PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy: Star Wars

Pages : 1 [2]

Mister Roboto
07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
I never liked King of the Hill. I saw a few minutes of American Dad and that was a few minutes too many. And I couldn't tell you when the last time I saw an episode of the Simpsons. Family Guy is getting kind of old, too, but that is probably because all I see are the re-runs on Adult Swim.

JediTricks
07-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Did it get better?

I ask not to be sarcastic, but the episode I saw (first or second) was godawfully wretched. However, I do know that both Family Guy and American Dad went from borderline unwatchable beginnings to where they are today.

I take that back. American Dad wasn't borderline at all.I can't say if it got better because I have not enough frame of reference as to which ep you saw. I'd guess it did get better though, a lot about the first 8 eps were pretty weak, it's by no means as good as FG's better eps but they have plenty of crap ideas too.

American Dad took 2 seasons to find its legs, and now is all over the map, sometimes awesome out-there stuff like Rapture's Delight and others it's just Roger being an *** which is boring now (except when he's a Bondian villain).

Darth Metalmute
07-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Did it get better?

I watched all the episodes and while it wasn't great, it wasn't horrible. The premise gets old fast, and I can't see it lasting more than another season.

They had a segment on a Family Guy where it was something like, "Remember when Quagmire thought he was giving the spin-off." I think a Quagmire spin-off would be funny. Although I can see that getting old fast as well.

However, I do know that both Family Guy and American Dad went from borderline unwatchable beginnings to where they are today.

I take that back. American Dad wasn't borderline at all.

American Dad was horrible at the beginning. It's watchable now, but if they don't stop making every episode about Roger, I'm going to stop watching. Roger was cool as a secondary character, but now every episode is about him, and they are all basically the same episode with a different theme to tick Roger off.

Rocketboy
07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
The Cleveland Show is still really bad - almost as bad as American Dad - which is almost as bad as King of the Hill was.
I'll watch The Simpsons before I watch either of those pieces of sh*t.

Lord Malakite
07-14-2010, 06:00 PM
So what will Meg be this time? I predict Salacious Crumb.

Ando
07-14-2010, 06:32 PM
So what will Meg be this time? I predict Salacious Crumb.

The easy joke would be to make her Jabba. And since it seems like show likes to explout and make sport of humiliating Meg, I would bet that they'll go for the easy joke.

That's what I would do.

(PS: It's especially entertaining for me when they go after Meg because her character sorta looks like an ex gf of mine)

DarkJedi5
07-14-2010, 07:31 PM
The TVGuide preview art shows Joe Swanson as Jabba so that's out and I read somewhere Rush Limbaugh is the Sarlaac. I bet Meg is the Rancor.

DarkArtist
07-16-2010, 09:39 AM
can't wait to see this episode... been looking forward to it since Something Something Something Dark Side... :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-16-2010, 02:08 PM
The TVGuide preview art shows Joe Swanson as Jabba so that's out and I read somewhere Rush Limbaugh is the Sarlaac. I bet Meg is the Rancor.
Rancor, great call, that'll be my guess as well. If Ephant Mon were more famous, it'd be him, but since not, they'll likely use the Rancor - since it's something ugly, monstrous, noteworthy, and dies quickly.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-17-2010, 12:32 AM
I watched the first two today with my cousins, one 11 and the other 13, at their request (with my uncle saying it was okay for them). I knew SSSDS had some f-bombs, but I had forgotten about the exchange between R2-D2 and the Cloud City terminal, and I probably would/should have muted that. I did remember to censor 2-1B's "hot dog" line, though. :D

Darth Metalmute
07-20-2010, 09:00 PM

McFarlane was quoted that Meg will be the Sarlaac.

DarkJedi5
07-20-2010, 09:46 PM
McFarlane was quoted that Meg will be the Sarlaac.

From TVGuide.com (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusive-Family-Guy-1020367.aspx?rss=news&partnerid=spi&profileid=05) 7/12/2010:

"As you can tell by TV Guide Magazine's exclusive first look at the poster art, the still untitled project retains its faithful tone, but you can of course count on a merciless fanboy skewing of the Ewok-centered film. Seth MacFarlane and company are back along with several guest voices including semi-regulars Adam West and Carrie Fisher; Rush Limbaugh (as the Sarlaac pit monster); and Patrick Stewart and Michael Dorn in a Star Trek: The Next Generation riff. The movie goes on sale December 21 on DVD and Blu-ray."

That's my source. Where'd you see the McFarlane quote?

Darth Metalmute
07-21-2010, 07:37 AM
I got it from one the Family Guy sites. Oddly enough, after looking it up to confirm it, the same site lists Rush as the Sarlacc when you click on the "Meg as Sarlacc" link. Here's the story from Seth; http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=3589

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2010, 02:40 PM
It's a Trap! (http://starwars.com/fans/media/family_guy_trap/index.html) Sounds like Rush will be the Rancor, so I guess Meg could still be the Sarlacc.

El Chuxter
07-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Given all the jabs at Bush, Cheney, and Rove that MacFarlane has taken in Family Guy and American Dad (and possibly The Cleveland Show, if anyone can stomach sitting through it), I'm surprised Rush would appear on the show.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Given all the jabs at Bush, Cheney, and Rove that MacFarlane has taken in Family Guy and American Dad (and possibly The Cleveland Show, if anyone can stomach sitting through it), I'm surprised Rush would appear on the show.
He was already in the Blue Harvest episode as the conservative talk radio host (a real stretch for him, I know :p ) playing in the landspeeder while Luke and C-3PO look for R2-D2. So, your surprise is surprising. :D

Darth Metalmute
07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
What are the chances of a name change for the fourth time?

El Chuxter
07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
I knew about that. I'm not surprised he's appearing in the ROTJ spoof specifically, but that he'd appear on the show at all.

DarkJedi5
07-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Looks like TVGuide steered me wrong again (I'm looking at you celebrity Wheel of Fortune)! Sarlaac-Meg works for me, JT says it's her grossest appearance yet so I'm curious about that.

What are the chances of a name change for the fourth time?

Is this really the third name for the special? I knew they were gonna call it the "Great Muppet Capper" but had to change it but I didn't know of another. I guess they probably would have named it "Blue Harvest" except they used that for the first one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Looks like TVGuide steered me wrong again (I'm looking at you celebrity Wheel of Fortune)! Sarlaac-Meg works for me, JT says it's her grossest appearance yet so I'm curious about that.

Is this really the third name for the special? I knew they were gonna call it the "Great Muppet Capper" but had to change it but I didn't know of another. I guess they probably would have named it "Blue Harvest" except they used that for the first one.
First it was "The Great Muppet Caper," then "We Have a Bad Feeling About This."

JediTricks
07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
"It's A Trap" is indeed the name, as you may have seen in my news post about no prequel Family Guys - I got the body of the article working right this morning, but the initial confirmation I had posted less than 5 minutes after MacFarlane said the words. Anyway, "It's A Trap" is certainly the final name of the episode, since it will be coming out in December they have to author the menus and print the packaging and marketing materials pretty much now.

MINOR SPOILERS AHOY...

They showed 9 minutes of the footage from the ep at Comic-Con, and I felt the material they showed was better than the ESB episode. Meg is indeed the Sarlacc and yes, I think this is her grossest moment yet. Joe as Jabba didn't make all that much sense to me, but he plays it well. Tim the Bear is indeed one of the Ewoks, who are all bears like him, and it gets pretty gruesome when they kill Imperials. Carter Pewterschmidt is the Emperor, and he does lightning hands. The "let me look on you with my own eyes" bit goes awry in quite an unusual manner. Klaus from American Dad plays Ackbar, and it's brilliant, a goldfish bowl for a head and Klaus swimming around. Roger from AD plays Jerjerrod. Peter as Han's defrosting joke is pretty much as expected based on the ending of SSSDS. Instead of speeder bikes, they're riding 10-speeds around the moon of Endor. And there's a lot of nodding, which requires a break-in from the late Ted Knight in Caddyshack. There were a few other gags which I didn't mention that I think folks will enjoy.

Ando
07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Sounds hilarious. SSSDS was somewhat of a letdown, but that may have been because Blue Harvest, at least when I first saw it, was a surprise and was fresh and original.

Can't wait for IAT.

Rocketboy
07-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Characters from The Cleveland Show is bad enough, but American Dad too?
Ah crap.

At least The Cleveland Show is a direct spin-off.

JediTricks
07-27-2010, 07:48 PM
The problem is they used up way too many FG characters in the first one, so they had to go to the other parts of the MacFarlane franchise.

DarkJedi5
07-27-2010, 07:56 PM
I really don't see what the big problem is with the American Dad and Cleveland Show characters. I mean, they do Futurama/Simpsons cross-over comics which sounds incredibly worse than (spoiler!) Claus as Admiral Ackbar.

Rocketboy
07-27-2010, 10:41 PM
The problem is they used up way too many FG characters in the first one, so they had to go to the other parts of the MacFarlane franchise.What problem?
They reused Meg (Dianoga/Space Slug), Mort (Jawa/Lando), Bruce (Greedo/Imperial Officer), Joe (Biggs/Probot), Carter (Owen/Emperor) and more in the first two.

JediTricks
07-28-2010, 03:13 AM
I really don't see what the big problem is with the American Dad and Cleveland Show characters. I mean, they do Futurama/Simpsons cross-over comics which sounds incredibly worse than (spoiler!) Claus as Admiral Ackbar.I'll let you know what I think of that Futurama/Simpsons cross-over comic, I bought the hardback at Comic-Con, $5 off the cover price AND signed with a drawing by each of the authors.

What problem?
They reused Meg (Dianoga/Space Slug), Mort (Jawa/Lando), Bruce (Greedo/Imperial Officer), Joe (Biggs/Probot), Carter (Owen/Emperor) and more in the first two.They felt they overdid it though and it wasn't going to play well since they had even more characters to fill for ROTJ.

Lord Malakite
07-28-2010, 07:00 AM
They felt they overdid it though and it wasn't going to play well since they had even more characters to fill for ROTJ.
I'll agree with that. Family Guy's cast of main characters (while somewhat large for a TV show) is still relatively too small to handle all the various characters in the original Star Wars Trilogy without stretching them thin by rehashing them for multiple parts. Realistically, the only show that I can think of that could possibly pull off the original Star Wars Trilogy on its own (in terms of sheer amount of characters) would be The Simpsons. And even if they could, they'd still probably take the liberty of dipping into the Futurama cast anyway, if for no other reason than The Simpsons lacks any real wide range of exotic looking alien or robot characters.

Darth Metalmute
07-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Did they get Barrymore to play Jillian as Oola? I'm betting the Carrie Fisher cameo is as Peters' Boss as Mothma.

JediTricks
07-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Did they get Barrymore to play Jillian as Oola? I'm betting the Carrie Fisher cameo is as Peters' Boss as Mothma.
They didn't show Oola at all, so I dunno.

You are right on the money about Carrie's cameo though. That got a big applause from the room, which I'm happy to say I started.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the eye stalk robot thing in Jabba's door... Consuela. :D