PDA

View Full Version : Action Fleet Limelight

darktrooper7
04-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Hey guys...well i just finished my new AF display cabinet and im pretty happy with the results (some of you may have seen it on RS too!).

I thought we could make this thread about showing off how you display your action fleet, so post your pics up!

So heres my new cabinet -

Display Pic (http://www.ignitecomputers.com.au/display.jpg):) (http://www.ignitecomputers.com.au/display.jpg)

You can see my titanium protos on the bottom left and a couple of my AF protos (MTT and E-wing) on the bottom right. Ill post some close up shots soon :)

RJarvis
04-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Hey guys...well i just finished my new AF display cabinet and im pretty happy with the results (some of you may have seen it on RS too!).

I thought we could make this thread about showing off how you display your action fleet, so post your pics up!

So heres my new cabinet -

Display Pic (http://www.ignitecomputers.com.au/display.jpg):) (http://www.ignitecomputers.com.au/display.jpg)

You can see my titanium protos on the bottom left and a couple of my AF protos (MTT and E-wing) on the bottom right. Ill post some close up shots soon :)

holy cats that's amazing!...did you do the work yourself or have it done by someone else? either way, that's a phenomenal display!

unfortunately mine are no longer displayed...we moved into a much smaller house and there's just no room to display anything larger than a single mm at the moment :(

thanks for the pics...looking forward to more!

rj

darktrooper7
04-18-2007, 01:14 AM
holy cats that's amazing!...did you do the work yourself or have it done by someone else? either way, that's a phenomenal display!

unfortunately mine are no longer displayed...we moved into a much smaller house and there's just no room to display anything larger than a single mm at the moment :(

thanks for the pics...looking forward to more!

rj

Thanks for the comments! :thumbsup:

Yeh i built it myself. The front is cnc machined from a single sheet of MDF. I drew it up in CAD and had a friend machine it on his router. The back is a polycarb mirror, the shelves are glass and the front is UV coated lexan. The lights are all LED :D

RobertDD
04-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Imprrrresive......No really, that is amazing!

Jangu Fett
04-18-2007, 03:00 PM
That looks incredible. I wish, I was that skilled. All my AF are on simple wall shelves.

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Great work, looks very SW! I'd be too afraid to light mine for fear of the lights damaging the ships (I'm not clear on how much UV and IR those LEDs put out), but that looks very nifty, I may reconsider. What lights are you using on the bottom half? Are they just banks of LEDs instead of spots?

What Titanium protos ya got?

That's cool, I have one of those E-wing boxed test shots too, mine is milky semi-translucent white with hot pink and clear (I can't tell what accent color is on yours).

darktrooper7
04-21-2007, 03:18 AM
Great work, looks very SW! I'd be too afraid to light mine for fear of the lights damaging the ships (I'm not clear on how much UV and IR those LEDs put out), but that looks very nifty, I may reconsider. What lights are you using on the bottom half? Are they just banks of LEDs instead of spots?

What Titanium protos ya got?

That's cool, I have one of those E-wing boxed test shots too, mine is milky semi-translucent white with hot pink and clear (I can't tell what accent color is on yours).

I am totally paranoid about UV and heat too, which is why i put in LED's. They are supposed to be zero UV and basically zero heat too. You can have them on for a few hours and they are basically cool to the touch! I dont leave the lights on all that much anyway.

The top has LED swivel down lights and the bottom has LED light bars - they are about 600mm long. Both are super bright and i had to shop around to find ones that give a decent light not just "mood lighting".

In terms of protos, i have a fair few - the Ewing sounds the same as yours, it came from Rick Schmidt, who you may know. In AF, I also have a sand crawler, a-wing, cloud car, 3 x-wings, 3 falcons, DV Tie, dewback, Flash speeder, MTT in test production colours, a boxed preview Theed set with the Gian Speeder, and a hand painted dagobah xwing test. Ive also got a 1:1 hand painted proto Mars Guo speeder which was in toy fair, and a scaled down Neva Kees resin proto. I think thats all of them from memory!

In Titanium i have - Ultra slave, xwing, DV tie and snow speeder. In normal titanium i have an xwing, darth maul speeder, leia speeder and an atat :)

I also have the unproduced Anakin transforming head and Watto's Shop sets and resin casts of both the unproduced Obi Wan and Nute Gunray head.

Im actually working on a website to showcase my collection so you will get to see everything soon (i hope!) :)

ascmclarencoupe
04-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Very nice. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing. I may have to re-think my display cabinet ideas now. ;)

Where are the helmets from? They appear to be Riddell's but you have several more that what I am aware of that were produced.

darktrooper7
04-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Very nice. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing. I may have to re-think my display cabinet ideas now. ;)

Where are the helmets from? They appear to be Riddell's but you have several more that what I am aware of that were produced.

They are the micro machine transforming head playsets :)

britcit3
04-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Holy frak!

BC3

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 06:20 PM
I am totally paranoid about UV and heat too, which is why i put in LED's. They are supposed to be zero UV and basically zero heat too. You can have them on for a few hours and they are basically cool to the touch! I dont leave the lights on all that much anyway.That's good to hear that they're supposed to be zero UV, they may have a lot of IR but I could be wrong about that too. The temp thing is nifty, I have a few LED flashlights with those LED bulbs so I'm used to that. They're also low-power-usage.

The top has LED swivel down lights and the bottom has LED light bars - they are about 600mm long. Both are super bright and i had to shop around to find ones that give a decent light not just "mood lighting".AH! Lightbars on the bottom, that explains it. The light on them seems to be more white while the top ones are more blue, this could just be because of the amount of LEDs though.

In terms of protos, i have a fair few - the Ewing sounds the same as yours, it came from Rick Schmidt, who you may know. Doesn't ring a bell, but I'm not into the proto thing, I can't afford it. Mine came direct from Galoob's Jim Fong, a bunch of us got them in a contest on the Galoob Buzz Board where everybody who entered got something good.

In AF, I also have a sand crawler, a-wing, cloud car, 3 x-wings, 3 falcons, DV Tie, dewback, Flash speeder, MTT in test production colours, a boxed preview Theed set with the Gian Speeder, and a hand painted dagobah xwing test. Ive also got a 1:1 hand painted proto Mars Guo speeder which was in toy fair, and a scaled down Neva Kees resin proto. I think thats all of them from memory!Niiice collection!!! Have you opened up the Falcons to see if the inscription is in them, or would they be damaged from that?

In Titanium i have - Ultra slave, xwing, DV tie and snow speeder. In normal titanium i have an xwing, darth maul speeder, leia speeder and an atat :)

I also have the unproduced Anakin transforming head and Watto's Shop sets and resin casts of both the unproduced Obi Wan and Nute Gunray head.

Im actually working on a website to showcase my collection so you will get to see everything soon (i hope!) :)Sounds very cool, don't forget to link us when it's done!

One question, why are your platform playsets (the non-transforming ones) ziploc bagged instead of just on display?

darktrooper7
04-21-2007, 06:28 PM
One question, why are your platform playsets (the non-transforming ones) ziploc bagged instead of just on display?

I havent quite setup the bottom half yet, so i just put them there so i could see where they all fit. Im not sure what i want to do with the bottom in terms of a cover. I was going to leave it open, but with the playsets if they get dusty they are hard to clean, so im looking at covering it with lexan too.

So yeh they will all be out of the zip bags, just not quite done but since I was pretty happy with the top and wanted to share it asap :D

cloneemperor
04-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Looks pretty sweet. All I have are shelves crammed full.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I havent quite setup the bottom half yet, so i just put them there so i could see where they all fit.Ah, ok, that explains it then.

Im not sure what i want to do with the bottom in terms of a cover. I was going to leave it open, but with the playsets if they get dusty they are hard to clean, so im looking at covering it with lexan too.I think you have to cover the bottom, or else it'll look too much like a store shelf and not enough like a personal display - the open underside is how a lot of comic and specialty stores are around here.

So yeh they will all be out of the zip bags, just not quite done but since I was pretty happy with the top and wanted to share it asap :DAwesome, good choice! :thumbsup:

Looks pretty sweet. All I have are shelves crammed full.Yeah, same here.

ascmclarencoupe
04-23-2007, 03:29 PM
They are the micro machine transforming head playsets :)

I wasn't aware of those. Now I have something else to start looking for. ;)

sergiurusu
04-24-2007, 04:41 AM
MOST IMPRESSIVE!!:thumbsup:

RobertDD
11-16-2007, 12:26 PM
I hope it's OK to resurrect this topic. That is one great case, DT (are you still around).

I was wondering what exact type of LED light you are using here?

Darth Duranium
11-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Wow doesn't cover it... amazing. Inspired choice to go with the star destroyer bridge look... outstanding job.

I'm using banks of cool blue LEDs for my "Wall". They look amazing at night, are cool (temperature-wise)... got 'em from IKEA... they just stick to the top of the shelf. I use them for like, 6 hours at a time and they've lasted 2 years so far with no change in brightness. It's my cheap solution.

One drawback is that the blue slightly washes out some colours (like red) and things like the pink turrets on the Titanium Republic Gunship (Clone Wars repaint) glow like a lightsaber. But the white LEDs are too bright, IMO. They look like they're in space with the blue.

I priced out Lexan at Home Depot... holy smokes, that display must have set you back a few bucks. How thick did you go? How big is that sucker?

Sadly, I own no protos but have almost everything else AF and Titanium... looking forward to more pics and websites. Would like to see the E-wing proto close up...

I saw an Action Fleet Death Star on eBay recently that was white in colour... not grey. Definitely white. Was this possibly a proto or just a variant?

sergiurusu
11-17-2007, 04:19 AM
I saw an Action Fleet Death Star on eBay recently that was white in colour... not grey. Definitely white. Was this possibly a proto or just a variant?

A link maybe? Or screenshot? Could be the photo taken with flash and thus could look different. But would be cool to see the pics.

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 04:01 AM
With white LEDs, can you wire up a resistor or a potentiometer to weaken the electricity and thus dim the lights? Alternately, I suppose you could put filters or plastic over them to diffuse them, they're not going to heat up.

Darth Duranium
11-18-2007, 12:00 PM
I don't think you can lower the voltage with LEDs... I think that they're either on or off D/C. I could be wrong but I don't think it works the same way as incandescent bulbs...if you want less light, you use lower output LEDs.

I love the blue LEDs anyway...the stands disappear and the ships seem to float in the air.

I didn't copy the pic of the white AF Death Star but I'm pretty sure it was an auction from France on eBay.

It was arctic white, not grey like the one I've got.. but otherwise identical. I guess that it must be a proto... thought it looked weird but thought it might be part of an AF playset I hadn't seen before.

I don't do the proto thing (too poor) but I regret not bidding... I think it went for like, $8. Duh.

JediTricks
11-18-2007, 02:46 PM
A resistor or pot will do it, but it'll take some finessing to get to light and then adjust: http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/led_dimmer.htm

Apparently, you could use an LED driver with dimming control (and now the word "dimming" looks incredibly weird after seeing it a few times).

Eight bucks!?!??!?! AAAAAAGGGGH!! Man, that's cheap!

Darth Duranium
11-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow... looks horrendously complicated for a freakin' dimmer switch... but I am no electrician. Good to know it can be done, tho. Looks like a huge undimming pain in the arse, for my skill level.

Don't think my cheapass IKEA stick-on bars are up to the challenge... but they rock as-is where they are.

Shame about the white Death Star proto... if I'd only known the true path to the dark side was located in France. I think the reason I didn't bid was that the shipping would have been like 30 euros to Canada... and I just wasn't sure if it was a stock item or not. Frack.

Y'now, I even went to my wall to compare my AF DS... and the loose eBay one was painted distinctly differently and was mostly white. The mould looked the same otherwise and the size was identical.

38 euros is totally worth it for one of you North American AF proto collectors, I expect. How much do the protos go for on eBay? What's ballpark?

darktrooper7
11-20-2007, 05:29 AM
I hope it's OK to resurrect this topic. That is one great case, DT (are you still around).

I was wondering what exact type of LED light you are using here?

Yup still around from time to time :)

Heres a link to the light bars i used: http://www.ledshoponline.com/led_lightbar.htm#650mm

The downlight type are similar to these although not exact
http://www.ledshoponline.com/halogen_replacement.htm

darktrooper7
11-20-2007, 05:37 AM
Wow doesn't cover it... amazing. Inspired choice to go with the star destroyer bridge look... outstanding job.

I'm using banks of cool blue LEDs for my "Wall". They look amazing at night, are cool (temperature-wise)... got 'em from IKEA... they just stick to the top of the shelf. I use them for like, 6 hours at a time and they've lasted 2 years so far with no change in brightness. It's my cheap solution.

One drawback is that the blue slightly washes out some colours (like red) and things like the pink turrets on the Titanium Republic Gunship (Clone Wars repaint) glow like a lightsaber. But the white LEDs are too bright, IMO. They look like they're in space with the blue.

I priced out Lexan at Home Depot... holy smokes, that display must have set you back a few bucks. How thick did you go? How big is that sucker?

Sadly, I own no protos but have almost everything else AF and Titanium... looking forward to more pics and websites. Would like to see the E-wing proto close up...

My lexan is 5mm thick (which was totally overkill and weighs a ton). If i did it again i would use 2 or 3mm. I get it wholesale through my business but from memory it was still expensive. The poly mirrors at the back were dear too, i think about AUD$200. The cabinet it self is about 2m wide, 1.8m tall and varies from 300mm deep to about 500mm at its deepest.

The website is still in the work (albeit VERY slowly) since ive been too busy recently to think about it :)

I have a few titanium protos and they are mostly white so it could have been a proto.

With white LEDs, can you wire up a resistor or a potentiometer to weaken the electricity and thus dim the lights? Alternately, I suppose you could put filters or plastic over them to diffuse them, they're not going to heat up.

Yes you can definately do this, and in fact in my back yard i wired up LED "pavers" which i then had laid in with the regular tiles which gives a great effect but if you are out there at night it can get a bit bright up close so i wired in a potentiometer and it works great. You can dial up anything from about 20% brightness to 100%. Anything below 20% there isnt enough juice to get the LEDs going. And its cheap...a couple bucks for a large size pot (one with a knob u can turn without a screw driver)

JediTricks
11-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow... looks horrendously complicated for a freakin' dimmer switch... but I am no electrician. Good to know it can be done, tho. Looks like a huge undimming pain in the arse, for my skill level.

Don't think my cheapass IKEA stick-on bars are up to the challenge... but they rock as-is where they are.It reads more complex than it really is, and you can always buy prefab components to do it, a potentiometer is very inexpensive, one of those cheapo items you can get at Radio Shack for a couple bucks. The LEDs will be able to handle it provided you don't go OVER the voltage & amperage they need (it'll be written on the bottom). Then it's just wiring stuff together, you don't even need to solder if you have good crimping caps (you screw them over the crimped-together wire leads).

38 euros is totally worth it for one of you North American AF proto collectors, I expect. How much do the protos go for on eBay? What's ballpark?Low to mid hundreds, I believe.

My lexan is 5mm thick (which was totally overkill and weighs a ton). If i did it again i would use 2 or 3mm. I get it wholesale through my business but from memory it was still expensive. The poly mirrors at the back were dear too, i think about AUD$200. The cabinet it self is about 2m wide, 1.8m tall and varies from 300mm deep to about 500mm at its deepest.Does it cause a significant weight increase with those 2 different thicknesses? I'm not very familiar with lexan, but you're talking about a 40% to 60% increase of materials, right?

Yes you can definately do this, and in fact in my back yard i wired up LED "pavers" which i then had laid in with the regular tiles which gives a great effect but if you are out there at night it can get a bit bright up close so i wired in a potentiometer and it works great. You can dial up anything from about 20% brightness to 100%. Anything below 20% there isnt enough juice to get the LEDs going. And its cheap...a couple bucks for a large size pot (one with a knob u can turn without a screw driver)Those clear tiles? Those look great in general, and that's a very good idea to have that pot there, sounds cool. My wiring skills suck but that sounds like a really cool project. Ever considered wiring in a photodiode so when the light goes down it automatically turns them down? Could throw on an override switch connected to your pot so you could turn them up or further down as you desired.

darktrooper7
11-21-2007, 04:22 AM
Does it cause a significant weight increase with those 2 different thicknesses? I'm not very familiar with lexan, but you're talking about a 40% to 60% increase of materials, right?

Well i havent got any 2mm or 3mm handy but it is a lot lighter. The front panel of my cabinet i would say weighs probably 10-15kg so it is pretty weighty. Cause its so big and up high it can be hard to lift off by myself (i take off the whole panel to access the inside since it is too big to hinge) but i have managed ok so far!

Those clear tiles? Those look great in general, and that's a very good idea to have that pot there, sounds cool. My wiring skills suck but that sounds like a really cool project. Ever considered wiring in a photodiode so when the light goes down it automatically turns them down? Could throw on an override switch connected to your pot so you could turn them up or further down as you desired.

Yeh thats a cool idea but i just have a timer on it and they come on around dusk and i have them adjusted to a good brightness so its sort of the same effect :)

Shame about the white Death Star proto... if I'd only known the true path to the dark side was located in France. I think the reason I didn't bid was that the shipping would have been like 30 euros to Canada... and I just wasn't sure if it was a stock item or not. Frack.

Y'now, I even went to my wall to compare my AF DS... and the loose eBay one was painted distinctly differently and was mostly white. The mould looked the same otherwise and the size was identical.

38 euros is totally worth it for one of you North American AF proto collectors, I expect. How much do the protos go for on eBay? What's ballpark?

Do you have a link to the auction??? Id be interested to see it :)

Darth Duranium
12-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Thought there might be a few Action Fleet proto collectors interested in this one... I guess it'd be considered a proto...unpainted metal and resin parts.

I smell a proto...from Titanium Ultra, the bastard Son of Action Fleet.
R.I.P. to both lines. Amen.

ebay item #300176282110

I don't do the prototype thang so I thought I'd pass it on to you drooling proto maniacs. A proverbial shout-out to ma peeps, yo.

Pics below... I like the non-paint on the body but the unpainted flight pods look a little sparse to me.

Considering the regular painted version is annoyingly purple, the metal is an improvement, in my view. Some detailing would have been nice... a lot to ask for in an unpainted proto... still cool, though.

By the way, I'm not the seller nor do I live in Taipei. But I do love Chinese food... those dim sum dumplings are awesome.

Anyhoo, lemme know if you win or bid on the auction... it's at $60 right now.

I'd settle on a Action Fleet Alpha Droid Fighter as my finder's fee... the only one I'm missing (argh!). Is that asking so much? lol

sergiurusu
12-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Nice find. I'm not into protos either but this looks cool

JediTricks
12-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm thinking this looks more like a test shot than a proto.

darktrooper7
12-02-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm thinking this looks more like a test shot than a proto.

Yeh its a test shot...but its still part of the development so i still consider it a proto ;)

Pre-production would probably be more accurate though.

Well i might throw my hat in the ring and have a go even though i am not into BSG at all...$60 isnt too bad if it goes for that

JediTricks
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Good luck to ya, let us know how it turns out.

Darth Duranium
12-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Good luck, darktrooper7... and don't forget my finder's fee, dude.:grin: I'd even settle for some frickin' chinese dumplings.

Yeah, I'd say the word prototype covers it... hard to be more specific considering the lack of definitive info. It's obvious that it has never seen paint... I don't think you could remove the paint and have it look like that.

You'll have to take a pic once it's in your display unit.

RobertDD
12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
[...]Well i might throw my hat in the ring and have a go even though i am not into BSG at all...$60 isnt too bad if it goes for that

Auction over: no bids, and I agree with ya, Darktrooper, $60 + Darth Titanium's finders fee is just too much!

darktrooper7
12-04-2007, 08:30 PM
:grin:
Auction over: no bids, and I agree with ya, Darktrooper, $60 + Darth Titanium's finders fee is just too much!

Actually i just missed the end of the auction by accident....lol

Im talking to the seller at the moment about the galactica and him also trying to hunt down some of the star wars ultras for me....fingers crossed! :)

Darth Duranium
12-04-2007, 11:09 PM
All right, I'll skip the dumplings and settle for the Alpha Droid Fighter... unboxed.

Sheesh... I just can't stop giving.

Good luck with the Ultra protos Taiwanese guy... it sounds quite promising. The seller looks legit, too.

RobertDD
12-05-2007, 10:11 AM
:grin:
Actually i just missed the end of the auction by accident....lol

Im talking to the seller at the moment about the galactica and him also trying to hunt down some of the star wars ultras for me....fingers crossed! :)
Here's hoping you come back with something good (and I take dibs on those unproduced podracers if he has them) (better PM me about that, actually) :D

darktrooper7
12-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Here's hoping you come back with something good (and I take dibs on those unproduced podracers if he has them) (better PM me about that, actually) :D

Ive got a Neva Kees podracer hand painted prototype already...lol ;)

I think the only things he may come up with will be released Ultras, doubt there will be any unproduced stuff there

RobertDD
12-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Ive got a Neva Kees podracer hand painted prototype already...lol ;)

You better be kidding me, how did you get a hold of that?

I don't care for proto's much, but the unproduced podracers, spider droid, speeders, mon calamari, a-wing and star destroyer, boy, I'd give an arm and a leg for those.

darktrooper7
12-09-2007, 11:16 PM
You better be kidding me, how did you get a hold of that?

I don't care for proto's much, but the unproduced podracers, spider droid, speeders, mon calamari, a-wing and star destroyer, boy, I'd give an arm and a leg for those.

No not kidding...lol ...i still REALLY want to build my unproduced collection and id love to find some of the other pieces out there too :)

Ill post some photos when i get a chance. My other unproduced items are micromachines. I have a hand painted Nute Gunray head mm playset (head only casting- doesnt open), wattos shop mm playset (full boxed playset), obi-wan head mm playset (again casting only), anakin head playset (full playset)

They all came from various places, some ebay, some privately.

darktrooper7
12-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Just had a quick look on my work pc and i have a couple of small thumbnails that i can share now :)

RobertDD
12-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Those pics are great, but I want to hear the story on how you got the unproduced pod!

darktrooper7
12-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Those pics are great, but I want to hear the story on how you got the unproduced pod!

I bought it from an ex-galoob employee...not much of a story really, just emailed and asked if it was for sale. Paid an arm and a leg but it was worth it! :)

I also got a hard copy of the Mars Guo pod racer too.

RobertDD
12-11-2007, 07:30 AM
You lucky, lucky man. I do not know what an arm and a leg is, but way back when some employee sold his copies on ebay (Boles Roor and Neeva Kee, he had them both), I stopped bidding at around $1300 or so (I did have some xs cash back then, these days my wife would kill me if I ever paid that for a toy, lol). If you paid less I'd say you got a deal!

What's a hard copy? Is that like a test shot?