PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Battlestar (New and Classic) Ships Hasbro has left to do in Titanium...

Warstar
05-16-2007, 08:13 PM
I've recently gotten into the new Battlestar Galactica, having watched Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. I gotta say I am surprised I actually like the show- nay LOVE it- and now I understand why I subconsciencely (SP) collected the BSG Titaniums to open :)

There are still a few ships from Seasons 1 and 2 I would like to see in the 3" scale. I haven't seen Season 3 yet but I bet there are more ships that could be made in there, too.

Some ships I think Hasbro should make in the 3" series:

-The Blackbird (Stealth Viper "Laura")
-Cylon Heavy Raider
-Cloud 9 Cruiser
-Astral Queen Cruiser
-Cylon Basestar (of course!)
-Cylon Resurrection Ship (it might be too detailed to do justice to do it in 3" size though)

Any ships I forgot? Any other ships you'd like to see?

Can't wait for Season 3 on DVD...though I am sure it will be a while. The show was just renewed for Season 4 recently so it will continue!

Now- back to Classic Galactica- there are still a TON of ships Hasbro needs to do for this line including:

-Classic Battlestar Galactica (I can't believe they haven't made this yet!)
-Classic Battlestar Pegasus
-Classic Cylon Basestar
-Classic Colonial Tank (seen in a LOT of episodes)
-Classic Colonial Shuttlecraft (seenin a LOT of episodes)

So, what have I missed? :)

JediTricks
05-16-2007, 08:20 PM
That looks very complete.

Hasbro confirmed classic Galactica but not this year.

I'm still miffed that Hasbro says they can't do either Basestar because it'd be too much tooling - WTF? Just design 2 cast halves, screw 2 halves together and use that screwhole for the stand hole.

Warstar
05-16-2007, 09:25 PM
You're absolutely right about either Basestar- they'd need 3 parts at most (2 halves and possibly a center). They seriously said it would take too much tooling? Like Pegasus wasn't complex...:p

AndyW
05-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Am looking forward to the Classic Galactica, quite why we've got to wait so long for it I don't know. I've loved (new) BSG since it started and these titaniums are by far my favourite, don't get me wrong, I love the sheer amount of Star Wars Titaniums we get, but the BSG ones just feel more special, purely because we've had so few!

The excuse about the new/old Basestar being too costly to produce is such a load of nonsense. I'm normally fairly pro-Hasbro and its logic (with regard to repaints), but this is pure rubbish. I can see that the new Basestar could be very tricky, its shape would make it a very slim representation of the on screen ship, and it could look poor. The old Basestar however should be fine, its much more basic.

Slightly on topic, but have you guys noticed a sudden increase in the amount of Wave 1 BSG ships on ebay? Theres quite a few far eastern sellers and a fair few Stateside ones too. Have been tempted to get some extras, but the prices are pretty steep. Those Wave 1 BSG's are the only ones I haven't got doubles of, every other BSG ship I've got quite a few multiples of, and I'm kicking myself I didn't buy more on ebay a year ago!

mtriv73
05-18-2007, 09:31 AM
That looks very complete.

Hasbro confirmed classic Galactica but not this year.

I'm still miffed that Hasbro says they can't do either Basestar because it'd be too much tooling - WTF? Just design 2 cast halves, screw 2 halves together and use that screwhole for the stand hole.

You said "screwhole." lol

I agree with you. I can't see this really being a technical problem. I think Hasbro is worried that because the show comes/came on so late and they don't get the exposure they need to get kids interested, the stuff won't sell. But, the only BSG titanium I've seen sitting around for any length of time is colonial one. Fighters and capital ships disappear almost instantly. Also, I think there are enough of us out there who would buy 5 or 6 basestars (as well as the casual collectors who would buy 1) that they would be in no danger of losing money on it.

Warstar
05-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Our own forummer Britcit3 has something that proves the Basestar could be done...

Britcit3's Ebay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/BATTLESTAR-GALACTICA-TITANIUM-SCALE-CYLON-BASESTAR-LOOK_W0QQitemZ290118279811QQihZ019QQcategoryZ348QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

:p

JediTricks
05-19-2007, 04:04 PM
You said "screwhole." lol

I agree with you. I can't see this really being a technical problem. I think Hasbro is worried that because the show comes/came on so late and they don't get the exposure they need to get kids interested, the stuff won't sell. But, the only BSG titanium I've seen sitting around for any length of time is colonial one. Fighters and capital ships disappear almost instantly. Also, I think there are enough of us out there who would buy 5 or 6 basestars (as well as the casual collectors who would buy 1) that they would be in no danger of losing money on it.Heh heh.

I don't think Hasbro is worried about the kids aspect, they've committed to 1 BSG entry per wave now, and like you said, only the lame Titaniums sat around - in my area it was Colonial One and the Cylon Raiders.

Our own forummer Britcit3 has something that proves the Basestar could be done...To be fair, Konami has a much higher quality production facility and works exclusively in plastic and sells these things blind-pack in Japan only as gashapon which ensures higher sales. But yeah, Hasbro's excuse is pretty dodgy on this, and I think the mirror nature of the top and bottom halves should make it EASIER to do because you just sculpt 1 half, then copy the mold and cut a hole in the middle.