PDA

View Full Version : Small speeders.

Jargo
05-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Hasbro keeps going on and on about how much it costs to make vehicles. Then they release em and they're quite pricey. They blamed cost for the stupidness of the sith infiltrator scale. so why not just make more small speeders?
The entire saga is littered with the things literally buxxing through the air or whizzing over land. If cost is an issue for consumers and hasbro alike it seems to me that keeping a vehicle line going would neccessitate some sort of middle ground.
I could list a huge amount of the speeders here but I won't unless asked. but let's just take one as an example. The V-35 landspedeer. Starting with AOTC we have two in Mos Espa. as Padmes royal yacht arrives at the spavceort there's a blue one driving off outside the docking bay. then as they take a rickshaw drive to Watto's junkshop there's an orange drives past them. Jump to ANH and we have one in the Lars family garage in black. then in Mos Eisley the most famous one in white black and yellow. just as Luke is pulling up to the cantina.
Four variants. That's four paint apps on the same vehicle. four possible releases for a small speeder. within a nice price point for consumers. and being fairly small and re-usable as a mold presumably quite attractive as a prospect for a vehicle to hasbro. Yet it's nowhere to be seen. why is that?

Luke's landspeeder the XP-34 makes an appearance in Mos Espa in TPM painted green. another possible re-use of a speeder mold. an iconic vehicle too. the saga mold was released once and only briefly. it could do with a couple of tweeks to make getting figures in easier and to give it more ground clearance so it looks more like its floating but it's a fine mold. release it once with an improved colour scheme that's more movie accurate than the saga release, then release it again in green. The mold exists. it really only needs new paint apps. and possibly the missing engine cowling as an added bonus.

The T-16 skyhopper. Not been seen since POTF. there's Luke's, There's one seen whizzing along in the end celebrations of ROTJ, and we know Biggs had one. although not seen. It's a vehicle that has fun potential. perhaps more than the pod racers. it has a cannon with firing missile, it's two craft in one. different markings on the wings tail and fuselage and variation in the plastic colour can give three distinct variants.

The S-Flare swoop first released for SOTE. it needs a new sculpt so it actually looks like the vehicle but you've got one in the ANH SE scaring the Ronto. Several are seen in TPM as the heroes enter Mos Espa. we know Dengar rode one as did Han though that's EU. but EU is sometimes cool as we've seen in the comic packs. One mold and several valid reasons to release it with different paint apps.

which is just a start. all of these could be released within the $20 dollar bracket. yes the initial outlay on the vehicles is big but these speeder vehicles are so many throughout the saga and not everyone wants to play clone wars. some people just want adventures nd vehicles that could be used by any character. surely with any toys the main aim is to let the imagination fly free? as a toy company surely hasbro hasn't completely lost sight of that?

If the aim of the starfighter line is to bring smaller vehicles to the consumer and the starfighter line isn't just about starfighters at all as seems to be the case than I say let's have some small speeders in there too. true value for money easily affordable fun vehicles. Airspeeders, landspeeders and speeder bikes. expand the universe in a different way. let's not get stuck in this clown wars rut any longer. it's reached saturation point and some of us want to get back to basics and the greater star wars galaxy.

jedi master sal
05-02-2007, 11:42 AM
It's pretty simple to answer this.

They are not Marquee or showcased ships.

They make small or barely background appearances. The average kid or casual collector won't recognize them so there is a much smaller market for any of these.

Personally I agree the Sith Infiltrator should have been MUCH bigger, but even though that ship was showcased to a point in TPM, it's still barely there. We don't see it in combat. So this would have less or little appeal to the kid market that Hasbro is trying to sell these to. Having that ship at the right or close to the scale would cost at least $60. That's not a price point for parent and their kids. So again that would leave it to we collectors to buy them up. While I say I would, I really am not sure now. And we've seen countless times by now of fellow collectors openly claiming to wait for something to go on sale. So instead of Hasbro losing face with a big ship, they make it small and affordable for everyone. Now that ship becomes a lot more appealing to parents and even kids who might have only had a passing fancy or knowledge to the ship would get it.

So, Mr. DP. I don't mean to be a downer here, I'm just trying to be realistic.
I'm certainly not defending Hasbro, just trying to deduce their reasoning.

bigbarada
05-02-2007, 01:23 PM
I think i would be a good idea for the same reason that the mini-rigs were a good idea in the vintage days. Kids want some kind of accessories for their figures that look cool and won't send their parents into a fit when they see the price tag. Plus, collectors seem to want a toy of every little thing that appeared in the movies, so it would work well on both fronts.

I vote :yes: just start with a movie-accurate ROTJ speeder bike and I'll be happy.

jedi master sal
05-02-2007, 01:48 PM
just start with a movie-accurate ROTJ speeder bike and I'll be happy.

Now I can certainly get behind that one.

The Lars speeder would be nice to have, again though it's hardly noctieable.

I'd much prefer the Rickshaw w/droid. At least two main characters rode in it. And Anakin even spoke to the droid pulling it, who itself had a line in the movie.

Well if they make them, I suppose I'll buy some of them, but I won't lose sleep over them if they are never made.

Jargo
05-02-2007, 09:21 PM
ok, if we're talking speaking characters vehicles, where's Dooku's solar sailer, Bail's airspeeder, Neimoidian shuttle, rebel hangar transport, Naboo gondola, Naboo airbus, Coruscant airbus and taxi, twin pod cloud car, Yoda's shuttles, geonosis execution cart.

All I'm saying is if if cost is a huge issue on larger vehicles and therefore it means there's less of them produced, make the smaller vehicles so there's something for the figures to fit or in. the speeders are the smallest vehicles there are, most of them could be used by any character allowing for a greater kid friendly array of toys. they take up less space, they cost less to purchase and they have great designs. And like I said there's so many of them across the whole saga an assortment should please people as they can pick up the ones that fit their prefered area of the galaxy or mix and match.

Hasbro has pretty much nixed the idea of large vehicles unless it's a rare occurance where it becomes an exclusive or it's a re-release of a vehicle already released several times before. which makes it cheaper to do.

and if you take something like the twin pod cloud car. producing a new mold for that means that they can release it once. then release it again in the blue colouring of the original artwork. which was changed to red for bluescreening purposes. then they have the mold and can release it again as a refresh sometime.

whereas something like the AT-TE is a big vehicle and will be costly to produce and then costly to purchase and wil likely not see great production numbers and turn out to be a commercial dog for hasbro.

small speeders are easier to handle and with different colour schemes can be refreshed many times. as with the Jedi starfighter from ROTS. war vehicles are pretty restrictive. air and land speeders could belong anywhere in a kids imaginary universe.

Even Boba Fett played with a flash speeder as a kid on Kamino....

JediTricks
05-03-2007, 03:04 PM
I think Hasbro needs to do vehicles at $10 and $15 pricepoints again, basically speederbikes/swoops at the lower pricepoint and airspeeders at the $15 pricepoint. I think Hasbro needs to get affordable rides into casual consumers hands again, these figures need something to do besides stand there and point weapons at each other. Our play patterns are pretty rigid right now for SW, all based on the movies, but as the movies get further away, the brand has to shift to being a real "toy" again, and that means Dexter Jettster is now a Jedi riding Dooku's Speederbike to a kid with an imagination, or something like that where there's a freedom to do what you want with the toys.

We need a rerelease of Anakin's Ep 2 Lars Swoop bike, it's a great-looking piece and it got such a miserable, limited release the first time. We could use the Dooku speeder again, it's kinda boring though and the gimmick button is worthless, so I'd suggest adding a stand or a better feature, and more exciting paint. We could probably use the BARC speeder again, but the current design is pretty soft in the sculpt and boring, it could use some tightening up. All 3 of these need to lose those footpegs, the pegholes on the figures don't always work with them so they're counterintuitive. I've become a firm believer in the seatbelts though, especially if they're totally removable, that'd be great, they could pop on both sides instead of just 1. We need a new speederbike too, that pretty much is a given by now, one with a friggin' clear, positionable stand.

As for speeders, we need every landspeeder and airspeeder that looks cool that they can throw our way, the key is to make them actually fit a large multitude of figures. We need a better Flash Speeder (revamp the seating situation, dump that back seat since it doesn't work, add more detail and supercharge the paint), a Gian speeder, Coruscant airspeeders, Tatooine landspeeders - the toys have to have a couple features like opening detail, opening doors, sounds and lights probably would go a long way here as well. Heck, they never did the Clone Swamp Speeder from ROTS and it's a clone-oriented vehicle!

jedi master sal
05-03-2007, 04:02 PM
ok, if we're talking speaking characters vehicles, where's Dooku's solar sailer, Bail's airspeeder, Neimoidian shuttle, rebel hangar transport, Naboo gondola, Naboo airbus, Coruscant airbus and taxi, twin pod cloud car, Yoda's shuttles, geonosis execution cart.

Ah, I'm liking most of those!

Yes, Hasbro, please make these ones!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Yes, I would love to see more, smaller vehicles. Pack in a pilot figure if need be.

figrin bran
05-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Great ideas by every one!

You would think that given the vast number of clone troopers they've released, there would be more affordable vehicles for them.

jedi master sal
05-04-2007, 07:49 AM
I agree about teh fact that we've had so many clones and hardly any vehicles for them to interact with. But I don't really recall small vehicles for them. If hasbor just came out with a decent scaled AT-TE, I think most of us would first pick our jaws up off the floor, then go out and buy it. (I'd buy 3 at least if done right or close to it)

But there really isn't a small vehicle tht hasn't been done for clones that I can think of.

Now for battle droids, there is the battle droid carrier. It's seen in TPM. Habsor could make it hold anywhere from 6 to 8 oto 10 battle droids. Include one pilot droid and this is a decent sale. Rerelease the plain battle droid during this (EpI version) and I think sales would spike for both the vehicle and that figure. Hasbro could even do a repaint and make the ship reddish for Geonosis. Doesn't matter that it wasn't seen. The rerelease the red battle droid as well.

Jargo
05-04-2007, 09:55 AM
The swamp speeder is a very cool vehicle. I actually thought we'd see that before we saw the ARC-170 or V-wing.

one of the things i kinda thought when creating this thread is how awkward it is to actually hold and play with a lot of vehicles. larger ones. speeders fit in the hand better and are easier to 'fly' around. I'm pretty sure that was one of the considerations when creating the original molds of the x-wing and tie fighter back in the 1970's. and also one of the reasons for the small scale of the action figures. kid friendly scale.

and yes, larger vehicles are cool and nice to have. but they kind of just sit there because they're a little unweildly in smaller hands.

Even the desert skiff needs a re-release. though that needs some alterations. like losing the silly gangplank feature and just having one that's solid and slides out instead. removig the legs and giving it a clear stand instead. making the steering controls work as steering controls like they should. getting rid of the catapulting panel which doesn't work. casting it in a browner plastic and giving it better paint apps. Let people use their imaginations with these toys. the collapsing side rails is enough of a feature. actual movie based functionality rather than ancient badly concieved and executed 'play' gimmicks works better.

The imperial speeder bike. yes to a new sculpt. a clear 'floating action' stand is a must. better feet peddles that a figures feet can reach. improved rear steering vanes that don't pop off and stay alligned. better handlebars and a removal of the T bar on the seat. sculpt the fuselage in one piece, finer detailing on the engine and intake and steering vane bars. Then, if an exploding action was required, a second version already sculpted mangled up and lightsaber slashed would make a decent accessory for a biker scout carded figure. maybe even in an Endor multi-pack. a bunch of parts to scatter on your battleground. No need to compromise an actual vehicle and one so small with a cumbersome action feature.

Actually, I'm going to contradict myself and compile a list. because I have nothing better to do right now. And because contradicting myself is becoming a habit. Should I make it pictorial?

EDIT: I've started gathering pics. even found a couple in TPM I'd forgotten about or never noticed before. i'll do this by movie to break it up and to give the thread room for discussion. not that anyone really pays any attention. it just keep me amused and occupied.

JediTricks
05-05-2007, 03:42 PM
You would think that given the vast number of clone troopers they've released, there would be more affordable vehicles for them.Yeah, I really want my clones to do more, the AT-RT accomodates the ROTS #06 Quick-Draw Clone very well, and the deluxe BARC Speeder exists (it doesn't really fit any figure all that well I think), but I want them to have more going on. I liked the deluxe jetpack trooper (the figure itself could be better, but the pack is cool) and I originally put my Clone Troopers in the ARC-170 before I found the pilot figure, so there are 5 vehicles at their disposal right now counting the new V-wing, but why not do more? The AT-AP was in the movie and hasn't been done yet, the same with the Clone Swamp Speeder, and it's been a while since we had the clone speeder bike, could use that again. Plus there's EU and made-up stuff as well that the clones could be using - synergy between figure and vehicle toys.

Now for battle droids, there is the battle droid carrier. It's seen in TPM. Habsor could make it hold anywhere from 6 to 8 oto 10 battle droids. Include one pilot droid and this is a decent sale. Rerelease the plain battle droid during this (EpI version) and I think sales would spike for both the vehicle and that figure. Hasbro could even do a repaint and make the ship reddish for Geonosis. Doesn't matter that it wasn't seen. The rerelease the red battle droid as well.This is not a bad idea in theory, but they're folded up when they're on the carrier, the carrier is basically a piloted cart holding the MTT racks, so without folding droids it'll be wonky.

The swamp speeder is a very cool vehicle. I actually thought we'd see that before we saw the ARC-170 or V-wing. Reminds me of a couple desk chairs with a fan in between, conceptually that's a little hard to make exciting out of the gate since it barely had any screentime.

one of the things i kinda thought when creating this thread is how awkward it is to actually hold and play with a lot of vehicles. larger ones. speeders fit in the hand better and are easier to 'fly' around. I'm pretty sure that was one of the considerations when creating the original molds of the x-wing and tie fighter back in the 1970's. and also one of the reasons for the small scale of the action figures. kid friendly scale."Wooshability" some folks call it, I'd say that's a fair point too, even the Wookiee Flyer was very wooshable and it's a pretty lame vehicle in the movie (not a bad toy though). Clone Swamp Speeder would be wooshable, AT-PT and AT-AP are the ground version of wooshable, speederbikes, landspeeders, and coruscant airspeeders are all wooshable (I wooshed my Kenner landspeeders to death back in the day, sent them flying off the stairs over and over), and wooshability is also why I want the speeders and bikes to have removable seatbelts so figures stay on/in when the toy is wooshed, but it doesn't affect the look of the toy for display.

Jargo
05-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Reminds me of a couple desk chairs with a fan in between, conceptually that's a little hard to make exciting out of the gate since it barely had any screentime. I'm so glad I wasn't drinking anything reading that or it would've come out of my nose.

I think the attraction of the swamp speeder is that it holds two troopers and has guns on the front. Basically. with a flick of imagination I'd use mine as a remnant of the clone wars and repaint it. give it to some wookiees. or any other aliens that come from a planet with large wet areas like Aquilae. or Naboo.

JediTricks
05-06-2007, 05:06 PM
I think the attraction of the swamp speeder is that it holds two troopers and has guns on the front.Absolutely that's why it's a good candidate to be made too, my point was merely to demonstrate why I didn't think it was a likely candidate to be an early ROTS toy. And I'll be sure to warn you ahead of time when I plan to be funny.

WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD - Contents of post may cause choking and/or nostril-based drink-expulsion.

Jargo
06-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Bump.

so - small speeders. *looks at ceiling nonchalantly and whistles quietly*

I took a great screencap of the senate parking lot speeders just before Anakin steals Senator Greyshades biffo boffo wizard speeder. three disting speeders, in fact I've taken a few screencaps catalogueing the speeders of star wars. most of them are used a few times in differing colour schemes. perfect for making on the spot EU stories up and fitting some background character to a speeder to get figures out that may not get made otherwise. figure and speeder packs. switch em up and double the collectivity. throw a few existing speeders into the mix if it saves money just don't overdo it.
even as exclusives. figure and speeder packs are ideal in size and content to tempt the kid market. but also reel in the collectors.
there's moulds for most of the starfighters now that can be re-used as refresh or EU assigned vehicles. there's barely any chance of seeing large vehicles any time soon so small vehicles would be cool no? more colour schemes and mould re-use. i can think of four colour schemes that are legit for the Coruscant air Taxi. four for the Lars family speeder. a new redesigned and built from scratch Flare S-Swoop is a prime candidate. they're all over star wars in the movies and in the EU.

*cough*

that is all.....

Jargo
06-04-2007, 03:23 PM
oh you want someone to bite? here ya go.... no fooled you. I've already eaten dinner. run along and play nicely now there's a good chap.

Tycho
06-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Bail Organa's speeder and a new figure of him from Order-66 would be most appreciated!

The Lars' family speeder.

The Naboo's Gian Speeder.

The Clone Swamp Speeder.

Aurra Sing's speeder with Sing pack-in.

Even Young Owen with his speeder re-released.

The Rickshaw with droid.

SOTE Jix with Swoop.

SOTE Bigg Gizz with Swoop.

SOTE Spiker with Swoop.

These are just a handful that are NOT risky choices but would sell to kids and collectors I'd think.