PDA

View Full Version : Kashyyyk Diorama Advice - JediMasterSal, Battle Droid, please join in

Tycho
04-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Everyone can offer advice.

Currently available from Saga2 are the Battle Droid 2-packs and Camaouflaged Super Battle Droid figures.

When constructing a diorama, realism as well as asthetics are things you consider.

I bought tons of both types of droids (and destroyers) whenever a good price presented itself (at Cons, wherever).

For Kashyyyk, you'd obviously utilize a swamp / bayou / forrested setting for your diorama.

Realistically, a camo-deco'd droid army would blend in better and hide.

1) Were they camo'd in the movie? I'll check in a few minutes perhaps, but I don't think they were.

2) I think the Separatists didn't use that many humanoid-form droids. They used Corporate Alliance Tank Droids and Commerce Guild Droid Gunships, and Homing Spider Droids. I think you saw some Battle Droids riding the Tank Droids, "Charge!" but there weren't standing, marching armies like in TPM or on Geonosis. Or at least not in the first attack waves. They weren't trying to hide anyway.

Ashthetically,

1) Wouldn't the brown battle droids (or white ones) stand out the most and accent your diorama better? (I mean you have the absense of any of the "vehicle droids" to deal with at the moment anyway, so you want the Clones and AT-RT and Wookiee Flyer to be fighting something, right? It makes the Droid Army more imposing if you use a solid color in the forest background, like they have no fear and no need to covertly skulk about in the woods. The Separatists employed a full frontal assault.

Yes, I'm trying to talk myself out of replacing my Kashyyyk droid army, but I don't want to take the opposite route and spend the money, open the figures, and regret how the setup looks.

Has anyone done a setup yet? Pictures? What do you think?

figrin bran
04-19-2007, 09:33 PM
the battle droids weren't camo'd in the movie so using the brown droids would be both more realistic and more aesthetic.

jedi master sal
04-20-2007, 03:25 PM
If you mean using the tan ones as in Ep1, then yes use those.

The Battle droids were not Camo in ROTS.

I've been amassing a specific battle droid army slowly but surely just for this purpose.

Good luck Tycho, show your pics when you get them. It's going to be awhile for me before I can make the diorama I want to.

-Sal

pbarnard
04-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Are you going to use the Endor tree method over at niennunbsuniverse.com for your forest? What sort of area are you talking about as well? The larger area, go with the movie accurate colors. If it is small, go with the cammo ones because there is no need to have them stand out as much because there won't be as much going on with it so they won't be hidden.

Tycho
04-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Well, we all should probably answer pbarnard's question. But I can only respond for myself.

Most of my dioramas will be contained in 6 foot long "jewelry display cases" - the kind of fixtures that vendors take in to the conventions for their booths, with the glass fronts, etc. I was about to link to the pics I had on NiubNiubsUniverse, but the site is down right now, as is Galactic Hunter. Curious...

Anyway, that the displays are covered and only 18" wide (note custom cases that are made to be about 21" wide will be required for any displaying the Republic Gunship :rolleyes: - it's a big sucker! ) fit snug against the walls like terraniums or how you might keep a pet snake, etc. I don't breathe well with dust, so my displays need to be covered and easily cleaned. I also don't like to re-set stuff up after I get it how I want it. I have enough diorama interests that I'd rather be making something new, while still able to admire the old, But I test-set accordingly and buy what I think I'll need. For example, my battle droid columns for TPM use only 15 in 3 rows of 5. It suggests the idea, I have them outnumber the Gungans by only using 8 or so of them in their main infantry lines, but I do not have to go overboard. You can see 8 Gungans without getting dizzy looking at them in the 10's or 20's, and the idea gets across, the display stays unobtrusive in my living area as well.

I test-set Kashyyyk before my forced relocation and was only using 9 Super Battle Droids it seemed. (pics at the bottom).

At the time they did not make the Scout Trooper 41st Elite Special Ops figures and I had too many AOTC 3-pack figures left over and thus I thought I'd use them because Kashyyyk was not to important in the grand scheme of things. (I was also actually sick of buying clones at the time) That has changed now and I think I have 7 Kashyyyk Clones. I guess if I picked up 3 more, I could replace all the ones in my picture below and have an extra to confront Yoda with Commander Gree in a separate scene.

However, as you can tell by what I have, the Separatists have NOTHING and need 2 Corporate Alliance Tank Droids at least, and a Commerce Guild Droid Gunship (a small Spider Droid is kind of cut off at the edge of the picture).

Now that I found these pictures on my hard-drive, I am glad I used the traditional Super Battle Droids. They weren't seen in the movie on Kashyyyk that I recall, but they stand out nicely in opposition to the Wookiees.

The Clones need a TurboTank as well, btw. I don't care so much if we get a swamp speeder because I want the sides sort of evenly matched and the Wookiee-Clone force has too much fire power right now as it is.

First Kashyyyk test set (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11826&d=1122234668)

Next part of Kashyyyk Test set (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11827&d=1122234668)