PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetically improved SSG.....

Emperor Howdy
02-06-2002, 01:55 AM
....or is it? I have to admit, I don't really like the white as a background color, especially as a first page. I guess I'm just used to SirSteve's cool logo with a black background.....that's how I associate it. I think of darkness......space.....Vader.....but now with the white background I think of kittens.....flowers.....and the Village People........of course, I'm not totally mentally healthy, mind you. I don't know...in the case of a Star Wars website, I think the black has power, while the white seems generic. What if Vader's outfit was white? How lame would THAT be? Nobody would've respected him.........or if someone gave you the choice of a white or black Lamborgini....the black one just LOOKS faster. Black Sabbath or White Lion?......wait a minute....I'm getting off track.

Maybe I'm the only one who notices it. Maybe I'll get used to it. Maybe I need a priest. Where am I? Mom?.........

-end of transmission-

Beast
02-06-2002, 02:01 AM
I agree with you Emporer Howdy. I don't like the new white background on the main page either. I do like the changes otherwise on the front page though. The new banner looks great, and I like being able to check my PM's and the most recent forum's postings directly on the front page.

The search feature is great, as well as the calender and the rest of the additions to the front page. I think Sir Steve should change the background color back to black though. But otherwise, great changes to the front page. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Emperor Howdy
02-06-2002, 02:15 AM
Indeed JarJar, you are correct. I got so wrapped up in my moaning I forgot to compliment the layout itself. It's a great improvement.....but every update usually is. I just want to see the color changed........so COME ON, EVERYBODY!! LET'S TELL 'EM HOW WE FEEL!! REPEAT AFTER ME!! BLACK POWER!!........oh....errr....

GNT
02-06-2002, 02:39 AM
To me it looks "cheap looking".

It needs to be black or even bring back the red on the front page

Beast
02-06-2002, 02:45 AM
Agreed GNT. SSG and CSW both always looked the best to me over the other sites due to the fact they didnt have white front pages, deciding to go differnt for the front pages made those two sites pop. White just looks bad on such a professional looking front page Sir Steve. Black with lightsaber red would look great, or maybe go with Black and lightsaber blue to match the new card colors. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
02-06-2002, 03:12 AM
It'll take some getting use to, but over all its quite nice.
I also noticed the addition of the news forums. Its a good idea, but I think it could be confusing to newer users. Just in case, I posted a link in the video game forum to the video game news forum that will hopefully prevent any possible confussion in the future.

Amanamike
02-06-2002, 05:27 AM
Ill take the old black any day. This white is way too bright on the eyes

IronMan
02-06-2002, 06:44 AM
I quote the always succinct Mr. Horse from Ren and Stimpy when I say: "No sir, I don't like it!" Hell, I'll even quote someone else, whoever the hell it was, who said: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The new FEATURES are great. The layout and colors suck.

Iron

TeeEye7
02-06-2002, 07:25 AM
I was about to say that I liked the ability to log in right away on the home page, so that when I came to the Forums, I'd be ready to go. But I guess not. When I went to reply, I got an error message stating I wasn't logged on. Does this mean I need to log on twice?

Anyway, I too, like the search feature and the calendar (all very handy). The color scheme? Well, let's pretend we're traveling though hyperspace for a while, shall we? It's bright there!

The changes (for the most part) seem to be positive, SirSteve.

DeathStarPlans
02-06-2002, 08:10 AM
Nice layout and awesome features. Now I went with the black background. The white is to bright and boring, but it can make the site look clean though. I'll stick with the black bg. Nice job though SirSteve!

Rollo Tomassi
02-06-2002, 08:36 AM
Change is good. After I get used to the white, you'll switch back. For now, I like it.

Fixer
02-06-2002, 08:38 AM
I definitely liked the black better, most of the other Star Wars sites (Rebelscum, TFN, the official site) have white as their base color. The titlebar and side panels are nicely done, though a bit generic - they don't evoke anything particularly "Star Wars." As for usability, time will tell. New features are always welcome, can't wait to try them.

artdoesart
02-06-2002, 01:42 PM
give it time guys...

as for the site looking "generic" well watch episode 2 and it will all make sense, or till then watch the trailer closely and you will see where this design was dreamed up.

in any case its good to hear suggestions...

2-1B
02-06-2002, 01:56 PM
artdoesart, are you referring to Kamino? Just a guess . . .

I like the white background. :)

SirSteve
02-06-2002, 02:46 PM
Just so you guys know, Art was the graphic designer for the new home page... Keep the comments/suggestions coming!

Beast
02-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
Just so you guys know, Art was the graphic designer for the new home page... Keep the comments/suggestions coming!

Thats cool Sir Steve, thanks for letting us know. And nice job on the home page Artdoesart, I just think that black would look alot better in the background then white. Yakface, Rebelscum, and numerous other sites currently use white as background color and it's really old and tired. Like I said before, Sir Steve and CSW always looked more professional with a more striking colored background. Otherwise, keep up the good work you two, this is still my favorite Star Wars website. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
02-06-2002, 03:18 PM
How about outside the "guts" of the page is a colored background?

Emperor Howdy
02-06-2002, 05:00 PM
I hear ya, and in all the other sections the white isn't so bad. I was referring more to the opening main page. It's almost tradition to have your logo on a black page. You always could go back to the black and purple days! :crazed: .....(which, incidently, was MUCH easier to look up certain things...namely POTF2 items....), but hey....these are different times. It's really not that big of a deal, BUT.....artdoesart.....if you could bring more black back to the main page, your work would not go unnoticed.

artdoesart
02-06-2002, 05:27 PM
the comments are good.... and well we will consider these ideas.. there will be more features and designs to come so i will defintely factor these ideas in.

SithDroid
02-06-2002, 09:53 PM
I liked the black background on the opening page also. What happened to the EP II countdown ticker on the main page. Is it gone or am I just unable to see it if it got moved? Also, no ones photos will load when I click on them. Is that happening to anyone else?

Beast
02-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
I liked the black background on the opening page also. What happened to the EP II countdown ticker on the main page. Is it gone or am I just unable to see it if it got moved? Also, no ones photos will load when I click on them. Is that happening to anyone else?

Hey yeah. Thanks for mentioning somthing Sithdroid, I just went back and looked cause I didn't notice it was missing at first, but you're right. The countdown clock for EII is gone with the new revamp. :( Tell us you'll bring it back Sir Steve...please.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
02-06-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
Also, no ones photos will load when I click on them. Is that happening to anyone else?

The profile photos aren't working for me either.

I don't mind the new look but I already miss the black background.

yorba
02-06-2002, 10:35 PM
I definitely think a lighter background is cleaner, more professional looking. Perhaps exchange the white background for something slightly darker -- like a grey or something like that.

But I like it. I like it.

GNT
02-07-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
The profile photos aren't working for me either.

I get the following message :

Not Found
The requested URL /forums/images/uploaded/16_photo.jpg was not found on this server.

SirSteve
02-07-2002, 01:27 AM
Fixed. Sorry, fogot to upload that fold. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
02-07-2002, 03:08 AM
I still submit that the page needs a simple, yet effective background to break up the monotony of all that white. Something very faint that fits in with the theme, like some deck plating or something.

good shot jansen
02-07-2002, 05:50 PM
i for one do perfer the white. (hmmmf some peoples are never satisified)

i do like jt's idea of deck plating, that would be oh so stylin':happy:

Lord Malakite
02-07-2002, 07:36 PM
Hmmm. :confused: The old page is back up now.

Emperor Howdy
02-08-2002, 03:45 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, yesssss.....MUCH better!! I'm sure the old page is only up temporarily while artdoesart invents a happy medium.....but come on, now that you've seen 'em both, isn't the black ten times cooler?!?........with the logo, and a picture from each film in the header? Vader reaching out for Luke? Maul, QuiGon, and Obi-Wan in the final duel?.....the new one was just AOTC pics (if I rememeber correctly). I'm sure they'll come up with something cool that satisfies everyone.....they always do. :happy:

stillakid
02-08-2002, 11:56 AM
Go back! I for one liked the white, for what it's worth. A lot of the comments that I read came mostly from "newbies." The black has always been a bit cheesy, but the white adds a touch of class and professionalism which translates to respect and confidence in your content. The black casts it back into the land of lame-fanboy-website even though it's better than that!

You were on the right track. If you don't want just stark white, add a watermark image to it with the opacity dropped down to 50% or something. I'll email you a link to my own website to give you an example of what I did.

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 02:24 AM
The old page being back up is only temporary, there is a slight technical issue with the new one that is being worked out right now, so we'll see that back soon (though the deck plating idea is still what I want to see fill all that void).

good shot jansen
02-09-2002, 02:06 PM
count me in with mr. staff man (da heck happened to super moderator?:confused: ), deck plating is indeed what's needed!

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 08:37 PM
Well Big Boy, when Steve added the NEWS section, only Staff could post without requiring an OK, and since I am a reporter, I needed to be "Staff". I still have my super duper moderator powers, but it apparently has to read "Staff" for the news system which we're not even USING RIGHT NOW! ;)