PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

TeeEye7
04-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Summer will be here before you know it.

Where's anyone going this year?

I'd like to head to Washington state and then on to British Columbia, but my crew has their collective eyes set on Santa Catalina island (again) :Pirate: .

Any suggestions from our SSGers to the North about where to go and what to see in BC would especially be appreciated! :yes:

UKWildcat
04-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm going where I always go, to The Outer Banks of North Carolina. It's a family tradition. This year we will be there during the 4th of July which should be pretty fun. Of course we always have a great time anyways. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
04-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm spending my vacation (starting today) moving into my new house.

El Chuxter
04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm going where I always go, to The Outer Banks of North Carolina. It's a family tradition. This year we will be there during the 4th of July which should be pretty fun. Of course we always have a great time anyways. :thumbsup:

Be sure to eat at Pigman's for those of us on the other side of the country.

UKWildcat
04-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Be sure to eat at Pigman's for those of us on the other side of the country.

You know, I have never been there. I love me some BBQ too. I take it, that it's good? Maybe I'll stop there on my way in.

El Chuxter
04-24-2007, 03:29 PM
It is definitely good. Any BBQ in North Carolina is awesome, but this one's among the best.

They have some funny t-shirts, too, if they still sell them.

DarthQuack
04-24-2007, 10:50 PM
A quiet little spot in the Adirondacks called Long Lake...been going there since I was born, such a great time.

stillakid
04-24-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm leaving the family behind to go work in Prague for almost three months. I'll have about two weeks of "vacation" with them in late July before going to Chicago to finish the film. Then I think school starts up again. No "summer" for me and the kids this year. :(

mtriv73
04-24-2007, 11:28 PM
You know, I have never been there. I love me some BBQ too. I take it, that it's good? Maybe I'll stop there on my way in.

We go down to Duck, NC every year and always see it, but never eat there. I'll have to try it next time too.

If you're ever in the Bristol, VA area, there's a barbeque place called The Ridgewood that has the best barbeque I've ever eaten (it's not NC style though.) I think I gained a pound just thinking about it.

No vacations for me this year. My wife is in Key West with an old college roommate right now, but it's a girls only trip.:sad: I did get to go to the 24 hours of Daytona race earlier this year and I get to go to Monterey, CA for a week in september (unfortunately for work.)

CaptainSolo1138
04-25-2007, 06:25 AM
Mrs. Solo and I are ditchin' the kids and going to Cedar Point the first week of June. Before we had the twins that was our annual vacation, but last year two little monkey wrenches came along and we opted not to go since neither of us wanted to be four hours from them. This year we can't get there soon enough.

Then we're going up to "the cabin" during the first week of August for three or four days, twins included.:)

And we're going to see Barenaked Ladies on June 15th.

2-1B
04-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Are you going to work on resculpting a new set of twins and putting them out on a new card while you are up at Cedar Point ? :lipsrsealed:

CaptainSolo1138
04-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Are you going to work on resculpting a new set of twins and putting them out on a new card while you are up at Cedar Point ? :lipsrsealed:
Absolutely not, because we know the next time we try to "sculpt" any kids we'll have four or five.:D

UKWildcat
04-26-2007, 01:05 PM
It is definitely good. Any BBQ in North Carolina is awesome, but this one's among the best.

If you're ever in the Bristol, VA area, there's a barbeque place called The Ridgewood that has the best barbeque I've ever eaten (it's not NC style though.)

Some of the best BBQ can be had right here, in my hometown of Williamsburg, VA. Pierce's Pitt BBQ (http://www.pierces.com/). It's some of the best you'll ever have. I know it has been featured nationwide on some of the cooking shows/specials and has made it on lists of some of the top BBQ places to visit. If you are ever in the area, it is the place to go. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
04-26-2007, 01:10 PM
While we're on the subject:

Hursey's in the Triangle area.

Bridges in Shelby.

NC BBQ cannot be beat.

TeeEye7
04-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Any good BBQ'd caribou in British Columbia? :confused:

TeeEye7
05-19-2007, 07:20 AM
That sound you here is me scratching Catalina off the list :smoker:

jjreason
05-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Well I lived in BC for 7 years, TEye, and I can highly recommend the following:go to Vancouver Island.

You'd take the ferry over from Washington's Olympic peninsula and start in Victoria (one of Canada's most beautiful cities - awesome social scene there as well), then make the drive up to Campbell River (or further if you have the time).

The Island is the absolute Jewel of Canada, if I can be so bold. The distance is only about 600km (400 miles or so), and there are tons of places to stop and stay, tons of beaches, some interesting shopping, and scenery that's second to none. Your temperature would fluctuate between 80-85 degrees, with NO uncomfortable humidity and very infrequent rain. Best summer weather I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy, and by a very wide margin.

Don't miss the murals in Chemainus and the beaches in Parksville (and for a truly Canadian moment, make a point of seeing the world's biggest hockey stick in Duncan - just don't let the hundreds of drunks staggering around spoil your fun. :D ).

TeeEye7
05-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks, JJR!

Vancouver is definitely on my list to go to one day. My wife's already been and she tends to be ho-hum about going places she's already been. Maybe I can convince her otherwise (your shopping comment may just do the trick :thumbsup: )

I've just located an old elementary school buddy who now lives in Omak, Washington. If we go there, it's just a "hop, skip, and a jump" to the border and into BC.

I've never made the trip north, and really want to. I have distant relatives in Toronto (no pun intended)....yep, ol' TI7 has some Canadian blood in his veins (on my mother's side). I've wanted to go there, too. But first, being a West Coaster, I'd like to see BC and environs. Banff is also on the list for things to see. Come to think of it, I've got quite an itenerary for Canadian travel! Just need time and $$$.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Sounds better than good!

jjreason
05-19-2007, 10:32 AM
It's a huge country with a billion things to see. Banff would be about 5-6hrs east from Vancouver (again in my estimation - I've never made that trip), and Vancouver is a 1.5 or 2 hour ferry ride from Vancouver Island, depending on which ferry route you're using.

Toronto, on the other hand, is 4hrs east of Detroit - it would likely have to be a 2nd trip.

(Sorry, I'm sure you're not ignorant about it - but I've got some good Yankee stories of people wanting to go to Montreal "for the day" from Michigan, or asking where to find the polar bears after driving south for 10hrs to cross the border, etc.)

mabudonicus
05-19-2007, 11:03 AM
You'd have to drive pretty damn quick to make Banff in 5 hours from Vancouver I think JJ- seemed closer to 10-12 hours (by bus with a couple stops it took around 15-16, and that was coming down the mountains into BC, I don't recall the way back as well)
:beard: Iso & Baws
Tee-eye 7 posted one of the funniest Lanny stories of all time a few years back

General_Grievous
05-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm going to Lake George for one week at the end of July with my family, like I did last year and the year before...so it'll be fun.

TeeEye7
05-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks again for all of the input.

I was just randomly putting out my wish list for travel. There's lots I would like to see and I know it would take several trips to do all that I would like to do. In my rambling, it may have seemed I was trying to visit all of these places at the same time, but I know better. I'd need a private jet (and Trump's finances) to do all that I mentioned on one vacation! Vancouver would certainly be the number one destination for me to start, though, since it's so "close".

I will make the trip sooner or later. Even if in retirement, traveling in my wing tips with black knee socks and plaid shorts, looking like the typical American tourist, I'll do it! I've always been curious because of my Canadian Connection. My grandmother's family (on my mom's side) came to California during the Gold Rush and stayed. As a kid, I always heard about the Toronto relatives which has made me want to explore the East (heck, I haven't seen the east coast of the US, either!).

One day, hopefully soon!

UKWildcat
06-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Well, it's finally that time again... heading out for vacation tomorrow for the week... I'll try and stop in from time to time but I'll probably be too wasted. :crazed:

TeeEye7
06-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Be safe!

My little clan still can't decide what to do. I'm off in about two weeks.

Mrs. TI7 wanted to go to Yosemite for about three days, but that's looking pricey (lodging, tours, etc.). I'm not sure what Plan B is yet, either. We might just dig a hole in the back yard, fill it with water, hop in and call it good!

Have a good time!

2-1B
06-30-2007, 01:22 AM
have fun Yuke ! knock a few back for us as well. :)

CaptainSolo1138
06-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Mrs. Solo and I got back from two days at Cedar Point on Wednesday. Today we're going to Slicker's mom's 4th of July party, July 20th I'm going to see the Tigers DOMINATE the Royals and the first week of August will be spent up north at the cabin. It shall be a busy rest of the summer, but I'm certainly not complaining!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2007, 09:48 AM
First off, I owe a BSLOS for what I am about to admit:

"You can stand under my umber-ella, ella, ella, eh eh eh."

There. I was born in the Buckeye State, birthplace of the most US presidents, home of the first stoplight, and the only state that's round on the sides and 'hi' in the middle (old OH joke). Anyway, I've lived in three states the most of my life: OH, CA, and NV. A couple years back, I finally visited Carson City and Sacramento, but I have never been to the capital of my birth state. :mad: :( I'd been to Tallahassee, Austin, Santa Fe, Phoenix, Montgomery, Little Rock, Baton Rouge, and Indianapolis before, and made it to D.C. at least twice. No Columbus yet. :sad:

Any anyway, this summer I am leaving the confines of the Golden State and going back east. A couple days in Columbus, OH; Youngstown, OH for a tad less than a week; a day in Pittsboigh, PA to catch a Pirates game; then ending up in the Detroit, MI area.

HanSololol
06-30-2007, 09:54 AM
"You can stand under my umber-ella, ella, ella, eh eh eh."

it's "hey hey hey"

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2007, 10:00 AM
it's "hey hey hey"Part of a BSLOS is the fact that there can be rampant errors. Online, I found a lyrics site that listed it as "eh," I figured pronounced as a hard 'A,' as in "day" or "bidet." It's bad no matter what. :o

mabudonicus
06-30-2007, 11:39 AM
When's JMG gonna kill this thread, seems like it's almost getting fun enough for that to happen
:beard: Iso & Baws

HanSololol
06-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Part of a BSLOS is the fact that there can be rampant errors. Online, I found a lyrics site that listed it as "eh," I figured pronounced as a hard 'A,' as in "day" or "bidet." It's bad no matter what. :o

whats a bidet?

CaptainSolo1138
06-30-2007, 09:16 PM
whats a bidet?It cleans your butthole after a deuce. Think of it as a reverse toilet.

bobafrett
06-30-2007, 09:53 PM
In the last two weeks, I put in for three days of vacation time. During those two weeks, I was granted the vacation days, but put on the schedule for 5 full work days both weeks. I mean what's the use of getting paid for vacation time off, when you are working your regular schedule anyway? It's unbelievable that a company as big as Wal-Mart could screw up that much. My next pay check will have 16 hours of vacation, 80 hours of regular hours, and 8 hours of holiday pay for the fourth of July. The check I got last Thursday had the other 8 hours of vacation time on it. If they keep screwing with me like that, I may go see an attorney.

TeeEye7
07-12-2007, 04:40 AM
Well, kiddies, looks like the mud hole won out. :ermm:

JON9000
07-17-2007, 12:06 PM
B's barbeque in Greenville, NC is regarded by the natives as superior to all other barbecue.

Ocracoke Island is considered the crown jewel of the outer banks. I can attest to this personally.

My summer vacation was in Montreal last week for Jazzfest.

UKWildcat
07-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Ocracoke Island is considered the crown jewel of the outer banks. I can attest to this personally.

I love Ocracoke Island, haven't been in ages though. First time I went, I was probably 10 or so, I saw a topless chick on the beach sunbathing (on her back mind you). Made my day, hell, made my week. :thumbsup:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-18-2007, 12:22 AM
I went to Washington D.C. last week, and even though it started to get hotter than balls, I wasn't a hapless victim, in a cruel terrorist attack. :thumbsup:

And Jon, how did you arrive in Montreal? I believe passports are now required for entering Canada by flight, (which wasn't the case up until last year).

JON9000
07-18-2007, 02:49 PM
I arrived via plane from Washington, DC. I have had a passport since 2000. Good times, but I didn't get to sample the poutine.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Just got back from an out-of-state vacation, followed by an in-state one.

Eleven days in Ohio (great day at The Ohio State University, even the Barnes & Noble shop was cool, awesome that I could get into the Horseshoe; wonderful museums in Toledo and Columbus; attended a wedding and saw many relatives; saw a real night sky of stars for first time in a long time), Michigan (a 60th wedding anniversary and a nice downtown arts fair), and Pennsylvania (saw the Pittsburgh Pirates WIN A BASEBALL GAME :eek: :Pirate: ), then three days here with out-of-town family (Sea World, Universal Studious, local areas). Time to relax.

bobafrett
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Next week I am set to go on vacation to Northern Wisconsin. I am taking my Fiance' to meet my dad and stepmom, as well as my brother and his family, and my youngest sister. Once again the fine fine Wal-Mart has screwed up again, and put my on the scedule to work Saturday, then paid for the next 6 days as vacation. I'm getting 7 paid days for the week. Two of those should be regular days off and either 5 vacation days, or 4 vacation days and one workday. I refuse to point it out to them. But basically after I get through that week, I will be out of paid time off until after March 2008.

Slicker
10-07-2007, 09:09 PM
I myself just got back from an extended vacation (4 months worth!!!) and I went to some interesting places to say the least. First I went to Guam for 4 days which was okay but nothing spectacular, then I made my way down to Australia where I first went to Sydney for 4 days then a few weeks later I made my way over to Brisbane for 5 more! After that I kinda just bummed around for a month until I decided to go back to Guam for 4 more days then I hit Kuala Lumpur for 4 days. After that I started heading back home.

All in all it was a great vacation. I think I may do it again this fall.;)

Rocketboy
10-07-2007, 10:15 PM
From Oct 17-24 I'll be in the greater Boston area.
:thumbsup:

2-1B
10-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Puttin up signs for Aqua Teen Hunger Force ? :confused:

Rocketboy
10-07-2007, 11:23 PM
I wish.
Maybe this time I'll actually meet Ben Affleck.
Back in April of last year I just missed meeting him in a small seafood shack in northern Massachusetts. He left not too long before we got there (maybe an hour or so). The waitress said the was scouting for locations for a movie - I'm guessing it was "Gone Baby Gone" - when he stopped for lunch.

TeeEye7
10-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Although it's a year away, I may accompany my son to a convention being held next year (October 2008) in Louisville, Kentucky. (He just returned from Reno from this year's convention....poor dad couldn't get away to go with him).

We've never been there, so for those of you in the know, what should be on our "must see" itinerary while we're there? I know about Churchill Downs, of course, and the Louisville Slugger Museum, but what else?

Your suggestions are most welcomed!

THANKS!

TI7

Exhaust Port
10-30-2007, 03:10 PM
TeeEye7 here's a website that might give you some other ideas.

http://www.factorytoursusa.com/StateList.asp?state=KY

Louisville is the headquarters for UPS and I always thought a tour of their facility at the airport would be an awesome thing to see the inside of. The building is just huge and during the day they have tons of big airplanes parked on the ramp. I didn't have any luck finding anything online about possible tours though.

Earlier this month the new wife and I spent 10 days in Hawaii for the honeymoon. We had 3 days on Oahu which we spent our only full day there touring all the sights of Pearl Harbor (awesome!). Then we headed over to Maui for the remainder. Maui is very relaxing and made for a great vacation. It was a long flight (11 hours total) for us but we were glad we did it. We'd love to go back and see a different island or 2 but not for a while, next time we'll find something closer.

TeeEye7
10-31-2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks, EP!

Cool website. Never new about UPS. In another life, I worked for American Airlines, so that does stike a favorable chord with me. That's worth looking into seeing if tours are available.

The Glassworks sounds really fascinating. That's definitely on the list. AND...(woo hoo!) Maker's Mark and Wild Turkey facilities! How could I forget I would be to Kentucky. After all, that stuff is Kentucky Koolaide!

Thanks very much for Ky the link.

My wife and did the Hawaii thing for our honeymoon too. One of these days we'd like to go back too. We're looking at the big Two Five :eek: next year, so I guess we should do something special. (I was a good boy and bought her high-end gift already......she's absolutely worth it! :thumbsup:)

Thanks again for the help! :D

JimJamBonds
11-03-2007, 07:03 PM
...then I hit Kuala Lumpur for 4 days.

I knew somebody that was in the Corps and I heard some interesting tales about K.L.

2-1B
11-04-2007, 03:12 AM
We also heard interesting tales about K.L. from a college professor.

TeeEye7
12-14-2007, 06:52 AM
My vacation starts today!

Don't have to go back to work until the second week in January!

Longevity/senority at the workplace ROCKS! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
12-18-2007, 02:13 AM
Things also SUCK!

Saturday, we had a roller skating Christmas party for our promising, but underprivileged kids' association, and guess who crashed and burned and is wearing a splint on his right wrist (as he very slowly types this)?

What a way to start vacation! :frus:

Exhaust Port
12-18-2007, 09:35 AM
That's what you get for getting into a scuffle with some kids. ;)

TeeEye7
12-18-2007, 01:26 PM
That's what you get for getting into a scuffle with some kids. ;)

Yep. Those eight year-old-girls are tough, EP! ;)

TeeEye7
04-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Just returned from a four-day vacation on California's Central Coast with Mrs. TI7. We were celebrating our anniversary by getting out of Dodge.

The weirdest thing happened when we were downtown while we were there. While we were walking around town, a strange overwhelming force guided us to a particular intersection. We felt a presence, a seemingly familiar presence when we came to this corner. We took a picture of the building where we felt the presence the strongest. What can it mean? What was the significance? :sur:

Anyone?

bobafrett
04-14-2008, 04:55 PM
We took a picture of the building where we felt the presence the strongest. What can it mean? What was the significance? :sur:

Anyone?

Um, that you should get a tattoo of Yoda on your ankle.

My next vacation starts Wednesday June 11th and runs to the following Wednesday. I'm going to need the time to prepare my self for marriage, then rest after the wedding.

TeeEye7
04-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Um, that you should get a tattoo of Yoda on your ankle.

Well.......no. I will never be one with The Ink. Especially at my age. All those wrinkles and creases....ugh! Any design would never work out the way it was intended. Although Yoda would be a leading candidate were I to do such a thing. But as noted, he'd probably end up looking like a green Jabba the Hutt, instead of Yoda.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Hilarious, I know exactly where you were because that's where I got my Boba Fett tattoo last year on a road trip! My friend got Walter from The Big Labowski. Maybe that's why you were 'guided' there! I'll be going back there again this summer :thumbsup:

Deoxyribonucleic
04-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Woops, forgot to add the picture of bumcake getting her walter tattoo...

bobafrett
04-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow, an SSG spirit I would say!

TeeEye7
04-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Hilarious, I know exactly where you were because that's where I got my Boba Fett tattoo last year on a road trip! My friend got Walter from The Big Labowski. Maybe that's why you were 'guided' there! I'll be going back there again this summer :thumbsup:

Nah.....actually the story's a fabrication. Can I help it if I was one of those kids who paid attention in class? As a matter of fact, I pay attention to details for a living!

What really lead us to Tiger Rose was the shrine set up there and the large line of people approaching it on their knees getting ready to light candles since Deoxy and Bumcake graced the place with their presences. The place is now legendary! All that genuflecting does attract attention on a city street!

OK, OK! Another little fabrication. The truth? Pismo Beach has been a family destination since I was a little kid. It's a small place and pretty easy to know where places are and what's going on in town. :D

DarthQuack
04-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Vacation is still a few months off for me, but hopefully going up to my fraternity at my alumni in the next month.....really looking forward to blending in with people 8-10 years younger than me :P

TeeEye7
06-08-2008, 03:18 PM
The plan is to head east this summer.

Actually, it's a vacation with a mission this time. We're heading to Norman, Oklahoma (just south of Oklahoma City) to check out the University of Oklahoma for our son. We are hopeful he will be attending there in the fall of 2009 after he finishes community college here locally.

We'll be sure to give Blue2th a big wave as we pass through Albuquerque :thumbsup:. (I've always loved that city's location! I considered going to school there, but the out of state tuition was too prohibitive).

We'll be heading out in July, the same time MabuCon 2008 is being held. Who knows? Maybe I'll take a left turn at Albuquerque and head up to St. Catharines, instead! :beard:

bobafrett
06-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm going to take a vacation from work. Wednesday I start about a week off. My brother and his family come to town on Thursday for my wedding, and I will be spending much of the time with him, and his wife and kids. The first half of my vacation will be spent with my fiance, the second half with my wife.

TeeEye7
06-08-2008, 10:46 PM
The first half of my vacation will be spent with my fiance, the second half with my wife.

Well said, Frett! :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
06-09-2008, 12:00 AM
My wife and I got back from Cedar Point today. I don't think I could ever get tired of that place. It was kind of a bittersweet affair this time, as we know we'll more than likely be more than a relatively short (~5 hours) car ride away by this time next year and won't necessarily be able to make the trip. In the eight years I've known my wife, the only year we haven't gone was the year the kids were born. We got engaged there (on the platform for Millenium Force) and took our honeymoon there, so its kind of "our" place.

This was the first time we've ever gone Saturday/Sunday and we totally expected all the "good" rides to have 2 hour+ waits, but our longest wait by far was just barely an hour. I'm not sure if its the economy or that schools aren't out in the area yet or what, but it was a pleasant surprise to be able to all but walk onto all the rides.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm staying locally for the most part this summer. Aside from a week in Reno to see the family, I plan on driving no farther than maybe the LA/beach area or maybe San Diego. Got some indoor stuff to do, if I get my mind to it.

UKWildcat
06-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Sadly, we won't be doing our annual family vacation to the beach this year. :cry:

I will be going for a few days in August with some friends though, for our fantasy football draft.

CaptainSolo1138
06-12-2008, 11:21 AM
You can visit here, Uke.

Still to come this summer:
the family cabin for a few days
mabucon '08
A Tigers game in early August

Exhaust Port
06-12-2008, 11:41 AM
We had an emergency wedding thrown at us so we're off to Boston this weekend for a few days. When we first found out about it 2 months ago it seemed to make sense to drive the 10 hours rather than fly and rent a car for the 3-4 days. Now with gas prices over $4 I don't know if we'll end up saving any money. Later this month we're going on our official vacation which will be spending a week with the wife's family in the Traverse City area of Michigan. I've never been so I'm really looking forward to it. Again, the drive cost will hit us pretty good in the pocket book. Darn.

CaptainSolo1138
06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Later this month we're going on our official vacation which will be spending a week with the wife's family in the Traverse City area of Michigan. I've never been so I'm really looking forward to it. Again, the drive cost will hit us pretty good in the pocket book. Darn.Plan on making a stop in Mt. Pleasant?:D

Seriously, EP, if you need any info or anything I'd be glad to help.

TeeEye7
06-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Well, for the second year in a row our vacation plans have gone sideways. Our son just became gainfully employed as of yesterday, so our plans to go and check our the University of Oklahoma with him have been put on hold temporarily. We were going to head out in about three weeks from now but he won't be able to make the trip now. I had visions of taking a detour to Santa Fe, New Mexico along the way but.....

So, again, time to implement Plan B. Except I don't know what that is yet.

DarthQuack
06-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Mine goes off 3 weeks from today....I can't wait, my favorite time of the year.

sith_killer_99
06-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I am currently on vacation, have been for the last 3 weeks. First week was spent in Colorado visiting my parents as well as other family and friends. These last 2 weeks, I have been in Ohio with my wife and daughter visiting her family.

My family and I fly back to TX on Monday for my last week of leave (vacation). However, that time is really going to be spent looking for somewhere to live, pulling our stuff out of storage and getting settled.

Anyway, it's good to be back home, there's just a lot of adjusting to do over the next few weeks.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2008, 11:04 AM
The northern CA wildfire smoke made its way to Reno/Tahoe, where I had spent the last fews days. Relaxation was fun, but very little outdoor stuff the last couple days.

TeeEye7
07-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Our original plans for vacation vaporized (a cross-country road trip), but all is not lost.

Our son has just begun a very cool job at a local TV station, so he will not be able to get away. So, it's turned into a "mom and dad only" vacation beginning tomorrow! :thumbsup:

It's off to the cool, relaxing Central Coast for us! We get to leave behind the hot 90's and 100's temps in the interior and vegetate in the wonderful 60's and 70's! :pleased:

UKWildcat
07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Where abouts are you going?

TeeEye7
07-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Where abouts are you going?

Pismo Beach will be base camp, but we'll strike out either north or south (or both) from there. Cambria, Morro Bay, San Simeon (Hearst's Castle), and San Luis Obispo have been discussed as day trips. We may have to go Tiger Rose Tattoo parlor in Pismo and light a candle at the shine established there since Deoxy got a tattoo there ;).

UKWildcat
07-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Sweet! Sounds like that will be a lot of fun.

TeeEye7
07-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Back home to the Land of 100+! :(

However.....the few days there was GREAT! Here's where we stayed. 1) the view from the balcony looking south, 2) west, and 3) north.

Surprisingly few people there during the week days we were there. Made things all that much better for Mrs. TI7 and me! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
07-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Plus a couple of more shots:

1) looking north towards Shell Beach, and 2) a nice, bright full moon last night.

I miss it already!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-18-2008, 06:05 PM
We get to leave behind the hot 90's and 100's temps in the interior and vegetate in the wonderful 60's and 70's! :pleased:Where'd you find the time machine to get back to the '60s and '70s? Obviously, those couldn't be Fahrenheit temps, as they no longer exist anymore. :pleased:

BTW, I loved San Simeon and the castle. The drive itself around the coast is great, too.

TeeEye7
07-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Where'd you find the time machine to get back to the '60s and '70s?

Time machine? I never left those groovy times, baby! :cool:

Don't step on by bell bottoms, man!

Blue2th
07-19-2008, 09:55 AM
We'll be sure to give Blue2th a big wave as we pass through Albuquerque :thumbsup:. (I've always loved that city's location! I considered going to school there, but the out of state tuition was too prohibitive).

Hey, I was going to wave back! Well I'll wave at ya anyways (where's the waving smilie?)

I like your plan-b vacation spot though :yes:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Well I'll wave at ya anyways (where's the waving smilie?)Whenever you can't find one, just make up your own similie... :504filenotfound:

TeeEye7
07-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I like your plan-b vacation spot though :yes:

We are never disappointed no matter what time of year we go there.

The place is so laid-back that even the hose-draggers* always keep their surfboards at the ready! ;)

*Hose-dragger: a term of endearment used by law enforcement for firemen!

Blue2th
07-19-2008, 04:06 PM
That's funny!

I worked at a paint and body shop in Carlsbad California briefly near the beach, A couple of the bodymen there worked in their shorts and would go surfing on lunch hour.

mabudonicus
11-09-2008, 12:12 PM
We went to Quebec and stayed on a private lake over the last weekend, I just dumped a bunch of pics up and figured since we haven't been on an actual vacation of any kind in years I'd share them. I know they're not earthshattering but they're nice for the most part
North of the cabin is hundreds of miles of pretty much nothing, it was quiet, clean and all-round fun. Our party of 4 were the only people who spoke english for a LOONG ways (except for our buddies who live in the place, but even their kids spoke NO english at 11 years old)

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r1/mabudon/Alexis/

Hope you like them
:beard: Iso&Baws

And please don't look if you don't want- people complaied about me wasting their time last I posted something featuring my family :D

TeeEye7
11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Beautiful country! What was the fish score?

For those who complained: [Those] little ones aren't worth the trouble. Come, let me get you something.........

mabudonicus
11-09-2008, 12:48 PM
haha yeah it's heartachingly beautiful up there to be sure

The fish whipped our butts- the first day we had major gear problems PLUS it was windy as all getout making the canoe go all over the friggin place, you'd paddle to one end of the lake and in 10 minutes be almost back where you started.. the second day was hampered by a lack of enthusiasm and a really full slate of stuff we HAD to check out locally. A very few nibbles were observed but nothing close to being able to say anyone actually hooked one, much less observed or landed one :(

They're DOOMED when we go back tho, as it was everyone thought everyone else was bringing gear so it turned out no-one did and we had to salvage some rods and stuff.
:beard: Iso&Baws

As for gettin me something- what they got on tap here ;) ??

TeeEye7
11-09-2008, 02:58 PM
As for gettin me something- what they got on tap here ;) ??

I'm told the blue milk is especially popular in these here parts.

Slicker
11-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I had a great vacation season!!

First I went to Hong Kong, then it was Guam, then next came Hawaii and what a better way to follow up Hawaii then going back to Hawaii 2 weeks later?!?!?! After that it was onto San Diego where I met a strange man that wore suspenders ;) followed by a short dog eating trip to South Korea then back to Guam. Now it's back to good ol' Japan. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
11-14-2008, 11:02 PM
I took tonight off to go to a friend's retirement dinner.

It's the first vacation day I've taken since mid-July! :tired:

Great Basque dinner!

Blue2th
11-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I had a great vacation season!!

First I went to Hong Kong, then it was Guam, then next came Hawaii and what a better way to follow up Hawaii then going back to Hawaii 2 weeks later?!?!?! After that it was onto San Diego where I met a strange man that wore suspenders ;) followed by a short dog eating trip to South Korea then back to Guam. Now it's back to good ol' Japan. :thumbsup:

It's not just an adventure...

HanSololol
04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
It cleans your butthole after a deuce. Think of it as a reverse toilet.

Serisouly what s a bidet

DarthQuack
04-13-2009, 06:24 PM
I wish I had a bidet in my apartment, how sweet would that be? Mabucon could be help in smAlbany.....

TeeEye7
05-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Okey doke.

Summer is fast approaching. What are your plans for vacation this year? :Ponder:

pbarnard
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Not taking any so I have 2-3 weeks to take in late november early december.

Slicker
05-29-2009, 01:19 PM
I think this summer for my "vacation" I'll go to Australia, maybe Singapore, maybe Hong Kong and I'll top it off by going to Thailand. :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Going to Charlotte on June 19-21 for Heroes Con.

Probably will go to the Outer Banks for a weekend with the gf in July/August.

TeeEye7
05-29-2009, 07:32 PM
...and I'll top it off by going to Thailand. :thumbsup:

Ah, Phuket! :cool:

bobafrett
05-30-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm doing the "Relay for Life" cancer walk in June, also going to a Presbyterian camp in August, otherwise I am working, building bikes, now is the season here in the midwest.

TeeEye7
05-31-2009, 11:02 PM
I have summer vacation slated in July with the family. As of yet, no plans. As usual, no one can agree on where yet.

In September, I have a solo vacation planned to go and meet with the author of my uncle's book at a reunion of the remaining WWII veterans of the 416th Bomb Group of the Ninth Air Force with whom my uncle served. I'm really looking forward to that because two vets knew my uncle well (one was a West Point cadet with my uncle). Actually, today is my uncle's birthday! Happy Birthday, Uncle Bill!

Many here already know what I'm talking about. For those who don't here's a little info:

http://cramsie.blogspot.com/2008/12/william-edward-cramsie.html

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Taking my mom and meeting up with my uncle (and possibly other cousins) at the Grand Canyon in July. I've been there before (in February '94, camped down in the canyon for two nights), but mom hasn't yet. Taking the train from Williams, AZ which I've wanted to try for some time.

InsaneJediGirl
06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
I requested three days off work after graduation but dont know if I will actually have the money to go somewhere. I'd like to go back down to Florida and see my Great Aunt and Uncle(like grandparents to me) but not sure if gas prices will agree with me.

I have to go somewhere though, even if its just a day hop to some God forsaken southern backwater event ;)

Qui-Long Gone
06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm heading to Orlando for a conference in 3 weeks then off to Michigan and Indiana with the wife and kids to see family....maybe a 6 Flags trip to Dallas in August....

TeeEye7
06-13-2009, 10:08 PM
This Monday I've got plans to go with my sister-in-law, niece, and nephew to Sequoia for the day. I'm hoping the kids will be impressed. I haven't been there in years and I'm really looking forward to going!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2009, 10:49 AM
This Monday I've got plans to go with my sister-in-law, niece, and nephew to Sequoia for the day. I'm hoping the kids will be impressed. I haven't been there in years and I'm really looking forward to going!That's on my list (LISTS... ) of places to get to before, well, you know.

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN U.S. NATIONAL PARKS/MONUMENTS YET TO SEE
10. Everglades
9. Mammoth Cave
8. Meteor Crater
7. Yellowstone
6. Crater Lake
5. Mt. Rushmore
4. Gettysburgh
3. Sequoia
2. Bryce or Arches or Zion
1. Yosemite

DarthQuack
06-14-2009, 12:45 PM
3 weeks til my vacation to Long Lake in the Adirondacks....:love:

TeeEye7
06-15-2009, 10:20 PM
That's on my list (LISTS... ) of places to get to before, well, you know.

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN U.S. NATIONAL PARKS/MONUMENTS YET TO SEE

3. Sequoia

Returned just a little while ago from our day trip. Wonderful day! Not crowded at all, cool (49 at the 7,000 ft level) where the famous sequoias grow, and the kids were well-behaved and had a good time.

Here's some photos to whet BCJ's appetite for travel:

1. Mama Bear (with two cubs, although not seen well in the picture).
2. The Deer Family
3. Moments before driving through a tree!

TeeEye7
06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
....and continuing, here's the the General Sherman Sequoia (two shots needed since it's so massive!). Also the Kaweah River in the foothills prior to making the climb into the park.

Next time we plan a tour of Crystal Cave in the park! :thumbsup:

bobafrett
06-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Beautiful pictures TeeEye!

TeeEye7
07-12-2009, 10:35 AM
It's my second day of vacation and I slept for nine hours last night! :thumbsup:

I normally get between four to six hours due to work demands. :p

TeeEye7
07-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Mrs. TI7 and I are off to the Central Coast for a few days. :thumbsup:

You kiddies behave and we'll see you when we come back! Aaahhh! Vacation! :love:

pbarnard
07-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Sure, make me paranoid. Are you really watching me?

Enjoy the time off.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Mrs. TI7 and I are off to the Central Coast for a few days. :thumbsup:

You kiddies behave and we'll see you when we come back! Aaahhh! Vacation! :love:I know about the West Coast (Pacific Ocean border states) and I know about the East Coast (Atlantic Ocean border states). So I assume you're taking about the Arctic Ocean Coast area in between? :rolleyes: Pack a coat.

TeeEye7
07-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Weesa back!

Unfortunately the Mrs.fell ill en route (less than an hour of travel) so we had to turn around and cancel. Hopefully, we won't get charged for our reservations. Things happened at such a late date that we may have to eat at least one day of our motel lodging.

:sad:

DarthQuack
07-15-2009, 09:34 AM
My vacation in the Adirondacks was splendid....had some great weather....even saw a hail storm for the first time ever! Pretty cool stuff, hiked a mountain, played some Guitar Hero with drunk cousins one night. All around it was great to be away from cell phones, computers and televisions for a week, nice and peaceful.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-15-2009, 04:53 PM
After working seven straight days of eight-hour shifts at the fuel center (most of it spent reading), I'm finally off. Tomorrow we're heading to California; first to Disneyland, then to San Francisco, where my sister is moving in with her boyfriend. I should be sad about leaving her but I'm more sad about this being the last opportunity to see the original Star Tours. :D

TeeEye7
07-15-2009, 07:28 PM
After working seven straight days of eight-hour shifts at the fuel center (most of it spent reading), I'm finally off. Tomorrow we're heading to California; first to Disneyland, then to San Francisco, where my sister is moving in with her boyfriend. I should be sad about leaving her but I'm more sad about this being the last opportunity to see the original Star Tours. :D

Hopefully you're flying over the San Joaquin Valley and not driving through it on the way to SFO. We're in a nasty heat wave right now (average temps lately are 103F-106F). At any rate, be sure to wave my way when you fly/drive over the Southern San Joaquin. A far prettier drive would be taking Hwy. 101 to the City by the Bay instead of I-5! :yes:

mtriv73
07-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Not really a vaction, but I get to go to Boston for a week for training next week.

TeeEye7
07-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Sam Adams lager training?

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2009, 11:43 AM
As soon as I get them sized for attaching, I'll include some photos from the Arizona trip (Grand Canyon, Kartchner Caverns, others). If I had posted here Saturday night, I could've said "but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night."

bobafrett
07-27-2009, 11:57 AM
My wife and I are going on a 4 day get a way, to Saugatuck, Michigan early August. I cannot wait!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2009, 12:03 PM
My wife and I are going on a 4 day get a way, to Saugatuck, Michigan early August. I cannot wait!While on vacation this week, I heard a C/W song about Saginaw [sp?] Michigan.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Here are some shots from my recent Arizona trip. While I did not stay in the famous SW number room, I noticed it down the hall from me. :D :1138: The rest are various shots of the Canyon (at sunset, around 5:30 am for sunrise :zzz: , and while it was raining off in the distance).

Qui-Long Gone
07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
^Great photos!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-28-2009, 10:08 AM
BTW, I also saw 42 of the 50 state plates (plus 2 or 3 from Mexico and 2 from Canada). Which 8 did I not view?

NH
ND
SD
SC
WV
MD
AK
RI

(yep, that means I did see a Hawai'i plate :thumbsup: )

Does anybody know why so many trucks have Oklahoma apportioned plates? :confused:

JetsAndHeels
07-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Awesome pics, BCJ. The 1138 room is instant win.

I am fixing to take a mini-vacation this upcoming weekend. I am going to Nags Head, and am going to enjoy a day or two at the beach. While there I plan on seeing the Wright Brothers Memorial. I have always wanted to see it.

Qui-Long Gone
07-28-2009, 04:01 PM
(yep, that means I did see a Hawai'i plate :thumbsup: )

Seriously?!

TeeEye7
07-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Seriously?!

It happens. Our neighbor's daughter moved to Honolulu a few years ago and then moved back. Her dad had her car shipped back here and it had a Hawaiian license plate. We all teased that she drove back here to California.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Here are some shots from my recent Arizona trip. While I did not stay in the famous SW number room, I noticed it down the hall from me. :D :1138: The rest are various shots of the Canyon (at sunset, around 5:30 am for sunrise :zzz: , and while it was raining off in the distance).

Beautiful photos there BCJ, they remind me of some Byrd Baylor books I have in my classroom.

I will be approaching the Canyon this coming Tuesday on my trip to Denver to see my brother. :squareeye

bobafrett
07-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Those are some nice pics BCJ! I'd like to get out and see that in person, hopefully one day, I will.

Blue2th
07-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I live close to the Grand Canyon, but have never been there. One of these days.

TeeEye7
08-30-2009, 02:09 PM
Who here has used any of the following on-line services of:

Hotels.com
Travelocity
Expedia
...or any other similar-type service

I'm interested in opinions, comments, suggestions about any and all experiences with the above. I'll be heading cross-country shortly and need to book rooms along the way.

Thank you for your support.

Slicker
08-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Who here has used any of the following on-line services of:

Hotels.com
Travelocity
Expedia
...or any other similar-type service

I'm interested in opinions, comments, suggestions about any and all experiences with the above. I'll be heading cross-country shortly and need to book rooms along the way.

Thank you for your support.I've used hotels.com for my overseas hotel bookings and, in my opinion, they are quite good. I've used them at least a half dozen times in as many countries and I've only had one problem and that was on the hotel itself and not the site.

As for Travelocity and Expeidia I've only used them as a guage for buying airplane tickets to get an average of what I should be paying.

My summer vacation was quite good. I went to 3 places that I haven't been yet. I went to Perth, Singapore, and the Philippines. I knew Perth would be amazing but I was pleasantly surprised by the last two in that they were both rather fun. We're supposed to be hitting Hong Kong for the fall cruise but I've been there once already...

TeeEye7
08-31-2009, 10:15 AM
I guess this is a site of homebodies.

Thank you, Slick. I've taken your advice and so far, so good. I also price checked with the competitors. Everyone has the same fare (for the most part). A week from today I'll be "standin' on a corner...." at the end of the first leg of my trip.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2009, 06:35 AM
I guess this is a site of homebodies.

A week from today I'll be "standin' on a corner...." at the end of the first leg of my trip.Is that along the Sunset strip in Hollywood? You're better than that, TI! :p

Rocketboy
09-01-2009, 07:56 AM
From August 16-22 I had my first real vacation (not just 3-4 days off) since November. I traveled, but it wasn't all rest and relaxation. I was helping some jerk (Cappy) move from Michigan to Colorado. Sunday consisted of help him pack up the van in 95 degree weather. Next was two days (Mon & Tues) in an uncomfortable moving van through 800+ miles in two of the most boring states I've ever seen (Iowa and Nebraska). Then, a grueling day (Wed) lugging stuff up to a third floor, nearly killing myself in the process due to a lack of oxygen. Finally, a day (Thurs) of getting up at 4 am to begin the approximately 12 hour journey home, via 2 planes and a car ride. So I got to relax on Friday and Saturday.
Looking back, as horrible as it seemed at times, it was actually pretty fun
Also, we got take a little break and to meet another SSGer on Monday evening, pbarnard, which was very cool.

And I'm really looking forward to the last two weeks in October when I'll take another two weeks, even though I'm not planning any trips.

TeeEye7
09-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Is that along the Sunset strip in Hollywood? You're better than that, TI! :p

I'll be in the actual city where the girl in the flatbed Ford lives. Only, thirty-five years later, she might be driving a Rascal!

And, wow, RB! Cappy's going to have a long commute to go see Wings games with you on the weekends! I had no idea he was becoming JJL's neighbor!
Any chance he'll become and Avalanche fan?

Rocketboy
09-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Any chance he'll become and Avalanche fan?Yesterday's text from him speaks for itself: "Rockin the wings shirt today. If looks could kill..."

TeeEye7
09-01-2009, 12:50 PM
The Charlton Heston of Wings fans! :thumbsup:

Darth Cruel
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I have used a few of the on-line travel-planning sites and my opinion is that they all suck. You really don't save THAT much unless you are going LONG-term...like a month or more...and the hoops you have to jump through for the short-term stuff is not worth it.

I checked out of a room two days early and that led to a totally unnecessary nightmare.

TeeEye7
09-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the input, DC.

I was surprised that the savings weren't greater, as well. Only about $8-$10 on the rate. I thought there would be a better savings than that. I think a lot of that has to do with destination. I'm just spending the night at places that aren't usually thought of for vacations....just a place to pull over for the night and sleep.

JimJamBonds
09-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm on vacation this week actually. So far I haven't done much of anything and its been wonderful. I may make a one day trip tomorrow and do a little hiking or biking. Beyond that I don't really have much "planned" other then sleeping in and running.

TeeEye7
09-06-2009, 10:31 PM
See ya, kiddies!

I'll be absent for about the next ten days. Tomorrow morning I'll be headed cross county to the reunion of WWII vets of the 416th Bomb Group:

http://wgs.cc/416/index.html

Should be a very interesting time. Behave while I'm gone!

I'll be sure to wave to Blue2th as I pass through Albuquerque!

TeeEye7
09-16-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm baaaaack!

My trip to Branson, MO to attend the reunion of the 416th Bomb Group veterans of WWII was very emotional and fulfilling for me. I was able to meet gentlemen who attended West Point with my uncle as well as those who served in the 671st squadron with him. What a tremendous group of people! Vets, wives, family and friends have been attending the reunions for about 60 years!

Most of my time was spent with the veterans, but we had time to take a river boat cruise on Table Rock Lake and to take in the Branson Veterans Memorial Museum which honors US veterans from WWI to present. In the museum (which is private), 408,000 names are inscribed on the walls of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. I've attached a photos of my uncle's biographer, Wayne Sayles, pointing out my uncle's name on the wall. The reunion was hosted by Wayne and his wonderful wife, Doris. Wayne's book about my uncle started my journey in finally meeting the 416th group:

http://ancientcoins.ac/416/671cramsie.html

The final night of the reunion was capped off with a prime rib banquet and the appearance of speaker Mark Johnson, a retired Lt. Col. and college professor. Here's a link to his impressive credentials:

http://www.markthespark.com/about.html

Even though I was a newbie to the 416th family (and it certainly is!), I was embraced immediately by all the attendees. Although my uncle was killed in action, his memory was well-remembered by all and I haven't the words to express the gratitude and humility I felt for their kindness.

I hope to attend the reunion next year as well as all future events. They are an exceptional group of people!

...and, yes, I waved to Blue2th each time while traveling through Albuquerque!

TeeEye7
12-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Yay! I'm on vacation for the holidays! Not going back until after the new year! :p :whip:

The only tragedies I have to deal with are the ones at home........

Bel-Cam Jos
12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Brief weekend to Costa Mesa (near the beach in Orange County) to meet up with my uncle. Then, back home to check on my... jury duty status for next week. :mad:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Here's a picture. Rename the song "My Pigeons on Broadway" as you look. :D Except for an early evening (but still dark) getting-lost session around the Newport Beach/Laguna Beach/Costa Mesa/Tustin/Santa Ana areas, followed by several dinner mishaps (at multiple locations :eek: ), it was nice and relaxing.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-16-2010, 07:03 PM
If you have a preconception about what Death Valley is really like, dispell such misconceptions; it's awesome! Well, in the summer, it'd be unihabitable, but late winter/early spring is great. The one place I most wanted to go (just after seeing a REAL night sky, with the REAL stars, not the fake, plastic ones near LA... in the skies, that is) was to the top of Dante's View, seen as the vista of Mos Eisley spaceport in ANH. Recent rainy weather shut down the entrance, but I later found out it was the SNOW at the top that was the bigger issue (but the dried mud across the roads was bad too), since it's over 5400 ft. up. See below for various shots around the Nat'l Park, including me at the Mesquite Flat Dunes (far, far away).

Bel-Cam Jos
02-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Here are a few more shots, less serious in tone, some might even say punny. The lowest level of humor, at the lowest level in the western hemisphere; how apt. And I have NO IDEA how that number magically appeared in the sand...

El Chuxter
02-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Went and saw some mud volcanoes on the eastern shore of the Salton Sea this weekend, and stopped by Cabazon to visit the dinosaurs from Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

I wanted to take pics of the ruins around the Sea, but a variety of factors prevented that. Most are off the main road, and there aren't as many as I thought. The legendary North Shore Yacht Club is being restored, and the motel next to it has been torn down. I saw some stuff in Bombay Beach and Niland, but there were people living around them, and it seemed weird to snap pictures of crumbling buildings along the main road when there are people carrying groceries down the street right in front of them. (Next time, I'll go during the week, so there should be fewer people around.)

DarthQuack
02-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I've got a busy 2010 lined up....so far anyways!

March 25-29.....Las Vegas for cousins bachelor party :thumbsup:
June 3-6.....Weirs Beach, NH to Funspot for their 12th Annual International Classic Arcade and Pinball tournament. (Myself, my brother and friends go for the fun not to compete. :P)
July 24-31....Family trip to Long Lake, NY

????.....Trip to the Mabudome.....

Bel-Cam Jos
02-17-2010, 09:54 PM
I remember when those dinosaurs were the ONLY vertical objects out there. But those bubblin' pics aren't crude but cool, Chux! My travels around the SS were underwhelming, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2010, 12:46 PM
But Disneyworld's parks were definitely whelming! Time for a list (LISTS... :drool: ) of my summer vacation...

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN NON-STAR WARS DISNEYWORLD EXPERIENCES
10. Test Track (herky-jerky ride, but still fun)
9. One Man One Dream show (they need to bring some of those Disney rides back! )
8. street performer at Italy section of EPCOT (really talented, and I got to participate... without being embarrassed ;) )
7. EPCOT fireworks show (that fire on the lake was still hot, dozens of yards away)
6. Indiana Jones stunt show (missed the first few minutes but was seen still great)
5. Lion King show (not like the Broadway production; like a parade that stayed in one place)
4. Tree of Life (carvings in it were amazing)
3. Animal Kingdom Safari ride (early enough in the morning to actually see animals)
2. Finding Nemo: the Musical show (despite it being cancelled about 5 minutes in the first time, still wonderful)
1. Expedition Everest ride (and I'm not really a rollercoaster guy, but this was great... backwards in the dark)

TeeEye7
07-17-2010, 10:00 AM
No money, no plans but at least I'm now on vacation! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2010, 11:20 AM
You're in California, TI! That's a 3-D motion ride where people with back problems and expectant mothers shouldn't ride.

DarthQuack
07-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Leaving Saturday for my annual trip to the Adirondacks :)

mabudonicus
07-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Not exactly a vacation and more of a desperate attempt to regain my sanity, but I am on the east coast in Nova Scotia and I can see the ocean from the kitchen

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Took a day to see the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach, CA. That's where they pose like the people in famous paintings. But what I didn't know, was that there's a live (dead ones aren't as fun :dead: ) orchestra playing, and there are some sculptures posed, too. Driving back through Orange County freeway traffic around 2-3pm on a Friday afternoon was, like totally fun too, and stuff. Whatever...

TeeEye7
09-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Road trip to the Ozarks in just a few days from now with my son. We're off to the reunion of WWII vets from the 416th Bomb Group again this year. It's sad to know we've lost some members since the last one. The vets are really cool people.

Then we're of to the University of Oklahoma where my son has designs to get his bachelor's in meteorology. We'll see how that goes. He had planned to stay in-state and go to San Jose State, but they (and all other Calif. state universities) are only accepting freshmen students and no transfers whatsoever. It's fun living in an imploding train wreck of a state.

Should be a fun trip!

bkusna
09-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Road trip to the Ozarks in just a few days from now with my son. We're off to the reunion of WWII vets from the 416th Bomb Group again this year. It's sad to know we've lost some members since the last one. The vets are really cool people.

Then we're of to the University of Oklahoma where my son has designs to get his bachelor's in meteorology. We'll see how that goes. He had planned to stay in-state and go to San Jose State, but they (and all other Calif. state universities) are only accepting freshmen students and no transfers whatsoever. It's fun living in an imploding train wreck of a state.

Should be a fun trip!

I graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 1996!!!! No better state to learn about the weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And a whole bunch of star wars figures available here:thumbsup:

TeeEye7
09-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Agreed! I've always considered OU the "Harvard of Weather". My son would ultimately like to work for NOAA or the National Weather Service.

Oklahoma is a great state. Period! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2010, 09:00 AM
It's fun living in an imploding train wreck of a state.

Should be a fun trip!I would think that would be horrid! ;)
Aside from the rain, I really enjoyed my days driving through the Ozarks several years back. Oh, if you encounter any rain, can you mail some back home to Cali?

JimJamBonds
09-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Oklahoma is a great state. Period! :thumbsup:

I always heard that Oklahoma is OK. :D

bkusna
09-04-2010, 09:30 AM
I always heard that Oklahoma is OK. :D

I can't believe we used to have that slogan on our license plate:o......wait maybe we still do, I'd better go check....:rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Think about what the license plate would be if they'd have called their state Pennsylvania Union?

bkusna
09-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Think about what the license plate would be if they'd have called their state Pennsylvania Union?

Oklahoma is PU?????? I mean we have cows and goats and stuff, but PU?:lipsrsealed:

Blue2th
09-04-2010, 11:11 AM
I used to live and go to school in Okmulgee, and also lived in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Like Arkansas, eastern Oklahoma is ok with me. ;) That's the western edge of the Ozarks I do believe so it ain't all flat. Sorta hilly, Fog on the Barrow Downs (Hobbit) country.

Camped in the Ozarks, Arkansas. Some of the purest cleanest water there. Some places remind me of Last of the Mohican's country. Though not as much as the Appalachians.

Hope you enjoy your trip TeeEye.

TeeEye7
09-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Hope you enjoy your trip TeeEye.

Thank you, sir! I'll wave and think of you as I pass through your city (like last year).

TeeEye7
09-16-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm back, Jack!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm back, Jack!Is that pic from I-10, Glen? Or the I-40, Morty?

TeeEye7
09-16-2010, 09:38 PM
I-40. It was the CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK then I-44 to MO to the reunion of the WWII vets trip again.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2010, 10:05 AM
BTW, Meteor Crater is one of those "bucket list" things I have to see and do, TI. I know I'll have to 'bookmark' that a place with such a 'magnetic' pull. :D

Thanks for the stuff!:)

TeeEye7
12-18-2010, 02:52 AM
Hooray! Vacation! :D

Off for the holidays! No work (per se) until I teach in our Academy at the beginning of the new year. I'll have to prep for that but it's away from the daily grind and pays more! :greedy:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Drivin' up to Reno (no shooting men to watch them die comments, please) this week, stayin' for about a week, and drivin' down a different route to git home. Can someone say, "recalculating..."? :rolleyes:

TeeEye7
07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Take care, sir!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2011, 11:55 AM
It would be totally awesome to have to go to exit 1B somewhere! :D I plan on stopping at the Bakersfield Best Buy to pick up some driving music (soundtrack to Super 8 comes out tomorrow) and probably ingest some food.

TeeEye7
07-12-2011, 03:03 AM
You couldn't have chosen a busier or uglier part of town BCJ......

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
I didn't see it as a negative part of town, TI; maybe that's because it wasn't at night. And the soundtrack's not out until next week... stupid confusing release dates online.

I enjoyed my drive up and down (except for US-395 south, below Bishop, where it was one lane each direction, often with no passing options) and took quite a few pictures out the windows (I even stopped at the Manzanar Nat'l Historical site), saw a couple AAA Reno Aces baseball games (and won free teeth whitening, even making it onto the big screen while holding a giant check... take that one off the bucket list! :D ), caught that Harry Potter independent flick, attended a combination birthday party (I supplied the Baskin Robbins ice cream cake, and tried to chop through it undefrosted), read a little in between activities, watched more daytime TV than I've seen in ages, ate very well. All in all, a nice time.

[edit] I checked my stats out... 1030 miles driven (almost all on two separate days), 30-some gallons of gas used, for a 34 MPG average.

TeeEye7
07-30-2011, 04:42 AM
Yay! On vacation for the next week! The last three weeks have been horrific at work. Glad to step away for a while.

DarthQuack
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Yay! On vacation for the next week! The last three weeks have been horrific at work. Glad to step away for a while.

Hear hear!

Same here my friend. Another family vacation in the Adirondacks....my 31st straight year I believe. :P Of course I don't remember the first couple since I was a wee lad.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Another family vacation in the Adirondacks....my 31st straight year I believe. :P Of course I don't remember the first couple since I was a wee lad.Interesting; this will (likely) be my 31st consecutive year without attending the LA County Fair.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Oh, it WAS my 31st-straight year, BTW.

Last weekend was a quick trip to Glendale, AZ to see the Pittsburgh Steelers play a home-away-from-home game vs. the Arizona Cardinals. Aside from seeing the Steelers win, :pleased: here are some other highlights:
- best street name seen? Sore Finger Road :thumbsup:
- saw a sign for services that had the 'Diesel' phrase on top of the man/woman symbols for restrooms; is there gender-based fuel now?
- saw a pickup truck pulled over to the side of the road... with three or four close-to-lifesize bronze dinosaur statues in the bed :eek:
- cheapest gas was $3.24/gal.
- while in Goodyear, AZ I saw a blimp overhead... the MetLife blimp :confused:
- still went to work on Monday morning after arriving from the 5-6 hour drive Sunday night :stupid: :p

JimJamBonds
11-01-2011, 02:55 AM
- best street name seen? Sore Finger Road :thumbsup:I once lived on Finger Road.

TeeEye7
12-19-2011, 01:32 PM
First day of vacation, although is didn't officially start until 10:30 this morning because of having to testify in court (that little piece of paper that compels you to show up has a judge with considerable resources attached to it y'know!).

This week will be preparing for the onslaught of family for the holidays in between getting my son ready to move to Oklahoma. Next week Mrs. TI7 and I will caravan with him and his worldly goods to get settled in his new home of Norman, OK and the University of Oklahoma. The plan is to finish his bachelor's degree and hop right into his master's after that. We'll be returning to an empty next, so we'll see how that works out....

...here's hoping the weather will cooperate!

JimJamBonds
12-24-2011, 07:11 PM
I have vacation tomorrow.

TeeEye7
12-27-2011, 01:01 AM
About eight hours to go before we start heading east to Oklahoma....trying gracefully to get my son's friends (and well-wishers) outta here so we can go to sleep!

I'll be sure to wave to Blue2th when passing through Albuquerque and to Jedi Nav when passing through Moore, OK, which is just up the road from Norman, our final destination!

TeeEye7
01-07-2012, 05:55 PM
There and back again.....2,822.9 miles later.

One new Sooner ready to start the spring semester.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-17-2012, 09:01 AM
I plan to drive up to Salinas next week, then to San Jose (yes, I know the way) for some Steinbeck O-rama. I wonder if I can get some seasonal work pickin' fruit along the way... hope gas is still $.15 a gallon.

DarthQuack
03-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Me and the lady would like to go to Florida in the next month for a few days of relaxation in the sun and sand.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Let me say, that the destinations I had in mind for my drive north were great: both CA missions (San Miguel & Soledad), the Nat'l Steinbeck Center, the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum, and the San Jose St. library's Steinbeck Room (and workshop); and the drive up and weather were fabulous. However, if I never go to the city of San Jose again, I would not be saddened. Salinas deserves a return trip to spend more time there.

So, with my Spring Break, I didn't really relax all that much (only got to sleep in 3 of the mornings :( ), but did quite a bit:
- read 6 books (possibly a 7th, if I can finish it today)
- drove over 800 miles on one trip, with locations above
- cleaned up some files and room piles
- got my taxes done
- got some car repairs and maintenance completed
- was able to watch much of the NCAA b-ball tourney
- finished all my grading early on :thumbsup:
- in process of renewing my teaching credential

Bel-Cam Jos
06-11-2012, 04:55 PM
I'll be out of the area, the Pacific time zone, the state, and even the country for vacation this summer. Will likely have pics once the return has commenced. Fun is on the itinerary. :D

TeeEye7
06-12-2012, 02:54 AM
Central time zone?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Nope; Alaskan. And Pacific ST for the int'l locale (Vancouver, eh). Not as cold there as I'd have expected (lows only in the low-40s, checking recent weather reports) even in summer, but I'll still have gear in case.

TeeEye7
06-13-2012, 02:52 AM
In days passed, my dad was supposed to be transferred to Anchorage for his job. Instead, we made a left turn at Albuquerque and ended up in New Orleans, of all places! I still hope to make it to Alaska one day. Safe trip, sir!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Hmm... what to post for my 10,000th SSG post? How about an Alaskan cruise! :D :thumbsup: :)

The natural and architectural sights were awesome and amazing. Everywhere we went, people constantly were saying "this weather isn't normal," as we frequently got little rain, winds, or clouds. Started on land in central Alaska (Fairbanks, Denali Nat'l Park), then down to the coast (Anchorage, Seward) to the cruise ship. Sailed down into Vancouver, where it was back on land. Saw massive amounts of wildlife (grizzly bears, caribou, reindeer, squirrels, moose, bald and golden eagles, herons), awe-inspiring formations (several glaciers, including LANDING ON one; Mt. McKinley NOT covered up by clouds; forests; flower gardens; river valleys; train trips up and along passages), great buildings. I was among the best times I've ever had on a vacation. More to follow about the ugh! and grr! and are-you-kidding-me?!? aspects.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Now, paperwork? By far, the worst trip ever! :mad: First: wrong names everywhere, wrong bed arrangements in all but one location, switched my gender once, sent one of my bags BACK on the cruise ship instead of moving it into the hotel room in Vancouver. :frus: Worst part? The terminal was less than a block away from the hotel; if I'd have known it was that close, I would've taken it myself. Nice trying to shove too much stuff into a small bag, with the big one enjoying a boat ride away from me... oh well. I'll be waiting for a big FedEx box tomorrow.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Last one; I won't hog the space here, but I don't want to put too many pics per post.

JimJamBonds
06-29-2012, 08:25 AM
Hmm... what to post for my 10,000th SSG post? How about an Alaskan cruise! :D :thumbsup: :)
Awesome pics BCJ! Now...I'd think for you your 10k post should've been in the 'reading' thread. :snowman:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I didn't get to read much on the trip (finished one book given to me by its author, three of the short stories in an 8-story arc). Must've been too much waking up early and taking bus rides to relax with a nice read.

I am STILL waiting on my missing bag. Earliest arrival? This coming Tuesday?!? :mad: :frus: :( :mad:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Is it bad that I have memorized my FedEx tracking number from entering it so many times in their search site? :( :tomorrow: :fingerscrossed:

TeeEye7
07-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Next to last day of "staycation".

Just returned from work to pick up the company car and see what kind of onslaught I was in for on Monday (not too bad, other than working the shift by myself...but what's new?).

It's been nice doing things around the house at a leisurely pace, or not at all! Did manage to take my son and friends to the range for some instruction, went to the Reagan Library, saw the newest Spider-dude flick, went out to lunch and dinner frequently with Mrs. TI7.

I still have ten weeks of vacation on the books....(we can accumulate up to 672 hours).

mtriv73
07-22-2012, 01:42 PM
We can carry over 240 hours and I'm already at over 270. Luckily we're planning on taking the young ones to Disney world in late August the week before the oldest starts kindergarten so I can burn some hours then. Coincidentally, there's a little Star Wars convention going on late that week and into the weekend that I thought I'd stick around for. It ended up being quite convenient.

TeeEye7
12-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Fourth day of vacation but really feels like the first day. We had family Christmas revelers since last Saturday but they left yesterday. Nice to have the family over but it's nicer (and quieter) having ten less people in the space.

I'll be on vacation until Jan. 7 but I'm rethinking that and may snivel to the boss to come back on the 14th instead. I have over 400 hours of vacation on the books and the thought of being off sounds pretty good. My post up above in July was the last time I've had time off. I think it's time to get some quality relaxation in!

TeeEye7
01-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Update: The boss accepted my sniveling. His main concern with my additional time off was to make it in and submit my time sheet for the next pay period. My boss rocks! Concerned about my salary, not the running of the units particularly since I have a boat load of vacation saved up!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2013, 10:06 PM
What did I get to do during my winter break from school? Saw three movies in the theater, visited one library/museum and a science center (both with famous aircraft displayed), read a couple books, shopped for gifts, took down Christmas decorations, visited with several friends and family members, attended a couple parties, ate at a few restaurants, cleaned up around the house, had various repairmen check out problems, watched FAR TOO MUCH television.

DarthQuack
01-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Heading down to Florida in a few weeks for a few days of rest and relaxation...toying with the idea of proposing to the would be Mrs. DQ as well.! :chuncky:

JimJamBonds
01-12-2013, 05:11 PM
A buddy has been pestering me the last few years about going to Arizona with him for spring training and I (think) this will finally be the year it happens.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Spring Break ends for me today :( but I still did enough to call it a "vacation." What did I do? Well...
- saw a movie in theaters (Oz)
- read some books
- slept in most of the time :eek: :)
- two day trips (to Redlands in the east, and LA area to the west)
- cleaned out some junk in the house
- did a little yard work
- enjoyed watching sports on TV (both NCAA basketball tourney first days for the first time ever)
- only spent parts of a couple days grading/lesson planning :thumbsup:
- went out for meals a few times

Nothing super special, but it was still relaxing and fun, and isn't that what vacation's supposed to be? :pleased:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-25-2013, 02:09 PM
I am pooped. Back home from a looooong road trip that was extremely awesome. Went to nine states over 18 days and 5000+ miles driven (in a rental car with unlimited mileage), including CA, AZ, NM, CO, WY, NE, SD, UT, and NV.

Saw the following:
- Lowell Observatory
- Petroglyph Natl Monument
- Meteor Crater
- Petrified Forest
- Old Town Albuquerque
- Isotopes Ballpark
- Georgia O'Keeffe museum
- Rio Grande Gorge Bridge
- Mile High Comics
- Garden of the Gods Park
- US Mint Gift Shop in Denver (yep, you read that right)
- Agate Fossil Beds Natl Monument
- Mt. Rushmore
- Crazy Horse Memorial
- Bear Country USA
- Mammoth Site
- Custer State park
- Wind cave Natl Park
- Devil's Tower Natl Monument
- Deadwood
- Corn Palace
- Wall Drug Store
- Minuteman Missile Site
- Badlands Natl Park
- Ft. Laramie Natl Hist. Site
- Temple Square in Salt Lake City
- Red Canyon
- Bryce Canyon Natl Park
- Zion Natl Park
- Hoover Dam
- Caesar's Palace (for an amazing rate, and upgraded to an even more amazing room)
- a couple universities (New Mexico, BYU)
- a few state capitols (Santa Fe, Denver, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City, Pierre)

And there are more places I didn't mention. It was among the best (and most exhausting) trips I've ever taken. Now I just have to download and organize over 2700 digital pics, plus deal with my car issues (not the rental) at home. I doubt there will be a summer vacation for a couple years.

TeeEye7
06-26-2013, 01:49 AM
- Caesar's Palace

I thought that was renamed 2-1B's Palace....

TeeEye7
07-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Mrs. TI7 and I spent the last two weeks on vacation primarily to visit with our son who is attending the University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK. An excellent tour guide, his itinerary included sampling a lot of the local cuisine in Norman as well as Oklahoma City. We didn't just eat, however. We also took in the Sam Noble Museum of Natural History on the OU campus ( http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/ ), and a personal tour of the National Weather Center ( http://nwc.ou.edu/ ). Our travels also took us through Moore, Ok en route to Oklahoma City where we saw devastated neighborhoods from the recent tornado earlier this summer. (We also saw damage around El Reno, OK along I-40 when we approached OKC).

We left Norman briefly to head north to Missouri to visit the 416th Bomb Group Archive in Gainsville, MO ( http://416th.com/ ) which will be formally dedicated this Fall to the WWII veterans (I'm on the Board of Directors). We were pleasantly surprised to find out that the home and museum of Laura Ingalls Wilder's ( http://www.lauraingallswilderhome.com/ ) in Mansfield, Mo was on our route to Gainsville, so we took a short detour to check it out. Very much worth the effort!

We returned to Norman and our son took us up to OKC to experience Bricktown and the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum ( http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/ ). The Museum was a must-see for me on this trip as I have been wanting to visit it for quite some time. It was a very powerful and emotional experience for me few will understand. The bombing was the catalyst for me taking the post-bomb blast training when the FBI came to our department to recruit crime scene investigators in the area to attend their class.

On the way home we stopped at the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest ( http://www.nps.gov/pefo/index.htm ) and enjoyed that in spite of the thunderstorms at the time. One of our stopping points on our trip is Winslow, AZ, so of course we had to go stand of the corner again ( http://standinonthecorner.com/ ) and to at our favorite Winslow eatery Bo Jo's Sport Bar and Grill.

3,746 miles later we are back home "enjoying" the triple digit weather we escaped while on vacation

[edit] I was remiss in forgetting to add that we also went to Pops east of OKC, an iconic Route 66 landmark
( http://route66.com/ )

Bel-Cam Jos
07-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Sounds very nice! My recall of Oklahoma is as follows: mainly sleeping in the car (as a lad) while my family drove west, and making a wrong turn (as a legal driver) in Ft. Smith, AR to end up across the state line. Might need to add to those "unforgettable" memories some day.

JimJamBonds
07-22-2013, 09:26 PM
I thought that was renamed 2-1B's Palace....
I was just there on Sunday!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-18-2014, 12:01 PM
This year, no big trip planned; just day- or short days-trips. So far: drove along Angeles Crest Highway, a day at Disneyland, family visiting here towards the end of summer, maybe a few days around Sequoia or Kings Canyons parks.

JimJamBonds
06-20-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm going on a road trip with a buddy out west to Montana. His sister lives in Helena so we'll stop by her and we are going to check out Glacier NP and/or Yellowstone. We might check out some stuff on the way out or way back home to Wisconsin.

TeeEye7
06-25-2014, 09:24 AM
*Sigh*
Starting the trek west back to reality this afternoon.

TeeEye7
07-21-2014, 02:27 AM
Yeah...back from vaykay only three weeks but ready for another since it's been so busy at work.

Look how sparse the posts are in this thread I guess all SSGers are hard at work and don't take vacations....

Bel-Cam Jos
07-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Yeah...back from vaykay only three weeks but ready for another since it's been so busy at work.

Look how sparse the posts are in this thread I guess all SSGers are hard at work and don't take vacations....Or, they've been on sojourns of months-long length!

I have two weeks left before school resumes, but my dad will come down here next week for a brief stay. :)