PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace, Vulcantouch - Headstone is set

vulcantouch-mom
04-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Today, Mom, Mark Gautier and myself went to visit him for what would've been his 39th birthday. This time, last year, we were enjoying his last birthday party on a bright, sunny afternoon like today, but warmer. This link will take you to the Snapfish album from today. I love the way his avatar came out. What do y'all think?

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=154557846/a=56947943_56947943/t_=56947943

Please accept my apologies for not having posted for some time. Mom & I drove to Monument to deliver the remaining collection pieces back to Marilyn's widower. We were taken to a terrific diner called Rosie's Diner. It's pretty big and bright and clean and has WONDERFUL burgers!

A friend is offering groups of what's left on Ebay - they're down to around 2500 pieces. Because of the situation here at the house (Ken's divorce), I'm still not able to access and sort through items to come to a few of you from Jéan's collection, but it's still all here. And, I appreciate your patience. Mom requires more and more attention and time and my body's revolting the increased demands.:frus: Soooooooo, heated Bed-Buddy, analgesics and focusing on a few PC games, watching movies, CSI shows and playing w/Ken's boys when they stay here on his days off, help keep my mind off things. I'm still waiting to grieve - maybe next year, eh? Just kidding. I just get really tired of waiting for my turn. Ok-end of pity party. Sorry 'bout that - needed a bit of venting.

BTW, have y'all voted for the new Star Wars stamp and entered the contest for the trip for 4 to Star Wars Celebration IV in Los Angeles? R2-D2 and C-3PO stared at me the other day at the Post Office. Who knew you could play post office w/droids?:silly:

VT-Mom :yes: :yes: :yes:

JediTricks
04-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Carolyn, thanks for sharing the pictures with us. They did a great job with Jean's logo, the color and even the little Boba Fett arrows are there, I honestly didn't expect it to be so accurate - not sure why, I guess I just don't have much faith in gravestone carvers - and the shape looks just right.

I didn't realize it was Jean's birthday today, I'm not sure he ever mentioned it, but I'm really bad with that sort of thing. It's still hard for me to accept he's gone, I'll see something that I know he would have loved (or loved to trash on the forums ;) ) and it'll take a second to adjust that I can't share it.

I did indeed vote, I chose the Millennium Falcon stamp because I thought it was a little more dynamic. Have you voted yet? They're all getting made in 1 panel, but the winner of the contest gets made as its own single sheet as well.

Well, thanks for sharing, and take care of yourself. :)

vulcantouch-mom
04-27-2007, 11:10 PM
being a Libra, naturally, I was undecided, given so many choices. I'll have to take another look at the Millenium Falcon. I focused on Boba Fett and Darth Vader - DV especially has always had my heart. :silly: Mark told me today about the Boba Fett costume Jéan made and wore some years back and, sadly, it was before pictures of their outings. Took me back to the grade-school halloween Darth Vader costume we both worked on. It was awesome but I lost track of him once we got to school :o

Thanks again, for your contribution of design that will survive for years to come on my son's headstone.

VT-mom :pleased:

sergiurusu
04-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Thank you Carolyn for the pics and for sharing this with us. We miss Jean so much!

vulcantouch-mom
04-28-2007, 04:54 AM
:yes: I enjoyed reading your Ph D Thesis Introduction very much and appreciate the efforts you had to take to make it available through my e-mail. I'm very proud of you and know Jéan would've appreciated your achievement, as well.

On a lighter note, I met a licensed vampire at a 7-11 (convenience store) on Thursday morning. No, really, he had his card with him, purchased at a store in a shopping mall near my Sister's home and reminded me of my brother 40 years ago (resembled him). It was interesting sharing an appreciation of that part of your country's history. His eyes lit up when I told him of the lovely wooden Dracula plate you'd given me. Unfortunately, my ever-failing memory leaves me with a blank, for the moment, at how the subject comes up, but I'll be sure to share it when my memory's comet makes another orbit, hopefully soon. ;) Oh, to be able to restore thoughts like we can on the pc *sigh*

Enjoy the day, Sergiu!

VT-mom :) :) :)

AndyW
04-28-2007, 05:19 AM
That looks lovely, many thanks for sharing the picture with us.

vulcantouch-mom
04-28-2007, 06:19 AM
for having included your website with so many wonderful pictures. I've saved a copy of your shot of Jangu Fett at the Paris SW Exhibition. With your permission, I'd like to use it with a CD jigsaw puzzle program I own. Good clarity - Viva la Cellphone cameras! Cool Cylon Civic shot - you're right - hmmmmmmm, do the headlights scan left and right? That would be cool! Baby Evie's adorable, the Euro 100 looks interesting-what's the structure on it? I just read about the USD vs Euro in current value. It's doing quite well, eh? I failed to locate an English-translated page to provide more information on the striking Le monument aux Mort d'Orient. How can I find some history on it. It intrigues me.

Your BG ships are nicely displayed. I forget what the claw-shaped one is, but I've always appreciated it's design. I've long been appreciative of architecture and wonder what The Prefecture was built for and is currently used for. Your compositionis good in the shot of Cathedrale de la Major w/bicycle wheels and cyclists in the foreground. Well done!

Enjoy the weekend - ours will be sunny and bright.

VT-Mom :) :) :)

LTBasker
04-28-2007, 09:40 AM
That is a very beautiful job that was done on the headstone, it is so surprising how well it was done, especially with the avatar symbol!

I hope you get to feeling better, VT-Mom and that it won't be much longer until you can take it easy. :) Thanks for sharing!

vulcantouch-mom
04-28-2007, 09:56 AM
the mason did a fine job of the avatar, and it's what I was most worried about, hoping it would be accurately rendered as it was the crowning point of the design.

Thank you for your kind and hopeful words, LT. You're right. No matter how dark and bleak things can seem, at least I see the sun come up the next day and have another chance my son will never have.

Mom & I will be heading out for errands in a bit while Ken snoozes for a few hours before picking up da-boyz. Once they're here, it'll be late nights before I get to the PC. I was able to purchase several games they really enjoy - and they're so GOOD with them!

'nuff smalltalk - I'll have to set aside a day of collection item browsing online. I may be back w/questions. TOYS!!!!!!!!!!

bobafrett
04-28-2007, 01:45 PM
I just saw your album, as you e-mailed the link. The headstone is beautiful. I was describing how I aquired the two Riddell helmets to my girlfriend, through two people who are no longer with us here. They are among my most treasured collectibles.

As for the stamp, I have been voting for the Stormtroopers myself.

jeddah
04-29-2007, 05:06 AM
Thank you mum, it has such an accuracy to the initial design you sent us last year and looks really great, not just the his sigil/logo/avatar but also the pastoral scene which gives great serenity.

Thank you for continuing to think of us at these forums with your updates and tales of what you've been up to. I still marvel at the way this sadness has come round to increase the family here at SSG!

Much love from the UK

jeddah

vulcantouch-mom
04-29-2007, 10:23 AM
and always think of the shortened form Jéan used for your Forum User name now whenever I see you here. Funny how some things stick with ya.

Yes, I marvel at the global circle of friends y'all have created within your 'collective' mind (geez, I'm waxing Borg - it's odd to see Jeri Ryan on "Shark", but she's terrific!

I look forward to visiting him again on Mother's Day w/Mom. He always thought of unusual places to go and spend time. He turned out to be my favorite "date", so to speak, going places and just sitting, enjoying the atmosphere, sipping, tea, sharing a meal, sometimes reading to me. I'll always consider myself to be a most fortunate mother for having had him for my son for the time we had together.

I hope your weather is as pleasant as it is here across the pond :yes:. I've become most disappointed that BBC America only avails "Eastenders" if you subscribe to some satellite dish network instead of cable :dis: . Oddly enough, our PBS stations air it on Sunday evening - - several episodes from the mid-nineties. :frus: Da bums!:mad: Ah well,

My mother is quite pleased at the results of all our efforts and that's very important to me. She still gets quite upset when allowed to ponder being without him, so it's important she have something to keep her mind occupied. I was able to collect a library of Andre Rieu dvd's and they fill her day with music and his somewhat flamboyant showmanship.

We, Jeddah, I've talked your ear off and my grandson, Liam/aka Tootles, is finishing the last bit of his banana, sipping his apple juice, so I'm going to send you with a wish for a good week.

Thanks again, for your kind words and thoughtfulness, Jeddah:thumbsup:

sicqnus
04-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Very nice work on VT's headstone, Carolyn. PLease Carolyn, could you tell me where is he buried ? I would like to see the location on Google Earth.

sergiurusu
05-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Very nice work on VT's headstone, Carolyn. PLease Carolyn, could you tell me where is he buried ? I would like to see the location on Google Earth.

That would be amazing!

vulcantouch-mom
05-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm happy to provide you with the information. Here is a copy of the e-mail to you, Sicqnus, yesterday, after trying several times while the site was doing upgrades.

This link will take you to the Verizon Superpages website for it - http://yellowpages.superpages.com/supermaps/mapinit.jsp?N=Archdiocese+Mortuary&STYPE=S&L=CO&R=N&LID=0126922942&map.x=212&map.y=125&level=8&lat=039778369&lng=-105141827&POI1lat=039778369&POI1lng=-105141827&POI1name=Mortuary+Archdiocese+Of+Denver+-+Cemetery&streetaddress=12801+West+44+Avenue&city=Golden&state=CO&zip=80401

This link will take you to the zoom-level. There's a group of three sections resembling slightly altered parallelograms running North and South. Jéan's grave is in the Westernmost section, just East of the section with a curved west border. Dividing the length of the section by 5, he lies 1/5 from the north and 3 gravesites from the East border. His headstone is on the West end. http://yellowpages.superpages.com/mapbasedsearch/mapsearch.jsp?N=Archdiocese+Mortuary&L=CO&STYPE=S&R=N&LID=0126922942&map.x=212&map.y=125&level=8&lat=039814947&lng=-105183099&POI1lat=039814947&POI1lng=-105183099&POI1name=Mortuary+Archdiocese+Of+Denver+-+Cemetery&streetaddress=12801+West+44+Avenue&city=Arvada&state=CO&zip=80002&spad=no

The address of Mount Olivet Cemetery/Archdiocese of Denver Mortuary, is 12801 West 44 Avenue, Arvada, CO 80002. From what I can find, the available shots are a year or 2 old, depending on the site. We'll be going again before too long, and I'll take some more inclusive pictures, that include surrounding gravesites and it may give you a better perspective of the layout. I regret the driver for my scanner was lost when I upgraded to my current PC, failing to save the programs for that and my printer. Otherwise, I'd be able to include the map to the cemetery and you'd easily locate where Jéan rests. I'll do that when I can locate the CD, which is buried (no pun included) in the back room with so many other items. For now, I've got to clear more of the room so Ken can have a bit of space. Off to box albums! Take care Siqnus and Sergiu.

May the Force Be With Y'all!:thumbsup:

VT-Mom

sicqnus
05-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks Carolyn, coordinates are : 39°46'58.19"N,105° 8'39.83"W

sergiurusu
05-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Thank you Carolyn :)

JediTricks
09-20-2007, 04:47 PM
I can't believe how long it's been. VT's mom, Carolyn, just contacted me to let me know that they had changed the headstone's paint on his avatar without talking to her first. In doing a little background on VT's 'tar, it dawned on me how long it's been since he passed away. To me, it still feels like it's only been a few months ago, not over a year.

Anyway, they painted his headstone slightly darker, but it seems to fit the balance of reds and blues that VT was looking for - only darker - and Carolyn feels it may fade to the color in the avatar. I've attached photos, the second one is VT's grandmother and aunts.

sergiurusu
09-21-2007, 11:28 AM
I received their email too but due to some errors the pics were all over the message text. Anyway the headstone look beautiful. I miss VT>:(