PDA

View Full Version : The Tonnika Sisters

Tycho
05-12-2007, 08:08 AM
In Rebelscum's Q&A this week, Hasbro was asked about certain specific figures they'd hinted at before. Now they say they cannot comment on the Tonnika Sisters "period."

What is up with that?

1) It's still some kind of legal blockade?

2) The figure of Brea is done and they're holding out until C4 or Comic Con to break the news?

3) Another theory?

jjreason
05-12-2007, 08:29 AM
They're towing the company line by refusing to provide any useful answers whatsoever?

abell748
05-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I think that they are just keeping silent. In another Q&A this week (I forget which one) they said that alot of what they were going to show at CIV has already been leaked and what hasn't been is being held "very close to the chest". I am hoping that the "can't comment at this time" is their way of saying we will see it at CIV. I just don't remember there being a ton of leaked things out there besides rumor lists.

decadentdave
05-12-2007, 09:06 AM
I agree. C4 will bring good news. I remember last year they said something about us seeing at least one of the Tonnika Sisters "in some form" meaning that they might have to do something to get around legal rights. I think that issue might have been resolved.

bobafrett
05-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Ahhhh Tonnika!

LTBasker
05-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Usually when they can't comment at all is when they're being made. Remember, they (w/c)ouldn't comment on the Imperial shuttle and even denied it's existance until it regularly hit shelves, IIRC.

Actually makes me wonder if they might be exclusives then, a Mos Eisley battle/multi pack, maybe?

El Chuxter
05-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Actually makes me wonder if they might be exclusives then, a Mos Eisley battle/multi pack, maybe?

I just know it had better not be one Tonnika in a Battlepack with other Cantina denizens we already have, making us buy two more Momaw Nadons (for example) in order to get both Tonnikas.

That would be the ultimate slap in the face to collectors, and, considering this is a company that seems to pride itself on slapping collectors' faces as often as possible, that's saying quite a bit.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I thought their answers this week were overall pretty helpful/informative, like about the upcoming McQuarrie Starkiller Hero.

But, I too wonder what the deal is with the Tonnika sisters? People used to ask for them more, but it seems like Yarna has taken their place as "figure we're gonna complain about for a long time and then pretty much forget about in a few years." At CIV I'll try to directly ask them about a few things such as this and see what they say.

Jargo
05-12-2007, 02:32 PM
wouldn't it be fun if LFL were going to use the tonnika sisters in the live action show and therefore told hasbro they couldn't touch them until the show aired. LFL states that the tv show is about people who were in the movies but not the stars so they can pick any background character and use them. and we know Lucas has a thing for chicks with skintight costumes or practically nude.

either that or hasbro is just so damn sick of hearing questions about the Tonnika situation they've put an embargo on those questions.

what I don't understand is why they can't just release a similar looking figure, any old face. half these figures are only resembling the movie characters anyway. none of them are really dead on accurate likenesses because it's nigh on impossible to sculpt that at such a small scale.

it's more likely a case of them simply being female. and hard to place in a boys toys line where gunslinging male characters are the norm.

Phantom-like Menace
05-12-2007, 10:54 PM
That would be the ultimate slap in the face to collectors

Does "ultimate slap inthe face" mean anything anymore? If they actually slap us in the face one day we're going to have to invent new words to explain what happened.

what I don't understand is why they can't just release a similar looking figure, any old face.

Because then they'd be EU and Hasbro would never hear the end about how some collectors are crying themselves to sleep at night.

mabudonicus
05-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Wel, if innaccurate face/head sculpts makes figures "EU" then maybe what, 75% of the line is "EU" eh?? Is that the "legal problem"?? That they don't have the actresses' permission to "use" their faces?? I honestly can't see a problem there, seriously hardly any of the figs truly look like the person they're based on- from totally wrong to "reasonably evocative" maybe but I can't think of one figure that's freakishly accurate- "pretty close" seems like the pinnacle and really, if the actual face is the issue, they should just get some ladies who look pretty much like them (hell, dead-ringers even) and "base" these figs on them, give them a slightly different name and away ya go (like "Cantina patron 2 pack")

Just my thoughts on this, I don't really "get" all the fuss
:beard: Iso & Baws

Lord Malakite loves video games, so does Jaymz Fettfield

jjreason
05-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Hear, hear! Thou dost maketh too much sense, Mabudizzle. :ducks:

JediTricks
05-15-2007, 01:22 AM
I agree. C4 will bring good news. I remember last year they said something about us seeing at least one of the Tonnika Sisters "in some form" meaning that they might have to do something to get around legal rights. I think that issue might have been resolved.That's not what they said back then, here's the only time they said anything other than no comment, June 30th...
TheJawa: Will the Tonnika Sisters ever be made?
Hasbro: Hopefully, but there's no timeline.
But on June 23rd, they told us here on SSG:
Q: Does Lucasfilm have the rights to the likeness for the Tonnika Sisters (ANH cantina patrons), and if so is there plans to create figures?
A: Thanks for the question, but that's not something we can comment on right now.
and these are the other direct mentions, such as on Sept 29th...
Rebelscum.com: As a follow-up to several fan/collector questions regarding if and when particular figures will be made and released, are there any figures fans have been asking about that you can confirm will not be made based on current policies? What I mean is, can you say unequivically that the Tonnika sisters simply cannot be made or can you clear the air on these figures and tell us that they can be made but they just don't fit into the line-up at this time? While I specify the Tonnika sisters, I am also curious about any others that fans have asked for that you may know for a fact that (unless there are drastic legal or philosophical changes) the figure won't be made. You mentioned earlier that figures of dead figures/corpses are a hard sell. Does this mean we won't get a dead Owen and Beru Lars two-pack or simply that it would be really difficult to have someone approve these as a toy? If it's the latter, please refer them to George Lucas's own thoughts on this, "YODA: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is." In short, Lucas wants us to have our corpse figures.
Hasbro: Hah, that's good Dan. However persuasive your argument is, there is a long, long list of living figures that deserve to be made before we get to figures like the Owen and Beru "x-tra crispy" figures. It's possible that some day these could be accessories to another set, but that would be far down the road and in any case wouldn't be the focus of any offering per se. There are no specific figures that are taboo or off limits, really. As for the Tonnika Sisters, I have no comment whatsoever and can give no more information on them except to say that figure(s) are not in development.
and Oct 27th...
FFURG.com: When George Lucas had Carrie Fisher and the other stars sign over their likeness for all LFL products, Carrie was quoted as saying that she couldn't look in the mirror without paying George royalties. Yet, when collectors asked about the long-desired Tonnika Sisters, we've gotten the response that there are "complications" with release of the likeness of one or both of the actresses. Does this mean LFL does not own the likeness to every character and actor within the movies? In the case of the TSC Endor Soliders, did Hasbro have to release royalties for John Doe who played "Endor Trooper #15" in ROJ?
Hasbro: We can't/won't comment on these issues.
As you can see, they've been incredibly consistent except for 1 comment that promises nothing. Their response looks like a legal response, hands-tied issues. With the Imperial Shuttle, it was a contractual issue with Target, but I suspect the Tonnika thing is not like that, it's a different kind of legal issue.

El Chuxter
05-15-2007, 02:43 AM
Why/how could there be legal issues with only two rather minor background characters?

Tycho
05-15-2007, 04:09 AM
I spoke with Christine Hewitt at C3. She's not sure whether she played Brea or Senni, as Decipher or West End Games named the characters later. (but they used their image?)

Anyway, Christine is not the problem. The other girl is. From what I interpreted from Ms. Hewitt, the other girl, once a friend of hers, has some substance abuse issues and would probably do a lot for money - especially some of Lucas'.

I think with the characters and the actresses being confused, there is an issue as well. I'm not sure how West End Games or Decipher handled it - however if I remember the CCG card, both ladies were pictured together. So I also am left wondering, if there's something specific about action figure licensing in Hasbro's contract that opens them up to legal action that Decipher or West End didn't have to worry about? As another solution is a 2-pack - but Hasbro hasn't gone that route yet either.

It's very curious. I would think that if they said the figure(s) were not in production at that time, they were not hiding that a 2-pack was being made. "No Comment" would suffice if they just wanted to save a surprise. Totally lying about it doesn't seem the best PR style.

Bosskman
05-15-2007, 04:31 AM
Why do some people seem to act like one "Tonnika sister" figure would suffice. They are two different characters. One is blue and one is green. One is taller than the other. Just had to get that off my chest. MAKE THEM BOTH.

mabudonicus
05-15-2007, 08:40 AM
I was readin on starwars.com that the "identical twin" thing was basically something created by west-end games. They took the image of the one chick and flipped it to make a mirror image, thus making the pair literally identical twins. Hope this helps... Ialso learned that they were oroginally called "Space Girls" and also officially the somewhat less flattering "Star W#@res"- maybe they could call them the latter and be done with it??
Chux thinks many of the EU names for "characters" are painfully silly

Droid
05-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Why do some people seem to act like one "Tonnika sister" figure would suffice. They are two different characters. One is blue and one is green. One is taller than the other. Just had to get that off my chest. MAKE THEM BOTH.

I also want them both, but right now my cantina diorama has two of the same Duros even though the second Duros had a different outfit. But growing up and for YEARS I thought that the Duros were both in the same spacesuit. I also, until very recently, thought the Tonnikas were both wearing green. If they would put out one I would buy two of whatever it was, blue or green, put them in the diorama and not be too worried about getting the other.

Right now the Tonnikas are #2 (green) and #3 (blue) on most personal list of most wanted figures. If they put out one, but not the other, the one that does not get made will tumble on my personal list of figures I'd like them to make.

Tycho
05-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I'd probably buy the first one they made twice just to be done with it.

Most casual observers of my dioramas would just look at my bar scene and say, "That's sweet. I remember that scene."

Now in my Jabba's Palace diorama, I use the '96 Jedi Luke. I like the figure and it is a piece of nostalgia for me. If Bosskman came over, he'd say, "Luke is incorrect in your diorama - he has a black glove on his hand whereas his hand wasn't even injured in that scene." Most people would say, "Cool. Jabba's Palace! Nice diorama." (I hope)

The solution is to do whatever best satisfies you. A single Tonnika Sister bought twice would be alright for me. They're important "space fillers" in the diorama, just not that important that they have to be so movie accurate.

As to the Duro? I use two Elorr Maddak figures, one with a "Leia Collection" Ceremony Luke's yellow jacket on him. That worked out fine for me. It might have even been part of the actual wardrobe choice in the movie, but I never really checked.

El Chuxter
05-15-2007, 11:07 AM
So, uh, what does it matter? Don't all the actors sign their lives and likenesses away? Did this one lady, who happens to have problems, somehow miss filling out her paperwork?

It's not like Carrie Fisher didn't have all sorts of substance abuse problems.

Tycho
05-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm surprised you of all people missed this, Chuxter.

They had no idea "A New Hope" was going to be so successful and iconic. In fact, Lucas didn't originally own it - FOX did (Lucas used his fortune to buy it all back from FOX before ESB - but hence FOX did the Holiday Special before Lucas owned Star Wars outright. Remember, Lucas had no money before Star Wars.)

In 77 there were no figures. Kenner got them out in 78 of course. It was all being worked out after A New Hope was in theaters. The blockbuster was invented with Star Wars as well, really.

By ESB they had all this worked out and thus there could be a Lobot action figure.

El Chuxter
05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Then, given that no 3.75" figure is a really great likeness of the actor, why not make her anyway and just Photoshop an image of her for the card?

This is silly. Hasbro knows we wants them, so they're not going to make them. At least not as long as the majority of us are buying pink Clonetroopers.

mabudonicus
05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey Chux, now you're stealin my material- you not read the whole thread or what??
Apparently Chux never read the whole thread.

El Chuxter
05-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I just enjoy ticking you off, ducks.

Jargo
05-15-2007, 07:15 PM
has anyone ever asked LFL about this? it sounds like some sort of FBI response to a question about mafia.

Phantom-like Menace
05-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Wel, if innaccurate face/head sculpts makes figures "EU" then maybe what, 75% of the line is "EU" eh??

You don't think if Hasbro made a figure and told some of the rabid anti-EU haters out there that it isn't the figure from the movie but it's close, that there wouldn't be lynch mobs forming on every message board? I can already imagine all the cries that Hasbro has gone too far and umpteen million people are going to stop collecting until Hasbro realizes what they've done. If they'd released the highly inaccurate Commander Gree as "Gree's Elite Trooper" and told us that was the only Gree we were getting, I imagine people would still be recovering from the seizures.

Did this one lady, who happens to have problems, somehow miss filling out her paperwork?

Maybe she used the paperwork as rolling paper?

Tycho
05-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Maybe she used the paperwork as rolling paper?

If you mean to roll marajuana in, then yes she did (not Christine Hewitt, but the other one). Drugs, alcohol, whatever else she was into. Hasbro and Lucasfilm just don't want to deal with it. That's my supposition though Hewitt, to her credit, would not indulge in gossip about her working partner.

Bosskman
05-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Tycho, I wouldn't complain about the black glove, but the headsculpt on that figure is ug-a-ly.

Chux, nice avatar. I like it.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-16-2007, 09:08 AM
This is silly. Hasbro knows we wants them, so they're not going to make them. At least not as long as the majority of us are buying pink Clonetroopers.Pink Clone Troopers? I haven't seen those yet. I need to get a bunch of those.:D

Kidhuman
05-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Pink Clone Troopers? I haven't seen those yet. I need to get a bunch of those.:D

<Gets pink marker and box o' clones>

MSP, I got some for you......

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Why/how could there be legal issues with only two rather minor background characters?They probably forgot to get one of the actress' signatures on a specific contract and perhaps she either sued for royalties to the character (the character being a representation of her likeness and portrayal) or sued to keep Lucas from exploiting her likeness in merchandising.

Why do some people seem to act like one "Tonnika sister" figure would suffice. They are two different characters. One is blue and one is green. One is taller than the other. Just had to get that off my chest. MAKE THEM BOTH.Because we'd be lucky to get 1 and would just buy 2 of her instead of waiting for both, they're not different enough to warrant 2 figures for most collectors. I could see them doing a running-change headswap/decoswap though, that'd go over alright, but not a new body.

So, uh, what does it matter? Don't all the actors sign their lives and likenesses away? Did this one lady, who happens to have problems, somehow miss filling out her paperwork?My guess is they didn't get the rights to license her likeness, maybe a contract got lost, who knows.

They had no idea "A New Hope" was going to be so successful and iconic. In fact, Lucas didn't originally own it - FOX did (Lucas used his fortune to buy it all back from FOX before ESB - but hence FOX did the Holiday Special before Lucas owned Star Wars outright. Remember, Lucas had no money before Star Wars.)Fox still owns ANH, Lucas always had ownership over the brand, over merchandising decisions, and sequels, but Fox essentially owns ANH which is why for a long time ANH was always on TV in the late '90s, Fox syndicated it out.

In 77 there were no figures. Kenner got them out in 78 of course. It was all being worked out after A New Hope was in theaters.That's not right, in late '76 when it was first shopped none of the big toy companies wanted the license, but Kenner who wasn't as big as the others picked up the license in early '77 intending to make puzzles and other low-end junk, it's just that they didn't know how popular the movie would be either and didn't have product ready till the end of the year because of how long it takes to make figures.

The blockbuster was invented with Star Wars as well, really.Except for Jaws from 2 years prior.

Then, given that no 3.75" figure is a really great likeness of the actor, why not make her anyway and just Photoshop an image of her for the card?Because as long as it's MEANT to represent a character whom she portrayed, without proper licensing she could sue for royalties or to halt the production/sale of the item.

Droid
05-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Weren't the Tonnikas, or one of them, in a Galoob/Micro Machines set? Does that not count because they were so small? Is that a different company?

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Weren't the Tonnikas, or one of them, in a Galoob/Micro Machines set? Does that not count because they were so small? Is that a different company?
Good call, that's true, Brea Tonnika was in the Galoob Action Fleet Battle Pack #3, "Aliens & Creatures", with a Bantha, Tusken Raider, Gamorrean Guard, and Bib Fortuna. Of course, that was 11 years ago.

jedikiss
05-23-2007, 08:34 PM
At C3, Christina Hewitt (sp?) seemed thrilled w/ the custom Tonnika sister figure I made. She even signed it. Them there were rumors she was in negotiaions w/ Hasbro for a legit release. Initially, i hoped the sisters or at least 1 variant would be the c4 exclusive w/ "U" bar, while the other variant was a mass retail release even w/out the "u" bar.
The McQ Droids and Luke are reasonable, still I wished Tonnika sisters were made already. Maybe Hasbro has plans for a secret release, kinda like the disney cantina figs. They are being so hush hush about it that it reminds be of target's shuttle release last year. Maybe that's where/how they'll surface.