04-26-2007, 12:14 PM
favorite sports team-Gryffindor
favorite player-Harry Potter
least fav. team-Slytherin
least fav. player-Draco Malfoy

Kidhuman
04-26-2007, 12:21 PM
favorite sports team- Yankees
favorite player- A-Rod(not because of his recent hot streak either)
least fav. team- BoSox and Mets
least fav. player- Man Ram and Ortiz

timbok
04-26-2007, 01:22 PM
love the avatar kiddy

General_Grievous
04-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Favorite Team-New York Yankees
Favorite Player-Derek Jeter
Least Favorite Team-Boston Red Sox
Least Favorite Player-Is not a baseball player at all...Terrell Owens

DarthQuack
04-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Favorite Team: New York Yankees
Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez
Least Favorite Team: Boston Red Sox
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

UKWildcat
04-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Favorite Team[s]: Univ. of Kentucky (NCAA Basketball), Detroit Pistons (NBA), Tampa Bay Bucs (NFL), VA Tech (NCAA Football)
Favorite Player: Tayshaun Prince (UK grad, Pistons starter)
Least Favorite Team: Duke (Amen JAH)
Least Favorite Player [athlete]: Lennox Lewis

pbarnard
04-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Favorite Team: Creighton Univ (NCCA Basketball), Univ of Iowa (FB), any non-New Jersey team in the NFL :P
Favorite Player: Nikolas Lidstrom (NHL)
Least Favorite Team: Any MLB team but particularly the ones in Chicago and NYC
Least Favorite Player: Just about anyone in the NBA

Bel-Cam Jos
04-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Favorite Team: It's tough, so I'l take the lame-o way out (pro football: Pittsboigh Stillers, MLB: Pitt Pi:Pirate:ates, college: Youngstown State Penguins)
Favorite Player: currently (team play only, no "I" in "team" :p ), all-time (Roberto Clemente or Jim Plunkett)
Least Favorite Team: the football franchise in San Francisco (I refuse to call it by name)
Least Favorite Player: currently (probably Terrell Owens), all-time (Francisco Cabrera :upset: )

figrin bran
04-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Least Favorite Player : as many of you well know, $aint Reggie (Bush). Honorable mention to #24 of the Lakers

Least Favorite Team : U$C

Favorite Player:
basketball: Elton Brand
baseball: Chase Utley, Garrett Atkins (go bruins!)
football: Maurice Jones-Drew, Drew Bennett, Past: Troy Aikman

CaptainSolo1138
04-27-2007, 06:45 AM
Favorite sports team- Detroit Redwings or Detroit Tigers
Favorite player- Current: Nate Robertson Past: Tie Domi
Least fav. team- Colorado Avalanche, regardless if they are no longer a threat.
Least fav. player- Current: Ales Hemsky Past: Claude Lemieux

JetsAndHeels
04-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Least Favorite Player:all-time (Francisco Cabrera :upset: )

Ah yes....wasn't that a horrific moment in Pittsburgh Pirates history. Of course you could also blame your pitcher, Stan Belinda.

InsaneJediGirl
04-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Favorite sports team- Florida State Seminoles!

Favorite player-Leon Washington (NY Jets)

Least fav. team- University of Florida or University of Georgia

Least fav. player-Michael "Ron Mexico" Vick :)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Ah yes....wasn't that a horrific moment in Pittsburgh Pirates history. Of course you could also blame your pitcher, Stan Belinda.No, no, NO! This is where you insert the "blame Barry Bonds" comment! :rolleyes: BTW, Doug Drabek actually got credit for that loss (set a MLB record by losing all but 1 of the games in that 7-game series :eek: ). Seriously, whenever I see that lowlight (can't call it a highlight) on TV, I hope, just HOPE, that this time Spanky LaValliere's sweeping tag gets Sid's leg in time. :cry:

jjreason
04-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Favorite Team: Detroit Tigers (overall and baseball), Detroit Red Wings (hockey), Chicago Bears (NFL), Detroit Pistons (NBA), Michigan Wolverines (NCAA).

Favorite Player (current): Placido Polanco, Sidney Crosby, Devon Hester, Richard Hamilton

Historical Players: Wayne Gretzky, Steve Yzerman, Lou Whitaker, Mickey Tettleton, Barry Sanders.

Teams to Hate: The Evil Empire (NY Yankees), Toronto Maple Leafs, Philadelphia Eagles, LA Lakers, Ohio State.

Players to Hate: Terrell Owens (good God, has ANYONE NOT mentioned TO yet?), Jason Giambi.

figrin bran
04-28-2007, 09:04 PM
i'm starting to count University of Florida amongst my most hated teams as well...my bruins losing to them in unceremonious fashion to them in the NCAA Tournament 2 years in a row will do that.

timbok
05-06-2007, 09:13 AM
This site needs more jet fans...

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-06-2007, 12:13 PM
(Favorite Team): Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bills, Boston Red Sox
(Least Favorite Team): New England Patriots, Ottawa Senators, New York Yankees
(Favorite Player): Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, J.P. Losman, David Ortiz
(Least Favorite Player): Gay-Rod, Tom Brady, Chris Neil

Rocketboy
05-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Favorite sports team - Detroit Red Wings
Favorite player - Steve Yzerman, Wayne Gretzky
Least fav. team - Yankees
Least fav. player - Anyone on the Yankees

Favorite Team: Detroit Tigers (overall and baseball), Detroit Red Wings (hockey), Chicago Bears (NFL), Detroit Pistons (NBA), Michigan Wolverines (NCAA). Are you sure you're really a Canadian and not from Canada Jr. (Michigan)?

JetsAndHeels
05-06-2007, 09:24 PM
This site needs more jet fans...

You got me, you, Kidhuman...that's 3 so not too bad.

figrin bran
05-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I thought Kidhuman was a Giants fan?

JetsAndHeels
05-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I thought Kidhuman was a Giants fan?

He may be, but he hangs out on jetnation haha :)

jjreason
05-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Are you sure you're really a Canadian and not from Canada Jr. (Michigan)?

I've been to the mitten lots, but I knows me roots. ;)

cirrostratus
05-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Favorite sports team - Colorado Avalanche
Favorite player - Joe Sakic
Least fav. player - Todd Bertuzzi

timbok
05-07-2007, 01:33 PM
3 jet fans only..... almost more then my place though..

timbok
05-07-2007, 01:34 PM
anyway GO JETS

Rocketboy
05-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Favorite sports team - Colorado Avalanche
Favorite player - Joe Sakic
Least fav. player - Todd BertuzziWow, your first post and you're already making enemies with the Avs crap!
;)

jjreason
05-07-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm kinda stuck on that one - Sakic is one of my favorite Team Canada players, but he automatically turns into the enemy when he puts on that crappy Avs laundry. lol

Mad Slanted Powers
05-12-2007, 01:09 AM
I root for the Seattle and other Northwest teams. I've not really watched much basketball since the strike. The Sonics haven't done much since then anyway, though they do have local boy Luke Ridnour on the team.

My dad always rooted against Texas teams. I'm not as against them all as he was, but I usually root against the Cowboys. Not a fan of the Yankees. I did root for them in the 1996 series, but that was because I was tired of the Braves always being in the series and they had ex-Mariner Tino Martinez on the team. The Yankees hadn't one a series in many years prior to that. I also tend to not like the Lakers, as they were often the bane of the Sonics during the 80's.

I don't really have favorite players. There's so many good ones. As a kid, I recall Fran Tarkenton was my favorite. That was before Seattle had a team. Last time I saw him was on some infomercial for one of those ad schemes or something. So much for idols. I guess that's better than all these guys that are in trouble with the law for drugs and violence. However, being a Seahawks fan, I can't go without mentioning Steve Largent. He was a class act on and off the field. He wasn't flashy, and didn't have the speed of a lot of others. However, he worked hard, and as a result, you could count on him to run good routes and to not drop the ball.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Hijacked! You can still post your fave teams to support (or boo :tired: and complain about :upset: ), but what about sports that don't get the pub you think they deserve? Golf, car racing, swimming, track & field, bowling, lacrosse, etc. Even if they're not "real" sports. :rolleyes:

p.s. Inspired by a lack of any horseshoe or handgrenade threads. :p :closeenough:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I just realized this horrible typo in my last post:

The Yankees hadn't one a series in many years prior to that.

Hijacked! You can still post your fave teams to support (or boo :tired: and complain about :upset: ), but what about sports that don't get the pub you think they deserve? Golf, car racing, swimming, track & field, bowling, lacrosse, etc. Even if they're not "real" sports. :rolleyes:

p.s. Inspired by a lack of any horseshoe or handgrenade threads. :p :closeenough:Indeed, track and field doesn't get the publicity here in the U.S., except during the Olympics where it is one of the main events. However, being a fan of the distance races, those events often don't get the coverage. Last year I was able to watch complete coverage of the World Championships online. I haven't really looked this year to see if there was better coverage online than what Universal Sports has been doing on TV, but it has been good enough for me in this off year with no Olympics or World Championships. The inaugural Diamond League season just concluded this week. With Usain Bolt being injured, once again the world's fastest man is Gay.

JimJamBonds
08-29-2010, 02:19 PM
well its about time u had this.
favorite sports team-
favorite player-
least fav. team-
least fav. player-

Team: Milwaukee Brewers
Favorite player: Chris Solinsky (a track guy from Wisconsin)
Least favorite team: NY Yankees
Least favorite player: Brett Favre

Mad Slanted Powers
08-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Favorite player: Chris Solinsky (a track guy from Wisconsin)

Yeah, he's been doing pretty well this year. Sub 27 10K, sub 13 5K. He almost kept Merga from winning the Diamond League points total in the 5K.

JimJamBonds
08-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah, he's been doing pretty well this year. Sub 27 10K, sub 13 5K. He almost kept Merga from winning the Diamond League points total in the 5K.

He pr'd today in Italy in the 3k with a 7:34:and change. Lagat broke Bobby Kennedy's AR with a 7:29:something.

What are your thoughts on Galen Rupp?

Also at that same meet Rudisha CRUSHED his week old 800 World Record with a 1:41:09:sur::sur::sur:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-29-2010, 03:20 PM
He pr'd today in Italy in the 3k with a 7:34:and change. Lagat broke Bobby Kennedy's AR with a 7:29:something.

What are your thoughts on Galen Rupp?

Also at that same meet Rudisha CRUSHED his week old 800 World Record with a 1:41:09:sur::sur::sur:Did not know about this yet. Looks like Rudisha's time was actually 1:41.01, as 1:41.09 was what he ran last week.

Rupp seems to be doing well. He has been running PR's, but needs to improve a bit more to get up with Lagat, Solinksy, Ritzenhein, Tegenkamp, and of course all the Africans that dominate the distances.

Darth Metalmute
08-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Favorite Player: currently (team play only, no "I" in "team" :p )

But there is a "M" "E" :p

favorite sports team- NFL-Broncos, NHL-Red Wings, MLB-Tigers, NCAA-Ohio State, and if I watch it NBA-Pistons

favorite player- I stopped rooting for players when Stevie Y retired. All time favorite is John Elway, Alan Trammell and Stevie Y.

least fav. team- NFL-Raiders, NHL-All West playoff teams, MLB-White Sox, NCAA-Florida, NBA-Heat

least fav. player- Ray Lewis

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2010, 07:14 PM
I wonder if my list (LISTS... :drool: ) are different than earlier in this thread.

favorite sports team (you'll get a pattern)- NFL-Steelers, NHL-Pengins, MLB-Pirates, NCAA-Ohio State, Pitt, and Youngstown St., NBA-none (but will root for the LA Clippers out of pity)

favorite player- currently? hmm... I guess watching Ichiro chase down MLB hitting marks makes him the one I track the most, but I think I respect Tim Duncan of the Spurs more than others athletes

least fav. team- NFL-used to San Fran but now I don't care about them so I guess it might be New England, NHL-no hatred for the ice sport, MLB-the MLB scheduler that makes the Buccos play teams that can beat them (read: any) but I suppose I subtlely dislike the Yankees too, NCAA-not really a hate-fest here either, NBA- meh

least fav. player- sick of Bret Flipfarve's act for some time now

But I like the track talk... and in a non-summer Olympics year, too! :D

[edit]Here's my reponse from page 2 of this thread, minus the emoticons:

Favorite Team: It's tough, so I'l take the lame-o way out (pro football: Pittsboigh Stillers, MLB: Pitt Piates, college: Youngstown State Penguins)
Favorite Player: currently (team play only, no "I" in "team" ), all-time (Roberto Clemente or Jim Plunkett)
Least Favorite Team: the football franchise in San Francisco (I refuse to call it by name)
Least Favorite Player: currently (probably Terrell Owens), all-time (Francisco Cabrera )

JimJamBonds
08-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Rupp seems to be doing well. He has been running PR's, but needs to improve a bit more to get up with Lagat, Solinksy, Ritzenhein, Tegenkamp, and of course all the Africans that dominate the distances.

I think in the end Rupp will be fine, he gets flammed pretty bad over at Letsrun.com, but this is his first full year as a pro and has pr'd in from the 1,500 to 10,000. Its just bad luck that at Henry Jordan he beat Meb's 10,000 time but Solinksy beat his time by 10ish seconds. With all of the hype put into that race its easy to bash Galen. But I think that is due to people being... well people on internet messageboards. :p All told he's had a great year but Chris's has been better.

What's been forgotten is how awesome of a year Lagat has had. Two American records, an indoor world champ, 8 time Wannamaker Mile champ etc. For being an 'old guy' he's had a heck of a season.

Andrew Wheating had an awesome first couple of months as a pro as well. Lets hope he can put up those times in championship races.

And lets not forget the American women that have had a good year: Huddle, Knoll and Lolo (despite being up and down) amongst others.

Rocketboy
08-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Updated (Now with 500% more hatred!):
Favorite sports team - Detroit Red Wings/Tigers
Favorite player - Steve Yzerman, Wayne Gretzky
Least fav. team - Yankees, Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Ducks
Least fav. player - Anyone on any of the least fav teams

Mad Slanted Powers
08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
What's been forgotten is how awesome of a year Lagat has had. Two American records, an indoor world champ, 8 time Wannamaker Mile champ etc. For being an 'old guy' he's had a heck of a season.Yeah, since I've mostly been watching the Universal Sports coverage of the Diamond League, it seems Lagat had been kind of absent in the latter part of the season, and when he was there, he finished further back.

Andrew Wheating had an awesome first couple of months as a pro as well. Lets hope he can put up those times in championship races.Agreed. I see Symmonds had a pretty good time in that most recent Rudisha WR. Looks like it was his PR.

And lets not forget the American women that have had a good year: Huddle, Knoll and Lolo (despite being up and down) amongst others.
Yeah, the women middle distance runners have really emerged. Not quite as good this year as last year, but still some pretty good performances. Has Jenny Barringer been injured? I've not seen her in anything since Nationals.

Back on the men's side, Leo Manzano has been running pretty well lately.

And since we are discussing favorite athletes, I'm still hoping Paula Radcliffe will return to form and win the marathon on home soil in the 2012 London Olympics. Watching those track races from past World Champs and Olympics made me relate to her since I never had a kick. She tried every strategy to run the kick out of the others, but could never do it. She moved up to the marathon and became so much better than everyone, but only has one World Championship gold, and nothing from two Olympics.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Wow, your first post and you're already making enemies with the Avs crap!
;)

Way to permanently scare him off Rocketboy.

Lord Malakite
08-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Favorite sports team - Cincinnati Reds, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bulls and Detroit Red Wings

Bel-Cam Jos
02-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Here's an interesting (read: in my mind) query: can you match these Hall of Fame players in baseball, hockey, football, and basketball with the team each played?

1. Wade Boggs
2. Ray Bourque
3. Andre Dawson
4. Patrick Ewing
5. Grant Fuhr
6. Franco Harris
7. Michael Jordan
8. Karl Malone
9. Joe Namath
10.Tom Seaver
11.Bruce Smith
12.Emmitt Smith
13.Thurman Thomas
14.Dominique Wilkins

Arizona Cardinals
Boston Celtics
Boston Red Sox
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Florida Marlins
Los Angeles Lakers
Los Angeles Rams
Miami Dolphins
Seattle Seahawks
Seattle Supersonics
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Washington Redskins
Washington Wizards

Who'd've thunk it?

Mad Slanted Powers
02-20-2012, 06:34 PM
1. Wade Boggs - Tampa Bay Devil Rays
2. Ray Bourque - Colorado Avalanche
3. Andre Dawson - Florida Marlins
4. Patrick Ewing - Seattle Supersonics
5. Grant Fuhr - Calgary Flames
6. Franco Harris - Seattle Seahawks
7. Michael Jordan - Washington Wizards
8. Karl Malone - Los Angeles Lakers
9. Joe Namath - Los Angeles Rams
10.Tom Seaver - Boston Red Sox
11.Bruce Smith - Washington Redskins
12.Emmitt Smith - Arizona Cardinals
13.Thurman Thomas - Miami Dolphins
14.Dominique Wilkins - Boston Celtics

I had to cheat on the hockey ones. I had guessed wrong on those two on my first attempt at filling it out. I had Andre Dawson and Tom Seaver mixed up as well, though I was about to put them in the correct spots to begin with. All the others I knew or was able to deduce from what was left. I didn't remember Patrick Ewing playing with Seattle, though. However, I believe that was after the strike, and I didn't really follow the Sonics and the NBA very close after that.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Oops; I tried to pick players who didn't play for the same team at any point (i.e. Dawson, Seaver). It was spawned by all the should-Manning-play-for-another-team-than-the-Colts? talk.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Regarding so-called "lesser" sports, what's the deal with long-distance cycling? In the Tour de France this weekend, there was a significant crash, and IIRC three racers had to drop out due to injury. Now I know they're trying for aerodynamics, light weight, and speed but when you could be eliminated from the race by falling, why not more knee or arm protection? And can those bike supply cars get ANY closer to the racers?

JimJamBonds
07-08-2012, 03:32 PM
... why not more knee or arm protection?It'd slow them down too much
And can those bike supply cars get ANY closer to the racers?5 inches too far away for you?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Regarding so-called "lesser" sports, what's the deal with long-distance cycling?Well, the only former 7-time winner, Lance Armstrong, loses those titles. Everyone now knows that. But a sports radio show noticed that since 1996, there is now only one non-removed Tour de France winner over that stretch. Sad.

Darth Metalmute
08-25-2012, 06:37 PM
From what i heard yesterday, the USADA doesn't have authority to strip Lance of those titles. It's up to the International Cycling Union, which was in Armstrong's corner, to make that decision. They could, in fact, challenge the USADA decision over the doping allegations.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Well, yet another Triple Crown-less year. :( Sorry, CA Chrome.

With all these yearly retrospectives I'm seeing on TV lately, it got me thinking: what are the best seasons for each sports team? Maybe it was their only championship year, or the furthest they reached in the playoffs, highest win percentage, etc. And for those teams who've been great multiple times, that could create some discussion. With that said, and I'll put some in that I doubt people would disagree with to get started, plus "my" teams, so copy & paste and add in your choices with your reply...

NFL
Pittsburgh Steelers 1978
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2002
New York Jets 1968

NBA
Milwaukee Bucks 1970-71
Chicago Bulls 1995-96
Seattle Supersonics 1978-79

MLB
Pittsburgh Pirates 1909
Arizona Diamondbacks 2001

NHL
Pittsburgh Penguins 1991-92
Tampa Bay Lightning 2003-04

JimJamBonds
06-09-2014, 08:04 PM
NBA
Milwaukee Bucks 1970-71

Yeah that was the year they won it all, they actually had some really good teams in the 80's but they kept running into the Celtics/76ers/Pistons.

Chicago Bulls 95-96
Was that the year they lost only 10 games? It's tough to go against any of those 6 Bull team's that won it all.

MLB
~ The two years the Marlins won it all, other then that...not so much.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Yep; that was the 72-win Bulls squad. But WHICH of those two Marlins teams was better? Aye, there's the rub. You have Wisconsin ties, JJB; which Brewers (or Packers?) team would you add here?

So, with some copying/pasting, with some prompting of teams I think there are SSG Forumites for:
NFL
Pittsburgh Steelers 1978
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2002
New York Jets 1968
Chicago Bears ____
San Diego Chargers ____
Buffalo Bills ____
New York Giants ____
Green Bay Packers ____
Seattle Seahawks 2013

NBA
Milwaukee Bucks 1970-71
Chicago Bulls 1995-96
Seattle Supersonics 1978-79

MLB
Pittsburgh Pirates 1909
Arizona Diamondbacks 2001
Florida/Miami Marlins ____
New York Yankees ____
San Diego Padres ____
Los Angeles/Brooklyn Dodgers ____
Chicago Cubs ____
Milwaukee Brewers ____
Detroit Tigers ____
Chicago White Sox ____
Seattle Mariners 2001

NHL
Pittsburgh Penguins 1991-92
Tampa Bay Lightning 2003-04
New York Rangers ____
Los Angeles Kings ____
Chicago Blackhawks ____
Detroit Red Wings ____

Mad Slanted Powers
06-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Seahawks won the Super Bowl this year. Hopefully not for the last time. The Mariners had that great 2001 season where it seemed like they couldn't lose, until they got to the playoffs.

JimJamBonds
06-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Brewers: In 1982 they lost to St. Louis in 7 in the World Series.

Packers? Well they've won 13 world championship titles so its tough to say which one is "the one." The 96/97 that won the Super Bowl I'd say was better then the 2010/2011 team. That said, probably one of the "Glory Years" iel Lombardi teams would probably be the best Packer team ever, which I don't know.

Although....there were teams in the 20's and 30's that won it all as well...