PDA

View Full Version : New & Improved Star Wars Insider

jonthejedi
04-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Who's gotten theirs..and what do you think. I kinda liked IDG's treatment better. I get several other mags like 24 & Lost occassionally, also published by Titan. Seems like too much splashy pinups & ads. I hope SW doesn't follow suit.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I haven't yet. My subscription was supposed to run out in May/June (this issue), but did you have to re-subscribe for this new one?

jonthejedi
04-20-2007, 05:18 AM
No...it just carried over into the new publisher. My sub. runs out with the July/Aug issue.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Due to crappy customer service, I let my subscription go a couple years ago. I plan on getting the new one from a book seller next week to see if it's any better.

Rocketboy
04-20-2007, 11:07 PM
The New Insider - Its like seeing a new Han Solo figure, then realizing its the commtech Han.

El Chuxter
04-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Is it new and improved so that it doesn't suck anymore?

DarthQuack
04-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Can something really be new AND improved? It's either one of the other....:razz:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Somewhere, somehow I had read that it was coming out on newstands next week, but I found it today. It really looks like it used to, but then I haven't seen it for a couple years. The info is interesting so far (about 20 pages read), especially the Indy 4 stuff. I don't think I'll be resuming my subsrciption.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I forgot to add, but this came in the mail the same day I posted in this thread the first time . . . weird . . .

With the last publisher, I often had the feeling that they had no idea what the hell they were doing (though it still had some great moments). This new issue is already a lot better, to me, and I love the article on the 50 things you didn't know about ANH. It just seems more "polished" than before and had some better content (though this of course changes every time).

stillakid
05-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Can something really be new AND improved? It's either one of the other....:razz:

Not necessarily. If, say, The Pittsburgh Steelers released all of the current players and replaced them with NEW players but still retained the name, "The Pittsburgh Steelers," then the Pittsburgh Steelers would be new and improved. :) Well, new anyway. We'd have to see them play a few games to find out about the improved part.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Not necessarily. If, say, The Pittsburgh Steelers released all of the current players and replaced them with NEW players but still retained the name, "The Pittsburgh Steelers," then the Pittsburgh Steelers would be new and improved. :) Well, new anyway. We'd have to see them play a few games to find out about the improved part.Or... if the Cleveland Browns were taken from the city and sent to Baltimore as a "new" team with the all-time team records, but then the "new" Cleveland Browns later become an expansion team and get their records back but Baltimore wins a Super Bowl, is the bounty on Art Modell still valid? :p

General_Grievous
05-22-2007, 02:11 AM
After picking up this issue I have to say this publisher is doing a better job than the previous one.

C5Jedi
05-22-2007, 05:49 AM
After picking up this issue I have to say this publisher is doing a better job than the previous one.

That's not saying much. :D A three year old could be doing a better job than the previous one.

The fan club went down hill the last few years and I'm letting my subscription expire after being a member since the original and early Bantha Tracks days.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-20-2008, 07:27 PM
The 100th issue is out. They have the top 100 cool things about SW... with some "interesting" choices. Some shouldn't be so high, are far too low, and shouldn't have even been ranked. Discuss?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-20-2008, 08:01 PM
The 100th issue is out. They have the top 100 cool things about SW... with some "interesting" choices. Some shouldn't be so high, are far too low, and shouldn't have even been ranked. Discuss?
They had the same list in Delta Source or one of those kinds of e-mails a few months ago, so it was kind of "been there, done that" for me. I dunno. I really wish they'd put some new stuff in there instead of focusing on old stuff all the time . . . they had some Force Unelashed stories, but again, that seemed like old news already.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Time for a list (LISTS!! ) about a list...

Shouldn't have been listed at all:
88. R4-P17
84. P-38 Starfighter
63. Pash Cracken (even the mag said this was a bad choice)
57. Aarrba the Hutt (see above)
47. Ask Aak

Listed too high:
22. Darth Bandon (maybe not even list-worthy)
23. Darth Malak (see above)
31. Republic Atack Cruiser (last 20 perhaps)
35. Jek Porkins (maybe a last 50 nod)
41. Anakin Solo (not mentioned enough; top 90)

Listed too low:
94. ARC-170 Fighter (one of the best Prequel vehicles, top 70 definitely)
93. Admiral Ackbar (I'd have had him in the top 60 at least)
92. Wedge Antilles (another that Insider mentioned as wrongfully-ranked)
81. Sith lightsaber (the double-bladed one? c'mon... )
60. C-3PO (I know with so many others he'd end up somewhere, but this far?)
56. X-Wing Fighter (key Rebel ship deserves better)
53. AT-AT (key Imperial device desrves better)
49. Kit Fisto (his CCG card says his grin gives him +10 list points :D )
42. Millennium Falcon (what?! .5 past lightspeed can't slow her down)
27. Han Solo (gotta make him top 20 at the very least)

Weird listings:
95. Banking Clan Frigate and 83. Republic Cruiser (look cool, but why here?)
87. Astromech Droid (R2-D2 or R4-P17 not enough?)
74. Commander Bly, 73. Commander Bacara, 58. Commander Neyo, 51. Commander Cody (couldn't combine these together? or just have Cody separate?)
69. Wookiee (Chewie couldn't contain this species himself?)
61. Darth Vader's Suit (it's him; take him away from it, he don't live no more)
44. Twi'Lek (no problem with the choice, but why put a pic of corpulent Senator Orn Free Taa? :eek: )

Well, that's my $7.99 USD anyway...

Bel-Cam Jos
11-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Newsbot compels me to find a retailer and buy the SWI: Interview Special. I've been bitten by the interview and behind-the-scenes bug with the Making of... films books and want some more.

OC47150
12-09-2010, 09:52 PM
A couple of months ago, I was sorting through old Insiders (5+ years old) and thought how much better the mag was then. I miss the short stories and similar features.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Newsbot compels me to find a retailer and buy the SWI: Interview Special. I've been bitten by the interview and behind-the-scenes bug with the Making of... films books and want some more.So far, it's been just okay. Too busy to sit down and read it more closely; just an article here or there.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't know why, but I've always seemed to read SW magazines article by article out of order, and just remember which one(s) I have yet to read. And which were the last two articles I read in this Interview Special? Penultimate: Ahmed Best. Final: Rick McCallum. Was that on purpose? Am I a hater still? :p

OC47150
01-06-2011, 10:25 PM
I got my renewal notice in the mail recently. $40 for eight issues!! $40!!! Money's a little tight and I'm gonna have to wait and see about renewing.

TheDarthVader
01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
$40?! Are they printing these magazines on aluminum or something?