PDA

View Full Version : SHADOW troopers

Jargo
06-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Ok so there's the shadow stormtrooper, shadow royal guard and now there's gonna be a shadow scout trooper and speeder bike.

Am I alone in thinking that it's particularly dumb to have any shadow anything on the side of the imperials? ok so officers wear black and there's black uniforms for some pilots and troopers but the grunts wear white so they're visible. an imposing sight like gun toting skeletons. scary. why would imperials need to hide away and be all incognito and navy seal like? just doesn't sit with everything we've known about the imperials since year dot.

not that i think they're crappy looking mind. i actually quite like them as figures go. sooner have the shadow troopers than ten billion clowntroopers in a rainbow of colours. I particularly like the black speeder bike. shame something cool like that had to be a damn SDCC exclusive.

just wondering what you guys think of the shadow sub theme and what else (besides clowntroopers) you'd want to see in shadow styleeeeeeee.

El Chuxter
06-01-2007, 03:08 PM
The thing that bugs me is that "Shadow" only referred to a specific group of Stormtroopers from one comic. Had they done any minor research, they would have seen immediately that black Scouts are called Storm Commandos.

I don't mind EU, but get the names right.

Not sure of the story on the black Royal Guard, but we've seen some wearing black highlights before.

Jargo
06-01-2007, 03:20 PM
oh the black royal guard is the one from the force unleashed. should have been more specific there.

I guss i could cope with black uniform AT-AT drivers and AT-ST drivers. Black snowtroopers although they'd have to be renamed as hostile environment stealth troopers or something. HEST troopers.

Black or really dark grey versions of Imperial vehicles are ok with me too. like a proper dark grey not a blue grey or a brown grey. a true grey.

JEDIpartner
06-01-2007, 04:46 PM
I want them to make an official Hasbro "Head Man" figure. :pleased:

LTBasker
06-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Black snowtroopers although they'd have to be renamed as hostile environment stealth troopers or something. HEST troopers.

I dunno, I think the Snowtroopers already have the stealthiest armor possible for their usual enviroment, unless they're going to combat in yellow snow. :eek:

I don't mind the idea of "Shadow" troopers, but I think it's pointless to have them as exclusives. I think they're better suited for battle pack ideas, it's bad enough when repaints are exclusives in the first place, but when the entire figure is basically just coated in a single primary color? And it's $12-15? It's just pointless to me.

And the "Shadow" Scout Trooper would be better if the speederbike wasn't the POTF2 sculpt. They could've just used the sculpt from the AOTC deluxe Clone, it's not like they have movie accuracy to worry about. Also, yet again they appear to have failed to give a clear display stand to the speederbike. That just seems incredibly lazy for a comic-con exclusive.

Kidhuman
06-01-2007, 06:12 PM
I particularly like the black speeder bike. shame something cool like that had to be a damn target exclusive.

I thought it was an SDCC exclusive.

Jargo
06-01-2007, 07:33 PM
what? :evil:

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Ok so there's the shadow stormtrooper, shadow royal guard and now there's gonna be a shadow scout trooper and speeder bike.

Am I alone in thinking that it's particularly dumb to have any shadow anything on the side of the imperials? ok so officers wear black and there's black uniforms for some pilots and troopers but the grunts wear white so they're visible. an imposing sight like gun toting skeletons. scary. why would imperials need to hide away and be all incognito and navy seal like? just doesn't sit with everything we've known about the imperials since year dot.

not that i think they're crappy looking mind. i actually quite like them as figures go. sooner have the shadow troopers than ten billion clowntroopers in a rainbow of colours. I particularly like the black speeder bike. shame something cool like that had to be a damn SDCC exclusive.Yeah, I'm totally with you on that, I've always felt this way about the concept, it flies in the face of the Empire's entire military philosophy.

The thing that bugs me is that "Shadow" only referred to a specific group of Stormtroopers from one comic. Had they done any minor research, they would have seen immediately that black Scouts are called Storm Commandos.

I don't mind EU, but get the names right.First off, "Storm Commando" is a really stupid name, totally inelegant and just beneath Star Wars.

Secondly, while they share the same helmet design, the images I've seen of the Storm Commando have totally different armor, unique and closer in design to Clone Trooper armor. http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/stormcommandos/index.html

Thirdly, the Storm Commando's role is vastly different from the Scout Trooper's.

oh the black royal guard is the one from the force unleashed. should have been more specific there.Yeah, I was wondering about that, I forgot all about the FU figure.

I guss i could cope with black uniform AT-AT drivers and AT-ST drivers. We have black uniform AT-AT drivers, they're called TIE pilots. :p

And the "Shadow" Scout Trooper would be better if the speederbike wasn't the POTF2 sculpt. They could've just used the sculpt from the AOTC deluxe Clone, it's not like they have movie accuracy to worry about. Also, yet again they appear to have failed to give a clear display stand to the speederbike. That just seems incredibly lazy for a comic-con exclusive.Yeah, I have to concur on all points there, especially using the old Speederbike mold yet again, this thing is tired. When they used it in the AT-ST pack, it was falling apart. And as for the differences from the AOTC Saga version to the ROTJ version, the only one I can think of is the Saga Deluxe bike doesn't have the folded up poncho on the back.

Jargo
06-04-2007, 09:16 AM
We have black uniform AT-AT drivers, they're called TIE pilots. :p

yes mr. smartypants except the costumes are different in a few respects. boots, lack of belt on AT-AT driver, shoulder armour on the AT-AT driver, the hoses connecting the helmet to the chest control box attach in different places on the helmets, and the TIE pilot doesn't have the leg straps. but aside from that identical..... :thumbsup:

TheDarthVader
06-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I agree with you mr daddypants. This "shadow" thing is getting out of hand. Soon, we are going to get a shadow boba fett. Yep, an all black mandalorian armored suit. They could sell like 1,000,000 of those! :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
06-04-2007, 12:52 PM
JT, since when has accuracy been a hallmark of Hasbro's repainting figures to get new ones? :)

Hopefully we'll get a Shadow Han Solo soon. The classic POTJ sculpt in solid black!

boshar kussc
06-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Hopefully we'll get a Shadow Han Solo soon. The classic POTJ sculpt in solid black!

Taht would be soooooooo cool!!! It would be like a ninja Han Solo!

El Chuxter
06-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Shhh. You're going to give them ideas.

CaptainSolo1138
06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Hopefully we'll get a Shadow Han Solo soon. The classic POTJ sculpt in solid black!I'd buy three and then complain about the lack of ankle articulation.

Jargo
06-04-2007, 03:44 PM
No TheDarthVader. i'm saying I like the shadow subtheme. I just don't think it's very Imperial in nature. there is no stealth with Imperials. they just stomp along and wade in no questions asked.

as toys go though the black and grey looks cool. especially after so many white with rainbow splashes clowntroopers.

I can't see hasbro doing too much of it all though. as so far there's just three figures well spaced with plenty of other stuff being released between times.

It's a sub theme I could happily collect. I like the black clad stormtrooper and biker scout and i like the look of the force unleashed shadow [royal] guard. I'd actually like a black and grey AT-ST to go with the black speeder bike. to go with Vaders sith starfighter AT-RT's would go well with this too. Even the AT-AT.

I know I'm normally the first to condemn such shuffling side themes and EU but somehow this has caught my eye and I genuinely like it. I suppose it reminds me of when I was a small kid and would paint all my toys black and silver. I was EMO before anyone else in the whole entire world ever ever EVER!

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 11:13 PM
yes mr. smartypants except the costumes are different in a few respects. boots, lack of belt on AT-AT driver, shoulder armour on the AT-AT driver, the hoses connecting the helmet to the chest control box attach in different places on the helmets, and the TIE pilot doesn't have the leg straps. but aside from that identical..... :thumbsup:Search your feelings, you know they're the same thing, just slightly different junk. I could not abide Hasbro doing a shadow AT-AT driver when they still think the X-wing pilot body is suitable for friggin' Snowspeeder pilots!

JT, since when has accuracy been a hallmark of Hasbro's repainting figures to get new ones? :)Hey, that Kashyyyk Elite Corps Trooper has diagonal paint marks on the helmet mouth, that's the sign of care baby, care! Granted, that paint is simulating the fact that the part of the mouth in question doesn't exist at all... :p Yeah, they suck.