PDA

View Full Version : May 25, 1977

TeeEye7
05-25-2007, 06:59 AM
http://www.time.com/time/80days/770525.html

What were you doing on that day?

I was getting ready to graduate from college in about a week and a half. I was also finalizing plans to begin graduate studies at the University of Madrid.

(....keep the old folks comments to a minimum, please.....:hurt: )

mabudonicus
05-25-2007, 08:51 AM
I was probably eating boogers or somethin, maybe it was one of them days where my vitamin got stuck to my spoon and accidentally mixed into my cereal, turning the milk pink and makin it taste like crap (I would have been 4 years old)
:beard: Iso & Baws
Most replies will be similar to mine, and many folks will have nothing to post about since they did not exist :D

CaptainSolo1138
05-25-2007, 08:59 AM
I was in a teste, waiting for my big day.

What mabudon said was true.

DarthQuack
05-25-2007, 09:09 AM
.....What Capy said applies here as well.

UKWildcat
05-25-2007, 09:54 AM
....and here too....

El Chuxter
05-25-2007, 10:47 AM
I imagine I crapped my pants at least once that day, but not because of any movies that came out.

mtriv73
05-25-2007, 11:17 AM
I was 3 and a half years old, so I probably didn't poop myself. I'm sure I watched Sesame Street and Electric company though (probably Mr. Rogers too.) Then I probably played with my Tonka trucks, had a nap, and played some more.

LusiferSam
05-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Nothing. I didn't exist yet.

Ji'dai
05-25-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't recall, but I was probably anxiously awaiting getting out of school (kindergarten) for the summer.

Since Star Wars only opened in 30 or so movie theatres that day, I probably didn't see it until later that year or maybe not until the '78 re-release.

General_Grievous
05-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I was a sperm. :p

mtriv73
05-25-2007, 12:33 PM
I was a sperm. :p

Actually, you were probably just an egg. Sperm divide from progenitor cells in your testes and mature over a 60 day time span and only last for a few days after maturiation.

El Chuxter
05-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Elsewhere, there was a young high school graduate who had been recently hired by a mysterious organization known only as "The Group." He stood outside a hospital until a new mommy came outside. And then he grinned. And he hasn't stopped grinning to this day.

Rogue II
05-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Like Mabs, I was also 4, so I probably was in pre-school or watching Sesame Street, Romper Room, Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, and that Simon kid who could teleport into his drawings.

I imagine I crapped my pants at least once that day, but not because of any movies that came out.

Oh, and I also crapped in El Chuxter's pants.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-25-2007, 08:12 PM
I was just a glint in mom and dad's eyes as well.

pbarnard
05-25-2007, 08:49 PM
I was progressing to holding my head up on my own, maybe turning over to my parents chagrin, and about to develop the most synaptic connections ever in my life being about 2 months old.

JetsAndHeels
05-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I was 47 years old and had seen SW at least 5 times in the theater opening day.

Rocketboy
05-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I was first in line at the theater.
Which theater?
All of them.
And I recited every line just to p*ss people off.

I have a time machine.

TeeEye7
05-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Funny how life works:

Here a lot of you were in Pampers, and I'm getting ready to strap on the Depends! :rolleyes:

bigbarada
05-25-2007, 10:53 PM
I had just turned 4 years old and was probably spending the day playing cowboys and indians with my brother waiting for The Lone Ranger and The Flintstones to come on TV.

I wouldn't hear anything about Star Wars for many months when we caught bits and pieces of the Holiday Special and wouldn't know anything about the film until getting my first Star Wars figure (R2-D2) in mid-1978.

El Chuxter
05-25-2007, 11:08 PM
I bet Joan Jett kicked some poor sap's a** and stole his seat in the theater.

But then she made it worth his while.

sith_killer_99
05-25-2007, 11:11 PM
I was probably just loosing interest in the toys I had gotten for my 3rd birthday, 2 weeks before!:D

I think my "big" present that year was a big wheel!

Dar' Argol
05-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Geez, I remember that day fondly . . . It began with a brisk toddle around the house. I'm sure I found some random toy and tried to beat the crap out of it. I probably had eggs and bacon that morning. Most likely followed by a crap in me pants. The rest of the day was just more of th same of playing, drinking, and crapping . . much like now. And I think there may have been a nap in there somewhere . . . .

I didn't get exposed to SW until my dad took me out to see Jedi for my birthday. I kinda remember seeing the Ewok movies on TV I think . . and then I saw Empire on VHS.

Kidhuman
05-26-2007, 06:52 PM
I was about to turn 4, so I dont know what the heck I was doing. Probably watching reruns of M*A*S*H with my parents.

Old Fossil
05-26-2007, 08:34 PM
I was glad first grade was over. May have watched 'All in the Family' (albeit with a glazed expression) that evening. I probably got beat up by the local bully, Brian Dickens, earlier in the day. I think he was responsible for the eventual disappearance of my Mego Star Trek and Planet of the Apes figures.

I still hate Brian Dickens.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-27-2007, 01:23 AM
I would turn seven three weeks later. I knew nothing of Star Wars. When school was out in early June, we took a trip to California for the second year in a row. By the time we returned, that may have been when I started hearing ads on the radio, but I still didn't know what the heck it was about. One day, my mom was taking my brother, a neighbor and I to go see it, but I insisted on seeing the movie on the other screen, Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo. I wouldn't see Star Wars until either 1978 or 1979 when it came to the drive-in theater.

jedi master sal
05-27-2007, 02:58 AM
I was 7 at the time. In second grade at the Catholic school I was in at the time.

I saw it the first weekend it was available to play in Pittsburgh. I threw up at the first sight of Vader. Not really because I was scared. it was because my mom and I had to wait in line so damned long that i go sick because I was hot, and dehydrated. (of course I didn't know those terms at the time but it was relayed to me later in time). Seeing Vader jsut capped it off for me I guess. However, I wouldn't be deterred from seeing the movie and saw it the very next weekend all the way through this time (and many MANY more times to come).

-Sal

2-1B
05-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I saw the movie and then went home to argue on the internet about Mark Hamill's acting and the continuity flaws in the film. I dissected Darth Vader's illogical motivations and Han Solo's character arc. I immediately started hunting online for spoilers on the upcoming sequel.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-27-2007, 10:02 AM
I think my "big" present that year was a big wheel!I know that was true for me! It was a "Green Machine" Big Wheel (with the neato rear wheel hand break for spinouts). So I'd have been playing with that, or Hot Wheels/Matchbox, in the great state of Ohio, in the unincorporated hamlet (yes, that was its designation) Columbiana. It would be a drive-in in California about 10 months later that I'd first see SW (where I recalled the movie ending when Vader's TIE spins away, no awards ceremony, no "Carrie! " scream, no credits :confused: ).

I immediately started hunting online for spoilers on the upcoming sequel.Uh, the proper phrase is "in line," not "on line." And the only thing that was a spoiler back then was bacteria, and eating snacks before your dinner, young man. :whippersnapper: :pleased:

Mad Slanted Powers
05-27-2007, 10:13 AM
I never had a Big Wheel. :cry: However, I just got the new Tori Amos album and it has a song called "Big Wheel" on it. Back in 1978 or 1979, I also got ELO's Out of the Blue and it had "Big Wheels" on it. So, I don't need no stinkin' Big Wheel.

TeeEye7
05-28-2007, 12:51 AM
I still hate Brian Dickens.

Doesn't he have a mullet haircut.....still?

scruffziller
05-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Probably watching (and trying to help;turning 3 that August) my parents pack up for moving. Since we moved to the farm where my parents are now in early June. I also remember from that time where a good deal of our relatives came to help to remodel the house we were moving into to. I remember walking into my bedroom of the time and accidentally hurting my feet because I walked over some 2 X 4s laying on the floor.

bobafrett
05-29-2007, 05:25 PM
You honestly expect me to remember one day in my life that long ago? I had just turned 12, and was probably playing with my b-day presents, none of which were Star Wars because they hadn't been invented yet.