PDA

View Full Version : Prequel Lover/Hater Roll Call

stillakid
04-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Now that we've all got some years behind us, the initial "excitement" of having a new Star Wars film to watch has had time to wear off.

So, with the benefit of perspective, who here:

A) can look back at TPM, AOTC, and ROTS and still enjoy all of them or some of them or just parts of each?

or

B) look back at them and either still think they are completely crap or have come to realize that they are crap?

or

C) used to see them as crap but have had a change of heart and think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread?

General_Grievous
04-28-2007, 12:02 PM
File me under choice A. I absolutely love "Revenge of the Sith", as well as the last 25 minutes of "Attack of the Clones" and the lightsaber fight in "The Phantom Menace". Over time, watching some parts of TPM and AOTC have become damn near unbearable, but ROTS alone redeems all of that. For me, at least.

jeddah
04-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Count me in the A camp too! I recently lent my 1-3s out and although I love ANH, i realised when I got the DVDs back yesterday and watched ROTS last night, that I (shock horror) prefer them to the OT. Mind you I love the Renaissance feel of the new ones and Theed is where I want to live. Anyway. But then, I'm an obtuse kind of chap, a queer and moody brute, but there's rich soil if you care to dig :D

jeddah

jjreason
04-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Put me down as sick of arguing about it. 4 years of reading the same arguments over and over and over and over and over again about why one sucks and the other rules will do that to a guy.

Kidhuman
04-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Some of camp A and some of camp JJ.

Droid
04-28-2007, 04:47 PM
I guess I am in mostly in Camp A.

I adored TPM at first, got sick of Jar Jar, got tired of how long they spend setting up the pod race. (Seriously, it was like watching Han and Chewie build a speeder bike before they could go after the biker scouts. Couldn't they just have been hiding on Tatooine, come across the pod race, had Qui-Gon been impressed with Anakin, and had it go from there?)

I came to realize it had terrbile problems, particularly when I saw the next two films wouldn't fix the issues I had with it.

The first night I saw AOTC I was depressed because I thought it had some painfully bad parts. With both TPM and AOTC I usually end up putting in the DVD and watching the ending. Couldn't tell you last time I made it through either one all the way.

ROTS was better than the other two combined, but I was bummed that it would not solve all the issues I had with the first two. (Never once mentioned Sifo-Dyas in the 3rd film? Never had Owen or Beru have a bigger part? Never showed Qui-Gon's ghost? Never had Anakin and Obi-wan be the great friends we were led to believe they would be?)

With the ROTS I find that once they rescue Palpatine until Anakin finds out Palpatine is a Sith is a hard patch to get through.

I really like the films, but to me they didn't live up to the originals at all and they don't have the enormous rewatch value for me that the original trilogy does.

But is it a fault of a movie if I get bored with it on the 20th viewing?

princethomas
04-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Camp A for me too. From start to finish frankly.
Bewildered at anyone who think Jar Jar is more annoying than C3P0
Bewildered at anyone who thinks the acting in the OT is any better than the PT
Bewildered at anyone who thinks the there are still "contradictions" between the two.

TPM and AOTC have one problem each. TPM is too thin and AOTC has too much work to try to squeeze in. GL knew this and has even admitted so. Really TPM needs to be like an hour of Anakin as a kid and QG and an hour of Anakin as an adult. But I think that would be too weird. So he had to stretch TPM and Compress AOTC and you can tell. But I think it was a better choice than to try to make some sort of weird "Time Jump Forward" in TPM.

-T

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-28-2007, 07:27 PM
A. I haven't seen any of the SW films for several months but it was the same feeling last time I saw them and I didn't have a change of heart since then or anything.

Jargo
04-28-2007, 07:52 PM
I really don't know. I find things to enjoy in every movie and things that annoy me too. I like the richness of the prequels, and all the design work. but i like the utilitarian and sparse look of the OT too. There's good and bad acting in both trilogies. I really can't call it.

Tenric78
04-28-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm in A) even though I don't like Phantom M. I gave it a fair shot. I like parts of Clones (especially the clones heh) and I like Revenge a lot.

figrin bran
04-28-2007, 11:56 PM
camp B for me. the only prequel installment i would even want to watch is ROTS and even then, it's iffy.

DarkArtist
04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I myself thought they were great from the very beginning. as a fan of all things Star Wars they were a new look at a beloved Saga. Would I rather have had George make 7-9 yes but he chose to make 1-3 and they were awesome.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2007, 09:38 AM
So, with the benefit of perspective, who here:

A) can look back at TPM, AOTC, and ROTS and still enjoy all of them or some of them or just parts of each?

or

B) look back at them and either still think they are completely crap or have come to realize that they are crap?

or

C) used to see them as crap but have had a change of heart and think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread?I have pretty much always been the first part of A. I liked them then, I've liked them since, I like them now, and I expect I will like them later. Star Wars is Star Wars; there's massive creativity, amazing visuals, decent to exceptional stories, flat to complex characterization, etc. That's the same as many stories, be they film or written or oral.

I like parts of Clones (especially the clones heh) and I like Revenge a lot.And I have an excellent recipe for Chilled Revenge a la Clone. :evil: :rolleyes:

CaptainSolo1138
04-29-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm somewhere between A and B. There are still some parts I enjoy (the podrace, the arena battle, Order 66) but I've come to see these movies as three poorly acted but action-packed movies that have nothing to do with Star Wars.

I don't think it is a coincidence that my favorite part form each movie does little if anything to advance the story along. It seems the best parts of the prequels were the superflous "stuff" that was thrown in as attention getters and not the actual movies. Kinda pathetic, really. :ermm:

bigbarada
04-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Most people on here will remember that I was in camp A for years, but after the very first midnight screening of Ep3, I quickly fell into camp B. ROTS actually killed my interest in Star Wars for several months.

They don't even support each other well. Midichlorians are a major plot point in TPM, then only brought up as an afterthought in ROTS. Sifo-Dyas is the catalyst behind the creation of the clone army, but his actual identity is never so much as hinted at later on.

Plus, why have Anakin build Threepio and why have Yoda and Chewie be buddies if those relationships don't carry any weight in the OT?

The prequels were just sloppy attempts to fill in a story that really didn't need to be told (and definitely didn't need three films to tell it).

jjreason
04-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Well, BB, I'm sure Lucas' accountants would argue with you about that. :D

I found the attempts at weaving connections between seemingly EVERY SW CHARACTER EVER CREATED way too over the top - there were so many things that could have just been left to the imagination (Ani building 3PO, Jango being Boba's dad, you name it), but I felt that Luke being Leia's sister was awkward way back in the day as well.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-29-2007, 06:47 PM
I thought Phantom Menace was great, and still do. However, I think the other two episodes did not quite work as well as they should have. Things didn't tie in as well with the OT. Still, I enjoyed them, and will continue to enjoy them.

TeeEye7
04-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm somewhere in "A" liking TPM, liking AOTC a little less, and being hugely disappointed in ROTS.

ROTS actually killed my interest in Star Wars for several months.

I found myself there recently when HBO was running all six movies: went out of my way to watch OT and TPM, made sure I had other plans when ROTS was on.

I think JJR's thoughts on characters right on, too. G.Lu made ROTS too pat and neat for me to end the whole saga. That's why ESB will always be my favorite because of the doubt left at the end of the episode. Cliffhangers appeal to me.

JetsAndHeels
04-29-2007, 06:54 PM
File me under A....the part of option A that sold me was "and still enjoy all of them or some of them or just parts of each?" When I do watch one of the first 2 prequels, it is not all the way through. For me TPM is only good in the last part of the film (lightsaber duel in particular). AOTC I can watch most of, but the constant romance on Naboo drives me crazy so I skip that. ROTS I can actually watch all the way through..its not too sappy and keeps my interest very well. I think that is because it is the darker of the 3, but still I absolutely hate the padme death...weak, weak way to kill off a character.

Having said all of this I am still an OT fan first and foremost, ESB being my all time favorite of them.

stillakid
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Personally, I'm in the A camp. On the whole, as stories, Episodes I, II, and III are complete garbage. TPM is a waste of time from beginning to end and does NOTHING to add to or advance the story that is Star Wars. Episodes II and III not only contradict so much of what the OT established, which in and of itself is reason enough for any true fan of Star Wars to hate them, but even if we forget that the OT ever happened, II and III are just bad stories and films anyway.

So why A for me? The "moments." Lucas's strength has always been in the elements, which are generally very cool and tap into all kinds of emotional and nostalgiac feelings for so many people. But the guy has absolutely no talent whatsoever to actually string them together into anything resembling a coherent storyline. He had help with IV, V, and VI which is why they are as good as they are and still hold up. I, II, and III were essentially his own ego deciding that he would just do it all no matter what the result would be. So we wound up with cool "moments" scattered occasionally and cool "stuff" that makes equally cool toys and collectibles. But the stories blow huge chunks.

So.... I had to respond to this:

Bewildered at anyone who think Jar Jar is more annoying than C3P0
Jar Jar was manufactured specifically to cater to Lucas's toddler son, Jett. As such, Jar Jar is not only a waste of a character, but empirically annoying. Threepio had a point and a function to serve (in the OT). Jar Jar was made specifically to be the jester and he was NOT funny by any stretch.

Bewildered at anyone who thinks the acting in the OT is any better than the PT
The acting in the OT isn't always perfect, but in comparison to the rubbish through and through in the Prequels, it might as well be Shakespeare. I know that Liam Neeson can act. I've even enjoyed Hayden in other things. And poor Natalie has somehow managed to keep her career afloat after having to endure that stilted "direction" and dialogue she was given in all three prequels. Sam Jackson is just a horrible actor in anything, so it would be wrong to blame the prequels for that one. And practically everyone else in the Prequels, from Panaka to any of the digitial creations were so poorly acted, it often felt like a high-school play. Just bad, bad, bad. I don't understand Prince Thomas's statement AT ALL. The OT is far and away superior in nearly every way to anything the Prequels had to offer.

Bewildered at anyone who thinks the acting in the OT is any better than the PT Bewildered at anyone who thinks the there are still "contradictions" between the two.
[/quote]
Anyone who DOESN'T see the contradictions either isn't paying close enough attention or doesn't want to see them. I mean, damn, ROTS contradicts ITSELF for cryin' out loud!!!!! Seriously, again, you have to actively NOT want to see the problems to believe that they are flawless.

But hey, the toys are still cool. :love:

JEDIpartner
04-30-2007, 02:48 PM
List me as an "A". I watched JEDI this past weekend and have decided that it is largely unwatchable and think it's definitely worse than any of the prequels.

General_Grievous
04-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Sam Jackson is just a horrible actor in anything
*cough*Pulp Fiction*cough*

JEDIpartner
05-01-2007, 10:53 AM
If you're gonna go there... Madonna in "Desperately Seeking Susan". 'Nuff said. :o

LTBasker
05-01-2007, 11:57 AM
The majority of me is in camp B, minority is in camp A. Overall I'm pretty disappointed with the prequels but there are some very good things about them.

I don't so much despite them, but understand why they lacked real integrity - Lucas is an amateur. Yes, he came up with the stories for ANH, ESB and ROTJ but he only directed one of them and that still had alot of outside influence. Years of inflating his ego through lots of credit he doesn't even deserve turned him into a legendary filmmaker, especially after rereleasing the trilogy not once, but twice.

There were the THX versions which made sense to rerelease and then he decided to change things and make a Special Edition because he could. He finally had enough money to do whatever popped in his head and plenty of yes-men to stand behind him.

Then, he decided to do the prequels. Regardless of wether or not he did have the stories in place before ANH was even released, he wasn't an experienced enough filmmaker to consistently handle the burden of this trilogy as writer AND director.

jedi master sal
05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
I rarely watch Phantom Menace anymore. Just not enough there for me to WANT to wathc. The lightsaber fight at the end is the only real redeeming thing about the movie, IMO. The Gungan Battledroid battle is okay, but when you look at it compared to the Geonosis battle of any number of the ROTS battles, it just doesn't stack up. It's too "Clean."

I enjoyed AOTC immensely when it first came out and still watch it. Just not with as much fervor as I used to. For me, I use it more for a tool to plan out my dioramas.

I enjoy ROTS greatly and this is the one I keep coming back to.

Rots did leave questions yes, but since we know the rest of the story for the most part with the OT I'm willing to forgive it.

I still love the OT, mostly ANH, then ESB. Jedi is ok, but it would be ranked 5th of the 6 for me.

In order of my favorites on down:
ROTS
ANH
AOTC
ESB
ROTJ
TPM

I'm certainly in the "A" camp.

The toys are fantastic and I've got to say is what has been keeping me interested. If the 2 tv shows blow, then I think SW is going to go back to the dark times as it did soon after Jedi came out in theaters.

Darth Cruel
05-01-2007, 11:15 PM
"D" - None of the above.

Rocketboy
05-02-2007, 01:28 AM
A Camp - I loved the PT when they came out.
Now I just like them.

I still can't connect the two trilogies as one big saga. I still see them as two different trilogies.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Not to turn this into an all-out fight, but it is a discussion about the PT vs. the OT . . .

They don't even support each other well. Midichlorians are a major plot point in TPM, then only brought up as an afterthought in ROTS. Sifo-Dyas is the catalyst behind the creation of the clone army, but his actual identity is never so much as hinted at later on.

I'm thinking that midichlorians were more or less dropped since Lucas knew fans didn't like them. Same reason why he dropped Jar Jar and the opposite of why he added Jango and Boba and the Wookiees. But, what purpose could the midichlorians have served in any of the other films, anyway? Anakin falling down, scraping his knee, and saying, "ow, my midichlorians!"? The fact that the Force has a basis in the physical realm was already shown in the OT anyway, since Vader's children were Force-sensitive.

For Sifo-Dyas, I think the answer to that one (going off what was shown in the films) was that the creation of the army was just plain mysterious. Obviously, in ROTS, it is shown that Palpatine had been using the clones for his own advantage and that he was behind their creation (the EU story is a little but more complicated, but I don't think it really needed a place in ROTS). Obi-Wan's line about Palpatine being behind the war and everything else pretty much summed it up, I think.

Jar Jar was manufactured specifically to cater to Lucas's toddler son, Jett. As such, Jar Jar is not only a waste of a character, but empirically annoying. Threepio had a point and a function to serve (in the OT). Jar Jar was made specifically to be the jester and he was NOT funny by any stretch.
For me, they could just edit out the clips where Jar Jar steps in crap and gets farted on, and I'd be fine with him. I think Jar Jar does have some redeeming qualities - he helped Queen Amidala by informing her of the army and later gave the Chancellor supreme powers, both of which are fairly important.

A Camp - I loved the PT when they came out.
Now I just like them.

I still can't connect the two trilogies as one big saga. I still see them as two different trilogies.

Have you watched them all in a row? I think that helps a bit.

bigbarada
05-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm thinking that midichlorians were more or less dropped since Lucas knew fans didn't like them. Same reason why he dropped Jar Jar and the opposite of why he added Jango and Boba and the Wookiees. But, what purpose could the midichlorians have served in any of the other films, anyway? Anakin falling down, scraping his knee, and saying, "ow, my midichlorians!"? The fact that the Force has a basis in the physical realm was already shown in the OT anyway, since Vader's children were Force-sensitive.

Well that's the problem, I would have hoped that Lucas would have had a plan for how these things were to tie into the entire saga without screwing up the OT. But he obviously didn't, thus they should have just been left out of Ep1 altogether.

For Sifo-Dyas, I think the answer to that one (going off what was shown in the films) was that the creation of the army was just plain mysterious. Obviously, in ROTS, it is shown that Palpatine had been using the clones for his own advantage and that he was behind their creation (the EU story is a little but more complicated, but I don't think it really needed a place in ROTS). Obi-Wan's line about Palpatine being behind the war and everything else pretty much summed it up, I think.

I would buy that IF Obi-Wan and the Jedi council didn't act like they knew who Sifo-Dyas was in Ep2. If they have simply said "THere is no record of any Jedi named Sifo-Dyas" or something like that, then it would have been simply understood as Darth Sidious working behind the scenes. However, for Obi-Wan, Mace and Yoda to act like they actually knew a Sifo-Dyas.... well, that just demands some kind of explaination otherwise it's just bad writing.

darko666
05-02-2007, 08:49 PM
i guess i would be in Camp A. i just recently watched the PT and while not being excited about them like i was when they first came out (just happy there were new SW movies), but more of just sitting back and viewing them for what they are. I still loathe AOTC, and have come to hate ROTS a little more, but have grown to appreciate TPM. Despite Jar Jar and young Anakin (the weak links in the movie), i do enjoy the podrace, Qui-Gon, and of course Darth Maul. None of the lightsaber duels in the other PT films even come close to the fight between Maul, Obi and Qui-Gon. AOTC only has the end battle, which i still enjoy, and ROTS has, well...that alien chick walking up the stairs with the see through white dress.

After reading what they could have been in an old issue of Cinnescape when the Special Editions were coming out, i will never appreciate or come to love the PT.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Well that's the problem, I would have hoped that Lucas would have had a plan for how these things were to tie into the entire saga without screwing up the OT. But he obviously didn't, thus they should have just been left out of Ep1 altogether.I don't see how Midichlorians ruin the OT. They weren't just an afterthought in ROTS. They were used to suggest that Anakin may have been created by Palpatine or his master.

I would buy that IF Obi-Wan and the Jedi council didn't act like they knew who Sifo-Dyas was in Ep2. If they have simply said "THere is no record of any Jedi named Sifo-Dyas" or something like that, then it would have been simply understood as Darth Sidious working behind the scenes. However, for Obi-Wan, Mace and Yoda to act like they actually knew a Sifo-Dyas.... well, that just demands some kind of explaination otherwise it's just bad writing.The fact that Sifo-Dyas died around the same time the army was ordered suggests that he was being used by someone else. Either someone posed as Sifo-Dyas, or Sifo-Dyas placed the order and was then killed and the cloning operation was covered up. Either way, Palpatine is behind it all.

Turambar
05-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I guess over time I dont care about the arguments, either. You can argue this and that over each trilogy, but it remains that one is considered a "classic" and one is not.
Besides that, everyone will feel differently about them, and the discussions wont change anyone's opinion. I tried very hard to enjoy the prequels. I watched them repeatedly. However, I finally had to concede that they just did not appeal to me. They never captured that "starwarsy" feel of the originals (insert your own meaning of "starwarsy"). I was so disenchanted after watching episodes 1 and 2 about a million times each that I never bothered to watch the 3rd one.
In the end, I don't have any prequel movies or merchandise. I don't even have copies of the special edition of the trilogy. I am happy watching my bootleg copies and collecting the trilogy star wars stuff that mattered to me. . . and on the humorous side, it saves me a crapload of money, hehe.

darthvyn
05-03-2007, 03:03 PM
maybe we should get rid of the "jedi", "sith" and "bounty hunter" groups and just have "prequel lovers" and "prequel haters" groups instead. that way you know who you can talk to.

Qui-Long Gone
05-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Can you add "prequel sometimes-lovers/haters?" I can't be a bonafide lover because there were so many things wrong with the prequels (many of the effects and several characters) but I can't be a bonafide hater because there were some things right (many of the effects and a few characters) with the prequels....:rolleyes:

2-1B
05-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm in Camp A:

I like TPM
I love AOTC
I orgasm over ROTS

I don't watch SW movies that often, though...last summer I watched ROTS on HBO all the time but in the past year I haven't watched much SW.

UKWildcat
05-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Camp A for me too.

I'd rank them in the order they were released as well:

TPM - Least favorite. Was okay, mediocre.
AOTC - Getting better... I liked it, much more than TPM.
ROTS - Favorite. Loved it!

stillakid
05-04-2007, 10:22 AM
I orgasm over ROTS

Does it happen for the full two hours or just during key moments? Or when it's over with credits rolling?

...last summer I watched ROTS on HBO all the time.

HBO runs other movies for that stuff, usually late at night though.

Slicker
05-04-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm down with A as well.

Take out that pice of carp AOTC and I'm good.

Snowtrooper
05-05-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm in camp A. I liked the prequels pretty much, even with the faults and inconsistencies mentioned above. I rank them as follows:

1. ROTS-I liked it alot when it came out and still do. I rank it above ROTJ but behind ESB and ANH

2. AOTC-I like this one alot when it first came out, but my interest in it has declined some over the years. Not really sure why since it has some great battle scenes. Some of it probably has to do with the bad acting between Portman and Christensen.

3. TPM-I thought this one was good when it came out. My interest level has stayed about the same on this one.

This is probably pointing out the obvious, but generally you are a prequel lover if you are able to forgive the mistakes and inconsistencies. I guess thats what I am.

2-1B
05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Does it happen for the full two hours or just during key moments? Or when it's over with credits rolling?

Just during the scenes where H-Christ has his shirt off and the scenes where E McG is sweaty.

And also any scene shot while Rick McCallum was smoking on set / off camera.

seanmcfripp
05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Just during the scenes where H-Christ has his shirt off and the scenes where E McG is sweaty.

H-Christ? lol lol lol Too, too funny. I guess that means April 19th is H-Chistmas. I didn't get any presents though.

2-1B
05-08-2007, 09:16 PM
H-Christ? lol lol lol Too, too funny. I guess that means April 19th is H-Chistmas. I didn't get any presents though.

That's why I didn't post at all on 4-19, I was too busy with my marathon DVD viewing of Life as a House, Shattered Glass, Virgin Suicides, In the Mouth of Madness, AOTC, ROTS, ROTJ (especially), and clips of Higher Ground on Youtube. :love:

If you thought 'den was mouthy in AOTC, you should see him in Higher Ground...stillakid would have loved that show ! lol

El Chuxter
05-11-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm sorta in Camp A.

TPM was flawed. I loved it at first. Then I went a few years without seeing it, and it wasn't very good when I re-watched it. I went another year or two, and now I see it as a fun, albeit mediocre, movie.

AOTC I also loved at first. But it holds up rather poorly. The romance is forced, and the final battle is downright laughable, with Jedi running around slinging their sabers like they're in the Special Olympics.

ROTS sucked hard the first time I saw it. It was better the second time, and I no longer think it's unwatchable. But it is far from a great movie, forcing all of the prequel story into one rushed 2-hour film that's almost halfway filled with spaceship crashes and cyborg Jedi-killers that really add nothing to the story. So, in other words, the entire six hours of story is compressed into one single hour. It doesn't work. And, since the quality of the prequels overall depended on ROTS (since, after all, it does include all the story), it reflects even more poorly on ROTS.

With the stupid Legacy carp and the cancellation of the Darth Plagueis novel, I've given up on most SW books. However, I still like to think of Star Wars as such:

Episodes IV-VI: Three excellent movies

Episodes VII-IX: Three excellent novels by Timothy Zahn, with no films

Episodes I-III: Three excellent novels, by Terry Brooks, RA Salvatore, and Matthew Stover. These were adapted into three mediocre films by George Lucas. (Yeah, I know it's backwards, but if three mediocre movies are adapted into excellent novels, it reflects even more poorly on the crazy old man in San Francisco.)

Phantom-like Menace
05-11-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm A.

While I still consider the prequels to be largely disappointments, I can't say they are complete crap. Qui-Gon Jinn was a great character, possibly my favorite of the whole saga. And I still feel the two trilogies finally overlapped enjoyment wise with RotS. I'm one of those who feel RotS is better than RotJ, so ranking the movies from worst to best: AotC, TPM, RotJ, RotS, ANH, ESB.

AotC and TPM switched places for me. After watching AotC for the first time, I decided it was better than TPM, but I eventually had to allow that I was giving AotC too much credit for not having so much Jar-jar and giving TPM too little credit because it should have been sub-subtitled "The Jar-Jar Movie." Honestly, if it hadn't been for that cancerous, ridiculous infestation tainting every second of screen time he was in, TPM could have had a shot at being better than RotJ since I largely consider RotJ to be the scenes between Luke, Vader, and Palpatine with a bunch of other crap (though Biker Scouts and speeder bikes are awesome). Unfortunately for every bad thing George Lucas got rid of or reduced screentime for in AotC, there was a good thing he got rid of or reduced screentime for in AotC.

Devo
05-13-2007, 12:34 PM
A/B

They have one or two good characters, a little bit of good music, occasional good moments, good swordplay and thats it. No substance, at least none that was executed well. Everything was forced in a certain direction because it had to be without any care taken to making the journey believable. Cartoony in every sense of the word. I always laugh when we hear that 'Star Wars will continue, but in animated form'...erm...so not unlike the prequels then. And then of course theres the point that the prequels fail to address much of what is alluded to by Obi-wan in ANH such as the whole Owen Lars/anakin angle. Much of this stuff is left offscreen for us to postulate over. Obviously I was misguided in thinking that this is what the prequels were supposed to tell us about but no, they were about the advancement of CGI in modern moviemaking. Silly me.

joe-da
05-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I loved the prequels when I first saw them - I still love them now!

Luuuuuuke
05-30-2007, 09:44 PM
I loved the action figures that the prequels begat. But I think the prequels largely are bad movies with a few brilliant flourishes.