PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Caribbean Figures That Work For Star Wars Dioramas

Tycho
05-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Today I bought 6 POTC figures - my first ever. It helps that I've never seen a POTC film, though the time is near where I may be renting them. It's a cool idea for a movie series. I always liked pirate stories in general.

Anyway, I bought the following figures because I thought they might be useful in the following scenes:

3 x Marty

- a short human, like the one Warrick Davis played in Watto's Box at the Podrace.

- the same in Mos Espa

- the same in the Mos Eisley Cantina

His clothing is "scrappy," such that he'd fit in on Tatooine

3 x Singapore Disguise Elizabeth Swan

- Bespin Cloud City

- Imperial Center during SOTE (Coruscant)

- Club Outlander during AOTC

7 x Prisoner Will Turner

- Mos Eisley Spaceport dude

- Mos Espa townsman

- Podrace audience member

- Coco Street Slythemonger (Coruscant)

- Club Outlander

- Dexter's Diner

- Order 66 World (possibly during Purge) as disguised Jedi refugee (his figure's look is very close to Quinlan Vos' though)

4 x Gibbs

- Mos Eisley Spaceport dude

- Mos Espa civilian

- Podrace Audience Member

- Club Outlander (as bartender) Bufon Tyre (??) was black however, and never made it on screen. He might be completely EU made up for AOTC explansion

3 x Tai Huang

Jabba's Palace - one of the humans Jabba employed as thugs

Jabba's Sailbarge - again one of Jabba's thugs

Mos Espa Civilian - it's possible. He's rather armored. Maybe he's looking towards the Hutts for employment.

4 xSao Feng

Imperial Center - as associate of Prince Xizor's. A Black Sun type of gangster if I ever saw one.

Naboo - as Amidala advisor. He looks like he might hang out with Sio Bibble in the old days when such flare was common-place.

Club Outlander - most of the patrons were human on Coruscant

Order 66 World - as Jedi Master vs. Darth Vader, maybe Will Turner's Jedi character's master?

What do you guys think? Would seeing these people in these dioramas be too strange or just about right?

pbarnard
05-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I've seen guys starting to use these in customs, and they would work for much of the Old Republic stuff, like Tales of the Jedi, and sparsely in Outer Rim worlds you want to make primitive. However, too much and you end up with PotC and not SW and this guy over did it and pretty much snapped when it was pointed out.

I myself am planning to use the Singapore Disguise Swann as the basis for a Roganda Ismaren custom.

figrin bran
05-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Tycho, in one fell swoop, you've bought more POTC figures than i have in my entire collection.

I think if you're going to try to shoehorn (ha, do i get JT points for using that word?) them into SW dioramas, it would help to tweak the figures a bit whether it be by repainting or kitbashing onto SW bodies. for instance, take Gibbs - the clothes and weathering are more "rugged" than what hasbro would produce.

stillakid
05-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm collecting BRATZ figures to use in my diorama of a Death Star brothel. :whip:

JediTricks
05-06-2007, 04:21 PM
That's a great call on Marty, I wish I had thought of it. Next time the POTC figs go on sale, I'm buying another Marty and tossing him in with my Jabba's Palace and Cantina guys. Hell, even his stupid duck-foot flintlock will seem more at home with Star Wars... I'll make it a pipe or something. ;)

Singapore Liz Swan I'm not sold on. Hell, I'm not even sold on her as a POTC figure, she's one of the humans I haven't bought yet. Could you show pictures of her in a diorama environment?

Prisoner Will Turner seems like it could work as a background guy in Mos Eisley, I haven't bought him for my POTC collection but I may just get him for both. He's even got universal-jointed shoulders so there's some display options.

Gibbs is a decent figure but he is way too visually linked to POTC and the pirate look in general.

Tai Huang as a jabba's palace minion isn't a half-bad idea, his armor would work for the skiff too, but his Chinese hat isn't removable so this would have to be a custom. I'd consider doing it too if, like Marty, it was on sale.

Sao Feng I think is just too obvious as an Earth figure, his outfit is too much of the Chinese style to work in SW.

What about some of the crazy Flying Dutchman crewmembers for aliens? Too nautical and out-there?

Figgy B is go for shoehorn!

Tycho
05-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Tai Huang as a jabba's palace minion isn't a half-bad idea, his armor would work for the skiff too, but his Chinese hat isn't removable so this would have to be a custom.

I didn't know the hat wasn't removeable. I think I intended to use him WITH the hat, however. I'll have to take another look.

There's no dioramas for me right now. :cry:

If you recall, during my near death experience, my uncle put everything into storage. I have 2 huge storage garages filled so I almost can't walk in there. I've tried doing some inventory. I think my strength might be better than what it was on my last attempt. However, I am better off finishing my novel. If I get ahead with it, I can buy a large house and deal with my SW collection on better terms (like with space to organize it again). My apartment I'm in now is nice, but unless I'm certain I'm going to be here for more than 2 more years, I'm not inclined to do dioramas here and I'm much happier having extra living space (I have a few assorted toys I've set up here:

12" Jabba's Palace Diorama w. SideShow & Hasbro
Transformers Alternators / MPEs in battle
All my SW 7" Unleashed
ArtAsylum / DST Star Trek starships
Star Wars Potato Heads
SideShow 12" Obi-Wan x 2 (vs. SideShow Anakin and Hasbro Grievous)
12" Hasbro Sailbarge appropriate figures
JediForce Boga and Obi-Wan
Quinlan & Villie 2-pack loose
Select TAC figures (carded) that I'll eventually open and use, Selucamai 2-pack
V-wings (3 boxed, 1 loose) and Sith Infiltrator

I've considered bringing over my Star Trek stuff actually - or my Mustafar Playset and a lot of my SW vehicles with their pilots.)

Sao Feng I think is just too obvious as an Earth figure, his outfit is too much of the Chinese style to work in SW.

Well, he looks like he's dressed like Prince Xizor.

What about some of the crazy Flying Dutchman crewmembers for aliens? Too nautical and out-there?

Yes. They're nice figures, but too nautical is a good description - though Tessek could join Davy Jones' crew. :D (so could maybe the Mon Cal warrior and Admiral Ackbar for that matter!) I didn't see POTC yet. Does one of the aquatic characters go, "It's a trap!" ??? Hahaha.

figrin bran
05-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Singapore Swann (the green dress one, not the one that comes in the Deluxe line) is a great figure (just don't use that bulky awful looking coat). then again, i was lucky enough to get a few of them when POTC dead man's chest was clearancing out. i'm starting to think that the head at least, might work for a Heroes Claire Bennet custom figure. i'm also thinking of hollowing out Singapore Swann heads to put on some Padme bodies - as i've pointed out before, it's a pretty good natalie portman likeness but a poor Keira likeness.

JediTricks
05-07-2007, 03:38 PM
I didn't know the hat wasn't removeable. I think I intended to use him WITH the hat, however. I'll have to take another look.It's not, it's glued onto his head, I nearly ruined mine trying when I first got it a few months ago.

Well, he looks like he's dressed like Prince Xizor. Granted, they are similar outfits (especially the deluxe version I think), but Captain Feng's outfit has more earth touches, including big Chinese characters.

Yes. They're nice figures, but too nautical is a good description - though Tessek could join Davy Jones' crew. :D (so could maybe the Mon Cal warrior and Admiral Ackbar for that matter!)I was thinking Bootstrap Bill and Clanker might not be too nautical for it.

I didn't see POTC yet. They're in POTC 2, and you should see the first 2 movies, they're a lot of fun, especially for an action fan like you who is also pretty forgiving (POTC2 needs a little forgiving but is still damn entertaining).

Tycho
05-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Yeah. I liked Big Trouble In Little Chinatown for whatever that's worth. :thumbsup:

jonthejedi
05-08-2007, 05:38 AM
...most underrated John Carpenter movie...ever!

JediTricks
05-08-2007, 05:33 PM
...most underrated John Carpenter movie...ever!
And here I thought that was "Big Trouble in Little China". :p Yeah, that movie kicks arse, there are a few areas it could be tighter but all in all it's a good entertainer.