PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Tycho
05-19-2007, 02:02 AM
OK, I finally saw POTC. It was my first time. I rented both movies and planned on doing a marathon but I haven't watched Dead Man's Chest yet.

But CotBP was pretty awesome. It interested me more than I thought I would and there were things in the movie that corellate with things on the ride - like the dog with the keys.

The whole Will Turner storyline was cool as well. Johnny Depp does make a good pirate. Kierra Knightly can act as well. The guy playing Captain Barbados was cool as well. I like the story about how Sparrow lost and struggled to regain the Black Pearl.

I think I'm going to like this genre of films altogether.

TeeEye7
05-19-2007, 05:46 AM
:Pirate: Arrgh! Welcome aboard, matey!

The movies are a hoot (remember, it ain't art, just enjoy the ride!). I'm really looking forward to the final installment and all the suprises waiting within!

I'm especially looking forward to this soundtrack, too. Awesome stuff, Hans!

Tycho
05-19-2007, 06:14 AM
I still haven't seen the 2nd one yet - it's on my kitchen table. But I might watch No.1 again first. I liked it alot.

YES! The orchesteral music was awesome. The guy did a really nice job.

TeeEye7
05-19-2007, 07:13 AM
YES! The orchesteral music was awesome. The guy did a really nice job.

If Hans Zimmer were here, he'd thank you! The boy's got quite a resumé.

General_Grievous
05-19-2007, 02:23 PM
You just saw it now? What were you waiting for, Tych? ;)

Glad to hear you liked it. Most people love the first one. The second one is a different story. There are those who love it and those who hate it. I loved it. I thought it was on par with the first one.

But you have to admit, even though Geoffrey Rush did a great job as Barbossa, this movie would have gone nowhere if Johnny Depp wasn't in it. Seriously, Jack Sparrow is to the '00s what Indiana Jones was to the '80s.

JediTricks
05-19-2007, 04:56 PM
I loved this movie, I didn't see it in theaters, we rented it for my niece on Thanksgiving, watched about 20 minutes but she had to go to her father's, so we restarted and watched the whole thing and it was amazing. I recently bought the DVD on sale for $10. They really did a fantastic job capturing the flavor of the ride while expanding it to new heights.

The sequel goes a different direction, it's not quite as good but I found it very entertaining, I saw it twice in theaters - they have been really penny-pinching that DVD though, costing twice the first movie's DVD, so I haven't bought it yet, but I probably will. The movie reminds me in a lot of ways of ESB, but I think it could have been the end of the saga and still worked too - I won't say more until you've seen it.

joshephe
05-19-2007, 05:35 PM
any of you watch the scenes at the end of the credits?

Tycho
05-19-2007, 06:55 PM
any of you watch the scenes at the end of the credits?

No, but now that you mention it, I'll watch the credits all the way through.

Besides, the music's great so why not?

General_Grievous
05-19-2007, 07:24 PM
they have been really penny-pinching that DVD though, costing twice the first movie's DVD, so I haven't bought it yet, but I probably will.

It's not really penny-pinching, as the DVD for "Dead Man's Chest" has only been out a few months (which is why it's still in the $20 range), compared to the first one, which has been out on DVD for almost four years (which is why they lowered the price of that down to $10). Give it just a little longer. They'll have price cuts for the second movie soon, considering that both the third movie and the Blu-ray release of the first two movies hit next week.

bobafrett
05-19-2007, 09:06 PM
I enjoyed both the first two Pirates movies. I am waiting to see the third, but I want to see it in the Theatre. I skipped the second film because it got so so reviews, plus lack of time to see it. It's different now, I have extra time available to see movies now, and I will catch the third installment hopefully within the first two weeks.

Tycho
05-20-2007, 12:32 AM
I still haven't watched the second one, I loved the first one so much I watched it again.

I plan to buy these movies as I'll miss them when I return my rentals. I wasn't sure I expected that. But POTC is seriously cool. I'm more into it than when I watched The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter movies. POTC rocks!

Anyway, Kierra Knightley! Nice! Wow: is she Natalie Portman's clone or what? I now see why they chose her to play Sabe in TPM. Honestly, there's celebrity look-alikes in the extreme! I can't help but think it's Natalie playing Elizabeth Swan. But actually, if I were to only consider Portman's Star Wars performance (a lot to blame on Lucas' script), I'd say Kierra Knightley is a better actress. But the script to POTC is better.

Note I'm not saying the STORY is better. But the way it is presented in POTC makes a lot of the difference and Knightley had the lines to act with.

JediTricks
05-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Ok, I might give you that DVD pricing thing, but it still seems really high compared to other recently-released movies on DVD right now.

POTC2 I think is a better film in the theater than at home because of the visual impact of everything, the camera really fills up with beautiful vistas and exciting action and amazing characters, seeing it less than in a cinematic size would diminish that. Plus, it's more of a "ride" that way, you let the director take control of the environment in a cinema.

General_Grievous
05-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Still, JT, keep watch for sales for the second film this week. I'm sure that at least one of the major chains will mark down the price of both films to tie in with the third film.

JediTricks
05-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks, that's a good idea. It's not the best timing though, what with all the insane amounts of SW and Transformers and movie tix and other stuff coming down the pike next week, I'll need to start selling blood and limbs. :p