PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy: Star Wars

Pages : [1] 2

Rocketboy
05-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Family Guy to Retell Star Wars: Episode IV
Source: Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117965865.html?categoryid=14&cs=1)
May 25, 2007

Fox's animated hit "Family Guy (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20646#)" will kick off its fifth season this September with an hourlong episode that retells the "Star Wars" saga using "Family Guy" characters.

Variety says Lucasfilm has blessed the event, which will have the Griffin family acting out all the key scenes and narrative from Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane is a major "Star Wars (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20646#)" fan and was personally involved in getting Lucasfilm on board.

Not surprisingly, family patriarch Peter Griffin will play the role of Han Solo, while mom Lois will appear as Princess Leia. Evil baby Stewie will be Darth Vader (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20646#), natch.

Brian the family dog will serve as Chewbacca, while son Chris is Luke. Robots R2-D2 and C-3PO will be handled by Cleveland and Quagmire, respectively, while creepy old guy Herbert gets the Obi- Wan character.

The plot of the episode has the Griffin family stuck at home during a blackout. With no TV to entertain them, Peter decides to tell a story --- leading to the "Star Wars" flashback.http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20646

Beast
05-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Awesome. Can't wait for September. Hopefully they'll also release it as a DTV Movie. Like the Stewie movie. Since I couldn't stand waiting a year or more for the DVD release. :)

El Chuxter
05-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Has Seth MacFarlane been watching Robot Chicken.

Wait. Robot Chicken is the brainchild of Chris Griffin!

Lord Malakite
05-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Looks like I'll have tons of Family Guy SW themed icons to draw in paint now to go with the others I've already made.

Rocketboy
05-27-2007, 11:36 PM
More from Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117965865.html?categoryid=14&cs=1):

'Family Guy' meets 'Star Wars'

Toon kicking off season with approved spoof

By JOSEF ADALIAN (http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=bio&peopleID=1373)

The Force is with "Family Guy."Fox's animated hit will kick off its fifth season this September with an hourlong episode that retells the "Star Wars" saga using "Family Guy" characters.
Lucasfilm has blessed the event, which will have the Griffin family acting out all the key scenes and narrative from "Star Wars: Episode IV -- A New Hope," the first installment of the franchise. "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane is a major "Star Wars" fan and was personally involved in getting Lucasfilm on board, an exec from 20th Century Fox TV said.
Family patriarch Peter Griffin will play the role of Han Solo, while mom Lois will appear as Princess Leia. Evil baby Stewie will be Darth Vader, natch.
Brian the family dog will serve as Chewbacca, while son Chris is Luke. Robots R2-D2 and C-3PO will be handled by Cleveland and Quagmire, respectively, while creepy old guy Herbert plays Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Plot of the episode has the Griffin family stuck at home during a blackout. With no TV to entertain them, Peter decides to tell a story -- leading to the "Star Wars" flashback.
Planning for the seg began more than a year ago. MacFarlane is set to show off footage from the episode at this weekend's "Star Wars" mega-convention in Los Angeles.
MacFarlane and the "Family Guy" writers have shown a strong interest in "Star Wars," serving up several mini-spoofs of the franchise in years past.
In addition to the "Star Wars" tribute, "Family Guy" will mark its 100th episode next season with a two-part special set to air in November.

Kidhuman
05-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Wow, just wow. This is going to be great

General_Grievous
05-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Should be fun. :thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
05-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks to JT's new avatar I've been able to make a rough icon version of Darth Stewie. JT's pic is a bit too grainy to make out all of the detail so I'll probably have to do some touch up to make it a bit more accurate when the actual episode hits. :thumbsup:

I also apologize for the blur effect with the colors. Saving anything from paint in jpg. format always seems to do that.

CaptainSolo1138
05-31-2007, 03:05 PM
I liked it better the first time I saw it...when it was called Star Wars.

JediTricks
05-31-2007, 04:04 PM
The panel on this was so awesome, they showed a good amount of footage, I'd guess 8 mins but it was hard to tell because I was so caught up. The gags are HILARIOUS in what they showed, everything was top-notch except for Han/Peter and the couch in the trash masher which was still funny, just not as solid a hit as everything else. I actually took a handful of pics of it, but I was using my older camera which kinda crapped out so they're all good for me, but not presentable to you guys I suspect. The most heartbreaking is Meg as the dianoga, because it's fairly clear but it's 2 frames overlapping.

I'll post more about it when I get the chance, there's a lot in that panel.

DarkArtist
05-31-2007, 05:09 PM
I can't wait to see this episode. I really thought that they would have aired the episode on the 25th of May in honor of the 30th Anniversary.

Phantom-like Menace
06-01-2007, 12:14 AM
I started laughing as soon as I read that Chris would be Luke and Herbert would be Obi-Wan. That's so obvious and simple yet brilliant. There is just so much potential there.

Jargo
06-01-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm so excited I blinked...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-03-2007, 01:17 PM
I saw the clips during one of the panels but had to leave early. The animation on much of it is really fantastic and it looked exactly like the films. Herbert's lightsaber was hilarious, so was the Star Destroyer's bumper sticker. :D

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 04:57 AM
They talked about how the director of the ep ended up really going back to the source material and remaking the film in many of the shots, and it really shows. He also pointed out that their Korean animation factory kicked out way higher quality work for this episode, the space ships being almost photo-realistic, they surmised it was because it was for something Star Wars.

Mr Herbert's lightsaber joke is so inappropriately hilarious, a simple gag with a droopy lightsaber blade but the timing and payoff is pretty much perfect.

Lois asks Chris if he's a little fat for a stormtrooper and Chris gives Lois some lip, I don't even remember the line exactly but oh my god it was funny and it was funny not just because he calls her a b**ch at the end but because it fits within the SW framework too.

Meg as the dianoga was exactly what you see in the film, no more was shown and that's how it should be.

Cleavland as R2 works pretty well, they don't bother with having him just say "beep beep boop", he switches to dialog but he's got that spunky attitude. They also rely on some ethnic gags with him, R2 with a baggie of pot and R2 firing a gun like a gangsta, can't have Family Guy without being inappropriate.

Quagmire as 3PO is funny without having to do anything.

Peter makes a pretty decent Han Solo, but there's this moment near the end of the footage they showed where the Falcon is squaring off against the TIEs before they can jump away from the Death Star, and Peter is humming the music from the scene as he jumps into the quad cannon control seat - that had us dying because we all know we'd do exactly that in the situation!

It's late and my memory has faded some, but I cannot wait for this episode.

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 04:21 PM
JediInsider is going to be in soooo much trouble when this gets out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ehLDVoujI

Bold move though, I'll give them that.

CaptainSolo1138
06-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Holy s**t, Peter and Brian running across the DS docking bay with that couch had me in tears!

El Chuxter
06-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah, but I think the best part is Peter singing along with the music during the battle.

Lord Malakite
06-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Oooh goodie! I now have tons of pics to work with. Darth Vader is still too dark/grainy to really do much more with him at the moment. I should be able to do several good ones from what I have though.

Chewie-Brian, Leia-Lois (hood up), Leia-Lois (hood down), Stormtrooper, Rebel Trooper (mustached guy), Rebel Trooper (white guy), Rebel Trooper (black guy), Rebel Trooper (native american colored guy), Luke-Chris (Tatooine), Luke-Chris (with gunner station headset), Luke-Chris (Stormtrooper disguise), Han-Peter (Smuggler outfit), Han-Peter (with gunner station headset), Han-Peter (Stormtrooper disguise), Diagnoga-Meg, the Tai TIE Fighter pilot, Airplane's Shirly (don't call me that :D), R2-Cleveland, 3PO-Glen, and Obi-Herbert.

Also if I'm lucky (the pics are kind of bad) I might be able to pull off the two Imperial Officers.

Rocketboy
06-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Freakin' sweet!

Beast
06-04-2007, 10:06 PM
JediInsider is going to be in soooo much trouble when this gets out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ehLDVoujI

Bold move though, I'll give them that.
Thanks for the link JT. Can't wait for the season premiere! :D

Jargo
06-04-2007, 10:09 PM
damn the episode I want those as toys. freakin sweet boxed set that would make
Especially Meg too. even if she's just a big eye stalk. Herbert's droopy saber hehe.

JediTricks
06-05-2007, 01:01 AM
damn the episode I want those as toys. freakin sweet boxed set that would make
Especially Meg too. even if she's just a big eye stalk. Herbert's droopy saber hehe.
Yeah, why not? Heck, Disney's got 2 waves of their characters as SW figures and a wave of Muppets as SW figures, and this makes more sense than that! (A dianoga Meg figure would be funny as hell)

Sure thing guys! I'm just glad more folks get to see what I saw, that stuff worked for me so right.

Beast
06-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Makes me wonder.... if it's a pretty big hit, if we'll see future installments.

I wouldn't mind at all having the whole 6-part Saga in Family Guy format. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Yeah, but I think the best part is Peter singing along with the music during the battle.

That KILLED me. I was in tears at that point. Cleveland busting some caps was GREAT too. Oh man, I cannot wait. And I gotta agree, I think we'll see future installments like this cos they look AWESOME. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
06-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Oh my god. I loved it.

Best parts:

-The "You still got that bag?" joke
-Peter throwing the pig's ear down the garbage chute
-Peter and the couch
-Herbert's lightsaber nearly made me pee myself. :D
-Peter singing along to the music
-"Thai Fighters"
-"They're coming too fast!" "Nickel for every time I had that problem." :p
-R2 Cleveland's drive-by

and finally

-"Great, kid! Don't get penisy!" :D

This is going to be awesome when it airs.

JediTricks
06-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Makes me wonder.... if it's a pretty big hit, if we'll see future installments.

I wouldn't mind at all having the whole 6-part Saga in Family Guy format. :DThey were asked exactly that at the panel, said it's not impossible, it depends on how this one goes. How awesome of a DVD movie would that be though, the SW saga done by Family Guy? Make it 2 hours long total - I don't think they'll be able to write as much material for the other 5, ANH is iconic - then Fox can sell a bajillion DVDs and air it in 6 parts during the summer.

That KILLED me. I was in tears at that point. Me too, I was starting to feel laughed out but when he starts singing the tune, I was literally in tears from laughing so hard.

-Peter and the couchHA! I guess I was wrong about that one, it's the part I thought wasn't going to translate well for everybody because it takes so long. I guess they know what they're doing.

-"Thai Fighters"It took me watching that part 3 times to get the joke, not because I'm dense but because the first 2 times the audience was already laughing so hard that I couldn't hear it.

-"They're coming too fast!" "Nickel for every time I had that problem." :pOh yeah, that was too funny! I was worried the kid-centric crowd at the show wouldn't like it, but they ate that joke up.

Jargo
06-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I think all six movies would possibly kill the fun. best jokes hit you fast and then stay smouldering. six episodes of this stuff would get a little drab. Though Bertram as The Emperor could be cool. Greased up deaf guy as darth Maul. 'catch me if you caaa-aaan' yeah what the hell. if it sucked it would just be a stand alone DVD to ignore. as long as it didn't interfere with the regular episodes of the show i guess I could deal with it.

Lord Malakite
06-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I think all six movies would possibly kill the fun. best jokes hit you fast and then stay smouldering. six episodes of this stuff would get a little drab. Though Bertram as The Emperor could be cool. Greased up deaf guy as darth Maul. 'catch me if you caaa-aaan' yeah what the hell. if it sucked it would just be a stand alone DVD to ignore. as long as it didn't interfere with the regular episodes of the show i guess I could deal with it.

The fighting chicken as General Grievous and Peter as Young Obi-Wan.

Jargo
06-06-2007, 06:25 PM
ESB. ok so chris and peter stay as han and luke. cleveland and quagmire as the droids lois as leia. stewie as vader and brian as chewie. meg could be the space slug I guess. Mr. pewterschmidt as the emperor. neil as Boba Fett. joe as yoda in a tiny wheelchair. or on strings. puppet connection. see? good.
Bruce as one of the imperial officers like piett or ozzel. could use greased up deaf guy as one too. running around while stewie tries to force choke him. probably be funnier in visuals....
no wait! Dick van Dyke as the emperor. how cool would that be? extremely.

Beast
06-06-2007, 06:46 PM
As long as there's a shot of Boba Fett eating dinner off Carbonite Han. :D

Lord Malakite
06-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Weatherman Ale as Mace Windu, Adam West as Palpatine, and Mr. Pewtershmit as Dooku. That would kill.:D

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 12:50 AM
As long as there's a shot of Boba Fett eating dinner off Carbonite Han. :D
Boba Fett must be played by Adam West!!! He could have an insane conversation with Han in carbonite and then end up marrying the Sarlacc right before being eaten. :p

Beast
06-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Boba Fett must be played by Adam West!!! He could have an insane conversation with Han in carbonite and then end up marrying the Sarlacc right before being eaten. :p
Brilliant! Get Seth McFarlane on the phone!! :D

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 02:06 AM
God, I need a WAV file of Adam West saying "What if he doesn't survive? He's no good to me dead" and "Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold." :thumbsup:

Jargo
06-08-2007, 09:26 PM
glad I managed to cath that preview while it was still up. though I watched it with the sound down so the jokes didn't get spoiled. I've realised I really can't stand Lois. Aside from being so whiney and nasal she's got nothing that marks her out. she's skanky and uptight. not a winning combination in my eyes. I'd be happy to see less of her. Less musical numbers too. the whole musical numbers in animated shows is getting tired now.

Rocketboy
09-07-2007, 12:38 PM
They've actually released a poster for the episode:
http://www.collider.com/entertainment/tv/article.asp/aid/5402/tcid/1

Freakin' Sweet.

vader121
09-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh man, have 9/23 (9pm est) circled on my calendar!

El Chuxter
09-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Funny thing is, they hyped this so long ago, I'm finding it hard to be excited about it now. :D

Rocketboy
09-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Its the only thing Star Wars related I've been able to excited about in a long time.

JediTricks
09-08-2007, 01:58 AM
That's an awesome poster! I love the callout to the McQuarrie Y-wings, that's a great touch. I didn't realize Adam West was gonna be Tarkin, that's fantastic.

2-1B
09-08-2007, 07:31 AM
I'd prefer it is West had a nonspeaking role. That guy rubs me the wrong way, I can't stand even the sound of his voice. Easily the worst thing about Family Guy (even worse than Seth Green).

Jargo
09-10-2007, 11:34 PM
How dare you speak against the mighty Seth Green!!!!! BLASPHEMER!!!!!!! HEATHEN SMELLY PERSON!!!!!!!!!

He is a god. That is all.

El Chuxter
09-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Eh, he's no Alton.

Rocketboy
09-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Clips at IGN. (http://media.tv.ign.com/media/824/824085/vids_1.html)

jedibear
09-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Well it's over...

Typical Family Guy show...some really funny bits along with some real duds.
(The whole Obi-Wan pedophile thing was WAY overdone, creepy and VERY unfunny...)
Interesting how slavishly they followed the look of the scenes so closely...looks like that was a lot of work.
I got some laughs out of it but it was definitely a one-time view for me...

Rocketboy
09-23-2007, 11:25 PM
What I said in the other thread:
Everything with Herbert was gold.
The opening crawl.
Peter's Coworker as the Tusken Raider and the guy with the effeminate voice as Greedo.
I lost it as the Falcon landed on Yavin "Pyew! Pyew! Gotcha!"

jonthejedi
09-24-2007, 05:29 AM
Heck, even Leslie Nielsen & The Griswalds showed up...what's not to love!

CaptainSolo1138
09-24-2007, 07:55 AM
I lost it as the Falcon landed on Yavin "Pyew! Pyew! Gotcha!"That part KILLED me! I thought the episode was solid. I saw the couch bit beforehand, but I was still lmao-ing when Peter and Bryan came barreling across the docking bay with it.

Also, "Ya'll got any strawburry milk on there?"

Bosskman
09-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Porkins Porkins Porkins

Battle Droid
09-24-2007, 03:03 PM
The Porkins scene was hilarious.

JediTricks
09-24-2007, 10:29 PM
This episode was awesome, one of my top 5 Family Guys of all time, and a better parody of Star Wars than Spaceballs. I laughed my a** off nearly the entire time, clapped so hard my hands were left stinging, and was more Star Wars-ed by this than the entire prequels. I can't wait to watch it again, and I hope they release it on DVD with extra material - I noticed a few bits that didn't make this cut, including the "what if they come in the other door" conversation and Peter holding onto the couch going "eaaasy!"

Rocketboy
09-24-2007, 10:30 PM
A freakin' sequel? Maybe...

It looks as though Family Guy's take on A New Hope had some fantastic preliminary ratings last night. Well, this could only mean one thing...we need to see the characters of Family Guy pay homage to The Empire Strikes Back next. According to the blogs at TVWeek.com (http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/james-hibberd/2007/09/family_guy_producers_may_take.php), the odds are good. (But I would never think of telling you the odds) See the quote below:

"Posting a 5.5 preliminary rating among adults 18 to 49, the episode was the highest-rated “Family Guy” since the show returned to Fox in 2005 (full weekend ratings will be posted soon). A spokesman for 20th Century Fox Television said there’s no official announcement on a sequel, but doing “Empire” next year “seems likely.”'http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/Family_Guy_Strikes_Back_109012.asp

Droid
09-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Yes, a sequel would be good. Because just like a New Hope and Darth Vader, I thought Stewie was a bit under used.

And there was no Joe...

Kidhuman
09-25-2007, 02:56 PM
IF they do a sequel, Boba Fett better be played by the Chicken. Can I get an AMEN on that?

CaptainSolo1138
09-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Watch it quick before it gets taken down. (http://www.milkandcookies.com/playlist/10164/):thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-25-2007, 04:25 PM
IF they do a sequel, Boba Fett better be played by the Chicken. Can I get an AMEN on that?

Oh man, that would be FAAAAAAAAAAANTASTIC. :thumbsup:

The main question is: who could be YODA?!?! Possibly Neil Goldman? Joe, which would be great seeing Luke training with joe on his back on Dagobah. Let the speculation begin! :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Holy nuts, that episode was freakin' sweet! Everything was done so perfectly. I loved all the little background details (Tom Tucker's kid as a droid, for one). My favorite FG-as-SW character was probably Peter's coworker as the Tusken Raider; I didn't expect that and loved it. I also loved the nods to other SW movies, like Lando and Watto. :D

As for cut scenes, they changed the part when C-3PO and R2-D2 smoke weed. In the clip shown at CIV, C-3PO talks about Philip Glass, but that was cut in favor of the "just tell me I don't have to leave this room!" stuff. I was glad they cut out the extra stuff from the Tantive IV and added the stormtroopers talking about the drill.

General_Grievous
09-25-2007, 07:08 PM
I was glad they cut out the extra stuff from the Tantive IV and added the stormtroopers talking about the drill.

Oh, that was great. "I was about to bone my girlfriend, but then the drill went off and she said there was no way." That was the second episode that dude was in.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh, that was great. "I was about to bone my girlfriend, but then the drill went off and she said there was no way." That was the second episode that dude was in.
I remembered the voice, but couldn't place where he was before or what he was supposed to be - Canadian, was it?

Rocketboy
09-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I just realized they missed something - who is the voice of Peter's boss at the brewery?

Carrie Fisher.

Lord Malakite
09-26-2007, 03:16 AM
The main question is: who could be YODA?!?! Possibly Neil Goldman? Joe, which would be great seeing Luke training with joe on his back on Dagobah. Let the speculation begin! :thumbsup:
How about Jasper (Herbert's pet dog) as Yoda? Its just creepy enough that it might work. :D

Droid
09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I considered the dog as Yoda. Not a bad idea. It could maintain the "creepy teacher" motif they have going.

I think they should have Evil Monkey be the Emperor. Maybe "Death" could be the Emperor.

I can't quite figure out Lando. Cleveland's son could be funny. "Look at me, I'm the administrator of this facility."

Who should be Jabba? (BTW, Meg as the trash compactor monster was too funny.)

I think Stewie's teddy bear (Rupert?) could be Wicket and the other Ewoks could be teddy bears.

They haven't used the reporters yet. They should be fit in somehow.

And they still have to fit in Joe.

I am sure Empire and Jedi won't be as good as Star Wars was, but they may as well go ahead and do it. I'm sure it will still be funny. They should not do the prequels because they were a parody of Star Wars to begin with.

General_Grievous
09-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I remembered the voice, but couldn't place where he was before or what he was supposed to be - Canadian, was it?

He was in the episode "Chick Cancer" (gotta love wikipedia), and he was talking about seeing Bigfoot and said something like: "I was in my car and was totally about to bone my girlfriend but then we saw Bigfoot and she said there was no way".

El Chuxter
09-27-2007, 11:40 AM
That was funnier the first time, and even then, it was only okay. The waving arms man dealio was annoying once, and really frigging annoying this time. Same thing with the stupid Herbert Kenobi dance number. There was just too much rehash of old Family Guy bits.

The SW ep would've been better with more random references (like Airplane and Vacation) and less "characters do the same thing they always do, but they're dressed in SW costumes." Take Cleveland/Artoo--when has Cleveland ever acted like a potsmoking gangsta from the hood? Christ, he's whiter than Peter! But it totally worked.

Not that the ep was bad by any means, but it could've been a lot better.

General_Grievous
09-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I thought it was the funniest episode in a long time due to the opening crawl Angelina Jolie rant alone.

BTW, "Gia"....rent it or watch for it late night on one of the HBO channels. :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
09-28-2007, 08:17 AM
I thought it was the funniest episode in a long time due to the opening crawl Angelina Jolie rant alone.

BTW, "Gia"....rent it or watch for it late night on one of the HBO channels. :thumbsup:"...she gets way naked in it."

El Chuxter
09-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Better than Hackers, which had only one redeeming scene... starring Ms Jolie?

Jargo
09-30-2007, 01:44 PM
not the best episode. i've watched it twice and think that Herbert is a character that could be retired. if they'd had him as the dianoga with just one gag regarding tentacles and chris/Luke it might have been funny.
Opie as the Tusken raider was the only thing that made me laugh out loud. I'm inclined to believe the South Park take on the writing staff.

JimJamBonds
09-30-2007, 10:47 PM
They've actually released a poster for the episode:
http://www.collider.com/entertainment/tv/article.asp/aid/5402/tcid/1

Freakin' Sweet.

Wow very cool.

2-1B
09-30-2007, 10:56 PM
I loved the Robot from Rocky 4 tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

General_Grievous
10-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Happy birthday, Paulie

CaptainSolo1138
10-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Happy birthday, PaulieI thought of dear Caesar when I saw that.

For the record, though, the episode sucked. I think I laughed at Paulie and Lois laughing at Brian's book being a rip-off of the "Iron Eagle" saga and that was it.

El Chuxter
10-01-2007, 12:19 PM
It was a really weak episode. I'm noticing more of the "jokes that go on way too long" bits. And it seems to be a dumping ground for Seth McFarlane's encyclopedic knowledge of who's naked in what movies. It was funny during the SW crawl. It wasn't funny any of the fifteen times or so last night.

The 80s robots was clever, but it actually would've worked better with more robots. Space Camp, Rocky IV, then Brian tells Stewie to get rid of the 80s robots. There should've been a third, or cut to a bunch of them waiting in the wings. (Johnny-Five would've been especially funny here.)

I guess the only real plus to this one is that Jillian is gone, since she was getting kinda old.

This was another night where Family Guy was outclassed by American Dad--and, surprisingly, Simpsons and King of the Hill, too. And Simpsons was pretty weak itself.

2-1B
10-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I thought of dear Caesar when I saw that.

Thank you. I appreciate that. :cry:

Beast
10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Good news. We won't have to wait for the next DVD Volume of Family Guy for the Star Wars episode. It's being released as a stand-alone DVD with extras on January 15th. It will be an extended verison of the episode. Can't wait! :)

From TVShowsonDVD:

Family Guy DVD news: Announcement for Family Guy - Blue Harvest
'Blue Harvest' Coming In Mid-January

About a month ago, the current season of Family Guy kicked off on the Fox Network with an hour-long Star Wars spectacular. The parody of the first theatrical film in the series, Chapter IV: A New Hope, was called "Blue Harvest", taking its episode name from the code name/fake film title that George Lucas employed to ensure secrecy during filming of Star Wars - Chapter VI: The Return of the Jed ("Blue Harvest" was supposedly a horror film, and the shooting crew had jackets, hats, clap-boards, and other material all equipped with the "Blue Harvest" film title to try to throw off rabid Star Wars fans from invading the location shots).

After a huge audience - 10.7 million viewers - tuned in to enjoy the parody episode, Fox Home Entertainment is finalizing plans to give Family Guy - Blue Harvest its own separate DVD release. The studio has not officially announced this yet, but our industry resources have leaked some significant details to us about this item:

Running time is 48 minutes, which we believe represents a slightly extended version of the episode Release date is planned for January 15th Cost will be $22.99 SRP Creator Seth MacFarlane will provide Audio Commentary on the show MacFarlane also hosts a behind-the-scenes featurette George Lucas is interviewed Animatics for "Blue Harvest" are included Some of the marketing trailers for the episode may be on board the disc An included extra is labeled as a Teaser for "Family Guy Presents Empire Strikes Back"

Box art wasn't available to send to us, but we were told it would resemble the classic Star Wars movie poster art but with Family Guy characters. Stay tuned and we'll bring you more about it, and that cover art, just as soon as Fox makes it official!

Kidhuman
10-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Good News Everyone: oops, wrong cartoon.

Rocketboy
10-29-2007, 04:20 PM
January? They should have had it out before Christmas (unless they plan on releasing the trilogy yet again this year).
Awesome news though.

JediTricks
10-30-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't care what holiday it comes out during, MLK Day will do fine. I am thrilled to death that this is hitting, and so soon!

Rocketboy
11-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Its official, Blue Harvest will be on DVD January 15 in a standard and special edition:

The Griffin Clan Spoofs the First Star Wars Movie – Family Guy Presents: “Blue Harvest”

DVD Debuts January from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Featuring Never-Before-Seen Footage, Commentaries, Interview With George Lucas and Others, and a First Look at the Next Hilarious Intergalactic Adventure

Special Edition Also Available, Featuring Collectible Packaging, T-Shirt, Trading Cards, 3-D Glasses and More

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--A long time ago, but somehow in the future …Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment presents an outrageous look at the Star Wars™ universe when Family Guy Presents: “Blue Harvest” parodies the movie that started it all – Episode IV A New Hope – on DVD on January 15 in North America and Canada, January 22 will kick-off international releases. “Blue Harvest” finds Peter, Lois, Chris, Stewie, Brian and some of Quahog’s finest in the middle of George Lucas’ beloved science-fiction epic. Feel the Farce in the most irreverent and hilarious way possible, with Han Solo (Peter) Dumpster diving for furniture, Darth Vader (Stewie) soiling his diapers, Luke (Chris) battling against “Thai” fighters, and C-3PO (Quagmire) flirting with a 1980s dot-matrix printer. Featuring hysterical cameos from Rush Limbaugh, Chevy Chase, Beverly D’Angelo and Helen Reddy, Family Guy Presents: “Blue Harvest” is “a dead-on homage that hilariously picks apart Star Wars, along with much of real life” (Associated Press). The DVD features more than four minutes of never-before-seen material, an uncensored track, animatics, commentaries, interviews with Seth MacFarlane and George Lucas, and a first look at a now-in-production “Family Guy” Star Wars spoof (which goes by the working title of “Something, Something, Something Dark Side”). Also available for true “Family Guy” and “Star Wars” fans is a special edition DVD that features collectible packaging, trading cards, an exclusive brochure, 3-D glasses, a t-shirt and more. The Family Guy Presents: “Blue Harvest” DVD is available for the suggested retail price of $22.98 U.S. / $25.98 Canada. The special edition is available for a suggested retail price of $34.99 U.S. / $46.98 Canada

Family Guy Presents: “Blue Harvest” Synopsis

The laughs come full Force when the Griffin clan puts a freakin' sweet spin on the greatest sci-fi saga ever told! With Peter playing the swashbuckling Han Solo, Lois as the sexy Princess Leia, Chris as an adolescent Luke Skywalker, Brian as a well-spoken Chewbacca, and Stewie finally embracing his dark side as Darth Vader, who knows what will happen. Filled with outrageous gags, spaced out droids and more intergalactic satire than you can shake a lightsaber at, this epic spoof is a must-own for every fan of Family Guy! The episode title comes from the code name used when filming Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi.

Family Guy Presents: "Blue Harvest" Special Features

--
Standard Edition

-- More than four minutes of exclusive DVD material
-- Animatics/Commentaries
-- Interviews with Seth MacFarlane and George Lucas
-- Uncensored Track
-- Teaser of next Star Wars spoof, "Something, Something, Something Dark Side"

--
Special Edition

-- Family Guy Presents: "Blue Harvest" Standard Edition DVD
-- Collectible Packaging
-- 3-D Fight Scene
-- 3-D Glasses
-- T-Shirt
-- Trading Cards
-- Exclusive Brochure

Complete title configurations and market release dates will be announced by individual territories.

STAR WARS and all related character names and other properties are trademarks and/or copyrights, in the United States and other countries, of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. TM & © Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

A recognized global industry leader, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC (TCFHE) is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray Disc (BD) as well as acquisitions and original productions. The company also releases all products around the globe for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets – from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce – throughout the world. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC is a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company.

Beast
11-05-2007, 05:06 PM
"Something, Something, Something Dark Side"

They should have saved that for Return of the Jedi. Or Revenge of the Sith.

Rocketboy
11-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Same thing could be said for "Blue Harvest."
"Something..." is an old joke they used before.

Beast
11-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I love the packaging on the Special Edition version. That's a sale!

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/media/news20071105.html

Also, very cool that they replicated the look of the old Topps Star Wars cards. :D

Beast
11-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Some more close-up pictures of the Special Edition version. Can't wait. :)

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/family-guy-presents-blue-harvest.html

JediTricks
11-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Oh man, I am so buying the SE version!

I just noticed, the 3D glasses are Stewie's Darth Vader mask.

Rocketboy
01-08-2008, 09:14 AM
A couple of screencaps of the cut stuff from the DVD I found in a review.

JediTricks
01-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Oh man, that's awesome, both of 'em!!! I can't wait to buy this sucker!

Beast
01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
At least we finally found out where Joe was supposed to appear. :)

Can't wait for this to come out next week. I'm definatly getting the SE version.
The reported teaser for the ESB parody is gonna let people down though.

Rocketboy
01-08-2008, 11:25 PM
The Special Edition is a definite must have.
Heck, this is the only Star Wars thing that I've been excited about in ages.

I love that Stormtrooper on the cross!

El Chuxter
01-09-2008, 12:22 AM
There's no actual extra content on the special edition, is there?

I'm still not super-excited about this release, but I'm guessing it won't be on the next season set, so I guess I have to get it eventually to have a full collection. No way am I paying extra for a box and a lot of useless trinkets.

General_Grievous
01-09-2008, 01:38 AM
That Special Edition set is looking mighty tasty. I might have to buy it.

Kidhuman
01-09-2008, 01:47 AM
I just watched this on my DR three days ago. I cant wait for the DVD release. Based on reviews here will help me make up my mind on the Special Edition or not.

General_Grievous
01-09-2008, 03:42 PM
If only they had included the Robot Chicken Star Wars special along with it.

Rocketboy
01-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Why ruin it?

General_Grievous
01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Dude, that was golden for the Jar Jar sketch alone.

JediTricks
01-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Why ruin it?
Nicely done! :D

Rocketboy
01-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Most of the Robot Chicken was pretty boring uninspired. There were a few good bits, but most of it sucked.

JetsAndHeels
01-13-2008, 07:06 PM
The special edition is looking pretty nice.

I think I will take the plunge. The goodies in the set look worth the extra $$.

jediguy
01-13-2008, 10:10 PM
I plan to get this the day it's put on sale and make my friends watch it with me

I hope I make one by then

DarthQuack
01-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Looking forward to the release tomorrow...should be good.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Looking forward to the release tomorrow...should be good.

Defiinitely agree with you, Quackster. I was going to sleep in, but now im' gonna make sure I get to BB when it opens to get the deluxe set. And the complete series set of EXTRAS to boot.

and i'm really surprised there hasn't been an announcement about FAMILY GUY action figures. They NEED to happen!! :thumbsup:

Beast
01-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Defiinitely agree with you, Quackster. I was going to sleep in, but now im' gonna make sure I get to BB when it opens to get the deluxe set. And the complete series set of EXTRAS to boot.

and i'm really surprised there hasn't been an announcement about FAMILY GUY action figures. They NEED to happen!! :thumbsup:
There might be a problem considering Hasbro has the figure license. We'll see.

I certainly wouldn't mind a set of the Star Wars themed Family Guy figures. :D

General_Grievous
01-15-2008, 01:26 PM
I bought the DVD today and watched it. There are quite a few new scenes, apart from the Stormtrooper wedding and the Biggs scenes. There's a great scene involving two mouse droids and my favorite new addition, John Bender from "The Breakfast Club" making a cameo appearance during the Rebel briefing, asking General Dodonna if Barry Manilow knows he raids his wardrobe. :p The only bad thing about the DVD is that there is no preview for the "Empire Strikes Back" episode.

bobafrett
01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Bought it, watched it, fell asleep during certain parts. Mostly due to being in the reclined position in my bed, not because it was boring.

DarthQuack
01-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Picked it up today, used a $5 reward zone certificate so it was 19.99 for me!

Beast
01-15-2008, 07:28 PM
I bought the DVD today and watched it. There are quite a few new scenes, apart from the Stormtrooper wedding and the Biggs scenes. There's a great scene involving two mouse droids and my favorite new addition, John Bender from "The Breakfast Club" making a cameo appearance during the Rebel briefing, asking General Dodonna if Barry Manilow knows he raids his wardrobe. :p The only bad thing about the DVD is that there is no preview for the "Empire Strikes Back" episode.
Yeah, I wonder what happened to the preview. Unless it's an Easter Egg.

Rocketboy
01-15-2008, 08:13 PM
There are actually 2 Empire Easter Eggs.

1, which was a bit of a disappointment, IMO:
On the Special Features Menu, near the bottom (I forgot what option right off the top of my head), press left and bubbles near Meg/Dianoga light up.

2, which is pretty funny (If you have good ears or turn of the volume):
On the Options Menu, again near the bottom (and again I forgot what option right off the top of my head), press left and lightning will light up on the tractor beam reactor.

General_Grievous
01-15-2008, 08:50 PM

On the Special Features Menu, near the bottom (I forgot what option right off the top of my head), press left and bubbles near Meg/Dianoga light up.

On the Options Menu, again near the bottom (and again I forgot what option right off the top of my head), press left and lightning will light up on the tractor beam reactor.
Thanks for the tip, Rocks.

Just watched both of those. The announcement trailer would have sucked if not for the glimpse of the Chicken as Boba Fett. But if the "Empire Strikes Back" episode is anything like the table read, we're in for some more funny stuff. "Alright, Empire! Get ready to suck some Dak!" lol

Beast
01-15-2008, 10:33 PM

Thanks man. Looks like the Empire Episode will be just as good, if not better. :D

2-1B
01-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Where must I go for that Deluxe set ?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-15-2008, 11:31 PM

awesome! I had a gut feeling one of the eggs was by Meg/dianoga, but I kept playing with the options below her, the RESUME EPISODE and MAIN MENU. Good find!!

And I saw that table read on youtube, but it's still great. The scene with Dak sounds hysterical, "He seems pretty fired up. Maybe we should turn around and leave?" lol I can't wait. And the chicken looks great!! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
01-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Costco is running a pretty cool sale on the deluxe edition, if you don't have the full set of the show already. It's $23.49, but it's $10 off if you buy any of the five season sets for $18.99 (a good price on those, anyway).

Since I didn't have Season 5 yet, I wound up getting the deluxe edition after all. It turned out costing me about as much as the regular would've at Best Buy.

JediTricks
01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Picked up the deluxe edition at Target for $25, I was there and in a rush so no comparison shopping. Haven't watched the DVD stuff yet, but I dug the art book (though I wanted it to have even more) and the cards making the 3d poster were a'ight.

CaptainSolo1138
01-16-2008, 08:57 PM
I ordered the stripped-down version from Hot Topic today (I had a giftcard). What am I missing out on?

JediTricks
01-16-2008, 09:50 PM
T-shirt (cover art, XL size), 20-page "art of" booklet, a dozen trading cards with a puzzle-poster image on the back (the gang in the cellblock) that's 3-D, a pair of red/blue 3-D glasses with a Darth Stewie mask design, a digital copy of the episode for PC and ipod, and I guess the 3-D scene of the end battle on the DVD (which I haven't checked out yet).

CaptainSolo1138
01-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks, JT. I'm glad I skipped out on that.

wampaslayr
01-17-2008, 04:00 AM
If anyone bought the Target Deluxe version, what is on the second bonus disk? My Target is completely sold out of both versions and was wondering if I should just go elsewhere for it. I haven't been able to find out what is on the bonus disk to see if I should hold out for the Target version since I got a rain check. Please let me know. Thanks.

Beast
01-17-2008, 11:13 AM
If anyone bought the Target Deluxe version, what is on the second bonus disk? My Target is completely sold out of both versions and was wondering if I should just go elsewhere for it. I haven't been able to find out what is on the bonus disk to see if I should hold out for the Target version since I got a rain check. Please let me know. Thanks.
As far as I know, the Target Deluxe version is the same as everyone elses. The second disc is just the digital copy. They've done this with a lot of releases, making it sound like they have something exclusive when they don't.

JediTricks
01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
As far as I know, nobody had an exclusive for this one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Does the t-shirt come in any other size or are they all XL?

General_Grievous
01-17-2008, 05:18 PM
They're all XL.

JediTricks
01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, this is made for Star Wars nerds, XL is a solid average. :p If you're desperate, my tall, lanky chum, I'd suggest having the design cut off the shirt and sewn onto another one... but that does seem a tad extreme.

I watched it last night with the commentary on, though I went back and watched all the scenes that weren't on TV as well. Commentary was fair, I was surprised to hear Mark Hamill didn't like that joke about Harrison Ford's career being the only one to survive, I wonder if that'll affect his future voice work on the show (Carrie didn't seem to mind). The "Jewas" gag that Lucasfilm put the kibosh on wasn't particularly funny so I didn't mind it getting taken out, though Mrs. Pewterschmitt's response probably would have worked out better. I can't believe they cut Obi-Wan's Sandtrooper mind-trick gag from the TV ep but left the "advertisement" throwback in there.

I also watched the conversation with Lucas, he's not looking too well these days, I was a little taken aback by that. Some of what he said felt like it came out of the Lucas hall of talking points, but some felt pretty creative and I liked his reasoning for letting FG do this. I'm gonna make an audio file of Lucas saying "that's bullsh**", that was awesome.

CaptainSolo1138
01-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah, this is made for Star Wars nerds, XL is a solid average. :p If you're desperate, my tall, skinny chum, I'd suggest having the design cut off the shirt and sewn onto another one... but that does seem a tad extreme.If you want the shirt bad enough in your size, Hot Topic sells it in S-XXXL (http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302028483&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442169520&bmUID=1200682482776).

El Chuxter
01-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Lucas dropped the s-bomb? Wow. I've got to watch those extras ASAP!

JediTricks
01-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Cappy, that's a different design entirely, the DVD is based on the saber-holding open-shirt Luke with scantily-clad Leia poster: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-images/B000YRY8CU/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_2/103-8725441-6947046?ie=UTF8&index=2#gallery

(BTW, how amazing is it that they've now reproduced 2 different awesome, iconic Star Wars posters as Family Guy?)

Indeed Lucas does, but it's going to be a tough pulling it clean from the DVD because Seth starts laughing at the "t" part of it. It'll come off clear enough as "bullsh-" but I am not sure if the last little part will come through. It'll be good enough without I suppose. I'll be using the clip a lot in my daily life. :p

Beast
01-18-2008, 02:32 PM
The "Jewas" gag that Lucasfilm put the kibosh on wasn't particularly funny so I didn't mind it getting taken out, though Mrs. Pewterschmitt's response probably would have worked out better.
I was surprised there was only that and the Scrotum-Face joke that Lucas kiboshed.

To be fair, I'm kinda glad he kiboshed that one. As "Scott" is actually funnier.

CaptainSolo1138
01-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Cappy, that's a different design entirely, the DVD is based on the saber-holding open-shirt Luke with scantily-clad Leia poster: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-images/B000YRY8CU/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_2/103-8725441-6947046?ie=UTF8&index=2#gallery

(BTW, how amazing is it that they've now reproduced 2 different awesome, iconic Star Wars posters as Family Guy?)I'll be. Good to know. Thanks, JT.

JediTricks
01-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Sure thing Cappy. Now ya gotta drop $25 on the DVD set for the shirt. :p The other shirt being $19 makes $25 not so steep though. :D

I didn't hear that Lucasfilm put the kibosh on that Ponda Baba joke, I just heard Seth say he originally wanted that name. Honestly, I think "buttmouth" is funnier than both what he wanted and "Scott" - that whole "he's just a normal person" gag didn't work for me.

I wonder why Fwad was used in the cellblock, there was some discussion in the commentary about not being able to use the character they originally wanted, and it had to be kept hush-hush, like some sort of legal reason. They were going to use Carl, the clerk at the mini-mart who is voiced by Jon Benjamin.

Rocketboy
01-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I also watched the conversation with Lucas, he's not looking too well these days, I was a little taken aback by that. I was beginning to wonder if anyone else noticed that. He looked like sh*t.

jonthejedi
01-19-2008, 05:18 PM
How come(I wonder) the medal ceremony scene in the behind-the-scenes was cut out. My son wants to know....who voices Peter. I can make everyone out in the cast but him.

El Chuxter
01-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Seth McFarlane. Brian is his "normal" speaking voice, and Peter is based on someone he knew, but I can't recall who.

Kidhuman
01-19-2008, 05:46 PM

Not action figures, but still pretty freakin' sweet:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FU8340

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FU8339

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FU8341

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2008, 08:43 PM
I ended up getting the box set today. I think it was well worth the extra $10, though the t-shirt is pretty huge. It is nice though, so hopefully it will shrink some in the wash.

JediTricks
01-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Those Bobbleheads don't look all that good IMO, and the name plates are pretty goofy that way.

I watched the Animated Storyboards version, there's a number of different things, nearly all the opening sequence before the scroll is different, and there's several different gags. Most notably though, the aforementioned Carl in the cellblock bit is there complete with Jon Benjamin's lines - no clue why that was cut but included here. There's no music, and only a few shoddy sound effects, but the lines are all there and the drawn art looks like a dream come true for any SW fan who drew scenes from the movie as a kid.

2-1B
01-20-2008, 03:57 AM
I also got the Gift Set for the extra bucks, I figured the shirt and trading cards were worth it, plus the enlarged box is a cool display item.

I couldn't care less about the digital disc, though.

General_Grievous
01-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Not action figures, but still pretty freakin' sweet:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FU8340

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FU8339

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FU8341

Why is Stewie's face showing?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I watched it last night, along with all the special features (except for the commentary or animatics version). What were all the differences? I found:

*the "what if they come in a different door?" was the longer CIV version, not the TV version
*Stewie didn't ask "So, when is this gonna be on?" (was this on TV, or just at CIV?)
*waiting in line at the cantina
*Death Star News (I was wondering where those guys were)
*the Mouse Droids talking about Tyra Banks :D
*Vader and Tarkin talking about the couch
*the Breakfast Club guy (but there WAS a briefing scene originally, right?)
*Biggs before the battle (odd how this was also an added scene in the SE of ANH)
*Biggs after the battle

I didn't think Lucas was on the brink of death on his interview or anything; I mean, he's what, 62? Give the old man a break. :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-20-2008, 05:12 PM
I watched it last night, along with all the special features (except for the commentary or animatics version). What were all the differences? I found:

*the "what if they come in a different door?" was the longer CIV version, not the TV version
*Stewie didn't ask "So, when is this gonna be on?" (was this on TV, or just at CIV?)
*waiting in line at the cantina
*Death Star News (I was wondering where those guys were)
*the Mouse Droids talking about Tyra Banks :D
*Vader and Tarkin talking about the couch
*the Breakfast Club guy (but there WAS a briefing scene originally, right?)
*Biggs before the battle (odd how this was also an added scene in the SE of ANH)
*Biggs after the battle

I didn't think Lucas was on the brink of death on his interview or anything; I mean, he's what, 62? Give the old man a break. :p

The "what if they come in a different door" line was only in the CIV footage although I thought the line was actually LONGER in the CIV footage, but I might be wrong.

The "when is this gonna be on" was only on the CIV footage. And yes the briefing scene was in the original, but it didn't have the breakfast club guy. :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I forgot the Stormtrooper church part. Was the Imperial March muzak in the TV one too? Either way, I thought that was hysterical for some reason. :D

bobafrett
01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I snagged the Family Guy Blue Harvest display from Wal-Mart today, the thing was so frigging big, I had to take it apart to fit it in my car.

JediTricks
01-22-2008, 02:38 AM
Yeah, the "different door" seemed even longer at CIV.

Imperial March muzak was indeed in the TV version, thank the maker, but it was only the short version done after we left the stormtrooper church.

There was definitely a briefing scene in the TV version because we had to endure that lame Magic Johnson bit at the end (which, it turns out, the writer of that gag got called before Fox lawyers who wanted him to prove it was an accurate parody, and he says he had tons of material he gave them where the real Magic in interviews does that 'give a joke then buy it back' stuff over and over, so it's astute in its observation but is neither well-written nor well-paced).

immblueversion
01-22-2008, 06:00 PM
How about the Evil Monkey as Yoda? I know he appeared in the cantina in the background as himself, but you must admit that the role is perfect since Chris is Luke.

immblueversion
01-22-2008, 06:03 PM
How about Jasper (Herbert's pet dog) as Yoda? Its just creepy enough that it might work. :D

How about the Evil Monkey as Yoda? You must admit that the role is perfect since Chris is Luke, even though the monkey appeared as himself in the background of the cantina scene. And FYI, Jasper is the name of Brian's gay cousin. The name of Herbert's dog is Jessie.

immblueversion
01-22-2008, 06:05 PM

FYI, Boba Fett is being played by the Giant Chicken. It's perfect since Peter is Han and both pairs hate each other.

immblueversion
01-22-2008, 06:14 PM
I considered the dog as Yoda. Not a bad idea. It could maintain the "creepy teacher" motif they have going.

I think they should have Evil Monkey be the Emperor. Maybe "Death" could be the Emperor.

I can't quite figure out Lando. Cleveland's son could be funny. "Look at me, I'm the administrator of this facility."

Who should be Jabba? (BTW, Meg as the trash compactor monster was too funny.)

I think Stewie's teddy bear (Rupert?) could be Wicket and the other Ewoks could be teddy bears.

They haven't used the reporters yet. They should be fit in somehow.

And they still have to fit in Joe.

I am sure Empire and Jedi won't be as good as Star Wars was, but they may as well go ahead and do it. I'm sure it will still be funny. They should not do the prequels because they were a parody of Star Wars to begin with.

Just so you know, Tom, Diane, Ollie and Joe all appeared on the DVD. The news guys all play themselves, except they're Imperials, and Joe plays Biggs, Luke's buddy with the mustache (except he doesn't take part in the assault on the Death Star because he's in a wheelchair).

By the way, I've always imagined the Evil Monkey as Yoda (even though he already appeared as himself in the background of the cantina) and one of Peter's black relatives as Lando. The Giant Chicken will be Boba Fett. AND A PREQUEL IS NOT A PARODY!!!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Hey immblueversion, who do you think should be Yoda?

immblueversion
01-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey immblueversion, who do you think should be Yoda?
I say the Evil Monkey should be Yoda. You have to admit that it makes a lot more sense that way because Chris plays Luke. It just seems to work so well when you think about it.

NOTE: This is like the third or fourth time I've posted that the Evil Monkey should be Yoda. I'm not saying this because I'm sick and tired of saying this (in fact I could do this all day), I'm just saying this to those of you who noticed.

DarthQuack
01-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Just watched this tonight...I had forgotten there were a few laugh out loud parts for me.....Great kid, don't get Penisy! being one of them...I enjoyed it a lot....still have to check out the extra's and the 3-D scene.

Slicker
01-23-2008, 09:22 PM
I finally was able to watch this last night. Wow. I was laughing through almost the entire damn thing!! If I had to pick the single bad part it would've had to be the stupid Magic Johnson thing. What a non-funny waste.

Kidhuman
01-23-2008, 09:39 PM
I watched the DVD today. I loved the deleted scenes. I agree that the Magic Johnson part was dull.

I watched the Lucas interview and I thought he looked alright, just aged a bit. HE didnt look like sh*t.

I was having a hard time getting the Easter Eggs to work, but I finally did it by scrolling the the last options on the screen and hitting left 2-3 times and I got them to work. The script reading was funny and the Boba Fett preview was great.

I couldnt believe they have to send every little SW reference to Lucas for approval. Its cool he lets them ride and doesnt turn them down at all.

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 11:55 PM
I finally was able to watch this last night. Wow. I was laughing through almost the entire damn thing!! If I had to pick the single bad part it would've had to be the stupid Magic Johnson thing. What a non-funny waste.Totally agree!!! That and the intergalactic arm-waving advertising droids bit are the only stuff that has no redeeming value in the show. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. And glad you got to see it at all considering where you are these days.

Rocketboy
01-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. And glad you got to see it at all considering where you are these days.That backwater, privative, third-world country of Japan?

2-1B
01-25-2008, 06:13 PM
I finally was able to watch this last night. Wow. I was laughing through almost the entire damn thing!! If I had to pick the single bad part it would've had to be the stupid Magic Johnson thing. What a non-funny waste.

Hey Slicker, now that you've seen this, who do you think should play Yoda in the ESB version ?

General_Grievous
01-25-2008, 09:21 PM
How about the Evil Monkey as Yoda? I know he appeared in the cantina in the background as himself, but you must admit that the role is perfect since Chris is Luke.

How about the Evil Monkey as Yoda? You must admit that the role is perfect since Chris is Luke, even though the monkey appeared as himself in the background of the cantina scene.

By the way, I've always imagined the Evil Monkey as Yoda (even though he already appeared as himself in the background of the cantina)

I say the Evil Monkey should be Yoda. You have to admit that it makes a lot more sense that way because Chris plays Luke. It just seems to work so well when you think about it.

NOTE: This is like the third or fourth time I've posted that the Evil Monkey should be Yoda. I'm not saying this because I'm sick and tired of saying this (in fact I could do this all day), I'm just saying this to those of you who noticed.

That's nice, boy. : pats immblueversion on the head: WHO'S A GOOD BOY? WHO'S A GOOD BOY? You want to play fetch, boy? Go get it, boy! That's a good boy. You get a treat now.

Slicker
01-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Totally agree!!! That and the intergalactic arm-waving advertising droids bit are the only stuff that has no redeeming value in the show. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. And glad you got to see it at all considering where you are these days.The Magic Johnson didn't even get a titter but I was laughing my arse off at the flailing arm bit. I guess it's just the stupidity of it all that gets me and the fact that whenever that bit came on in the Stewie Movie (that's where it was as well, right?) I could only think of this car wash in Virginia that ALWAYS had a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man in front of it.

Hey Slicker, now that you've seen this, who do you think should play Yoda in the ESB version ?Obviously it's gotta be the evil monkey but he already had his cameo in the cantina.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-25-2008, 10:41 PM
But, you must admit, it is a good idea, you must admit.

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 11:21 PM
That backwater, privative, third-world country of Japan?I was thinking a large floating plane palace which occasionally docks there.

The Magic Johnson didn't even get a titter but I was laughing my arse off at the flailing arm bit. I guess it's just the stupidity of it all that gets me and the fact that whenever that bit came on in the Stewie Movie (that's where it was as well, right?) I could only think of this car wash in Virginia that ALWAYS had a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man in front of it.Yeah, it's a callback from the Stewie Movie. I thought they could have played it for half a second and it might have been funny, but the whole thing dragged for me - there are a LOT of those things in LA so it's such a non-entry to me in that respect.

Slicker
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah, it's a callback from the Stewie Movie. I thought they could have played it for half a second and it might have been funny, but the whole thing dragged for me - there are a LOT of those things in LA so it's such a non-entry to me in that respect.I see where you're coming from on the time part. There were a few things that I wish would've been cut so they could do more from the movie instead of being Family Guy but that's just the Star Wars side of me. Parts like them leaving the Falcon when it's on the Death Star and they do the slow cool walk, when Jasper-Wan Kenobi sings to Chris, and like when Peter does the "talk show" in the detention area. They were all funny parts and I lauged hard to each of 'em but I just wanted more Star Wars scenes!!

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 11:57 PM
The "stay cool" walk is a reference to The Blues Brothers, and yeah, it could have been cut in half and still worked - especially with a bigger musical moment RIGHT around the corner. And while relatively quick, they put far too much time into "thanks for the sex, early 90s printer", that wasn't even a joke, it didn't really deliver at all - my guess is that was a pet joke of someone who had an old dot matrix printer and they were hung up on that rather than Quag-3PO having sex with a weird machine.

I think Jasper's entire end dance sequence from Dirty Dancing was kinda funny, and they really couldn't have done it any shorter because the gag is the extreme distance they go recreating the scene. Peter and the talk show in the detention area is another one that could have stopped after the first quick joke there and would have worked even better.

jonthejedi
01-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Did I notice a medal ceramony bit in the behind the scenes doc. that wasn't(obviously) in the episode itself? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Kidhuman
01-26-2008, 06:56 AM
That was in a different episode John. I cant rememer exactly which one.

JediTricks
01-26-2008, 04:55 PM
To be honest, the medal ceremony being left out has bothered me about this ep since the first TV airing, it feels a tiny bit incomplete. Granted, they did the gag in "Blind Ambition", but this was more important.

Lord Malakite
01-29-2008, 03:43 AM
That was in a different episode John. I cant remember exactly which one.

It was from the same episode where Peter goes blind from poisoning after eating coins. I'm not certain of the episode title though.

Rocketboy
01-29-2008, 11:31 AM
It was from the same episode where Peter goes blind from poisoning after eating coins. I'm not certain of the episode title though."Blind Ambition"

Kidhuman
01-29-2008, 12:58 PM
That was in a different episode John. I cant rememer exactly which one.

To be honest, the medal ceremony being left out has bothered me about this ep since the first TV airing, it feels a tiny bit incomplete. Granted, they did the gag in "Blind Ambition", but this was more important.

It was from the same episode where Peter goes blind from poisoning after eating coins. I'm not certain of the episode title though.

"Blind Ambition"

Just follow the posts.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I watched the DVD today. I loved the deleted scenes. I agree that the Magic Johnson part was dull.

I watched the Lucas interview and I thought he looked alright, just aged a bit. HE didnt look like sh*t.

I was having a hard time getting the Easter Eggs to work, but I finally did it by scrolling the the last options on the screen and hitting left 2-3 times and I got them to work. The script reading was funny and the Boba Fett preview was great.

I couldnt believe they have to send every little SW reference to Lucas for approval. Its cool he lets them ride and doesnt turn them down at all.

I've noticed that Lucas is pretty cool about ppl borrowing from him. From what I've heard, everything has to go though Lucasfilm to be approved if some other media outlet wants to reference, or make a spoof, or what not.
I can't wait for Robot Chicken on DVD, or for the ESB episode of Family guy.:)

JediTricks
01-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Just follow the posts.Thank you!

Anybody else notice that the main DVD menu is lifted straight from the Death Star theme on the ANH DVD menu?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Thank you!

Anybody else notice that the main DVD menu is lifted straight from the Death Star theme on the ANH DVD menu?
Yeah, I forgot to mention that, but I LOVED this when I saw it. Same goes for the opening "Family Guy" logo. :D

General_Grievous
01-29-2008, 09:59 PM

I think it's got similar Options menus too. Both have Obi-Wan/Herbert shutting down the tractor beam.

JediTricks
01-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I think it's got similar Options menus too. Both have Obi-Wan/Herbert shutting down the tractor beam.
I figured that was the case, but it's been a while since I checked. The scene select screen doesn't seem to follow this though.

immblueversion
02-02-2008, 09:58 PM

There was a preview! Actually, it was more of a teaser, and it's hidden in the Extras menu. It has the Giant Chicken at the end, and he's dressed up as Boba Fett!

immblueversion
02-02-2008, 10:00 PM
That's nice, boy. : pats immblueversion on the head: WHO'S A GOOD BOY? WHO'S A GOOD BOY? You want to play fetch, boy? Go get it, boy! That's a good boy. You get a treat now.
I heard that.

immblueversion
02-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Just so you know, Tom, Diane, Ollie and Joe all appeared on the DVD. The news guys all play themselves, except they're Imperials, and Joe plays Biggs, Luke's buddy with the mustache (except he doesn't take part in the assault on the Death Star because he's in a wheelchair).

By the way, I've always imagined the Evil Monkey as Yoda (even though he already appeared as himself in the background of the cantina) and one of Peter's black relatives as Lando. The Giant Chicken will be Boba Fett. AND A PREQUEL IS NOT A PARODY!!!!!

This just in: LANDO CALRISSIAN WILL BE PLAYED BY OLLIE WILLIAMS ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard Seth Green let this slip in an interview.

DarthQuack
04-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Just as a heads up, just saw that tonight's Family Guy is Blue Harvest at 9 on FOX.

JetsAndHeels
07-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Here (http://acmelimited.com/news/) is a link to the poster of the new Family Guy Star Wars...it is entitled "Something, something, something darkside." :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Holy crap, that looks freakin' sweet! Mort as Lando, that's awesome! :D

Is that Joe on the bottom right as the probe droid? And we still don't know who Yoda is . . .

JetsAndHeels
07-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Is that Joe on the bottom right as the probe droid?

It looks kinda like him, but it is difficult to tell.

Beast
07-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Holy crap, that looks freakin' sweet! Mort as Lando, that's awesome! :D

Is that Joe on the bottom right as the probe droid? And we still don't know who Yoda is . . .
I was wondering who they were gonna cast as Lando. Since Cleveland's already R2.

Mort is both a perfect choice and a hilarious one.

And Joe as the Probot? Brilliant. I'm guessing Meg will end up the Space Slug.

General_Grievous
07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I thought they were going to have Ollie Williams play Lando, but I guess they deemed him too obscure of a character.

Is this scheduled to air in the fall?

DarthQuack
07-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Sweet, looks great!

Beast
07-23-2008, 06:08 PM
I thought they were going to have Ollie Williams play Lando, but I guess they deemed him too obscure of a character.

Is this scheduled to air in the fall?
Plus it sorta would violate his character. Unless Lando only shouted short sentances.

It's supposed to be the season finale. So I think it will be early 2009.

JediTricks
07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Wow, they did a great job adapting that classic ESB japanese poster (they later adapted it to the US version). Joe as the Probe Droid makes some sense if you ignore the Blue Harvest DVD version, and that's where the probe droid goes on the original poster so that's who it is.

Mort as Lando doesn't fit for me, I would have much preferred his son Neil because Neil thinks he's smooth with the ladies, whereas Mort is just friggin' awkward and shy all the time.

Getting the Vader helmet back there with Stewie's version worked perfectly, it's actually even more effective than the original poster I'd say, Stewie's shape really comes alive there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-06-2009, 12:36 AM
According to The Live Feed (http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/03/family-guy-to-parody-return-of-the-jedi.html), the ESB episode won't air until the Fall, but they just did the table read for a ROTJ episode. It will apparently be called The Great Mupper Caper. :D

jonthejedi
03-06-2009, 06:09 AM
I heard that too...sure it'll be worth the wait.

JediTricks
03-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Haw! That is an awesome name and timely reference for the ROTJ ep.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-07-2009, 11:51 PM
I mistyped, in case anyone didn't figure that out . . . it's Muppet, not Mupper, just to be completely clear . . .

JediTricks
03-10-2009, 04:31 PM
I mistyped, in case anyone didn't figure that out . . . it's Muppet, not Mupper, just to be completely clear . . .
Until you posted that correction, I hadn't even noticed the misspell, the word had all the other letters right and I read it with the "t" anyway. :p

2-1B
03-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I noticed it immediately.
Shame on you, JabberJohn. :p

But seriously, that is a GREAT title and immediately reminds me of the creature shop footage from the doc From Star Wars to Jedi. :)

Rocketboy
03-25-2009, 10:47 AM
FG ESB news:
The Official Starwars.com Blog (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2009/03/24/family-guy-empire-spoof-update/) points us over to io9.com (http://io9.com/5182745/family-guys-star-trek-special-spurs-trekkie-debate) where Family Guy Executive Producer, David Goodman, talked about an upcoming episode centered around Star Trek. More importantly to us, the spoof of The Empire Strikes Back came up in the conversation...

"What's the update on Star Wars?

I think, but I'm not 100% positive, that Empire Strikes Back - that episode will air at the end of next season, and may be released before then. That movie was a very different movie from the original Star Wars, so our sequel will be a lot different and have of new characters, and a lot of great jokes that we threw in. We're very happy with how the first one turned out, so we had to set the bar was very high for the sequel... We're a little bit early to start on the third one, but the bar is set that much higher.

But you'll have Ewoks for the third.

There are Ewoks to mock. And when we get to the third one and there may be characters from other shows that show up since we were sort of running out of the original show. So characters from American Dad and maybe the Cleveland Show will show up in the first one." TFN (http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/Tidbits_On_The_Family_Guy_ESB_Spoof_121977.asp)

The END of next season?
Crap.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-25-2009, 11:04 AM
FG ESB news: TFN (http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/Tidbits_On_The_Family_Guy_ESB_Spoof_121977.asp)

The END of next season?
Crap.

Jesus. The END of next season....so, what, spring of 2010?!?!??

Very much lookin' forward to ewok mocking. :thumbsup:

Blue2th
03-25-2009, 11:08 AM
I saw the preview for the Star Trek episode. Guess they got a lot of TNG cast to do voices. Looks like a blast.

DarkArtist
03-26-2009, 02:59 PM
According to The Live Feed (http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/03/family-guy-to-parody-return-of-the-jedi.html), the ESB episode won't air until the Fall, but they just did the table read for a ROTJ episode. It will apparently be called The Great Mupper Caper. :D

oh i can't wait. i actually just watched Blue Harvest the other night and laughed the entire time......such a great episode and can't wait to see what they will come up with for ESB and ROTJ...... i wonder if they will eventually tackle the prequels as well ?

JediTricks
03-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Dang, next season is quite a long ways off, that's a bit longer than it should be, the 18 months is up this June at the latest (since there's table read for it on the BH dvd), so an extra YEAR is a lot of fine tuning. I'm hoping he merely misspoke.

Hadn't heard about Trek FG, that could be awesome. "Mister Worf's head looks like a fanny!" But they're up against very stiff competition, Futurama did the absolute ultimate TOS show already.

Blue2th
03-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Heres the preview for the Star Trek episode:
http://www.fox.com/fod/play.php?sh=familyguy&ep=1238001628897

El Chuxter
03-27-2009, 01:43 PM
I hope they do one of their occasional American Dad crossovers, since Patrick Stewart in animated form looks just like his character on American Dad. That could be amusing.

JediTricks
03-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Heres the preview for the Star Trek episode:
http://www.fox.com/fod/play.php?sh=familyguy&ep=1238001628897
Thank you. That started weak, but man, the material in the second half of that was pretty darn good. I almost wish they hadn't given Stewart jokes, simply because he's already so well-heeled in the animated FG/AD universe. But man, that stuff with Patrick and Brent Spiner and Wil Wheaton in the car was priceless.

Kidhuman
03-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Thats preiew was damn funny. And yes, Stewart is hilarious

JediTricks
04-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Wow, what a huge letdown that episode was! That preview had 90% of the TNG footage, the rest was some pap about Meg & Brian & God & Flash Gordon. It might have been better if they hadn't had the Trek stuff with it, but I couldn't get past the fact that they could have done TONS more with this.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
DVD INFO on ESB FG: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/family-guy-presents.html

and a trailer!

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/5760825

:thumbsup:

Rocketboy
08-24-2009, 02:22 PM
and a trailer!

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/5760825

:thumbsup:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=693848&postcount=19

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=693848&postcount=19

ah, nice. Didn't see it there as it's in the ROTJ thread. lol :crazed:

sith_killer_99
08-24-2009, 06:43 PM
"Come on Luke, join the Dark Side. It's really cool."

I love that line.:laugh:

I can't wait for this to hit stores...Dec. 22.:(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-24-2009, 08:55 PM
"Come on Luke, join the Dark Side. It's really cool."

I love that line.:laugh:

I can't wait for this to hit stores...Dec. 22.:(

I think I read it's supposed to air in late Sept or something? Or maybe Novemberish? I dunno. It needs to air already, dammit!

Rocketboy
08-24-2009, 09:56 PM
ah, nice. Didn't see it there as it's in the ROTJ thread. lol :crazed:I only posted it there because there was so much SSSD talk already.

Maybe someone could merge the threads in one Family Guy Star Wars thread?

jonthejedi
09-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Nice trailer for "Something, Something..." on Wolverine X-Men Origins!

DarkArtist
09-25-2009, 08:24 AM
well the season premiere is this weekend so hopefully soon we will start to see trailers on TV giving us the date for the show.

jonthejedi
09-26-2009, 04:59 AM
...sorry, no air date, just a direct to DVD launch 12/22.

Rocketboy
12-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Since nobody has posted it, the full trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/familyguysomethingsomethingsomethingdarkside/).
Not sure how long it's been out there.

jonthejedi
12-15-2009, 04:25 AM
Been seeing alot of teaser commercials for the DVD on Fox...looks very funny!

Ji'dai
12-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Direct to DVD, eh? Well that kinda sucks. I was hoping to DVR it.

LTBasker
12-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Picked it up today, and it was alright. A few good laughs here and there, but nothing came off nearly as clever as Blue Harvest, and the movie seemed hung up on filling the rest of the movie with perfect scene replications. I can admire the effort as their work looked just as stunning as in Blue Harvest, but most of these scenes' length just doesn't work. It even gets common in the second half of SSS Dark Side that there is a lengthy replicated scene, a quick joke or two, then another lengthy replication.

Sadly, like alot of comedic letdowns, the best jokes were mostly in the trailers. There was also one that felt like it was actually made for the trailers, because when the movie finally got around to it, the joke had already been quietly made twice at that point. The ending was pretty funny, though. Overall, it was decent, but not amazing. It really doesn't feel like a DVD release, it feels more like a trimmed TV version.

I'm hoping the Jedi parody will be better, but they have a table reading of a segment for it in the extras, and it sounds about the same as this one. Mostly because of one joke that carries on way too long, which would be annoying enough in it's animated form but instead it's some guy reading it aloud from the script. I'm quite surprised that nobody in the room with him seemed to have a murderous urge by the end of it. I know I did.

JetsAndHeels
12-23-2009, 01:07 PM
I agree with your assessment, LTBasker. It wasn't terrible, but I enjoyed Blue Harvest more.

One part that made me chuckle was when Luke (Chris) is hanging on the antenna in Bespin:

"Ben...Leia...Tom Selleck..."

Rocketboy
12-23-2009, 04:06 PM
You guys are nuts, SSSD was great!
From the Probe Droid to Wampa to Robot Camels to the Deuce's advice to Han's repsonse to...so much more.

El Chuxter
12-23-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll find out when Amazon ships it... with GIJoe Special Mission Volume 1 sometime mid-2010.

Ji'dai
12-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Saw it Walmart today but I couldn't pull the trigger on it at $20. I meant to check Amazon for it before I went shopping this morning and forgot. I see it's not much better there - like $19.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Saw it Walmart today but I couldn't pull the trigger on it at $20. I meant to check Amazon for it before I went shopping this morning and forgot. I see it's not much better there - like $19.
The Blu-ray is $19.99 at Target, but the DVD should be $12.99. At least, it's that price online and at the store where I saw it yesterday.

bobafrett
12-23-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm waiting to see if it will be under my Christmas tree.

Ji'dai
12-23-2009, 10:58 PM
The Blu-ray is $19.99 at Target, but the DVD should be $12.99. At least, it's that price online and at the store where I saw it yesterday. Yeah, I want the Blu-ray. WM here had the DVD for $15. They had a 2-pack with Blue Harvest too but I can't recall how much it was now.

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Uh, I guess there are light spoilers below...

Bought the blu-ray on Amazon, just got it from my mailbox and watched it. First off, WTF is the point of putting it on blu-ray if they're not going to do it HD? Next season is the first season in HD, this episode is scheduled to air next season, but the blu-ray is 4:3 pillarboxed. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, zero compression, but damn, why did I pay $6 extra? Heck, on Blu-Ray, we don't even get the clever parodies of the ESB dvd menus aside from the opening elements.

And no friggin' deleted scenes? This episode REEKED of better material that was cut for time. They did nothing with Mort as Lando, they cut the Leia kissing Luke thing, the Chicken as Fett went nowhere, there was just a ton that felt cut for time and the extras are without deleted scenes... why???

As for the episode itself, some of it looked really good just like the first one. They Family Guy-fattened up the snowspeeders a little much, and some of the exterior art on Bespin was a tad cheap-looking, but the rest was strong. Writing was nowhere near as clever and funny as Blue Harvest though, way too many cheap laughs, not enough material drawn from anything substantive, and even the few time-waster jokes felt short if you can believe it. Cameos, both in-universe and out, did nothing for me, and even Jon Benjamin's character Carl (from the convenience store) as Yoda should have worked better but didn't get the material. And then there were these odd blank spots where a joke or even a movie line would have worked and yet it went by without anything, little stuff like the "with the rest of the garbage". Oh man, and some of the leaning on profanity felt so forced, I love profanity but a real joke would have been funnier in most of those spots. I enjoyed it still for what it was, but it definitely had more misses than hits. Maybe the material was just too challenging for turning into a 44 minute comedy/parody of 2 different universes.

Anybody else notice the B-wing and E-wing at the end? Nice little in-universe cameos. They also animated the TIE pilot getting blown into space without a joke or any secondary payoff, someone is really enjoying their SW over there. And I did find non-speaking Dog the Bounty Hunter replacing Dengar to be hilarious, especially since they didn't go after a big joke with it, just leaving him in the background - although that scene's actual joke was a bit of a miss.

Direct to DVD, eh? Well that kinda sucks. I was hoping to DVR it.It'll be airing next season.

LTBasker
12-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Hmm... Perhaps a spoiler warning should be tossed up in the thread title?

even Jon Benjamin's character Carl (from the convenience store) as Yoda should have worked better but didn't get the material.

Him as Yoda really threw me off, I had no idea who it was supposed to be, and with my interest already weakened by that point I was actually fighting to stay awake during the Dagobah scenes. I didn't realize who the character was supposed to be until they showed one of the 3-4 episodes with him last night on Adult Swim. Definitely some horrible character casting there, I think they should have just made him Dak.

Aside from the Chicken as Boba Fett, the only new character casting I felt really paid off was the Probe Droid. Although, the Chicken as Boba Fett felt very wasted. Not just because they didn't do anything with him, but also because the "Ha! The giant chicken is Boba Fett!" scene was AFTER we already saw him during the Bounty Hunter get together. So, even if the trailers hadn't already ruined it, I think the line still would have fallen flat due to the previous reveal.

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Spoiler title? Nah, this is a multi-generation thread basically, anybody coming in not knowing that doesn't know what Family Guy or Star Wars is, IMO. :p

H. Jon Benjamin is an underground adult comedy animation legend basically, going all the way back to Dr Katz, then Home Movies, and lots of Adult Swim. It doesn't surprise me that they went to him with Yoda because they love him and because he is Chris' mentor at the store, but if you don't know that (they hint it by the references to movies Yoda makes), I can definitely see where it's a total miss.

The Probe Droid was another one where they definitely could have had more material and just let it die at an idea. Probe Droid scanning the planet could have had lines, and Probe Droid vs Han felt like a must.

sith_killer_99
12-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Well, I picked it up on Blu-Ray with the digital copy.

It was passable, but not as good as Blue Harvest. The Blu-Ray edition was a let down, I suggest sticking with the DVD and saving a couple of bucks.

I have been on a Blu-Ray w/digital copy kick lately. It helps that most of the summer block busters arrived on Blu-Ray with digital copy versions.

So far I have added to my Blu-Ray/digital copy the following movies:

Star Trek:thumbsup:
G.I. Joe:p
District 9:twisted:
Coraline ($10 Black Friday Special):crazed:
Fast and Furious ($10 Black Friday Special):nerv:
Family Guy: Something Something Something Dark Side:alien:
Harry Hotter and The Half Blood Prince:thumbsup:
Public Enemies:tired:
Terminator Salvation:thumbsup:
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans:grin:
X-Men Origins: Wolverine:thumbsup:

I ended up renting "Inglorious B*sterds" and purchasing Public Enemies, wish I had done that the other way around.:upset:

I also got the 9 disc Blu-Ray box set of "X-Men" (trilogy) for Christmas, which comes with the digital copies of all 3 films, so I can add them to my iTunes collection.:D

I admit, I really like having these digital copies, but I need to upgrade the hard drives on my laptop, from 2 100GB drives to 2 500GB drives. :yes: I have them all backed up on my 500GB passport, but I would also like to be able to keep my entire iTunes library on my laptop without having to carry an external drive.

Sorry, wasn't trying to hijack the thread, honest.:p

Ji'dai
12-24-2009, 08:50 PM
It'll be airing next season. Well then, I might wait for it then. Wait, next season as in the spring or next year (2010-2011 season)?

JediTricks
12-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Well then, I might wait for it then. Wait, next season as in the spring or next year (2010-2011 season)?Next season is 2010-2011, I think it's scheduled to air next Fall specifically.

I don't even know what to do with these digital copies. I don't watch movies on my phone or computer, only on my tv. I did buy this blu-ray expecting to use the digital copy to show friends, but didn't think of how I'd actually show it to them. I guess it should go on the big laptop since it has a DVD drive from which to copy the file and a big-enough screen to enjoy. Can you put them on multiple devices?

sith_killer_99
12-25-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't even know what to do with these digital copies. I don't watch movies on my phone or computer, only on my tv. I did buy this blu-ray expecting to use the digital copy to show friends, but didn't think of how I'd actually show it to them. I guess it should go on the big laptop since it has a DVD drive from which to copy the file and a big-enough screen to enjoy. Can you put them on multiple devices?

Simply mail all digital copy discs along with the code to me and I will make sure they get put to good use. ;)

How you use the digital copy is usually up to you. There is an option to create a WMV or iTunes version. The iTunes version opens up your iTunes account and downloads once you enter the code.

With iTunes you can load the movie to your iPod or simply watch on your computer.

For those of us who are familiar with iTunes, you can copy the file and load it onto multiple computers, you just have to authorize that machine to play your copy.

OR

You can get any one of a dozen different programs and make a DRM free version and transfer the file or convert into a different format that will play on pretty much any portable device.:yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-27-2009, 10:49 PM
I got it for Christmas and watched it today. I thought it was hilarious! It's been a while since I saw Blue Harvest, but I thought this was about as good. There was a lot of good blending between the worlds, I felt, with Ozzel being the "Phony!" guy (who I didn't recognize as I don't think he's shown up in the modern animation style). There were some other examples I noted at the time, but I don't remember them right now . . . It was jarring at times to hear them swear so much more than on TV, but it was funny, too. Overall, a very fun, funny piece, and the animation was often stunning (the Super Star Destroyer reveal sequence really stood out).

JediTricks
12-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Simply mail all digital copy discs along with the code to me and I will make sure they get put to good use. ;)

How you use the digital copy is usually up to you. There is an option to create a WMV or iTunes version. The iTunes version opens up your iTunes account and downloads once you enter the code.

With iTunes you can load the movie to your iPod or simply watch on your computer.

For those of us who are familiar with iTunes, you can copy the file and load it onto multiple computers, you just have to authorize that machine to play your copy.

OR

You can get any one of a dozen different programs and make a DRM free version and transfer the file or convert into a different format that will play on pretty much any portable device.:yes:The DRM thing is a bummer, they sell this "digital copy" thing as a feature but it's so limited. I could just rip the damn DVDs to my PC directly, but I don't because it seems messed up. But if I just want this Family Guy I spent $19 on to play on my phone, I have to go through so many hoops.

I blame Apple for fueling the DRM craze, and now ironically they're abandoning it as DRM-free is taking over. I dig my new ipod touch, but I *hate* the itunes program I had to download just to start using it (I ended up putting it in my bigger laptop so it wouldn't screw my main system up :p).

Darth Metalmute
12-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Did anyone watch the Family Guy fact version of the show?
That was pretty funny with the pop-ups.

I like the show, but didn't love it. And I didn't have one of those, "laugh-so-hard-you-black-out" moments. I thought they needed a music moment like when Ben sang "Time of our Lives" to Luke in Blue Harvest. I was waiting for a great line when Leia tells Han that she loves him, but all that came out is forced Profanity. I hated that Stewie Vader played "gay" too hard. I liked Carl as Yoda and the Chicken as Boba Fett, but Yoda didn't get the right script, and Boba Fett wasn't used well.

The funny thing I found out was, any time I thought to myself; "Hey, why didn't they use this?", thinking that they previously did a cut-to scene about that, the scene I was thinking of was from Robot Chicken.

2-1B
12-29-2009, 10:38 PM
I watched the fact pop-up thing, it was pretty good.

Overall I'd say this was a pretty decent DVD...my favorite moments off the top of my head:

Rocky 4 training montage intercut with Chris Gristle's Dagobah training
Misogyny toward Leia from the Hoth Rebel wanting a male commander
The Deuce and his masturbatory reference after attaching Luke's hand
Artoo unable to run properly after his liasion with the Cloud City computer
Carl's / Luke's answer of Kathy Bates as worst nude scene
Juicy Fruit commercial (stupid in the context of a SW parody but brilliant because I remember it fondly from my childhood)
Meg the Space Slug
Han's ad-lib in the carbon freezing chamber (the only use of profanity that I thought really "worked" as a joke)

Least favorite moment:
Luke singing duet with himself in the Dagobah cave, that was really annoying

Overall, much like the TV show, this was at times brilliant but also painfully annoying at other times.

Darth Metalmute
12-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Least favorite moment:
Luke singing duet with himself in the Dagobah cave, that was really annoying.

I would have perferred to see Homers face in the helmet.

2-1B
12-31-2009, 12:07 AM
I would have perferred to see Homers face in the helmet.

Agreed 100% !

LTBasker
12-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Or Cleveland Jr.'s face!

JimJamBonds
01-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Overall, much like the TV show, this was at times brilliant but also painfully annoying at other times.

I agree 100% El Senior Deuce.

JediTricks
01-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Chalk me up as another hater of the Chris under the helmet gag. Yes, I know it's canon-accurate, but the gag that followed flopped and almost anything else would have been better.

InsaneJediGirl
03-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Watched Something,Something for the first time the other day and I really wasn't impressed. It was "okay", Blue Harvest is way better in my opinion. Although Meg the Space Slug was awesome!

I listed to a podcast from TFN and they complained about the cursing and crude humor. I really didnt find it offensive at all, I think they must be old ladies over at that site. I didnt find anything overly crude, the regular episodes are normally worse IMO.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Watched Something,Something for the first time the other day and I really wasn't impressed. It was "okay", Blue Harvest is way better in my opinion. Although Meg the Space Slug was awesome!

I listed to a podcast from TFN and they complained about the cursing and crude humor. I really didnt find it offensive at all, I think they must be old ladies over at that site. I didnt find anything overly crude, the regular episodes are normally worse IMO.
I think it was just odd to hear the f-bomb so loud and clear and frequent, since it's either censored in the actual show or just not there at all.

InsaneJediGirl
03-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Maybe that was it...they were just ragging on everything though.

JediTricks
03-15-2010, 06:41 PM
IMO, swearing can be funny or it can be wasted. Some of it was a waste in this episode, but I don't think anybody watching a Family Guy Star Wars should expect it to be a clean show. It should be appreciated for its color-inducing value, and in this case I think it was lacking.

Rocketboy
06-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Maybe we're getting Family Guy Jedi quicker than we did Empire.

TFN posted this teaser image.

JediTricks
06-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah, they mentioned they were working on this. I don't think we'll see it until the 2011-2012 season though, and to be honest, after the mediocrity of the ESB one, I don't know if I'll bother.

JimJamBonds
06-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Yeah, they mentioned they were working on this. I don't think we'll see it until the 2011-2012 season though, and to be honest, after the mediocrity of the ESB one, I don't know if I'll bother.

If I remember correctly they had started work on Jedi before Empire was even done.

JediTricks
06-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Yes, there was the comment about the title being changed by Fox last year. "The Great Muppet Caper" was the original title that they changed to "I have a very bad feeling about this" because Fox was concerned parents would get mad about trying to order the Jim Henson snorer and getting the foul-mouthed Family Guy cartoon instead. That said, they were working on the ESB ep long before it finally came out.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
The ROTJ spoof (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusive-Family-Guy-1020367.aspx?rss=news&partnerid=spi&profileid=05#rss) comes out on DVD and Blu-ray December 21, similar to last year's release. It looks like Joe will be Jabba, and the bear from the Cleveland Show will be Wicket. Should be fun.

JediTricks
07-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Joe as Jabba? The Bear as Wicket? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! What about Cleveland jr, or that neighbor kid friend of his as Wicket, and the big fat Bear as Jabba? I fear this is going to be even worse than the ESB episode, especially with the rushed timeframe.

I do dig that the poster art has the same wrong saber color for Luke tho'.

El Chuxter
07-13-2010, 04:12 PM
So they're counting on everyone with any taste not recognizing who the characters are?

Even bears cannot save The Cleveland Show from the pit of suck. They might make it suck less, but it's comparing a kick in the junk from a ninja to a kick in the junk by a ballerina.

JediTricks
07-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Basically, they ran out of ideas long ago so they're just winging it now. Mort Goldman as Lando is proof, nothing about him is Lando so they got no jokes out of that in their ESB, yet if they had used Neil Goldman who has already shown to think himself a ladies' man, they would have had gold there.

I honestly wish they hadn't bothered with the ESB or the promise of the other movies, the first one was so brilliant and the rest has come off so pale and lazy and halfassed by comparison.

Mister Roboto
07-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Cleveland got his own show?

El Chuxter
07-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Yes, and, if you have not seen it, you are richer by thirty minutes. O yes.

JediTricks
07-13-2010, 04:19 PM
22 minutes per episode, but it's not all that bad. It's just a cheap reworking of Family Guy with more varied characters and no singing. Still better than the last few years of King of the Hill, or the abomination that is Zombie Simpsons.

El Chuxter
07-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Did it get better?

I ask not to be sarcastic, but the episode I saw (first or second) was godawfully wretched. However, I do know that both Family Guy and American Dad went from borderline unwatchable beginnings to where they are today.

I take that back. American Dad wasn't borderline at all.