PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow's Panel at Celebration IV

JediTricks
05-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Steve was shooting the panel while I took all these notes live, but because this was an even faster-paced panel more dependent on its slides than Hasbro, I decided to not post it live. It took me DAYS to put the darn thing together because of that choice, instead of posting live I took more detailed notes and you can see it makes a bit of a difference. :p

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=37&p2_articleid=873

One of the things I didn't mention in the article is that I ended up sitting next to Sideshow's photographer who was there shooting the whole convention, she was really cool, and only she and a couple folks sitting behind me will ever know just how horrific my note-taking really is. ;)

Anyway, hope this gives you guys who couldn't make it a little feeling of being there. :cool:

Darth Cruel
06-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks JT! There was some great info in that write-up! A highly demanded core character soon, a 2-pack from the prequels (which needs it's own thread now), magnets to hold Asajj's lightsabers together (and I work with magnets, so I know that magnets that are small enough to fit in to the lightsaber hilt ends, but strong enough to hold those lightsabers together while posing Asajj in poses that will make her hands put strain on that lightsaber hilt, do exist), and the promise of some army-building next year make for a belly full of news to be excited about!

plasticfetish
06-04-2007, 01:33 AM
Anyway, hope this gives you guys who couldn't make it a little feeling of being there. :cool:I do feel like I was sitting right behind you. Amazing!

...oh wait. ;)

Nice JT! That really sums it up.

I love hearing these guys talk about how it's all done, and it always gives me just that much more of an appreciation for what they do. Just the same though, knowing how dedicated to building a quality product they are, I tend to find myself all the more annoyed when the final product isn't perfect.

They spend so much time designing these things, and then it's all dumped into the hands of some factory worker in China where it's kind of watered down and left to chance.

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks JT! There was some great info in that write-up! A highly demanded core character soon, a 2-pack from the prequels (which needs it's own thread now), magnets to hold Asajj's lightsabers together (and I work with magnets, so I know that magnets that are small enough to fit in to the lightsaber hilt ends, but strong enough to hold those lightsabers together while posing Asajj in poses that will make her hands put strain on that lightsaber hilt, do exist), and the promise of some army-building next year make for a belly full of news to be excited about!Sure thing, glad you dug the write-up! :cool:

I'm a sucker for magnets, so that put me into 7th heaven. The 2-pack could be anything, I hope it's something cool, a friend of mine is drooling over the hope of it being a Nute/Rune 2pack - that seemed kinda out there to me but you never know.

The army builder thing I am going to wait for before getting too excited, I'm pretty fickle about non-armored figures. ;)

I do feel like I was sitting right behind you. Amazing!

...oh wait. ;)Yeah, that was real smooth buddy, we're holding you 2 these primo front row seats and you end up sitting behind us, good one. :D

Nice JT! That really sums it up.That's good to hear from someone who was there. :thumbsup: I suppose you sitting behind us you probably have an idea of the crazy notes I was taking.

I love hearing these guys talk about how it's all done, and it always gives me just that much more of an appreciation for what they do. Just the same though, knowing how dedicated to building a quality product they are, I tend to find myself all the more annoyed when the final product isn't perfect.That's also good to hear too, I was thinking about all that behind-the-scenes getting tossed out of the article because I really don't know what everybody else is interested in reading about on these.

I wish someone had asked them about that, do they feel that pang as much as we do or is it out of their hands and out of their minds?

They spend so much time designing these things, and then it's all dumped into the hands of some factory worker in China where it's kind of watered down and left to chance.That's how it is for Hasbro too it turns out, it's all about picking the right factory and staying on top of it. And it's so competitive over there, back when 21st Century Toys was going strong with their 12" military line, Dragon came up on their heels and started doing better quality, then 21st started slipping in their own quality and it may have been due to industrial sabotage! OVER TOYS! It makes me wonder if they'd have better luck with European or even Mexican manufacturing.

Battle Droid
06-05-2007, 11:52 AM
I hope the prequel 2 pack is Nute & Rune also. :D

plasticfetish
06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
It makes me wonder if they'd have better luck with European or even Mexican manufacturing.I've been curious about that also, because I know how it applies to the garment industry. You do get a better product in that case from Mexico, and it's easier to make trips down to check on production, and it's cheaper/quicker to transport the product north by rail (truck, etc.) But I'm not sure how this would apply to say Hasbro, who distributes toys internationally.

I wonder if for a company with lower production numbers like Sideshow, if keeping production closer to home wouldn't be a better idea. It costs more money to produce things in Mexico vs. China, but it has its benefits.

...I'm sure they (as all companies do) have run through the various options though. Be an interesting Interview topic. ;)

AmanaMatt
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the info on the Q&A...lets hope 2008 is a better year for them - 2007 has been DEAD for me.....

JediTricks
06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
I've been curious about that also, because I know how it applies to the garment industry. You do get a better product in that case from Mexico, and it's easier to make trips down to check on production, and it's cheaper/quicker to transport the product north by rail (truck, etc.) But I'm not sure how this would apply to say Hasbro, who distributes toys internationally.

I wonder if for a company with lower production numbers like Sideshow, if keeping production closer to home wouldn't be a better idea. It costs more money to produce things in Mexico vs. China, but it has its benefits.

...I'm sure they (as all companies do) have run through the various options though. Be an interesting Interview topic. ;)You make an interesting point, Mexican manufacturing that's not bottom-of-the-barrel poor does cost more than Chinese, but there are a ton of benefits that can outweigh the higher costs, especially for lower production runs. Also, something that's only come out recently in the tooling trade, China making all those molds and dies ("tooling" encompasses both) has left the country running extremely low on iron and steel, to the point where they have to weld the manhole covers shut in most cities because factories will steal them and melt them down to make molds. Mexico is very close to the US and can easily and cheaply buy American steel plus South American steel.

Thanks for the info on the Q&A...lets hope 2008 is a better year for them - 2007 has been DEAD for me.....Yeah, no kidding, tomorrow is the first priority preorder I can think of in ages that I'm interested in! And I can't remember the last figure I got in the mail.

AmanaMatt
06-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Yeah, no kidding, tomorrow is the first priority preorder I can think of in ages that I'm interested in! And I can't remember the last figure I got in the mail.

Had I known Jabba would have replaced Sideshow making 1:6 figures for the first half of this year, I may have had them wait....when I was at Celebration IV, a rep I spoke to told me that they are trying to let everyone 'catch their breath' money-wise, and that they may have put too many out too fast.

I agreed with him.

I passed on Yavin Luke - not impressed.
Due to space, I am passing on most new trilogy and EU stuff.

This is the first priority preorder I am looking forward to since Boussh Leia.

I am actually annoyed with them for not doing more classic characters this year....though we have time, something tells me not to hold out hope for ANH Han, and ANH Luke - a 1:6 Tusken Raider would go a long way with me right now....

...in the 30th Anniversary year, I want classic characters, damn it!!!!

(whew - needed to get that off my chest)

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 02:11 AM
Boushh has been too much of a wait, it keeps getting pushed back, I think that's what's been stalling the line for me, it should have carried momentum through Spring but getting pushed back again so it was in Fall means there's a big hole where it should be shipping.

Their pacing was a disaster in the second half of last year, 4 figures right on top of each other for just SW, so it seems like swinging the opposite way is just as big a mistake.

AmanaMatt
06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Once we get Boussh, maybe I will feel the Force again with Sideshow...right now, it feels like a bunch of halfed arsed medichlorians running around!