PDA

View Full Version : I guess this is the new Jedi Luke...

bigbarada
05-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Found this earlier on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Star-Wars-30th-Anniversary-Sky-Walker-Loose_W0QQitemZ220109707128QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2476 QQcmdZViewItem

Honestly, it's not too bad, I'm not 100% sold on that cloth vest though. BUT at least you'll be able to take it off, put the Endor Luke poncho and helmet on him and stick him on a speeder bike... something you can't do with the current Endor Luke.

Is it too much to hope that he'll have interchangeable non-damaged and gloved right hands?

bigbarada
05-06-2007, 07:39 PM
The link seems to be acting funny for my browser so here's the image from the auction:

JediTricks
05-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, that vest looks really awful. And what's with that petulant expression, upwards gaze, and long neck?

bigbarada
05-06-2007, 07:43 PM
He looks like he was designed to be looking up at something, maybe the Rancor since I remember early shots of him with the leg bone in his hand. :confused: But then why give him the battle damaged hand? That didn't happen until after the Rancor confrontation.

JediTricks
05-06-2007, 07:51 PM
I suspect we're on the cusp of a new paint mask trend where everybody's going to be looking upwards, first it's the new Death Star Trooper and now Luke.

AmanaMatt
05-06-2007, 08:37 PM
I do not like this Luke - perfect example of soft goods gone WRONG....also, what is with the new bulky joint trend?

JON9000
05-06-2007, 08:43 PM
I think Final Jedi Duel Jedi Luke has the best likeness, and that was 10 years ago!!! C'mon Hasbro, you can DO it!

Darth Cruel
05-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Just looking at the picture...I expect this luke to be my favorite. I am perfectly content to sacrifice some sculpt for the added articulation. And the soft goods will decorate the inside of my garbage can if i do not like it in person.

Jargo
05-06-2007, 09:12 PM
the knee joints are terrible. the massive belt is ridiculous. his hands and feet look massive and overscaled. and yeah he looks pretty P'd off about that. shame coz the head sculpt isn't half bad for once. it actually bears a passing resemblance to Hamill.

bigbarada
05-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Here's a close up of the face. I'm wondering if the upward gaze is just a combination of the light source (the highlights seem to indicate that the light is shining straight down on the figures) and a sloppy paint application.

Jargo
05-07-2007, 10:14 AM
looks like he got marty feldman eyes lol

Devo
05-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Rather brutal looking if I do say so. And not in a good way.

JediTricks
05-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Here's a close up of the face. I'm wondering if the upward gaze is just a combination of the light source (the highlights seem to indicate that the light is shining straight down on the figures) and a sloppy paint application.I hope so, but I'm betting it's not, the left eye's pupil is applied solidly and it's slightly upwards-gazing as well. If you cover the right side of the face, he's still looking upwards.

I do not like this Luke - perfect example of soft goods gone WRONG....also, what is with the new bulky joint trend?Yeah, the soft goods definitely have gone wrong.

I think the joints are a new philosophy of universal-joints that are trying to incorporate themselves into dynamic constuming, but they don't really succeed because the tolerances aren't close enough or the costumes are exaggerated. It came in at the same time with the philosophy of the universal shoulder joint that's angled so it's not as round but leaves a gap when raised.

jjreason
05-07-2007, 05:54 PM
The knees stand out to me as too big - but I think they're trying to show the "blousing" of the material around the tall boots. The pictures I had seen of the current Death Star Trooper made it look much worse than it actually looks in real life - I hope it's the same with this Luke.

Has there been any mention of whether or not he'll come with both Endor and Jabba's Palace accessories?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I think he looks pretty good, but would have preferred if they included different hands. His right hand looks to be ginormous as it did at Toy Fair (though somewhat better now), probably so he can hold the bone.

I'm also wondering why they're releasing yet another Tatooine ROTJ Luke instead of a DSII one? I wonder if they had planned to leave off the vest and paint his hand black, and then thought the figure sucked and decided to wait until they could do a better DSII figure? Dunno.

As far as accessories, JJ, I know he comes with a bone and I think he comes with a lightsaber (accoring to the Toy Fair pics).

Slicker
05-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Yeah, he's nothing too impressive.

So now people'll complain for a new one again. :rolleyes:

jjreason
05-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Don't fret, I'm sure that they'll release at VOTC Jedi Luke here at some point, hopefully it'll be the one we've been waiting for.

JEDIpartner
05-08-2007, 09:48 AM
He's wearing a scarf that's tucked under his belt. That's not a vest!!!!!!!!

Tycho
05-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah. I think I'll pass. Anyone notice how the HTTE Luke (with Mara) is 10x better than this one?

mtriv73
05-08-2007, 04:18 PM
I think they finally got the face sculpt absolutely right. The paint on that one could be better and the vest is kind of meh, but other than that I love it.

bobafrett
05-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Don't fret, I'm sure that they'll release at VOTC Jedi Luke here at some point, hopefully it'll be the one we've been waiting for.

Did you say "Don't Frett"? :razz:

I think his hands look more like Mark Hamill's hands in "Jay and Silent Bob strike back".

Jargo
05-08-2007, 09:31 PM
his head sculpt looks identical to the saga Luke to me. just with different hair colour. I actually prefer the saga version to be honest. seems better proportioned.

sebillba
05-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Anyone notice how the HTTE Luke (with Mara) is 10x better than this one?

I've not seen this set yet - anyone got a link?

Mad Slanted Powers
05-09-2007, 10:10 AM
I've not seen this set yet - anyone got a link?

figrin bran posted this link in another thread - http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/JPPrime/comicpacks1.jpg.

sebillba
05-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks for that.:thumbsup: I've now found the original thread.... some cool looking figures there.

JediTricks
05-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Has there been any mention of whether or not he'll come with both Endor and Jabba's Palace accessories?Just a bone and a lightsaber. http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=20493&cat=5269

I think he looks pretty good, but would have preferred if they included different hands.I would have liked a plain hand, shot hand, and gloved hand.

I'm also wondering why they're releasing yet another Tatooine ROTJ Luke instead of a DSII one? I wonder if they had planned to leave off the vest and paint his hand black, and then thought the figure sucked and decided to wait until they could do a better DSII figure? Dunno.Probably because he spends over half the movie with that vest on, but I don't think that's a good enough reason.

Yeah, he's nothing too impressive.

So now people'll complain for a new one again. :rolleyes:I think that's the biggest tragedy of all, Jedi Luke placed in the ToyFare fan choice poll and yet they drop the ball again.

Droid
05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I think that's the biggest tragedy of all, Jedi Luke placed in the ToyFare fan choice poll and yet they drop the ball again.

I am convinced that they continue to release figures with at least one flaw ON PURPOSE so that people will rebuy in the future. People want Jerjerrod? Let's give him one of the worst facial expressions we've ever done and a wide stance, then they'll buy him again someday. The tragedy there is I think a lot people passed on the figure because it was so bad and now they may think, "Well I guess they don't want Jerjerrod."

Cody without the pinhead? We'd buy that.
Death Star Trooper without the running pose? We're buying that.
VOTC Greedo with super articulation and a plastic vest that is actually orange? We'd buy that.
Wuher without a glass sculpted in his hand that doesn't look like he fell in a mud puddle? We'd buy that.
An Emperor figure that actually looks like the Emperor? We'd buy that.

I think the same thing about having figures look upwards lately. We hate it, we'll buy them, then we'll buy them again when they release them someday without the deliberately bad "artist's interpretation" of the character.

JediTricks
05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
That'd suggest they have the scheming skills necessary to pull off such a Machiavellian plot, and I'm firmly convinced the line management is about as cunning as the 3 Stooges. ;)

Tycho
05-09-2007, 09:43 PM
I so agree with Droid's post above. Nice job, Droid.

In the Q&A with Hasbro, some site asked them why they don't just come up with the definitive version of a figure like Jedi Luke. They said something about they had to determine how much cost they could put into each figure's features. However, once the parts were made, like bending knees on Speederbike Luke (1997), they might not continue putting that feature on an update (like bending elbows on the next one, or the perfect face sculpt - or the various hands is another perfect example). So we keep buying them. (Well you guys do. I don't buy into it. My Luke Tatooine proudly includes action figure size steroids :crazed:)

JON9000
05-10-2007, 12:55 PM
VOTC Greedo with super articulation and a plastic vest that is actually orange

Aw, man, that gives me a great idea! I can just take the plastic vest off my commtech greedo and replace the stupid velvet one on VTSC greedo with it!

Droid
05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
I put a plastic vest on the VOTC Greedo and it really makes it look much better. And you don't have to ruin either vest to do it.

DarkArtist
05-10-2007, 09:39 PM
just found this on ebay. it appears to be a prototype of the new Luke Jedi figure for the TAC line without the huge soft goods vest. if so then here's Hasbro's answer so far for our DS II Luke

bigbarada
05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
just found this on ebay. it appears to be a prototype of the new Luke Jedi figure for the TAC line without the huge soft goods vest. if so then here's Hasbro's answer so far for our DS II Luke

I'm liking this Luke figure more and more, he'll be a perfect replacement for the inferior body of the Endor Luke. Now I just hope all of Endor Luke's accessories will fit on him.

JediTricks
05-11-2007, 07:12 PM
They answered the question but left out the pertinent part about being DS2 Luke underneath. :rolleyes:

That test-shot looks decent without the stupid vest, but the arms seem a tad bulky and I hope that belt is removable.

Tycho
05-12-2007, 12:02 AM
The belt looks to be molded plastic and unless this is an unpainted prototype, it should be silver on the buckle and shaped differently.

I think most of us also would like a Death Star 2 Luke with the flap on his tunic opened, too. (Though we would appreciate the figure being offered both ways). Anyway, I'm still not impressed with this one. However, upon closer comparison, he might have the same head as the EU Comic 2-Pack Luke that I so admire.

In ROTJ Luke was 23 and in HTTE, Luke was 28. I'm not sure he'd look that much different that they'd need a new headsculpt.

Droid
05-12-2007, 11:07 AM
At first, I'd rather have a good Death Star II Luke with the flap closed.

ROTJLuke
05-13-2007, 01:53 PM
They answered the question but left out the pertinent part about being DS2 Luke underneath. :rolleyes:

That test-shot looks decent without the stupid vest, but the arms seem a tad bulky and I hope that belt is removable.

The belt looks to be molded plastic and unless this is an unpainted prototype, it should be silver on the buckle and shaped differently.

I think most of us also would like a Death Star 2 Luke with the flap on his tunic opened, too. (Though we would appreciate the figure being offered both ways). Anyway, I'm still not impressed with this one. However, upon closer comparison, he might have the same head as the EU Comic 2-Pack Luke that I so admire.

In ROTJ Luke was 23 and in HTTE, Luke was 28. I'm not sure he'd look that much different that they'd need a new headsculpt.

At first, I'd rather have a good Death Star II Luke with the flap closed.

LOL, alrighty, time to bring in the Jedi Luke expert. JT, I was pretty dissapointed with Hasbro's answer to my question too. 2 weeks and they tell us the obvious. However, yes, the test shots did get me quite excited.

Tycho, the 'sash' in the proto test shot is just the sash for the cloth vest. I blew this photo up and you can see a utility belt (painted with silver and all) underneath this bulky sash. Put the image in a 'mypictures' type program, and then blow it up, it doesn't distort this particular image, rather makes it large and clear. The utility belt is there, so for a future repack, just adding a gloved hand and removing the sash/cloth vest and we have a great DS2 Luke.

And finally, yes Droid, I agree with you. I think we need (and I would prefer) a closed chest flap Luke DS2 before the opened flap, which I'm sure well get eventually. I think this Luke was going to come reguardless, however Hasbro figured they could squeeze a 2 for 1 with this one, and release it the first time with the vest/sash combo, and then repack it without that stuff, giving us the DS2 Luke we've been clamoring for, the Luke that placed in the top 25 in the Fan's Choice poll, and finally a great single carded Death Star 2 Luke Jedi.

TAC Luke Jedi-Cloth vest and sash+gloved hand+lightsaber/binders=Death Star 2 Luke :D

Qui-Long Gone
05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I'll have to see this figure in the box before I can speak my mind because in general, I've been pretty dissapointed with the Luke figs and REALLY want to see a good Death Star 2 Luke....