PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed on History Channel

El Chuxter
05-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Just caught an ad on TV for this special that premieres on Memorial Day. There's a page at the History Channel website (http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=221476), but not much info there yet.

The story of Anakin Skywalker's descent into darkness and his son Luke's quest to conquer evil has spellbound audiences for 30 years. The reason for this is simple: the saga of Star Wars is universal and firmly rooted in the mythology and the political history of the entire planet. May 2007 will mark the 30th anniversary of George Lucas' space fantasy that grossed billions worldwide. For the first time take a profound look at the serious subtext behind Lucas' six film milestone. The influence of ancient mythology from Greek legends to King Arthur is visible; but also more recent historical influences, from the political rise of Napoleon to the machinations of Adolf Hitler can be seen.

The ad I saw showed footage from the ESB duel interspersed with two samurai dueling. It looks like it will be quite cool. There have been books on the subject, but to actually see it on TV should be a different experience altogether.

Rocketboy
05-16-2007, 06:07 PM
They actually showed the Samurai commercial for this before Spider-man 3.
Pretty funny and it was probably the only time I wasn't mad at a commercial before a movie.

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
I hope it's got new material, I've seen a few too many of these TV documentaries about SW over the past few years that have felt the same.

I just posted it in the news, thanks for the heads-up. :cool:

Phantom-like Menace
05-17-2007, 02:04 AM
I set my DVR as soon as I saw the commercial. It looks fairly cool just from that preview.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Gonna watch this tonight, then see if like many a HC program, it'll be available as a VHS/DVD after. Maybe there'll be outtakes, where a historian mentions the influence of the Japanese 'Samneric,' when he really means 'samurai,' then gives a hilarious allusion to William Golding's Lord of the Flies. :pleased: Ah... can't wait. :thumbsup:

Beast
05-28-2007, 11:31 AM
I hope they have a DVD available of it afterwards.

I'm more than willing to drop some cash on it, after seeing the commercials.

TeeEye7
05-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I have the DVR on standby. It's our son's 18th birthday today (user name cirrostratus on the boards....he's hardly posted), so I'll miss it firsthand.

A night of revelry is ahead (as well as a melted MasterCard......dinner for 10 at a Japanese restaurant)!

El Chuxter
05-28-2007, 06:17 PM
D'oh!! (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=35059)

:p

General_Grievous
05-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Just reminding everyone that it's on tonight.

2-1B
05-28-2007, 09:10 PM
The Tech show for the hour before Legacy looked cool...I only caught bits of it, will watch it on tape later.

2-1B
05-28-2007, 09:12 PM
The Tech show for the hour before Legacy looked cool...I only caught bits of it, will watch it on tape later.

Kidhuman
05-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Got the DVR ready too, its on now, but missed some of it. I have it taping all the way through midnight as I dont know if the Tech show afterwards is the same as on beforehand.

SplFrcsCWO
05-28-2007, 10:06 PM
It's on now and I find it rather dull. I didn't know Nancy Pelosi's views were needed to help my enjoyment of Star Wars.

darko666
05-28-2007, 11:47 PM
the tech show was cool and the Legacy Revealed was great. it made the whole saga seem more enjoyable with all the references it related it too.

General_Grievous
05-28-2007, 11:47 PM
You know, considering how hyped up it was, it wasn't that great. I read "Hero With a Thousand Faces" not long ago, and it pretty much covered the same ground. I guess I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read that book.

El Chuxter
05-29-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm kinda in agreement with you, GG, especially since the publicity made it look like it would be more based upon historical influences than yet another regurgitation of "Star Wars: The Magic/Power of Myth." (For instance, how the most memorable ad was entirely samurai interspersed with the Bespin duel, but the only mention of samurai was regarding the origin of the word "Jedi.")

Well done, though.

It actually made me realize why the prequels failed. The original trilogy always succeeded at three levels: fun action movies for kids, strong story for adults, and rich mythic connotations. The prequels never achieve more than two at a time (sometimes only working on one level), and it's normally the story that suffers. It's like Lucas tried a little too hard to get in the mythic references he wanted, and not hard enough on making the movies more rounded. So, I guess, on a purely symbolic level, they're masterpieces.

El Chuxter
05-29-2007, 02:12 AM
Well, they did have Newt Gingrich to offer the other side of the coin, and neither of the two got into politics.

Tycho
05-29-2007, 03:17 AM
I love everything having to do with politics. I can argue that point very well too. Just that I'll be edited if I do so in this forum. Just meet me in the Rancor Pit forum (this site) if you can handle it. I'm politically the intellectual equivalent of Albert Einstein's scientific achievement. Yup. Please call me, Master.

But in this forum, I can quote Star Wars. "If you're not with me, then you're against me!" - Darth Vader as a whiny 22-year old that might remind you of someone else well into his 50's. :rolleyes:

They showed the parallel blatantly with back to back clips in this special as well. I'm only discussing the contents of this show in this thread. :D

Good program though. It was very enjoyable!

CaptainSolo1138
05-29-2007, 07:46 AM
I thought the show was great. It was nice to see a television show about Star Wars that didn't involve either:

A) A shot of "Elvis trooper" :rolleyes:
B) People growling like Chewbacca to earn the affection of Peter Mayhew :rolleyes:
C) "Cinnamon buns on her head..." jokes :rolleyes:

I agree with Chux in that the OT had a deeper context to it with much more being meaningfully drawn from legend and myth and such. It is certainly much deeper than having a column of Clones and saying that its supposed to reflect Nazi formations in WW2.

Speaking of WW2, I never picked up on the color schemes of Vader, the stormtroopers and the Royal Guard matching that of the Nazi Blood Flag. Overall, it was nice to see an intelligent SW show done for a change and not a show that leaves you embarrassed to be a fan once its done, like that mess on G4 Friday night.

JEDIpartner
05-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I found the programme to be largely enjoyable. It was also nice to not hear George Lucas explaining the correlation between his film the and myths and legends of the past for once. With him, it always sounded like he was defending his choices. In this light, it was easier to digest and process the parallels.

Beast
05-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Agreed. And they defended Jar Jar's character. Woo hoo!! :D

JEDIpartner
05-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah... so, apparently, it's a matter of taste and execution rather than the role itself.

TeeEye7
05-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Wow! "Legacy" was downright scholarly in it's content! I feel like a frickin' PhD instead of a fan now! This by far was the best analysis of the SW content with reference to mythology, religion, and folklore that I've ever seen. Great presentation! :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
05-29-2007, 05:33 PM
I thought it was really well done, but didn't cover any new grounds in terms of the OT.
It did make me appreciate the PT a bit more, seeing the classic story influences which I hadn't heard about before.

bobafrett
05-29-2007, 06:38 PM
I taped it last night, as well as some of the Tech shows. There was one (tech) on at 2 am. It wasn't listed as being "new", so I recorded it also. Haven't had a chance to sit down and view it yet.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2007, 07:53 PM
D'oh!! (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=35059)

:pAre you saying that I posted a new thread when I should have searched the Forums to see if there was already an existing thread on the same topic? Should we create a new emoticon for that?

: Don'tPostANewThreadUntilYouHaveSearchedTheForumsTo SeeIfThereIsAlreadyAnExisting ThreadOnTheSameTopic: :D

History Channel website doesn't seem to have a listing for a DVD or VHS for this program so far. :( Will wait. Yeah, I could get a recorded version, but I like the extras you get sometimes from a produced copy.

2-1B
05-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Based on this show's POV, one might think that the Prequels had won some Academy Awards.

2-1B
05-29-2007, 08:24 PM

HEY that's my friend* you are ripping on. :mad:

Based on this show's POV, one might think that the Prequels had won some Academy Awards.

*MySpace Friend :D

General_Grievous
05-29-2007, 08:36 PM
I thought the show was great. It was nice to see a television show about Star Wars that didn't involve either:

B) People growling like Chewbacca to earn the affection of Peter Mayhew :rolleyes:
C) "Cinnamon buns on her head..." jokes :rolleyes:

I agree with Chux in that the OT had a deeper context to it with much more being meaningfully drawn from legend and myth and such. It is certainly much deeper than having a column of Clones and saying that its supposed to reflect Nazi formations in WW2.

Speaking of WW2, I never picked up on the color schemes of Vader, the stormtroopers and the Royal Guard matching that of the Nazi Blood Flag. Overall, it was nice to see an intelligent SW show done for a change and not a show that leaves you embarrassed to be a fan once its done, like that mess on G4 Friday night.

I saw that mess on G4 too. I agree, it did suck. Except for this part:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32798

Olivia Munn :love:

DarkArtist
05-29-2007, 09:12 PM
have it tape might watch it tommorow. the tech special before the Legacy special was all right but I hate when people study a movie and take it apart. I mean come on people it's a movie not real life.

besides if it was real life I would be a bad*** TIE Pilot with my own Star Destroyer and Sith Powers along with a kick*** lightsaber.

Kidhuman
05-29-2007, 09:30 PM
I taped it last night, as well as some of the Tech shows. There was one (tech) on at 2 am. It wasn't listed as being "new", so I recorded it also. Haven't had a chance to sit down and view it yet.

There was one before and one after the legacy show. I got both on DVR.

bobafrett
05-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I saw that mess on G4 too. I agree, it did suck. Except for this part:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32798

Olivia Munn :love:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm *sigh* :love:

Tycho
05-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Thank you for sharing that picture with us General Grievous. You don't know HOW that helped me. :D

bobafrett
05-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Around here they kept running the same Tech show, once before and twice in a row after the "Legacy" showing, followed by another viewing of "Legacy" then some paid programing then at 2 am the tech show, but wasn't sure if it was new or an older one.

General_Grievous
05-29-2007, 10:18 PM
I think it helped everyone, Tych. :D

SplFrcsCWO
05-30-2007, 04:05 AM
Well, they did have Newt Gingrich to offer the other side of the coin, and neither of the two got into politics.

I knew someone would say that. Newt isn't currently holding office and has spoken out as a fan of Star Wars. Pelosi's a fan like Romney hunts.

El Chuxter
05-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Um, political discussions don't belong in the TV forum here, or one of the mods will either delete the posts or move the entire thread. My point was that neither discussed politics, so it's moot.

If you want to bring it up, however, how ironic was it that Newt was there, since one of the biggest villains of the prequels was named after him?

And I'd imagine Pelosi was on there since she represents the area where George Lucas grew up and currently lives.

Tycho
05-30-2007, 01:12 PM
So strictly speaking about Star Wars, do you think our chances have improved that they'll make Newt Gingrich and Nancy Pelosi action figures? :D

JediTricks
05-30-2007, 11:39 PM
They had big banners for this all up and down the concourse at Celebration IV, and were handing out cool lenticular trading-style cards with the same art as the banners plus text on the back. Unfortunately, when I went home after the end of C4 to see the show, it was boring as hell, covered a ton of already-trodden ground, and didn't deal with almost any of the stuff the advertising was suggesting. I was very disappointed in this, it was like an unfunny version of one of those VH1 "I love the ______" shows where they spend too much time hearing from a dozen people about 1 thing rather than talking about more things.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
If you want to bring it up, however, how ironic was it that Newt was there, since one of the biggest villains of the prequels was named after him?Nute might also be a reference to Knute Rockne, since Ronald Reagan portrayed him, and Gunray is a reversal of the syllables of Reagan.

This was a good show, but I was thinking it was going to cover more than just the Joseph Campbell hero's journey stuff. Maybe I overlooked it, but I was expecting them to show more comparisons between the Jedi and samurai, shaolin and the religion. I also thought it might show more of the various movies and such that Lucas borrowed from. There were a few mentions and references, but it mostly stuck to the various aspects of the mythical archetypes. I've seen and heard a lot of that before, but some stuff was new to me.

Phantom-like Menace
06-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I was really looking forward to samurai and Arthurian legend and barely got any of that. It would have been pretty cool to get something different.

JimJamBonds
06-02-2007, 11:12 AM
The Tech thing I thought was a 'meh' the Legacy show from what I saw I liked. Like JP said it was nice to hear somebody other then Lucas talk about it.

El Chuxter
06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I actually thought the Tech special was better than Legacy.

BTW, total speculation on my part, but my guess is they're not selling DVDs because LFL owns some of the rights. Both shows ended with the Lucasfilm logo.

Kidhuman
06-03-2007, 09:00 PM
I still havent watched this yet, but have watched tech which I thought was great

Mad Slanted Powers
06-03-2007, 09:03 PM
They are on again tonight for those that missed it and didn't tape it. I think they have been on a few times since last week, and probably will be again.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I actually thought the Tech special was better than Legacy.

BTW, total speculation on my part, but my guess is they're not selling DVDs because LFL owns some of the rights. Both shows ended with the Lucasfilm logo.I felt the Tech show was a good lead-in and complimentary, but the Legacy Revealed perhaps could've been a tad shorter.

As to the rights, I figured that'd be the case, but I hoped and hoped and asked Santa Tooth Easter Wizard to bring me one... :cry:

JediTricks
06-03-2007, 11:37 PM
You know, considering how hyped up it was, it wasn't that great. I read "Hero With a Thousand Faces" not long ago, and it pretty much covered the same ground. I guess I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read that book.I haven't read it, but I felt the same way, so many books and even websites about SW have covered that ground already, they didn't deliver much new to say.

I'm kinda in agreement with you, GG, especially since the publicity made it look like it would be more based upon historical influences than yet another regurgitation of "Star Wars: The Magic/Power of Myth." (For instance, how the most memorable ad was entirely samurai interspersed with the Bespin duel, but the only mention of samurai was regarding the origin of the word "Jedi.")Yeah, or the X-wing from the WWII fighter, or Yoda from the Buddha statue (or was it a Hindu statue? I forget the ad), they really didn't cover the ground they made it seem like they would, instead regurgitating what we've already seen said.

It actually made me realize why the prequels failed. The original trilogy always succeeded at three levels: fun action movies for kids, strong story for adults, and rich mythic connotations. The prequels never achieve more than two at a time (sometimes only working on one level), and it's normally the story that suffers. It's like Lucas tried a little too hard to get in the mythic references he wanted, and not hard enough on making the movies more rounded. That's very true, and also I don't think he really understands what he's trying to say in terms of the references, he's got these complicated modern statements but no connection to the deeper meanings. And there's just no backstory to the TPM, it doesn't talk about what came before, it doesn't show what came before, because it IS the filler that Lucas wrote to help him write the OT and never meant to be shown. Finally, he also doesn't keep it lighthearted the way the OT is, so instead of feeding us our medicine with a spoonful of sugar the way the classic myths did, he tries to cram a bottle of Robitussin down our throats to convince us to try a little sugar.

El Chuxter
06-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah, you know me and samurai. I was really looking forward to learning something about the connections with SW. Hell, they didn't even mention that C-3PO and R2-D2 were based on characters from The Hidden Fortress.

Jargo
06-04-2007, 12:03 AM
I made poopy.

I think he just stole a whole lot from Frank Herberts Dune. buggar the myths and folklore influences. it's all there in Dune. at least ANH is. but it's there in ESB and ROTJ too.

that is all....

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Thread merged! This explains why I thought I had responded already, there's 2 threads on the show in 2 different sections.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-20-2007, 08:32 PM
I thought it was at least a fun show. Watching Stephen Colbert talk about SW is always fun. :D

El Chuxter
06-20-2007, 09:14 PM
It was sort of odd seeing him out of character, though, y'know?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2008, 10:36 AM
I noticed that sw.com is now selling the "SW Tech" DVD, but when the heck're they gonna make the DVD for this "Legacy" series, dang it?!? :upset: I'd love to see what "extras" it'd have.

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Actual new information, maybe? :D