PDA

View Full Version : Very violent lightsaber duel video!

Tycho
05-17-2007, 05:32 AM
Warning: this gets graphic! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-is63goeBgc) But it is appropriate for all Star Wars fans.

It is Ryan vs. Dorkman 2 or RVD2 and rather professionally done (with Master Replicas? I'm not sure.)

This gets rather brutal but these guys put on one of the best lightsaber duel shows I've ever seen! This is the new one. I don't think one of them will be able to ever return for another sequel.

TeeEye7
05-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Kinda reminds me of our high school dodgeball games in the gym on rainy days! ;)

Very cool flick! Thanks for sharing, Tycho!

Kidhuman
05-17-2007, 06:26 AM
That was very well choreographed and a great video.

Jargo
05-17-2007, 09:06 AM
i enjoyed that more than the star wars duels.

DarthQuack
05-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Pretty sick video, I enjoyed it a lot!

Qui-Long Gone
05-17-2007, 01:08 PM
These guys are great...I hope they film these off the clock, although that job would be sweet!

General_Grievous
05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
That was pretty damn cool.

jedi master sal
05-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Very well done. They should submit that for a fan video. They'd do well I'd say.

UKWildcat
05-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Very cool indeed, thanks for sharing.

DarthQuack
05-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Well after watching this I went and ordered the Yoda F/X saber, cause I want to have fun with my sabers, and the fact that MR will cease to exist soon...Next week I'll order my Maul saber.

Jargo
05-17-2007, 08:13 PM
are you only ickle then?

bigbarada
05-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Very well done and some creative uses of the Force and the lightsabers themselves. I have to say I think that was more well-thought out than ANY of the duels in the Star Wars films.

I don't think that was done with the MR Force-FX sabers, since those will shatter if you hit them together too hard. It was probably just some fan made sabers with the light effects added in later.

Phantom-like Menace
05-17-2007, 11:05 PM
These guys are big on theforce.net. Yeah, the sabers are made by Ryan on a metal lathe, and for a very brief time he was trying to produce and sell them (though it's been a while since I hung out on that site, so he may or may not have started again). Ryan actually helped work on the Revenge of the Sith video game and I believe can be seen in one of the making of videos that was going around.

That same site hosts competitions for dueling videos every few months (once, maybe twice a year), and while there are the inevitable crap entries, some of them are awesome enough that it makes Episode II and III look amateur.

On a related note, everyone interested in fan-made lightsaber duels should check out Duality on theforce.net. The costumes are meh, and I'm not sure what's supposed to be going on with the plot, but there are two or three jaw-droppingly awesome moments in the fight.

Edit: I could have sworn I'd watched RVD2, but apparently I hadn't. I'll maybe comment more later, but just off the top of my head I'd say they used the environment well (really liked flinging the sparks off the concrete for distraction), and they never cease to be creative and amusing in their fights. I especially laughed when Dorkman (with glasses) was pulling the saber and Ryan was pushing it only to stop, move his hand and let the saber bust Dorkman in the face. Their FX also keep getting better.

Tycho
05-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Edit: I could have sworn I'd watched RVD2, but apparently I hadn't.

You probably saw the first one they did. Dorkman killed Ryan in that one, but a clone of Ryan came along and kills Dorkman immediately afterward.

They kind of have a Spy vs. Spy dynamic going on, don't they?

Phantom-like Menace
05-17-2007, 11:59 PM
No, I know I saw the first one and I remember it well. But I've also seen several other duels by Ryan (Dorkman doesn't do as many--if any) and a lot of test and/or instructional clips. It's more likely I'm confusing some of those.

Edit: Oh, and Spy vs. Spy . . . I can see that.

Edit #2: Apparently he has a Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Wieber

Ryan vs. Brandon is cool too if you can find it, and if you do watch it, yes, everyone gave Brandon a hard time for his hand position.

figrin bran
05-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the link Mr. Celchu. that was really awesome!

those definitely were not MR force fx as there isn't one a golden/amber colored blade in the films and also the MR sabers would've shattered the way these guys are using them.

Qui-Long Gone
05-18-2007, 05:12 PM
They kind of have a Spy vs. Spy dynamic going on, don't they?

Bingo! I was thinking that too....although I wish R and D had a little more humor in their bits. The action is outstanding but it's like watching two terminators with sabers go at it...then again Jedi have never been known to be interesting characters....

Darth Cruel
05-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I saw this a while ago and posted a link to the video in the film and TV section. This is without a doubt the best duel i have seen. It is better than ANYTHING GL put in a movie.

JetsAndHeels
05-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I particularly liked how the guy used his saber to "melt" the other guy's flesh..he stuck that saber all the way in to the hilt. It reminded me of Qui Gon using his blade to melt that door at the beginning of TPM.

Phantom-like Menace
05-19-2007, 08:44 PM
those definitely were not MR force fx as there isn't one a golden/amber colored blade in the films

The saber glow on Ryan's films aren't from light-up electronics. They're done later frame-by-frame on Adobe After Effects (I think is the name of the program he uses). During the actual shoot, the blades are aluminum rods taped with green or red tape just like in the movies.

Qui-Long Gone
05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
I particularly liked how the guy used his saber to "melt" the other guy's flesh..he stuck that saber all the way in to the hilt. It reminded me of Qui Gon using his blade to melt that door at the beginning of TPM.

I loved that bit too....the one good thing I'll say about TPM, it took sabers to a new level...sadly it didn't do the same for plots or characters....