PDA

View Full Version : Why all the hate for Ceremonial Luke?

bigbarada
06-01-2007, 01:35 PM
I've been reading various posts claiming that the new Ceremonial Luke figure is just about the worst Star Wars figure ever made. :confused:

Personally, I like the figure and think it is better than the VTSC Luke X-Wing, who seems too squat with a pin head.

I'll admit that this new Luke isn't the greatest Mark Hamill likeness, but I think it definitely "feels" like Luke Skywalker. Although, I'm not a huge stickler for perfect actor likenesses. To me it's kind of pointless to complain about it in this scale.

Anyways, regardless of everyone's complaints, this is one of my favorite Luke Skywalker figures. I'm just wondering if I'm on the only one who likes it.

Jargo
06-01-2007, 01:57 PM
the sculpt seems unfinished. like it was grabbed off the sculptor prior to being polished up. the head is vile. not only is it not Luke but with the joint cutting off his throat and lower jaw it's butt ugly. the over all design is ok. nice to hve a celebration Luke that isn't leaning over for the boys. but unless there's another head gonna fit that figure I have no love for it.

El Chuxter
06-01-2007, 02:05 PM
I've seen him twice, and passed on him both times. The colors are slightly off, the head sculpt is laughable, and the ball joints for human necks never look good.

Hasbro's paint has been hit and miss over the past two years, rivalling McFarlane Toys at their all-time worst in the late '90s. The problem seems to be especially bad with Luke figures, for some strange reason. Both the ones I've seen had misplaced eyes (and eyes that didn't match each other), hands that look like they were painted by a blind kindergartener, and an inexplicable black spot on the medal (inconsistent between the ones I've seen) that makes it look like he has a foil-wrapped chocolate coin on a necklace.

Also, this Luke suffers the most from poorly considered ball joints. This type of joint can look nice, if done well. But this figure didn't need them, first of all, and it looks like they were added as an afterthought.

Sorry, in my book, he's majorly inferior to the POTF2 version by a long shot. He's even worse than the Leia Collection version. Raise the price two dollars, I expect better figures than what I got a decade ago, not worse.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the worst of all time. But if you consider the figures in light of what Hasbro is capable of at any given time, he'd lose that race easily. (Monkey Face Leia may suck, but every other 1995 figure sucked, too, just not as much. Luke's going up against Galactic Marines and Airborne Troopers and other figures of that quality.)

Jaff
06-01-2007, 02:30 PM
I actually like the fig very much. I'm with you BigBarada, he's a real nice fig, one of my favorite Lukes as well. Once everyone sees the new Tatooine Luke everyone will love the Ceremonial Luke.

Rogue II
06-01-2007, 03:36 PM
The figure's skin is way too pale. I did a little head swap with the VOTC X-Wing Luke and the TAC Ceremonial Luke and he looks a lot better. To bad about the rest.

JEDIpartner
06-01-2007, 03:45 PM
I re-coloured the hair and it looks a lot better.

Snowtrooper
06-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Overall, I think this is a good figure. Its the likeness that keeps this from becoming a great figure. As was pointed out, the hair color is off and the skin color is too pale. Mine also seems to have real beedy eyes as if they were completely dialated. A decent paint job on the head probably would have helped immensely.

Having the correct pistol and lightsaber hilt would have been nice too, but that is not a big deal to me.

In spite of these problems, I still really like this figure. At least it looks way better than the upcoming Tatooine Luke.

Devo
06-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Funny, for all the complaining I do about balljointed necks (happy to see others in this thread agree on that point), I don't see any problem with the rest of the jointing on this figure. It all looks fine to me. So I like the figure apart from the head and everything about same.

General_Grievous
06-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Well, for one thing, his skin is paler than an albino's. It also looks like someone took a dump on his head. The body isn't bad, though.

DarthBrandon
06-01-2007, 05:57 PM
the sculpt seems unfinished. like it was grabbed off the sculptor prior to being polished up. the head is vile. not only is it not Luke but with the joint cutting off his throat and lower jaw it's butt ugly. the over all design is ok. nice to hve a celebration Luke that isn't leaning over for the boys. but unless there's another head gonna fit that figure I have no love for it.

I bought this figure because it has an awesome sculpt, the head was the only problem & I solved this by swapping it out with the comic pack Luke/Stormtrooper Outfit. It's ten times better than the one Hasbro stuck on him.

DarkArtist
06-01-2007, 09:23 PM
the figure is alright, not the greatest of Luke's but decent.

jedibear
06-01-2007, 09:55 PM
the head is the only thing that looks bad...the outfit and articulation are good though. I'll have to try that head-swap thing folks are talking about and see how that plays,,,

...and he's marginally better than the latest "Tatooine" Luke in wave 3...now THAT's a bad looking figure....thank the maker for that Vaporator...

El Chuxter
06-01-2007, 10:00 PM
I saw that once (so far), and the vaporator looks like crap. Definitely not worth paying $7 for, to get stuck with a POS Luke.

bigbarada
06-01-2007, 11:23 PM
I must have gotten one with a decent paint job on the face, it doesn't look that bad at all. The hair is painted a little strangely, but I can live with it.

I really don't mind the skin tone at all and can't see why everyone is so up in arms about it. To me it looks more natural, whereas the VTSC Luke X-Wing looks like he just stepped off a tanning bed.

I realized a long time ago that I enjoy this hobby much more if I don't expect every figure to be perfect. And at only $7 apiece, I think we are getting some amazing quality.

Oh yah, Chux, the hands aren't painted they are molded in skin colored plastic and the medal on my figure doesn't have a black spot.

Tycho
06-02-2007, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't buy this Luke, and haven't. It's starting to collect in my Target.

JediPartnr: it's nice that you can repaint him, but wouldn't the point be made to Hasbro that you shouldn't have to? He'd be ready to feel like he was worth the purchase straight out of the package? See, to me, repainting a figure is for a customizing job. What you did was take a Luke figure and make a Luke figure out of it (because Hasbro didn't adequately do that).

As to Luke Tatooine with Moisture Vaporator? I swear he looks like Phil Collins. "I can feel it calling in the air tonight. Hold on." Put him with some South Park figures and Timmaee! Timmaee! Aaaaggh!

The little South Park guys can stage dive off the moisture vaporator. I'd love to see Uncle Owen's face if he came home and saw that!

Bosskman
06-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Head swap eh?.....

DarthBrandon
06-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Head swap eh?.....

Yeah it works great we should try it with Mabs sometime.:D

JON9000
06-02-2007, 09:35 AM
which ANH Luke figure has the best likeness? I always thought it was POTJ Pilot Luke... but everybody derided his as bucktoothed.

DarthBrandon
06-02-2007, 10:14 AM
which ANH Luke figure has the best likeness? I always thought it was POTJ Pilot Luke... but everybody derided his as bucktoothed.

I used the comic pack Stormtrooper Luke head.

mabudonicus
06-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't know about head swaps... head shops on the other hand..... :D
:beard: Iso & Baws
DarthBrandon wants a proper 3 3/4" scale Millenium Falcon so bad he can taste it

jjreason
06-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm looking at him right now. Like this whole wave (well, the human figures anyhow) the color of skin is really, really pale. Only on Biggs (for some reason) does it even look alive, let alone proper. The hair color is also terrible.... but I still give the figure a higher rating than either of the older POTF2 Lukes. The head swapping is a good idea for this figure.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-02-2007, 11:57 AM
I think that the only problem with this figure is the coconut head. Other than that, it is much better than the previous two version.

DarthBrandon
06-02-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't know about head swaps... head shops on the other hand..... :D
:beard: Iso & Baws
DarthBrandon wants a proper 3 3/4" scale Millenium Falcon so bad he can taste it

That & a Dam AT-TE done right Hasbro, holds at least ten inside like the AT-AT, two in the cockpit & at least one gunner slot in the back if you lift up a panel. Please get this right & please double the Falcon's size or I'll be forced to really swap out Mabs head.:D

Mad Slanted Powers
06-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Please get this right & please double the Falcon's size or I'll be forced to really swap out Mabs head.:DYou could pay a couple thousand ($2199 actually) and get the Master Replicas version. Based on the dimensions on their site (32" x 24" x 6"), it is about 50% larger.

DarthBrandon
06-02-2007, 02:58 PM
You could pay a couple thousand ($2199 actually) and get the Master Replicas version. Based on the dimensions on their site (32" x 24" x 6"), it is about 50% larger.

Yeah, I'd rather have a toy than a display item that I'd be afraid to touch. There is also another company that made the half (1/4 size) size falcon that you can purchase figures made out of metal (Attakus I believe for $3199) to go with it. Again this is made as a display piece & has no real play ability, but it's cool as hell. I just want the falcon re-done to be twice the size it is, so figures can move throughout the vehicle. If I can't get this I'll purchase the TRU falcon down the road & customize it the way I want it.

TheDarthVader
06-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Yes, the head is a little "eh", but it is not horrible. Overall, I like this figure. He is a huge improvement over the potf2 version.

bigbarada
06-03-2007, 03:07 PM
I think that the only problem with this figure is the coconut head. Other than that, it is much better than the previous two version.

What do you mean by "coconut head?" Mark Hamill had a big ol' noggin, so it's actually more accurate compared to most of the recent Luke Skywalker figures. I think this one and the OTC Dagobah Luke are the only figures to really come close to getting Luke's head proportionally correct.

Honestly, reading all of these complaints about the figure and looking at the actual figure in my hand and it's starting to seem like we are talking about two completely different toys. I still think he's awesome. He does have some shortcomings (as do all action figures), but it's nothing I can't overlook. Maybe I just got a good version, which is nice considering it's the only 30th Anniversary figure outside of Wave 1 I've ever seen in the store.:upset:

Mad Slanted Powers
06-03-2007, 03:47 PM
What do you mean by "coconut head?"

The hair is darker than it should be, and the skin is pale. The way the paint is applied, the skin against the hair looks like the white layer on the inside of a coconut. Perhaps the ball jointed head contributes to this. In the back, the hair is not connected to the neck, yet there is still a layer of the pale flesh tone painted on the inside of it.

The likeness and the hairstyle are all right. The paint application just makes it look weird.

bigbarada
06-03-2007, 08:35 PM
The hair is darker than it should be, and the skin is pale. The way the paint is applied, the skin against the hair looks like the white layer on the inside of a coconut. Perhaps the ball jointed head contributes to this. In the back, the hair is not connected to the neck, yet there is still a layer of the pale flesh tone painted on the inside of it.

The likeness and the hairstyle are all right. The paint application just makes it look weird.

Got it. I thought you were talking about the size of the head. I did notice the ring of unpainted hair just on the inside of his head, and it doesn't really bother me.

Tenric78
06-03-2007, 10:12 PM
I think some people are more picky when it comes to their figures. I'm not really all up on complaining about paint aps unless they are REALLY bad.

Gothiczartan
06-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I've been reading various posts claiming that the new Ceremonial Luke figure is just about the worst Star Wars figure ever made. :confused:

Personally, I like the figure and think it is better than the VTSC Luke X-Wing, who seems too squat with a pin head.

I'll admit that this new Luke isn't the greatest Mark Hamill likeness, but I think it definitely "feels" like Luke Skywalker. Although, I'm not a huge stickler for perfect actor likenesses. To me it's kind of pointless to complain about it in this scale.

Anyways, regardless of everyone's complaints, this is one of my favorite Luke Skywalker figures. I'm just wondering if I'm on the only one who likes it.

this figure was not too bad.

it's just the hilt they gave him.

Old Fossil
06-04-2007, 06:53 AM
I used the head from the VOTC farmboy Luke, and it works great. Looks much better on the new Ceremony Luke than it did on the figure it came with originally.

Gothiczartan
06-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I used the head from the VOTC farmboy Luke, and it works great. Looks much better on the new Ceremony Luke than it did on the figure it came with originally.

have you try add the biggs academy head on the luke x wing pilot VTSC to make biggs x wing to look like he is SA?

Old Fossil
06-04-2007, 09:26 PM
have you try add the biggs academy head on the luke x wing pilot VTSC to make biggs x wing to look like he is SA?

I hadn't thought of that. I just tried it... the problem is that the neck peg for Luke is too big for Biggs's head. Just won't fit. (Luke's head sits loosely on the academy Biggs neck, and looks odd.)

That was a cool idea, though. Gets me to thinking of other possibilities...