PDA

View Full Version : VTSC2 Leia Endor review

JediTricks
05-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Once again in the vintage-style line, Leia gets the short end of the stick. You know you're in trouble when the best thing you can say about a figure is it has a nice gun.

Packaging: 3/5
Odd to see the same Vintage TSC packaging, only this year's mail-in stuff is gold instead of silver (and the tabs are generic). The heat-sealed collector case really bothers me though, takes this down a LOT.

Sculpt-Design: 3.25/5
She seems really short, she's POTJ Bespin Leia's height but that figure has bent knees while this doesn't, and this has a really long neck to boot so the shoulders are lower. Her hair and facial likenesses look like they're accurate, if a tad simplistic (the facial likeness bumped the score up from a 2.5). The head is another ball-jointed affair so the "front" of the hair around her neck is an ugly hollowed area. That long neck is super lame too, Leia looks like a giraffe. The outfit is decent but hardly outstanding, and the crotch piece is once again this huge square thing, why hearken back to that? Finally, a pointless small notch is cut away exposing the joint at her back.

Articulation: 2.5/5
ball-jointed neck
universal shoulders
universal elbows
standard waist
standard hips
universal knees
universal anklesPretty chintzy for the Vintage line! The ball-jointed neck is done as sloppy as any figure in this line, even if it does work for up and down. The elbows don't want to raise up to 90 degrees, you have to force it to bend the sleeve plastic it plugs into. It really bugs me that the knees bend forward as easily as they do back. And there's no rotating wrists or mid-torso joint which would have been nice for speederbike poses.

Paint-Deco: 2/5
Doll-like pale plastic for the head and forearms, cheapness for the eyes which really hampers accuracy, but the makeup isn't doll-like anywhere else thankfully -- no blush-laden cheeks, just a decent red lipstick. The lame eyes (big thick eyebrows, no eyeliner below) and pale plastic damage the impact of the sculpt. Accurate but sloppy and boring outfit paint. It was really stupid of them to choose the light blue plastic for the ankle hinges since the boots are black.

Accessories: 3.5/5
Blaster, helmet, poncho, belt. The helmet is recycled from the Saga Endor Trooper yet again, so it has that idiotic open chinstrap and is missing the dents, it's a little big but fits ok. It's also missing Leia's specific helmet markings, but is otherwise decently-painted.
The belt is decent, a little intricate sculpting, holsters the blaster nicely, and it also closes around the poncho well once you get it higher than her hips.
The blaster is great, looks accurate, not too big, it's bendy but no surprise really, and she holds it well due to her trigger-posed hand. (They should have included 2 so you could give one to VOTC Leia!)
The poncho is very similar the recent Luke Endor's, but shorter. It's not the right coloring, Leia's poncho was lighter and had more green, and it's a little bulky on her - that's what the figure's giraffe neck is for, and it mostly pays off but the neckline is way too high really. It kinda bothers me that the hood is sewn down but the collar isn't, should be the other way around.

Overall: D+
If this were a basic figure, I might give it a "C+" or a generous "B-" as individually it breaks down better than I expected, but as a Vintage-style figure it's an insult to my ten bucks. Underwhelming articulation, weak paint, a recycled helmet, and an ill-fitting, badly-colored poncho all work hard to tank this figure.

figrin bran
05-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Do you think she would fit on a POTF2 speeder?

JediTricks
05-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Her hips can almost straddle the seat, she pops up but can sit all the way on the top of the rear of the seat where it raises up, and the poncho covers it so it doesn't look too bad. Her feet can't reach the peddles and her hands are WAY too dainty to use the controls though.

pbarnard
05-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Her feet can't reach the peddles and her hands are WAY too dainty to use the controls though.

Well, doesn't that just make her daddy's little princess :oummm, yeah. It's ok, makes it easier to fall off and be accosted by a teddy bear.

Qui-Long Gone
05-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Well, doesn't that just make her daddy's little princess :oummm, yeah. It's ok, makes it easier to fall off and be accosted by a teddy bear.

To paraphrase Palpatine....that's just un natural...

JediTricks
05-21-2007, 04:07 PM
I didn't think to try it with the Saga Ep 2 Speederbike, mine is packed away in the back of my Republic Gunship which is teeming with figures that would just love to make me pick them all up off the floor.

Devo
05-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Always thought it looked wrong and sure enough...what a pity, especially about the poncho - would it have been so hard to make it a film accurate colour. Giraffe neck and crappily executed BJH are no surprise. Guess I'm doing a head transplant with this figure and POTJ Leia General. I want this figure's shortness but an older and better head sculpt. Pretty sad that I have to look to older figures for proper heads.

AmanaMatt
05-21-2007, 04:17 PM
I cannot say I am surprised with this review; of all the Vintage figs coming, this is the one that had me saying, 'meh.' I almost wish they had not bothered with her, and giving us just 5 kick butt figs, as opposed to what they did, five great fig and Leia.

JediTricks
05-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Always thought it looked wrong and sure enough...what a pity, especially about the poncho - would it have been so hard to make it a film accurate colour. Giraffe neck and crappily executed BJH are no surprise. Guess I'm doing a head transplant with this figure and POTJ Leia General. I want this figure's shortness but an older and better head sculpt. Pretty sad that I have to look to older figures for proper heads.
That's going to be a tough headswap, they don't share any parts or similar joints, you'll basically need to graft out the necks too.

They really should have just saved this figure for the basic line where it wouldn't have been as negative an impact - it's still got a crappy neck situation and poncho issues, but at least there it wouldn't have cost $10 and been in specialty packaging. I guess we can chalk this Leia up to this wave's VOTC C-3PO. :p

Tycho
05-22-2007, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the review JT.

I bought her only to round out my Tyderium crew. I have 2 Imp shuttles and my vintage one is for "the Emperor's Arrival," (an abridged version anyway). I wanted to hang a shuttle with its signature wings open, so I thought I'd make the Rebel one.

I have in the cockpit / passenger section:

Dejerik Champion Chewie (flying casually with his hands behind his head)
Han Gunner Station with the headset. (I needed the chair for custom work)
Luke Endor Saga2
Leia VTAC (discussed here)
Flying R2D2 - as a statue, this POC 2003 figure is finally good for something.
MMC C-3PO - he's bright and shiny, so you can see him in the back
Saga1 Endor Rebel - the one-man strike team. There's not really more room.

Anyway, I'm going to hang the ship from the ceiling with the side-pannel off so you can see the droids and soldier in the back.

JediTricks
05-24-2007, 02:40 AM
The Tyderium crew is a good reason to buy her, she shines the best there where she just has to sit there and wear a poncho that covers most of her shortcomings. Too bad they didn't make her a figure that simply looks good instead.

Jaff
06-01-2007, 01:16 PM
I was really dissappointed in this one. I guess I expect more from Vintage quality. The softgoods is too bulky, the neck is off, and in general she's less impressive than any average carded figure.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-02-2007, 02:22 PM
I don't think this figure is that bad. The long neck isn't noticeable with the poncho on. However, after taking the poncho off, I wasn't sure if I put it back on the way it was to begin with. I think the articulation is very good. It's a decent likeness. She has the removeable helmet and a holster for her gun. I think the color of her face may be a bit off. The 2003 Battle of Hoth version of Leia looked almost like a black person. This version of Leia looks a bit Asian.

While this may not be as good as many of the other Vintage style figures, and is the weakest of this year's bunch, it is still an improvement over the previous versions of the figure. It is a good addition to my collection.

Devo
06-11-2007, 08:08 PM
I had planned to buy 3 of these. 1 to use in the Wicket scenes, one to donate its poncho to the old speederbike Leia while serving as "Leia General" itself and one to use with both helmet and poncho. Now I'm not sure I can stomach buying more than one, its such an awfully executed figure. The poncho is too damn dark and the head/neck so woefully poor that a custom would be an absolute imperative. And to read all the other negatives about the figure..dear oh dear.

JediTricks
06-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah, definitely don't bother buying more than 1, at least until you've experienced in person. I wouldn't recommend buying more than 1 at all to anybody, but you never know what some folks will go for.

bigbarada
06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Well, I'll definitely get one carded and one loose.

Who knows, I might end up liking the figure. I saw the photos posted to Rebelscum today and if I didn't have everyone on here telling me that I'm supposed to hate it, I would think that the figure looked pretty good.

JediTricks
06-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Hey, a D+ is a passing grade, and it has a plus! :D

bigbarada
06-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Just for reference, how would you grade the TSC Endor Luke?

AmanaMatt
06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Dude, I opened my figure yesterday and she is the weakest vintage figure since the C-3P0 one; I am mad at myself for opening her.....

My pet peeve (and this is just me) - the vintage version had her helmet bubbled about the figure; it would have been nice if they had copied that look!

Tycho
06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Just for reference, how would you grade the TSC Endor Luke?

The Saga Endor Luke is awesome. Leia is the problem.

I think I'm going to start scouring the swap meet or whatever and find a vintage Kenner Leia Endor to borrow her poncho so I get the right color. Why did Hasbro do this?

JediTricks
06-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Just for reference, how would you grade the TSC Endor Luke?I never really thought about it before. Let's see, I mostly liked the original version of that figure when it came out, and the repainted head looks good, but the helmet's a straight up reuse which kinda sucks and the saber's a lame reuse again and the blaster is an ugly reuse. The most important, the poncho doesn't flow well or have the right coloring... honestly, I think a "C/C+" would be the best grade I could muster.

My pet peeve (and this is just me) - the vintage version had her helmet bubbled about the figure; it would have been nice if they had copied that look!Yeah, that would have been way cooler!