PDA

View Full Version : TAC wave 3

Jaff
06-01-2007, 03:08 PM
I just got the Wave 3 figs and I have to be honest that this wave is the least exciting for me out of the TAC series because most of the figs are just rehashes, however their were a few surprises.

#16 Darth Vader - Lets face it, if we buy Darth, the only reason we're buying him is for the cloak and lightsaber at his feet. That's the only reason I bought it. However to my surprise he has a removable helmet, and it is the face of Hayden from the Anniversary Tin. And to think, I was going to buy that tin just for that variation.

#17 Biggs - I like his getup, and it's nice to have a deleted scene figure, but the fig would be much cooler if his deleted scene was at least on the DVD. The fig is nothing special, mainly due to the fact that his articulation is very limited, especially in the legs.

#18 Luke Skywalker - The Luke fig is about the biggest dud in the TAC line to date. The fig just doesn't look like him, and it is not that impressive period. However the moisture vaporator is the prize, and if Hasbro was wise they would just release new fixtures and diorama material with old figs and they would be able to rehash figs more efficently. I fell for it. Now my Luke fig will go in a box while the vaporator will be dominantly seen on my shelves.

#19 Jawa and LIN - The Lin is awesome. The detail even beneath the dome is a surprise, as is the movable arm. However be careful when you are putting in the droids antenna because they bend very easy. There are bend marks on mine already. The Jawa looks nice but is not a winner for a few reasons. The first is that the Jawa comes with a Han Solo blaster, that's right I didn't make a miss-type. Another thing that just doesn't add up is the arms of the Jawa which are quite big. The hands are huge, making the fig look a little dis-proportionate.

#20 Stormtrooper - A vintage stormie with a Jango head from the anniversary TIN. We've seen this before, but it makes a good army builder.

#21 Concept Chewie - This fig is nice, very nice, if your into concepts. It's very tall, and with unique weapons. I would say that besides the LIN it is the prize out of this wave. Maybe I'm just saying that becuase it's the only new fig in the wave besides Biggs and the LIN, but concepts are growing on me.

Now I just need to wait for Wave 4. Here comes Elis!

pbarnard
06-01-2007, 03:46 PM
#19 Jawa and LIN - ...The first is that the Jawa comes with a Han Solo blaster, that's right I didn't make a miss-type. Another thing that just doesn't add up is the arms of the Jawa which are quite big. The hands are huge, making the fig look a little dis-proportionate.

Maybe this is in reference to the Tales from Mos Isley Cantina and the particular trilogy of tales that involve a Jawa, Ranat and Stormtrooper.

El Chuxter
06-01-2007, 04:15 PM
But isn't that an Imperial blaster? And wasn't that Jawa not ever on the Lars homestead?

General_Grievous
06-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the reviews, Jaff. It seems the only ones I'm going to pick up are Biggs and the Jawa. I'm still on the fence about Vader.

Kidhuman
06-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the reviews, Jaff. It seems the only ones I'm going to pick up are Biggs and the Jawa. I'm still on the fence about Vader.

That about sums it up for me. I will get a stormie or two in there also as they are always good buys.

jedibear
06-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I managed to snag 'em all but the only one I could get an opener of is the Vader. it takes a little work, but the "cloak-stand" is really cool and the cape (with the right arm pose(s) actually looks pretty good. And they finally dumped that dumb oversized silver thread they were using for the cape-chain.

Is it too soon for another Vader in the line? Maybe...but this one, while generally a re-hash, at least has a little effort to it that makes it pretty cool.

figrin bran
06-01-2007, 11:55 PM
i want all of them except for Vader. the luke i'll use for customs and hopefully i can find an extra concept Chewie for the same.

AmanaMatt
06-02-2007, 02:57 AM
I actually had to double check the gun on the Jawa...it does look Han like, but its different - I am ok with it, since, well, they are scavengers after all! :) I like the Jawa very much, but I am a sucker for them. The Stormie is very cool....we get a VOTC like Stormie with a good removable helmet....Vader is ok, but I love the base. Luke's head is rough, but it is an impressive carded set...and heavy. Concept Chewie is tall...taller than the VOTC one...I will get an extra luke and slap the comic two pack head on him - that was a decent repaint, IMO.

Droid
06-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Your lineup of McQuarrie figures looks really cool, which makes me EVEN MORE ANGRY at the way they have handled the line!

AmanaMatt
06-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Your lineup of McQuarrie figures looks really cool, which makes me EVEN MORE ANGRY at the way they have handled the line!

I have been very lucky with this line - I got lucky and found Stormies once, Fett once, now Chewie once.....many people in more populated areas are not so lucky, so I feel bad for the fans' that are having a real hard time in finding these...

Mad Slanted Powers
06-03-2007, 12:12 PM
I found Vader and the Stormtrooper yesterday. I bought the Vader mainly because of the cloak base and the fact that I plan on buying every figure in the main line this year. He's a pretty good Vader from what I can tell.

The Stormtrooper seemed a bit wobbly in his torso articulation. The helmet seemed a little loose as well. Still, it's nice to get another Stormtrooper. With all the various clone releases, I have quite a clone army, but am lagging behind on Stormtroopers. I'll probably get a couple more of these.

plasticfetish
06-03-2007, 11:46 PM
I only want the Jawa/LIN and McChewie at this point, but I did buy and open Vader the other day, and like it a lot. (It's a good Vader... I could have lived without it, but I like it.)

JediTricks
06-04-2007, 06:20 PM
I actually had to double check the gun on the Jawa...it does look Han like, but its different - I am ok with it, since, well, they are scavengers after all! :) I like the Jawa very much, but I am a sucker for them. The Stormie is very cool....we get a VOTC like Stormie with a good removable helmet....Vader is ok, but I love the base. Luke's head is rough, but it is an impressive carded set...and heavy. Concept Chewie is tall...taller than the VOTC one...I will get an extra luke and slap the comic two pack head on him - that was a decent repaint, IMO.
DUDE! Chewie is HUUUUGE! That's awesome! Thanks for the pic. Seeing all the figs together, very bland coloring, I kinda weird.

Old Fossil
06-05-2007, 10:12 AM
The Stormtrooper seemed a bit wobbly in his torso articulation. The helmet seemed a little loose as well. Still, it's nice to get another Stormtrooper. With all the various clone releases, I have quite a clone army, but am lagging behind on Stormtroopers. I'll probably get a couple more of these.

You're right about the wobbliness... I got three of these over the weekend, and I have to say that I like the VOTC Stormtrooper better. The TAC ones are not as "sturdy," if you will, in the torso. And the helmet IS loose. Seems a bit too big. Also, the paint app on the helmet is not as neatly done as on the VOTC version.

All in all, the new Stormtrooper cannot stand at attention as smartly as the VOTC one. It's almost as if the TAC Stormie just woke up and threw on his armor.

Qui-Long Gone
06-06-2007, 08:18 AM
I got my Storms early this morning and the wobbly helmet is a let-down....I like the clone helmets better because they are tight....so tight you sometimes pull the head off with it...but two Storms flanking this new Vader is good for my collection....

**I wish the Vader was OT since he's standing on Obi's robe...but I'll take sans helmet Vader anytime...

Kidhuman
06-06-2007, 09:18 PM
So far I have gotten Biggs and Concept Chewie from this wave.

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 01:18 AM
#20 Stormtrooper - A vintage stormie with a Jango head from the anniversary TIN. We've seen this before, but it makes a good army builder.That's not correct, from what I can tell. The Tin trooper has a head without a stocking around it, this new version has a stocking around his head like the TSC Death Star Gunner (but this is not that head either).

I'm reusing my earlier post from today since it fits here:

I spotted all of this wave yesterday at Target minus the Concept Chewie. I bought 1 of each plus a second Stormtrooper. All the coins are surprisingly badly done even considering the first 2 waves' coins.

I was very surprised that Biggs isn't just a recycle of the Wave 2 Biggs head, I had assumed that the only reason Pilot Biggs existed was so they could use the head twice on an existing body and double up sales, but nope! New Biggs' head isn't quite as good as the previous version, and the body is new but not exciting, but it's still cool to have this Biggs.

Vader is a bit of a let-down, essentially the underwhelming and not very ANH version from the Tin set, his freakin' helmet comes off constantly and one silver dot is painted more than the other on all the ones I saw. The Obi-Wan robe base is kinda nifty, but adding a shallow footpeg hinders the look and doesn't work in Vader's foot.

Luke is just dreadful, I see what they were getting at but the face sculpt is weak and the paint goes a long way to ruination. The body has the new right arm but is otherwise the Early Bird Kit body (I don't have that one) which is lacking in the leg articulation department and the elbow articulation is too bulky. Body paint is decent. Including the Ep 2 Anakin saber hilt stinks, they freakin' have this exact hilt accessory from POTJ Ben, the on saber being Ep 3 Anakin is mostly forgivable (the center band is different, no big deal) but he should have had his binoculars. NONE of that matters though once the moisture vaporator is put together, that thing is huge and nifty! They gave it an unusual paint job, I'm not sure about it, but it isn't a major issue either way. Getting it out of the package was super challenging as it's partly assembled through the tray and stuff. I'll only buy 1 of this because the figure is that ugly, I would have bought 2 for the moisture vaporator if he hadn't sucked so bad.

Jawa w/ LIN Droid is a thumbs up, though not generously. The tan vest on the Jawa is uncool, and the head not being lightpiped is hard to get used to. The jawa's head is ball-jointed, but I don't see how that can be used to any effect. Jawa has a pistol that is a different modification of the broomhandle mauser pistol, it looks like Han's but without the scope and with a coil on the back, it's pretty nice and fits in the Jawa's left belt holster, it may be authentic but it's still weird to see it in a jawa's hands. He's also got a droid caller in his left hand, simple but with some sculpted details and a tiny amount of silver paint, very easy to lose, it fits in the holster on the right of his belt. Arms are super-articulated. LIN Droid is quite cool, translucent & removable dome, painted & sculpted details within, removable hinged arm doesn't drag on ground but does snap in through the dome, plus 2 antennae and a light thing.

Stormtrooper isn't as good as I hoped. The body is the VOTC with better - but not top-notch - color-matching, also the torso is modified for the head and leaves an angle issue at the mid-torso assembly. Still has problematic left hand and overly-close legs. Torso is modified to accommodate the smaller ball-jointed head underneath the helmet, may be from the Tin trooper or something which would explain the angle problem at the mid-torso. New head is more Jango with a scar over 1 eye, wearing a "stocking" around the head similar to the TSC Death Star Gunner figure, it wouldn't bother me so much if the helmet weren't slightly warped by the head and weren't constantly coming off. I bought 2, and at $7 a pop that'll be it for me.

AmanaMatt
06-07-2007, 01:45 AM
I agree with your mini reviews, Jt - with the exception of the Jawa (the head is weird - almost like they were going to do the 'light up' eyes again, but ditched it last minute)

Vader - I got him for the base alone - the cardback has a pic which shows very ANH painted helmet (the eyes) but the final version doesn't have it - why they didn't just pack the Evolutions version, is beyond me (that is my fav Vader fig ever)

Luke - I got him (too) for the base alone - quite frankly, this fig is FUGLY

Jawa - no complaints here

McChewie - I should not love this one, but I do - very good SA

Biggs - no complaints at all - very happy to have this one. I do not have an issue with the lack of knee articulation

Stormtrooper - I dig this one a lot - is it better than VOTC? Only in the sense of better plastic/color matching. My VOTC looks terrible now - the legs look pinkish. The helmet on my fig fits just fine - a bit of slop on the helmet, though. I wish the paintjob on the clone head was as good as the Vintage Stormtrooper one, but I have no real issues with it. I am glad they have the head wearing the black 'head stocking' which was used in the actual movie. The Votc always bugged given Hasbro did not paint the neck black, and you can see a very exposed joint.

If anyone wants a very good VOTC Stormtrooper re-release - get the 501st exclusive version - basically the VOTC one with much, much better plastic/color matching of the arms, legs and torso.

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Oh, I didn't realize I was unclear about the Jawa head, I don't actually like how they did it that much, the paint is wonky on every one I've seen.

I don't like how they slopped up the Stormie helmet, but the only thing that I think separates it from the VOTC paint design is that the VOTC has MORE apps including that nifty silver which they replaced here with black. And again, here too, the Tantive IV BP version is superior.

figrin bran
06-07-2007, 02:25 AM
That's not correct, from what I can tell. The Tin trooper has a head without a stocking around it, this new version has a stocking around his head like the TSC Death Star Gunner (but this is not that head either).

I'm reusing my earlier post from today since it fits here:

I spotted all of this wave yesterday at Target minus the Concept Chewie. I bought 1 of each plus a second Stormtrooper. All the coins are surprisingly badly done even considering the first 2 waves' coins.

by badly done, do you mean "too many scratches" or "not a good mold"? didn't Mr. DePriest mention at the panel that they're working on making the coins a bit more durable?

Biggs is the only figure i have from this wave (passed on Vader, didn't see any of the others) and at least to me, this version looks a bit like Jeff Foxworthy.

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 06:20 PM
I mean they're poorly sculpted designs.

Yeah, Derryl said that they're working to get the coins from coming out all abused, and any SERIOUSLY abused coins will be replaced right now.

Luuuuuuke
06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
The McChewie is a freak, but wonderfully so. He is just so immense.

As of yesterday, I've seen them all, though I've only seen two Jawas. Got one today. It looks fine and I liked the LIN droid. But I'm happy with one.

The stormtrooper is a let down. Glad to have one, but as soon as I got it and opened it my urge to get another one dissapeared. It's a little wobbly as others say but that's not my main issue with it. It's just no better than the VOTC one and the helmet is ill fitting and the face looks corpse-like.

I had planned to pose this one holding his helmet. But after seeing the face, I have no desire to do that. So it's essentially no different than a Vintage stormie.