PDA

View Full Version : Does every G.Heroes figure HAVE to be smiling???

JediTricks
04-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Look, I've loved these little things since almost day 1 of their Playskool SW release, but there are some figures I think shouldn't be smiling like idiots. For example, today I picked up 2 new sets:

Jedi Luke & Removable Helmet Vader
Leia Boushh, Han Carbonite, & Carbonite Block

Of those sets, all the items are smiling - ALL OF THEM!!! INCLUDING THE CARBONITE HAN AND VADER! Why the hell is the frozen Han figure smirking? In the movie, he's in agony, but here I guess he's tickled pink that he's been betrayed by his old pal and his loved ones are about to be tortured to death. And with Vader, well... I'm Darth Vader, I've just lost a lightsaber battle where I was told to kill my only son, betrayed my master, and am about to die as my suit is failing and I'm being exposed to the unclean air by having my helmet removed, so of course I'm thrilled about this whole experience. :)

Now, granted, I know these suckers are supposed to be for the really young kiddies so everything has to be happy and safe, but can't there be room for at least NO expression if you aren't willing to show unhappy emotions on these?

(BTW, the carbonite block is pretty nice, it's not hollow, it's not too shallow, it's got a very decent sculpt with controls on the side, and on the undetailed back there's a cut-out so that the Skiff Han in the set can stand partway in and pretend to be thawing out.)

Kidhuman
04-19-2007, 11:56 PM
I dont think Palps is smiling

El Chuxter
04-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Does every G.Heroes figure HAVE to be smiling???

In short, yes.

However, Mace isn't technically smiling, nor are Palpy, Dooku, or Maul.

Rocketboy
04-20-2007, 12:40 AM
Artoo isn't smiling either.

Jargo
04-20-2007, 11:18 AM
the spaceships don't have smiley faces on them. that's a blessing.

stillakid
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Imagine this conversation:

"Mommy. Why is this man sad?"

"Well pumpkin, a mean old ugly slug put that man in a coffin."

"I don't understand. If he's dead, why are his eyes open?"

"He's not dead honey. He's frozen in carbonite."

":ermm:. What's car...carnibite?"

"See, on a planet far away, they use it in mining facilities."

":(. Myning?"

"Yes, dear. It's a tibanna gas mine and they use carbonite to freeze it."

"But why is that man in it?"

"He didn't pay a debt to a gangster he owed."

":(. Debt?"

"Yes dear. When you don't pay a debt, you get in trouble."

"He's in trouble?"

"Yes, dear."

"Mommy, if I get in trouble, will you put me in carnibite? :cry:"

"No, honey. It's just a movie."

"Oh. Mommy, can he get out?"

"Yes, of course."

"I can't get him out."

"No dear, it's just a toy."

"So he's stuck?"

"Yes."

"But you said he could come out?"

"Go play outside."

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 12:48 AM
You guys know what I mean, not every figure HAS to be smiling. I don't mean that every figure IS smiling.

"Mommy. Why is this man sad?"Like I said, an emotionless straight line mouth would be better than smiles.

"Well pumpkin, a mean old ugly slug put that man in a coffin."I can't tell you how many things are wrong with that sentence. :p

"I don't understand. If he's dead, why are his eyes open?"See, that's where you're wrong, the G.Heroes figs have painted eyes, not sculpted, so the carbonite block version of Han has no eyes at all, just rounded dents in his face where the eyes are painted on a non-frozen Han.

skywalters
04-21-2007, 02:26 AM
This whole smiling thing started way back when they first came out with Chewbacca. I remember thinking, "Chewbacca doesn't say CHEEEEEESE!"

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah, you know what, I think that was the first one for me as well, when we first saw open-mouth G.Heroes Chewie all happy as can be, that was pretty odd, moreso than even smiling Leia and Bespin Han from that same wave. Before that, we had more appropriate faces from Playskool line on:
Ep 1 Obi-Wan was fairly neutral, Maul was a "grr" face, even little Anakin wasn't smiling.

Ep 2 Anakin wasn't really a "happy" smile, Mace was grimmacing slightly as he always does, and the Geonosian was downright frowning.

ANH Luke pilot was kinda smiling but he wasn't like ridiculous about it.

ANH Falcon Chewie & Han were a little smiling but more smirking.

ESB Hoth Han & Luke are downright miffed.

ROTJ set Luke's concentrating, Wicket's all smiling but that's ok 'cause he's a teddy bear.

stillakid
04-22-2007, 12:55 AM
I like that they all smile. Assuming the target audience is well below where most of us are, it only makes sense to create "happy" toys that toddlers will be attracted to. While adults have a different kind of appreciation for "realism," particularly when it is in relationship to "fiction," little kids often prefer "happy" and fun even when the logical "message" might be different, as is the case with the Han in Carbonite.

With kids, happy sells which is why they all smile from ear to ear. I think that most of those little things are damn cute and just trying to placate jaded old men with "realism" would be innappropriate for that line of toddler toys.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 08:06 PM
That is such a pat answer. The Hoth heroes didn't smile, that was great, and those were developed by Playskool divison who is supposed to be the experts on that sort of thing at Hasbro. Not everything has to be smiles and rainbows to be good.