PDA

View Full Version : Is this the end???

DarthQuack
05-15-2007, 07:18 PM
After reading the newsbot about Corgi/Master Replicas not having the license for 2008, does that mean this is the last year of F/X Sabers and other fun goodies???? If so I need to get that damn Maul saber now sooner than later....

bigbarada
05-15-2007, 07:26 PM
I guess now we'll never see a Biker Scout pistol.:cry:

JediTricks
05-15-2007, 08:27 PM
This is totally unacceptable! What the hell is up with this, is this just Corgi trying to use the press to get Lucas to sign a contract more in their favor, or are really they throwing in the towel? Either way, it's a totally horrible decision and I cannot believe how quickly Corgi has ruined MR. I am unbelievably disappointed in this turn of events. If it weren't for SW, there wouldn't even be an MR! Damn you Corgi! I'd consider a Corgi boycott, but they have made it so difficult to get their other products anyway that it's not even worth mention. :upset: :mad:

Val Da Car
05-15-2007, 10:26 PM
I want the Yoda & Obi FX sabers...so I had better get them..and soon

decadentdave
05-15-2007, 10:57 PM
This is totally unacceptable! What the hell is up with this, is this just Corgi trying to use the press to get Lucas to sign a contract more in their favor, or are really they throwing in the towel? Either way, it's a totally horrible decision and I cannot believe how quickly Corgi has ruined MR. I am unbelievably disappointed in this turn of events. If it weren't for SW, there wouldn't even be an MR! Damn you Corgi! I'd consider a Corgi boycott, but they have made it so difficult to get their other products anyway that it's not even worth mention. :upset: :mad:

After Steve Dymzo left the company, MR really went downhill in how they marketed Star Wars products. They were not doing well off financially which is why they branched out into Disney with the POTC licenses and such and merged with Corgi. I had been hearing that last year would make or break the company and it seems they broke and could not pony up to Lucasfilm's demands. I remember when Lucasfilm awarded them the license they were hesitant to give it to another company like Icons. MR has produced some extraordinary products but their marketing has really suffered. They really dropped the ball on some things and I think Lucasfilm was aware of this so when the contract renewal came up they deliberately set the expectations too high knowing full well MR could not provide them so that they could take the license elsewhere. Sideshow Collectibles is the logical candidate since they already have a positive working relationship with Lucasfilm and they have done 1:1 prop replicas and can transition the license smoothly.

Umbra
05-15-2007, 11:32 PM
While I have never bought any MR items due to financial issues, I've always admired them form afar. therefor, I'm quite sad at this announcement as well. I had hoped that they would make the small scale version of Jango Fett's blasters, which could very well have been my first purchase. Always wanted to have one of their full sized models, but poor college student =/

Tycho
05-16-2007, 12:12 AM
My dream product was a TPM Obi-Wan Kenobi Force FX Lightsaber as most everyone here knows.

For sparring / dueling purposes, that is the ideal saber for very practical reasons.

Now it sure doesn't look good. I loved MR and the people who worked with them - especially Amy @ MR Customer Care.

If SideShow takes over their line, maybe they'd also hire over MR staff so they could leave Corgi altogether and people with the prop replica know-how would still be producing virtually the same product line items (Force FX sabers for example).

Dang this is really disheartening news.

decadentdave
05-16-2007, 12:58 AM
While I have no doubt that the license will transition to someone like SSC, I think it's a good thing that a licensor stood up to the greedy demands of Luca$film. Can you imagine if Hasbro finally decided to dump $tar War$? The license may not be as lucrative as it once was now that the films are over and the hype has diminished. I'm already seeing the impact on sales at retail. Now Luca$film has been raising their prices on everything trying to squeeze every penny they can get and it's starting to backfire. It's time for a Trade Federation blockade of the Imperial Luca$film empire. lol

JON9000
05-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Drats, now I will never see the Master Replicas 1:1 scale Chance Cube, to be used anytime I needed to let fate decide.

jedi master sal
05-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Drats, now I will never see the Master Replicas 1:1 scale Chance Cube, to be used anytime I needed to let fate decide.

"I just happen to have a chance cube..."

DarthQuack
05-16-2007, 11:26 AM

I'll sell you a die that I painted last night for $10000.

Jayspawn
05-16-2007, 02:21 PM
I agree with the above statement. Steve Dysmo and and Master Replicas were one of the best things to happen to Star Wars Marketing. The news is very sad and outragous!

I knew the Corgi merger wasnt good news. Its my belief the new Corgi/MR CEO has ideals which conflict with Lucasfilms. In this business, Lucasfilm has the final word and I believe he thinks otherwise. I'm hoping in light, that Corgi/MR will decide to go to bat with Lucasfilm by years end. But thats a hope.

However I have enjoyed buying many of Master Replicas over the years, interacting with their staff. I've always been very excited recieving that clean black box with a fresh new replica wrapped inside. If this is indeed the end of SW Replicas (for now I hope) I am very happy and content with the Master Replica collection I have accumulated. While there are still lots of choice products and replicas that could still be made and it seems that many highly anticipated future products will never see the light of day -Corgi seems to have caused the end.

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
This pretty much ruins the mini-helmets line too since it was just about to kick off, way to go Corgi!

I wonder what the mood is going to be like at the Celebration 4 MR party.

Jayspawn
05-16-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm going to the Master Replicas Party -I'm kind of curious myself. Lots booze.

And get this -MR is dropping out of the Celebration too! Another big dissapointment.

Tycho
05-16-2007, 10:36 PM
And get this -MR is dropping out of the Celebration too! Another big dissapointment.

They are?! Darn. Their parties were always one of the best parts of Celebration / Comic Cons.

jedi master sal
05-17-2007, 10:45 AM
They are?! Darn. Their parties were always one of the best parts of Celebration / Comic Cons.

Agreed. We (SSG members) had lots of fun partying with them at CIII. We had the scoop on lots of stuff because of that time partying with them. Regardless of which direction the company goes, there's lots of good people that worked/work for them. I hope it goes well for all those folks.

DarthQuack
05-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Has anyone gotten the Yoda F/X saber at all? Got mine today, and I want to take off the stickers, but they're leaving the sticky residue....any hints how to avoid this? Thanks.

Tycho
05-21-2007, 10:41 AM
I just kept rubbing mine. A little bit at a time. In a week or so, I had no residue.

decadentdave
05-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Get some Goo-Gone from an office supply store.

DarthQuack
05-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I peeled it off slowly and got most of it, and the other stuff I just used the back of the sticker to get the rest off....Haven't tried to get the piece off near the on/off switch yet.

K M Toydarian
05-22-2007, 12:26 AM
In lieu of the end of an era, I am really looking into catching up on mini sabers. I picked up a bunch when Tuesday Morning and Fry's had them for 10 bucks, and now have a good collection.
I think I need to get the full CS Darth Maul Saber now. What do you guys think of it? A good addition. I thought about getting the 2007 CS Qui Gon and then being able to order Maul for $50 shipped.

Also, does anyone think that you could use the CS 10% off on the upcoming Wedge helmet? I was really looking forward to getting that one this week as I love the Riddell line.

DarthQuack
05-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Since I sold a buttload of wrestling tapes on ebay I went ahead and purchased the Darth Maul Dual F/SX saber...

Tycho
05-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Since I sold a buttload of wrestling tapes on ebay I went ahead and purchased the Darth Maul Dual F/SX saber...

You'll like it. Now hide any expensive and breakable lamps in your home before it arrives :D

JediTricks
05-24-2007, 02:44 AM
Yeah, the double saber is SO much more difficult to use in an apartment, it's the natural enemy of nicknacks and sanity, but it's great fun once you get it (I explained this a little more in my review of it :p). If you have a wide open room with high ceilings, you'll have no problems.

Val Da Car
05-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah, the double saber is SO much more difficult to use in an apartment, it's the natural enemy of nicknacks and sanity, but it's great fun once you get it (I explained this a little more in my review of it :p). If you have a wide open room with high ceilings, you'll have no problems.

I prefer to go outdoors at dusk for all of the neighbors to enjoy

:thumbsup:

DarthQuack
05-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Yea...I was doing that tonight with my Yoda saber....that is a freaking fun saber to exercise with if you may, or "use" the force with....great durability to spin it around and just hack at stuff.

JON9000
05-30-2007, 02:17 PM
truly, how much more of the big stuff was there to do? We had the weapons of most of the main characters. I think MR props had really just run its course. There's only so big a market for the Emperor's Cane.

Tycho
05-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Obi-Wan's FX saber from TPM / AOTC*****
Qui-Gon's FX saber from TPM
Anakin's FX saber from AOTC
Dooku's FX saber from AOTC / ROTS (if they can engineer it)
Palpatine's FX saber from ROTS (if they can engineer it)

***I must have this one.

I didn't pay as much attention to the scaled replicas or prop replicas. The FX ones were my thing.

DarthQuack
05-30-2007, 05:20 PM
I would have liked to see a Sidious saber made myself...

stillakid
05-30-2007, 05:33 PM
I guess now we'll never see a Biker Scout pistol.:cry:

Fly too fast through a Redwood forest and wait to get pulled over. Then you'll see a Biker Scout pistol. :D

I bought one from a customizer a few years ago. It's one of my favorite pieces in the collection. Looks good with the Don Post Deluxe Scout helmet. But yeah, it would be nice to get a replica molded from a realie at some point.

JediTricks
06-03-2007, 11:50 PM
First off, I need to make a correction in regards to Corgi, it turns out Corgi didn't ruin the Master Replicas thing, MR is the one who pushed for the merger and MR's CEO Michael Cookson is now the CEO of Corgi, so it is essentially MR who is in charge of those negotiations with LFL.

Secondly, and this may be off base, but during CIV, I got the sense LFL was an active participant in the end of the license, perhaps that they wanted something more than MR/Corgi could give or what I don't know, but it took 2 to tango here.

Finally, at the MR party after the convention, Cookson ended his comments hopeful that they'd be able to return to the license after this one was up. Now, maybe it was just wishful thinking, or maybe it was to keep all those loyal MR customers at the party buying product till Dec 31st, but I want to believe that while the negotiations are over for now, perhaps LFL will return to MR next year anyway.

plasticfetish
06-04-2007, 01:08 AM
...eh, who cares? When do they start making James Bond props anyway? ;)

Tycho
06-04-2007, 06:43 AM

I care! I want an FX Obi-Wan Kenobi saber from TPM.

I want it! I want it! I want it!

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Another company has that license, I believe, and isn't doing anything good with it.

DarthQuack
06-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Just wondering who out there has gotten a blue saber, I'd like to get at least one of each color for my collection, so far I have the Yoda, Luke ROTJ, Vader, and Maul Dual...I'd like to get the Windu and then I'm trying to decided with blue one to get, any opinions are appreciated.

boshar kussc
06-06-2007, 12:51 PM
I just kept rubbing mine. A little bit at a time. In a week or so, I had no residue.

Did you rub it slowly, or hard and fast? I'm curios because I purchased one too, and I don't want any scraches or marks on it once I'm done.

Tycho
06-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Did you rub it slowly, or hard and fast? I'm curios because I purchased one too, and I don't want any scraches or marks on it once I'm done.

Well, first I found the right website to add some stimulating ambiance. Something dedicated to Kiera Knightley (with pictures and video) works well.

Then I obtained some lotion and Kleenex to help me clean up the residue.

I had to rub it hard and slowly actually. Hard and fast is sort of sloppy. You really want to do a good job. Slowly does not have to mean softly, right?

I left no marks or scratches.

Darth Quack: I'd get the ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi blue saber - still available almost everywhere I imagine. I did martial arts for years and like to do sword forms or lightly spar with these. The control box on Anakin's is positioned too much in the center of the saber. It's still present on the Kenobi saber (which I don't own but tried it out at shows) and it is far down the hilt. This allows you to choke up your grip and maneuver the saber better. I value functionality more than asthetics though.

That is why I really want Obi-Wan's TPM saber which doesn't use a control box but a small twist button like on Maul's. If only they'd make it.

Jayspawn
06-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm trying to get pictures up from the Master Replicas Party at CIV, but the site doent seem to be able to load them. Blah!

JediTricks
06-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Just wondering who out there has gotten a blue saber, I'd like to get at least one of each color for my collection, so far I have the Yoda, Luke ROTJ, Vader, and Maul Dual...I'd like to get the Windu and then I'm trying to decided with blue one to get, any opinions are appreciated.As stated, ROTS Obi-Wan's saber is still findable in some stores. The ESB Luke one is the only blue saber I have, it's nice, but any of the LED blue sabers I think are worth getting.

I'm trying to get pictures up from the Master Replicas Party at CIV, but the site doent seem to be able to load them. Blah!Our pictures, here on ssg? What's it doing instead of loading the pic?

Jayspawn
06-07-2007, 11:00 AM
The file sizes are too big. I tried lowering them but I keep loosing resolution.

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh, you're trying to upload them. What image editor are you using?