PDA

View Full Version : Does no-one speak anymore?

Jargo
04-27-2007, 03:41 PM
170 people online right now, 18 of those are members. leaving 152 lurkers. No wonder this site feels like a graveyard sometimes. there's a sort of grinding slowing of cogs across the net where star wars is concerned. like filthy rats leaving a ship that's not even sunk or sinking. a little low in the water maybe but still afloat. seems like the only people left posting here are the ones with balls.

Kidhuman
04-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Ad IJG. :D

I hear where you are coing from MDP. These lurkers need to start signing up and joing the fray.

stillakid
04-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Shhhhhhh!

__________________________________________________ _________

2-1B
04-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Pipe up all you lurkers !

Actually, I thought this was going to be a thread about people using text messaging in public.

General_Grievous
04-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Could this be a reason why there have been less and less new threads in the General Discussion area?

jjreason
04-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Jargo, I think your appraisal of the situation is a little optomistic - the boat is running aground as I type. EU figures everywhere, repacks, rehashes and repaints clogging the shelves, no promise of any TV shows as soon as was once thought..... it's an uglier time for Star Wars than you're letting on.

At least most of the basic figures from the movies look good for the rest of this year.

UKWildcat
04-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Lets try a different approach:

If you are a lurker YOU'VE WON!!!! Click here (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/register.php?) to claim your prize!!!

:D

Jargo
04-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Jargo, I think your appraisal of the situation is a little optomistic - the boat is running aground as I type. EU figures everywhere, repacks, rehashes and repaints clogging the shelves, no promise of any TV shows as soon as was once thought..... it's an uglier time for Star Wars than you're letting on.

At least most of the basic figures from the movies look good for the rest of this year.

Actually I think the EU figures could well bring some folk back in. those who got sick of the same characters time and time again in the same costumes with very little difference between sculpts. that does get a bit wearing.

i feel energy around the EU figures even though i don't buy into the EU arena itself. the figures are good looking figures. something new and fresh. which is eactly where the live action tv show will be going in some respects. it's an expanded universe they'll be exploring without the core characters from the movies. so i see the comic packs as a sort of scene setter. uncharted territory. new horizons.

of course the battlepacks and legends crud still stink but there's a few figures in there I'm set for. it's the vehicles they need to get going. new stuff. fresh sculpts not the same vintage molds re-used endlessly.

I think LFL need to get the movies out in theatres again. marathon viewings. one half of the saga a night. stop with the self aggrandising and arrogance and stupid in-jokes. when the creators seem to be making light of the product and not taking it seriously how do they expect anyone else to?

I think they need to reign in the amount of cruddy products with he brand name slapped on them flooding the marketplace. reclaim some credibility. And realise that the twelve year olds Lucas aimed TPM at are now adults. there are fewer kids involved in collecting and the young dults are clever enough to see through the cynicism that pervades this beast called star wars now.

All isn't lost, it's just taken a bad footing. And maybe after the TV show it'll die a death but it might not. it might rejuvinate star wars in the way the prequels failed to. After all Lucas finally gets to make his serialised sci-fi show. His Flash Gordon homage. and with any luck and 18 years of timeframe to play with shorter episodes and tighter scripts it'll suck fresh blood into this community.

so yes, I'm cautiously optimistic. but right now that feels a whole lot better than pessimisticaly jaded.

Tenric78
04-27-2007, 09:23 PM
It's kind of hard to join the conversation when everyone has over a thousand posts here hehe. I feel like an outsider!

CaptainSolo1138
04-27-2007, 11:04 PM
It's kind of hard to join the conversation when everyone has over a thousand posts here hehe. I feel like an outsider!
I actually feel bad for you. I hate registering and posting on new boards because I always feel intimidated. It always seemed to me that we were on of the nicest and easiest communities to join on these here internetz. The fact that someone has kinda sorta called "us" out means that "we" perhaps aren't as nice as I percieved. :sad:

To be honest, Tenric, all it takes is a good ""Slicker's mom" joke and you're in around these parts. :thumbsup:

stillakid
04-28-2007, 02:16 AM

Quality, not quantity, matters. There have been people here who have "talked" a lot with nothing to say. :yes:

2-1B
04-28-2007, 02:21 AM
with a mere 2,200 posts, Caps is a n00b so i wouldn't pay him any attention.

Lord Malakite
04-28-2007, 02:31 AM
To be honest, Tenric, all it takes is a good "Slicker's mom" joke and you're in around these parts.
This comment is so wide open for a dirty "Slicker's Mom" joke that not even I can touch it with a 10 and a half foot pole. You'd go blind and mute from it.:cross-eye

TeeEye7
04-28-2007, 03:41 AM

Never mind the post counts. An "eternal padawan" status is what you seek! ;)

Please feel welcomed....the more the merrier (this from a confirmed "lurker" :twisted: ....sorry Jargo ;) )

Jargo
04-28-2007, 05:47 PM
I used to think I talked a lot. and sure some of what i say doesn't actually contribute to the conversation. sometimes i read my old posts and they don't even make sense to me. I don't think that matters too much.

maybe it's just that I'm fast approaching 40 and looking around noticing that I'm now among the eldest community members. perhaps i just don't want to appear to be a sad case collecting toys and talking star wars like a lonely old spinster talking about dollshouses or something.

ooh i just noticed someone has tidied up a line of batteries on my desk. that's weird. arranged top to tail in a perfect line.

maybe I have althzeimers.....

I used to think i talked a lot. maybe stillakid is right. what are we talking about again?

stillakid
04-28-2007, 06:10 PM
I used to think i talked a lot. maybe stillakid is right. what are we talking about again?

As I get closer to 40, I'm learning that sometimes the silences between words speak louder than any amount of dialogue ever could.

and the messages aren't always good. :(

jjreason
04-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Nobody talks in Toronto, that's for sure. Walk down the street there and try to ask someone for the time, or ask them how it's going and you get looked at like the creature from the Black Lagoon. I'm not used to it - seems to me things were a lot friendlier back on the west coast.

Tenric78
04-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Oh, please don't think that I get the impression that you're not nice. It's more like everyone knows each other really well as you're an established community. When I come in and post I wonder why anyone would care about what I'd have to say with my less than a hundred comments. heh

Maybe SirSteve's Guide could have a contest for people that join the forums or something to get some new blood? Just a thought.

Okay uhhh... hmmm... God... my back really hurts. I think I threw it out humping Slicker's Mom last night.

Is that okay?

Jargo
04-28-2007, 07:10 PM
In the real world. I rarely speak at all. I think a lot but mostly forget to vocalise what I've thought. I'm probably better at expressing myself physically. facial expressions that sort of thing. 'emotional leakage' as psychologists like to call body language these days. I gues when i write stuff online I stumble over so many different thoughts rushing at me at once that often only parts of them get typed and sometimes i have several opinions about the same subject. which when typed conspire to make a hypocrite of me.

I definitely prefer forums to chat rooms though. At least forums allow you to keep track of a conversation. it's not just loads of people all firing off at the same time and making an unreadable mess like chat rooms are.

This christmas it'll be eight years since I first wandered into the forums of SSG. That's a long time and a lot of reading. I've seen wars on the cellblock nebula, seabeams off the shoulder Gen Misc..... oh wait that's bladerunner. I've seen many come and go. and come and go again. I've fought battles over potatoes, skirmished over action features and the EU. I've been a moderator and I believe i was once suspended for a short spell. I've been up, down, and despondant about star wars. but I've never left it, and it's never left me. There's always some part of it I find to enjoy even if other areas lose their interest. And there's always something to talk about. even if it's just to sharpen my wits and word skills in a heated debate about the nature of Yoda's true sex. Or how exactly so many aquatic species survive on Tatooine.

I'd just hate to see this place turn into a jaded grey ghost of it's former self like so many 'other' forums around the net. SSG has always had a spark and a feeling of true independence. a sort of lone wolf among sites.
A place that feels like home. warm safe and comfortable as old sneakers.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Actually, I thought this was going to be a thread about people using text messaging in public.As did I. Then I started to get that song stuck in my head: "As I was walking down the street one day. A man... Does anybody really know what time it is? (time) Does anybody really care? (About time) ..."

Maybe SirSteve's Guide could have a contest for people that join the forums or something to get some new blood? Just a thought.

Okay uhhh... hmmm... God... my back really hurts. I think I threw it out humping Slicker's Mom last night.

Is that okay?Do you mean literal new blood? Eww... :transfusion:
But the Slick comment is acceptable (unless you ask Mr. Roboto, aka Slicker, himself... ). Really, if you ask Mr. Owl (aka El Chuxter), he's the true SMJ expert.

Way back in '99 (yes, that's 1899... :rolleyes: ), I joined this band of merry [mainly] men, amazingly with NO POSTS AT ALL. Now look at me. Thanks, TrimSpa! It just takes time, does anybody really care (about time)? :p

JEDIpartner
05-01-2007, 12:28 PM
No one speaks since Gwen Stefani asked us not to. :o

Jargo
05-01-2007, 07:12 PM
damn that moose!

jjreason
05-03-2007, 01:47 AM
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts. :cry:

Jargo
05-04-2007, 05:46 PM
What's Going On?
SirStevesGuide.com Forums Statistics
Currently Active Users (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/online.php): 161 (12 members and 149 guests)
Most users ever online was 463, 01-30-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Threads: 30,031, Posts: 522,059, Members: 8,635

TeeEye7
05-05-2007, 01:30 AM
It's a lurkers' convention! ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
05-06-2007, 10:58 AM
It's a lurkers' convention! ;)Hope they bought their entrance badges, or they'll git throwed out like a droid in Chalman's cantina!

To be fair, there's a couple postable sites I "lurk" around as a non-registered member. But I'm there maybe 5-10 minutes max, and I have no connection to those who post or contribute there. Here, it's more differenter.