PDA

View Full Version : How did Star Wars influence your life?

stillakid
05-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Star Wars has affected so many people from many different lands and cultures. How has it affected you?

I went into the movie industry. Who knows, I may have done it anyway, but Star Wars was a definite influence over me in my early years for a lot of reasons.

So, do you just collect toys or has it affected you in other ways? Jobs? Relationships? Philosophy? Something else?

I just seems a fitting question on the 30th for us bizarre crazy people to reflect on what Star Wars has done to us. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say. :)

General_Grievous
05-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Great idea for a thread, stilla.

Star Wars made me two things: a film lover and a collector. Like most people on these forums, my life changed when I first saw Star Wars. It definitely influenced my choices in life. Like you, stilla, I have plans to pursue a career around film. I plan on becoming a film critic (and maybe even more involved in filmmaking), because I love movies. Star Wars greatly triggered that love. Secondly, I'm a collector, and I've got well over ten years worth of Star Wars action figures to prove it. Even more if you count my collection of vintage figures. I just love these films and the universe they take place in so much that I want to own part of it. I think that's the reason people become collectors.

Jargo
05-30-2007, 07:19 PM
can't really say it's had any lasting influence really. i got interested in star wars because of a love of sci-fi and fantasy. but I was just as taken with space 1999 and battlestar gallactica. Disney's the black hole, silent running. maybe some of the design work I've done may have felt an influence with certain lines and patterns. can't say any philosophy has affected me. never had a relationship affected by it. star wars is just a series of movies I like and fit into a long list of other movies I also like.

I don't really see any depth to star wars that could influence me. i collect the toys because I like the costume and vehicle deigns and it's neat to have some miniaturised on a shelf for me to look at. and to a certain extent I buy the stuff because I wanted it as a kid and it amuses me to buy it now.

I've never really felt star wars in my life unles i'm watching movies or reading books related to it or buying or looking at my action figures. or here. life has so much to offer and i'm a pretty individual sort of guy. fairly rogue way of thinking. it would be very unusual for me to be influenced or inspired by any one thing in particular. I just can't narrow my focus down like that.

bobafrett
05-31-2007, 01:09 AM
Since the first moment I saw Star Wars I was hooked. My father had tried to discourage me in my early years, but that might have only pushed me further into my enjoyment of the Star Wars trilogy's. Since seeing a couple of guys dressed up in Stormtrooper armor, I became obsessed with finding out where they got the realistic looking armor they had on. After I was able to get a set of armor for myself, I was able to transform into the much hated Stormtroopers of the 501st legion. I found that I was not alone in my adult love for the films. I also measured other Sci-Fi films against Star Wars ANH. I collect as many of you do, and I get goosebumps everytime I hear any Star Wars related music, or see a commercial, or trailer for the world that Lucas created. Well, I need to get to bed, or maybe not. I just don't seem to get enough sleep.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2007, 08:33 PM
My love of history came directly from SW/Raiders of the LA. Once I realized that there was some of "our world" in that universe, I dug up as much as I could find (I still find new ones to this day). Joseph Campbell, Carlos Castaneda, and other writers/teachers/philosophers came into my libraries and knowledge, too.

Quoting the films goes without saying... actually it goes WITH saying, saying lots and lots of obscure and notable phrases.

I have thousands of less money than I could've had due to collecting the toys, the cards, the music, the miscellany over the years. No regrets on that! (except a $35 POTF2 orange card Lando :D ).

I was hooked on classical music, and was able to appreciate it, because of John Williams' scores. I could visualize scenes and emotions.

Luuuuuuke
05-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Star Wars has made me waste a lot of money on action figures. That's how it has affected my life the most.

darthvyn
06-01-2007, 11:03 PM
i think one theme or philosophy that i've subconsciously carried with me throughout my life was "you must unlearn what you have learned". it's served me well in certain problem-solving situations where you need to completely deconstruct your preconceived notions and look at something from a fresh perspective.

it's something that only came to my conscious during my time teaching 11-12 y/o children html and css - they had absolutely no preconceived notions and therefore were much quicker to adapt and use the new information. they didn't need to know WHY "<a href="">" is a link, they just accepted it. they didn't need to know HOW web browsers understood that language, they just accepted it.

this state of mind is something that i try to access when something isn't working and i obviously need to look at it from a different angle.

Tycho
06-02-2007, 04:04 AM
I am prejudiced against green people. I think it's OK to shoot them first.

Furthermore, if someone steals YOUR set of plans to the Death Star, choke them and then break their neck!

However, think creatively. Organize plausible, interesting stories that you can visualize in multiple forms of media. I think that's important to me to do myself as a writer. Star Wars shaped my preference for how passion, tragedy, and the ultimate use of force should be used in story telling (both visually and on the written page -which if well written should translate visually if at the very least in the readers' imagination. Furthermore, music should be applied to drama in this way. Finally, with so much imaginative diversity, I think one should open their eyes and hearts to concepts beyond dogmatic religion that says if there is a God who walked on the earth, he must have been a man. If you truly think and embrace the diversity in Star Wars, you can be fine with there never being a Christ, or one coming before man as an iguana. Quit narrow-minded thinking!

Next, the diversity is really well expressed in another form of art: the action figures and all the memorobilia crap that we collect. It feeds our hunter-gatherer instincts and is also an outlet for our imagination's most violent impulses - imagining war to satisfy ourselves rather than waging it. That is, the hallways at Virginia Tech might have looked rather like the Rebel Blockade Runner's, but it's best to leave that to action figure battle packs and not recreate the real thing.

But I like to escalate things like in Star Wars as well. We have proton torpedoes. Oh yeah? Well we have a Death Star! Well the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force!

The focus of my personal writing is largely centered on immorality. In recent history, the self-proclaimed Moral Majority came about. I want to use Death Star-like escalation in my work to promote the Immoral Minority. I jokingly use the name, as if you account for actual attitudes and hypocrisy, the ammoral are probably the majority (depending upon how you define morality). But I write that way, thinking "what is worse than rape?" and arrive at "forced incest" as my answer. That there is "Imperial escalation." I learned that from Star Wars.

JimJamBonds
06-02-2007, 10:56 AM
My imaginary girlfriend is named Padme and we will have two children together: Luke and Leia. Padme however will not survive the berthing process.

stillakid
06-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Padme however will not survive the berthing process.

I suppose not. People don't last long when docked at the marina.

JimJamBonds
06-02-2007, 03:06 PM
I suppose not. People don't last long when docked at the marina.

Thus her death.

mabudonicus
06-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Agreed with the "good thread idea" sentiments, Stilla :D

Seriously, SW affected me in a huge, complicated way, ESB particularly

I was an "early bloomer" and was pretty confused by much of what I was being told about various things in light of how they didn't seem to actually be part of reality.... religion would be one of the more important parts- I was kicked out of a few places as a kid for asking questions.

The scene with Luke meeting Yoda on Dagobah basically broke my head WIDE open somehows. Among other things- "Don't judge a book by its cover" was made FULLY real for me, probably making the full impact right at the "you will be hehe.... you WILL be" part (hell, it gives me goosebumps just typing that line)

It taught me that everything is shades of grey, and that like in "the tree", very often situations are comprised largely of what YOU bring to them. Know yourself and you have nothing to fear from others.

"Wars not make one great" ALSO key. So much of what I saw about war was kind of like "well, it's ugly, but it makes you a REAL man"
Here was supposedly perhaps the most powerful being in the universe laughing about how "kicking butt" was literally laughable.

And finally the whole "god" thing.. I knew a lot about Greek mythology but always considered it to be the fantasy it seemed to be. I had been to christian churches and honestly felt that the people there telling me "ultimate reality" were idiots and had PROVEN it by (at like 5 years old) asking questions they could not answer and making them flustered. Living in a tiny town up north there was not much but christain churches and if you didn't "belong" you likely had no moral compass and were bad news.

"Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter"- was alls I needed to hear to make what I had felt all along become "real". To this day, I pretty much believe in the Force to the exclusion of all other metaphysical business

So in an odd way, Star Wars literally made me what I am today. I was no longer afraid, I basically KNEW for absolute CERTAIN that I was right and most of "them" were in fact "wrong". From then on, I was able to judge criticisms bsaed on wher ethey came from and not just the content. I was able to, as vynsunt said, be "actively uncertain" about things I kind of gthought I had figured out.

Where evidence didn't match my take on a situation, I was able to understand that what I "knew" might very well be wrong, and to feel power from it, not shame or deficiency

So (sorry for the stupidly self indulgent essay BTW) I do have to say that the influence that the film played is likely immeasurable :beard:

bigbarada
06-03-2007, 01:33 AM
I can't say that Star Wars has really had an effect on any of my life's philosophies or beliefs. However, it did act as a springboard for my imagination since I owned a few Star Wars action figures for years before seeing any of the movies. So I spent my time creating my own storylines for the characters.

I remember for the longest time the only figure I owned was Bossk... and I absolutely HATED him. I hated him so much I was actually kind of traumatized by the whole experience of owning him. He was ugly, he had no shoes, and the color of his hands and feet didn't even match his head. To make matters worse, my brother's only figure was Boba Fett. So as I watched my brother play with his Boba Fett figure, I got to sit there and wonder why Bossk couldn't have a rocketpack too and just what did I do to deserve getting stuck with such a hideous action figure? But I did learn something from that experience: I learned to be content with what I had and not to be jealous of others just because they had something a little nicer. So owning Bossk was a major step forward in maturity for me. (this probably has something to do with why Bossk is one of my all-time favorite Star Wars characters)

In fact, most of the figures from the vintage line were great lessons for me in learning how to be happy with what little I had and not to worry about what I didn't have. But I think that was something that I would have eventually learned from growing up in a poor family anyway.

By the time I actually saw any of the movies, I was pretty familiar with the storyline, from reading the novels and storybooks, and couldn't help but be a little disappointed by the actual films. I guess the movies that I created in my mind were far greater than what 70s and 80s technology was able to produce onscreen.

Plus, I never really held too much of an attachment to the actors in the roles. For me, Mark Hamill wasn't really Luke Skywalker and Harrison Ford wasn't really Han Solo. They were just the actors portraying those characters. Similar to how George C. Scott wasn't really General Patton, he was just the actor who portrayed the real life WW2 commander. Which probably explains why I don't get too disappointed when an action figure doesn't really resemble the actor....

So, in short, the toys had a much greater impact on my life than the actual films and I've always been much more interested in the characters themselves than the storylines surrounding them or the actors portraying those characters. Which most likely opened the door for me getting into more character-driven fiction like superhero comics and roleplaying games.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-03-2007, 11:05 AM
People don't last long when docked at the marina.Subtle humor, thy name is spellcheck. :p

I also have come to realize that there should be depth to stories; surface ideas and images are okay, but you need to have something more intense and worthy. Star Wars had that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Prequel bashing is out there, and some of those points are valid, but SW is what started it all, and it had the symbolism, the current societal connections, the draw to fairy tales and myths, the wonder of what might-be/could-be. I have been able to share that with literally hundreds of people throughout my lifetime, in conversations both in print, in person, and in cyber-unreality. Wow. To quote Vader: "he's as clumsy, as he-" wait, wrong one; it's: "impressive, most impressive." Yeah. Or: "we would be honored if you would join us." :thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 04:18 AM
SW opened my young mind to the grand ideas of adventure, of taking action but also sacrificing when necessary (Luke in DS2), of camaraderie, of the importance of even the little guy (3PO), of accepting that life sometimes happens and you may just have to roll with the punches or suffer a horrible fate at the hands of the Empire. It also made me a firm believer in the Force, I really have spent many an hour trying to levitate objects even when I know I can't move them, and I rarely don't take the time to wave my hand at automatic doors. :p

boshar kussc
06-04-2007, 01:00 PM
I really have spent many an hour trying to levitate objects even when I know I can't move them, and I rarely don't take the time to wave my hand at automatic doors. :p

OMG, I do that too!

Starwars really influenced me a lot, specially when someone makes me mad, I really wish I could shoot lightning at them!

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I dunno why but I always think if I just try hard enough, the Force will be my ally. I'll keep you guys updated on that. :p

I think about lightsabers a lot, slicing open walls, hacking cars in half, etc., I suppose that's another way.

Tycho
06-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Dude: use the Force to lift girls' skirts up. I swear it's much quicker, easier, seductive.

Anyway, it helps you focus and dedicate yourself, giving yourself to the Force.

2-1B
06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I registered at SSG.

Qui-Long Gone
06-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm in my 30s and I still dream of places a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

Sometimes we (I) take this forum too seriously and loose the wonder over seeing cities in the clouds....

Long live SW and SW fans!

JimJamBonds
06-06-2007, 12:53 AM
I registered at SSG.

Caesar told me about SSG.

decadentdave
06-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Condemned me to spend the rest of my life with no chance if getting a date ever again. lol

Qui-Long Gone
06-06-2007, 08:11 AM
This morning I picked up some Wave 3 figures at Wal-Mart and without thinking did my usual dorky wave my hand in front of the opening sliding doors gag....I've been doing that since I was a kid and now I do it without thinking....:lipsrsealed: