a fact inasmuch as you hate Darth Revan, but implying Darth Revan is obscure simply because he was on x number of platforms is simple fallacy and doesn't warrant any defense of your like or dislike of the EU or any single character. Ink your ultimatum onto vellum, frame it, and sleep with it under your pillow for all I care about the intent of this thread, but your point wasn't valid.

El Chuxter
04-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Uh, were you the only person reading this thread, then that last statement may have been geared toward you. But it wasn't.

I don't want to get into an argument (at least any more so than already), but I'm not willing to buy figures I don't want in the hopes that maybe I'll eventually someday possibly get the ones I do want. I have much better things to do with my money than accumulate more figures that I don't want (because, I'll admit, I've bought several in the past).

If it's egotistical to contact Hasbro via the only medium they might possibly be paying attention to (because we all know contacting them directly will get a polite form response and no one will ever actually see the message) that if they don't make a small portion of the figures that have been constantly asked for since the line began, they risk losing collectors who spend several hundred or even a few thousand dollars a year on this stuff, then so be it. I'm an egotist.

I find it rather inexusable that (for instance) we've gotten two new Tatooine Luke Skywalkers in less than a year, and it's been five years without a single member of the prequel Lars family even rumored.

Phantom-like Menace
04-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Uh, were you the only person reading this thread, then that last statement may have been geared toward you. But it wasn't.

You weren't responding to me? Fair enough, but I'm looking back and no one has accused you of hating the EU. You're misrepresenting someone. Let's see if I made a list of people who have opined counter to your ultimatum and have mentioned the EU, then pbarnard, he must have been talking to you.

If it's egotistical to contact Hasbro via the only medium they might possibly be paying attention to (because we all know contacting them directly will get a polite form response and no one will ever actually see the message) that if they don't make a small portion of the figures that have been constantly asked for since the line began, they risk losing collectors who spend several hundred or even a few thousand dollars a year on this stuff, then so be it. I'm an egotist.

And if you'll note, I compared my desire to that very same egotism. The point of the paragraph was I'm looking out for me, not Hasbro.

So in conclusion, if you think your evidence for Revan's obscurity is solid (and you still haven't addressed it without going off on tangents), then . . . ****! whatever.

plasticfetish
04-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Okay ladies... that's about enough.

Chux, I can feel your pain. Look... I just bought a new house. I've got better things to spend my money on now than re-hashed versions of Vader, Luke and various franken-versions of Han that Hasbro thinks we'll all leap at because it's been recarded. I'm looking at these first two waves of TAC figures, and thinking... hmmm, maybe I'll buy a few of them at most. Largely because it's just more of the same with a new bow tied around it, and largely because... honestly, this latest bunch of figures (second wave in particular) aren't made very well... and they look like cr*p.

At this point, I'm sick of clones. I'm sick of seeing different card styles warming the pegs at my local Target, and I'm sick of the price hike.

The only thing that Hasbro can do to really get me excited at this point, is to start turning out some new ideas, and the video game (KOTOR, etc.) related figures are what I want. Don't get me wrong, I still want the few odd obscure OT characters that we've all wanted and will get, but for the most part I'm looking to move on to something new... or something "old" and unique like the McQuarrie figures.

I think Hasbro really blew it by waiting to take advantage of the market that the game fans offer. KOTOR and KOTOR 2 sold millions of copies, and for them to come around to the idea just now proves that they lack vision. Especially since we all know that Lucas is shifting his entire focus to the games.

I mean, let's face it... the films are a thing of the past, and interest will be largely nostalgia based if anything. If you're not into the game figures, then your "ultimatum" is probably more of an inevitability than anything else. I can't help but think that you (or many of us) will end up walking away at some point soon regardless of what Hasbro does.

jedi master sal
04-26-2007, 05:56 PM
I can't help but think that you (or many of us) will probably end up walking away at some point soon regardless of what Hasbro does.

You are more correct in your estimation than you know.

plasticfetish
04-26-2007, 06:04 PM
(sigh) ...yeah.

I'm not willing to write Star Wars off though. I really love the games, and am still holding my breath for whatever cartoon or live action show they manage to push out. (Be nice if they kept us interested with a little news here and there. Seems like they're taking the fan base for granted just a little lately.)

I'm open to surprises.

Kidhuman
04-26-2007, 08:14 PM
I just feel like the whole video game figure stuff is a kick in the teeth to the collector that has been around from the get-go. We have pumped so much money into Hasbros pockets and been asking for certain figures for years and get made fun of for it(SDCC joke). Here comes a game and within a few years they are producing figures from it because....here is the best part....people asked for it. Thanks for nothing Hasbro.

I know the list that EC has and I happen to agree with him on it. We have taken polls from movies for characters to be made. They were handed lists from them, they got tossed aside more than likely(my assumption). I am going to follow suit on this becuase my interest in re packed crap and stuff I dont care about is getting annoying.

Slicker
04-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I can't help but think that you (or many of us) will end up walking away at some point soon regardless of what Hasbro does.
It's sad but being over here and not in front of the toys is making me lose interest more and more. I'm gonna try with all my might to keep it going but the online stores are expensive.

Phantom-like Menace
04-27-2007, 01:28 AM
I just feel like the whole video game figure stuff is a kick in the teeth to the collector that has been around from the get-go. We have pumped so much money into Hasbros pockets and been asking for certain figures for years and get made fun of for it(SDCC joke). Here comes a game and within a few years they are producing figures from it because....here is the best part....people asked for it. Thanks for nothing Hasbro.

You know, I'm a collector who's been around since the get-go too, but my desire for video game characters is derided, and when I'm thrown the smallest bone to hungrily gnaw on, other collectors drop their full meal and act like I'm stealing food from their mouths. It's insulting every time I read about how the fullfilment of my desire is a slap in the face to collectors, like I'm some seven year old asking Mommy to please buy me Darth Malak before the next movie's toys come out and I lose interest in Star Wars. So your full meal isn't filet mignon, you're still eating.

I know everyone is afraid the toy line will end in two years and it will if Hasbro listens to a word the average "collector" (and I put that word in quotations because I apparently--despite my including myself--don't belong to that group) says. If I made a list of figures Hasbro has to make and they even remotely took it seriously, the only intelligent thing Hasbro could do with that list is immediately sit down and disperse those figures over the next eleven years. That's what I would do with the top twenty list from Toyfare. I'm looking to justify all those dollars I spent for the license for the next eleven years, so why would it make any sense to make all the highly desired figures within the next couple of years? The only way I would get all those figures out of the way right now is if I thought those figures were absolutely worthless and couldn't support my toyline for eleven years. It sounds like if I were Hasbro I could lose you now or lose you in two years. Hasbro renewed the license--what--two years ago? and it's been a fairly good two years. I think they're willing to call your bluff. And if it's not a bluff, they're probably willing to bet your opinion is minority enough not to matter. That's not because they don't care about your opinion, that's because they care more about the majority opinion. And if you want it in cynical toy exec speak: that's not because they don't care about your money, it's because they care about the larger amount of money they can get from the majority.

And it's been thirteen months since Hasbro made a poorly considered joke about a handful of figures. We're not blowing that a little out of proportion? Yeah, yeah, what if Darth Nihilus was among the figures shown? Dude, I've had worse jokes played on me and I just rolled my eyes and didn't let it affect the rest of my day, let alone year. I mean Jesus, if I knew then what I knew now, I'd have voted for Yarna D'Howeverthat'sspelled just so people could shut the ever loving hell up about that completely useless character. They're going to make her. I swear to you. They don't have to tell anyone that they will eventually get even more tired of listening to requests for her than I am. It's an inevitability. And you know what, when they do, I'm not going to go on a tear about how they could have made some video game character but made her instead. As I've mentioned in another thread: how many frequently requested characters have been made in the last year alone? You're winning battles every year. Sit down and drink to each of those victories. I haven't started a thread requesting EU figures in a year and a half. Why? Because I've been heard. I can sit down and celebrate. I've won battles. Life is good. Do I have every EU figure I want? No. Will they give me every one of them in the next two years? No. Will I get all of the EU figures I want? No. Will they stop making the figures I want simply so you can get the figures you want? No, and I wouldn't want them to stop making the figures you want to make the figures I want either.

That's the funny thing about making one person happy versus making everyone happy. The two goals surprisingly contradict. Hasbro can make you completely happy and leave some people completely unhappy, or they can make you kind of happy while allowing everyone else to be kind of happy. I'm willing to allow that figures I don't ever want them to waste their time on will make others kind of happy, while I'm not completely happy. That's life, and I deal with it.

bigbarada
04-27-2007, 01:33 AM
I guess I just don't really see the problem here. There's plenty to look forward to this year. For me, if I only buy Hermi Odle this year, I'll be happy. However, we also have the new versions of Bossk, IG-88 and 4-LOM along with some new Cantina aliens.

Now if next year we can just get a new Zuckuss, a resculpted Ponda Baba and an honest attempt at Dr. Evazan, then I'll be happy.

I'll admit getting a little annoyed at some of the news this year, but in the end, it's just Star Wars toys and pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

jedi master sal
04-27-2007, 08:48 AM
(sigh) ...yeah.

...Seems like they're taking the fan base for granted just a little lately.)

Ain't that the truth brother. I feel more taken for granted each day. Take for instance Gentle Giants appalling move to 5 exclusives that are all clones... They know we'll clamor for them. Why not make more then to satiate the needs/desires of the market? Then they announce yet another subline of bust. I'm not buying those. A little on principal and a little on money as well. If this is the last year of the regular sized mini busts, I'll be happier for it and will put some cash back into my income.

Hasbro is doing this to a lesser degree. (CIV exclusives anyone?) But yeah, taken for granted is a very good estimation of how many of us feel.

Droid
04-27-2007, 11:17 AM
And it's been thirteen months since Hasbro made a poorly considered joke about a handful of figures. We're not blowing that a little out of proportion?

I take issue with that part. No, we are not blowing it out of proportion. Look at the context. They said, "We're listening." Then they listed many figures fans have wanted and begged for for years. We make sure they have jobs, give them thousand of dollars and then they say, "Just kidding!" So is the implication that they aren't listening or that they are listening and think what we want is ridiculous? I am so sorry if we won't be good little fanboys and just be happy with Vader and Tatooine Luke over and over and over. I know they'd rather have so many children customers that they could ignore us completely, but they don't, so they better stop taking us for granted. Not joke about listening, but really listening.

The joke would be forgivable if they would have made ONE of the figures on their joke list by now. The joke would be forgivable if it had been all dead Jawas, which I never heard anyone ask for anyway. But to take the Number One most requested figure from the FILMS from their own poll and to still not have announced her is not forgivable. They will not be forgiven for the joke until they make every one of the figures they listed, even the dead Jawas, which I never wanted, but now feel they are required to make.

EDIT: For the record, those figures once again were Willrow Hood, Yarna d'al Gargan, dead Jawa 2-pack, dead Owen and Beru, Funeral Pyre Qui-Gon, and Funeral Pyre Darth Vader. Two of them were in the Top 25 most requested in their poll. None of them have been announced yet, a year after their joke. I'd say only the Jawas are unreasonable, but as I said, now I expect them. Get to work Hasbro.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-27-2007, 07:11 PM
There was a rumor list that had Funeral Pyre Vader on it, but that wasn't even one of the reputable ones.

KOTOR and KOTOR 2 sold millions of copies, and for them to come around to the idea just now proves that they lack vision.
And they have paid the price for their lack of vision. Well, maybe not, but it had to be said. ;) :D

The fact that Scorch was the most difficult figure to find in all of 2006 says something about the potential popularity of video game figures. Sure, part of his popularity was due to the fact that he was a clone and a shortpacked figure (though other shortpacked figures, like Lushros Dofine and General Rieekan, ended up pegwarming like nobody's business), but I don't think the line is going to cave in on itself if they start doing more EU stuff.

But, they are still releasing more movie figures this year than EU figures, and I don't really ever see that completely changing.

What was my point? I don't even know anymore.

TeeEye7
04-28-2007, 03:46 AM
I'll admit getting a little annoyed at some of the news this year, but in the end, it's just Star Wars toys and pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you! :yes:

jjreason
04-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Instead of issuing an ultimatum, I'll just gladly taper my collecting so that I'm happy with what I'm buying. No more Battle rePacks or Commemortive Tin sets or things of that nature that are WAY too expensive for what you get - I'm only going to buy the basic figures and the odd small set/vehicle that I really like. I just wish I could have been this way from the beginning.

Phantom-like Menace
04-29-2007, 12:38 AM
I am so sorry if we won't be good little fanboys and just be happy with Vader and Tatooine Luke over and over and over.

Just because so many people overreacted with extreme anger doesn't mean the only alternative is an equally extreme opposite. The Internet seems to be a breading ground for a mindset in which hyperbole has replaced sincerity. You're not sincere if you say you dislike something, but you are sincere if it's the worst travesty you've ever witnessed in life and want the perpetrator punished mightily for their inexcusable transgression!!!!! Now I exaggerate there for effect but I admit I'm not sincere. To further exaggerate in insincere manner, I have to sponge off my computer monitor when some people start crying about the issue of the Apirl Fool's joke. If you want to get upset about the joke, get upset because it was lame.

And I think that's the biggest reason Hasbro felt like making fun of us about this issue. We make ourselves into caricatures by taking a one to ten scale and describing everything as either a hundred million quadrillion google times infinity or negative a hundred million quadrillion google times infinity.

bigbarada
04-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Thank you! :yes:

Thank you.:thumbsup:

My advice, if you guys find yourselves getting this angry about TOYS, then maybe it's time you did take a break from collecting for a few months, even a couple of years.

It did wonders for me. Now I'm back into collecting because I'm having fun at it. I don't have a goal or a "must-make" checklist, I don't even feel compelled to buy anything anymore. I just buy what I like and I've been about 80% satisfied with everything that Hasbro has put out in the last year or so.

If Hasbro were to cancel the Star Wars line tonight and never make another toy, I'd be fine with that. Hasbro doesn't owe me anything.

It's getting to the point where I'm actually starting to understand Hasbro's frustration (which leads them to make jokes like the "Yarna wave" last year). They're putting out the best Star Wars figures ever made on a consistent basis and all they hear is complaints and hate-mail. It seems that the higher the overall quality of the Star Wars line goes, the more angry and impossible to please the collectors get.

I actually thought the "Yarna wave" joke was funny, since (with the exception of Yarna) I wouldn't waste my money on a single one of those ridiculous "action figures." People actually want 'dead' action figures? Are you kidding me? :stupid: And what's this Willrow Hood nonsense? It almost seems like a couple of Star Wars fans have a wager on 'what is the absolute stupidest Star Wars figure we can nag Hasbro into producing?'

Sorry to say it, but if this is what the fans are "clamoring" for, then maybe Hasbro is right in thinking that we are a bunch of idiots.

bigbarada
04-29-2007, 12:52 AM
We make ourselves into caricatures by taking a one to ten scale and describing everything as either a hundred million quadrillion google times infinity or negative a hundred million quadrillion google times infinity.

Excellent point!

jedi master sal
04-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Instead of issuing an ultimatum, I'll just gladly taper my collecting so that I'm happy with what I'm buying. No more Battle rePacks or Commemortive Tin sets or things of that nature that are WAY too expensive for what you get - I'm only going to buy the basic figures and the odd small set/vehicle that I really like. I just wish I could have been this way from the beginning.

Amen brother!

I'm sure a lot of us wish we would have done this too.

DarkArtist
04-29-2007, 09:34 AM

Hey I have been saying something like this along. Hasbro is going to release product that some people want and don't want. my advice is just buy what you want and leave the rest.

however the one plead I do have and this is in no way attacking anyone, if you army build, please leave some of the troops on the pegs. was in Target yesterday and they had just restocked the first wave of the TAC line with three fresh cases of figures. I watched as one guy picked up every single Galactic Marine, Airborne Trooper, and Concept Stormie. while some kids picked up the Mace's and Kenobi's as well as Artoo's. all that was left was some Lava Miners and a few Kenobi's.

I asked the guy if he would mine giving up some of his clones for the kids who were looking for them and he said, I was here first, besides these will sell for about $15 on ebay. I told they guy he was a jerk, to which he responded with "yes but soon to be a rich jerk."

Droid
04-29-2007, 02:12 PM
You're not sincere if you say you dislike something, but you are sincere if it's the worst travesty you've ever witnessed in life and want the perpetrator punished mightily for their inexcusable transgression!!!!!

That is really funny. Well put.

Droid
04-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I told they guy he was a jerk, to which he responded with "yes but soon to be a rich jerk."

He may have been a jerk, but you have to admit that's funny.

jjreason
04-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah, rich on the extra $30 or $40 bucks he made - at the expense of the kids. Awesome, every home should have a village idiot like that one.

jedi master sal
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey I have been saying something like this along. Hasbro is going to release product that some people want and don't want. my advice is just buy what you want and leave the rest.

however the one plead I do have and this is in no way attacking anyone, if you army build, please leave some of the troops on the pegs. was in Target yesterday and they had just restocked the first wave of the TAC line with three fresh cases of figures. I watched as one guy picked up every single Galactic Marine, Airborne Trooper, and Concept Stormie. while some kids picked up the Mace's and Kenobi's as well as Artoo's. all that was left was some Lava Miners and a few Kenobi's.

I asked the guy if he would mine giving up some of his clones for the kids who were looking for them and he said, I was here first, besides these will sell for about $15 on ebay. I told they guy he was a jerk, to which he responded with "yes but soon to be a rich jerk."

There'sa a small flaw in your post though. It almost reads as though you are balming army builders as eBay sellers. I can assure you I do not nor ever have sold a figure on eBay. As far as my particular army building habits, I have fellow collectors from all over the country who help me. Most of which are here on SSG. Usually it's two or three here or there. Never so much as to dry up a whole area of army builders. I've been quite aware of that for years and took measures to build up a network of collecting friends who can get me just a few figs each. This doesn't takes away from kids as the paultry few I get from all over is by no means enough to keep kids from getting them, plus it's usually not a problem for my collecting friends to get just a few figures. On top of that in a small (very small) way, my buying in other areas, helps to get new figures on the pegs in those peoples areas.

So I'll ask you NOT to lump in army builers with eBay sellers. There is a HUGE difference. Also most army builders are not as extremem as me and keep their respective "armies" to about 10 of a figure. Since many of us can visit several stores, spreading that number out it's not so much the fault of army builers as one may think. There are many casual collectors/kids who buy 2, 3 or 4 of a specific figure. ot really army builders, but that must also be considered. Then take into accoutn 1/1 (1 loose/ 1 carded) collectors.

Again in my specific case as one of the few extreme army builders, I have a network in place that keeps from draining my local area or any other area for that matter.

Ok, back to our previously scheduled thread...

DarkArtist
04-30-2007, 10:40 AM
There'sa a small flaw in your post though. It almost reads as though you are balming army builders as eBay sellers. I can assure you I do not nor ever have sold a figure on eBay. As far as my particular army building habits, I have fellow collectors from all over the country who help me. Most of which are here on SSG. Usually it's two or three here or there. Never so much as to dry up a whole area of army builders. I've been quite aware of that for years and took measures to build up a network of collecting friends who can get me just a few figs each. This doesn't takes away from kids as the paultry few I get from all over is by no means enough to keep kids from getting them, plus it's usually not a problem for my collecting friends to get just a few figures. On top of that in a small (very small) way, my buying in other areas, helps to get new figures on the pegs in those peoples areas.

So I'll ask you NOT to lump in army builers with eBay sellers. There is a HUGE difference. Also most army builders are not as extremem as me and keep their respective "armies" to about 10 of a figure. Since many of us can visit several stores, spreading that number out it's not so much the fault of army builers as one may think. There are many casual collectors/kids who buy 2, 3 or 4 of a specific figure. ot really army builders, but that must also be considered. Then take into accoutn 1/1 (1 loose/ 1 carded) collectors.

Again in my specific case as one of the few extreme army builders, I have a network in place that keeps from draining my local area or any other area for that matter.

Ok, back to our previously scheduled thread...

sorry about that sal but I too am a troop builder so I would also be blaming myself as well. I guess what I meant to say was leave some of the figures that are in demand and rare. the example of the scalper buying all the clones was because the clones are in high demand as well as the concept stormie being rare, and it sounds that almost everyone here is coming up dry on TAC Hunts by just finding leftovers of Kenobi, Mace and R2.

If I have offended anyone on this forum then I truely apologize for that was not my intent. The point I was trying to make and again forgive me if this comes out wrong:

It seems that many are complaining about the various repaints, re-releases and thousands of Vaders that clog the pegs. My point is Hasbro is not forcing you to buy everything, just buy what you like. However, remember that there are other fans out there who also want the hard to find, short packed, rare figures like Clones and other troop building guys. as far as the concept figures, they too have there own market, perhaps the kids will not care for them as much as the die hard fans but still leave a few on the pegs and come back another day. Remember, this is a big community of fans who want these figures just as much as the next person.

So if I have offended people once again I am sorry.

jedi master sal
04-30-2007, 03:06 PM
I just didn't want army builders to be seen in the same light as scalpers.

Thanks for clearing that up.
-Sal