PDA

View Full Version : Episode IV - A NEW HOPE

Pendo
02-06-2002, 03:19 PM
Does it bother anyone that Episode IV is refered to as just "Star Wars", when all the other Episodes are refered to by their episode number or name? I know that ANH was the first to be made but I think it deserves its full title (especially on the IMDB (http://uk.imdb.com)). When someone says something about Star Wars to me, I automatically persume the whole saga, and not Episode IV which they are refering.

Does anybody have an oppinion on this matter?

PENDO!

JEDIpartner
02-06-2002, 03:48 PM
I get so grumpy about that!!! I think maybe it's because I am a fan and pay attention to these things as you do. I hate it when they show it on the tele (like on TNT or TBS) and they still list it as "STAR WARS" even though they are clearly showing the "special edition" version. I think if these networks would bother to refer to it in its full title- they collective consciousness would get it beat into their heads soon and start calling it "A New Hope".

I think the reason that hasn't happened, though... is because it was the "first one" for so long that it didn't matter. Now we have a true "first one" and that kinda blows the idea out of the water in total, doesn't it?

Lord Skywalker
02-06-2002, 05:11 PM
I think the biggest reason behind it was the original logo.

When ANH came out in theaters the SW logo was born. If you notice the original logo was simply Star Wars.

Then came Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, and the logo for that movie was changed to reflect the difference. As was Return of the Jedi.

So I blame it all on the logo.;)

SithDroid
02-06-2002, 08:12 PM
Yeah. I believe that when SW ANH was released in theatres for the very first time it didn't have the "A New Hope" at the top becausse Lucas believed it was only going to be a one shot movie. It was only after making ESB that they went back and added the ANH to the opening scroll. At least that is what I read in an article a long time ago, so people who just say SW are kind of right by just calling it that. I never take offense because once they start explaining a little bit about what they are talking about I know which film it is they are referring to. It's not my fault that the general public can't tell the difference.

bigbarada
02-06-2002, 08:31 PM
I've always referred to ANH as Star Wars. I only use the ANH or Ep4 designations on these boards to prevent confusion; but in my mind ANH will always be Star Wars.

The title A New Hope for the special editions really ticked me off and I remember someone looking at the soundtrack at the PX saying "A New Hope, same old movie." I will never get that little comment out of my mind when I see the ANH title.

Rollo Tomassi
02-06-2002, 09:58 PM
What's also infuriating is saying "the first film" and not being sure if people know you are talking about Episode IV or Phantom Menace. Especially the layman on the street. And then you quickly start to explain what you mean and come across as a "freaky Star Wars dude"

bigbarada
02-07-2002, 10:14 AM
When talking to non-Star Wars types, I always refer to TPM as "the new one" or Ep1. Of course, "the new one" will mean something completely different in a couple of months.

Jargo
02-07-2002, 01:27 PM
I just call the whole thing star wars to most people. And then clarify during conversations by saying "y'know, the bit where the ewoks bash the stormtroopers..." or whatever. most people who aren't fans only see the big star wars logo and nothing else.
my partner has sort of got used to the abbreviations but still gets really confused after being with me and my adiction for six years.
My "You're a star wars geek" brother just refers to it as 'the wars'
"S'boring, but the stormtroopers are cool" Which just about sums up the attitudes of most people who aren't fans really. :)
my mother wouldn't know any of the films if they jumped up and bit her on the behind. She says things like "oh, you're doing your 'star'wars' thing are you?" like it was some kind of devils cult.

it doesn't surprise me that so many people aren't in touch with the movies though after so long without them on TV. TV tends to be the intravenenous feed for society of stuff like movie classics. A whole generation grew up without seeing the first 'star wars' trilogy almost. And with the phantom menace doing so badly in so many peoples eyes, fans and otherwise, I can see how they wouldn't neccesarily pick up on the films individual titles. just another star wars movie....... with that big ol' star wars logo obliterating anything else. The Phantom Menace or that JarJar movie? A new hope or the darth Vader movie? It's different for fans. We have a biased view, a vested interest. Joe public couldn't give a rats patooey about it all. Unless it's cool at the time to be seen to be into it.

evenflow
02-07-2002, 01:29 PM
Unless I am talking to someone who knows, I refer ro A new Hope as STar Wars. If I am speaking to another fan, then I will probably use A New Hope.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-08-2002, 06:34 PM
When talking to:
Star Wars fans - Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
non-SW fan friends - Star Wars
non-SW fans - the 1970s one
Star Trek fans - the best sci-fi film of the '70s
Independence Day fans - the Independence Day of our generation
little kids - the movie you see on TBS
high school kids - dude, the like, you know, I'm all, whatever
Spanish friends - la pelicula "estrella guerra" del tiempo de los setentas
Cussing friends - @&%$*& Wars, you *?%${#!
Japanese friends -

"The movie I mean
Came out nineteen-seventy
I was 4 years old"

Movie critics - the one you felt was worse than "Annie Hall!"
Greedy, money-loving people - the one that made the most in the 1970s
George Lucas - remember this film? Do you really?

General Veers
02-09-2002, 11:43 AM
I guess back a long time ago, when people saw ANH, the name Star Wars stuck in their head, and that's how they called it from then on.

Huckleberry Josh
02-13-2002, 05:14 PM
I hate the title "A New Hope". I rather just call it Star Wars. No offense to anyone , but I just don't like to call it "A New Hope".

Vlad
02-15-2002, 01:51 AM
I always have and always will call it "Star Wars." George Lucas is a revisionist, and that's his right. However, I will always prefer his original releases of the movies (I'm sorry, I just can't stand the SE) and I will always prefer Star Wars to A New Hope.

mark2d2
03-04-2002, 01:42 AM
Star Wars is simply a much better title . . .