PDA

View Full Version : 1985 all over again???

Old Fossil
05-14-2007, 08:24 AM
There was an interesting bit over at GH's last Q&A about new Hasbro product coming this year. Specifically, the comment was made along the lines that it seems Hasbro has too much product slated to be released this year, before the TV series comes. It's almost like the company is trying its best to get new stuff out before the line is put on hold.

I can totally buy into this line of thinking. I know I'm not the only one worried that the new Legends line will junk up the pegs, its repaints and reissues competing for peg space with new, original figures in the main TAC line like the McQuarrie series, Stormtroopers and DS Troopers, etc. But further, how can Hasbro possibly hold to the release dates (and rumored release dates) for coming TAC waves? I mean, here it is the middle of May, and TAC Wave 2 is coming in at a trickle, or not at all. EE has Wave 2 scheduled to ship in May, I think, and Wave 3 in June. (I may well be mistaken on the latter.) When can we realistically expect to see that basic carded Stormie at WM, TRU, and Target -- December???

Is Hasbro too ambitious? Are they worried that the line will stall out in the face of competition from other lines this year? Do they see a repeat of 1984-85 for Star Wars figures? With store space for the line shrinking, and the number of basic figures conversely expanding, what are we supposed to think about that apparent market bottleneck?

El Chuxter
05-14-2007, 09:32 AM
You may be onto something.

Snake Eyes is coming out in a few months, and I see Optimus Prime on the shelves regularly.

Hmmmm....

BoShek
05-14-2007, 09:59 AM
The figures are selling very well in my area. Hasbro is going to make a lot of money this year and a lot of fans will be happy.

JON9000
05-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Many stores in my area are completely sold out of figures. Yeah, I've seen every wave 1 figure on the peg at some point, but they really aren't warming anywhere. SAGA figures are moving pretty well also. I cannot tell for sure, but it seems Hasbro is making a killing on these things, selling like they are at $7 per fig.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-14-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure that it's as bad as 1985, or will be soon. They're making all this product and it seems to overall be selling very well, showing that people do still have an interest in SW. Having a hard time finding figures is, in my area at least, due more to them either selling out too fast or not being shipped enough rather than any of the Greatest Hits figures (which are no longer out around here, though that may change when Legends hits, but I wouldn't really count on it).

Mad Slanted Powers
05-14-2007, 07:42 PM
The main problem here is that all the stores still have plenty of TSC figures. Wal-Mart probably has the least amount of space to put the new figures. For the TAC, I've had the best luck at Fred Meyer, however it is the one on the other side of town that has had wave 2 and not the one near my house.

DarkArtist
05-15-2007, 04:53 PM
I think they can't keep up with the demand so stores are showing empty pegs. as far as the product goes, I wish Hasbro would do more figures this year. while 60 is a great number I would love to see more

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-15-2007, 06:09 PM
I think they can't keep up with the demand so stores are showing empty pegs. as far as the product goes, I wish Hasbro would do more figures this year. while 60 is a great number I would love to see more
That's just basic figures, though, and it's (obviously) a non-movie year. There were also the final 22 TSC figures that are still shipping, several Legends coming, and then Battlepacks, Comic Packs, Tin sets, Order 66 packs, and everything like that. I would rather they focus only on the main line and only do the other things sparingly, but it just keeps on coming.

bigbarada
05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
I would prefer fewer figures. With shrinking shelf space being alloted to Star Wars in stores, I think Hasbro should should just focus on putting out 10-20 figures of VOTC/VTSC quality and that's it.

jedi master sal
05-15-2007, 08:48 PM
I would prefer fewer figures. With shrinking shelf space being alloted to Star Wars in stores, I think Hasbro should should just focus on putting out 10-20 figures of VOTC/VTSC quality and that's it.

What? only 1 to 2 figures per month (averaging it out).

No way. There is still too much money out ther efor Hasbro to make on this stuff.

36-48 figs a year is reasonable at this point. And they can run polls for desired previous figures and reissue them. Exactly as they are doing this year. Doing that would ensure them that they would reuse old molds, as well as still get new figures to the masses.

But really the TV aside, I can't see how this can continue for too many more years. This year is a breakneck pace of releases (at least planned for...we still have seen wave 3 and the vintage figs JUST started showing up according to a guy on RS).

JON9000
05-15-2007, 09:08 PM
36-48 figs a year is reasonable at this point.

I heard we are getting something on the order of 200 figures this year alone.

As for the staying power of the line, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. It is a completely different world now. When we were kids, it was much harder to keep things going, and let's face it, those continuation lines were lame... nowadays Star Wars truly is a complete multi-media phenomenon. This line isn't showing signs of giving out, certainly not when compared to the great glut of 1997.

bigbarada
05-16-2007, 11:54 AM
I feel that we are starting to see the end of the line for Star Wars merchandise. Which would make it very much like 1985.

The TV series was originally slated for this year, but it's been pushed back twice and now it's only going to be two one-hour special along with an animated series.

Then we have Hasbro buying back their stocks from Lucasfilm and Corgi choosing not to renew their liscense. Plus the delayed release of Hasbro's 30th Anniversary and the upcoming Force Unleashed lines. As of now, TAC is arriving at a slow trickle while TSC figures continue to flood the pegs with Hasbro's old backstock.

Honestly, I'm thinking that if the attendance at Celebration 4 is disappointing, then we might see a cancellation of all the Hasbro toy lines within the year.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm calling it.

El Chuxter
05-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Honestly, I'm thinking that if the attendance at Celebration 4 is disappointing, then we might see a cancellation of all the Hasbro toy lines within the year.

Given the staggering cost to go and collect autographs for a few days, I don't see how attendance can be anything but disappointing.

jedi master sal
05-16-2007, 12:10 PM
I feel that we are starting to see the end of the line for Star Wars merchandise. Which would make it very much like 1985.

The TV series was originally slated for this year, but it's been pushed back twice and now it's only going to be two one-hour special along with an animated series.

Then we have Hasbro buying back their stocks from Lucasfilm and Corgi choosing not to renew their liscense. Plus the delayed release of Hasbro's 30th Anniversary and the upcoming Force Unleashed lines. As of now, TAC is arriving at a slow trickle while TSC figures continue to flood the pegs with Hasbro's old backstock.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm calling it.

Actually I think you are right on par.

And about CIV, it may draw in more people not from the states on that side of the world, but you can bet there won't be as many from Europe, and the East coast of the states and that's where the major populace is comparitively to the west coast. Sure California is populated, but they can't make CIV all by themselves. Having it in Indy was more centrally located and made sense for most fans. Having it in LA makes sense for LFL from a business stand point. Easier to get stuff there from San Fran, easier to get celebrities to show up. I wonder if there will even be a CV. If so, it should be in New York then. Even it up some.

Seriously though, I think this is going to be the last BIG year for all of the major licenses. Haven't really heard much from SSC in the last couple of months. GG has stuff coming out but hasn't announced much new. Etc. Though I imagine they all will announce at CIV and/or SD ComiCon.

I had already made the decision for myself that this was my last year. Seems LFL and the licensees are helping me in that decision.

I'm cool with it. Lord knows I've got plenty of stuff.

JON9000
05-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Folks, Transformers and GI Joe have been going strong for 20 years with sparse movie or television support. GI Joe may be a relatively small line nowadays, but is that really a bad thing?

El Chuxter
05-16-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd take a sparse line, even higher costs from only distributing smaller production runs online and in specialty stores, if it meant I could finally get a damned Cliegg Lars.

pbarnard
05-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Folks, Transformers and GI Joe have been going strong for 20 years with sparse movie or television support. GI Joe may be a relatively small line nowadays, but is that really a bad thing?

I'll disagree with GI Joe going strong for 20 years now. It has fallen way off since its height of say 1987, and was buried a few years later and never really recovered despite a 5-6 year experiment by Hasbro to the contrary.

To fully draw out the '85 analogy, GI Joe was launched 3 years prior and was already chipping away at SW lead/market; it led the market for years, and underwent an agonizing death as the transfer to video games was emerging (although making everyone a ninja contributed too). Transformers came out 1 year before in 84, but soon as most fad toys do, went away to the same if not more obscure market as GI Joe however with a much more loyal fanbase in America, but a broader base in Asia.

Star Wars has worked this time around due to a large assortment of things. First, the emergence of the EU showed that there is a market for adults. Second, in the late 90s there was a huge nostalgia campaign where 20 somethings with their first jobs and disposable incomes tried to recapture their youth. Finally, most important, Star Wars unlike the rest, kept a steady flux of kids coming into the fold unlike the other toys.

What's with the licensees? First, Hasbro didn't have the cash on hand when it renewed the license so it offered the stock. I was surprised that it gave as much to LFL as it did, but it has worked mostly due to the success of its Star Wars line to put the cash on hand to reacquire the stock, and now it can be put back into the market and raise more capital by selling it. That's not the sign of trouble (actually it was troubling that Hasbro made the offer in stock in the first place). You do realize that Star Wars is the top selling brand with little to no marketing relying totally on name recognition?

The Corgi thing is beyond me. I see so many posts that if it was just more affordable, I'd get a MR piece. They were going to try and use the Hasbro model (don't market it and it will sell just due to name). Maybe LFL thought they could sell more and maybe Corgi thought it could sell more if it lowered the price but couldn't due to license fee considerations. Maybe since the acquisition of MR by Corgi, as some has suggested, the quality of the work has gone down and LFL protecting the brand said declining quality means no more for you. Either way, it's not going to change much the core of the Star Wars market, the Hasbro line and Del Ray publications.

People are going to say, erroneously, that LFL or Hasbro are hiking the price. No, just take a step back and think about it. You're buying a petroleum based product and the price of crude oil is at all time highs. The cost of diesel fuel is increasing, adding to the retailers--not Hasbro or LFL-- costs in getting petroleum based products to markets. The stores are passing these costs along.

Maybe over the next few years Star Wars will fade into the status of Transformers (having a broad international support) as opposed to GI Joe (having only an American appeal).

However, I think the future looks bright when you see kids saying the latest cantina figure is a new bounty hunter or that he wants the Stormtrooper or he finally gets a Luke Skywalker to fight Darth Vader. At least that's what has been my experience in the stores the past 6 months or so.

Vi Cit Tecum
05-16-2007, 02:45 PM
While you bring up the realitively small market share of GI joe and transformers how is it that their fan clubs can get yearly exclusive figures and yearly exclusive figure packs and vehicle repaints. Each year Gi joe club has a free figure given to all members at the convention they have a 20 or so pack of exclusive figures and usually a couple of repaints. If the market share is that low why is Hasbro doing it for these lines making a small profit but not doing it for the Star Wars line which has a much larger fan base? Can you imagine if they put the effort into the Star Wars fan club as they do for the Gi joe/Tranformer we would get some nice figures.

JON9000
05-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Everybody is trying to read so much into the Corgi/LFL business and it is a joke. Does anybody here work for either company? Is anybody privy to some information not contained in the meaningless press release? The only thing anyone can say for certain based on the facts is this:

Corgi/MR got 20% of its total sales from SW merch. LFL wanted more for the license than Corgi was willing to pay. End of Story.

Now, we have everybody saying the value of the license is dropping like a stone, SW is dieing, LFL is greedy... blah, blah, blah.

You guys do realize the license is still good for a number of months, and all of this could just be part of a hard-nosed negotiation? Even if it is not, LFL and Corgi may just have differing opinions on the value of the license. The market will eventually decide.

pbarnard
05-16-2007, 04:28 PM
While you bring up the realitively small market share of GI joe and transformers how is it that their fan clubs can get yearly exclusive figures and yearly exclusive figure packs and vehicle repaints. Each year Gi joe club has a free figure given to all members at the convention they have a 20 or so pack of exclusive figures and usually a couple of repaints. If the market share is that low why is Hasbro doing it for these lines making a small profit but not doing it for the Star Wars line which has a much larger fan base? Can you imagine if they put the effort into the Star Wars fan club as they do for the Gi joe/Tranformer we would get some nice figures.

Because those fan clubs (really the same organization) lease the molds from Hasbro and have to return them after a production run. Hasbro is not making them. Neither figure is really free as it is included in the price of membership.

The Star Wars Fanclub has to appeal to more than just figure collectors. It has to appeal to everything from films, books, figures, legos, high end stuff.

jedi master sal
05-17-2007, 12:22 PM
And so there should have been a SW Hasbro toy club....

But some will agrue it's because of the license fees. Hasbro ALREADY paid for that with money and stocks. So they wouldn't need to pay for it again.

I dunno, I'm getting more and more tired talking about the same ol' crap everyday. Hasbro should have done this, LFL should have done that.

Even were one of us, who thinks we know better, to get into a position at Hasbro to make a difference, I think you'd still see that your hands would be tied by the highest executives.

We have such a skewed look at this because we are collectors. I agree I'd like to see such and such figure, or there should have been a club, etc. But this is all really too late now. Like it or no, SW is winding down. It may not seem like that right now, but give it two years and come back here and see what it's like. The tv show isn't going to keep the line going and once it's done, there's nothing else. NOTHING. Sure fan interest will be there, but how much more of this crap can we buy and have room for?

Myself, I've got a 10X25 storage unit filled and my two bedroom apartment is getting filled back up again with stuff in boxes.

This isn't depressing, it's exhausting. Stopping collecting is looking better and better all the time.

Tycho
05-17-2007, 05:40 PM
For me, I look forward to freeing up my toy-buying fund to put in thousands if necessary towards building my Star Destroyer and Jabba Sailbarge for my figures (and plenty of other diorama work).

I have a list of things I need like the AT-TE and Owen, Beru, and Cliegg figures and I'll buy them if and when they become available.

I won't say I'm leaving or quitting the hobby. I just may be "restructuring" my participation in it. I agree it's too late to sell me troop builder battle packs or my military line I propose. I have about all the troops I require. But it might earn and keep fresh blood in the hobby by making it easier for those not habit prone like we've been for 30 years.

jedi master sal
05-17-2007, 06:33 PM
For me, I look forward to freeing up my toy-buying fund to put in thousands if necessary towards building my Star Destroyer and Jabba Sailbarge for my figures (and plenty of other diorama work).

I have a list of things I need like the AT-TE and Owen, Beru, and Cliegg figures and I'll buy them if and when they become available.

I won't say I'm leaving or quitting the hobby. I just may be "restructuring" my participation in it. I agree it's too late to sell me troop builder battle packs or my military line I propose. I have about all the troops I require. But it might earn and keep fresh blood in the hobby by making it easier for those not habit prone like we've been for 30 years.

Habit prone! I take exception to that remark. Well I would if it wasn't true.

Yeah, Like I've been saying for awhile now, my focus will be less on buying, especially army builders, and more on dioramas, buying a house (to fit all this crap-heh), and other "real life" things.

JON9000
05-18-2007, 01:32 PM
And so there should have been a SW Hasbro toy club....

But some will agrue it's because of the license fees. Hasbro ALREADY paid for that with money and stocks. So they wouldn't need to pay for it again.

I dunno, I'm getting more and more tired talking about the same ol' crap everyday. Hasbro should have done this, LFL should have done that.

Even were one of us, who thinks we know better, to get into a position at Hasbro to make a difference, I think you'd still see that your hands would be tied by the highest executives.

We have such a skewed look at this because we are collectors. I agree I'd like to see such and such figure, or there should have been a club, etc. But this is all really too late now. Like it or no, SW is winding down. It may not seem like that right now, but give it two years and come back here and see what it's like. The tv show isn't going to keep the line going and once it's done, there's nothing else. NOTHING. Sure fan interest will be there, but how much more of this crap can we buy and have room for?

Myself, I've got a 10X25 storage unit filled and my two bedroom apartment is getting filled back up again with stuff in boxes.

This isn't depressing, it's exhausting. Stopping collecting is looking better and better all the time.

Would you want a collector club if it drove the price for figures up $2 for both club and retailers?

Consider this reality: the SW fiend is typically male, 15-35, single, which by extension means loaded with discretionary income. This description is what marketers refer to as the "GOLDEN DEMOGRAPHIC". The typical fan also will go to a retail store several times per week exclusively to check for figures.

Since toy departments are at the back of the store, it is necessary to travel through the entire store to check for figures. Often, the disappointed collector might assuage the pain of not finding a new figure by purchasing a DVD or some other trinket, or perhaps he might realize he needs some new underwear.

In other words... Hasbro can say to Wal-mart or Target: "Collectors represent a lot of double-dip opportunities for you, so it would behoove you to make prices reasonable at your stores." To which stores say: "Do not ever do anything to take this foot traffic out of our stores... or we will find ways to make you miserable, because your toys will no longer be worth the pegs they hang on."

So, finally, does everybody understand why buying direct from HASBRO is never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever going to happen? They won't ever tell you this, because nobody likes to feel like a commodity or some statistic in foot traffic, but that's business, gang.

jedi master sal
05-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Would you want a collector club if it drove the price for figures up $2 for both club and retailers?

Consider this reality: the SW fiend is typically male, 15-35, single, which by extension means loaded with discretionary income. This description is what marketers refer to as the "GOLDEN DEMOGRAPHIC". The typical fan also will go to a retail store several times per week exclusively to check for figures.

Since toy departments are at the back of the store, it is necessary to travel through the entire store to check for figures. Often, the disappointed collector might assuage the pain of not finding a new figure by purchasing a DVD or some other trinket, or perhaps he might realize he needs some new underwear.

In other words... Hasbro can say to Wal-mart or Target: "Collectors represent a lot of double-dip opportunities for you, so it would behoove you to make prices reasonable at your stores." To which stores say: "Do not ever do anything to take this foot traffic out of our stores... or we will find ways to make you miserable, because your toys will no longer be worth the pegs they hang on."

So, finally, does everybody understand why buying direct from HASBRO is never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever going to happen? They won't ever tell you this, because nobody likes to feel like a commodity or some statistic in foot traffic, but that's business, gang.

The big hole in your theory is that Hasbro does this already with G.I.Joe and yet you see stores stocking that line. We're not talking a whole line for the fan club, just ONE figure per year. Something that is a thank you to the fans of the line for being fan club members. Or as a welcome to the fanclub gift. Purchase the fanclub membership for $30 a year or so and that would cover the cost of the figure and some other small amenities throughout the year, then just recieve e-mail mewsletters.

Target and Wal*Mart are to smart to completely drop their toy departments. Why do you think they stay on top. Other stores that only have seasonal toy departments like Sears and JCPenny's just don't do as well. Not only because it's seasonal, but the prices are much higher there that Target and Wal*Mart.

Sorry I just don't buy the argument you laid out.

Also, in the case of Target I DON'T shop there for other things. It's rare when I get something there on purpose other than SW. If I don't find it there, I move on to the next store. I don't give myself the luxury of sticking around in stores, less I do buy frivilous stuff. It's one reason I have my fiacnee stay in the vehicle (she drives and I can't due to sleep apnea). When she comes into stores when I do toy runs, it's nerve racking to me. I want to move on to the next place and she might take a half hour or more. That gets me ancy because I'm thinking someone else might be at another store scoring the very stuff I'm trying to find. We try to keep shopping for regular stuff on the weekends only. Then she can spend all the time she wants to. It's rare when stuff comes in over the weekend here.

Anyway, again Wal*Mart and Target won't demand that of Hasbro. They can't. Yes both places can afford to take a small hit on toys because of that "double dipping" as you call it. But they NEED to have a toy department there. If not, they would seriously loose out on the foot traffic. Neither will take the leap first either because the other store would then market themselves as having a toy department.

They are locked in. Should the ever not hav a toy deparment, then TRU is just waiting there to take those customers away from them.

Oh and BTW, we can and have for awhile been able to buy direct from Hasbro. Are you not familiar with their online store? So there's another whole in your theory. If stores really had that much control over Hasbro, we'd have NEVER seen the Hasbro store website up, but we have. Nuff said.

Also to reiterate, it's not like SW is the only toy in town, as much as we'd like to think that at times. THere are plenty of other lines that do fine. Sure maybe not as much as SW, but eventually SW will die down and other lines WILL replace it. That doesn't mean WM and Target will close up shop on their toy departments. And certainly not over one exclusive figure through a collecting club.

JON9000
05-21-2007, 05:40 PM
The big hole in your theory is that Hasbro does this already with G.I.Joe and yet you see stores stocking that line. We're not talking a whole line for the fan club, just ONE figure per year.

I'm sorry, I had a totally different idea of what you meant by collector club... I thought you meant something like what is being done at Brian's Toys, or being able to buy troops direct in baggies or the other stuff you want. I don't see a problem with one figure a year, although I would have a problem ponying up $30 if I was a completest just to get that one figure plus a bunch of useless carp.

Also, in the case of Target I DON'T shop there for other things. It's rare when I get something there on purpose other than SW. If I don't find it there, I move on to the next store. I don't give myself the luxury of sticking around in stores, less I do buy frivilous stuff.

YOU do not. I applaud your restraint, however, building foot-traffic in our demographic still is an excellent idea, and I think you should concede the point.

Anyway, again Wal*Mart and Target won't demand that of Hasbro. They can't. Yes both places can afford to take a small hit on toys because of that "double dipping" as you call it. But they NEED to have a toy department there. If not, they would seriously loose out on the foot traffic. Neither will take the leap first either because the other store would then market themselves as having a toy department.

That is exactly what I am saying. Retailers and suppliers are like the Naboo and the Gungans, if you get my meaning.

Oh and BTW, we can and have for awhile been able to buy direct from Hasbro. Are you not familiar with their online store? So there's another whole in your theory. If stores really had that much control over Hasbro, we'd have NEVER seen the Hasbro store website up, but we have. Nuff said.

OH MY GOD... is that seriously your argument? That isn't a hole in jack squat, because I keep going to stores to find McQuarrie figures, and they don't seem to have them on the website, do they? I guess the website could keep me from going to the store to find Darth Tater...:rolleyes: Seriously, I can't believe you just said that, because the online Habro stores is wretched. Play fair.

TheCivilCollector
05-22-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm about ready to give up collecting for awhile. I'm having a TERRIBLE time finding anything from the two waves of Anniversary collection figures that have trickled out, and I'll have student loans to repay soon, so I think that about does it.

I think the thing about too much product is right. They're shuffling out new stuff faster than they can adequately supply people with older stuff. Actually, I guess it's pretty smart because they seem to be selling about everything except for the most radioactive of pegwarmers. It's starting to get depressing to walk to the SW isle of Target, Walmart, and Toy R Us and see nothing but Moff Jerjerrod and Lushros Dofine staring back at me. Good 'Ol 30th Obi and R2 have been making extended appearances lately, too.

I'd be totally in favor of a "SW Hasbro Collectors Club" kind of thing, even if it meant having to buy an entire wave at slightly higher prices. Gets annoying hunting down all this stuff they're sprinkling around. Almost like they're purposely feeding the scalper market.

Maybe we should all start bending the corners of the cardbacks of something so the scalpers wont want them. I did that a few times when "Slave Leia" first came out during the POTF2 lines and it was nearly impossible to find.

Tycho
05-22-2007, 04:43 AM
Oh no, TCC. I'm totally against damaging the cardbacks. The figures need to clear so that more will be ordered. I understand their pegwarmers are slow to move, but Lushros and Jerjerrod are out of my Target. Lushros is still a problem at the nearest Wal-Mart however. But with the change-up to a new SKU and cardback (these card changes make sense now in light of this), people accessorizing their TAC purchases - especially newbies - might clear the Lushros figures eventually. Who else will the leave-behind TAC Obi-Wan or R2 fight when most of the other figures are sold through?

The other thing is that as Lushros becomes older and older product and his sku is outdated, he may finally get clearanced.

Meanwhile, the TAC have been very slow in getting out there for all of us. Doing "store openings" (you know that means arriving before they open and waiting 10 minutes or so, right?) is the easiest way to get what you need. It's still hit and miss and you have to resolve it with yourself that you can deal with a week of misses if need be (but you can make educated guesses by the the look of the stock in your local store).

But you'll get everything you want eventually

waboritas
05-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Either that or order the case assortments through an online etailer (Starwarsshop.com or Entertainment Earth). $83 plus shipping for 12 figs is a lot easier and less expensive than trying to chase them down (time is money) and with gas prices going up, it is not fun coming home empty handed. I ordered Waves 3 and 4 from Star Wars Shop and am assured they will arrive on my doorstep whenever they are released in June or July. The army builders are the only duplicate figs in either wave which is great and really influenced me in going this route for the first time for a complete wave of figs. I'm undecided what my plan is for Wave 5, but we'll see when it is available for pre-order as the last couple months I've spent some righteuous dough on figs and vehicles and another $180 when Waves 3 and 4 ship.

Man I miss the days of $2 figures back in the 70s and 80s. Can't believe I packed all of my figs in the Falcon and sold it for $5 at yard sale in '86 when Star Wars wasn't cool any more. At least I'm reliving my childhood this time around and getting everything I wished for and more, yes, even the three prequal movies.

jedi master sal
05-22-2007, 06:20 PM
OH MY GOD... is that seriously your argument? That isn't a hole in jack squat, because I keep going to stores to find McQuarrie figures, and they don't seem to have them on the website, do they? I guess the website could keep me from going to the store to find Darth Tater...:rolleyes: Seriously, I can't believe you just said that, because the online Habro stores is wretched. Play fair.

Seriously, you DO have to check their site often. Army builders are tought to get, because many people want them, but I've heard of McFett being on there several times. Okay, so I wasn't quick enough on the draw to get him, but he's been there.

I've actually saved a bit shopping on Hasbro's site. Got two SW transformers for $9.99 each. That's $5 less each than in stores. Even with shipping I still saved. Another time I have a coupon and saved about $25. As much as it is frustrating to me being an army builder I understand, have come to accept and now even liek the fact that Hasbro limits figures to 2 of each. Otherwise, someone would just come by and wipe them out. Yes, they might not have all of the selections, but the tend to have the latest selections and that's what's important for me.

I also order cases of figs online. Cases cost me $75 + $8 shipping, so essentially the same as retail. Providing I want all the figs in a case, it's a great deal for me. That and I also help out my fellow local collectors by ordering more cases if they want figs too, whcih reduces shipping. 2 cases is only $11 or 12 shipping, I think 3 cases is $15. So when you average it out the cost per figure is actually cheaper then retail (including the tax as well). I don't make it out to stores too often now as I'm not army buidling as much. THough I know that will change to a certain extent when teh Legends army builders show up. But in the mean time, I'm actually happy with not going on the hunt so much anymore. Saving me moeny on figs as well as gas.

So yeah, I still have to hold to my argument. Not really trying to be hard headed about it, just saying, Hasbro's site is a somewhat viable alternative to going to brick and mortar stores. Think of it this way, it will only take you 5 minutes to browse their site to know if the have what you want. You didn't waste gas, and hell you could have done it in your underwear, ha ha...

(I really am being lighthearted about this, so please take it that way.)

-Sal

El Chuxter
05-22-2007, 07:51 PM
1985 all over again?

I just heard "Sister Christian" on the radio.

Spooky, ain't it? :eek:

TheCivilCollector
05-23-2007, 06:42 AM
Tycho: Yeah, I REALLY wish I had the morning time to hit stores, I just don't. I used to alot a long time ago, but even then I usually had more luck when the odd store put out cases in the afternoon (the Walmart and Target where I used to live in Sacramento were notorious for this). Truthfully, it's most discouraging knowing that i'd have to drag my behind all over town every morning to find a few figures.

Oh no, TCC. I'm totally against damaging the cardbacks. The figures need to clear so that more will be ordered.

I know, I was joking there (although I really did do that to a few Slave Leias). Way back when (1997 was it?), I originally got mine at a toys r us(the only bikini leia on the shelf). It had a bent corner so it made me think that scalpers didn't want it because it wasn't mint. I'm an opener so I didn't care. This thing almost drove me nuts trying to find it, and scalpers were charging $30-40 for it. So, when I went to a Walmart and saw six of them on the shelf from newly-opened cases, I bent the corners on three so others might get the same chance. At the time I considered it instant kharma.

Think of it however you may, but I like to think of it as an "F-you" to scalpers.

Maybe I'm not all that civil.

jedi master sal
05-23-2007, 09:03 AM
....So, when I went to a Walmart and saw six of them on the shelf from newly-opened cases, I bent the corners on three so others might get the same chance. At the time I considered it instant kharma.

Think of it however you may, but I like to think of it as an "F-you" to scalpers.

Maybe I'm not all that civil.

Heh heh. I don't do this myself, but I completely understand. In my "fantasy" world of collecting, one part of it would be that everyone opens there stuff, so mint condition cards wouldn't matter in the slightest, so scalpers couldn't make money off of them. Then again, because of mint carded collectors, I've been able to pick up figures whose cards were damaged. It evens out enough for me.

Oh and another part of my fantasy collecting world is that I could find all the army builders I want at my local stores, but I've done okay there too with my network of fellow collecting friends.

Tycho
05-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Truthfully, it's most discouraging knowing that i'd have to drag my behind all over town every morning to find a few figures.

Part of that is like the thrill of a scavenger hunt. It's cool when there are other people there who share the same interests as you do (collectors, not scalpers). It's sad when you get a grown adult who will be "a runner" when the doors open.

El Chuxter
05-23-2007, 10:51 AM
You're motorin'!

What's your price for flight?

And finding Mr Right?

You'll be alone tonight.

MOTORIN'!!!

TheCivilCollector
05-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Oh and another part of my fantasy collecting world is that I could find all the army builders I want at my local stores...

Hehe, that's awesome- I have this mental image of you turning the corner into the action figure isle and seeing nothing but clones piled six to a peg filling up the whole isle all the way to the ceiling. Light rays illuminating the spectacle and angels singing "hallelujah" as you drop to your knees and raise your arms in triumph.

jedi master sal
05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Hehe, that's awesome- I have this mental image of you turning the corner into the action figure isle and seeing nothing but clones piled six to a peg filling up the whole isle all the way to the ceiling. Light rays illuminating the spectacle and angels singing "hallelujah" as you drop to your knees and raise your arms in triumph.

Yeah, that about sums it up.