PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching Drive?

OC47150
04-25-2007, 07:57 AM
At first I had my doubts, thinking it would be a Cannonball Run/Gumball Rally (a pesonal fave of mine) rip-off.

But Drive is a nice action-packed drama. I was hooked after the first episode.

The characters are well-defined. Each person has a reason for being in the race.

UKWildcat
04-25-2007, 10:19 AM
I've got the first 4 episodes, or whatever has aired thus far, recorded on my DVR. I just haven't gotten around to watching them yet. I'll definitely check it out though, hopefully soon. Nathan Fillion is awesome.

OC47150
04-25-2007, 10:45 AM
You'll enjoy it once you sit down and watch it, UK.

I might have to go out and rent Firefly and Serenity because of Fillion. He's very good in Drive.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-25-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm watching it to support Fillion, but i'm really enjoying it. I have the last episode on my DVR and I plan to watch it tonight. :thumbsup:

edit: don't get to into it, it's been canned.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Exclusive-Fox-Cancels/800013604#comments

Cap'n Mal can't catch a break. :(

General_Grievous
04-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Holy crap! This has been a really unkind season for new shows. The only really successful ones this season were "Heroes" and "Ugly Betty". The ratings game is hell.

UKWildcat
04-25-2007, 10:03 PM
edit: don't get to into it, it's been canned.

You beat me to it JMG. Well so much for watching the episodes on my DVR, they are getting deleted; free up some much needed space.

2-1B
04-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Fillion rocks, I haven't seen this though.

OC47150
04-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Son of a @#$%&!!

Fox has already cancelled Drive!! :upset:

I noticed while I flipped to watch Idol that a special House was running on Monday night in drive's timeslot. Had to check it out this morning. Found an article on E! online.

Can't Fox give a show half a chance of succeeding?!? Every show can't have Idol numbers (which are down this season, BTW).

I guess Melanie (the new mom) will make her way back to Two and a Half Men.

OC47150
04-26-2007, 08:43 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070426/tv_nm/drive_dc;_ylt=Aj_5r0lKwq9Z4_V6jMv3hwlpMhkF

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070426/tv_nm/drive_dc;_ylt=Aj_5r0lKwq9Z4_V6jMv3hwlpMhkF

We know; i posted a link about the cancellation yesterday afternoon, it's the fourth post in the thread. :)

OC47150
04-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I missed the edit. My mistake. :D

BountyHunterScum
04-26-2007, 10:34 AM
I know why, they put alot of racial bs into the story instead of focusing on hauling ***. Like the iltiegitimate hispanic dude calling and threating his rich white father while making comments at his white half brother and the two black girls talking about katrina and all. I'm surprised they didn't accuse Charles Martin Smith's character of racial discrimination but then again they might have since I didn't watch the whole show. The single best thing about Drive was the oddly colored Black with Blue Stripes Dodge Challenger.

JediTricks
04-26-2007, 07:57 PM
First off, darn if the freeways and surrounding areas of the South don't look exactly like the outskirts of Los Angeles. :p I recognized some nearby mountains, and lots of plants that grow only in SoCal.

The show is/was ok, it had potential, but the concept was only a twist on a '70s disaster film where everybody gets a little backstory and screentime. The f/x were pretty bad, lots of the exterior shots were cars with blacked-out windows and then they'd digitally pass into the cars and we'd be seeing into other cars and stuff. The digital f/x in general were pretty threadbare really, that last ep where the 2 disqualified black women get attacked by that truck were dreadful.

I think Fox is stupid for canning this series though, I know they were expecting numbers like Lost, but they put it in a mismatched timeslot and expected miracles. I guess the problem is the concept required a budget for all the stunt work, f/x, and location shooting. But Fox is stupid because they don't have a "epic mystery" show the way ABC has with Lost, NBC has with Heroes, and CBS has with Jericho.

OC47150
04-27-2007, 07:39 AM
I did think, boy, Key West has mountains! :)

I'm tempted to fire off an email to Fox, just for the heck of it. Know it won't do too much but it would make me feel better.

BountyHunterScum
04-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Spike TV has Bullrun.

UKWildcat
04-28-2007, 10:03 PM
What's Bullrun? I see it is hosted by Bill Goldberg, I like him. and WTF, the Maloof brothers own a tv production company? It doesn't surprise me, I was just unaware.

BountyHunterScum
04-29-2007, 01:48 PM
What's Bullrun? I see it is hosted by Bill Goldberg, I like him. and WTF, the Maloof brothers own a tv production company? It doesn't surprise me, I was just unaware.

It's a road rally show, the real Bullrun is the same way but this is a reality tv show. It is like Gumball 3000 only its here in the US only. Bringing a Murcielago into an endurance race was a bad idea, they are out of the race btween the Mustang's elimination and M3's forfeit. The Scion Tc was the first to go then the Nissan 240SX with RB26 Skyline engine then the 65 Mustang then the M3 forfeited due to a family emergency saving those oakland idiots in the Honda but they eventually were eliminated anyway but the 57 Chevy was eliminated before they were. Now it's down to Charger, Trans-Am, F-150, Lotus and Hurst/Oldsmobile.

OC47150
07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Fox had Drive scheduled twice and pulled it twice. The last two unaired episodes are going online July 16.

I sent an email to Fox, just to sound off. Here's the reply.

The final 2 DRIVE episodes produced will not air on FOX afterall - but
we will make them available online to view for free - starting Monday
7/16/07.

go to fox.com, click on SHOWS and click on FOX ON DEMAND

Keep in mind that these 2 episodes do NOT complete the storyline - the
Exec Producers Tim Minear and Craig Silverstein did write a blog sort
of detailing what would most likely have happened if the show continued
beyond the 2 episodes we are airing online. Hope this helps:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/07/11/what-would-have-happened-if-drive-had-lived-on/

ASKFOX

The future storyline outlined on tvsquad.com is pretty interesting. Too bad the show didn't catch on.

JediTricks
07-13-2007, 10:10 PM
I don't get Fox on this, even if they didn't love the show, are they saying they couldn't sell enough airtime to broadcast it during their ratings-dead summer?!? So weird! My guess is someone at Fox has a real hate for this project.

Thanks for posting that link.

Wendy's past doesn't seem surprising in the least.

Ivy, Leigh, and Susan not being sponsored is just lazy.

Ivy doing all that for Wendy would have been too hard to believe.

Ellie's story would have been pretty lame, and I'm sick of the "slightly evil character being even worse!" thing.

I knew John's disease was being faked, that felt telegraphed to me based on what we knew of how Alex and Corinna were brought into their first races.

I suspected Alex's wife was in on it, I guess they weren't sure which way to go with that.

Honestly, reading what they had in mind, I probably would have dropped the series in 13 eps.