PDA

View Full Version : The V-Wing

Tycho
04-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I saw my friend's boxed V-wing. He offered to open it up so I could mess with it, but I declined, as I figured he didn't need a mess of plastic baggies and twist ties in his car trunk at the moment.

But the boxed ship was very light, and considering the usual amount of cardboard packaging Hasbro includes, my thoughts were that this ship sould also be really small. It is afterall, defined a lot by folding wings. Thus I envision a fuselage not much bigger in size than the old CruiseMissle Trooper (remember the horror?).

I still plan on buying 2 V-Wings when I get the opportunity, but I've prepared myself to be a little less impressed.

What does anyone who has this ship think? How about the rest of you?

decadentdave
04-22-2007, 04:12 PM
My problem is that these ships seem like glorified versions of the original Kenner Mini-Rigs. The Sith Infiltrator reminds me of the Shuttle mini-rig which looked like a one-man mini-Tyderium. The white Tie Fighter looks great with the new paint deco and redesigned hatch but the smaller scale panels are a turn-off. One ship that could really benefit being released in this assortment is the Twin Pod Cloud Car.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Tycho, have you actually seen the toy in person at all? I think this kind of speculation is downright dangerous if you haven't. We've seen comparison pics of the Sith Infiltrator toy and the V-wing, the V-wing is noticeably bigger, so how you can say it's as big as the Cruisemissile Trooper is beyond me when the V-wing has a cockpit big enough to fit a whole figure sitting upright.

decadentdave
04-22-2007, 10:30 PM
The thing about the V-wing is that its folding wings make it appear to be larger than it really is.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Look at the picture in this post, there's no way it's as small as Tycho's saying, not by a long shot:

Tycho
04-22-2007, 11:50 PM
The wings are adding to the size in that picture, and as someone who has most of his 3 3/4" in storage and basically his SideShow around at home, I get startled sometimes by how small the 3 3/4" figures often seem to me these days. So that they are smaller than the ship they fly is really not that impressive, considering...

But I declined to have my friend open his boxed V-wing at that moment, because I knew how messy it could get. Now on second thought... (heck, he offered. If it were me, I would have opened mine anyway - I was just being polite I thought.)

figrin bran
04-23-2007, 12:52 AM
The wings are adding to the size in that picture, and as someone who has most of his 3 3/4" in storage and basically his SideShow around at home, I get startled sometimes by how small the 3 3/4" figures often seem to me these days. So that they are smaller than the ship they fly is really not that impressive, considering...

hey, 3 3/4" is still 3 3/4"! you've answered your own question, more or less. because you've grown accustomed to Sideshow's scales and proportions, when you look at Hasbro's stuff, something seems "off" to you.

now if you wanted to say that Lego's V-Wing seems kind of small, you might have a point. though in that case, it was probably just to get it at a $10 pricepoint.

Tycho
04-30-2007, 05:20 PM
I just got the V-wing today and I am very, very impressed. The detail is phenomenal and the action features are great. Overall it is a true gem of a vehicle. Nice job Hasbro!

It IS small - but likely a very accurate scale (unless it's small :D )

But I got 2 and am seriously considering getting 2 more.

I'd love to display 2 hanging from the ceiling and maybe 2 in a hanger display.

Such a nice ship!

jedi master sal
04-30-2007, 05:54 PM
I just got the V-wing today and I am very, very impressed. The detail is phenomenal and the action features are great. Overall it is a true gem of a vehicle. Nice job Hasbro!

It IS small - but likely a very accurate scale (unless it's small :D )

But I got 2 and am seriously considering getting 2 more.

I'd love to display 2 hanging from the ceiling and maybe 2 in a hanger display.

Such a nice ship!

Cool, thanks for the quick review Tycho. I had already planned on buying 3 of these. Now I know for sure I'm going to get them, and maybe 2 more!

JEDIpartner
05-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Christ! I wish I could even find ONE of these bloody things!!!!! :frus:

jedi master sal
05-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Christ! I wish I could even find ONE of these bloody things!!!!! :frus:

I hear ya brother.

I just said I WANTED 3 then maybe 2 more. I don't have ANY yet....

JediTricks
05-01-2007, 02:58 PM
It IS small - but likely a very accurate scale (unless it's small :D )In comparison to what? The Sith Infiltrator? The Jedi Starfighter? The Naboo Fighter? The A-wing?

Tycho
05-01-2007, 05:24 PM
In comparison to what? The Sith Infiltrator? The Jedi Starfighter? The Naboo Fighter? The A-wing?

V-wing's about the same size as the A-wing, maybe narrower if you don't take the V-wing's solar pannels into account.

The N-1 is a larger ship width and length-wise, but its engines are out on wings in the front.

The Sith Infiltrator is just way undersized and sucks so bad next to actually ANY of these ships!

Used by itself, the Infiltrator is OK I guess. But that doesn't really work either. Maul is bigger than his ship, and what is the point of a vehicle that you don't want interacting with other vehicles? I mean they look off-scale to one another.

I'll say this about the Infiltrator - I'm still glad it was made - and as a person who wanted to just display the largest one I could get - hanging by itself - it does for me what it needs to. But there is such an incredible difference it isn't funny. JediTricks and Turbowars called that one right from miles away.

Eventually, the Sith Infiltrator will get a bad rep and become a shelf-warmer blocking V-wings from getting out there, I'd think.

jedi master sal
05-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Eventually, the Sith Infiltrator will get a bad rep and become a shelf-warmer blocking V-wings from getting out there, I'd think.

I agree completely and this is why when I see them (V-wing) I will buy them and not wait for clearance.

decadentdave
05-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Got both of these ships today. The Sith Infiltrator is a joke and an insult to collectors who have waited patiently since 1999. Hasblo should be ashamed of themselves for this atrocity. The V-Wing is bigger than this for God's sake! The wings alone should be the size of the panels on Vader's TIE and the fuselage would make this about as big as the Dagobah X-Wing. There's no loading ramp as seen in the film. The cockpit pod is smaller than the TIE. I could go on and on. Hasblo owes us BIG TIME. LITERALLY. I just don't understand how they can make some pretty decent stuff like the V-Wing and then completely blow it with the Sith Infiltrator. The genius at Hasblo that decided that should be forced to tender their resignation. This could have been an overpriced TRU exclusive at a $60 price point and I would have gladly bought it if it had been in the proper scale. I hope these things flood the shelves and go on clearance at Target in about 2 weeks. I hate the starfighter assortment. Nothing but repaints and improperly scaled ships i.e. TAC TIE, again, should have been another TRU overpriced exclusive and I would have gladly paid for the larger scale wings. It's just wrong when you display this on your shelf and Luke's landspeeder is almost the same size as Maul's infiltrator.

decadentdave
05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
On the boxes for the Infiltrator and V-Wing it says "Includes labels and instructions." I have the instructions and the toy catalog but no labels were in the boxes for either of these. Where are they? The V-Wing should have at least included one for the cockpit dash. So where are they?

Tycho
05-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Funny thing today was there were 3 V-wings (I bought 2) and NO Sith Infiltrators. If you looked at the quality issue, it should be the other way around. But I'm so happy with the V-wing I own 4 of them now. I hope I'm satiated. Now I have to find pilot figures, firespeeder pilots, and astromechs to catch up with all of this. :rolleyes:

Just when I thought I was going to cut back on Star Wars... (technically, that is still true - but I don't see more new vehicles being released in the next few months at the very least).

Anyway, the V-wing is so totally worth it. A truly great highlight of the year!

Devo
05-02-2007, 05:29 PM
The severe scaling down of the infiltrator makes it a complete irredeemable waste of plastic in my opinion. I would have bought it had it been somewhere nearer to scale, but no way was I touching a starfighter barely bigger than a landspeeder. I wouldn't spend my worst enemy's money on it.

JediTricks
05-02-2007, 08:51 PM
V-wing's about the same size as the A-wing, maybe narrower if you don't take the V-wing's solar pannels into account.Wow, that's killer, I was just telling a friend last night that I consider the A-wing to be the benchmark $20 ship - it's got a decent size, nice deco, fantastic sculpt, a few movable parts and reasonable gimmicks, and it actually can seat a figure without seeming ridiculous. I can't wait to find this thing.

Think I should change this thread's title? If so, what?

The Sith Infiltrator is just way undersized and sucks so bad next to actually ANY of these ships!Ouch!

Used by itself, the Infiltrator is OK I guess. But that doesn't really work either. Maul is bigger than his ship, and what is the point of a vehicle that you don't want interacting with other vehicles? I mean they look off-scale to one another.That's what I've been saying all along, it is the first vehicle that's presented so badly outside its price range, no other ship has gone that far (unless you count the Kenner Star Destroyer, which honestly I don't think is a ship at all).

But there is such an incredible difference it isn't funny. JediTricks and Turbowars called that one right from miles away.Woo!

Funny thing today was there were 3 V-wings (I bought 2) and NO Sith Infiltrators. If you looked at the quality issue, it should be the other way around. As I just posted in the LA thread, there are a couple assortment revisions to this wave that have no Sith Infiltrators, that might have been it.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-02-2007, 10:11 PM
I think one problem with the V-Wing is that it is not as recognizeable. When people started talking about it after ROTS, I wasn't sure what ship they were talking about. There was a V-Wing in the Rogue Squadron game, but it was much different. The recognizeable fighters from ROTS are the Jedi Starfighters and the ARC-170.

On the other hand, we got a pretty good look at the Infiltrator in TPM. Also, Darth Maul is a popular character, so anything associated with him has a built in marketing advantage. Just looking at the two boxes, the front of both mentioned spring open wings. However, the V-Wing has a picture of a Clone Pilot, while the Sith Infiltrator has a picture of Darth Maul. A kid looking at the two will probably choose Maul's ship.

JediTricks
05-02-2007, 11:25 PM
I fully blame the lazy "V-wing" name for that, if Lucas had called it the "Clone Republic Killer" or something different (obviously the one I chose is not so great) it would have stuck out better. It's like "General Grievous' Starfighter", I want that as a toy, but most folks don't even remember it as being such and the name only confuses since we never see Grievous USING that ship.

MSP is right though, Hasbro knows folks still want that Maul-oriented product and it'll hold on that level.

Tycho
05-03-2007, 12:39 AM
Wow, that's killer, I was just telling a friend last night that I consider the A-wing to be the benchmark $20 ship - it's got a decent size, nice deco, fantastic sculpt, a few movable parts and reasonable gimmicks, and it actually can seat a figure without seeming ridiculous. I can't wait to find this thing.

The A-wing is a decent ship. It has a working lever to adjust its landing gear and one to open its canopy. It's guns are positioned manually. Fair enough.

The V-wing fires 4 missles! You know I love that. Next, it spring-opens huge solar panel fins. It has manually opening front landing gear and cockpit, and more manually adjustable flight panels. And the paint scheme and battle scarring is just about 25% better.

Think I should change this thread's title? If so, what?

How about simply, "The V-wing" ? I would suggest this because I think this thread is about something called a V-wing. Just a guess though.

As I just posted in the LA thread, there are a couple assortment revisions to this wave that have no Sith Infiltrators, that might have been it.

Nothing gets by JT ;)

I think one problem with the V-Wing is that it is not as recognizeable.

Very true. It had very brief appearances in the movie - however it actually had equal time compared to Maul's Sith Infiltrator if you count the shots of Maul's ship landed.

There was a V-Wing in the Rogue Squadron game, but it was much different.

ILM and LucasArts were not coordinated on that one, OR they thought that casual fans wouldn't rival the knowledgeable ones who played Rogue Squadron's game back before the prequels started coming out.

Also, Darth Maul is a popular character, so anything associated with him has a built in marketing advantage.

He was the black guy with horns and red tattoos all over his face, right?

A kid looking at the two will probably choose Maul's ship.

Very agreeable hypothesis.

I agree with JediTricks' assessment of General Grievous' starfighter and it's name and lack of screen reference as such. So if I were Hasbro, I'd call it a SoroSuub P1138 or whatever its actually called, not name it for its use. That would solve that problem. It's still a good ship to market in the $20 price range.

decadentdave
05-03-2007, 12:55 AM
I would rather have General Grievous' Starfighter in this assortment or Padme's Skiff.

Tycho
05-03-2007, 01:04 AM
I was figuring what could be done (that hasn't been done) for the $20 price point:

AT-PT
Grievous' starfighter
Padme's skiff
(maybe) Padme's yacht
Homing Spider Droid
Tank Droid
Droid Gunship
Wookiee Catamaran
Coruscant Jedi Temple air speeder
new Podracers
Clone Swamp Speeder
Gungan Sub (totally undersized again)
Unprotected Battle Droid rack carrier
Maybe stuff I'm forgetting (but for the $20 price point)

Clone Wars Torrent V-19 Clone Trooper Starfighter
Ventress' ship
Dooku's solar sailor

decadentdave
05-03-2007, 01:11 AM
What about the Twin Pod Cloud Car? I'll be in my 40's by the time I see that get reissued.

The Wookie Catamaran, Tank Droid and Swamp Speeder are all good ones. I still want Grievous' Starfighter and it would have made the most sense to include it in the TAC assortment to go with the TAC Obi-Wan.

Tycho
05-03-2007, 01:55 AM
What about the Twin Pod Cloud Car? I'll be in my 40's by the time I see that get reissued.

Oh, most definitely. I wanted to buy 3 of those!

JediTricks
05-03-2007, 04:43 PM
The A-wing is a decent ship. It has a working lever to adjust its landing gear and one to open its canopy. It's guns are positioned manually. Fair enough.

The V-wing fires 4 missles! You know I love that. Next, it spring-opens huge solar panel fins. It has manually opening front landing gear and cockpit, and more manually adjustable flight panels. And the paint scheme and battle scarring is just about 25% better.Yeah, but the A-wing is a 20+ year old mold and a 9 year old paint job, so I think it gets a little leeway from that. :p

How about simply, "The V-wing" ? I would suggest this because I think this thread is about something called a V-wing. Just a guess though.Done.

I agree with JediTricks' assessment of General Grievous' starfighter and it's name and lack of screen reference as such. So if I were Hasbro, I'd call it a SoroSuub P1138 or whatever its actually called, not name it for its use. That would solve that problem. It's still a good ship to market in the $20 price range."Belbullab-22 starfighter" is a really lame name unfortunately, very unsexy to say and to read. They could say "Obi-Wan's Stolen Starfighter" or something, if they use Obi-Wan's name it'll go over, or if they pack in a Grievous that can actually fit in the cockpit that'll probably work (though it didn't with the Wheelbike, but that toy doesn't have appeal and the figure was awful).

I would rather have General Grievous' Starfighter in this assortment or Padme's Skiff.Padme's Star Skiff is too big for the $20 pricepoint, Anakin and Obi-Wan have a battle UNDER it, I think this is another where if it were to be done, it'd have to be $30 or more. I personally don't want the vehicle, it's kinda boring to me, but if it were done ok I'd probably buy it anyway.

I of course want a Grievous Starfighter though.

I was figuring what could be done (that hasn't been done) for the $20 price point:

AT-PT
Grievous' starfighter
Padme's skiff
(maybe) Padme's yacht
Homing Spider Droid
Tank Droid
Droid Gunship
Wookiee Catamaran
Coruscant Jedi Temple air speeder
new Podracers
Clone Swamp Speeder
Gungan Sub (totally undersized again)
Unprotected Battle Droid rack carrier
Maybe stuff I'm forgetting (but for the $20 price point)

Clone Wars Torrent V-19 Clone Trooper Starfighter
Ventress' ship
Dooku's solar sailorIMO, the only Padme ship that might work at $20 is the boring Royal Yacht she flew to Tatooine & Geonosis in AOTC, it's the smallest and simplest of the lot, nobody fights underneath it to throw it badly out of scale.

AT-PT would be cool, Hasbro would probably blow it but it could work at $20.

"Coruscant Jedi Temple air speeder" would be a $10 toy, not a $20, don't give Hasbro bad ideas.

"Clone Swamp Speeder" I would hope this would be more like $15, they could include an SA Clone to bump it up though.

"Gungan Sub (totally undersized again)" you aren't kidding, we're talking minirigs again.

" Droid Gunship" I'm not sure this would translate at such a low pricepoint, it's much bigger but it gets nearly no screen time. At the same time, I think it and all droid ships need to actually accommodate a figure within so they can be treated as droids OR vehicles (I prefer them as vehicles).

There's some good $20 ideas there too, I'm down for the Tank Droid, Grievous' Starfighter, AT-PT, and another idea would be the TX-130 Saber Hovertank from SW:Battlefront 1 and 2.

jedi master sal
05-03-2007, 04:59 PM
There's some good $20 ideas there too, I'm down for the Tank Droid, Grievous' Starfighter, AT-PT, and another idea would be the TX-130 Saber Hovertank from SW:Battlefront 1 and 2.

Oh hell's yeah! I've wanted a toy of the TX-130 tank since I first saw it. It's a GREAT design!

First there is this design:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/tx130tank/index.html

or the supposedly more powerful one in blue color markings:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/2mrepulsortank/index.html

I'd prefer the red marked one, but I'd take either one, since they are essentially the same.

JediTricks
05-03-2007, 05:55 PM
The blue 2-M version looks way less powerful, the change to the "wings" really hurts the look IMO.

LTBasker
05-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I agree with JediTricks' assessment of General Grievous' starfighter and it's name and lack of screen reference as such. So if I were Hasbro, I'd call it a SoroSuub P1138 or whatever its actually called, not name it for its use. That would solve that problem. It's still a good ship to market in the $20 price range.

"Belbullab-22 starfighter" is a really lame name unfortunately, very unsexy to say and to read. They could say "Obi-Wan's Stolen Starfighter" or something, if they use Obi-Wan's name it'll go over, or if they pack in a Grievous that can actually fit in the cockpit that'll probably work (though it didn't with the Wheelbike, but that toy doesn't have appeal and the figure was awful).

In Battlefront 2 it's called a "CIS Strike Bomber" so how about "General Grievous' Strike Bomber"? Use the same bomb feature as the ARC-170 since it should be big enough to house it and you've got a fun vehicle. They're doing EU related stuff so much they could have screencaps on the box of it doing a bombing run on a Republic cruiser.

Though, I wouldn't mind them just sticking with CIS or Seperatist Strike Bomber and using a Pilot Droid as a pack-in. :D

Tycho
05-03-2007, 06:29 PM
JediMasterSal, some EU thoughts you might appreciate:

I like your TX-130 Tank. Here are some similarities:

Something like 15 years before TPM, the Mandalorians broke into factions over whether they should be mercenary rescue squad types and privateer pirates, or take assasination and even genocidal assignments. The Death Watch emerged as one faction bent on killing all the traditional Mandalorians.

On Concord Dawn, the Death Watch invaded and killed the planetary protector (the sheriff if you will) - his last name was Fett. The family was murdered except for the youngest son who escaped and was rescued by the regular Mandalorian leader, Jaster Mureel. The boy was raised by Mureel and trained in the Mandalorian Arts. His name was Jango.

The Death Watch were using vehicles very similar to the TX-130 tank. Under Jaster, the Mandalorians used an attack on one to bottleneck the Death Watch's troops sort of like they did on the bridge in Saving Private Ryan. (see comic: Jango Fett - Open Season)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

5 years after Return of the Jedi, on the planet Myrkyr and elsewhere, Imperial Grand Admiral Thrawn dispatched search parties of special-ops stormtroopers into the Myrkyr jungle to locate one escaped prisoner: Luke Skywalker who was simultaneously being stalked by the Imperial assassin Mara Jade. The Imperial commander of ground forces, General Covell, used Chariot Assault LAVs (Light Armored Vehicles) to help coordinate the search since they maneuvered on repulsorlifts and walkers would get their legs tangled in Myrkyr's jungle overgrowth.

Since the likelihood of getting EU vehicles (much less that many varieties of them is slim), I would buy a TX-130 tank for the JF:OS and HTTE EU diorama uses mentioned above. It IS a pretty cool vehicle.

JediTricks
05-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I picked up the V-wing the other day, it's pretty nice. There's a cool feature they don't even mention in the packaging or instructions, the wing pylons slide out to reveal non-firing missiles and give the ship a wider stance - you would think they'd mention this somewhere as it's an important feature to get the wings to spring back open after assembly. The paint is pretty accurate, I don't really care for the prequel-style CGI weathering, it's too extreme, but this does a good imitation of that. The build is nice, it is a little small in length and width but it seems fairly accurate and has good height, so I'd say it's a good size all around. The spring-wing gimmick is nifty, the sculpt seems accurate, and the cockpit accommodates a pilot fine. The positionable ailerons that cover the astromech head are a little bent on mine, and I don't understand the rear flaps since they're not more positionable but I don't mind them either.

For issues that could be better, the astromech droid head is loose on mine and spins too freely. The right wingset is pretty sensitive and will go off by itself occasionally. The trigger button for the missiles is way too easy to accidentally hit - it should have been in the triangle part rather than on top. The underside could use a little more detailing - paint or sculpt. The cockpit needs a sticker on the display. And I'm not the one who discovered this, but in the movie the wings rotate 90 degrees up for landing, the ship should do this. Don't take these as "failures" of this ship though, because it's a very cool ship, it's just that nothing is ever perfect.

I hope they do a repaint of this soon, I'd like to get another version with the colors going a totally different direction - I'm not sure what direction, but I'd much rather have repaints of this than endless repaints of the Jedi Starfighters.

In Battlefront 2 it's called a "CIS Strike Bomber" so how about "General Grievous' Strike Bomber"? Use the same bomb feature as the ARC-170 since it should be big enough to house it and you've got a fun vehicle. They're doing EU related stuff so much they could have screencaps on the box of it doing a bombing run on a Republic cruiser.

Though, I wouldn't mind them just sticking with CIS or Seperatist Strike Bomber and using a Pilot Droid as a pack-in. :DHere's the problem I have, the ship is clearly NOT a bomber, several new ships in BF2 have the wrong role - the ARC-170 is fairly inaccurate, the V-wing is grossly miscast as a heavy bomber with shotgun blasters.

LTBasker
05-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Even though it's inaccurate, it is a way to make the ship interesting. Or, they could still use the fold-down pistol grip but give it a good amount of missile launchers. Maybe call it Grievous' Jedi Hunting Starfighter?

Jargo
05-06-2007, 03:15 PM
just looked at set of pics of this thing. what's with the dalmatian dog paint aps on the thing? I now it's supposed to simulate weathering and carbon deposits from blaster fire but it's like the ship has liver spots or something. If hasbro re-issue this ship they have to fix that. or just leave it off. and make the yellow on the nose tip more subtle.

JediTricks
05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
It's trying to imitate the weathering here: http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/vwingstarfighter/img/eu_bg.jpg

Tycho
05-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Personally, I love the paint job on mine. Way to make a great effort, Hasbro!

Jargo
05-06-2007, 09:13 PM
it's still crappy though. a little more of a gentle stroke to the application like the version shown at toyfair would be fine but this is just splotches. not the same paint mask at all.

decadentdave
05-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Funny, I never even noticed the spots until someone brought it up and then it took me a second to notice it like one of those Esher illusions staring until it came into focus. Thanks for pointing that out. I would never have noticed it otherwise.

JEDIpartner
05-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Still no V-wings or Sith Infiltrators in Cleveland. :(

LTBasker
05-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Found a lone V-Wing today and holy crap, I'm amazed at it! It's a sweet little fighter, it's actually bigger than I thought it would be. It's actually about the same length as the AOTC Jedi Starfighter if you ignore the cockpit fin.

The cockpit is perfectly sized, no having to jam a pilot in nor do you have him rolling around, plus he's even able to see over the console dashboard. Love it. :D

It's very nice to have a small ship that actually has all the landing gear, even though the rear struts are attached to the things they look really good in both landed and flight mode.

The droid head seems a bit small but one detail I doubt they did on purpose that I like is that it's taller than a basic R2 head. I've never liked the fact these are supposed to be the conical-headed R4 droids with R2 heads but the elongated dome looks like they just took an R4 and made it's dome more aerodynamic.

Now I need a fleet...and a place to put them. Heck, I need a place to put just the one. >_<

Tycho
05-09-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm glad you're enjoying your purchase as much as I am LtBasker. It's one good ship. I know the feeling in "wanting a fleet of them."

There are only a few and far-between toy purchases I've made that stick out as being this good.

In 2007, the V-wing is in my top 3 that I can think of (SideShow Jabba / Throne, and Hasbro Quinlan / Villie 2-pack being the others) with Transformers Alternator Ravage being close to that range). Props to the Galactic Marine and Airborne Trooper though.

Awww Shucks! I just like toys! But the V-wing is totally awesome and I agree wholeheartedly with your review Basker.

LTBasker
05-09-2007, 12:33 AM
So no V-Wing vs. Gunship vs. Jango Slave 1 battles then? :p

A few other things I forgot to point out,

I like the way the cockpit stays up by itself though I'm worried it will eventually become loose and flop back down.

Decals were all pre-applied which always looks better. :D

The extending feature on the wings is pretty fun too, the blaster cannon nubs are a little disappointing (and three would be shooting into the hull :eek: ) but it gives it a little more intimidating look from the front.

figrin bran
05-09-2007, 01:36 AM
So no V-Wing vs. Gunship vs. Jango Slave 1 battles then? :p

A few other things I forgot to point out,

I like the way the cockpit stays up by itself though I'm worried it will eventually become loose and flop back down.

Decals were all pre-applied which always looks better. :D

The extending feature on the wings is pretty fun too, the blaster cannon nubs are a little disappointing (and three would be shooting into the hull :eek: ) but it gives it a little more intimidating look from the front.

i haven't done a V-Wing vs. Gunship battle but the V-wing would get smoked away :p

i think it looks much much better with the wings extended out and you're right, it's great to have a ship where the pilot doesn't roll around when you're barrel rolling it. :D

Tycho
05-09-2007, 03:11 AM
I think Basker was referring to my Battle of the Machines polls I did here when I was the polls editor. All of us would pick our favorite vehicles in one-on-one competitions and then narrow it down through run-offs. Jango's Slave-One almost finished, but was defeated by the AT-AT which ultimately smashed all its competition. I don't believe the Republic Gunship had been released at that time, nor had the Geonosian Fighter or Anakin's Clone Wars fighter. Finally none of E3's vehicles were out then either. Maybe the Republic Gunship's a match for the AT-AT (the criteria was toy quality, not what real-life vehicle would win in a fight). But it was fun doing that.

I think the V-wing would fare pretty well against the other ships for toy quality.

jedi master sal
05-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Okay, so how about an all new poll then?

I think it would be nice to revisit this.

JEDIpartner
05-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I still can't find one. :(

Phantom-like Menace
05-10-2007, 11:35 PM
I found one of these two days ago at TRU. It's pretty cool. I almost missed it because I looked down at the lower shelves and saw that crappy Infiltrator and almost didn't look for the V-wing under the assumption that someone would have already grabbed it.

I just wish Hasbro would give us a V-wing pilot. I have two spare clone pilots, so I threw one of those in, and if I decide to get a second V-wing, I'm covered.

LTBasker
05-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Took a picture of the way I've currently got my V-Wing setup on my desk with Bacara and a pilot.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/BacaraVwing.jpg

(Crappy quality is because I had to take it with my phone)

DarkArtist
05-12-2007, 01:03 PM
picked up one today at Target. Love this ship. right now it is sitting next to my Vader Sith Starfighter.

Val Da Car
05-14-2007, 05:47 PM
I am up to six....and I love them all !!!

Tycho
05-14-2007, 07:53 PM

It's a dangerous ship to like. You've got to ease up now Val Da Car. I too nearly wound up with a fleet of these the ship is so nice!

Val Da Car
05-14-2007, 09:05 PM
It's a dangerous ship to like. You've got to ease up now Val Da Car. I too nearly wound up with a fleet of these the ship is so nice!

I know, this is worse than my GUNSHIP fetish.....In fact I went back to Ep3 and rewatched the Palpatine scene and counted 3 V Wings running escort duties...

jedi master sal
05-14-2007, 10:44 PM

Nice. And here I sit with NONE.

Care to share the love man?

If you find any more, could you pick some or at least one up for me? I'm just looking to get 3, but I'd be happy with one at this point. (I'm not asking for the ones you currently own, I'm talking new ones you see on the shelf.)

-Sal

Joshkj
05-14-2007, 10:50 PM
I really love this ship... alot. Its great all around, the features are perfect, and the shooting missiles dont overpower the likeness at all. Its looks right on :)

plasticfetish
05-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Nice. And here I sit with NONE.Don't worry Sal, you're not the only one still looking.

figrin bran
05-15-2007, 01:36 AM

If you find any more, could you pick some or at least one up for me? I'm just looking to get 3, but I'd be happy with one at this point. (I'm not asking for the ones you currently own, I'm talking new ones you see on the shelf.)

-Sal

argh! i just passed one up the other day too.

jedi master sal
05-15-2007, 11:49 AM
argh! i just passed one up the other day too.

WHAT???

Oh for the love of....

PLEASE hook a brutha up! heh heh.

jedi master sal
05-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Don't worry Sal, you're not the only one still looking.

Hmmm, I could interpret that as, "Worry Sal, but know there are others who are just as worried as you, so join the club." heh heh....

I guess it's just that this is one of the ALL NEW ships to be had. And to boot it looks awesome from the pics I've seen on the net. They weren't featured ships, but they are a slick design. One can only hope this would help usher in the Cloud Car...You hear that Hasbro!!!!! Heck give the Cloud Car some non-obtrusive missles that launch from the firing ports and you've got an action feature...

Val Da Car
05-15-2007, 11:29 PM

-Sal

You got it.....

jedi master sal
05-16-2007, 01:37 AM
You got it.....

Thanks kindly. Any help is of course greatly appreciated.

JEDIpartner
05-16-2007, 09:15 AM
I finally got one!!!!! But Bruce had to send it to me from Massachusetts!!! :frus:

Tycho
05-16-2007, 02:57 PM
So you don't physically have it yet, JP? Post what you think when you do. You'll be all excited and smiles over this one!

Val Da Car
05-17-2007, 03:50 PM

-Sal

You have a PM!!!!

jedi master sal
05-17-2007, 06:40 PM
You have a PM!!!!

You da man!

Val Da Car
05-18-2007, 12:39 AM
You da man!

NOw you have a PM.

jedi master sal
05-18-2007, 11:31 AM
NOw you have a PM.

Replied and GREAT thanks!

Val Da Car
05-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Yikes Parcel post & Priority now cost the same...look out UPS

jamesbondo07
05-19-2007, 10:19 AM
The V-Wing is a very nice ship except one of the wings on the one I have will not pop open when I push on the thruster.

jedi master sal
05-19-2007, 10:40 AM
...except one of the wings on the one I have will not pop open when I push on the thruster.

Um ok...I could read that totally different but I'll be mature here....

Val Da Car
05-19-2007, 11:14 AM
The V-Wing is a very nice ship except one of the wings on the one I have will not pop open when I push on the thruster.

Make sure that both wing mounts are popped into the body of the ship or the spring action feature will not work.

Tycho
05-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Make sure that both wing mounts are popped into the body of the ship or the spring action feature will not work.

Right. You can extend the telescoping wing pylons after the solar panels are deployed.

LTBasker
05-19-2007, 12:53 PM
You can lock the wings in the lowered position even when the pylons are extended again as well, which I imagine could give a little diversity if you have a display with multiples landed.

I was thinking you could have the pylons extended but the wings locked in the lowered position and some combat engineers set around it like they're doing maintenance.

plasticfetish
05-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Found a V-wing yesterday, but haven't had a chance to open it yet. A local Target had a bunch of them (four) on the shelf, so... :thumbsup: