PDA

View Full Version : What the FREAK is up with W-M??????!!!!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2001, 03:24 PM
I just read SirSteve's news post on the W-M price increase for POTJ stuff. DON'T THEY ACTUALLY HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL TO BE ABLE TO RAISE THE PRICE!!! It's bad enough that they are not stocking their pegs, but then they add insult to injury by pulling this crap. That's about the only reason why I still try W-M, because they have the cheapest price.

There's definitely no reason for them to be doing this except to keep their profits up. I can see some dopey fata** executive in Arkansas whining about how SW sales are so low so why don't they raise the price.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL BEFORE YOU CAN MAKE MONEY IDIOTS!!!

Just a second, I'm hyperventilating...

...OK, please pass the valium. I need to drift off into oblivion now.

evenflow
08-22-2001, 04:07 PM
Exactly....

JediCole
08-22-2001, 05:32 PM
I had not checked out the news since earlier today, so this is the first I've heard of the Wal-Mart price increase. I guess I'll have to look at the home page here before I log off. Anyway, Sith Worm told me that his local Wal-Mart had all Star Wars (yes, POTJ) at $3.00 each! They had TONS of Tusken Raiders, but also Theed Amidalas, Coruscant Guards, and a handful of others.

The above illustrates the real problem with Wal-Mart and part of the frustration on the part of the author of this thread. NO CONSISTANCY! Your local Wal-Mart has nothing to raise the price on while the one in Sith Worm's neck of the woods (prior to this remarkable and seemingly unique price reduction) was always well stocked. I have at least two stores in my area, maybe three and they NEVER have a blessed thing! And one store (historically) will have sweeping markdowns while every single other store in the area (and that is about seven of them if you are up for a drive around) has nothing on sale. One store has tons while others never have anything and never show signs of having anything. I think the problem is not just Wal-Mart in general, but the lack of a consistant plan of action for EVERY SINGLE STORE and a set of rules that insure that all stores are stocked in the same way. I honestly believe that the toy department is the whipping boy of the whole store structure. The assignment no employee wants because it is almost impossible to maintain. And (I have voiced this before) to the average employee saddled with the toy department, a hot toy like Star Wars is no different than a cap gun (do they still make those?), a bike horn, or a Barbie doll. If they have some on the pegs that is good enough for them. So at one store you may have someone with the capacity to recognize trends and rotate thier Star Wars stock while at another you have some slovenly half-wit who has no concept of marketing, perhaps with a back room burgeoning with stock that is not put out because, "the shelves look full to me", or who does not order additional stock from their central distribution for exactly the same reason.
I understand your frustration, I experience it all the time. This doesn't help matters but may shed some light on what seems a really stupid situation. Because it is!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-22-2001, 06:13 PM
Whoa! And I thought I needed some Prozac! ;)

I think we all know who to give the "Unibomber Manifesto" award of the month to...

Seriously, I agree. It seems like all these retailers need to get their collective heads out.

El Chuxter
08-22-2001, 06:20 PM
Wal-Mart in Southern California isn't consistent even within a few mile radius. The Wal-Mart in San Bernardino had the 12" Maul w/ Speeder on clearance for $10! But it was bashed to pieces, so I checked the one in Redlands, barely five miles away. No Speeders in stock, but they had some of the Legos on clearance. I'd never bought any SW Legos, but I couldn't pass up a $10 Battledroid, $15 Pit Droid, and $8 C-3PO. I haven't figured out why the Pit Droid was by far the priciest, nor why the Stormtrooper (from all indications in the same assortment as C-3PO) was still $34.88! So I stop by the Wal-Mart in Hemet, about 25 miles east of Redlands. Both the Legos and the Sith Speeder are full price! I decided to stop back by the first one, get the lousy Speeder, and exchange it in Hemet, but it was gone. :( Luckily, if it ever gets marked down in Hemet, there are about fifty million of them!

This is especially weird, since Roanoke, VA (where I lived before moving to SoCal) had three Wal-Marts which loved to clearance Star Wars figures. I got such great buys as the Power FX X-Wing for $12 and a couple of Banthas at $8 each. But the thing is--if I saw something on sale for a price at one, it was the same at all three. Maybe it was the store managers communicating better, I dunno.

Neo Solo
08-22-2001, 09:49 PM
I think it's all a conspiracy. I was at W-M earlier this year. Lots of unopened boxes on a pallet. Do you think that I could get anyone to open some cases so I could BUY some figures. NOOOOO!

It's all a conspira-freekin'-cy!!!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-22-2001, 10:56 PM
I noticed and reported on what Wally Mart had done, a couple weeks ago.

(Apparently the link below won't work, but it was on the old forums dated 8/2/01)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=349

Up to that point, POTJ figures have been selling rather briskly in my area (with the exception of Porkins), especially when you compare it to the Episode 1 debacle. New figures seemed to be hitting the pegs every week or so. But since then, the figures are starting to gather dust and it's been more than a couple of weeks since I have seen new figures roll in, plus the space for Star Wars has been moved to an oddball location and shelf area has been reduced. Thanks a lot Mr. Walton! (Even though you are deceased).

Mandalorian Candidat
08-23-2001, 10:30 AM
That's just wacky. I thought it was only in my area where there were weird W-M problems, but I guess it makes sense that it would happed elsewhere.

A few years ago, the W-M in Paramount, CA used to regularly get figures that were no longer in production. As if it were the repository of all HTF I would frequently find FF C3 POTF stuff. One time I went and found two FF AT-ST drivers for $1.50 each. Another time they had a Zuckuss for $1.50. A third time there was a Leia in bondage for $1. When the CTC Greedos came out I found a GC Greedo at the same price as the CTC ones mixed in with them.

I thought this might happen with the other W-M in my area in Cerritos, but the only odd figure I ever saw was a OC Lando in mint shape for $5 in 1999.

Pretty freaking weird.

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Neo Solo
I think it's all a conspiracy. I was at W-M earlier this year. Lots of unopened boxes on a pallet. Do you think that I could get anyone to open some cases so I could BUY some figures. NOOOOO!I've had the same thing, so I've resorted to using my keys to open those suckers up. I'm always waiting for that fight when an employee gives me a hard time, I've got the whole "look, I'm buying enough for me and leaving the rest, just because nobody in your store wants to help me, that doesn't mean I should be deprived of my right to purchase products here" speech ready to go (and yes, it WILL go on a lot longer than that) before I send them to get the manager. I'm sick of employees treating me like I'm an undesirable just because I want to buy toys and they don't want to shelve them, it's discriminatory to tell folks who they deem "collectors" that they can't do what the other customers can simply based on our looks or our hobby.

Oh, and Wal-marts are confusing as heck, I can never figure out why their prices change from store to store.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-24-2001, 09:17 AM
Hot damn, JT! I'm going to use your speech next time I get that 'tude from a $5.50/hour W-M/Target/TRU employee. I'll add my own little tag line of "Don't talk to me, talk to the foot up your big A."

Obi-Don
08-24-2001, 10:15 AM
AMEN to all of you! Thats why I like these forums so much.I thought I was the only one.I'm so sick and tired of be treaded like I'm from a different planet because I like to buy toys and not just for my kids.Nothing,and I mean nothing ****es me off more then those so call "we're here to help you"jerks who seems to have the IQ of a tree stump giving me a hard time and all they have to do is thier JOB and stock and sell me the damn toys.Whew!I'm good for a week with that one.:D

Starfig873
08-24-2001, 11:25 AM
:D

Oy poor goof-ball Wal-Mart. I've even contemplated putting a nice little letter next to the figures telling them that "noone is going to buy these last Jek Porkins figures" and to just put out new figures. *sighs* Gotta wonder how these people think things through....

El Chuxter
08-24-2001, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I've had the same thing, so I've resorted to using my keys to open those suckers up.

So have I. I was sort of against it until my girlfriend got frustrated with my looking for an employee to open a box we saw on a pallet. It turns out that's the only time I found the Sandtrooper! It dawned on me then that it's not wrong to provide your own customer service when a chain that has a history of doing everything to impede customer service won't help. And they shouldn't be stocking while customers are in the store and not expect them to want to get to the stuff!

Whereas Target employees always assume I collect Hot Wheels for some reason, but that's a different story. :)

xboywonder
08-24-2001, 01:36 PM
I have to agree that wal-mart dosen't really have it together when it comes to Star Wars toy stocking. But...

There is this one Wal-mart in a small town called Gun Barrel, Texas, close to where I grew up, which actually had a Star Wars Toy collector working in the toy department... and he was Full time !!

Around about Ep 1 time when all the toys hit hard.... The TRUs and Walmarts in Dallas would have jack... But good old GB Walmart would be fully stocked,
a whole isle worth. and you could go in there and strike up a SW toy conversation and get all the low down with the Toy guy. Very Cool .

Anyways those were the good ol' days.... So I say to all other Walmarts.... burn them --- But to Walmart in Gun Barrel, TX ..... CHEERS !!

JediTricks
08-25-2001, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by xboywonder
There is this one Wal-mart in a small town called Gun Barrel, Texas, close to where I grew up, which actually had a Star Wars Toy collector working in the toy department... and he was Full time !!

Around about Ep 1 time when all the toys hit hard.... The TRUs and Walmarts in Dallas would have jack... But good old GB Walmart would be fully stocked, a whole isle worth. and you could go in there and strike up a SW toy conversation and get all the low down with the Toy guy. Very CoolIt used to be like that around here back in '96 or so, but then it got ridiculous, every employee who was a collector seemed to be taking advantage of their positions and no toys EVER seemed to get onto the floor when they were around. That was the big nightmare, they'd buy the good stuff all up, and those that didn't want it for themselves, would sell it off to the scalpers. I hate that some folks take advantage of their positions so badly.

As for the speech, take it cool, don't let them see you angry, just upset enough to make a stink. And when they treat you the way they do because "you're a collector", that's absolutely discrimination, though not as bad as racial discrimination, it's still wrong and we need to take back the rights that every other customer gets. Nobody says "sorry, we can't sell you any toilet paper because you might not use it right away", so why should we be treated with such indignity?

Mandalorian Candidat
08-27-2001, 03:42 PM
I hadn't been by my local WM for a while, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with their 'readjustments' to the toy section. Lo and behold, like all the other WMs that everybody has been griping about this one also had the SW section MIA. None of the employees were any help. I felt just like Mr. Burns when he got shot... "I looked for help, but all I could find were slack-jawed gawkers."

I finally found some figures (all they had were tons of Poncho-Gons and Bespin Leias) in the clearance section. Since the listed price was $3 each I got one each for my son and daughter. Before I went over to the cashier, I thought it would be smart to check the price on a scanner just in case. Guess what, they were both priced at $6.44. I guess they were put on a peg with just a price and someone left off the description like "Vintage Spam" or nosehair clippers.

Well that's pretty smart. I can see a Boss Hogg look-alike down there in Duke County, Arkansas with a big stogie saying, "Well, since these puppies aren't selling let's just put them in the clearance aisle. Oh, and uh, Roscoe, have Deputy Enos change them prices up to $6.44. We need a new spittoon over at the old Honky Tonk.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-10-2001, 10:55 AM
OK, now I definitely know that W-M is going psycho, or at least schizophrenic.

My wife went to one W-M on Friday and found the whole Duros wave there for $2 each. They also had tons of SW Legos for ultracheap. I went to the other W-M nearby the next day and all of their stuff was the jacked up $6.44 price.

It seems that all the ghetto W-Ms are quicker to put stuff on clearance than the nicer ones. In SoCal, the Paramount W-M always seemed to have stuff on clearance while in Cerritos I never found any like that. Up here in UT, the Orem store has the stuff on clearance, while the new one in Sprinville is full price.

What's up with that?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-10-2001, 12:23 PM
It seems that all the ghetto W-Ms are quicker to put stuff on clearance

ghetto wal-marts? Up here in Western New York, if you see cow flops and hay, then there is a pretty good chance that Wal-Mart is nearby (although we got a few WMs in surburbia as well), but a ghetto wal-mart? I never knew there was such a thing.

snakeplkn
09-10-2001, 02:40 PM
Bantha, you must not get out much. Wal-Marts have divided themselves several variants. For the most part, there's the ghetto urban Wal-Mart (seen by its drab brown exterior), the second-generation red, white, and blue Wal-Mart, and then the Super Wal-Mart, distinguished by its grocery section.

There's a ghetto Wal-Mart near my home. I go once in awhile, found a Sandtrooper there the other day. Seems to be left alone. The Super Wal-Mart down the road though gets hit often, after the original wave of POTJ, I haven't found anything new before it gets taken.

JediCole
09-10-2001, 03:13 PM
I recently checked out the Wal-Mart in Sith Worm's neck of the woods and found that the trend had reached that store as well. The "Star Wars section" consisted of three peg facings in a single row (that's a mere three pegs for those of you keeping score). Across the aisle, the wonderful world of wrasslin' was given about one fourth of the facing space, illustrating Wal Mart's commitment to its hillbilly clientelle. I discovered a mix of Duros wave and other prior waves. I made the trek to the opposite end of the (Super) Wal-Mart to discover that Duros, Sabe and Bespin Guard were at the new prices while Bespin Escape Leia and Aurra Sing were a mere $3.00. I picked up a few of the $3.00 figures but left the Duros behind. I also found two Wave 5 Simpsons figures (the wave released about three weeks ago) on the clearance aisle for a $2.00 each! They had a Selma figure from Wave 4 that I passed on for $4.00. I mention this because if furher illustrates that Wal-Mart has become a madhouse. A MADHOUSE! Two brand new figures that had just arrived were less that one from the previous wave and both wave's figures were less than standard retail!
Bubba Fatt and Sith Worm both had made mention to me in the past of having gone to Wal-Marts to buy figures and found some, even brand new waves, at mark down prices. This trend is not a new one, but they don't always have the prices marked as reduced. They certainly weren't marked as such on my trip. I discovered the low prices on Simpsons and Star Wars only afterI scanned them. I would have passed on Sideshow Mel and Bumblebee Man (which I already have) were it not for the $2.00 price. My recommendation is to fill a cart with one each of any Star Wars figures on hand at any given Wal-Mart then run the whole thing over to a scanner. Separate the bargains and (if desired) stock up! As others have noted, one could visit Wal-Marts all over the same area and find blowout prices at some and regular prices at others on the exact same items! Sure it's nuts, but why not take full advantage of this trend? Low on funds? There's always Lay-A-Way.

Eternal Padawan
09-10-2001, 04:29 PM
i've got that beat JediCole!!!! Aside from the Farmer QuiGons and Old Bens on clearance for $5, the Star Wars section at my WM has been regulated to one peg (THATS ONE PEG FOR THOSE OF YOU KEEPING SCORE...) with exactly three figures on it. And the one peg didn't even get its own space, it was square in the middle of the Pokemon Figures. I mean square in the middle, Pokemon above, below and on either side. poor Star Wars figures. To top it off, there was no price/ordering sticker on the end of the peg. Right next to the Pokemon figures was 15 ft of Power Rangers... Am I missing something??? POWER RANGERS?!?!?! 15 FEET?!?!? What is going on here? I was so upset I went and bought a RID Optimus Prime and played with him all afternoon...

(gads I hate Power Rangers...)

THE Slayer
09-17-2001, 12:50 AM
You know that stockboy disdain may also spring from the fact that they belive everyone looks down on them for making "5.50 an hour" ,which they don't, Who should do whatever we want when we say. But if you're nice about it you'll usually get what you want. Trust me.

Rollo Tomassi
09-17-2001, 08:24 AM
I have solved (read that as two syllables with an Inspector Closeau voice) the Wal-Mart/Star Wars mystery. In every Wal-Mart (at least every Wal-Mart i've been in) there is a Aisle section away from the rest of the toys but in a higher traffic area of the store. It is here that they put "hot" new toy line, hoping it will entice parents to buy some for their kids. Currently, a great portion of this is devoted to JP3 (again this is in the three Wal-Marts in my area). I asked a guy what was up with no Star Wars on the shelves (they were in their cases sitting at the foot of the shelving at the store I went in to and he was kind enough to tell me that they were getting a bunch of Exclusive ships and toys and things and pretty soon, the JP3 stuff would be coming down and STAR WARS!!! would be going up in it's stead. Furthermore, upon a little investigating of my own, I found one of those sheets they use when they redo the aisles. There was a 3 foot section devoted to JP stuff in the regular aisle that had not been filled in yet, but was clearly earmarked for plenty of dino action. The guy didn't tell me when this was all going to take place but that's where all your SW swag has gone...

Mandalorian Candidat
09-17-2001, 12:41 PM
I have yet to see anything new at the 2 W-Ms near me in the past little while. Additionally even within the same W-M there is two different pricing discrepancies going on.

A couple of weeks ago my wife found the entire Duros wave minus Ketwol. They were $6.44 each. After I told here I already had one of each, she took them back the next day without the receipt. The CS was going to give her only $2 back since they were now on clearance. She went back home, got the receipt, got the $4.44 difference/figure back and kept all three.

I go back later that week and find two Ketwols in the non-clearance aisle on an unlabeled peg. I checked them on the scanner and found that they weren't earmarked as clearance, but were the $6.44 price. I tried discussing this with a stocker but he just kept saying that the scanner was god and it had the final say.

Now I ask you, "What the FREAK is up with W-M?"

Lobito
09-21-2001, 09:35 PM
Imagine what will happen now with the 6 figures that will be realized in december??? Anyway, the price should stay as it is now, hasbro is making fans very unhappy...

DarkKobold
09-23-2001, 06:06 PM
You all want to hear a crazy story?
I was at my local Walmart this weekend - EVERYTHING was on CLEARANCE!!! For cheap too, $1 each figure (all they had left was one boss nass, 2 fans choice #1, a cor guard and a bespin guard, and 10+ sand troopers. The holograms were also a buck a piece... Plus, the 12" Bounty hunters were $10 each. I cleared almost everything out... So I checked out all the walmarts in the area - Cheapest price I found was $4.50 a figure.

They had no Sith Speeders... Infact, no one had sith speeders. WTF happened to all of them? And the 12" 2 pack of sith lords? All gone. Every Walmart I went to. Walmart has the most inconsistent pricing between stores I have ever seen. Can anyone fill us in on this mystery?