PDA

View Full Version : "Vintage" VTSC now out: First Impressions

AmanaMatt
05-18-2007, 02:30 AM
I went to my local Target yesterday morning and was told these will be put out 5/27 only. I went back to the same store in the afternoon and got an another employee to bring them out - the late shift crew seem to be the 'rebels' of the bunch.

First impressions: these look darn nice, especially Snowtrooper, Bossk and Ig-88....I am very happy with this wave.

Update: I opened the Bossk and Ig-88...one word for both: WOW! The detail on these two is staggering - Bossk is a work of art. Ig-88 is actually a quarter of a head shorter than VTSC Chewie, so he is truly an amazing fig, and finally accurate height (taller than the vintage one). His back holster is kinda cool - the guns are made of a very hard plastic, but the blaster doesn't really fit...Amazing detail on this one...they never need to make new sculpts of either ever again, they are that good! The paint detail on these are subtle yet vibrant all at the same time - one thing I would say with this line, these are paint apps you would not see in the regular line - just too much detail. Just an example of what I mean: Bossk's tongue is painted well - something the reg versions did not have, not in this detail. There is no slop at all with these paint apps.

I have not opened my Snowtrooper yet, as I scored just one of these, but he does look very, very nice. I am waiting for my case from Newforce before I get/open the rest. Newforce shipped will be $2 less a fig than Target....go Rick on your prices!!! :laugh:

decadentdave
05-18-2007, 04:39 AM
Found these the other day, all except for Luke and Snowtrooper. Very pleased with these also. The sculpts are outstanding. Some of the best figures Hasbro has put out in recent years.

Funny thing is Wal-Mart still has a ton of last year's VTSC figures still sitting on the pegs gathering dust at $10 each. They really need to clearance those out under $5. If I see Greedo or Endor Han VTSC one more time...

jonthejedi
05-18-2007, 05:00 AM
For those getting that 5/27 story...that is not a Hasbro-induced street date. It is a projected reset shelf date, and as we've all found out...every Target approaches it differently. Tell them it's not a Target exclusive, but an "active" item that should be allowed to be brought out from the stock room & sold.

Kill Solo
05-18-2007, 03:01 PM
I picked up a full set the other day (with an extra Snowtrooper). I think they are all fantastic! I think the weakest of the bunch is the Hoth Solo. The bounty hunters are freaking awesome and look badass standing next to VOTC Boba! I can't wait till next years Vintage figures!

Kidhuman
05-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Funny thing is Wal-Mart still has a ton of last year's VTSC figures still sitting on the pegs gathering dust at $10 each. They really need to clearance those out under $5. If I see Greedo or Endor Han VTSC one more time...

The WM here has these for 4.50 each and they are not selling. Clearance or not, people only want 1 Han and 1 Greedo.

Droid
05-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I bought several Greedos on clearance for $2 each so that I could take that stupid cloth vest off of him and put a good plastic vest on him from a previous version. Worked like a charm and looks great.

Qui-Long Gone
05-18-2007, 06:17 PM

I was thinking that too....that's one of the things about these VTSC figs that makes them such a gamble....it's always impossible to find troopers because they're the first figs to sell, but regular figures like Han or Greedo collect dust after the initial excitement. I remember the ESB Lando sat for like 2 years in our local ToysRUs...

My worry is that in reaction to this uselessness, it will be even harder to get my hands on these new figures, especially Luke or Hoth Han.

*Is there a reason this pack is exclusively ESB?

JediTricks
05-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I found half of these last night, and posted reviews in the review forum:
- Han Hoth: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=35082
upshot - a "C" figure, passable but hardly outstanding.

- IG-88: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=35083
upshot - an "A-" figure, darn good but a few tiny issues.

- Bossk: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=35084
upshot - an "A" figure, unexpectedly awesome.

I wasn't expecting the UGH mail in sticker and tabs to be gold, and the tabs being generic was a surprise too. I really hate the heat-sealed collector cases, now they're all ugly and chewed up and pointy and don't close that well.

I suspect I'll buy duplicates of Bossk, IG-88, Luke, and the Snowtrooper.

Leia is from ROTJ, so this isn't an ESB-only group.

Jargo
05-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I want pictures dammit not words. so many words being wordy and so many.

AmanaMatt
05-19-2007, 02:02 AM
I agree with a lot of what you said, JT!

Ig-88 is a half head taller than the POTJ Ig-88 and just shorter than VTSC Chewie. You did nail it about the head ...it is under detailed - they missed the scope-thingy sticking out of his side of his head. This is the first Ig-88 fig to actually miss that. But as a whole he is a incredible fig - 'pretty cool' is way harsh, IMO :thumbsup:

Bossk is beautiful...I am glad he has no shiny arms...!

I have yet to get Hoth Han - aside from not having the Hood up head we all want, he looks good, but I will wait to get him.

Of all the figs in this line, Leia has no business being in the Vintage line - to me, she is a standard fig in every way, including paint, detail and articulation.

I want pictures dammit not words. so many words being wordy and so many.

I agree..we need pretty pics

figrin bran
05-19-2007, 02:16 AM
I'm glad to hear that JT gave the bounty hunters "A's" (a JT "A" would be an "A++" for the rest of us!) :p

i'll probably get extras of those two to keep carded/clamshelled

JediTricks
05-19-2007, 05:29 PM
they missed the scope-thingy sticking out of his side of his head. This is the first Ig-88 fig to actually miss that. You mean the one on the upper right, 90 degrees from the eyes? If so, they didn't miss it, they simply cut it way short, it's now a nub. I thought of mentioning that in my comments but I wasn't sure anybody would understand what I meant, shows what I know. :p

Bossk is beautiful...I am glad he has no shiny arms...!Why? He has shiny arms in the movie:
http://multimedia.theforce.net/museum/images/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Bossk/bountyhu.jpg
http://multimedia.theforce.net/museum/images/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Bossk/BOSSK1.jpg
http://multimedia.theforce.net/museum/images/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Characters/Bossk/bossk2.jpg

Of all the figs in this line, Leia has no business being in the Vintage line - to me, she is a standard fig in every way, including paint, detail and articulation.Wow, that's too bad, I'm sorry to hear that, I haven't found her yet. :ermm:

Thanks Figgy, that's just great. :p Then what's the "C" I gave Han Hoth translate into?

AmanaMatt
05-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Hey Jt,

As for the 'knob' for Ig-88 - are you talking that little thing the painted red? Is that what its supposed to be? All the figs the have done have had varying degrees of lenght to that piece, but that is too short!

As for Leia, I don't have her, just based that on pics I have seen, she doesn't seem 'Vintage' Worthy

TheDarthVader
05-19-2007, 08:00 PM
What is the retail price on these?

AmanaMatt
05-19-2007, 09:53 PM
What is the retail price on these?

$9.99 to $11.99 (the higher end price is Target, who has lost their minds) -$9.99 is the same price as the very first wave of Vintage two years ago.

TheDarthVader
05-19-2007, 10:14 PM
$9.99 to $11.99 (the higher end price is Target, who has lost their minds) -$9.99 is the same price as the very first wave of Vintage two years ago.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN. $11.99 is too high.

Let's see...Texas tax...$12.98 per figure. (I am from Texas too.)

AmanaMatt
05-20-2007, 12:49 AM
In anticipation of my trip to California tomorrow - (I'll see you all at Celebration...I am curious as to what some of you look like), I opened my Snowtrooper figure. He is very, very nice. Aside from the slightly pinkish white color of the helmet, he is a pretty great fig - a very nice follow up to last year's still incredible Biker Scout! Excellent articulation - I would have prefered universal joints for the shoulders, but that is just personal taste - he can stand neutral or in a cool action pose similar to the Vintage Pic. The Soft goods skirt looks great - and does not limit posing - I am soooooooooo glad Hasbro fixed the issues with the skirt, I cannot even tell you. This will be the hit of the year (unless 4 Lom really blows me away).

The Helmet sculpt itself is huge, but looks very accurate to the Vintage pic - an incredible improvement over the POTF2 one, which was decent for the time. This looks very in scale to the other Snowtroopers, too!

Veers
05-20-2007, 03:36 AM
None have hit around here yet.

Devo
05-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Why does everyone want another hood-up Hoth Han?? Sure the last one could have been better but the only time you see him that way is in exterior scenes where he's trudging through a snowstorm (hence the wide leg pose). This Hoth han, which I don't yet have, looks perfect for echo base scenes. I think its about time we got a Hoth Han with nothing on his head. Its been 27 years!

Have to agree on the Vintage Endor Leia, I haven't seen one flattering pic yet. Thay all make her look terrible, wide leg pose, dolly face paint apps and the poncho looks too much like Lukes.

Qui-Long Gone
05-20-2007, 07:37 PM
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN. $11.99 is too high.

Let's see...Texas tax...$12.98 per figure. (I am from Texas too.)

Tell me about it!

JediTricks
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Found this last night at TRU:
- Leia Endor: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=35091
upshot - Figure disappoints at nearly every turn, total loser entry in the Vintage line. I gave her a "D+" and even that feels somewhat generous.

Hey Jt,

As for the 'knob' for Ig-88 - are you talking that little thing the painted red? Is that what its supposed to be? All the figs the have done have had varying degrees of lenght to that piece, but that is too short!That's the one I meant, its placement is correct for the part on the real IG-88 prop, but yeah, that nub is WAY too short to represent the part.

As for Leia, I don't have her, just based that on pics I have seen, she doesn't seem 'Vintage' WorthyI like Action Leia figures, and this was the only Action Leia left they could have done as Bespin Escape Leia is close to perfect and just needs new articulation, and they just did Boushh Leia. So in theory she was Vintage-worthy to me, but in practice they tanked this figure hard, you were so right. Though her face isn't as much a doll face as VOTC Leia by the virtue of not having painted blush cheeks.

$9.99 to $11.99 (the higher end price is Target, who has lost their minds) -$9.99 is the same price as the very first wave of Vintage two years ago.Yeah, Target sucks for that, they've always had them at $12 instead of $10, the only good thing is it leaves a slightly better chance of finding the superior figures in the wave.

TRU has the VTSC2 for $9.99, that's how much Leia was and if I had paid a cent more I think I would have given her an "F". ;)

Why does everyone want another hood-up Hoth Han?? Sure the last one could have been better but the only time you see him that way is in exterior scenes where he's trudging through a snowstorm (hence the wide leg pose). This Hoth han, which I don't yet have, looks perfect for echo base scenes. I think its about time we got a Hoth Han with nothing on his head. Its been 27 years!The last hood-up one has that stupid leg pose and the hood looks wonky and he's got a dopey action gimmick which makes a peg stick out his behind. We barely see Han do anything in the hood-down version of the outfit, I think most of the time we see Han in Echo Base it's in the black jacket instead. Plus, this hood down is boring and was never part of the classic Kenner figure they're trying to invoke.

Qui-Long Gone
05-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I like Action Leia figures, and this was the only Action Leia left they could have done as Bespin Escape Leia is close to perfect and just needs new articulation, and they just did Boushh Leia. So in theory she was Vintage-worthy to me, but in practice they tanked this figure hard, you were so right. Though her face isn't as much a doll face as VOTC Leia by the virtue of not having painted blush cheeks.

I think if there's ever a forum on what character generally gets the worst action figures, Leia has to score in the top 2 or 3....she almost never gets a figure worth the $$$.

JediTricks
05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Even when they do a good figure of her, it's never a great figure, there's always something held back.

Qui-Long Gone
05-22-2007, 07:23 PM
So what has been the most sucsessful Leia figure? Or at least the top three?

El Chuxter
05-22-2007, 07:46 PM

Shoot, I think $9.99 is too much for these figures.

Qui-Long Gone
05-22-2007, 07:50 PM

Especially considering how quickly they become pegwarmers....why can't all figures be given the same care in sculpt/paint....all we're paying for is fancy card backs and a case....

AmanaMatt
05-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Especially considering how quickly they become pegwarmers....why can't all figures be given the same care in sculpt/paint....all we're paying for is fancy card backs and a case....

Tell Hasbro how you feel by not buying these then. That is the only power we as consumers have. I personally love them and feel the $10 is warranted.....all of this is subjective and not the point of this thread.

Qui-Long Gone
05-23-2007, 06:04 PM
all of this is subjective and not the point of this thread.

So why chime in with your "personally?"

JediTricks
05-24-2007, 03:56 AM
So what has been the most sucsessful Leia figure? Or at least the top three?POTJ Bespin Leia is the best overall Leia I own, best likeness, best scale (both to others and within the context of the character), best use of prepose, most accurate outfit. After that, it's a mishmosh of not-quites and near-losers, TSC Boushh, POTJ Dlx Slave, CTC Leia.

Shoot, I think $9.99 is too much for these figures.Totally agree, but I still keep coming back because some have superior paint and some have superior sculpts or articulation that doesn't come in the basic line any time soon and some I'm just a sucker about.

General_Grievous
05-25-2007, 05:19 PM
I've seen most of these (except Luke and the snowtrooper) at Toys R Us, but have yet to buy any. I'm a little short on cash right now. They look really good, though.

Does anyone else think that there won't be any more Vintage style figures next year?

mtriv73
05-25-2007, 05:36 PM
I've seen most of these (except Luke and the snowtrooper) at Toys R Us, but have yet to buy any. I'm a little short on cash right now. They look really good, though.

Does anyone else think that there won't be any more Vintage style figures next year?

I think there will be. Rebelscum is doing a poll now to see what fans want in this line for the future. I really like IG-88, Bossk, and the snowtrooper. The others are better than basic (I really don't like the color of plastic used for Leia though.)

El Chuxter
05-25-2007, 05:47 PM

Totally agree, but I still keep coming back because some have superior paint and some have superior sculpts or articulation that doesn't come in the basic line any time soon and some I'm just a sucker about.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but if they were figures that hadn't been done quite well three or four times before, I might be suckered in again. Leia's the only one of this bunch I'd be interested in getting a resculpt of, but by all accounts this one sucks.

Luuuuuuke
05-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I've seen IG-88, Bossk and Leia. Was only really, really impressed by Bossk. That's a great looking figure.

I'm starting to not be so into Vintage. They're too expensive and in most cases I don't really feel like I need to have the best version of that figure. I'll probably get two Snowtroopers and Bossk.

waboritas
05-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Saw them at Target for $11.99 today. Yawn. Will wait to see what is available when they go on clearance. I picked up the remaining 3 Order 66 packs that I didn't already have. They had all of them on clearance.

figrin bran
05-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I think there will be. Rebelscum is doing a poll now to see what fans want in this line for the future. I really like IG-88, Bossk, and the snowtrooper. The others are better than basic (I really don't like the color of plastic used for Leia though.)

at the CIV hasbro booth, they have a survey with the exact same questions, exact wording too so it's safe to say that Hasbro is really keeping tabs on the results.

i scored a set of all 6 VTAC's today...i've only opened Bossk and IG-88 but those two are awesome and 9.99 is worth it for them. i'd even pay 12.99.

QLG, not all every figure can have similar sculpt and articulation because if they did, Hasbro would probably only be able to put out maybe 3 waves of figures per year.

AmanaMatt
05-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I spoke with the General Brand Manager of Hasbro (the older gentlemen - I was told he was 'running' the show) and he was really pretty cool.

He said he could see the Vintage with two more solid waves of new stuff that people really want, so they do want us to voice our opinions. I told him I would love the line to continue for as long as these were new enough to justify the high price point.

I did ask the Hasbro scultor who did the Vintage Hoth Han what really happened with the alternative Head....he started off by saying 'let me see if I can say this without ruffling feathers' then explained he made the head to have soft goods as far as the fur and wanted it to always have the two heads, but wires got crossed somehow with the execution of that and Lucasfilme approving it, and it was not able to happen....they got a bit convoluted with the explanation, but he thought it will probably see the light of day down the road.

bigbarada
05-26-2007, 03:49 PM
I spoke with the General Brand Manager of Hasbro (the older gentlemen - I was told he was 'running' the show) and he was really pretty cool.

He said he could see the Vintage with two more solid waves of new stuff that people really want, so they do want us to voice our opinions. I told him I would love the line to continue for as long as these were new enough to justify the high price point.

I did ask the Hasbro scultor who did the Vintage Hoth Han what really happened with the alternative Head....he started off by saying 'let me see if I can say this without ruffling feathers' then explained he made the head to have soft goods as far as the fur and wanted it to always have the two heads, but wires got crossed somehow with the execution of that and Lucasfilme approving it, and it was not able to happen....they got a bit convoluted with the explanation, but he thought it will probably see the light of day down the road.

Ideally, I would love for them to remake all 96 figures in the vintage format; but I know it's not realistic in any way. Very few people would be interested enough to pay $10-12 for a super-articulated Lobot or Rancor Keeper. Plus figures like FX-7 and Chief Chirpa just cannot be done any better than the versions we have now.

So if we only get two more 6-figures waves, we can already wager a guess as to who will be in it.

For Luke, the only versions we have left are Stormtrooper Disguise, Hoth Gear, Jedi Knight and Endor Poncho (which have all seen a release/rerelease in some form in 2007). Considering that there's been one Luke in every wave thus far, I'm guessing that '08 will have Hoth Luke and '09 will have Jedi Knight Luke. Hoth Luke hasn't been updated since 2003 and the Jedi Luke is just too iconic to NOT be released in the vintage-style line.

We're getting a Luke Stormtrooper and Jedi Knight version this year; but the Jedi outfit looks like a disappointment already and the comic 2-pack Stormtrooper Disguise figure looks great (except for the paint job), so I don't see how they can improve Luke Stormtrooper for the vintage line. We just got an Endor Luke and he's still around, even though he was more of a kitbashed figure.

Han Solo only has two versions left, Bespin Outfit and Carbonite Block.

Leia needs an updated version of her Hoth Outfit and Bespin Gown. We just got the Boushh outfit and from the way she's pegwarming, I think everyone has had their fill of that Leia.

Lando could possibly get a new version of the General's Uniform or Skiff Guard disguise; but I see both of those as a big stretch.

Outside of the core characters, I would also like to see:
Soft-goods Jawa
Admiral Ackbar
Wicket
Paploo
Gamorrean Guard
Zuckuss
Dengar
2-1B
Nikto
Klaatu
Barada
Yak Face

LTBasker
05-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Ideally, I would love for them to remake all 96 figures in the vintage format; but I know it's not realistic in any way. Very few people would be interested enough to pay $10-12 for a super-articulated Lobot or Rancor Keeper. Plus figures like FX-7 and Chief Chirpa just cannot be done any better than the versions we have now.

Yeah, I'd like to see all 96 replicated but as you said some don't even need to be done better. Theres a ton already out that are "Vintage" quality that could just be recarded, they'd make really good exclusives I think.

I saw all 6 new ones today at TRU and I think they look great, especially IG-88. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough money to grab any but I'm not in a real hurry, I know they'll be around. I'm also not going to worry about getting multiple Snowtroopers, I know Hasbro will release that eventually to the regular line.

DarthBrandon
05-26-2007, 06:46 PM
While I liked the Vintage for the first two waves (I bought 3 sets each plus some Army Builders), the third wave is really unappealing to me. Bossk & IG-88 don't really seem to fit into the Vintage line IMHO & the other 4 (Han, SnowTrooper, Luke, Leia) are hardly getting me excited. I will purchase all of them once ((maybe a few extra SnowTroopers (loose)) to keep carded as this will be my last year collecting figures in large quantities. We have the Bespin Han with torture rack coming this year & it's super articulated enough for me. Other than that I really can't see any other figures I'd like in the vintage line, besides most figures this year are getting a decent amount of articulation. If anybody has any good ideas LMK & I'll respond with MHO.

Rogue II
05-26-2007, 08:10 PM

$10-$12 for a vintage style Jawa by himself would be too much. Now, if they really wanted to go that route, figures that have their "definitive" versions already made(like FX-7, Lobot, Cloud Car Pilot, Power Droid, etc.) could simply be re-released on vintage styled cards without the plastic shell as part of the Legends waves. They would probably sell better than any of the other Greatest Hits lines that Hasbro has put out.

LTBasker
05-26-2007, 09:13 PM
I'd prefer them to be HasbroToyShop exclusives, I like the clamshells but that way they wouldn't have to be heatsealed.

Rogue II
05-26-2007, 09:26 PM
I'd prefer them to be HasbroToyShop exclusives, I like the clamshells but that way they wouldn't have to be heatsealed.

I see your point. Part of my idea was also to drop the price down to that of a regular figure instead of the higher "Vintage" price.

LTBasker
05-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Honestly, what the hell are we paying for anyways? We're not paying for the figures, they reuse them too much in the basic line and even add more to them. We're not paying for the clamshells, we already know they can make clamshells for $1 each (and they're even larger than the vintage shells). We can't be paying more for the cardback nor the bubble, they're far more efficient than the 30th anniv. packaging.

I think we're paying for the fact Hasbro has said they're basically just filling the retail deluxe pricepoint. So if they were site exclusives, then...surely the price should drop anyways. Or they wouldn't and it would fail miserably.

This makes me want to moan and groan to a rep. personally, I wish I could go to Celebration. >_<

Rogue II
05-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Honestly, what the hell are we paying for anyways?

Good question. Today, I saw the new Vintage Bossk, Han, Luke, and Leia figures for the first time. I didn't buy them. It is difficult to rationalize paying $10 each knowing that there are still Vintage Greedos and Endor Hans on the shelf in some places around here.

DarkArtist
05-27-2007, 09:25 AM
so far I have only found the Leia combat poncho on the pegs, but my first impression is WOW. I think the figure is great and a nice addition to the already released Vintage figures. now if we could only get Hasbro to give us a better C-3PO in the vintage line we would be set.

AmanaMatt
05-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I do not totally understand the rationale 'I cannot justify buying a Bossk with Greedos still out there from last year.'

What does that have to do with this years? That is not a criticism - I just do not 'get it' which is cool -

Looking at Bossk, he is a way more detailed fig that we have ever seen from prior versions, so I guess for me, that extra detailing is how I see the extra $4 and justify it myself.

Rogue II
05-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I do not totally understand the rationale 'I cannot justify buying a Bossk with Greedos still out there from last year.'

What does that have to do with this years? That is not a criticism - I just do not 'get it' which is cool -

This week I saw Greedo and Endor Han in a few stores still with prices ranging from $6-$8. That reminded me that other than the Biker Scout, the last year's vintage figures made it to clearance (at Target and some Walmarts). I'm making the assumption that this year's figures (other than the Snowtrooper) will also end up on clearance. Sure, I'll fess up full price ($10) for the Snowtrooper, but I'm going to take a gamble and wait on the rest. Now, if it starts to look like that won't happen, I may panic and grab the rest. If I miss them, oh well. Chances are that Hasbro will re-release them.

bigbarada
05-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Once you open up Bossk and IG-88 and just take a look at the craftsmanship that went into the figures, it's easy to understand why they should be considered a premium format figure. This is a new benchmark for quality for the Star Wars action figure line.

Just the plastic that they use feels like it's a higher quality. I know the VTSC Biker Scouts that I own feel very sturdy and rigid; but the EP3 repaint with the camo deco just feels soft and rubbery in comparison. I'm thinking the upcoming rerelease of Boba Fett will be the same.

The paint detail on this wave's bounty hunters is just amazing as well. Much more intricate and precise that what we have come to expect from the standard line.

I actually paid more for Bossk and IG-88, I decided to avoid the headaches and just order them online for $16 a piece. They still totally blew me away and I have no regrets, especially considering how much gas I'll save trying to track these two figures down (the nearest Wal-Mart for me is 7 miles away and the nearest TRU is about a 40 minute drive). I can wait for the rest to show up in mass numbers to pick them up.

Sith Lord 0498
05-27-2007, 10:04 PM
You can read my thoughts on the VTSC Snowtrooper here:

http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/Vintage%20Series%20Snowtrooper.htm

In short, it's a top-rate figure and probably the best Snowtrooper we're ever going to get in this scale!!

Kidhuman
05-27-2007, 10:42 PM
I picked up a Snowtrooepr and IG-88 today. Love these two figures.

figrin bran
05-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Like everyone is saying, Bossk is seriously awesome. Nevermind Hasbro quality, it's Gentle Giant/Sideshow quality in terms of sculpting!

AmanaMatt
05-28-2007, 01:52 AM

In short, it's a top-rate figure and probably the best Snowtrooper we're ever going to get in this scale!!

Great review - those are fantastic pics!

DarthQuack
05-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Has anyone found or know if all the VTAC are going to be heat sealed? I remember getting some from Wal-Mart maybe the last time around and they were only taped.

AmanaMatt
05-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Has anyone found or know if all the VTAC are going to be heat sealed? I remember getting some from Wal-Mart maybe the last time around and they were only taped.

Those were quickly changed to heat sealed; this time, they are only heat sealed.

I had to take a pic with my new camera - these new Vintage figs are a very nice improvement

figrin bran
05-30-2007, 12:43 AM
i finally got around to opening Endor Leia and i think if anything, JT's "D+" grade was too generous, if you can believe that!

some criticisms that i don't think JT addressed in his review -

the neck post is painted a pinker shade than the head and forearms. it's very, very noticeable and very unsettling.

also the upper arms look too large. looks like Leia could bat cleanup for any MLB team!

if you're a MOC collector who picks up extras here and there for openers, do NOT buy an extra Endor Leia. and if you're a loose collector, you'd want to display it with the poncho on.

edit: just great. now i've lost her blaster. that's what i get for posting unfavorable comments.

They are sold out currently but hasbrotoyshop has a set of the 6 VTSC figures for $59.99. just keep checking and they'll be in stock within a few days or a week or two. remember to use the code "CELEBRATION" to save 10&#37; (expires 6/15)

jedi master sal
05-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Hey JEFF! (Sith Lord 0498)

Nice to see you here man. Haven't talked to you in awhile. Great review, BTW.

To bad you're not going to the Summer Social.

Well, anyway, nice to see you posting here. Please continue.

TTYL,
-Sal
(Jeff is a bud of mine through my state collecting group and someone for whom I've bought a lot of stuff from in the past. He's a good guy.)

Sith Lord 0498
05-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey JEFF! (Sith Lord 0498)

Nice to see you here man. Haven't talked to you in awhile. Great review, BTW.

To bad you're not going to the Summer Social.

Well, anyway, nice to see you posting here. Please continue.

TTYL,
-Sal
(Jeff is a bud of mine through my state collecting group and someone for whom I've bought a lot of stuff from in the past. He's a good guy.)

Hey Sal,

Yeah, Michele and I were all set to go. Reserved a room at the "Casa del Raspet", but $$$ woes put an end to it. Just fuel costs alone for the trip would be around $75. :(

Luuuuuuke
05-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Got three Snowtroopers today. May get just one more. I really like this figure. At first glance the hood-helmet looks kind of Muppet-like, but come to think of it, that's what the Snowtrooper's helmet really looks like in the movie. Great figure. Bossk may be the best though.

jedi master sal
05-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Hey Sal,

Yeah, Michele and I were all set to go. Reserved a room at the "Casa del Raspet", but $$$ woes put an end to it. Just fuel costs alone for the trip would be around $75. :(

Yeah, that really sucks. We went from Pittsburgh to Altoona and it cost us nearly $50 roundtrip. I don't want to do that too often. Heck, when the price of an airline ticket is better, or nearly so, than gas well, one has to wonder.

I'll miss seeing you and the missus. I bet she's excited about the Yoda/Kybuck fig, huh?

jedi master sal
05-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Got three Snowtroopers today. May get just one more. I really like this figure. At first glance the hood-helmet looks kind of Muppet-like, but come to think of it, that's what the Snowtrooper's helmet really looks like in the movie. Great figure. Bossk may be the best though.

Yeah, I have to agree Bossk is right up there. I edge the snowtrooper over him, mostly because I'm an army builder, and a smidge because I don't like the free standing collar thing around Bossk. I think that should have been attached to the costume.

But yeah, those two are the best of the wave.

But for the ridiculous seperation in IG-88s head at two points, he'd have been right up there with them. Still I'd give him the 3rd position, mostly for detail and articulation.

-Sal

Luuuuuuke
05-31-2007, 07:46 PM
I've been seeing a lot of friggin' Snowtroopers the last two days, mostly at Target. I think Target's going to find that $11.99 price is going to hurt their sale of VSTC. I saw the same two Snowtroopers at one Target I saw the day before.

I've gotten 4 Snowtroopers and I think I'm pretty much done(that's 3 openers).

I have not gotten Bossk yet, but I think at some point I will. I only got IG-88 right away because I gave away the only IG-88 I had years ago. The Luke looks kind of goofy. I can't imagine that's the best Bespin Luke ever made. That Luke makes me perfectly happy with my POTF Bespin Luke.

Leia... eh. Han looks cool. I've noticed the facial paint on him varies quite a bit though. On some, his facial features are pretty crisp. On others, he looks like he has eye liner.

General_Grievous
05-31-2007, 09:27 PM
I picked up the whole wave at Toys R Us today.

Luke- Awesome. It's about time we got a new Bespin Luke. Even though the head's a little out of proportion to the rest of the body. Still, he'll look cool next to Vader.

Han- Good, but mine has funny looking eyebrows. I think this is the first neutral Hoth Han, with his hood down and everything.

Snowtrooper- Along with Bossk, it's tied for my favorite of this wave. Finally, a good looking Snowtrooper!

Bossk- Like I said before, he's one of the best of this wave. I agree with Figrin Bran. This is definitely Gentle Giant quality sculpting.

IG-88- I like its new posability, and adding his blade was a very nice touch on Hasbro's part.

but then we come to...

Leia- Sure, it's passable. And it'll look good next too Endor Han and Luke. But for a $10 figure, it's subpar. This and C-3PO are the only bad Vintage style figures. But if you think about it, that isn't a bad track record considering there have been 23 figures in this collection.

JetsAndHeels
05-31-2007, 11:08 PM
I haven't seen any of these yet, but by reading your reviews (for the most part) I want to at least get Bossk and a Snowtrooper!!
Hopefully I will find some when I am out Transformer buying Saturday.

Kidhuman
05-31-2007, 11:37 PM
Grab IG-88 also Heelz. I think he is better than Bossk.

DarthQuack
05-31-2007, 11:40 PM
So if you want to get the coins and do the UGH with these you have to take the knife to the wonderful packaging?

JetsAndHeels
05-31-2007, 11:42 PM

I will whenever I see them. We just got POTJ here.

General_Grievous
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Has anyone been able to fit both the hood and the cap on Hoth Han's head without it looking stupid?

Kidhuman
05-31-2007, 11:51 PM
So if you want to get the coins and do the UGH with these you have to take the knife to the wonderful packaging?

I was able to get them out of last years with out opening the package. In the lower corner, I was able to slide my pinky in and grab it. IT does dent the corner, but thats about it. Other than that, open it up.

figrin bran
06-01-2007, 01:26 AM

the heck he isn't! but you should still get IG-88, Heels.

DarthQuack, if you don't want to open up the clamshells, you could see if anyone on this board doesn't want the coins and would be willing to send you the stickers and order form.

General Grievous, the VOTC Tatooine Luke wasn't that great

AmanaMatt
06-01-2007, 03:11 AM
Has anyone been able to fit both the hood and the cap on Hoth Han's head without it looking stupid?

From what I hear: no.

I will be getting my case this week and will finally open a Luke and Han (I may give away my extra Leia and just leave the one carded, she seems to be that bad)....once I get mine, I shall try!

Kidhuman
06-01-2007, 07:19 AM
If ya give it away, I will take it.

Sith Lord 0498
06-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, that really sucks. We went from Pittsburgh to Altoona and it cost us nearly $50 roundtrip. I don't want to do that too often. Heck, when the price of an airline ticket is better, or nearly so, than gas well, one has to wonder.

I'll miss seeing you and the missus. I bet she's excited about the Yoda/Kybuck fig, huh?

Yeah, I was thinking airlines would be cheaper at the rate it's going. And yeah, she's excited about the Yoda/Kybuck figure. I'd direct you to her collection page at Yodasnews, but since those pics were taken almost two months ago, the collection has quadrupled!!

No wonder we can't afford the trip...two SW collectors in the same house!!!

Actually, I think we might be the only official husband and wife MEMBERS of the PSWCS...

And back on topic, I found three unopened cases of VTSC at WM yesterday morning...store decided to leave an endcap full of rotting "Vintage" Endor Han and Greedo instead of putting the brand new figures out. :rolleyes:

Also, there was a case at Target as well, so they seem to be showing up with a little more regularity. I also took a longer look at Bossk, and that sculpt is downright incredible!!

DarkArtist
06-01-2007, 07:03 PM
so i have found them all at TRU with the exception of the Snowtrooper (figures) and after opening them I must say I'm not really impressed by the offerings this year. I mean IG-88 is an awesome figure as well as Bossk but the Luke is alright, Leia is so-so and Han is just bad.

I really like the concept behind the VOTC line but this year's offerings are just OK. Here's hoping that 2008 will give us better figures for the VOTC.

I mean I know that the original Luke and Threepio were bad as were the Tuskan Raider and Greedo from last year but I still think Hasbro dropped the ball on these guys.

darko666
06-01-2007, 07:14 PM
after opening them I must say I'm not really impressed by the offerings this year.

thats why i don't open them, i can avoid the feeling of being disappointed.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Wal-Mart finally had a bunch of these today. Fred Meyer has had the peg space for them for quite a while, but nothing appears to have been put out. What's funny is that they were marked down to $8.99 as well. They price will probably be back to $9.99 next week and by the time they actually have them.

Overall, I like these figures quite a bit. I'm not even complaining about Leia like everyone else seems to be. I will agree that she is not as good as the rest of the bunch. Han's hat/hood thing could have been done better, but I think they found the right color between blue and brown for the coat.

UKWildcat
06-03-2007, 01:52 AM
I saw all of these the other day at Target, but I didn't bite. I'm holding off on these. However, I will definitely pick them up if they go clearance like last years VTSC.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-03-2007, 02:05 AM
I thought that last year's VTSC were long gone, but I saw some at Wal-Mart last week. I think they were $6. The tin sets were only marked down to $20. K-Mart still has a couple tin sets and the price was $29.99!

AmanaMatt
06-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Somtimes I wonder if I am buying the same figures as the rest of you. If you find the new Bossk just 'ok,' its time to stop buying vintage figs. If that fig doesn't do it for you, nothing will in this line!

bigbarada
06-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Somtimes I wonder if I am buying the same figures as the rest of you. If you find the new Bossk just 'ok,' its time to stop buying vintage figs. If that fig doesn't do it for you, nothing will in this line!

I agree, if you're not impressed by Bossk then: 1. you're standards are simply too high for a $10-12 action figure line; or 2. you haven't really looked at the figure, probably just threw him in your shopping cart and filed him away in your collection when you got home without taking the time to really see the amazing amount of work that went into this toy.

I would put Bossk at #1 for the entire vintage collection so far. Even above VOTC Han Solo and the VTSC Biker Scout. IG-88 would be a close #2.

AmanaMatt
06-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Wow, Bossk is #1 for you, Big Barada....that is some reptile lovin'

Now that I think about it, my top 5 is probably like this:

1) ANH Han
2) Chewie
3) Biker Scout
4) Snowtrooper
5) Bossk & Ig-88 (I love them equally)

We have received some very nice figs in the vintage line, I must say. Personally, I hope to see Jedi Luke next year, and maybe some Skiff Guards.

Kidhuman
06-03-2007, 09:47 PM

I havent bought Bossk yet, but I cant see him being better than the 2004 version. Sure has more articulation, but I doubt it will be better. I might buy one to open, but have a set coming.

BTW, does anyone have extra stickers? I could use 3 if you have any extras. Thanks

AmanaMatt
06-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I havent bought Bossk yet, but I cant see him being better than the 2004 version. Sure has more articulation, but I doubt it will be better. I might buy one to open, but have a set coming.

BTW, does anyone have extra stickers? I could use 3 if you have any extras. Thanks

Have you not seen the pics? He is honestly light years ahead of the 2004 version.

General_Grievous
06-04-2007, 12:41 AM
I just hope Hasbro realizes they never need to resculpt Bossk or IG-88 again.

figrin bran
06-04-2007, 12:53 AM
I agree, if you're not impressed by Bossk then: 1. you're standards are simply too high for a $10-12 action figure line; or 2. you haven't really looked at the figure, probably just threw him in your shopping cart and filed him away in your collection when you got home without taking the time to really see the amazing amount of work that went into this toy.

I would put Bossk at #1 for the entire vintage collection so far. Even above VOTC Han Solo and the VTSC Biker Scout. IG-88 would be a close #2.

i agree. Bossk is the best they've done in the vintage collection thus far.

i think the head sculpt is even better than the one on sideshow's upcoming 1:1 bust.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-04-2007, 12:56 AM
I just hope Hasbro realizes they never need to resculpt Bossk or IG-88 again.

Indeed. I have more than enough IG-88's to represent each one in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story. I don't have quite enough to represent all the ones I had to fight in Dark Forces, but it's a good representation.

For IG-88 I have:

Vintage
SOTE vs. Boba Fett
POTJ
Repack in the 2003 Ultimate Bounty multi-pack
VTAC (plus I plan to get an extra to keep carded)

For Bossk I have:

POTF2
Repack in the 2003 Ultimate Bounty multi-pack
Saga 2004
VTAC (plus I plan to get an extra to keep carded)

Darth Cruel
06-04-2007, 01:15 AM
I picked up 2 sets at C4. Opened IG-88, Bossk, Snowtrooper, and Bespin Luke. My opinion about all 4 of those is pretty much equal. We now have the difinitive versions of those figures. They need never be made again with the exception of a battle damaged version of Bespin Luke, but that is adifferent figure to me.

The Bounty Hunter scene is shaping up nicely after way too long. The 3 difinitive figures we have of that scene are simply incredible.

figrin bran
06-04-2007, 01:37 AM
i actually think there were some things that could've been done better on Bespin Luke. the shoulders for one - just like with VTSC X-Wing Luke, they chose to make the shoulders angled off instead of rounded off. and the head sculpt, although it isn't bad, still isn't an accurate likeness.

General_Grievous
06-04-2007, 05:02 PM
The Bounty Hunter scene is shaping up nicely after way too long. The 3 difinitive figures we have of that scene are simply incredible.

I think you mean four. At least if we include the upcoming 4-LOM. The 2004 Dengar is also pretty good. As for Zuckuss, I still think the '98 figure needs no resculpt.

Darth Cruel
06-04-2007, 05:12 PM
I think you mean four. At least if we include the upcoming 4-LOM. The 2004 Dengar is also pretty good. As for Zuckuss, I still think the '98 figure needs no resculpt.

I wasn't including 4-LOM yet. He needs to be seen, first.

Here is a pic of Snowtroopers as they were intended to be.

TheRealDubya
06-04-2007, 06:16 PM
i actually think there were some things that could've been done better on Bespin Luke. the shoulders for one - just like with VTSC X-Wing Luke, they chose to make the shoulders angled off instead of rounded off. and the head sculpt, although it isn't bad, still isn't an accurate likeness.

I totally agree -- picked my up last night and love the general sculpt, but the face is just a touch off. He looks like Ryan from the OC, and with his mouth open, he looks kind of like he just caught a spike to the back of the dome.

The paint ap on the gun is terrific though and I really do love the body of the figure.

I wonder which Luke head could be stand in for this one...maybe I'll try the VTSC X-Wing Luke head tonight.

Darth Cruel
06-04-2007, 06:35 PM
I am not hung up on the likenesses. I just don't think it is even realistic to expect a perfect likeness on a 3 3/4" figure like this. Even getting it close is a matter of luck, primarily.

In my own mind...this is the definitive Bespin Luke. I do still want a version with the hacked-off hand, but a variation of this one would be great for it.

TheRealDubya
06-04-2007, 07:00 PM
I am not hung up on the likenesses. I just don't think it is even realistic to expect a perfect likeness on a 3 3/4" figure like this. Even getting it close is a matter of luck, primarily.

You're totally right and it really doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the figure at all. A 4-inch tall, mass produced plastic man has got to be hard to get 100&#37; on the mark. It's a damned good figure, but they (the sculptors) have gotten closer to Hamill with some of the other Luke figures.

Just seeing that Luke Bespin card at a Target yesterday made my week. I love seeing the old cards hanging in stores.

AmanaMatt
06-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Here a couple of Pics of Han - I like this one quite a bit, and compared to the last one, no comparison.

While the Luke Bespin face is not a great Mark Hamill, its a helluva lot nicer than the action feature one...I should have him tomorrow

JediTricks
06-05-2007, 01:50 AM
I picked up Luke Bespin just after CIV. It's an ok figure, I'm not sure what rating I'll give it yet, but it's not an "A". For one thing, I think the stance and body are both a little too "bulky" for what he looks like in the movie. Also, the articulation could have been done better. And the head only looks passable from the side. There's also some deco issue, the crotch piece on all the ones I've seen is green with a tan overspray that doesn't cover enough of the green so it doesn't match up with the legs or torso. And not including the deactivated saber hilt to hang on the belt is criminal.

I think there will be. Rebelscum is doing a poll now to see what fans want in this line for the future. I really like IG-88, Bossk, and the snowtrooper. The others are better than basic (I really don't like the color of plastic used for Leia though.)That poll is actually Hasbro's survey from CIV, it's a 3-question poll, RS said they'd run it on their site for more results.

I'm starting to not be so into Vintage. They're too expensive and in most cases I don't really feel like I need to have the best version of that figure.I've always felt that way since day 1, but I keep buying them for whatever reason.

at the CIV hasbro booth, they have a survey with the exact same questions, exact wording too so it's safe to say that Hasbro is really keeping tabs on the results. Hasbro mentioned they were letting RS run it.

i scored a set of all 6 VTAC's today...i've only opened Bossk and IG-88 but those two are awesome and 9.99 is worth it for them. i'd even pay 12.99.*THWACK!* No! Bad! Don't give them ideas! These are basic figures which are already overpriced at $7. :p

Honestly, what the hell are we paying for anyways? We're not paying for the figures, they reuse them too much in the basic line and even add more to them. We're not paying for the clamshells, we already know they can make clamshells for $1 each (and they're even larger than the vintage shells). We can't be paying more for the cardback nor the bubble, they're far more efficient than the 30th anniv. packaging.

I think we're paying for the fact Hasbro has said they're basically just filling the retail deluxe pricepoint. So if they were site exclusives, then...surely the price should drop anyways. Or they wouldn't and it would fail miserably.We're paying for higher quality manufacturing with tighter tolerances, more paint apps, a clamshell package, and a specialized cardback (they have to remake all those Kenner cards, it's not just reprint n go), but that's basically it. The paint apps really shine on figures like Chewie, IG-88, Bossk, Tusken Raider, and Boba Fett. But most of that stuff is expendable, we're buying high quality basic figures for an inflated price because they're somehow "special" to us.

Just the plastic that they use feels like it's a higher quality. I know the VTSC Biker Scouts that I own feel very sturdy and rigid; but the EP3 repaint with the camo deco just feels soft and rubbery in comparison. I'm thinking the upcoming rerelease of Boba Fett will be the same.That's a good point, they're not as careful with the manufacturing and they're not using as high quality materials when they reissue these figures in other uses. But then you compare the VOTC Stormtrooper to the Tantive IV Battle Pack version and even the VOTC comes up short in comparison, the BP one is shinier, has significantly tighter sculpting tolerances, and the colors match up better from piece to piece - so it's not like the Vintage are the end-all be-all simply because they're in the Vintage line.

i finally got around to opening Endor Leia and i think if anything, JT's "D+" grade was too generous, if you can believe that!

some criticisms that i don't think JT addressed in his review -

the neck post is painted a pinker shade than the head and forearms. it's very, very noticeable and very unsettling.

also the upper arms look too large. looks like Leia could bat cleanup for any MLB team!

if you're a MOC collector who picks up extras here and there for openers, do NOT buy an extra Endor Leia. and if you're a loose collector, you'd want to display it with the poncho on.

edit: just great. now i've lost her blaster. that's what i get for posting unfavorable comments.You're right, the paint tone is off from her flesh plastic, but that's become so commonplace that it doesn't even usually stand out for me unless it's egregious - I don't think it is with Leia.

Sucks about losing her blaster, that's the best part of the set!

I've been seeing a lot of friggin' Snowtroopers the last two days, mostly at Target. I think Target's going to find that $11.99 price is going to hurt their sale of VSTC. I saw the same two Snowtroopers at one Target I saw the day before. Target's always had that $12 price on Vintage and it's always made them suffer a little by comparison to WM and TRU, but in the end Target usually drops their price to $10 for a while or just clearances them out altogether.

The Luke looks kind of goofy. I can't imagine that's the best Bespin Luke ever made. That Luke makes me perfectly happy with my POTF Bespin Luke.Sadly, he really is the best one so far. The Saga version may be slightly more accurate in the face, but he's got a ton of issues and that head sculpt with the silly open mouth and droopy hair is just nasty. The POTF2 version has a plain design by today's standards and the generic POTF2 Luke head mk 2 that started with Luke Ceremony and has never not sucked.

Has anyone been able to fit both the hood and the cap on Hoth Han's head without it looking stupid?I'd say no, even with Matt's pics right there where he stuffed the corners into the hoodie (smart, but I bet it was a ton of work), the hat still looks fairly stupid.

I agree, if you're not impressed by Bossk then: 1. you're standards are simply too high for a $10-12 action figure line; or 2. you haven't really looked at the figure, probably just threw him in your shopping cart and filed him away in your collection when you got home without taking the time to really see the amazing amount of work that went into this toy.That's a good point, it's easy to give Bossk a cursory glance and say he's not that much, especially if you don't take him out of packaging, but without spending a few moments really examining what's working there you're just doing your collection a disservice.

I would put Bossk at #1 for the entire vintage collection so far. Even above VOTC Han Solo and the VTSC Biker Scout. IG-88 would be a close #2.I dunno about THAT! I guess it's all subjective though, but he is a top tier figure in the line, I can say that with confidence.

I havent bought Bossk yet, but I cant see him being better than the 2004 version. Sure has more articulation, but I doubt it will be better. I might buy one to open, but have a set coming. Dude, come on, don't say something like that. Once you have Saga and VTSC Bossk in your hands together, comparing the differences, the Saga one really comes up super short.

Have you not seen the pics? He is honestly light years ahead of the 2004 version.Yeah, that's so true! Of course, I think folks view that figure with rose colored glasses anyway just because he is a big improvement on the POTF2 version (which, I might add, most folks said was fine until the Saga one came down the pike) - I always gave that Saga one a B rating because he never was totally "there".

i actually think there were some things that could've been done better on Bespin Luke. the shoulders for one - just like with VTSC X-Wing Luke, they chose to make the shoulders angled off instead of rounded off. and the head sculpt, although it isn't bad, still isn't an accurate likeness.Yeah, the shoulders on Luke when you raise them sideways just isn't pleasing, it leaves a squared off hinge face and a gap. I think the body in general is a tad too bulky. The head seems to work from the sides, but straight on it is unrecognizable.

The 2004 Dengar is also pretty good. As for Zuckuss, I still think the '98 figure needs no resculpt.For me, Dengar is ultimate; Zuckuss is good but his split-robe situation is unacceptable to me, and he could use a tune-up in the head sculpt and articulation departments.

AmanaMatt
06-05-2007, 02:10 AM
I'd say no, even with Matt's pics right there where he stuffed the corners into the hoodie (smart, but I bet it was a ton of work), the hat still looks fairly stupid.

Actually, I just popped the head off, put the 'hat' thingie on, and fit it together with the 'hood/neck' piece THEN placed that combo back on the neck joint - no effort at all.

TheRealDubya
06-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Actually, I just popped the head off, put the 'hat' thingie on, and fit it together with the 'hood/neck' piece THEN placed that combo back on the neck joint - no effort at all.

That actually looks a LOT better than I thought it would. Still, I'll be happy when/if they someday release the hood-up head they had for a millisecond at Toy Fair. Did anyone save a copy of that image, BTW?

AmanaMatt
06-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Here you go:

TheRealDubya
06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Here you go:

Awesome, thanks. Yeah, I'd love to have this version sooner than later.

JediTricks
06-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Actually, I just popped the head off, put the 'hat' thingie on, and fit it together with the 'hood/neck' piece THEN placed that combo back on the neck joint - no effort at all.That sounds pretty easy, I'll have to try it later.

Here you go:WOW does that look better, shame on LFL for not approving that for this set!!!

Qui-Long Gone
06-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Here you go:

That's a fine Solo...

AmanaMatt
06-05-2007, 11:20 PM
That's a fine Solo...

I know - it looks soo good - if LFL had approved the two heads, this would have been my favorite Solo from the Vintage; as it is now, its my second fav - behind ANH Han (which is still an incredible fig)

Also, when I was at Celebration IV, I did talk to the Hasbro sculptor that made Hoth Han - he indicated that he wanted the hood to have 'fur' around the edges and something happened in the approval process - I am not sure what we saw at Toyfair - if that was a second attempt based on what LFL wanted (i'm speculating)

I asked him if we will see it in the future: and he said he 'thought so.'

JEDIpartner
06-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Leia doesn't look quite right. She's got "Davey & Goliath"/"Moral Orel" face. Luke Looks like Ellen Degeneres. The rest are quite good, though.

jedi master sal
06-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Leia doesn't look quite right. She's got "Davey & Goliath"/"Moral Orel" face. Luke Looks like Ellen Degeneres. The rest are quite good, though.

THAT'S IT!!! I've been trying to think of who Luke looked like. Man, you nailed that one. Well, I guess I'll put him in a, white woman who can't dance, pose.

AmanaMatt
06-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Just for fun, my Top 7 from the Vintage line -

Left to right:

1) Han - they will never beat this version - great detail, likenesss and articulation
2) Chewie - they never need to do this one again
3) Votc Stormie (this is the 501st version with better plastic match) - major improvement to the previous versions, though not quite 'perfect'
4) Biker Scout - perfect detail, and articulation - one of my fav figs ever
5) Snowtrooper - an instant classic
6) Bossk - he's a work of art
7 Ig-88 - I absolutely love this one - one of my favs ever

(I could not narrow this down to just the top 5)

I do love how the Imperials are all pretty much the same height - not that I think they are all clones, but it looks good!

My bottom 3 from the Vintage line (cause I don't hate 5)

Leia - terrible everything
Old Ben - terrible articulation and ok soft goods
C-3P0 - the most insulting Vintage of them all - what the hell went wrong?

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 02:31 AM
I hope they can do a better ANH Han, I don't think the VOTC version is the tops, it's got a weird headsculpt, smallish head, and permanent vest.

Chewie is really good, but he's only ROTJ Chewie, I never got the ANH version from the Early Bird kit.

I agree that the VOTC Trooper is nice but not the end-all be-all. I think the Tantive IV one is a step closer to that with its crisper sculpting, slightly more dynamic pose, better helmet design, and superior color-matching from part to part.

The Biker Scout loses more and more in my eyes every time I see him, his pose isn't quite right and his helmet is TINY!

The Snowtrooper looks like they hit it out of the park, I can't wait to get one.

Bossk and IG-88 are the pinnacle for those guys.

My top tier for Vintage-style figures is (no real order):
Tusken Raider
Boba Fett (even though I think he's too static in pose)
Chewie
IG-88
Bossk
and I assume the Snowtrooper will get in there too once I have him.

Second tier:
Han
R2 (every subsequent repaint is a better paintjob though)
Luke Bespin
Stormtrooper
Han Endor
Scout Trooper

Third tier:
Leia ANH
Luke X-wing
Greedo
Obi-Wan
Lando
Vader

Forth tier:
Luke ANH
C-3PO
Leia Endor
Yoda

HA! I didn't even realize I made the first 3 tiers the same number of figures, total chance!

figrin bran
06-07-2007, 02:47 AM
I hope they can do a better ANH Han, I don't think the VOTC version is the tops, it's got a weird headsculpt, smallish head, and permanent vest.

Chewie is really good, but he's only ROTJ Chewie, I never got the ANH version from the Early Bird kit.

I agree that the VOTC Trooper is nice but not the end-all be-all. I think the Tantive IV one is a step closer to that with its crisper sculpting, slightly more dynamic pose, better helmet design, and superior color-matching from part to part.

The Biker Scout loses more and more in my eyes every time I see him, his pose isn't quite right and his helmet is TINY!

The Snowtrooper looks like they hit it out of the park, I can't wait to get one.

The Snowtrooper is indeed a real winner, though overshadowed in this wave by the Bounty Hunters. About the only thing one could find fault with is the light brownish reddish grime on the boots and also faintly on the helmet. Other than that it's a fantastic figure with nicely sculpted details.

JEDIpartner
06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
THAT'S IT!!! I've been trying to think of who Luke looked like. Man, you nailed that one. Well, I guess I'll put him in a, white woman who can't dance, pose.

I saw the Luke at Target and I was on the phone with Bruce (you remember him, no?), which is something I rarely do in a store. He'd been MIA for a couple weeks, so I opted to take the call. Anyhow, I was almost going to buy the whole wave but they were missing a second set of Bossk and IG-88, so I passed. I have a case on order. So, I saw the Luke and was like... "Oh. My. God. It's Ellen DeGeneres!!!" Bruce started laughing his butt off on the phone.

Oh, Bruce got the whole wave plus the coins for $12.99 at Disney due to a cashier's brilliance. Lucky!!!

AmanaMatt
06-07-2007, 12:16 PM

Bossk and IG-88 are the pinnacle for those guys

You can get the ANH version of Chewie off Ebay for cheap - I see him all the time - and given its just a new head, the paint job is as good as on the VOTC - this is actually my favorite 'VOTC' Chewie of the three - I love him posed with ANH Han; as for him, I would have liked a removable vest, but I disagree on the sculpt - its a passable Ford likeness - and remember this is 4 inch scale - pretty hard to work with! :shocked:

What kills the Tantive version for me is the fact that there is a GIANT hole in the back and they have Santrooper belts - too off for me to care (and I wanted to at $20 a set)

I agree that the Biker Scout helmet is a bit small, but not enough to be an issue for me - the body work is fantastic, IMO - close enough to perfection for me - I love the variant that has the pop up helmet too.

Glad to see kudos for the Bossk, Ig-88 and Snowtrooper - those three rock! :thumbsup:

Ok, on a separate note, I opened my Bespin Luke, and I have three issues: he's a tad too tall for Luke, his likeness, and the big one for me: the Giant shoulder articulation - if you raise his shoulders up to the sides, you can see the huge shoulder joint?!?!?!? WTH were they thinking? If you look back at the ANH Han, what I love about him is his articulation - it was as small and as hidden as the joint allowed - that is something on that figure I am amazed by - compare that shoulder articulation to the Luke and the difference is HUGE!!! Bespin Luke is a very good figure, but he should have been a homerun.

bigbarada
06-07-2007, 06:23 PM
My top tier for Vintage-style figures is (no real order):
Tusken Raider
Boba Fett (even though I think he's too static in pose)
Chewie
IG-88
Bossk
and I assume the Snowtrooper will get in there too once I have him.

I was beginning to think that I was the only person who thought that the Tusken Raider was an excellent figure. I've always thought that if people would just take a couple of minutes to work with his robes, they'd see just what an awesome figure he is.

I agree with most of your top tier figures, but I would add ANH Han to my list. I also don't have the Snowtrooper yet, so I want to see just how much the Jango head annoys me before I decide if the figure is first or second tier.

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 06:40 PM
You can get the ANH version of Chewie off Ebay for cheap - I see him all the time - and given its just a new head, the paint job is as good as on the VOTC - this is actually my favorite 'VOTC' Chewie of the three - I love him posed with ANH Han; Yeah, I keep putting it off, but the whole early bird kit is pretty cheap up there. I saw a loose set at CIV for $20 and eyeballed it, some other chumps wanted $30 which was silly.

as for him, I would have liked a removable vest, but I disagree on the sculpt - its a passable Ford likeness - and remember this is 4 inch scale - pretty hard to work with! :shocked:I just don't feel it's a home run the way a lot of fans do, if nothing else those eyes and eyebrows just ain't right, but the whole head is shaped wrong, Han's head isn't triangular, and that affects everything, his mouth has to be smaller to accommodate.

What kills the Tantive version for me is the fact that there is a GIANT hole in the back and they have Santrooper belts - too off for me to care (and I wanted to at $20 a set)I don't mind the belts, just rotate them around and you don't notice the lack of grenade or the little pouch on the right hip. The holes I might mind more if A) I posed this figure with the back facing forward; and B) all those SA Clones didn't have a similar one on their backs for their antenna kits.

I agree that the Biker Scout helmet is a bit small, but not enough to be an issue for me - the body work is fantastic, IMO - close enough to perfection for me - I love the variant that has the pop up helmet too.I see what you mean, but it's not for me. I don't have the version with the flip-up visor, so I dunno if it's bigger, but just looking at your picture is what really put it over the top for me, the biker scout's helmet is like 30% smaller than the Stormtrooper's, and only as big as Han's head even though we're supposed to believe it could fit someone like Han. It's just too small compared to his shoulders.

Ok, on a separate note, I opened my Bespin Luke, and I have three issues: he's a tad too tall for Luke, his likeness, and the big one for me: the Giant shoulder articulation - if you raise his shoulders up to the sides, you can see the huge shoulder joint?!?!?!? WTH were they thinking? If you look back at the ANH Han, what I love about him is his articulation - it was as small and as hidden as the joint allowed - that is something on that figure I am amazed by - compare that shoulder articulation to the Luke and the difference is HUGE!!! Bespin Luke is a very good figure, but he should have been a homerun.A Luke that's too tall? That's a rarity after 2000! I haven't thought to put these VTSC2 with my regular figures, I keep forgetting to do that, the only one I did was Endor Leia because she seemed really short (she is, shorter than any other Leia). Those new shoulder joints have been really annoying me, the idea is they let the outer part of the shoulder look more natural while still allowing motion, but to do so they have to lower the hinge point of the shoulder to an unnatural height and leave a big ugly tab half of the joint exposed. A lot of figures have been suffering it lately.

I was beginning to think that I was the only person who thought that the Tusken Raider was an excellent figure. I've always thought that if people would just take a couple of minutes to work with his robes, they'd see just what an awesome figure he is.Yeah, I don't get why he's not thought of more highly, his robes look good in person, his sculpt is excellent, his paint is class, all you have to do is open the package and examine him to see this. Yet he's never thought of highly by most folks.

I agree with most of your top tier figures, but I would add ANH Han to my list. I also don't have the Snowtrooper yet, so I want to see just how much the Jango head annoys me before I decide if the figure is first or second tier.That's cool, and I know a lot of folks dig Han so you're not alone there.

I know what you mean, the Jango head on the TAC Stormie bothered me more than I expected, but his helmet comes off way too easily. Since Snowtroopers don't turn their heads as easily, I doubt this will bother me as much as it does with a Stormie.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
I got a second set of these today at Wal-Mart, except for the Snowtrooper. I couldn't find one, so it looks like this figure must be pretty popular compared to the rest. Either that, or there's an army builder around these parts. Target had these in now as well. I stopped there before Wal-Mart, and since they are $11.99 there, I didn't bother checking to see what they had.

Kidhuman
06-07-2007, 10:25 PM
My Top 5 so far in this entire line:
(no order)
Tusken
Biker Scout
IG-88
Snowtrooper
Vader

Worst ones:

Han(Endor)
3PO
Yoda

JetsAndHeels
06-07-2007, 10:33 PM
I got the Snowtrooper today. He is way cool, and I love the removable helmet. At first I didn't know it came off, then when I turned his head it fell and I saw Jango starin' at me. :)

Kidhuman
06-07-2007, 10:45 PM
then when I turned his head it fell and I saw Jango starin' at me. :)

Did he stare hard enough to make you poop yourself?

JetsAndHeels
06-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Did he stare hard enough to make you poop yourself?

No, only the nachos make me do that.

Qui-Long Gone
06-07-2007, 11:23 PM
I enjoy the snowtrooper...they've really nailed the troopers on the VTSC line....I can't say which one I love best, Biker, Snow or Imperial Trooper?

I passed on the others....mainly because I have no need for any of them, especially Bossk and IG and I'm not too impressed with Luke, Han or Leia..

But I love those Snowtroopers....

AmanaMatt
06-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Damn it, JT, you've given me: B.S.S.H - Biker Scout Small Head syndrome; Now, I'm just staring at that small noggin!!!! :)

As for the Tusken, I love him too - almost perfect if not for one little detail: lack of ball jointed elbows - if any figure needed him to achieve his classic pose, this is one! Now, he can still do it - just not the way I would like! He's an 'A' figure to me though.....

Big Barada - what are you waiting on for that Snowtrooper!?! Get one by and and all means necessary (as long as its under $12, of course) - you will LOVE IT! Given how excellent the Snowtrooper head gear, you will never want to take it off, so I think you will find the Jango head a non-issue....!

JT - I agree with you on Luke's shoulder articulation - I just do not like it at all.

bigbarada
06-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Big Barada - what are you waiting on for that Snowtrooper!?! Get one by and and all means necessary (as long as its under $12, of course) - you will LOVE IT! Given how excellent the Snowtrooper head gear, you will never want to take it off, so I think you will find the Jango head a non-issue....!

Well it's not like they are just sitting unwanted on the pegs and I refuse to buy them. If I could find them in the store, I'd buy them all.

It's just mailorder and ebay are such hassles compared to just walking into a store and buying a figure, so I haven't decided that I NEED a Snowtrooper yet enough to go through that.

AmanaMatt
06-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Well it's not like they are just sitting unwanted on the pegs and I refuse to buy them. If I could find them in the store, I'd buy them all.

It's just mailorder and ebay are such hassles compared to just walking into a store and buying a figure, so I haven't decided that I NEED a Snowtrooper yet enough to go through that.

Sorry, I am tired and am not thinking - this is probably one of the most popular Vintage ever....! If I see any extras, I am happy to grab them and send them to you - PM if that is cool...I will probably run into more out here...

I see what you mean, but it's not for me. I don't have the version with the flip-up visor, so I dunno if it's bigger, but just looking at your picture is what really put it over the top for me, the biker scout's helmet is like 30&#37; smaller than the Stormtrooper's, and only as big as Han's head even though we're supposed to believe it could fit someone like Han. It's just too small compared to his shoulders.

Just for kicks, I compared the two - the pop up helmet is pictured on the left; its a bit more noticeable from the profile:

Qui-Long Gone
06-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Just for kicks, I compared the two - the pop up helmet is pictured on the left; its a bit more noticeable from the profile:

That is a very noticable difference side by side....hmmmm

tagmac
06-08-2007, 01:36 PM
I picked these up last weekend in Target. Was actually surprised because it was a late Saturday morning, well after opening, and someone had just nabbeda figure from the pegs. Even so, there were two full sets on the pegs, plus a few extra. a far cry from TRU, which has nothing (pricing must be the reason, although the local scalper is bogarting Clones/Troopers, as I found them at the local comics shop for 3X the price). Even more surpriseing, I found the whole set yet again two days ago in Target, although I didn't get any more.

Anyway, here's my review:

Bossk - this one is clearly the best of the bunch. The detail and paint job are awesome, and make this one stand out even from it's last release. I didn't think this figure was necessary because of it, but the final product proved me wrong. *****

IG-88 - this figure still looks pretty much the same as it did in every other incarnation, although the separatelt-sculpted belt gives it a nice touch. in addition, some of his mechanical parts look clearly like they were built separately, then assembled, as opposed to being sculpted on as in previous incarnations. ****

Snowtrooper - aside from the cloth skirt, this doesn't look all that different from the last one we got, although the articulation makes this one better. The detail is great. Not the best, but no complaints here either. ****

Hoth Han - A disappointment in the sense that the coat should have been soft goods so that the hood could go up or down. I understand the fur lining might have made this prohibitive, in which case it should have been sculpted hood-up. At least the hat is removable (unlike the '95 version), so if looked at with the Tauntaun and Hoth Rescue "hood-up" versions, then technically we needed one with the hood down. Just gotta keep that ridiculous-looking hat off, and the figure goes up a few points. The likeness is pretty good, too.
with hat ** without ***1/2

Endor Leia - clearly the bottom of the group, with the oversized-looking hat and poncho. Something about the likeness bothers me as well. This one could have been better, although I'm thinking we should have gotten a Jawa here instead of this one. **1/2

decadentdave
06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Has anybody tried doing a head swap on VTSC Hoth Han with the Saga one? The balljoint on the VTSC one will probably require some dremeling but since the rubber hoodie ring on VTSC Han is removeable you'd have an interchangeable hood head. Haven't tried this yet but in theory it should work.

El Chuxter
06-08-2007, 08:31 PM
I saw 'em today, minus the Snowtrooper. Yeah, no way in hell are these $12 figures. For less than they would've cost me, I got the Robot Heroes figures, and will probably enjoy them a lot more.

figrin bran
06-08-2007, 10:43 PM

from the front view, the pop up helmet version is slightly larger but still underscaled.

The strange thing is that the tiny heads aren't as noticeable on the Kashykk Elite Corps Troopers.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I saw 'em today, minus the Snowtrooper. Yeah, no way in hell are these $12 figures. For less than they would've cost me, I got the Robot Heroes figures, and will probably enjoy them a lot more.That's why I didn't get them at Target. Wal-Mart has them for $9.88. I've not seen them yet at Fred Meyer, but they have pegs for them with a $9.99 price. They even had them marked down to $8.99 when everything else was marked down, though I doubt they had any to sell at that price. They even had them marked down to that price once before long before they were ever out.

I have two of each except for the Snowtrooper. I might be willing to buy a Snowtrooper from Target at that price. If I want another one to open, I'll look elsewhere.

Darth Cruel
06-09-2007, 02:05 AM
I really like my little diorama of four Snowtroopers with the repeater (I added one since the pic). It is my favorite desk top piece right now. And that does not look to end any time soon. I like the Snowtroopers so much that I want to army-build them. Even at 10.00 each. That will be tough to do if the retro figures are going to be scarce this year as Hasbro said. So far, it sure doesn't look to be the case, though. I am seeing tons of them (sans Snowtroopers, of course).

Old Fossil
06-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I like the Snowtroopers so much that I want to army-build them. Even at 10.00 each. That will be tough to do if the retro figures are going to be scarce this year as Hasbro said. So far, it sure doesn't look to be the case, though. I am seeing tons of them (sans Snowtroopers, of course).

I would army-build 'em, too, up to maybe 5 or six. But how scarce did Hasbro say they were going to be?

LTBasker
06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm not going to worry about army building them, Hasbro will rerelease them again and probably in the main line.

The Stormtrooper has been modified better than the VOTC debut and released in the mainline (Saga2 Sandtrooper) plus it's getting an even more superior rerelease now in wave 3. As well, the Biker Scout is being rereleased in the Saga Legends line.

I think it's a surefire thing the Snowtrooper will be available later. :D

AmanaMatt
06-11-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm not going to worry about army building them, Hasbro will rerelease them again and probably in the main line.

The Stormtrooper has been modified better than the VOTC debut and released in the mainline (Saga2 Sandtrooper) plus it's getting an even more superior rerelease now in wave 3. As well, the Biker Scout is being rereleased in the Saga Legends line.

I think it's a surefire thing the Snowtrooper will be available later. :D

Only questions: When will it be released and what kind of plastic will they use?

tagmac
06-11-2007, 07:13 PM
That's why I didn't get them at Target. Wal-Mart has them for $9.88. I've not seen them yet at Fred Meyer, but they have pegs for them with a $9.99 price. They even had them marked down to $8.99 when everything else was marked down, though I doubt they had any to sell at that price. They even had them marked down to that price once before long before they were ever out.

I had bought them in Target, but I found the whole set in Bozcov's on Friday for $9.99 each. Returned the pevious set to Target and saved about $12 in the process.

AmanaMatt
06-12-2007, 05:47 PM
For those into variations, I have noticed the noticeable changes with the paint wash used on the Snowtrooper helmets

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/100_0085.jpg
(date stamp: 70891 - helmet has heavy wash)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/100_0086.jpg
(date stamp: 70931 - helmet is lighter, but still has heavier wash)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/Mattschlo/100_0087.jpg
(date stamp 70991 - helmet has very light wash)

JediTricks
06-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Ugh, that's a crappy variation, the wash should be no higher than that lightest one!

AmanaMatt
06-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Ugh, that's a crappy variation, the wash should be no higher than that lightest one!

If there is a better way for me to post these, let me know. I didn't want to reduce their size down for the attachment to take - I was afraid if the pic were too small, the difference would not show as clearly.

figrin bran
06-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Amanamatt, i only have 2 snowtroopers so far but both are fairly similar in amount of washing. Certainly nowhere near the contrast between the Galactic Marines.

AmanaMatt
06-13-2007, 02:31 AM
Amanamatt, i only have 2 snowtroopers so far but both are fairly similar in amount of washing. Certainly nowhere near the contrast between the Galactic Marines.

The loose Snowtroopers I have are pretty similar to the middle pic I posted - I haven't noticed that much of a difference with the Marines!

figrin bran
06-13-2007, 02:37 AM
The loose Snowtroopers I have are pretty similar to the middle pic I posted - I haven't noticed that much of a difference with the Marines!

alright then, i'll guess i'll have to take some pics to show you! be forewarned, i have over 10 of the Marines :p

Old Fossil
06-13-2007, 10:17 AM
All these are up for sale right now at HasbroToyShop.com at $9.99 each. Get your Snowies while you can!:yes:

JLS
06-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I am uber pleased at the offerings this year. EXCEPT when I removed IG-88 from his prison both legs fell right off. I had him out of the shell and in my fingers for maybe 2 seconds and bloop they fall off... I can reenact the ending of Terminator 1 with him or superglue...

bigbarada
06-13-2007, 10:32 AM
I am uber pleased at the offerings this year. EXCEPT when I removed IG-88 from his prison both legs fell right off. I had him out of the shell and in my fingers for maybe 2 seconds and bloop they fall off... I can reenact the ending of Terminator 1 with him or superglue...

Were they broken or did they just pop out? If it's the latter, you should be able to just pop them back in place. Otherwise contact Hasbro's customer service and I'm sure they'll send you a replacement figure.

That or you can take it back to the store and exchange it or get a refund.

JLS
06-13-2007, 11:03 AM
They just fell out, the peg that inserts into the hole is too thin to hold it in place. I may contact hasbro or return it to wal-mart for an exchange.

AmanaMatt
06-13-2007, 11:45 AM
They just fell out, the peg that inserts into the hole is too thin to hold it in place. I may contact hasbro or return it to wal-mart for an exchange.

Take him back; the two ig-88s i've opened have had very stiff legs - no where near them being loose!

El Chuxter
06-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Man, I feel like I'm eating some words, but once I discovered the AAA discount at hasbrotoyshop.com, I tacked on Han (who I actually sorta wanted anyway), as well as Snowtrooper, IG-88, and Bossk, since I keep hearing great things about them.

Yeah, I'm a hypocrite. But the discount cancels out tax and shipping costs, so they're not $11 each anymore. It's only a dollar each, but that dollar that pushes them into double-digit costs is a pretty significant one.

I passed on Leia and Luke, since both what I've seen and what I keep hearing tells me they're both crap.

BTW, if anyone wants that 501st Stormtrooper exclusive from last year, it's on there, too. (Passed yet again on that.) :rolleyes:

I have this crazy feeling that, with very few stores around here, and gas hanging above $3/gallon, I might be taking advantage of that discount quite a bit in the future.

AmanaMatt
06-13-2007, 10:40 PM
I'd get Luke - he is a decent figure; If this were the first Bespin Luke ever, we would all say he 'totally rocks,' and I still feel he is light years ahead of all previous versions

Heck, if you can save money, do it

JediTricks
06-14-2007, 12:16 AM
If there is a better way for me to post these, let me know. I didn't want to reduce their size down for the attachment to take - I was afraid if the pic were too small, the difference would not show as clearly.The pics you have in your previous post would have fit except for the last one which is 8k over the limit (and dropping it down 1 more JPG quality level would have dealt with that). SSG forums limit is 800x800 at 78.1k.

I am uber pleased at the offerings this year. EXCEPT when I removed IG-88 from his prison both legs fell right off. I had him out of the shell and in my fingers for maybe 2 seconds and bloop they fall off... I can reenact the ending of Terminator 1 with him or superglue...Fell off from where, the hips where they meet the crotch or the mid-thigh?

Take him back; the two ig-88s i've opened have had very stiff legs - no where near them being loose!Yeah, mine isn't like that either, get yourself a good one, just don't tell them about the glue.

Man, I feel like I'm eating some words, but once I discovered the AAA discount at hasbrotoyshop.comThere's a AAA discount? Damn, I've ordered a ton of stuff lately from them without using that. More details?

I tacked on Han (who I actually sorta wanted anyway), as well as Snowtrooper, IG-88, and Bossk, since I keep hearing great things about them.

Yeah, I'm a hypocrite. But the discount cancels out tax and shipping costs, so they're not $11 each anymore. It's only a dollar each, but that dollar that pushes them into double-digit costs is a pretty significant one.

I passed on Leia and Luke, since both what I've seen and what I keep hearing tells me they're both crap.Luke ain't that bad, just not the greatest likeness from the front. Leia is unbearable. :p The "Celebration" coupon code is 10&#37; off, that comes close to knocking off tax & shipping on my orders using it.

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 12:24 AM
AAA discount is 15&#37;, so it's a little better than the Celebration discount. You have to log onto aaa.com, then link to hasbrotoyshop.com via the "Discounts" dropdown menu (choose the "Retail" option). For some reason, it doesn't always work on the first try, so just double-check the shopping cart when you checkout.

DarkArtist
06-14-2007, 05:14 PM
ordered 3 of the Snowtrooper off Hasbrotoyshop.com. can't wait till they arrive. might get a few of the IG-88 and Bossk and try to get maybe two of the coin sets.

vadersvette
06-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Overall I'm impressed with these figures. I still need to find a Snowtrooper (of course), and I need to pick up a Leia (just for the heck of it and so I can get the coins)

I think I like the Bespin Luke the most. I don't know, the head sculpt is not that great, but the body and the articulation are great.

Bossk and IG-88 are simply amazing figures, makes me wish I never picked up the Saga and POTJ ones (then again, I wished I never would have picked up the Bossk way back when I did because I thought the POTF2 one was terrific as it was)

Han has a great sculpt, but is pretty hard to pose. And then there's that hat that doesn't fit over the hood very well.

Snowtrooper will probably be my most favorite figure in this line.

Overall with the Vintage line, my favs are
Boba Fett, Bespin Luke, Biker Scout, Snowtrooper, Stormtrooper, Chewie, IG-88, Han Solo, X-Wing Luke, Tatooine Luke (I know everyone hates this figure, but I don't have a problem with it)

Old Fossil
06-16-2007, 01:11 AM
My favorite Vintage-style figures are, in order:

Tusken Raider
Snowtrooper
Bossk
Luke X-Wing
Biker Scout
IG-88
Stormtrooper
Chewbacca
Darth Vader
Ben Kenobi
Boba Fett

I place Fett last, in this list of faves anyway, because despite all his articulation, you can't really pose him in many different positions. The Tusken is almost a work of art. I dig the Kenobi, even though hardly anyone else does.:love: And the Vader is great, 'cause he can look up and down.

DarkArtist
06-16-2007, 09:53 AM
picked up 3 of the Snowtrooper from the E.Bruns TRU, love the figure and the removable helmet / clone head. my only gripe is that they did not include a holster for the blaster rifle. the detail is amazing perhaps one of the best figures of the VOTC, ranks up there with the Imperial Scout, Stormtrooper, and Boba Fett. I have 3 more of this guy on order from HasbroToyShop.com and they have shipped already so they should be here within the week.

tagmac
06-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Kudos to you for finding them there. You beat out that old fat guy with the moustache who frequently scalps toys from there, so that maybe I don't have to see a $24.00 Snowtrooper in MC Comics or any other secondary stores. I found mine at Target, but later returned it after finding it cheaper at Bozcov's, among with the rest of the set.

Sadly, all I found was Vader from Wave 3 of the TAC series, but if my order of the set from BriansToys ever ships, then it won't matter that I missed out on getting them from there - of which I know it's a longshot I'd ever find the McQuarrie figs there anyway.

Thunderbird
06-16-2007, 02:24 PM
I just pick up an extra set of these today on clearance for $6.00 each:thumbsup:

It's only at one walmart, it's the same one near me that still had some of last years at full price til just a couple of months ago. I think it's a mistake cause the shelf tag has them at $9.96 or something like that but they scan at $6.00, of couse I'm not tell them:bandit:

bigbarada
06-18-2007, 02:14 AM
I finally found some of these this weekend. I picked up 1 each of Bossk, IG-88 and the Snowtrooper (I already had a Bossk and IG-88 and I only found one Snowtrooper) and 2 each of Luke, Han and Leia.

I've already posted my thoughts on how great Bossk and IG-88 are.

I haven't opened the Snowtrooper yet, but he looks really nice with the exception of that wierd reddish wash on his helmet. I'm holding out for one that's not such a redhead for my opener.

Luke is pretty good. I'm not too crazy about his headsculpt; but I have a feeling this one is going to grow on me.

Han is another pinhead, but overall really nice. Not too crazy about that "closed" left hand, but otherwise it's definitely the best Hoth Han we've gotten in modern times.

Leia... well, I tried, I really tried to give this figure a chance; but it is terrible. With the oversized poncho and helmet, she looks like a little girl trying on her daddy's clothes. And, with her wide stance, she looks completely ridiculous standing next to VTSC Endor Han and TSC Endor Luke. Very unhappy with this one and very disappointed, especially since I spent several minutes scrutinizing the figures trying to find the absolute best face paint app there was.

AmanaMatt
06-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Glad you scored the Snowtrooper; there really is a huge hue regarding this guy's helmet....

JediTricks
06-19-2007, 03:41 AM
I need to pick up a Leia (just for the heck of it and so I can get the coins)You don't actually need a Leia to get the coins, any 6 stamps will do, they're generic. Just trying to save a fellow collector a few bucks. :p

Bossk and IG-88 are simply amazing figures, makes me wish I never picked up the Saga and POTJ ones (then again, I wished I never would have picked up the Bossk way back when I did because I thought the POTF2 one was terrific as it was)I try not to think that way, but Bossk was so danged recent and only a half-new figure... Dang man, that does suck!

Overall with the Vintage line, my favs are
Boba Fett, Bespin Luke, Biker Scout, Snowtrooper, Stormtrooper, Chewie, IG-88, Han Solo, X-Wing Luke, Tatooine Luke (I know everyone hates this figure, but I don't have a problem with it)I think Luke might have been easier to take if they hadn't painted his head all wrong, but he's also way underscaled.

I dig the Kenobi, even though hardly anyone else does.:love: I like that figure for the headsculpt, but they picked the wrong horse for him twice, first with the oversized reused Jedi robe and then with the diagonal-swivel elbows, so I can see why folks don't like him too.

my only gripe is that they did not include a holster for the blaster rifle. I am pretty sure only the Snowtrooper Officer figure (the one released in the Saga line) sports a holster, he's also got rank pips and upside-down shoulder pauldrons and a different style of head skirt (you can see him on the AT-AT command deck).

Han is another pinhead, but overall really nice. Not too crazy about that "closed" left hand, but otherwise it's definitely the best Hoth Han we've gotten in modern times.Ha! I didn't even noticed the closed left hand, I guess that's a throwback to POTF2 times. :D

Qui-Long Gone
06-21-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm very excited...my wife got me two Snowtroopers for Father's Day last weekend! Hurray for cool wives!

JetsAndHeels
06-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Hurray for cool wives!

They're awesome aren't they?

That's why I have 3 myself.

Shockwave
06-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Am I the only dufer that can't find the snowtrooper? Ok true confession here. I saw one @ target for $11.99 and said oh wait walmart has them cheaper @ $9.88. But nothin...However Newbury Comics have the wave but for only $15.99. Yeah I am a cheap when it comes to buying figures....

Will this wave be out for a while or has it stopped? As you can tell I am a novice @ hunting the FIGS! Thanks.

Old Fossil
06-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Am I the only dufer that can't find the snowtrooper? Ok true confession here. I saw one @ target for $11.99 and said oh wait walmart has them cheaper @ $9.88. But nothin...However Newbury Comics have the wave but for only $15.99. Yeah I am a cheap when it comes to buying figures....

Will this wave be out for a while or has it stopped? As you can tell I am a novice @ hunting the FIGS! Thanks.

They're uncommon in my area, but you can still order any or all of this wave at hasbrotoyshop.com for $9.99 each, or a case from entertainmentearth.com. Either of the latter will save you on gasoline spent tracking these figures down at brick-and-mortar stores.

$15.99 is way too much to pay for any of these figures, even though some of 'em are real gems.

Shockwave
06-22-2007, 10:40 AM
They're uncommon in my area, but you can still order any or all of this wave at hasbrotoyshop.com for $9.99 each, or a case from entertainmentearth.com. Either of the latter will save you on gasoline spent tracking these figures down at brick-and-mortar stores.

$15.99 is way too much to pay for any of these figures, even though some of 'em are real gems.

Thanks for the info. w/s&h it's close to $15. But I will continue my hunting for a little while longer.

mtriv73
06-22-2007, 10:54 AM

Entertainment Earth has a vintage revision wave coming with 6 snowtroopers and the other 5 figures. (There is also 2 Lukes in the case.)

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS87295A1

These should be around all summer and snowtroopers should be easier to find later on. (I already have 7 though, so I think I'll quit now.)

JediTricks
06-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info. w/s&h it's close to $15. But I will continue my hunting for a little while longer.
Use the coupon code "CELEBRATION" which takes 10&#37; off, it nearly mitigates the S&H entirely if you order 2. Apparently there's a new case coming down the pike with 6 Snowtroopers though.

figrin bran
06-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Use the coupon code "CELEBRATION" which takes 10% off, it nearly mitigates the S&H entirely if you order 2. Apparently there's a new case coming down the pike with 6 Snowtroopers though.

Unfortunately, the "CELEBRATION" code expired on June 15.

Old Fossil
06-22-2007, 11:28 PM
These should be around all summer and snowtroopers should be easier to find later on. (I already have 7 though, so I think I'll quit now.)

Incredibly, I picked up 3 Snowies tonight, bringing my total to 5 loose, 1 carded, which was my goal. Now I can give my bank account a break for a little while.:whip:

AmanaMatt
06-23-2007, 02:22 AM
I went nuts with this guy! I have three loose, and my three carded with the helmet 'variations!'

figrin bran
06-23-2007, 02:24 AM
6 loose Snowtroopers, 2 carded but soon to be loose. beat that! :p

JediTricks
06-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Unfortunately, the "CELEBRATION" code expired on June 15.
D'oh! I thought it said June 25th, sorry about that gang!

TheDarthVader
06-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Hmmm. You know what is funny to me? In the Hasbro Q&A they said these would be very limited so buy them when you see them. Humph! I can find most of these anywhere I go. What gives? Freakin' liars! I think they were just tryin to reel us in.

AmanaMatt
06-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Hmmm. You know what is funny to me? In the Hasbro Q&A they said these would be very limited so buy them when you see them. Humph! I can find most of these anywhere I go. What gives? Freakin' liars! I think they were just tryin to reel us in.

I see these in pretty limited release, except Target....two stores in my area are overflowing.....which makes me sad...

JediTricks
06-25-2007, 07:09 PM
The point was I think that they made LESS of them, not that they weren't going to be findable in the early weeks of their arrival, so they aren't expected to linger on shelves as long as the previous 2 lines did.

bigbarada
06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
I would guess that "limited release" might still entail a few hundred thousand of each figure. There's a lot of them, but we're not going to be seeing new shipments of them a year from now like we're seeing with Saga2.

figrin bran
06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
I would guess that "limited release" might still entail a few hundred thousand of each figure. There's a lot of them, but we're not going to be seeing new shipments of them a year from now like we're seeing with Saga2.

I'll bet you that the Snowtroopers, at least, make it into Saga Legends 08!

I just read on RS that the mines on IG-88's bandolier are removable. I haven't tried it yet but be very careful if you do as you might end up breaking one off.

Qui-Long Gone
06-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I'll bet you that the Snowtroopers, at least, make it into Saga Legends 08!

that would be nice...maybe change up the gun...or change the cloth to plastic....

Old Fossil
06-26-2007, 10:22 PM
or change the cloth to plastic....

Why do that? The cloth skirt seems to me one of the great strengths of this figure. Just look at how the plastic skirt of the Galactic Marine hampers (to an extent) that figure's poseability.

Or do you suggest something more along the lines of the old, thinner vintage plastic?

figrin bran
06-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I agree with Old Fossil. The Snowtrooper's cloth skirt is one of the strongest points about the figure. If only the Galactic Marine had one as well!

Has anyone tried removing the mines from IG-88 yet? - don't! it looks like they're glued on and so removing them might leave some glue residue

JediTricks
06-27-2007, 10:08 PM
I would guess that "limited release" might still entail a few hundred thousand of each figure. There's a lot of them, but we're not going to be seeing new shipments of them a year from now like we're seeing with Saga2.Yeah, exactly! We're not going to see cases of VTSC2 shipping out of Hasbro in 5 months, that's all they meant.

I'll bet you that the Snowtroopers, at least, make it into Saga Legends 08!That's not what BB meant, he meant on the VTSC2 cards, there won't be cases of it being made and shipped out several months down the road the way we're seeing with the tail end of TSC.

I just read on RS that the mines on IG-88's bandolier are removable. I haven't tried it yet but be very careful if you do as you might end up breaking one off.Yeah, I saw that, I think Hasbro's mistaken, I nearly broke the bandolier on mine when I tried it the day I got him. I'd like to see any evidence they really come off and go back on.

Why do that? The cloth skirt seems to me one of the great strengths of this figure. Just look at how the plastic skirt of the Galactic Marine hampers (to an extent) that figure's poseability.

Or do you suggest something more along the lines of the old, thinner vintage plastic?That wasn't plastic, it was sheet vinyl and I think it'd work awesome here but it may not be strong enough, it may tear too easily for Hasbro's more stringent quality standards.

I agree with Old Fossil. The Snowtrooper's cloth skirt is one of the strongest points about the figure. If only the Galactic Marine had one as well! That's a good point, the Marine really seems hampered by his skirt.

Has anyone tried removing the mines from IG-88 yet? - don't! it looks like they're glued on and so removing them might leave some glue residueCan you replace them without more glue?

Old Fossil
06-28-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm really loving this line, even the ones that aren't stellar, like Leia.

I wish they'd do next:

ROTJ Emperor
ROTJ Admiral Ackbar
ROTJ Gamorrean Guard
ESB TIE Fighter Pilot
ESB Hoth Leia
ESB Hoth Luke

Core characters, army builders, a peripheral character. Perfect. That would be the crowning glory of the Vintage line, a fitting way to end it next year.

tagmac
06-28-2007, 07:29 PM
We still need to see a Jawa and a Death Star Trooper to complete the "Original 12" from the vintage line.

Old Fossil
06-28-2007, 09:39 PM
We still need to see a Jawa and a Death Star Trooper to complete the "Original 12" from the vintage line.

I dunno... the TAC DS Trooper is probably as good as we're going to get. I don't see how they could do it in the Vintage line, unless they drove it on home with a true "Death Squad Commander" type outfit -- i.e., grey uniform, black hat/gloves/boots, and the blue/red striped rank insignia.

The Jawa is another matter. I think Hasbro's gone as far as they can on that type of creature with the TAC figure. I just don't see how it could be made better. A soft goods cloak might work, with some add-ons like a holster and removable bandolier, but so much detailing into such a small figure might render it a failure like the ESB Yoda was.

I'd love to see those vintage cardbacks for those characters reissued (they have more eye appeal than either the Gammorrean Guard or Admiral Ackbar cards did), but I just don't see it happening.

AmanaMatt
06-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Hasbro could do so much better of a Vintage Death Stat Trooper; the one we got was good, but the articulation was too goofy looking.

I agree with the Jawa - not much to really improve on....he would be one heckuva mail away though with the next wave.

DarkArtist
07-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Ok so here's my review of the new Vintage:

Han Solo Hoth: decent figure, my only problem with this figure is the head gear, it just doesn't fit right and to me looks very strange.

Luke Skywalker Bespin : again another decent figure but one one major flaw is the fact that there is no lightsaber hilt and hole to attach one two.

Princess Leia Endor : actually like the figure, great as a diorama character, not worth the pricetag this is a figure that could have been a figure for the regular TAC Waves

Imperial SnowTrooper : amazing figure, major improvement for the original POTF era trooper, and saga version. perhaps one of the few to reach the HOF of Vintage redo.

IG-88 : another amazing figure that surpasses the orginal molds of the character

Bossk : this again I feel is a figure that could have been shuffled into a TAC Wave.

all in all the wave is a decent addition to the Star Wars line and looking forward to seeing what Hasbro will bring to the plate in the future waves of Vintage.

So far my HALL OF FAME for the Vintage line goes like this :

Imperial Scout Trooper
Imperial Snow Trooper
Imperial Stormtrooper
Darth Vader
Boba Fett
Han Solo ANH
Princess Leia
Luke Skywalker X-Wing

bigbarada
07-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Ok so here's my review of the new Vintage:

Han Solo Hoth: decent figure, my only problem with this figure is the head gear, it just doesn't fit right and to me looks very strange.

Luke Skywalker Bespin : again another decent figure but one one major flaw is the fact that there is no lightsaber hilt and hole to attach one two.

Princess Leia Endor : actually like the figure, great as a diorama character, not worth the pricetag this is a figure that could have been a figure for the regular TAC Waves

Imperial SnowTrooper : amazing figure, major improvement for the original POTF era trooper, and saga version. perhaps one of the few to reach the HOF of Vintage redo.

IG-88 : another amazing figure that surpasses the orginal molds of the character

Bossk : this again I feel is a figure that could have been shuffled into a TAC Wave.

all in all the wave is a decent addition to the Star Wars line and looking forward to seeing what Hasbro will bring to the plate in the future waves of Vintage.

So far my HALL OF FAME for the Vintage line goes like this :

Imperial Scout Trooper
Imperial Snow Trooper
Imperial Stormtrooper
Darth Vader
Boba Fett
Han Solo ANH
Princess Leia
Luke Skywalker X-Wing

I'm sorry, but if you feel that Bossk is not vintage quality, then you're just not really looking at the figure.

My vintage HOF would go like this:

Snowtrooper
Bossk
IG-88
Han Solo ANH
Chewbacca
Tusken Raider
Princess Leia ANH
Biker Scout

DarkArtist
07-02-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm sorry, but if you feel that Bossk is not vintage quality, then you're just not really looking at the figure.

My vintage HOF would go like this:

Snowtrooper
Bossk
IG-88
Han Solo ANH
Chewbacca
Tusken Raider
Princess Leia ANH
Biker Scout

the only reason as to why I would put Bossk in with a regular assortment of the TAC line is based on the recent repaint of the VOTC Biker Scout in the Saga line. also I feel it's a very minor character and the most recent Saga version was a great improvement and maybe didn't need a resculpt.

Hasbro has proven time and again that they are willing to repack figures over and over again as well as make great figures that sell for the basic price and far exceed the Vintage line. a great example of this would be the VOTC Threepio vs the recent ROTS and Ewok Diety Threepio.

another reason is the POTF FX-7 medical droid. a great figure and worth every penny of the $6.00 pricetag. Is Hasbro going to give us the same figure on a vintage card and charge and addition $4.00 for the package ?

AmanaMatt
07-02-2007, 10:18 PM
I gotta go with Big Barada on this one; the sculpt of Bossk has way too much detail that would never have been done in the TAC line - the collar is the main thing that jumps out. The paint apps are wayyyyyyyy ahead of anything seen in the TAC line, and regarding the Biker Scout: he has two main colors, black and white. Bossk is a much more complex sculpt.

figrin bran
07-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I gotta go with Big Barada on this one; the sculpt of Bossk has way too much detail that would never have been done in the TAC line - the collar is the main thing that jumps out. The paint apps are wayyyyyyyy ahead of anything seen in the TAC line, and regarding the Biker Scout: he has two main colors, black and white. Bossk is a much more complex sculpt.

Another aspect of VTSC Bossk that puts him lightyears ahead of the Saga version is the paint wash in the head and feet (not so much in the arms though) that really highlight the scales. On Saga Bossk, the scales were there alright but there was no wash over them and they look kind of drab.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Not to mention all of the ball jointed articulation. Even the pics at RS missed pointing out the torso articulation, which appears to be at least partly ball jointed.

Qui-Long Gone
07-03-2007, 11:11 AM
the only reason as to why I would put Bossk in with a regular assortment of the TAC line is based on the recent repaint of the VOTC Biker Scout in the Saga line. also I feel it's a very minor character and the most recent Saga version was a great improvement and maybe didn't need a resculpt.

Hasbro has proven time and again that they are willing to repack figures over and over again as well as make great figures that sell for the basic price and far exceed the Vintage line. a great example of this would be the VOTC Threepio vs the recent ROTS and Ewok Diety Threepio.

I agree....Bossk and IG are cool characters for like 30-45 seconds of screen time in ESB....last year's VOTC Greedo and Tusken Raider demonstrated that some of these minor characters (albiet very cool characters) aren't very $$$ and enjoy long shelf lives.

Is the Bossk VOTC paint and articulation superior, yes...will the figure still be on the shelves this time next year, yes. Ewok Threepio is the perfect example of how much better TAC characters can be than VOTC....

Old Fossil
07-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Is the Bossk VOTC paint and articulation superior, yes...will the figure still be on the shelves this time next year, yes. Ewok Threepio is the perfect example of how much better TAC characters can be than VOTC....

I don't know... Bossk isn't lingering around too much longer than the Snowtrooper in my neck of the woods.

You're right about Threepio. The Ewok Throne version should've been the one in the VOTC packaging in 2004.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-05-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't know... Bossk isn't lingering around too much longer than the Snowtrooper in my neck of the woods.Indeed. I was at Target yesterday and there were plenty of Han, Luke and Leia but not as many Bossk. I think there was one IG-88 and no Snowtroopers.

JON9000
07-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but Target now has these on clearance.

AmanaMatt
07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but Target now has these on clearance.

No shocker there, I must say. Targets are clueless about this line....at $2 more than their nearest competitor, they should be blown out.

figrin bran
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up! i could use another Bossk or two for some Trandoshan customs.

Old Fossil
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM

Finally, I can perhaps pick up a Luke and Leia, after having been taken to the cleaners (albeit willingly) for the others in this line.

What's the clearance price, anyone?

figrin bran
07-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Finally, I can perhaps pick up a Luke and Leia, after having been taken to the cleaners (albeit willingly) for the others in this line.

What's the clearance price, anyone?

I've heard/read reports of $8.38

AmanaMatt
07-07-2007, 05:59 PM
I've heard/read reports of $8.38

That's the amt at my Target, and they are moving for that price....

El Chuxter
07-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow, that was amazingly quick, even for Target.

Qui-Long Gone
07-08-2007, 10:51 AM
.....that's what she said.......:whip:

Old Fossil
07-19-2007, 01:18 PM
With the recent Target VTAC clearance and the gradual drying up of Snowtroopers everywhere over the last month, it looks like this sub-line is grinding to a quick end. Was it a success, or merely a mixed one? And what is your personal tally?

Looking at the fat row of VTAC at TRU yesterday, I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the line didn't go faster at retail. Considering the superior sculpts of Bossk and IG-88, it's too bad the high price point is putting off potential buyers. They're great figures (with a couple of exceptions), but maybe not $10 figures, I have to admit. I don't think the neo-Vintage line will be back for a 4th round.

My final tally for this line was

Bossk - 2 (1 MOC, 1 loose)
IG-88 - 2 (1 MOC, 1 loose)
Luke - 1 (MOC)
Han - 1 (MOC)
Leia - 1 (MOC)
Snowtrooper - 7 (6 loose, 1 MOC)

That ends up being about $130, which woul've bought almost 20 figures at the regular TAC price.

mm74md
07-19-2007, 03:59 PM
I know alot of people complain about the price point on these (Target prices are well deserved). I'm not sure about your local stores, but TAC figures are $6.99 and VTAC are $9.99...not much of difference. I think we've got some really great figures in this line and I hope they continue making them. These are the only figures that I buy 1 to open & 1 to keep carded (except the McFigs).

bigbarada
07-19-2007, 04:37 PM
With the recent Target VTAC clearance and the gradual drying up of Snowtroopers everywhere over the last month, it looks like this sub-line is grinding to a quick end. Was it a success, or merely a mixed one? And what is your personal tally?

Looking at the fat row of VTAC at TRU yesterday, I have to say I'm a little disappointed that the line didn't go faster at retail. Considering the superior sculpts of Bossk and IG-88, it's too bad the high price point is putting off potential buyers. They're great figures (with a couple of exceptions), but maybe not $10 figures, I have to admit. I don't think the neo-Vintage line will be back for a 4th round.

My final tally for this line was

Bossk - 2 (1 MOC, 1 loose)
IG-88 - 2 (1 MOC, 1 loose)
Luke - 1 (MOC)
Han - 1 (MOC)
Leia - 1 (MOC)
Snowtrooper - 7 (6 loose, 1 MOC)

That ends up being about $130, which woul've bought almost 20 figures at the regular TAC price.

Hasbro did say that this wave was being produced in limited numbers when compared to the standard line. So, the fact that they are disappearing would actually be considered a good sign.

Although, I am kind of annoyed that the line seems to be finished for this year. As of now, my local Wal-Mart has yet to see a single shipment of the VTAC figures.

Also, Hasbro has confirmed that they see about two more good assortments of vintage-style figures in the future.

bigbarada
07-19-2007, 04:40 PM
I know alot of people complain about the price point on these (Target prices are well deserved). I'm not sure about your local stores, but TAC figures are $6.99 and VTAC are $9.99...not much of difference. I think we've got some really great figures in this line and I hope they continue making them. These are the only figures that I buy 1 to open & 1 to keep carded (except the McFigs).

Yeah, it's $3... what's the big deal? :confused:

But maybe I'm a little desensitized from collecting carded vintage figures for so long. When you are used to paying $30-$120 for a single figure, $10 seems like childsplay.

AmanaMatt
07-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I remember the days of me living in Ca and not finding anyting - I used to buy figs for $10-15 depending on how bad I wanted them. $9.99 seems like a good price for the "Vintage" line for me.

IF there is a wave next year, Hasbro needs to stop the even packed two of everything style - the pack outs are the biggest problem.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-19-2007, 07:48 PM
My thoughts exactly on the price. Also, I have opened and carded versions of VOTC, VTSC and VTAC. If I can find all the Concept figures, I'll be getting two of each of those. I have two each of the Stormtrooper, Chewbacca, and the Droids, one Luke, and no Boba Fett.

Kidhuman
07-21-2007, 02:25 AM
I picked up Bossk on clearance today. While a nice figure, I dont think he is worth all the hype that has been given out. No way is he better than IG-88 or the Snowtrooper.

bigbarada
07-23-2007, 02:45 AM
I picked up Bossk on clearance today. While a nice figure, I dont think he is worth all the hype that has been given out. No way is he better than IG-88 or the Snowtrooper.

Well, I would strongly disagree with that, but.... whatever floats your boat. I think the Bossk, IG-88 and Snowtrooper figures are all great enough that determining which one is the best of the three is really just a matter of personal preference, along with how much you like the actual character.

Bossk has been one of my favorite Star Wars characters for over a decade now; so, naturally, I'm going to prefer figures of him over just about anyone else in the SW universe.

figrin bran
07-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Well, I would strongly disagree with that, but.... whatever floats your boat. I think the Bossk, IG-88 and Snowtrooper figures are all great enough that determining which one is the best of the three is really just a matter of personal preference, along with how much you like the actual character.

Bossk has been one of my favorite Star Wars characters for over a decade now; so, naturally, I'm going to prefer figures of him over just about anyone else in the SW universe.

Even as a kid, i liked all 3 - Bossk, IG-88 and Snowtrooper and had all 3 of the vintage figs. Taking my equal bias towards all 3 into consideration, I still put Bossk on top with the deciding factors being the nicely sculpted details on the head and arms and the paint wash on the head that highlights the details.

I know I've said this a few times but the VTSC head is even better than the Sideshow one that appears in our board ads.

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 03:37 AM
1 Bossk
1 IG-88 (both this and previous I wanted to get duplicates for, but they dried up on me)
2 Luke
1 Leia
1 Han
3 Snowtroopers

bigbarada
07-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Even as a kid, i liked all 3 - Bossk, IG-88 and Snowtrooper and had all 3 of the vintage figs. Taking my equal bias towards all 3 into consideration, I still put Bossk on top with the deciding factors being the nicely sculpted details on the head and arms and the paint wash on the head that highlights the details.

I know I've said this a few times but the VTSC head is even better than the Sideshow one that appears in our board ads.

I agree completely, the "vintage" figure's head has an organic and lifelike quality that the Sideshow bust just doesn't seem to have. Based on the prototype photos, Sideshow's Bossk head just looks too clean and perfect.

bigbarada
07-23-2007, 05:06 AM
1 Bossk
1 IG-88 (both this and previous I wanted to get duplicates for, but they dried up on me)

If you just wanted duplicate loose figures, Brian's Toys is selling Bossk and IG-88 without the clamshell cases for $4.99 each.

Old Fossil
07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Looks like the VTAC figures are not listed on HasbroToyShop anymore.:bandit:

Devo
07-23-2007, 07:49 PM
JediInsider.com: Why didn't the VTAC Bespin Luke come with a lightsaber hilt and place to put it on his belt?
Hasbro: That would have been cool, but we weren't actually designing the figure to match the packaging reference (on the card artwork, he's shown with the hilt hanging from his belt). Instead, we designed what we thought was a good complete figure as specified. That's a good idea to add on if we use the figure tool again.

Is it just me or does this answer make no rational sense whatsoever? First of all why wouldn't you design the figure to match the packaging referance? That isn't just some publicity still with no bearing on the film, Luke does in fact wear his lightsaber hilt on his belt in the film. Theres a pretty good reason to follow the example of this packaging referance right there. Its film accurate. Secondly, a good complete figure was preferred? In what way would a good complete figure not have been achieved were the lightsaber hilt and peghole included? Methinks that would have enhanced the 'completeness' if anything.

And the last sentence confirms the insult. Its 'a good idea to add on if we use the figure tool again'. Wow they don't even deny it. What should have been a definitive figure will instead be kept from being perfect so we can make you buy the slightly better one in the future.

figrin bran
07-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Looks like the VTAC figures are not listed on HasbroToyShop anymore.:bandit:

They are still listed there! It's just that they've been moved over to Saga Collection figures.

AmanaMatt
07-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Devo - I hear ya! I do not think that most of the Hasbro people look at the Star Wars brand with the same kind of detailed eye we all do, and it is frustrating.

JediTricks
07-25-2007, 02:46 PM
If you just wanted duplicate loose figures, Brian's Toys is selling Bossk and IG-88 without the clamshell cases for $4.99 each.Good to know, thanks. I may take them up on that, I'll check at the con first though.

JediInsider.com: Why didn't the VTAC Bespin Luke come with a lightsaber hilt and place to put it on his belt?
Hasbro: That would have been cool, but we weren't actually designing the figure to match the packaging reference (on the card artwork, he's shown with the hilt hanging from his belt). Instead, we designed what we thought was a good complete figure as specified. That's a good idea to add on if we use the figure tool again.

Is it just me or does this answer make no rational sense whatsoever? First of all why wouldn't you design the figure to match the packaging referance? That isn't just some publicity still with no bearing on the film, Luke does in fact wear his lightsaber hilt on his belt in the film. Theres a pretty good reason to follow the example of this packaging referance right there. Its film accurate. Secondly, a good complete figure was preferred? In what way would a good complete figure not have been achieved were the lightsaber hilt and peghole included? Methinks that would have enhanced the 'completeness' if anything.

And the last sentence confirms the insult. Its 'a good idea to add on if we use the figure tool again'. Wow they don't even deny it. What should have been a definitive figure will instead be kept from being perfect so we can make you buy the slightly better one in the future.Yeah, that one really annoyed the crap out of me. There's no reason they couldn't have done this, they just copped out.

Kidhuman
07-25-2007, 03:10 PM
After the shipping from Brians Toys, it will be the same as regular price in a store, so just buy it there.

Devo
07-25-2007, 07:06 PM
And the other irritating thing is that the VTSC pilot Luke and the TAC yavin ceremony Luke have hilts and pegholes for them in the belts. I don't think Luke carried a sabre on his belt while wearing either of those outfits in ANH. Yet the pilot Luke was part of the vintage line and no less 'complete as specified' for having a sabre hilt and peghole - incomplete for the worst ball-joint head ever done if anything. The Yavin Luke is a basic figure at basic figure price, has vintage style articulation and a sabre hilt - apart from the seemingly prescribed crap mark hamill likeness and overly pale skin this is a rather complete figure too.

It should have been a no-brainer for VTSC Bespin Luke to have this feature aswell, since he did quite noticeably wear the hilt on his belt whilst wearing this outfit in ESB and Hasbro ought to be striving for accuracy. Also its a vintage figure - we pay enough for it.

Kidhuman
07-25-2007, 07:22 PM
He had one in his snowspeeder outfit(Hoth), so he might have had it on his X-wing outfit. Dont recall any shots of his waist though to remember about his X-wing outfit.

AmanaMatt
07-26-2007, 11:07 AM
ARGH! I went to my local Target for the first time in a week, and the VTAC on the pegs are down to 2 Bossks and one Leia...the fact there is one extra Bossk than Leia is an insult...she is the worst fig in this line and has just outsold the far superior Bossk! :D

The $8.68(?) amt at Target was the magic number it seems...I figure that the VTAC line has sold reasonably well this year, which is good.

Old Fossil
08-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Well the VTAC is long gone from my Target. TRU still has 3 Leia, 2 Bossk, and 1 IG-88.

Those Leia's will still probably be there at full price come '08.lol

AmanaMatt
08-03-2007, 03:38 PM
I hope this year's Vintage was considered a success..

Kidhuman
08-03-2007, 03:57 PM
I just picked up a Leia today at 2.98 at Target. I really like this figure and do not think it is the worst of the bunch. Here is my list:

IG-88
Snowtrooper
Bossk
Leia
Luke
Han

AmanaMatt
08-04-2007, 07:48 PM
I totally agree with your top three, but Han at the bottom? Worse than Leia....!!!!! Whoa......am I the only one that loves the Hoth Han? I think he is a great figure...

pbarnard
08-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Here's my impression of this year: only 2 (IG-88 and Leia) of the 5 were necessary updates.

Regardless of the execution, an Endor/Home One Briefing Leia is a needed update. Nice helmet, poncho, belt w/blaster. The neck is the problem here out of the poncho, but turning her and aiming the gun helps too. Plus putting the belt on her waist definitely takes the emphasis off the hips.

IG-88 was nice because this is probably the most accurate there's ever been in terms of sculpt. It's the class of the line. It is also a bit top heavy, so while its ankles won't warp like earlier version, it will tilt forward after just a week.

Han Solo isn't needed. This is the 3rd VOTC and Han Solo has been included in all 3. Top it off, they used a gimic that didn't really pull off, and Hoth version has had 2 PotF2 versions (Card, Beast), 1 PotJ version that's been included in several multipacks since. It's overkill. I'm also personally biased against this mold because this is the only version of Han I had growing up. So after 30 years of the figure, I don't want to see more.

Bossk was unneeded. There was small tweaking of the OTC version that was just released less than 2 years ago. That was a quantum leap better. It's like a razor blade that went from 3-4 blades while the competitors all go to 5. Nice safe choice, could've been better.

Snow Trooper. Gee, been a pack in with a removable helmet. Been in the OTC with a resculpt. Been in the PotF2 as a card and deluxe fig. It suffers from the Hoth Han syndrom. Must be a knee jerk reaction, release a Hoth Han, Release a Snowtrooper.

My thoughs, and reflects my purchase of only 2 of them and passing on the rest.

Kidhuman
08-05-2007, 12:57 AM
I totally agree with your top three, but Han at the bottom? Worse than Leia....!!!!! Whoa......am I the only one that loves the Hoth Han? I think he is a great figure...

Yeah dude. Han looks like he is pregnant and they resculpted him from preggers Padme. Luke is meh at best. Leia was done nicely with the poncho on. I could even go as far as to flip flop her and Bossk.

waboritas
08-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Played the return game at Target this week. Originally bought Han, Bossk, IG and Snowtrooper for $8.38 each. Was able to buy and return enough Leias, Hans and Bossks @ $2.98 each so I ended up with Han, Bossk, IG, (2) Leias and a Snowtrooper for $18 and tax total. Pretty decent savings. They are too expensive to take a huge gamble on the clearance sale, so I was not able to troop build the way I would have liked to. May pick up more Leias if I find them to troop build females for the Rebel Strike Team on Endor.

Devo
08-05-2007, 02:30 PM
My order of preferance for best VTSC2 figures:

1)Bespin Luke (despite the lack of any facial resemblance whatsoever as it is the most useful character in the line)

2)Bossk (detail, appearance and articulation can't be faulted)

3)Snowtrooper (rounds out the SA legions of armored imperial troops)

4)IG-88 (crappy looking character done brilliantly well)

5)Hoth Han (not my favourite outfit, good for only limited scenes but well done in my opinion - now we just need a hood up version)

6)Leia endor (badly needed but this one again misses the mark due to having the wrong colour poncho - I thought it was important - and the worst ball-joint neck ever seen and another doll-like Leia Likeness. The rest of the sculpt is good though)

My order of preferance in terms of their improvements over older versions:

1) IG-88 (never thought it was needed but now I can hardly stand to look at the POTJ version let alone the SOTE one)

2) Snowtrooper (beats the narrow waisted POTF2 one quite easily and vastly improves articulation)

3) Bossk (miles ahead of both POTF2 and Saga versions in every respect - I have yet to identify any significant ways in which the saga version is better than the POTF2 one, a few extra swivel joints are barely noticeable - I think of the Saga one as more of a variant than a resculpt - if anything the potf2 one is better due to a more straight leg pose)

4) Bespin Luke (its the articulation that does it. Likeness-wise it isn't any better than the POTF2 version)

5) Endor Leia (at least its scaled down unlike the POTJ General figure which is a case of giantism) and Hoth Han (miles superior to the POTF2 figure and the detail and neutral posing rank it above the saga one)

AmanaMatt
08-05-2007, 07:27 PM
I agree with that list. For me, in terms of 'necessary' upgrades, I think that Ig-88, Bossk, and the Snowtrooper are HUGE upgrades from their previous counterparts. Hoth Han is much better than the previous, Luke is Meh and Leia just plain should have been in the reg line.

I respect everyone's opinion ( I do), but when I hear people say Bossk offers no improvement or was not a necessary upgrade, I am FLABBERGASTED by such a statement, and truly wonder if those people ever saw the old Bossk figures.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-05-2007, 07:56 PM
I think with Bossk, people probably thought that the Saga one was a pretty good upgrade, and don't realize how good the new figure is. Or, if they do, they still think that getting a third version of this figure was unnecessary when there are other ones that need updating and never before done figures to be made. That was kind of my reaction. I think I have six Bossks now - POTF2, Saga, OTC (still carded as I wanted a complete set of OTC on cards), the bounty hunter multipack, and two VTAC (one open and one carded).

Now that I have the figure, I see that it is far superior to the previous versions, and it one of the best vintage style figures they have done. Still, given his limited screen time, it's arguable as to whether this was a necessary figure.

bigbarada
08-05-2007, 08:03 PM
when I hear people say Bossk offers no improvement or was not a necessary upgrade, I am FLABBERGASTED by such a statement, and truly wonder if those people ever saw the old Bossk figures.

I have the POTF2, Saga and VTAC Bossks loose and when I set them side by side, take off my glasses, stand ten feet back and squint my eyes, I can see what people are talking about when they say that the VTAC version is only a minor improvement. Otherwise, it's night and day.

On a scale of 1-10, the original vintage figure is a 2, the POTF2 version is a 5, the Saga figure is a 6 and the VTAC version is an 11 (above and beyond what Hasbro needed to do to make this figure great).

Mad Slanted Powers
08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
This (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TAC/VTSCbosskcomp.jpg&text=Vintage&#37;20|%20POTF2%20|%20Ultimate%20Bounty%2 0|%20SAGA/OTC%20|%20VTSC) is a good comparison of them all.

El Chuxter
08-05-2007, 08:54 PM
The one on the far left is best. I'm not sure why they bothered with the other four.

Old Fossil
08-05-2007, 10:28 PM
The Snowtrooper is now listed as "out of stock" at HTS.:cry:

bigbarada
08-05-2007, 11:36 PM
The one on the far left is best. I'm not sure why they bothered with the other four.

I'd buy a fifth Bossk figure before I ever bought figures of young Owen and Beru.:p

El Chuxter
08-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Whereas I'd buy young Owen and Beru in both their AOTC and ROTS costumes. :p

If we see another Bossk-styled character in the future, it had better be one of the Saurins instead.

Old Fossil
08-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Wasn't there supposed to be a "revision" wave of these Vintage figs on the way, with something like 7 Snowtroopers and 1 each of the other figures? Maybe I am confused... I cannot find a listing for such a case assortment on EE's website.

Kidhuman
08-08-2007, 03:25 PM
There was, I dont know the release date on them though

JediTricks
08-09-2007, 03:52 PM
6 Snowtroopers and 1 of everybody else (2 of Luke), HasbroToyShop got them but I dunno who else actually ordered them. They're hitting now, but no idea how many of these cases we'll see. The case is right here on EE, it's the revision 1 case: http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS87295A1

DarkArtist
08-12-2007, 09:33 AM
this is weird. the other day while organizing my collection I came upon an idea to take a few of the better Princess Leia figures and put them on a shelf along with my GG Slave Leia statue, you know sort of a tribute to the Princess kind of thing. anyway, I grabbed the VOTC Princess Leia from the first series out of the box and as I was putting in on the shelf I noticed some type of brown paint stain on her tunic, and my fingers. I quickly washed my hands and rubbed the smear off the figure and noticed that the paint was coming off of the figure's head.
now I have a balding VOTC Leia. It's very wierd that a figure that came out 3 years ago would still have a paint ap that somewhat wet ? anyone else run into something like this ? I mean I still have a VOTC Leia MOC but don't want to remove it from the card and not sure if I want to pay scalper prices on ebay for another one.

bigbarada
08-12-2007, 05:32 PM
this is weird. the other day while organizing my collection I came upon an idea to take a few of the better Princess Leia figures and put them on a shelf along with my GG Slave Leia statue, you know sort of a tribute to the Princess kind of thing. anyway, I grabbed the VOTC Princess Leia from the first series out of the box and as I was putting in on the shelf I noticed some type of brown paint stain on her tunic, and my fingers. I quickly washed my hands and rubbed the smear off the figure and noticed that the paint was coming off of the figure's head.
now I have a balding VOTC Leia. It's very wierd that a figure that came out 3 years ago would still have a paint ap that somewhat wet ? anyone else run into something like this ? I mean I still have a VOTC Leia MOC but don't want to remove it from the card and not sure if I want to pay scalper prices on ebay for another one.

Sounds more like some kind of solvent got dropped on your Leia's head at some point after she was opened.

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 11:32 PM
It could be something stored nearby, certain types of fumes will cause paint to bubble up and disconnect itself from the base material, I'm told. I just checked mine, it's not doing that, but I was surprised to note that the paint did actually have a smell after all these years - granted, it's been in semi-sealed condition for the whole time I've owned it, but it's still fairly unusual.

DarkArtist
08-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Finally got my VTAC Coin set today. It only took two and half months.

AmanaMatt
08-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Finally got my VTAC Coin set today. It only took two and half months.

Why does it take them so long to send this stuff out...? I have yet to send mine in, and may not bother.....

Kidhuman
08-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Why does it take them so long to send this stuff out...? I have yet to send mine in, and may not bother.....

I havent mailed mine off yet either. I really dont care for the coins at all. I have em in the book, but am not buying every figure, so these really dont matter.

Old Fossil
10-24-2007, 10:57 AM
6 Snowtroopers and 1 of everybody else (2 of Luke), HasbroToyShop got them but I dunno who else actually ordered them. They're hitting now, but no idea how many of these cases we'll see. The case is right here on EE, it's the revision 1 case: http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS87295A1

The release date for this revision case is slated for November, according to the linked page on EE. I hope it happens, because I want more Snowtroopers without having to buy the Target exclusive Hoth Ultimate Battle Pack.

Darth Cruel
10-24-2007, 12:12 PM
It will be nice if they can still get them. I would like to get some more. I found this revision at Target when they went on clearance for 3.00 each. It was nice to be able to bulid them at that price.

JediTricks
10-24-2007, 04:13 PM
The release date for this revision case is slated for November, according to the linked page on EE. I hope it happens, because I want more Snowtroopers without having to buy the Target exclusive Hoth Ultimate Battle Pack.
EE's release dates are often a little sketchy, sometimes they mean when they'll be ready to ship to customers rather than when they're expected to arrive from Hasbro, and sometimes they just get stuff late.