PDA

View Full Version : Ultaramas

mm74md
04-23-2007, 09:34 AM
I've seen these over at RS before and now they are getting more attention with their giveaway to try to sell more product.

They have always seem as a nice way to display my collection. Do any of you folks have these and if so what do you think of them?

jedi master sal
04-23-2007, 04:06 PM
I've seen these over at RS before and now they are getting more attention with their giveaway to try to sell more product.

They have always seem as a nice way to display my collection. Do any of you folks have these and if so what do you think of them?

I don't have them but have seen them in person. They are kinda "meh" to me. Okay to display. I hear you can't stack more than 4 high with these though.

There's other things I'd rather spend my money on.

pbarnard
04-23-2007, 05:35 PM
If you can use a drill and make a box, and if you want to get advanced, use a jig saw, you can make a pretty decent SW display case or shelf. Sounds patronizing, but it is relatively simple to build a box and put shelving into it.

There are plenty of sites with plans and I'd be happy to share some of my measurements and notes on what I've done right and wrong with my own.

JediTricks
04-23-2007, 10:56 PM
I have 2 Ultarama displays, stacked on top of each other, the second one I bought without the backer cards because I can print out my own if I want to (and I didn't). It's a decent display item, I like that the pegs are less likely to snap off in the feet since they come out of the floor (though some figures can still fall over and just pull their pegs out of the floor, but the pegs don't break and do help), and I like the techy look of the overall display. I have the thing set up so I have 4 semicircles stacked on top of each other, and I must admit that the columns do take up some vital display space. My biggest complaint is that the peg layout on the floor is a tad confusing and leaves a few small gaps, and the raised midsection eats a little of the way you can display figures around it. Still, I like 'em, I'd buy a 3rd set and make my display 6 levels high, but since I don't want to use a stepladder to get figures on and off it, I'm sticking with the 4 I have.

mm74md
04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the info

Tenric78
04-24-2007, 10:38 PM
I'd like to add that I have two on top of each other. It's a nifty way to display your figures if you don't want to go through the hassel of making your own or anything. One weird thing I noticed is their website hasn't been updated in YEARS. (last time I checked). I didn't think they were making them anymore!

JediTricks
04-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Heh heh, I uploaded this photo on Nov 11, 2000: http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/ultarama.JPG

That was obviously before I got my second set and put it on top of it, then on April 28, 2001, I took this:
http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/myultarama.JPG

And that's pretty much how I have it set up today. Each level has a few theme areas, though it doesn't look like much in the photo.

(boy, my old camera really sucked!)

Mad Slanted Powers
05-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I have the same number as you JT, but mine are arranged in two circular levels and I have the background scenes that came with them. My complaint is that with the setup like I have, it's kind of hard to put new figures on the lower levels. I don't have a free table to set this on, so it is on the floor, and I usually don't have good light on it when I am trying to put the figures on. So, I am often struggling to get the figure's peghole onto the peg.

If I ever find a spot to set this, I might consider your setup. The semi-circle would take up less space, all the figures would be facing one way, and the taller tower might look kind of cool.

JediTricks
05-15-2007, 10:32 PM
That circle idea would be great for a coffee table or something else where you can see both sides freely, and if I were doing that I'd use backgrounds (I'd make my own though) because I wouldn't like the back-to-back look at the middle - I'm a nut that way. :p

You have a good point about getting figures in and out of the lower levels. I've found that the closer the ceiling-wearing section is to eye level, the easier it is to get figures in and out, but it's a lot easier to have no ceiling.

CaptainSolo1138
05-17-2007, 06:51 AM
They've always seemed a bit "chintzy" to me. Maybe it's the optional generic backer, but they look really cheap.

JediTricks
05-18-2007, 09:41 PM
The second Ultarama I got was $8 cheaper because I ordered the one without the background images, $19.95 seems reasonable to me.

Tycho
05-22-2007, 04:22 AM
So are they still in business? One of the founders, Morton, was very kind to me and I wish him well.

CaptainSolo1138
05-22-2007, 06:26 AM
So are they still in business?I would assume, since RS has had a weekly contest as of late in which they give one (or in this week's case two) of the the displays away. Also, their "contest" seems like a huge commercial for them, which further leads me to believe that they're still being manufactured.

Tycho
05-22-2007, 07:54 AM
They might also be liquidating a lot of produced overstock and this way getting as much as they can for it.

On a whole Ultarama is a good product. I have some of their sets (4 of them I think) myself.

I wish they'd make plexiglass dust-cover accessories for them. When I reset up mine, I'm going to look into that. I don't know how it is for everyone, but in dry Southern California, loose collectors are plagued terribly by dust. I'm sure this affects carded collectors who hang their stuff on the walls, but so far as diorama builders are concerned, it takes some effort to make sure enemies are pointing weapons at each other and are optimally posed (kneeling Fleet Troopers, etc.) If they don't have to be cleaned because an easy-to-wipe-off cover is shielding them, it's all the better.

For Ultaramas, you'll need custom-made cylindrical dust covers - sometimes perhaps very tall ones for stacked sets. I intend to eventually do this, but it is another expense. On top of that, I'll need something like pedastals or nightstands to position the Ultaramas on. What do they go on? The floor? I will be buying tall display cases, but removing the shelves in some to construct point-perspective Coruscant buildings and so forth - not store Ultaramas in them.

In the end, Ultarama is a niche product that's not especially useful for the way I display my figures, except for some circumstances. I'm going to do the Gungan Sacred Place on an Ultarama, and TPM Royal Starship Landing Platform (noticeably absent the Royal Starship which I will use for on-board scenes instead).

One thing I suggested to the company was molding the bases in white, tan, rust (Geonosis), and brown, and green, with the support pillars made to look like everything from sandrock to trees to icycles. These might have been popular with the fans who wanted to do limited detail displays. I would have used them myself for some scenes. A great Wampa Cave could come from it, as well as Dagobah Swamp, and Geonosian Hanger (for Dooku's Solar Sailor).
Also the Jedi High Council is a natural.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-23-2007, 01:21 AM
One thing I suggested to the company was molding the bases in white, tan, rust (Geonosis), and brown, and green, with the support pillars made to look like everything from sandrock to trees to icycles. These might have been popular with the fans who wanted to do limited detail displays. I would have used them myself for some scenes. A great Wampa Cave could come from it, as well as Dagobah Swamp, and Geonosian Hanger (for Dooku's Solar Sailor).
Also the Jedi High Council is a natural.Their website has suggestions on how to customize them yourself. Not something I would be very adept at, but probably something that wouldn't be too difficult for some.