PDA

View Full Version : Wave 5 PIC!

Battle Droid
05-20-2007, 09:54 AM
http://208.122.8.193/tenike1/images/collection/5-19-07/30thwave5.jpg

Kidhuman
05-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Anakin looks pretty good as does the Ithorian Jedi. Glad to see 3PO has the eye pop out.

jedibear
05-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Cool! Herme Odle is not a myth! Yeah!

jjreason
05-20-2007, 10:35 AM
No kidding! Hermi Odle at last. :thumbsup: The stormtrooper looks similar to the one now shipping in the Tantive IV pack - nice. I like the Ithorian as well, but Yoda on the beast is the EU figure to beat here by a wide margin. Very cool.

jedi master sal
05-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Okay I'm VERY happy about the Stormtrooper. I'll look to army build him.
McVader is cool of course and I'll need three of him. (1 carded/2 loose two display with the different helmets)
Hermi Odle-YES!!!
C-3PO with Salacious Crumb and eye popping action...cool.
Roron Corobb (Ithorian Jedi)-Nice, will make a good companion to the Talz Jedi.
Yoda on Kybuck looks Amazing. And FINALLY a brown soft goods robe for the master. Yeah, he might not have worn it in the moveis but so what, this is an EU design anyway.
Clone Wars Anakin- Hmm, didn't know about this one. Doesn't look like a great fig, but I'll bite and get one.
Darth Revan is cool, just wich we would have had a different sculpt of him/her with multiple heads. Still I'll def. pick this one up.
Darth Malak-except for teh head, the rest of teh figure looks good. I'll have to see close-ups of the head to make a better determination. I'm sure I'll get one though.
McLuke (last on the bottom right)-Ok, sure. Not what I was expecting, but we had been given hints that it was a female.

So now the question is, who the hell is that figure between Malak and McLuke?? It's not McChewie. Doesn't look any character I've ever seen in the movies or the cartoons. Could this be Pre Cyborg Greivous?? That's my only reasonable guess. Well if so, I'll need to see the haed up close on this one too. I'm not liking the "wings" that come out from his eye sockets. Otherwise, yeah, I'll bite and get one of him too.

http://208.122.8.193/tenike1/images/collection/5-19-07/30thwave5.jpg

Battle Droid
05-20-2007, 10:45 AM
So now the question is, who the hell is that figure between Malak and McLuke?? It's not McChewie. Doesn't look any character I've ever seen in the movies or the cartoons. Could this be Pre Cyborg Greivous?? That's my only reasonable guess. Well if so, I'll need to see the haed up close on this one too. I'm not liking the "wings" that come out from his eye sockets. Otherwise, yeah, I'll bite and get one of him too.

Yeah that's Pre-Cyborg Grievous.:D

Phantom-like Menace
05-20-2007, 10:51 AM
I already knew I'd want Roron, Malak and Revan and probably a stormtrooper, but I find myself wanting only the second concept figure I've ever wanted. The first was concept Fett and now I want concept Luke. Yoda on Kybuck does look better than I figured it would, and I'll probably grab Grievous and Anakin just to finish the EU for that set.

Old Fossil
05-20-2007, 12:07 PM
LOVE the Ithorian Jedi (I see they've given him the concept Stormie saber), and the Yoda/Kybuck. Good to see the Stormie and Vader shipping with this wave.

As for the rest -- including Hermi -- I don't know what it is, but there is something about all of 'em (including the ones I like) that doesn't look like Star Wars figures. They look like those "Avatar" character figures or something else Anime. Maybe it's just the lighting in the photo. At any rate, much of this wave will be an easy "pass" for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2007, 12:52 PM
This wave looks overall pretty great.

Hermie Odle will likely have a hard time standing up, what with those tiny legs.

C-3PO looks like he won't be vac-metal, but he was kind of dull on the Sail Barge so it works. I love the pop-out eye and articulated Salacious Crumb, both of which I've wanted for years.

Roron Corobb will look awesome next to Foul Moudama. Good thing they waited until they could finally do Ithorians right.

Yoda on the Kybuck is freakin' awesome. Even though, wasn't Yoda wearing the tan cloak when he rode it? Either way, I wanted a brown-cloak Yoda as well.

Nelvaan Anakin looks better than I thought he would, for some reason. I wonder if his right arm will come off, like in the cartoon?

Darth Revan/Darth Malak - meh, these are alright. I'm not a huge fan of KOTOR.

Qymaen jai Sheelal - he looks different from how I thought he would. Wait, nevermind, I see he's holding a mask. He looks pretty cool.

Starkiller Hero - it looks like the helmet is removable, which is nice. He/she'll go well with the others.

General_Grievous
05-20-2007, 12:56 PM
They all look great, but I'll only be picking up Hermi and Threepio. The Salacious Crumb is a very nice touch. They seem to have taken creative license with the pre-cyborg Grievous because he's never taken off his mask. Yoda w/ Kybuck looks pretty bad@$$, as does the Roron Corobb. But once again, it'll only be Hermi and Threepio for me.

jjreason
05-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Dang, I had assumed that alien was McChewie and never took a second glance. Too bad he and Pre-borg GG look so similar... I had envisioned GG a LOT differently (but that's no surprise).

Battle Droid
05-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Yoda on the Kybuck is freakin' awesome. Even though, wasn't Yoda wearing the tan cloak when he rode it? Either way, I wanted a brown-cloak Yoda as well.

He was wearing the brown one while riding it in Chapter 1.

Devo
05-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Excellent looking figures. I'll definitely be buying all the OT figures but now Yoda on kybuck, tattoo Anakin, Roron and the pre-cyborg Grievous look like must buys. The rest of the figures certainly look well done but I'm not in the least bit interested in computer game characters - I don't consider games to be canon. Love that little Yoda!!

Darth Cruel
05-20-2007, 02:32 PM
The Stormtrooper is not the one from the Tantive IV Battle Pack. It is the one from wave 4 just as the concept Vader is(were they both scheuled for wave 4 or did they come out early?). You can see the chest articulation on this one. Isn't this one supposed to be the SA one with removeable helmet. If it is...the helmet looks better than I thought it would (judging by this pic anyway, and I know that means squat). If it looks that good in-hand, I will build him. I am guessing, though that I will be getting a chance to catch up on some missed earlier troop-building. What an awesome wave this is, though. 9 new figures. Isn't that the most new figures ever released in a single wave?

mabudonicus
05-20-2007, 02:40 PM
The colours in the pic make it look like all the figs are "comic book 2 pack" style
I imagine they won't be so "exciting" in "real life"... I hope at least
:beard: Iso & Baws
Hermi Odle is lookin pretty sweet.

Darth Cruel
05-20-2007, 04:33 PM
I only just noticed that Pre-cyborg Grievous has his mask in his hand...I am glad they included it for anyone who wants him looking accurate to his comic book depiction. I personally don't care. But I do like removeable accessories so it is good for me in that aspect.

Droid
05-20-2007, 04:54 PM
I can't believe that they arent' expected until September! I can't believe how pushed back this year's release schedule has been. Here it is mid-May and most people can't find Waves 1 or 2 and no one has Wave 3 yet!

DarkArtist
05-20-2007, 05:02 PM
another cool wave. everything looks great but I sort of on the fence with the pre-cyborg grievous. will have to see it alone before I can vote on it. the rest of the wave looks hot though.

Droid
05-20-2007, 05:27 PM
I am very excited about Hermi Odle, but the coloring is way off. It looked more like Hermi Odle if he was in a cartoon. He should be almost entirely brown. His skin should be gray/brown, not so purpelish, and his cloak is not green. I'll buy the figure, but I think they were trying to spruce him up, make him more colorful for kids.. which I hate.

Click on the picture of him from the movie at:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/hermiodle/

figrin bran
05-20-2007, 07:35 PM
i guess i'll be repainting Hermi to look more accurate

i like every single figure in this wave and will probably preorder it from EE. that Yoda on Kybuck turned out much much better than i thought it would!

Snowtrooper
05-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Quick thoughts on wave 5:

-It'll be nice to be able to have another shot at getting the stormtrooper and McVader since they are probably going to be next to impossible to find.

Herml Odle-Rather bizarre looking, but so are all of Jabba's denizens. Does he seem kind of short, especially since he's supposed to be about the size of Ephant Mon?

C3P0/SC-Popout eye is kind of neat. Also comes with green slime. I hope he is vac-metaled, not painted. SC seems to be an improvement over recent versions.

Roron Corobb-Not real exciting, seems to lack detailing of recent figures. Maybe I'll be impressed later.

Yoda & Kybuck-Probably the most exciting figure of the wave(unless I haven't found McVader by then). Kybuck looks to be pretty well made although I'm sure he'll need a stand.

Tattoo Anakin-Kind of plain, but I'm sure I'll get one.

Darth Revan-I'm not familiar with the character, but it looks pretty good. Sith lords will most likely be welcome in my collection

Darth Malak-See Above

McQuarrie Luke/Leia-An interesting addition to the series, but probably the least exciting of the McQuarrie line.

tagmac
05-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Not sure if I'm gonna get the EU characters out of this wave, but I'll see when they finally hit stores.

Considering the only way I've been able to get any of the TAC waves was to order them from EE, I'm not sure I'll EVER see these unless Hasbro increases the production numbers.

Slicker
05-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Awesome!!! A wave of almost ALL EU figures!!!

The NON EU figures look great though.

Tycho
05-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Hmmm. On first impression, I wasn't too impressed.

Stormtrooper - don't need
Vader - don't need
Herme Odle - looks very cartoony actually. I'm not too impressed with the paint.**
C-3PO - don't need. Does look kind of cool though. It's a nice sculpt.
Roron Corrab - looks cartoony, but would be improved with Jedi robe.*****
Yoda on Kybuck - looks cool. I don't need him though.
Anakin - don't need.
Revan - don't need.
Malak - don't need
Grievous - not too impressed. Maybe I can use as a Coruscant alien?
female Luke concept - might work as a Mos Eisley / Mos Espa local.**

** These are the only ones I plan to buy. It's not a bad wave I guess. But it's not to my taste. That's all.

****** I'll get Roron Corrab only because I thought Shaak-Ti was awesome in that cartoon and I caved and bought the Talz Jedi as well as some extra Grievous Body Guards back in the day to do that scene, so....

Kidhuman
05-21-2007, 12:15 AM
The concept Luke looks like a Polis Massa

Phantom-like Menace
05-21-2007, 01:09 AM
The concept Luke looks like a Polis Massa

When I first saw the picture I thought the same thing. Then for one moment of panic I remembered they were making another Mara Jade figure and I thought this was supposed to be her. I then had to look at the wave 5 and 6 thread here to figure out it was concept Luke. I'm probably going to pick her up and throw her in the cantina. I've already named her Lucia Starkiller in my head.

figrin bran
05-21-2007, 01:22 AM
PLM, there already are pics of the Mara Jade figure in one of the comic pack threads.

plasticfetish
05-21-2007, 03:21 AM
This is a great looking wave! This and wave 4 before it have me very excited. (So nice to see some real variety... and not one clone repaint in the bunch.)

Phantom-like Menace
05-21-2007, 06:29 AM
PLM, there already are pics of the Mara Jade figure in one of the comic pack threads.

Oh, yeah. I forgot we'd seen that, Darth/Leia, and Dark Woman/Tusken dude quite some time ago. Stupid memory. Thanks for giving it a jog.

bigbarada
05-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Is that a "disco fever" Hammerhead? :stupid:

Anyways, YAY FOR HERMIE!!!:thumbsup: He looks good so far. Any apparent shortcomings are kind of what I would expect from a hand-painted prototype. He'll look a bit different on the card as far as colors go. But I don't mind Hasbro amping up the colors slightly, Jabba's palace was very dimly lit and dreary. Maybe there was more color in there than the cameras were able to pick up.

Threepio looks great, although I hope that if he isn't vac-metalized, then he won't look so drab in the final product.

Princess Luke looks awesome! I definitely want one of her, this almost makes up for the C4 McQuarrie exclusives..... almost....

The rest of row 2 look nice; but I'm not interested because they're not Star Wars figures as far as I'm concerned.

JEDIpartner
05-21-2007, 09:37 AM
I've got the Vader coming with another assortment, apparently. I'll probably just get Hermi, Starkiller, Roron, Anakin and Yoda.

pegger
05-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Well - I hope the paint on Hermie is better when wave 5 comes out - it looks a little cartoonish..

C-3P0 - the popped out eye is a nice touch.

Robb looks great.

Yoda on the Kybuck looks incredible too! That's going to be one big package!

Ani is OK
Malak and Revan are OK too - look like the game.

Starkiller hero will look good with the concept figs.

Grievous is ...meh?

Overall I like the wave - but I liked the Clone Wars cartoons and like those figs especially. It is a rather small canon wave (2 figs)

Qui-Long Gone
05-21-2007, 11:08 AM
I think this is a good wave in terms of having some fairly unique figures. I can always use another stormtrooper and I think the Roron, Herme, 3PO and Yoda look great....

I could care less for the Anakin (although I loved that episode), Grevious, Malak/Revan (they just look plain silly), or Starkiller.

mtriv73
05-21-2007, 11:26 AM
I like all the figures and will pick them all up. The only thing that concerns me is that this is the 3rd wave in a row with the stormtrooper. I never thought I'd say this, but they may be pegwarming by the end of the year (assuming hasbro ever actually gets any figures into the stores.)

Qui-Long Gone
05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but they may be pegwarming by the end of the year (assuming hasbro ever actually gets any figures into the stores.)

Not around here....I'll be lucky to find one or two....although I wish your prediction were true....

jedi master sal
05-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Not around here....I'll be lucky to find one or two....although I wish your prediction were true....

Be careful what you wish for...

Devo
05-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Pegwarming VOTC stormtroopers? Yes I Wish I Wish I Wish. Please let it happen. Far better that than countless numbers of scene specific Hans and Lukes.

JediTricks
05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Stormtrooper looks good, hopefully the wider stance than the VOTC will stick on this and it'll be a winner, even the removable helmet looks like a decent size. 2 or more of these for me.

Hermi Odle indeed looks cartoony, the colors are too brash, and his face is still idiotic. Pass.

3PO w/ Salacious isn't bad, I want to see more of it though. Likely just 1 for me.

Roron Corobb is a character I've never liked, and the eyes here are quite cartoony, so pass.

Yoda on Kybuck looks so un-SW that I cannot imagine ever being anything but repulsed by this on shelves.

Tats Anakin isn't a concept I really want to further, it was a very strange and unwelcome left turn in the CW series, but the figure's likeness might be good enough to make me think twice.

Darth Revan holds no interest for me, unless he blows me away in person I'll be passing.

Darth Malak looks actively silly, it's MOTU's Trap-Jaw but taller and skinnier and with a bad outfit. I highly doubt this will be offering me anything worth changing my mind.

Pre-Grievous looks pretty out there, seems quite un-SW again, and he's not even tall, what the hell? The mask may sell me on this one, but I highly doubt it.

Lady Luke doesn't look as good as it should, but it could be a bad photo, I'll get it but likely not get 2.

figrin bran
05-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Roron Corobb is a character I've never liked, and the eyes here are quite cartoony, so pass.

too bad you have to see Roron every time i post! :p

K M Toydarian
05-22-2007, 01:20 AM
As a whole I like this wave and think they will do well to keep the SW franchise alive after the movies and into new TV territory.

The only problem I have with another stormtrooper in the wave is I will be buying more of them instead of cutting back. I really decided to buy all my figures by the case to reduce the hunt and gas, but the stormtrooper is so good looking, I will end up getting more than I should probably budget for.
Excess is part of the hobby I guess.

Tycho
05-22-2007, 01:41 AM
As a whole I like this wave and think they will do well to keep the SW franchise alive after the movies and into new TV territory.

I love the EU, but this is not exactly what I want out of it. My list would include:

TOTJ: Ulic, Nomi, Exar, Arca, Cay, Tott, Sith War Droids, and so forth.

JA: 13 yr. Obi-Wan, Bant, Xanatos, Guerra, etc.

Republic: Autem Segurro, Master Tholme, etc. (they did great making A'Sharad, Quinlan, etc.)

SOTE: Jixx, Leebo, Guri, Black Sun agent, Koth Melan, Leia as Prisoner

NR era: Leia as Chief Executive, Mara as Jedi, Talon Kaarde, Noghri, Kyp Durron, Admiral Palleon, Joruus C'Boath, older Lando, Luke as Jedi Master, etc.

NJO: Yuuzhan Vong warrior, Nos Choka, Supreme Overlord Shimra, Nom Anor, Jacen Solo, Anakin Solo, Jaina Solo (Jedi), Jaina Solo (pilot)

Legacy: Cade Skywalker, Darth Kraayt, Imperial Jedi, Emperor Fel, etc.

This sort of thing.

bigbarada
05-22-2007, 09:07 AM
I just don't see the video games being able to carry the Star Wars line for long. Name one video game series that has just blown the doors off the action figure market. There aren't any, unless you count Pokemon, but that's probably due more to the animated TV series than the video games themselves.

The novels and comic books will be an even tougher sell.

2007 seems to be shaping up to be Hasbro's big EU experiment, but I feel that if we see too many more waves like this, it's going to tank the line for sure.

Tycho
05-22-2007, 09:21 AM
BigBarada: remember that huge amount of every movie-character seen but not made before thread we all voted on? There's only about 34 of them left to be made from the Top 50 there, and anything that didn't make that list is even more obscure down the line.

The line has to carry Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi, etc. - as like Spider-Man or Superman, the major characters have to always be available so the line is accessable to newbies at retail (for impulse buys - as face it, Lushros or Jerjerrod isn't going to inspire those purchases).

So, as long as figures like our last 34 (and you can stretch that to finding almost 100 if you inlclude many Padmes, Ewoks never made before, other Podracers, etc.) you'll have Star Wars still with life left in the line as long as Darth Vader sells to people who don't already have him.

The EU is the last hope to save the line. The TV series are certainly one aspect of the EU which may or may not move. But the comics and novels have older versions of Han, Luke, and Leia as well as new characters that could be done like Kaarde and the Noghri.

Star Wars will have to at least fall back to smaller production runs to serve this niche audience. But we'll see what they can do.

Lord Malakite
05-22-2007, 09:26 AM
The ones that interest me are Darth Malak (the neck joint looks a little off, like its too skinny where it connects to the torso - other than that its good), Darth Revan (about as perfect as you can get with an ambigous multi-background/gender figure like this without going insane in the multi-head/variation department), Pre-cyborg Grievous (though I hope he has the helmet on in the package, thats a face only a mother could love), and maybe Concept Darth Vader (I'm burnt out on the near identical looking Vader figures, though this one does offer some unique look/variation to warrant purchase).

K M Toydarian
05-22-2007, 12:00 PM
At least this wave of EU offers some OT stuff, with more probably on the shelves at the same time from previous and future waves, unlike Shadows of the Empire, when the whole line was different looking and segregted.
The EU figures with the pop up cardnacks did fairly well back in the day, as well as the Ep I EU, since they were mixed in with a regual line.

plasticfetish
05-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Name one video game series that has just blown the doors off the action figure market.All things considered, there are a fairly small number of concepts (period) that have "blown the doors off" the action figure market. There have been a number of video game lines that have done well enough though. Halo comes to mind.

The real point is... this is where Star Wars is going, and this is where the toy lines are going if there's going to be any toy lines at all. Star Wars will drop back to being something less than a major part of what Hasbro does, now that they have things like Marvel and Transformers (the film) to focus on.

If Hasbro is going to bother with Star Wars at all in the future, then they'll be looking at what Star Wars things sell and make money (where the attention is), and for the most part it'll be the games going forward. Until they get the whole TV thing rolling, but even then, they'll defer to video games as far as making any real money goes.

Darkness Shroud
05-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Wow! They look real nice! Thanks for the pic.

bigbarada
05-22-2007, 02:28 PM
All things considered, there are a fairly small number of concepts (period) that have "blown the doors off" the action figure market. There have been a number of video game lines that have done well enough though. Halo comes to mind.

The real point is... this is where Star Wars is going, and this is where the toy lines are going if there's going to be any toy lines at all. Star Wars will drop back to being something less than a major part of what Hasbro does, now that they have things like Marvel and Transformers (the film) to focus on.

If Hasbro is going to bother with Star Wars at all in the future, then they'll be looking at what Star Wars things sell and make money (where the attention is), and for the most part it'll be the games going forward. Until they get the whole TV thing rolling, but even then, they'll defer to video games as far as making any real money goes.

If Hasbro has to rely solely on ill-conceived and poorly designed video game characters for new action figures, then the line is going to tank for sure.

In the long run, Hasbro (or whichever company gets the license next) will realize that focusing on the original trilogy characters is still the best way to keep the line alive.

It worked in 1995-96 when POTF2 emerged with no new movies to back it up. In a situation like that, based on your theory, you would think that the "multimedia event" of Shadows of the Empire, would be the biggest seller in the toy aisles for 1996; but it was just the opposite. Even though the video game, comic and novel did good, it was a terrible failure in terms of moving action figures.

There is no reason to think that will change.

El Chuxter
05-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Baldy looks pretty cool.

See? I'm not a KOTOR hater per se. I just think Darth Cobra Commander looks like shart.

Pre-Cyborg Grievous... I don't recall him ever being seen without a mask, but the figure looks surprisingly good in this pic.

Yoda, Hermi, and Roron look spectacular.

Anakin looks great, but he also looks like he may suffer from a badly done ball joint in his shoulder.

Looks like only Revan and the Stormtrooper are definite passes here. I may get Grievous and Malak if the figures are as good as the pics.

Tycho
05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
In a situation like that, based on your theory, you would think that the "multimedia event" of Shadows of the Empire, would be the biggest seller in the toy aisles for 1996; but it was just the opposite. Even though the video game, comic and novel did good, it was a terrible failure in terms of moving action figures.

There is no reason to think that will change.

SOTE was not that well supported by the toys:

1) Dash was OK.
2) Luke was harder to find and should have shipped more.
3) Lando could have been a variant, or done with Stormtrooper armor parts.
4) Leia Boussh was a convenient way to sell her and the concept.
5) Chewie was undersized. After ROTS, we've seen Wookiees in armor, now.
6) Xizor was painted very artificial, like Jim Carrey's Mask.
7) Guri was cancelled.
8) Jix was never considered.
9) Leebo was cancelled.
10) Spiker and Big Gizz should have been made with Swoops.
11) Bothan Spy Master Koth Melan?
12) Lando Smuggler?
13) Luke in a real tan vest?
14) The Outrider was undersized. They should have done it Falcon sized.
15) The Virago should have been made.
16) Guri's Stinger could have been made.

I think if people saw a collection like this, they would have been much more enticed.

TheDarthVader
05-22-2007, 04:37 PM
A little OT. I know that this may have been said before but...

First of all, I like the coming Hermi and Elis Helrot figures. They look great! New Jabba and cantina aliens are always welcome. But I do not understand why Hasbro put these in front of Yarna? I mean, she was number two on the poll. (Number three if you count that tie for first). This does not make sense to me. Yeah, I understand that these two figures will probably sell better, but not according to the fans' choice poll! So, did Hasbro already have these two guys sculpted before that poll or ?????? The only way it makes sense to me is that Hasbro DID have these sculpted even before that poll. Anyway, we had better get Yarna this or next year.

There...I said it.

jedi master sal
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
A little OT. I know that this may have been said before but...

First of all, I like the coming Hermi and Elis Helrot figures. They look great! New Jabba and cantina aliens are always welcome. But I do not understand why Hasbro put these in front of Yarna? I mean, she was number two on the poll. (Number three if you count that tie for first). This does not make sense to me. Yeah, I understand that these two figures will probably sell better, but not according to the fans' choice poll! So, did Hasbro already have these two guys sculpted before that poll or ?????? The only way it makes sense to me is that Hasbro DID have these sculpted even before that poll. Anyway, we had better get Yarna this or next year.

There...I said it.

We are not getting Yarna...

There...I said it.

Heh heh.

You just know Hasbro wants to dangle that carrot out in front of us for as long as they can. I'm sure they peed in their pants with glee over the "joke" they pulled on us. I just hope they shart themselves when they see sales figures in the next two years if they don't continue to make what the dedicated fans want.

bigbarada
05-22-2007, 06:47 PM
SOTE was not that well supported by the toys:

1) Dash was OK.
2) Luke was harder to find and should have shipped more.
3) Lando could have been a variant, or done with Stormtrooper armor parts.
4) Leia Boussh was a convenient way to sell her and the concept.
5) Chewie was undersized. After ROTS, we've seen Wookiees in armor, now.
6) Xizor was painted very artificial, like Jim Carrey's Mask.
7) Guri was cancelled.
8) Jix was never considered.
9) Leebo was cancelled.
10) Spiker and Big Gizz should have been made with Swoops.
11) Bothan Spy Master Koth Melan?
12) Lando Smuggler?
13) Luke in a real tan vest?
14) The Outrider was undersized. They should have done it Falcon sized.
15) The Virago should have been made.
16) Guri's Stinger could have been made.

I think if people saw a collection like this, they would have been much more enticed.

Wave one of SOTE performed poorly, which is why figures were cancelled and new figures were never considered.

Wave one of POTF2 had it's own fair share of problems to include an undersized Chewie, steroid-pumped bodies on all the figures and a monkey-faced Leia. However, the demand for new ORIGINAL TRILOGY figures was so high that fans still gobbled them up and the toy line, based on movies that were 13-19 years old, was going strong for two years before the Special Editions gave it that extra boost.

Tycho
05-22-2007, 07:40 PM
The Special Editions were something else to consider with the failures of SOTE. The latter didn't have the time to run its course with retailer support when the SE stuff was coming in and stores were readying for a movie promotion, even though they were old movies. They were real Star Wars movies after all.

Droid
05-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I still can't believe they are putting out the Luke/Leia and making the droids convention exclusives. I think the droids are a much more recognizable McQuarrie concept and would have sold better at wide retail than the boy-girl figure.

plasticfetish
05-23-2007, 02:33 AM
It worked in 1995-96 when POTF2 emerged with no new movies to back it up. In a situation like that, based on your theory, you would think that the "multimedia event" of Shadows of the Empire, would be the biggest seller in the toy aisles for 1996; but it was just the opposite. Even though the video game, comic and novel did good, it was a terrible failure in terms of moving action figures. There is no reason to think that will change.POTF2 worked because Hasbro marketed it correctly, and there was a huge audience of both old and potential fans just waiting for something new. SOTE was what it was (or wasn't), largely because it only appealed to a limited number of people. I wasn't one of them at the time, and have no problem understanding how the whole SOTE thing may have seemed like a big mystery to the average person.

Things are a bit different these days, with games being released that come with a nearly guaranteed audience of a million+ fans. It's just not the same thing as SOTE at all.

Phantom-like Menace
05-23-2007, 02:52 AM
Do we have to turn every EU figure into a lament about how Star Wars is dying and only a select few of us are staying true to collecting? If this direction is death, then stop the necrophilia and leave the rest of us alone! I swear to **** and back I'm about ready to send some of you character guides, Xboxes and copies of KotOR and the sequel just so you can at least fill these threads up with remotely informed rhetoric.

I've gone from thinking Yarna is the worst idea for a figure to thinking maybe if they give her to you you'll shut up right back to thinking **** it because no one whining about anything that much deserves the satisfaction.

jedi master sal
05-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Do we have to turn every EU figure into a lament about how Star Wars is dying and only a select few of us are staying true to collecting? If this direction is death, then stop the necrophilia and leave the rest of us alone! I swear to **** and back I'm about ready to send some of you character guides, Xboxes and copies of KotOR and the sequel just so you can at least fill these threads up with remotely informed rhetoric.

I've gone from thinking Yarna is the worst idea for a figure to thinking maybe if they give her to you you'll shut up right back to thinking **** it because no one whining about anything that much deserves the satisfaction.

Simma dow nah.....

Take it easy man. No need to give yourself a coronary over this.

We all have the right to gripe and complain as well as praise Hasbro.

I think that over all Hasbro is doing fine, but can tweak some areas.

What I think is happening to the collecting world is that many of us believe that SW toys are going to die off in a couple of years. Also that, if we don't get the figures/ships/playsets/etc., we have been asking/begging for, for years in those next couple of years, that we'll never get them at all.

So there is quite a bit of anxiety and anticipation coming from we collectors. And it's not all unfounded either.

Thankfully LFL has a plan to keep SW if not in the forefront then at least strongly in the periphery with the two shows.

That will help the toys, but I really think in 5 years that SW collecting will plummet. Sites like ours here will dry up. Hopefully not SSG, but posting seems to have dramatically dropped off. Not just here, but all of the major sites. I've kind of been doing my own "research" if you will with other forums. I started looking at other forums to gauge their activity and it's down. Way down. Like here, there just aren't the many new posts. If you're dedicated to just one site's forums, you can actually keep up with all the new posts within say a half hour to hour. It used to be impossible to do that. (Unless your Kidhuman-who I think is inhuman for his ability to post a lot...heh heh)

SW will always be a part of our culture, but collecting won't. Not like it is now or was during the prequels.

What I foresee happening is there will end up being just a few big collecting sites for SW. The smaller ones will dry up. Those big sites left will become more trading type sites because of either no product or very limited product. We'll be a community still, but as it gets hard to find new stuff, people will give up. Also as people "finish" their collections, they'll leave.

It's inevitable. Really the only way to stop the decline is for more MOVIES. That's something Lucas is against. He's in his 60s now and SW did/does take up a lot of his time. He deserves a break (yet he's still going on with the two shows).

Whew did I go off topic or what...ha.

Well anyway, just what I was thinking this morning.

Droid
05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
I just want seven figures before they stop the line, one of which we now have pictures of:

1. Yarna
2. Hermi Odle
3. Cliegg Lars
4. Young Owen Lars
5. Young Beru
6. Tonnika One
7. Tonnika Two (I'd really settle for one Tonnika)

If they would make those seven figures I would just be happy with anything else that got made and could care less how many Luke resculpts or EU/video game figures they make.

Maybe if the most requested figures were made we would all just pick a new batch of figures as top priorities, but it seems like since about 2002, when the Lars family was shown in Attack of the Clones, that you started hearing the same batch of figures requested over and over again, some of which we now have, but some of which are glaring oversights.

If I don't have those seven figures by the end of the line I will personally really feel let down.

I also would really like the Queen of Alderaan, Bail's wife, but I think that if we were ever going to get her it would have been in 2005 as part of a cinema scene or the Separation of the Twins sets. And since I never hear other people saying they want her I have pretty much accepted she probably won't get made.

It also seems like Red Leader deserves a proper sculpt, but that would be gravy.

Phantom-like Menace
05-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Has it come to anyone's realization that Hasbro in no way, shape, form, fashion, style, method or mode implied the Top Twenty figures would get any priorty in terms of when they'll be made beyond numero uno? And no one ever answers why Hasbro would have any desire to make the most wanted figures all at once, when any logical sales plan would spread them across all the years they'll have the license. That's Sales 101! That's a gimme'!

Also, why is it when I point out that Darth Revan won the poll, I'm told that it was a poll aimed at Hasbro's Star Wars demographic ten year olds, and that he barely won, but then the same people who told me that herald Yarna as Super Dooper Mega Important because she almost won the poll that was aimed at ten year olds Hasbro's Star Wars Demographic.

Sal, I don't want to call you out line by line because I respect that you're attempting to calm me down, but there were two major points I wanted to answer.

What I think is happening to the collecting world is that many of us believe that SW toys are going to die off in a couple of years. Also that, if we don't get the figures/ships/playsets/etc., we have been asking/begging for, for years in those next couple of years, that we'll never get them at all.

And the logical extension of that seems to be that the figures/ships/playsets I and my ilk have been asking/begging for for years just aren't important and we can just sit on it. Whether Hasbro stops making Star Wars toys tomorrow or a hundred years from now, some of you (I'm not aiming this directly at anyone in particular) are going to have to get it past your thick egoes that we're all playing in this sandbox and we will have to share whatever scraps are handed out. What's wrong with the current set up? You (in general) might not get all of your toys, and we might not be getting all our toys but I'll be thrice damned before I'm going to agree you all need all your toys and I need none.

I've kind of been doing my own "research" if you will with other forums. I started looking at other forums to gauge their activity and it's down. Way down. Like here, there just aren't the many new posts. If you're dedicated to just one site's forums, you can actually keep up with all the new posts within say a half hour to hour. It used to be impossible to do that. (Unless your Kidhuman-who I think is inhuman for his ability to post a lot...heh heh)

Other forums are going to maybe tell you something about collectors, but we're nothing but a minority to Hasbro. We don't argue against the idea that kids are the primary people purchasing Star Wars, but then every other statement we make implies we are the majority and need to be heard.

So if kids are the goal right now, why shouldn't Hasbro ignore us for a year or two until kids really do become the minority? We're Hasbro's Booty Call, and we play the part well. Don't call Hasbro, they'll call you.

Tycho
05-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Hehehehe. This is a fun thread.

I agree with everyone a little bit here and there.

I don't need Yarna dal Gargon. I could care less. While I want all the 80's vintage that made actual mass production updated for the modern line (Hoth Rebel, Human B-wing Pilot, Romba, Warok, Slim Aloo, etc.) I don't count Yarna if that's her fans' reason. Others must just have a thing for fat, ugly, 6-breasted women. I certainly don't get that. I'd rather have the EU Star Wars Detention Cell Paris Hilton action figure. (we're talking minimal priority here - somewhere after Dead Owen, Dead Beru, and Burned Jawa action figures). But actually, I'd buy 1 Yarna and stick her in my scene were she offered.

Droid prioritized the figures I pretty much want the most now (excepting Yarna). He and I are pretty much on the same page. I'd add Bail's wife and new figures of Bail himself, along with a few others. I do recognize that Yarna makes the 3rd most wanted on my own figure demand poll though. So I'm happy if she gets produced to appease those that want her.

I love the EU and it keeps me into Star Wars. I even landed on this website 12 years ago because I communicated well with other fans of the EU. 1991's HTTE predated all the modern action figures, you know. If that book had tanked, there might not have been the renaissance we experienced with the toys in as great of capacity as there has been.

That being said, I prefer reading and reflecting on something, to most video games. With video games, and there I prefer starship piloting / dogfighting, I think the action is more onscreen than with replica figures. Thus I like the figures to be from popular comics and books. While I think the comic 2-pack format works very well to achieve this - since you can include a story that tells you who Quinlan Vos or A'Sharad Hett is, novel series like NJO are just begging for figures. However, I do think the Legacy Comics can lead to 2-packs with Yuuzhan Vong in them. As to the Solo kids? I'm not as sure how to get them out there. HTTE was adapted to comics, so Karrde and a Noghri as well as C'Boath and Palleon all have chances, and so does Kyp Durron.

We're all slightly different here in terms of tastes and preferences. A person totally outside our hobby would never guess. I think there's room to cater to all our tastes, but I've come to realize that Han Solo in a white shirt with a black vest is always going to be on the pegs or resculpted for it because kids will hopefully forever find Star Wars accessable. And they'll see the movies not delve into a 16 year old novel. - Though they should and reading stimulates the brain, assuming that kids today are born with them.

Droid
05-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I believe Hasbro is dead wrong that most of their sales are children. I really believe that. If children were their primary demographic then I think we wouldn't be seeing so many R2D2s and Obi-wans lying around whenever we do see the 30th Anniversary figures. I think they should keep the kids happy, but focus on the collectors.

I don't have a problem with EU figures being made, though they really aren't my bag. I just pass on them, saving money for the things I do want.

I also don't have a problem with Hasbro spacing things out, though I do worry that if the line tanks they'll have left some things on the to do list that if they made now would maybe keep the line going. Bit of a paradox.

But I do have a problem with:

a) the secrecy. Just tell us what is coming. We won't buy more or less of the product because we know.

b) the disrespect. By denying distribution problems, by brushing off flaws in the product, and by acting like fans are crazy for wanting some of what we want they drive us away. The whole "April Fool's Joke" was really disrespectful.

c) the failure to commit. Just tell us Yarna is coming. Just tell us the Lars family is coming. Don't do this coy "maybe some day" nonsense. The only reason not to commit to making a figure is that they actually don't think it is a good idea. If that is the case, tell us and let us decide if this is a hobby worth staying in.

d) Things HAVE been spaced out. Some figures from a New Hope haven't seen plastic in THIRTY years. The modern line has been going for 12 years. People have been pretty patient for some of this stuff. I think Yarna has been one of the top picks since it became clear they were going to make figures that had not been made before and that they would make obscure characters. There is no reason they would make the Twilek in Watto's box, the Twilek in the Outlander club, the yellow jumpsuit Naboo soldier, or any other number of figures and not Yarna.

e) Arguments that don't make sense. They claim they want to make main characters, but yet Luke and Leia from the end of Empire and a proper Luke from the Death Star II keep not being made in favor of all new sculpts of the same characters in the same outfits over and over again.

I know everyone has their own list of figures they want that would be a let down if never got made, but it seems like the fans for the most part speak with one voice on a lot of these figures.

But I am in a different camp than some because I don't care if they make EU figures. But in a year with over 200 NEW figures by some counts being released this year (tell me that children are keeping up with that), it seems like we could get more than 2 cantina aliens, more than 2 Jabba's palace characters, etc... In short, I think they could be making a little quicker progress than they are on some of the figures people keep asking for.

Tycho
05-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Droid, I wish for what you wish for. We've known that for years. Respectfully, I'll disagree with you here, point for point. But it's not because I'd like to. Again, ideally, I want the same thing for the hobby that you want. But here's some thoughts to ponder:

I believe Hasbro is dead wrong that most of their sales are children. I really believe that. If children were their primary demographic then I think we wouldn't be seeing so many R2D2s and Obi-wans lying around whenever we do see the 30th Anniversary figures. I think they should keep the kids happy, but focus on the collectors.

Then how do you explain the R2s and Obi-Wans eventually selling? They're impulse buys by newbies, many of which who might be kids or parents buying gifts, and they leave something on the pegs in the Star Wars section. If Hasbro only shipped troop builders like in my own or JediMasterSal's best dreams, the pegs would always be empty and they'd be wiped out as soon as they were stocked. That being said, no one new could enter the hobby, as there'd be no figures in stock to have cardbacks displaying the pictures of other figures in the line to entice someone to want to get them. All you'd see is an empty peg with a DCPI sticker on the end of it that says, "Star Wars WAS here at 8:05 am." The other thing is that while Lushros, C-3PO, and Jerjerrod are readily available in many stores, some main characters sold to newbies sells these guys:

Obi-Wan on the Invisible Hand encountered Lushros. It's easier to find these two than Grievous or a Battle Droid.

R2 goes with C-3PO. Want them both? That's easily done these days.

Vader and Luke interact with Jerjerrod - grab them all up.

I also don't have a problem with Hasbro spacing things out, though I do worry that if the line tanks they'll have left some things on the to do list that if they made now would maybe keep the line going. Bit of a paradox.

I know what you mean.

But I do have a problem with:

a) the secrecy. Just tell us what is coming. We won't buy more or less of the product because we know.

They like to have something to keep continual interest going in the line and attendance at their convention events. I understand and don't mind. It's fun. I remember when at Comic Con they unveiled the POTC figures (Yarua, Amidala Theed Celebration, Sly Moore, etc.) We never saw that coming. Good times! Remember, we were doing our Scene-By-Scene Poll during that time in 2004 and some of those figures would have taken up space on our Top 50 list, but they managed to get previewed and produced before we finished our project. None of us was sorry about that. The Handmaiden (it was supposed to be Padme instead of Rabe by our lists) was topping the demand and competing with Hem Dazon at the time. I was so thrilled about the POTC news that even while at the Con I couldn't wait to leave and get online to hype the news!

b) the disrespect. By denying distribution problems, by brushing off flaws in the product, and by acting like fans are crazy for wanting some of what we want they drive us away.

Their public image is what lures stock investors. I'm a shareholder myself and know the rosy outlook they broadcast is in fact part of their effort to gain more capital.

The whole "April Fool's Joke" was really disrespectful.

I agree.

c) the failure to commit. Just tell us Yarna is coming. Just tell us the Lars family is coming. Don't do this coy "maybe some day" nonsense. The only reason not to commit to making a figure is that they actually don't think it is a good idea. If that is the case, tell us and let us decide if this is a hobby worth staying in.

No. If in 2008, no Ewan McGreggor Obi-Wan is slated for whatever reason, putting him in a battlepack with an Eopie and Beru and Owen etc. could be a good move. If Hasbro's 2008 plans are not finalized yet, and they don't know if they can sell another Obi-Wan after the TAC Love Doll, then it's too soon to comment. I'm not sure single-carded Owen and Beru are good ideas - though Shmi sold (and like you, the Lars are some of my most highly demanded figures lacking in my present collection - we so much want the same things!) So, Hasbro can say they'd like to do Owen and Beru (and Cliegg) but just don't know when.

d) Things HAVE been spaced out. Some figures from a New Hope haven't seen plastic in THIRTY years.

Are you counting gray-uniform Death Star Troopers or something? I think the Vintage ANH has been very well covered if you ignore technicalities. ESB and ROTJ have more obvious omissions.

There is no reason they would make the Twilek in Watto's box, the Twilek in the Outlander club, the yellow jumpsuit Naboo soldier, or any other number of figures and not Yarna.

The Yellow Jumpsuit Naboo can be repainted to a Red Jumpsuit, and (I think) the body even recycled for Willrow Hood. All the Twi'leks might be recycled from Oola, though I've never carefully looked.

e) Arguments that don't make sense. They claim they want to make main characters, but yet Luke and Leia from the end of Empire and a proper Luke from the Death Star II keep not being made in favor of all new sculpts of the same characters in the same outfits over and over again.

I agree. But as far as Death Star II Luke, I think they'll see how many they can sell us. If they could package him without his head and then offer us the new and improved version the next year, I think they would. :rolleyes:

I know everyone has their own list of figures they want that would be a let down if never got made, but it seems like the fans for the most part speak with one voice on a lot of these figures.

Our polling proved this. Darrel was impressed that while Kidhuman and I used very different methods to generate a Top 50 list, 36 of the characters came out the same on both polls. I think that was a treat and vindication for both KH and I. Also it served as a big "we told you so" to Hasbro.

There was only 2 ways to poll for that and we did it: list the 50 you want the most, or vote for the best from each scene as we cover the entire saga. And then we came up with a clear majority of all the same figures!

But I am in a different camp than some because I don't care if they make EU figures.

Well, here is where they can keep the line moving. Luke, Han, and Leia are still characters into the sequel EU, and A'Sharad Hett and Quinlan Vos accessorize Anakin and Obi-Wan in prequel EU, so these EU characters will still move product off the pegs. You know who Luke Skywalker is. A version of him at age 45 instead of 23 is going to look "how different" in a 3 3/4" figure? When the New Republic has to evacuate Duro in the NJO, why can't Hasbro sell a new Han Solo figure (55 years old) in black and recycle the Ellors Madak figure? If there are Stormtroopers and even Yarna on the rack then, isn't a kid who just wants Han Solo for ROTJ scenes going to be happy just to get him versus really cry over a white shirt or a black shirt on him? Certainly the white shirt will get recycled again, and they can use either head variant (33 or 55) to make "new" Han figures in either outfit.

But in a year with over 200 NEW figures by some counts being released this year (tell me that children are keeping up with that),

You're assuming kids are COLLECTING. They might just like having a choice and being able to buy what they want to play with from EU Clones to whatever.

it seems like we could get more than 2 cantina aliens, more than 2 Jabba's palace characters, etc... In short, I think they could be making a little quicker progress than they are on some of the figures people keep asking for.

It's a pretty good pace. A few years ago, I recommended this to Hasbro for 50 figure years:

25 core or 2nd string characters
2 Cantinas
2 Jabbas
2 Padmes
2 Astromechs (we were hugely covered by EE's sets)
1 Podracer
1 Senator
1 Rebel Officer
1 Rebel Soldier
1 Imperial Officer
1 Imperial Soldier
2 Armor
2 Battle Droid
1 Droid (non battle)
2 Natives (Jawas, Tuskens, Kaminoans, Geonosians, Mustafari, etc.)
2 Jedi
2 Cosmopolitans (Coruscant, Bespin, Naboo, etc.)

They could deviate from this a bit, but you get the general idea.

bigbarada
05-23-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm about ready to send some of you character guides, Xboxes and copies of KotOR and the sequel just so you can at least fill these threads up with remotely informed rhetoric.

I'll PM you my address, try to have it to me by the end of next week as I'll be going out of town on the 9th.:yes:

:p

El Chuxter
05-23-2007, 09:21 PM
There are more kids buying Star Wars toys than there are adult collectors.

It's true.

However, the adult collectors have more money to spend and are more likely to spend it.

JediTricks
05-24-2007, 04:04 AM
Ohhh, I'm staying out of this new argument. :D

too bad you have to see Roron every time i post! :pActually, yours looks like some sort of French cave art, it's more interesting out of context.

It worked in 1995-96 when POTF2 emerged with no new movies to back it up. In a situation like that, based on your theory, you would think that the "multimedia event" of Shadows of the Empire, would be the biggest seller in the toy aisles for 1996; but it was just the opposite. Even though the video game, comic and novel did good, it was a terrible failure in terms of moving action figures.

There is no reason to think that will change.Hasbro says part of the reason SOTE tanked is because they pushed it as a separate SKU which meant retailers had to order more to ensure they filled the shelves adequately rather than just moving it as a POTF2 collection wave. Hasbro's avoiding that now, keeping the SKUs solitary as much as possible - except stupid Saga Legends. "But the greatest hits lines sell better than anything else!" :rolleyes: BULLSH**

Droid
05-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Then how do you explain the R2s and Obi-Wans eventually selling? They're impulse buys by newbies, many of which who might be kids or parents buying gifts, and they leave something on the pegs in the Star Wars section. If Hasbro only shipped troop builders like in my own or JediMasterSal's best dreams, the pegs would always be empty and they'd be wiped out as soon as they were stocked. That being said, no one new could enter the hobby, as there'd be no figures in stock to have cardbacks displaying the pictures of other figures in the line to entice someone to want to get them. All you'd see is an empty peg with a DCPI sticker on the end of it that says, "Star Wars WAS here at 8:05 am." The other thing is that while Lushros, C-3PO, and Jerjerrod are readily available in many stores, some main characters sold to newbies sells these guys:

Obi-Wan on the Invisible Hand encountered Lushros. It's easier to find these two than Grievous or a Battle Droid.

Tycho, before I get into the main thing I want to respond to, I am not saying Hasbro needs to give me a list of every product they will ever make in the next three years. I'm saying when we ask about a Yarna, for example, just say, "Yes, we are making her, probably next year, if not next year,then definitely the year after that."

Also, I think Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith are the two movies that have most be covered in figures. I think A New Hope and Jedi still have quite a few figures that need to be made, if only because the cantina and Jabba's Palace drive up the choices. Empire didn't have a gathering of characters that showed the diversity of the Star Wars universe the way A New Hope and Jedi did.

But as to who the main customer is, I am convinced it is adults and not children. Adults buy more figures and often buy more than one of those figures.

I think it goes like this:

Collectors are suckers (me included) so Hasbro is better off making figures that appeal to children because they know that we will buy the figures appealling to children, but the children won't necessarily buy the figures appealling to us.

So, they put out the 100th Darth Vader, but this one stands on Obi-wan's cloak. The collectors ALL buy it. The children buy it because they love Darth Vader. So Hasbro sells almost all of the figures and it looks to them like people love buying another Vader.

They put out an Obi-wan that has a crazy mouth. We hate it. But the completists buy it. Many collectors may pass on it, but after months of not being able to find figures we do want, we need a buying fix and often pick it up. The children buy it. Hasbro sells the figure slowly.

Of course, if Hasbro floods the market with one figure and shorts the market on another that changes the analysis. It could just be that a figure that is still on the pegs is over shipped so everyone who wants to buys it and the rest rot on the pegs.

But then they have to put out figures for the collectors, even though they know kids may pass because if we don't get our Imperial officers and cantina aliens many of us will stop collecting. If I knew it was nothing but Vaders from here on out I would be done. So they have to make those figures to keep us on the hook BECAUSE WE ARE THEIR MAIN CUSTOMERS. We are the ones that will buy everything and the kids add EXTRA sales. So they can live with the occasional collector figure like Dofine who sits on the shelves once the collectors buy the ones they want. It is worth it to them to have the collector figure that doesn't do as well to make sure we keep buying the clones, the collector figures we really want, and the main characters.

They do things like the McQuarrie figures to keep the illusion that these things are rare and if you don't buy the figure now you may never get it and even to make us think this could be an investment because the figures will grow in value.

Then you have Jerjerrod. I don't remember Piatt, Ozzel, Motti, or Veers peg warming the way he is. I think the reason is clear. It was a figure that did not appeal to kids, that wildly appealed to collectors, but was so horribly poor in its execution that many collectors likely passed in absolute disgust.

So there you have it - why I am CONVINCED adults are the primary purchaser of these toys.

Phantom-like Menace
05-24-2007, 03:06 PM
You know what's really ****ing me off? It's the outright venom and in some cases campaigning to prevent my figures from being made in favor of yours.

I've wanted EU figure since I first read Heir to the Empire, before the modern line even started. SotE got my hopes up, but its failure (which had nothing to do with the mere fact that it wasn't in a movie) made me think my hopes were completely dashed. But when I got my Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn, I was in a tizzy unrivaled by getting any of the movie figures I knew I was absolutely getting eventually. I had two of my heroes! (Though one more accurately is a villain.)

I then had to wait almost ten years. Since I joined this site, I've told anyone who'll listen how much I want EU, how important these characters were to me. Not once did I actively ask Hasbro not to make your figures in favor of mine. Not once did I ***** and complain that they made your figure and not mine. Finally, someone listened to me and others like me. Scorch came and Foul Moudama was announced. Whole EU battlepacks followed. You all have been getting movie figures for twelve years. I've been getting a comparatively modest stream of EU figures for less than two years now. You don't want to buy my figures? Fine. You want to promote your figures? Fine. But you need to get over your desire to actively campaign to keep me from getting mine, and the narrow viewpoint that nothing EU needs to get by without making derisive comments about how stupid it is just because it wasn't in the movies . . . it's getting old.

Very few companies are forthcoming about what they're releasing save what they're releasing in the forseeable future. It's not a problem; it's standard operating procedure.

I sometimes think some of you were the types of kids who had to open Christmas presents the day before Christmas.

I'll PM you my address, try to have it to me by the end of next week as I'll be going out of town on the 9th.:yes:

:p

I said "about ready.";)

jedi master sal
05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Droid, I have to agree with you on just about everythign you said there.

I can only speak for myself, but now that the movies are done, I've seen kid interest wane.

Also, monetarily one collector can account for several kids with regards to how much we spend. Not including Christmas, lets say a kid can get $20 per month of SW. That's three figs or a batle pack or small ship, etc. That's reasonable. Times that by 11 (again not including Dec for Christmas) and you've got $220. Now that estimate may be on the low side, so lets say there are some kids who are more priviledged and doubel that amount. $440.

Compare that to what an average collector buys in 11 months. Each wave is on avg. 6 figs. at $7, plus tax that's about $45. Take into account 1to1 (one lookse, one carded) collectors and scene and army builders (I classify an army builder as someone who buys at least a squads worth of figures of the same figure. (A squad being 5) and the number significantly increases. Then there's guys lik Tycho who buy 5 of every figure...(ok not really but he does buy a lot of extras, even of main characters) and that's even more. Then there's the extreme army builder such as myself who gets 40+ of some type of troop (Although I do have armies in the 3-digit range for several troop type figs) and the $ amount increases much more.

I drop $400 a month easy on SW. I'd say at least 80-85% of that is Hasbro stuff, most of the rest being GG. So I'm spending $300+ on Hasbro SW stuff per month if not more. I easily account for 10-15 kids worht of purchases. I'd say an average collector (and I don't mean that as an insult to anyone) probably accounts for 3-4 kids easy.

Seeing as how we collectors are locked into the market, it makes sense to market to us. Kids that like SW will still buy. Kids who have since become collectors will still buy. Casual fans who have lost interest are going to wane away from SW regardless of who's on the pegs.

I donn't think I'll ever really be convinced that SW is a kids line. It's just not what I've experienced. Even during movie years, I'd run into more adult collectors than kids looking for toys.

-Sal

Qui-Long Gone
05-24-2007, 04:13 PM
I can only speak for myself, but now that the movies are done, I've seen kid interest wane.

I donn't think I'll ever really be convinced that SW is a kids line. It's just not what I've experienced. Even during movie years, I'd run into more adult collectors than kids looking for toys.

-Sal

The kids who regularly collect seem to be the children of those adult collectors (i.e. my children). I can never buy my own figures without my daughter wanting her own too...

I think there will always be a SW interest for kids, but I agree that interest wanes....

Tycho
05-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Droid, it's like this: in 2007 (this year), you wind up falling in love, getting married, and making a little Droid ;)

The packaging on Star Wars toys says Ages 4 & Up. In 2011, your little Droid will be old enough to have Star Wars figures just like his Dad.

By that time, you've either created masterpiece dioramas with your loose figures or you've encased your Starcases inside of Starcases for your autographed, carded collection.

Whatever the case would be your preference.

Droid Jr. wants some Star Wars figures. You still love your collection. In it is your 1998 Vader w. Removeable Helmet, and 1995 Vader with Long Saber on a .0000 cardback. Junior is NOT getting those figures.

On eBay, you can find Junior a Darth Vader figure.

It is more fun for Junior if you take him to Target or Toys R Us and he gets to pick out his favorite characters and take them home. There at the retail store, Hasbro has stocked their 14th recard of their 73rd version of Darth Vader resculpted. This time with bending right knee, twisting left ankle, replacement hand to he's giving the middle-finger, and interchangeable shoulder pads so they are shiny ROTJ style, or opaque ANH style, depending on your preference. The figure also comes with a stick of chewing gum and there is a variant with cinammon or watermelon flavor :crazed:

Also on the pegs is Dead Owen and Dead Beru. Droid Junior doesn't care about these figures. They don't do anything, but you buy them when you take Junior to get his Vader. Since there are 12 figures in the case, and say that there's 2 Dead Owens, 2 Dead Berus, 2 Willrow Hoods, 2 Yarnas, and 4 Darth Vaders, the retailer will sell figures to both demographics and will eventually sell 3 cases worth, if their only sale is of Darth Vader. Though now inventory will show 2 cases still in stock fromt the combined amounts of the other figures. Enter 3 "one to open, one to keep carded" collectors, and the cases clear.

PLM - I'm with you on the EU figures! :thumbsup: What they're doing with Republic rocks. I only wish they'd find a way to market NJO and get the Solo kids out there, as well as the middle-age versions of Han, Luke, and Leia.

Droid
05-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Tycho, I agree that they should put out the main characters. I agree that the main characters are necessary to get new people into the hobby. I agree that children want the main characters.

I don't care how many characters EU, main character resclupts, or recards they put out. I don't worry about the figures I don't buy. I do care when they aren't releasing the figures collectors want fast enough, when they treat us with disrespect, when they have exclusives that can't be purchased online, and when the distribution is so poor I can't buy new figures when they have supposedly been released.

I am stating though, and I believe I am right, that adults have been and are the primary customers of the modern line.

Anyone notice that many of these figures in the pretty cases at the convention aren't coming until DECEMBER?! We're going to be looking for the 30th Anniversary Collection figures next spring!

Tycho
05-24-2007, 05:07 PM
We're going to be looking for the 30th Anniversary Collection figures next spring!

Then they can recard them all as the 31st Anniversary Collection figures! :D

But I hear you, Droid.

BoShek
05-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Wow, a wave that I want ALL of the figures in it. Amazing job. Keep it coming.

bigbarada
05-24-2007, 11:10 PM
You know what's really ****ing me off? It's the outright venom and in some cases campaigning to prevent my figures from being made in favor of yours.

I've wanted EU figure since I first read Heir to the Empire, before the modern line even started. SotE got my hopes up, but its failure (which had nothing to do with the mere fact that it wasn't in a movie) made me think my hopes were completely dashed. But when I got my Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn, I was in a tizzy unrivaled by getting any of the movie figures I knew I was absolutely getting eventually. I had two of my heroes! (Though one more accurately is a villain.)

I then had to wait almost ten years. Since I joined this site, I've told anyone who'll listen how much I want EU, how important these characters were to me. Not once did I actively ask Hasbro not to make your figures in favor of mine. Not once did I ***** and complain that they made your figure and not mine. Finally, someone listened to me and others like me. Scorch came and Foul Moudama was announced. Whole EU battlepacks followed. You all have been getting movie figures for twelve years. I've been getting a comparatively modest stream of EU figures for less than two years now. You don't want to buy my figures? Fine. You want to promote your figures? Fine. But you need to get over your desire to actively campaign to keep me from getting mine, and the narrow viewpoint that nothing EU needs to get by without making derisive comments about how stupid it is just because it wasn't in the movies . . . it's getting old.

You know what, you're right. There's really not much from the OT that I want to see made anymore as my "must make" figure list is shrinking into oblivion. Even during a year where only movie figures are made, I only find myself interested in about 5-10% of the entire line.

So, if EU figures can keep the line alive long enough for Hasbro to make an SA Zuckuss, ROTJ Jabba, Kithaba, and the grey-suited ROTJ Y-Wing Pilot among others, then I'm okay with that.:thumbsup:

Also that A-Wing Pilot looks too cool!

InsaneJediGirl
05-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Love Wave 5, Might actually break my dry spell and buy some figures! I'm thrilled at all the EU stuff coming out, I've been wanting it for years. They'll look great next to my comic books ;)

Jargo
05-26-2007, 04:46 PM
hermi looks okay-ish. I'm sure with some tweaking and repainting he'll look good though.

Kybuck may b EU but as a beasty it looks a darn sight better than kaadu's so i'm definately up for a couple of those.

Grievous looks poor.

Roron isn't a charcter i'm interested in but he does look interesting enough to add to custom fodder.

starkiller thing/it/person is a bit disappointing and I'm not buying concept figures at all now so...

clownface revan could i suppose fit in ok with a bunch of separatists he wouldn't look amiss stood next to Wat Tambor. Malak on the other hand just looks like a circus freak

anakin seems pretty pointless to me. is there apoint to having a tattooed half naked anakin figure?

vader. meh

stormie. meh

salacious is oversized but is articulatedand the 3PO seems ok provided it's vac metallised and not just that horrible metallic paint instead.

actual product pictures will help me decide. prototype images are too early to make a definite judgement.

JediTricks
06-03-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm saying when we ask about a Yarna, for example, just say, "Yes, we are making her, probably next year, if not next year,then definitely the year after that."Here's what they said on May 11th to us:

Q: She's been one of the most consistently-requested figures since the modern line began, she has far more screentime than Dengar and Bossk and IG-88, a prototype of her was even made for the original Kenner line. She was second runner-up in the ToyFare Fan Choice poll by only a small margin, she had more votes than any other movie character in the poll, and the 2 above her in the poll have already been confirmed to be made (as have Darth Malak, Hermi Odle, ROTJ Luke, Mara Jade, Kir Kanos, Clone Commander, Padme Ilum, and Commander Neyo who all got significantly less votes than Yarna, half of those 4 poll-losers there have even already been released). You obviously recognize some level of demand, based on your April Fools-style joke at 2006 San Diego Comic Con. So why is it that you will joke about collectors wanting a Yarna d'al Gargan figure, but have been unwilling in the past to produce this figure and will not confirm that you are committed to releasing this figure in the foreseeable future? A: The "April Fool's" spoof was really meant to have fun with the types of more obtuse and macabre characters that some fans have expressed a desire in seeing someday, but a character like Yarna does stand a good chance of becoming a figure at some point. When that is, we can't say for sure, but the odds are very good.
They're not going to promise something if it's not on the plan now as stuff can change, but I think that answer is good enough for me.

Phantom-like Menace
06-03-2007, 11:32 PM
The "April Fool's" spoof was really meant to have fun with the types of more obtuse and macabre characters that some fans have expressed a desire in seeing someday, but a character like Yarna does stand a good chance of becoming a figure at some point. When that is, we can't say for sure, but the odds are very good.

That's impossible. We know for a fact that April Fool's joke was a direct attack on us, and served only to tell us we're unimportant.:rolleyes:

Ephantmon
06-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Have the carded images of these showed up anywhere yet? Also has there been any figure numbers confirmed? I know Hermie is #29 and C-3PO is #30 but what about the rest?

Kidhuman
06-21-2007, 03:46 PM
EE has them numbered in the case assortment on the website.

Ephantmon
06-21-2007, 05:45 PM
yeah I saw those but I guess I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Now what about the carded shots?:D

Kidhuman
06-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Havent seen any, but then again, wave 5 isnt due for awhile