PDA

View Full Version : Some praise for Hasbro.

Droid
05-30-2007, 09:50 AM
I have been very angry at Hasbro this year about their secrecy, their skipping figures like Yarna/Cliegg/young Owen time after time, the distribution, and the McQuarrie figures situation. However, I will say now that we pretty much know what this year will bring, I am very pleased with the progress Hasbro is making. I have a personal list of 30 figures I would like to see before the end of the line. This year Hasbro is making seven of them:

Tagge, Hermi Odle, Nightlilly, the LIN droid, CZ-4, Lumat, and Romba.

I think that is very good progress. If the rumors for next year are true and we DID get at least Yarna, Doallyn, the Saurin, and the multi-armed droid from the droid sale, I would be very happy.

Now if we could just get the Lars Family and Tonnikas...

jedibear
05-30-2007, 10:48 AM
After viewing what is upcoming at ClV, I'd say Hasbro is on a roll...

If it's some characters we've never seen done and have been hoping for, watch out for wave five this year...not a clunker in the lot!

Sooner or later I think we'll see most of the characters we want to see....

JON9000
05-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Holy smokes, praise for Hasbro?! I'm all for it.

Droid
05-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm sure if you read my comments on other threads you could say I am a hater, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due. Hasbro is making some really great figures this year.

Droid
05-30-2007, 11:38 AM
Even those that weren't in my Top 30: Han on Torture Rack, Lando in Han's clothes, the Lava Miner, the Rebel Honor Guard, the moisture vaporator, Umpass Stay, Elis Helrot, the Ralph McQuarrie figure ... some of it is really exciting and seems pretty well done.

JEDIpartner
05-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I think they've been doing a pretty good job for years. It's some of their methods of distribution that leave a lot to be desired.

darko666
05-30-2007, 01:57 PM
i'm just pleased to see they are and continue to make Ralph McQuarrie styled figures. also the VOTC figures are a must own IMO.

El Chuxter
05-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Aside from the resculpts mostly being subpar (Ceremonial Luke, Tatooine Luke, Gunner Han, R2 with flames, Obi-Wan with blaster, Death Star Trooper), and the distribution stinking, the figures have been exceptional. On the very rare occasion I'm able to find something new that I want, it makes me quite happy.

JON9000
05-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Aside from the resculpts mostly being subpar (Tatooine Luke).

I have discovered a good use for Tatooine Luke that gives me a reason to get him... his hair blowing makes him an ideal figure to pilot the Landspeeder!

They should re-release the Landspeeder with this figure.

General_Grievous
05-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Well, credit has to be given where credit is due. Hasbro has been doing an amazing job on brand new figures such as the Galactic Marine, Airborne Trooper, Hermi Odle, etc. Plus the Vintage style figures look great, with the exception of Endor Leia. But their resculpts have been slipping, most notably the Ceremonial Luke and the Moisture Vaporator Luke. Aside from that and distribution problems, they're still doing a good job. However, I don't know how they can last until 2018.

DarkArtist
05-30-2007, 06:39 PM
while I'm on the fence with Hasbro, it's a love/ hate relationship, I have to admit that Hasbro is doing alright by me, I just wish they would make the concept figures in greater numbers and not just 1 per case.

as far as the figures so far, 2 thumbs up, can't wait to have a complete set.

Kidhuman
05-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I like alot of the figures coming this year. Sure there are some I would like more than these, but its a start. I have issues with the McQ figs and distribution as well, but we all eventually get what we need from others or eventually at store level. I have pulled off quite a few trades in the past few weeks and have hooked other members up as well. We all work together and help, its a good thing.

Luuuuuuke
05-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I think Hasbro's been doing a good job. BUT not to derail the Hasbro love-train too much... Has anyone who ordered the McQuarrie Luke from HTS using the discount code gotten an email saying Hasbro is not g oing to honor it? forum member didgeboy just reported he got one. Forum members at RS were chattering yesterday about a Jedidefender report that a Hasbro rep said allowing the code to be used for this exclusive was a mistake. Anyway, if this is true, that would temper my praise for Hasbro.

figrin bran
05-30-2007, 10:27 PM
i attended the Hasbro panel at CIV and the guys on the SW team that were there seem like they are truly passionate for the SW line. however, just as we differ on this board over what we'd like to see, i'm sure a lot of the same goes on within Hasbro.

sure there are plenty of things that the Big H could do better but i believe that on the whole, they're doing an excellent job and better than most of the toy lines/manufacturers out there. i'm not sure what other lines all of you collect but at least hasbro puts out more than 3 or 4 waves per year and we always know months in advance what's coming and when. plus they're willing to do Q&A's with all the SW collecting sites. find me another toy manufacturer that does that. maybe mcfarlane answers questions at their own forum but that's not the same.

Tycho
05-31-2007, 12:29 AM
I have discovered a good use for Tatooine Luke that gives me a reason to get him... his hair blowing makes him an ideal figure to pilot the Landspeeder!

No man. Display him with South Park figures as Phil Collins!

Can't you hear it coming in the air tonight? Hold on.

I've been waiting for this moment, all my life. Hold on.

bigbarada
05-31-2007, 12:51 AM
I think Hasbro has been doing a really good job for the most part.

Without any more movies on the horizon, they are taking the line in a direction I am not interested in following (EU); but if it keeps everything alive long enough to finish out the last few figures on my wishlist, then it's all good.

So far, the VTAC Bossk is the greatest Star Wars figure EVER!!! I'm also hoping that Hermie Odle looks as good on the card as he does in the prototype.

Plus, we got the excellent IG-88 and a new SA 4-LOM on the horizon, not to mention NEW EWOKS!!!!! Things are looking pretty good to me right now. :cool:

Now I just hope that 2008 sees new SA versions of Dengar and Zuckuss along with an ESB deco SA Boba Fett.

TheRealDubya
05-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Credit to Hasbro for SURE -- this year is probably the best looking, most accurate set of action figures ever produced (for any line) and so many of the choices are direct responses to fan requests. I think this is my favorite year yet.

Tycho
05-31-2007, 11:50 AM
I have to disagree. The list of figures I am not buying:

1. Vader w. Coin Album
2. Obi-Wan love doll
3. Mace Windu with rigor mortis
4. McQuarrie Stormtrooper
5. Han Solo Smuggler
6. Luke Yavin
7. Biggs Pilot
8. Luke Moisture Vaporator
9. McQuarrie Chewie (I bought him but am not liking him and might return him)

So there's been 21 figures out (if you count Coin Album Vader) and I have turned down 1 less than half of them. The figures above all have their faults. Now the ones I bought (Galactic Marine etc.) are excellent.

Continuing on with figures I do not plan to buy:

10. C-3PO / Salacious (it's nice though)
11. Anakin w. Tattoos
12. Darth Malak
13. Darth Revan
14. Pre-Cyborg Grievous
15. Yoda & Kybuck
16. 4-LOM
17. McQuarrie Snowtrooper (ugh this is awful!)
18. Spirit of Anakin
19. R2 w. Cargo Net
20. Clone Trooper (I'm done with Troops I think)
21. Jango Fett w. Poncho
22. Holo Vader (maybe I'll get this)
23. R2-B1
24. Clone brown deco
25. Clone with Poncho
26. Rebel Vanguard (is this the black Rebel Fleet Trooper? Well, maybe)

So I'm not buying at least 26 out of 59, which is 44% of the figures released on single cards this year.

From the VTAC, I'm not buying:

1. Luke
2. Han
3. Bossk
4. Snowtrooper

I'm not buying any Saga Legends or Galactic Hunt that I'm aware of.

I'm not buying any MARVEL comic 2-packs, and might not buy some of the Comic 2-packs from "Empire," but I'm not sure yet. I probably will NOT.

Now the figures I'm buying I really, really like, so that offsets it. But this is not 2005!

mtriv73
05-31-2007, 01:03 PM
With the exception of distribution and overemphasis on re-releases in the legends line, I think Hasbro is doing great. I've loved all the new figures this year. They're doing great things with paint aps and molds in most cases. The few that are abyssmal like the ceremonial Luke's hair and skin tone and the skin tone on the VTAC Leia are pretty much inexcusable since we know they can do better.

I'm really please with what they're offering for the rest of the year and plan to buy much of it (if I can find it.)

And Tycho, if you don't want that McQuarrie Chewie, I'll buy it from you.

Devo
05-31-2007, 01:32 PM
We have to credit Hasbro for continuing to make blink&miss characters. What other toyline gets figures of '3rd henchman from left in the back row' from a 2 second shot?

Rather annoyingly many of these can't be found on toy shelves because of a glut of Yavin ceremony Luke Skywalkers, and I don't know if Hasbro is entirely, if at all, to blame for that.

My primary complaint which i just go on and on about is ball-joint necks which Hasbro now seems to have a preferance for even though they usually look awful. But I certainly don't complain about a lack of diversity in figure choices.

Kidhuman
05-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Rather annoyingly many of these can't be found on toy shelves because of a glut of Yavin ceremony Luke Skywalkers, and I don't know if Hasbro is entirely, if at all, to blame for that.

I say so, its a horrible sculpt. :D

Devo
05-31-2007, 04:31 PM
I think its fine apart from the head. Crap likeness, crap paintjob and another stupid looking balljoint head. I've no other issues with it. But of all the Lukes to be available in such quantities - ceremony Luke? Not good.

El Chuxter
05-31-2007, 07:16 PM
His joints look horrible. He makes the TAC DST look like the figure of the year.

Tenric78
05-31-2007, 07:58 PM
So there's been 21 figures out (if you count Coin Album Vader) and I have turned down 1 less than half of them.

Think of all the money you are saving though!

Tycho
05-31-2007, 10:05 PM
We have to credit Hasbro for continuing to make blink&miss characters. What other toyline gets figures of '3rd henchman from left in the back row' from a 2 second shot?

My primary complaint which i just go on and on about is ball-joint necks which Hasbro now seems to have a preferance for even though they usually look awful. But I certainly don't complain about a lack of diversity in figure choices.

Why complain? You can purchase Lushros Dofine and Luke Yavin, open them really carefully, switch their heads, then return them to the stores and make Invisible Hand Luke and Yavin Ceremony Lushros. :crazed:

We must learn to take the pegwarmers with a sense of humor.