PDA

View Full Version : I want a new Bespin Guard...and...

TheDarthVader
05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
I want a newly sculpted Bespin guard! And when you do the guard, Hasbro, you are going to put in two variants the same way you treated the Endor Rebel Soldier. Give us a white AND black guard please. The POTJ guard is not bad, but this figure definitely needs an update. PLEASE! Give him a baton, a blaster pistol, a removeable hat, and a functional holster please. PLEASE!

decadentdave
05-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Dude, where's my Twin Pod Cloud Car?

TheDarthVader
05-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Now, now...Hasbro already answered a question about the cloud car. I would love to have one, but they basically "laughed" and said that there were MANY other vehicles to get to first. So...I want a nice bespin guard in BOTH variations. Let us tell them about that!

bigbarada
05-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Now, now...Hasbro already answered a question about the cloud car. I would love to have one, but they basically "laughed" and said that there were MANY other vehicles to get to first. So...I want a nice bespin guard in BOTH variations. Let us tell them about that!

That'd be great to finally get both Bespin Guards off of the vintage remake list. I'd buy them.

Kidhuman
05-03-2007, 10:28 PM
I agree, I would love a new Bespin Guard. I have wanted the Black version for so long its not even funny anymore. Who knows, maybe this year they will put him in a joke at SDCC. I would buy multiples of them.

jedi master sal
05-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I don't know that I'd buy a lot of the Bespin guard. Maybe two black and four to six white. That's it.
They really didn't populate the movie that much and since I tend to build armies based on how many were seen in the movies, I wouldn't have to get many of them. (Considering I have the Asian one as well-I think 4 of him.)

I'd still like to see the figure done though.

And yes I DO want a cloud car!!! I'd buy three of those!

JediTricks
05-05-2007, 04:24 PM
I bought several of the POTJ figure, the open shirt isn't entirely movie-accurate but I think they did a top-notch job with the figure, and they could just reissue it with a few head and ethnicity variations. They should reissue this figure next time with the arms removable and it can come with 2 removable "vests" - one that slips over and stays closed, and a second that is open like the original.

Gothiczartan
06-01-2007, 10:48 AM
how about a vintage style bespin guard black male version

and another vintage style bespin gaurd white male version

Tycho
06-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Isn't the POTJ Bespin Guard we have Asian?

Then a white and a black dude (especially since the black dude was made in 1982 or so once before) would be a priority.

The white guy should have a mustache like the 1980 figure, too.

Gothiczartan
06-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Isn't the POTJ Bespin Guard we have Asian?

Then a white and a black dude (especially since the black dude was made in 1982 or so once before) would be a priority.

The white guy should have a mustache like the 1980 figure, too.

they can make bespin guard in a vintage style SW figure line one for white male and one for black male just like those old SW original figures.

Bacta Beast
06-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Twin Pod Clod Car!!!Twin Pod Clod Car!!!Twin Pod Clod Car!!!Twin Pod Clod Car!!!Twin Pod Clod Car!!!Twin Pod Clod Car!!!Twin Pod Clod Car!!!Twin Pod Clod Car!!!
Hey Hasbro! Remember this?!!
http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t31/Sentinel73/Ebay/?action=view&current=cloudcartop.jpg
Do it! Now! Make it happen!!

I think we should start a pettition!
And Hasbro needs to be slapped for not taking it seriously!! "Yeah here's yer' pilot, oh you want the ship also?" "Hehh,heh you collectors sure are a funny lot!" "Oh thanks for the money by the way!"

Oh, and I would definately buy another Bespin guard if he was a new sculpt and not stuck in an action stance.

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 03:07 AM
Yes, they remember it, they remember that they don't have the Kenner tooling, they remember that the actual toy is very soft detail and probably will produce an inferior version if molds are pulled from the production model, they remember that it's hollow and boring, and they remember that the canopy hinges are nearly worthless crap. :p Turns out they also remember that not many people actually want it right now and they remember their data telling them folks won't spend $20 on a vehicle in the films for a couple moments that doesn't do much of anything.

Never the less, now that they're doing stuff like the AT-AP and Grievous Starfighter, I suspect we'll see the Twin Pod Clown Car soon enough.

Bacta Beast
06-04-2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah, the undersized Sith Infiltrator was a much better idea....bull!!

I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants a cloud car, and it's ridiculous that Hasbro has produced the pilot and not the ship!! It's almost as ridiculous as giving us ship without suitable pilots!! Which they have doe on numerous occassions.

Kenner tooling my butt.

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah, the undersized Sith Infiltrator was a much better idea....bull!!No, it was a bad idea, but fans were clamoring for a Sith Infiltrator anyway. There's just a few collectors making constant noise for the Cloud Car. If you want a Cloud Car, you're going to have to convince Hasbro and that's really hard when there isn't a huge demand for it.

Bacta Beast
06-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Not in my area!! Infiltrators are setting on the shelves while the V-Wings never last a day. If collectors are clamoring for them, I'll send some their way.
I'll bet my last paycheck that a long overdue Cloud Car, done in the right numbers, would sell better then that crappy Sith Infiltrator. I've wanted a Sith Infiltrator since Phantom Menace just like everyone else, but I still haven't bit on this crap pile and I won't unless I see it on clearance for $5 bucks. Which it probably will be. Keep in mind also that most collectors are only interested in one Infiltrator while Cloud Car would be bought in multiples. I would buy at least 2 myself.

Bacta Beast
06-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Yes, they remember it, they remember that they don't have the Kenner tooling, they remember that the actual toy is very soft detail and probably will produce an inferior version if molds are pulled from the production model, they remember that it's hollow and boring, and they remember that the canopy hinges are nearly worthless crap. :p Turns out they also remember that not many people actually want it right now and they remember their data telling them folks won't spend $20 on a vehicle in the films for a couple moments that doesn't do much of anything.

Never the less, now that they're doing stuff like the AT-AP and Grievous Starfighter, I suspect we'll see the Twin Pod Clown Car soon enough.

Hasbro makes decisions about what they're going to release without our opinion all the time. How many people asked for the Cruisemissle Trooper? How many fans were really clamoring for an Endor AT-AT? Was everyone complaining that they hadn't seen a Kit Fisto starfighter? We don't necessarily need to make noise for Hasbro to decide to make this. It should be a natural part of remake the vintage line. From a business stand point they should have released it (the cloud car)when the pilots were out.
And It wasn't boring, that's your opinion. I thought it was cool!

Folks won't spend $20 on a vehicle that's only in films for a couple seconds? Riiiiiiight.... that's why the V-Wing is a hit. You sound like Adam at Galactichunter. Your opinion is right because it your opinion.
Why waste your time attacking what another fan says about what they want Hasbro to make, especially when it should have been made already? If there's something you want them to make that they haven't made yet, I'd probably agree with you.

JediTricks
06-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Not in my area!! Infiltrators are setting on the shelves while the V-Wings never last a day. If collectors are clamoring for them, I'll send some their way.
I'll bet my last paycheck that a long overdue Cloud Car, done in the right numbers, would sell better then that crappy Sith Infiltrator. I've wanted a Sith Infiltrator since Phantom Menace just like everyone else, but I still haven't bit on this crap pile and I won't unless I see it on clearance for $5 bucks. Which it probably will be. Keep in mind also that most collectors are only interested in one Infiltrator while Cloud Car would be bought in multiples. I would buy at least 2 myself.I said people were clamoring for Hasbro to make a Sith Infiltrator, not for Hasbro to make a $20 minirig. :p Also, V-wings are not shipping in as many cases as Sith Infiltrators, that does have something to do with it.

I think you'll have to bet a lot more than your paycheck that it'll sell well, Hasbro might be willing to do one if you fork over a couple hundred grand to prove you can keep them from losing money in the development stage.

I absolutely don't see many collectors buying 2 of the Cloud Car though, it's not a battle vehicle (yes, it has 2 small cannons, but you know what I mean), it's not a military vehicle, it's barely in the film, it doesn't ferry anybody good inside, even if Hasbro does release this thing and it sells, I just don't believe we'll see folks buy multiples of it.

I wanted the Cloud Car enough to track down the vintage one, and I almost NEVER do that, you can count the number of vintage items I own on 1 hand - Speederbike, 3PO, Scout Trooper, Cloud Car with 2 vintage pilots (the pilots were part of the deal so I count it as 1). And you know what? There's no demand for that vintage version, it stills sells for $20 on ebay in fine condition and is pieced out for under $10.

Look, I'm not arguing that they shouldn't make one, they should, I'm just trying to point out that if we don't tighten up our arguments in favor of this thing, we're never going to gain ground in the matter.

Hasbro makes decisions about what they're going to release without our opinion all the time. How many people asked for the Cruisemissle Trooper? Yeah, way to choose an apt, recent example there. :p Cruisemissile Trooper was in part meant to bolster the $10 boxed vehicle assortment that was just a Biker Scout Speederbike at the time, it was a small risk really and at a time when there wasn't as much competition.

How many fans were really clamoring for an Endor AT-AT?A fair number actually, and repaints are NOWHERE near the risks of new molds, that's just not an argument that's ever going to fly with Hasbro. Now, if you had said "who was asking for a T-16?" that'd be one, but again, we're not exactly pointing to RECENT events with that example, now are we?

Was everyone complaining that they hadn't seen a Kit Fisto starfighter?Again, a repaint is just not the same, and those stupid Jedi Starfighter repaints were selling very well for Hasbro when they made this questionable decision - personally, I don't understand the appeal of the rainbow of Jedi Starfighters, my only guess is they're from recent movies.

We don't necessarily need to make noise for Hasbro to decide to make this. It should be a natural part of remake the vintage line. From a business stand point they should have released it (the cloud car)when the pilots were out. By that argument, we need a 9 minirigs, a really awful Star Destroyer thing that straps to our forearms, the Imperial Troop Transport, the ESB Rebel Transport, and the Ewok Battle Wagon - they're not actively trying to remake everything vintage, that's not a goal for playsets and vehicles, and it's only a rough guideline for the basic figures according to what they said to us back in Sept:

Q: Does the Star Wars team still have interest in seeing every original Kenner vintage figure redone in the modern line in some way (be it basic figure or otherwise), such as: Sim Aloo, Warok, Lumat, human B-wing Pilot, Hoth Rebel Technician / Tauntaun wrangler, black Bespin Security Guard, Woof (vintage Klaatu with the sheepskin), etc.? If so, any specific timeline for them? A: It's not a stated goal for the next few years, but it will probably happen eventually more organically... i.e next time we do an Ewok, for instance, it could be an update on original figures. But we haven't just slotted all these into a future line.
And if they had to make the Cloud Car when they offered the pilot figure, they simply wouldn't have made a pilot figure - the costs of tooling a figure are offset by high sales that the vehicles don't enjoy, vehicle costs are a greater risk.

And It wasn't boring, that's your opinion. I thought it was cool!And it's YOUR opinion that it's cool. What's cool about it? What's the "cool factor" appeal of it for the mainstream market?

Folks won't spend $20 on a vehicle that's only in films for a couple seconds? Riiiiiiight.... that's why the V-Wing is a hit.The V-wing is a hit because it's in the MOST RECENT FILM and it's very well designed and executed and has a ton of play features and is a starfighter for clones - the Cloud Car has none of that going for it.

You sound like Adam at Galactichunter. Your opinion is right because it your opinion.No, but my opinion is educated, I've listened to what Hasbro's saying about this matter, it's THEIR opinion that is ultimately "right" because they have the power and make the decisions.

Why waste your time attacking what another fan says about what they want Hasbro to make, especially when it should have been made already? If there's something you want them to make that they haven't made yet, I'd probably agree with you.Because I'm sick of seeing fans say things like "just make a new one tomorrow" without considering the ramifications of everything. When you guys say about the Cloud Car "just make a new one, now now now!", that does nothing to further the cause except waste your energy on a poorly-thought-out argument which will be easy for Hasbro to brush aside.

Bacta Beast
06-05-2007, 02:00 AM
Are you absolutely certain that the Infiltrators and V-Wings aren't shipping in even case ratios? I cannot say so myself, but I would be very surprised to find otherwise.

The cost wouldn't be outrageous for developing a Cloud Car. An existing vintage model could be used to base the sculpt on.

Well, sorry. You're wrong about that. I would definately buy two. And I have friends that would also. Just because it isn't a "fighting" vehicle (it did fire on the Falcon) doesn't mean that there aren't collectors that would be interested in outfitting their dioramas in more than one. It got enough screen time for me. And I know I'm not the only one. How much time does anything in a Star Wars movie need to be on screen before fans long to have one for their collection? None!!:crazed: If we know it was close to the side of the screen and it got cut, we want one. But we're not talking about something that just walked on and off the screen. It was shown for more than a few seconds engaging with one of the more popular vehicles of the series. The amount of screen time the Cloud car received is definately grounds for it's production (or reproduction).

I think what you're saying is that because there is very little demand for the vintage Cloud Car, there wouldn't be enough potential sales to justify a new one. If the Cloud Car were setting on the shelf, in new packaging, with a new paint job, it would sell. Some colectors will buy it just for the new packaging! The trick is to not overdo it. Make enough to be profitable but not so many that fans get sick of seeing it. It would be great as an exclusive!

We shouldn't need to tighten up our arguments. We shouldn't have to argue with Hasbro to get them to make what we want. Anything that got as much screen time as the Cloud Car, was already produced in the vintage line (most of which has been re-made), and has pilots already made for it should be a no brainer. We shouldn't even have to ask. We don't literally have too ask Hasbro for every piece we want. Most fans assumed after the release of the pilots that the ship would follow soon after, but that was 3 years ago. While it may not be the most important item on the list of every collector, there's still a desire for it. A lot of collectors would just like to say "Hey Hasbro, don't forget about this one", "anytime would be good now".
More importantly, we're never going to gain any ground on the matter if Hasbro checks out forums like these and finds fans arguing over the demand for it.

Don't take what I said out of context! It's obvious that I included the other two example I did to illustrate my point over a long peroid of time. Yes I thought about the T-16, and it is a valid point. We don't have to ask Hasbro for every little thing. Somethings they do on their own.
How are you sure there was a large demand for the Endor AT-AT? I didn't see it brought up often. I personally have seen the cloud car brought up more than the AT-AT. Don't take that to mean that I think the Cloud Car is more popular than the AT-AT. It's just that Hasbro already gave us one in the modern line, so there was already that to satisfy the fans. While there has not yet been a modern remake of the Cloud Car.
Sure repaints are less expensive then new sculpts, but it's not like they would be flying blind on the Cloud Car, it's not a very outrageous undertaking.
I'd also like to mention here regarding the risk of the Endor AT-AT. It sure paid off well before Christmas, but the Toys R Us stores that I've been in since then, are setting on large numbers of the after Christmas shipment of both them and the Dagobah X-Wing. Personally it scares me that they'll bottle neck the flow of new product. They're such a high price point and with gas prices being what they are..:ermm:

Now the minirigs weren't in the movie, so there's not a demand for their re-release. If they did, collectors would buy them. We buy everything with the Star Wars name on it. Especially if there's nostalgia attached.
The technology has advanced enough that they could produce a much better Star Destroyer playset that the vintage one. And they should!! However if they re-released the vintage version tomorrow, with a few small changes. I'd buy it. Alot of kids enjoyed that set back in the day.
The Imperial troop transport. Sure, do it, I've been waiting for it. But more fans would rather have the Cloud Car first. It had more screen time. I'd also like to see some new sculpt Hoth Rebel Soldiers made that would fit in it first, as some fans would no doubt want it for that purpose.
The Rebel Blockade runner was more of a carrying case than a ship. I would buy it, again anything with the Star Wars name will sell some units, escpecially if there's nostalgia for it.
The Ewok battle wagon wasn't in the movie so there's not as much demand for it (although I would buy it).

How do you explain what's cool about something. It's like explaining why you like a certain food. And it doesn't matter how I feel about it. I'm just one person, but I'm not the only one who wants this ship.

The V-Wing would be a hit even if it weren't in any film. It was hardly noticable in the movie as it was! It's a hit because it's a cool ship and clones fly them!

No, the customer is right. Hasbro should be listening to us, not us listening to them. The corporate world has got that so screwed up right now! They're passing up sales by not making this ship! And how in the world did they loose the mold?!:confused:

Quote:Because I'm sick of seeing fans say things like "just make a new one tomorrow" without considering the ramifications of everything. When you guys say about the Cloud Car "just make a new one, now now now!", that does nothing to further the cause except waste your energy on a poorly-thought-out argument which will be easy for Hasbro to brush aside.

And that makes it okay too attack what other fans (no just myself) want? I have considered the ramification. It would not hurt at all. If done right.
You don't really think that I thought that I'd get my way by saying that do you. It just friendly banter with my fellows collectors. You had to turn it into a serious discussion. I was just agreeing with something another fan had said.
If you took my "Do it now, make it happen" comment at face value then you don't recognize sarcasm. I was joking. I realize they can't just drop they're plans and makes this thing right now. However it should have been done already, and It should at least be in the planning stages by now. It's something they need to just do and be done with it so they can just move on.

Bacta Beast
06-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Dude, where's my Twin Pod Cloud Car?

I was just echoing that thought.

JediTricks
06-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Are you absolutely certain that the Infiltrators and V-Wings aren't shipping in even case ratios? I cannot say so myself, but I would be very surprised to find otherwise.Yeah, there are several versions of the wave out there, here's a post I made a month and a half ago about it:

It's wave-carryover dingleberries, Sassy's JSF and the white TIE are from vehicles wave 7 (Hasbro's sticking to the TSC asst number on these, I guess because stores were happy with that product line and didn't want to change it), wave 7 has been out for short while through multiple revision iterations with various earlier wave packed vehicles, and Hasbro doesn't think we're done looking for that repainted junk so they're refreshing it in wave 8: http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85196H

Wave 8 already has 5 revisions planned as well, all of them bad - some with even older releases, some with no V-wing or Sith Infiltrator, most of the revisions are 1-per-case on the new vehicles:
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85196H1
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85196H2
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85196H3
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85196H4
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS85196H5
(I'm fairly sure that last one is a mistype and it'll be Vader's JSF, not the TIE which isn't scheduled until a later wave, but maybe revision 5 is a precursor to wave 9)

The cost wouldn't be outrageous for developing a Cloud Car. An existing vintage model could be used to base the sculpt on.You're mistaken about that, creating tooling from an existing product such as this can be nearly as expensive as making new tooling and the end result is going to have LESS detail and design quality than what the mold was pulled from. And that's if they can get the entire toy to remold at all, it's possible it'd still have to be reengineered on the manufacturing inside elements anyway. All that and then there's the chance it may not pass modern safety testing anyway, it could drop and break leaving small pieces and then Hasbro has to go back and redo the tool yet again. Pulling a mold from the original just seems like a very unrealistic idea to me, we've gotten them to make new vehicles lately, so I think that's where we should concentrate our efforts on convincing the fans to support the need for a new mold, and that will convince Hasbro.

Well, sorry. You're wrong about that. I would definately buy two. And I have friends that would also. Just because it isn't a "fighting" vehicle (it did fire on the Falcon) doesn't mean that there aren't collectors that would be interested in outfitting their dioramas in more than one. It got enough screen time for me. And I know I'm not the only one. You would buy 2, maybe a couple folks you know would too, but you're going to have to do a lot more than just make unproven claims to convince Hasbro that it's a likelihood - they believe that 20,000 casual collectors are barely going to buy 1, let alone a second one.

I think what you're saying is that because there is very little demand for the vintage Cloud Car, there wouldn't be enough potential sales to justify a new one. If the Cloud Car were setting on the shelf, in new packaging, with a new paint job, it would sell. Some colectors will buy it just for the new packaging! The trick is to not overdo it. Make enough to be profitable but not so many that fans get sick of seeing it. It would be great as an exclusive!Yes, I'm saying that, I'm saying it because that's what Hasbro says, here's a couple of answers Hasbro's given on the subject:
YodasNews.com: With all the apparent fan support from wishlists and purchases will we ever see a Cloud Car? Also with the McQuarrie concept figures could we see more of the concept vehicles?
Hasbro: The Cloud Car is a low priority for us because there are many excellent newer vehicles we want to get done first. Unfortunately, it suffers because the shape is not very aggressive compared to the rest of the vehicle universe, and the vintage one is one of the least expensive vintage vehicles to acquire meaning that either supply is large of the vintage one or demand just isn't that high compared to everything else. Also, due to cost of tooling, we don't rule out doing concept vehicles at some point, but we are concentrating our efforts on screen vehicles for now.
And:
SWcollector.com: A Cloud Car question seems to come up from time to time, but we never seem to get much commentary back on it. Specifically, the big question that it seems like has not been definitively answered is, "Is the vintage tool still available and usable to re-release this vehicle at some point?"
Hasbro: The vintage tool is not available for the Cloud Car, which has left us with the problem of needing to do a new one if we make the decision to re-release. However, we don't feel it is one of the strongest to redo just yet. We will probably get to it someday. With the new vehicles we have on the slate, I think everyone would agree that holding off on a new Cloud Car is a worthwhile tradeoff. As for the other new vehicles, stay tuned for CIV or San Diego Comic Con for more details...they will be worth the wait.You keep saying "If the Cloud Car were setting on the shelf, in new packaging, with a new paint job, it would sell" but that's not a real argument, that's an assumption, a fantasy statement - you have no real idea if 20,000 units or more would sell at $20. At best you can only speak for a small contingent of consumers and Hasbro is looking for much stronger interest than that - even if you spoke for every single hardcore collector, they still want to see interest from more casual collectors as well.

We shouldn't need to tighten up our arguments. We shouldn't have to argue with Hasbro to get them to make what we want. Since none of us are billionaires who can buy Hasbro and FORCE them to do what we want, yeah we do. The argument in favor of making the Cloud Car has very little adamant support, is sloppy and full of holes, how is that going to convince Hasbro to take a 6-figure risk on a vehicle that all their senses tell them is going to tank anyway?

Anything that got as much screen time as the Cloud Car, was already produced in the vintage line (most of which has been re-made), and has pilots already made for it should be a no brainer. We shouldn't even have to ask. We don't literally have too ask Hasbro for every piece we want. Most fans assumed after the release of the pilots that the ship would follow soon after, but that was 3 years ago. While it may not be the most important item on the list of every collector, there's still a desire for it. A lot of collectors would just like to say "Hey Hasbro, don't forget about this one", "anytime would be good now".
More importantly, we're never going to gain any ground on the matter if Hasbro checks out forums like these and finds fans arguing over the demand for it.That's ridiculous, I keep saying I think they should do it. If anything, the noise you and I have made arguing this point has kept this thread from stalling out, 20 posts and less than 200 reads does not draw Hasbro's eyes - it took HUNDREDS of posts on Yarna D'al Gargan here and throughout the other sites to get them to even consider making a JOKE about it, and Yarna has MORE screentime than the Cloud Car.

You are asking Hasbro to take a big risk on something they don't believe has much marketability without so much as explaining to them in a convincing manner why you think you're right (beyond the ridiculous "it was in the movie, it was in the kenner line" statement which Hasbro's already said doesn't guarantee anything). I'm saying that if you can't get the mass numbers to show their support for the simple statement, then you HAVE to come up with a rationale that will make Hasbro weigh your request even without heavy fan support.

Don't take what I said out of context! It's obvious that I included the other two example I did to illustrate my point over a long peroid of time. Yes I thought about the T-16, and it is a valid point. We don't have to ask Hasbro for every little thing. Somethings they do on their own. I didn't take what you said out of context from the others, you only gave 1 new mold example, the others are repaints which have NO tooling cost risks whatsoever and are not a viable argument.

The T-16 is a solid point to prove they do stuff without us asking, but it's also a VERY solid counterpoint for Hasbro to say "you guys don't buy this background stuff, it's not worth risking the tooling development costs only to see it not sell", so at best we're at a stalemate and at worst by citing the T-16 we're proving the Cloud Car's not a wise choice - neither seems like a particularly good place to be.

How are you sure there was a large demand for the Endor AT-AT? I didn't see it brought up often. I said there was a "fair demand" and yeah, it came up from time to time because fans who didn't get the Hoth AT-AT were using it as an excuse to get Hasbro to re-release it - and it worked, by the way. It's also a repaint, so it's not really supporting your argument since the Cloud Car tooling doesn't exist.

Sure repaints are less expensive then new sculpts, but it's not like they would be flying blind on the Cloud Car, it's not a very outrageous undertaking.Tooling costs are unbelievably expensive, the amount of work that goes into designing them is staggering and all that work costs money, then it has to go through approval process which slows down the process and time is money, then the actual tool-making process is expensive in labor and materials - so even if they know exactly what it SHOULD look like, that's not really a big help, in fact it can actually be a hindrance since it has to be designed to fit the needs of the existing design rather than having the freedom to design it any way they want. You're talking about risking hundreds of thousands of Hasbro's dollars on something they don't believe in, travelling the designs from US to China and back again, not to mention probably hundreds of spent man-hours in design, and you don't find it an "outrageous undertaking"? And all that money and time comes from somewhere in the SW budget, they don't pull it out of thin air, so something is going to have to wait or get shelved for this project as well, how is that anything but an "outrageous undertaking"? That's the sort of thing Hasbro's guys are thinking about every time fans ask for ANYTHING really, so all that has to be weighed against the likelihood that they'll make their money back - if they don't foresee profit, they don't do it, so if we want that thing, it's our job to find a way to convince them otherwise.

I'd also like to mention here regarding the risk of the Endor AT-AT. It sure paid off well before Christmas, but the Toys R Us stores that I've been in since then, are setting on large numbers of the after Christmas shipment of both them and the Dagobah X-Wing. Personally it scares me that they'll bottle neck the flow of new product. They're such a high price point and with gas prices being what they are..:ermm:Again, the risks are mitigated by the fact that it's a repaint so there are no tooling costs to worry about, and there's also the fact that there was a reasonable demand for the AT-AT's rerelease. The design and tooling costs are their chief concern, it's where all the money goes so it's where all the risks are. So even if it sells only half the allotment of Endor AT-ATs, they're not looking at a huge risk or huge losses.

Now the minirigs weren't in the movie, so there's not a demand for their re-release. If they did, collectors would buy them. We buy everything with the Star Wars name on it. Especially if there's nostalgia attached. Tell that to the piles of unsold WM-exclusive Early Bird Kits and the figures they made to go with them. I just don't think fans can make this argument anymore, it's too shortsighted and has been disproven in Hasbro's eyes, so it doesn't strengthen the case for something like the Cloud Car and is easily dismissable.

The technology has advanced enough that they could produce a much better Star Destroyer playset that the vintage one. And they should!! However if they re-released the vintage version tomorrow, with a few small changes. I'd buy it. Alot of kids enjoyed that set back in the day.Uh... wow. I think you'd be hard pressed to prove that a lot enjoyed it back then, and just because you'd buy something doesn't mean 49,999 other SW collectors would.

The Imperial troop transport. Sure, do it, I've been waiting for it. But more fans would rather have the Cloud Car first. It had more screen time.The Imp Troop Transport has no screen time.

The Rebel Blockade runner was more of a carrying case than a ship. I would buy it, again anything with the Star Wars name will sell some units, escpecially if there's nostalgia for it.Tycho's been trying to get Hasbro to do the Rebel Blockade Runner for 12 years now with no success, it's just not gonna happen.

How do you explain what's cool about something. It's like explaining why you like a certain food. And it doesn't matter how I feel about it. I'm just one person, but I'm not the only one who wants this ship.Well, if you're a Hasbro designer, it's specifically your job to do exactly that, you have to explain to management why something is cool and why it'll have broad appeal and what's fun and why it should do it that way.

No, the customer is right. Hasbro should be listening to us, not us listening to them. The corporate world has got that so screwed up right now! They're passing up sales by not making this ship! And how in the world did they loose the mold?!:confused:"The customer is always right" is bunk, the customer is thinking about only his particular needs and desires, the customer would prefer not to spend any money at all and get everything exactly how he wants it, that's just not possible in business. The customer isn't gambling a hundred thousand bucks of his own money to get a vehicle tooled up, that's just not a concern of the customer's. A good company has to balance their needs with the customers' desires and sometimes that means compromise.

When Hasbro bought Kenner, some of the molds they got were too damaged to be used, it's expensive to maintain tooling year after year, and very expensive to repair it. Other molds simply were lost after they fell into disuse, Kenner had other things to think about, these tools are essentially large slabs of metal with a bunch of cavities in them, they don't look special from each other in storage, they mostly all look alike.

And that makes it okay too attack what other fans (no just myself) want?Yeah, it's called a discussion, not everybody agrees in a discussion, that's part of discussion. I'd rather challenge the weak arguments and try to convince those folks to make BETTER arguments that are more likely to convince Hasbro to do what we want. We don't have the raw numbers of people on our side to get this done, just saying "I want this" isn't going to cut it, if we're not realistic about the situation then our cries will fall on deaf ears.

I have considered the ramification. It would not hurt at all. If done right.Really, you don't mind forking over a quarter million if it tanks? You can GUARANTEE sales they want to ensure profitability? You can prove to retailers that they won't just end up with more shelfwarming product? Of course it could hurt, they're not a source of unlimited resources and even if they were they still have to protect their retailers interests and even their customers interests. Saying it won't hurt if done right is narrow-sighted, like I've been saying, that's exactly the kind of fan statement that's easily dismissed by Hasbro.

You don't really think that I thought that I'd get my way by saying that do you. It just friendly banter with my fellows collectors. You had to turn it into a serious discussion. I was just agreeing with something another fan had said.Why shouldn't this be a serious discussion? We're asking Hasbro to make a product we want, if we don't take that seriously why should they take our request seriously?

Ooops.. didn't mean to post twice. I logged me out because it took so long to write my response.Now you've gone and posted about it THREE times! :p No problem, don't worry about it, easy enough for me to take care of.

El Chuxter
06-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Tell that to the piles of unsold WM-exclusive Early Bird Kits and the figures they made to go with them. I just don't think fans can make this argument anymore, it's too shortsighted and has been disproven in Hasbro's eyes, so it doesn't strengthen the case for something like the Cloud Car and is easily dismissable.

Well, truth be told, the Early Bird Kit was a ****ing stupid idea on Hasbro's part. Back in 1977, when there were no figures, it was clever. It got something under the Christmas tree, some evidence of SW toys to come, before Kenner could make them.

Fast forward to 2005. There are dozens of existing figures on the shelves, and about 100 new ones coming out on the same day as the Early Bird Kit. What idiot, aside from those of us who are the sort of hardcore collectors who waste time talking about this BS on message boards ;), is going to drop $30 on a piece of frigging cardboard? Yeah, you send in for figures, but it kind of got lost in the communication.

You see, back in 1977, a parent would see that as the only Star Wars merchandise available and would actually read it. In 2005, a parent would glance at it, see it's too thin to contain any actual figures, see the price, and say, "What the hell is this stupid piece of crap? I'll buy this Anakin with a cool action feature for Junior instead."

It's more similar to Hasbro re-releasing Unleashed figures who were pegwarming less than a year earlier (and can still be found in a lot of stores) at a higher price point and then wondering like morons why they're not selling.

Kidhuman
06-05-2007, 08:09 PM
The Cloud Car I think cann be a big hit. I understand it is going to cost money for the hold and the tooling, but even if they did it for 30 bucks as an exclusive it would sell clear off the shelves. The shuttle did for 60 bucks, so I think this can as well and there werent even that many shuttle pieces that made it out there at Target last year.

JediTricks
06-06-2007, 09:41 PM
The shuttle is in the movie longer, interacts with main characters, had existing tooling and even existing paint masks, and was a great price at $60.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-12-2010, 11:21 AM
No chance that any of these will come true, as they won't be find-able in stores.

royalquard
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I'd like to see some Old Republic figures. Could be a great idea now that the game's getting so much hype.

I also agree on not only different scupts for the Bespin guards and Rebel soldiers but new sets and weapons for them too.

I have clone tanks, rocket launchers, speeders but hardly any of those for my rebel soldiers