PDA

View Full Version : Jawa & LIN Droid (with pictures)

Engineernerd
06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Hey all,

Managed to score most of the new wave of Star Wars figs this weekend. Thought I would treat you all with some pics and words on the Jawa & LIN Droid. LIN is the black bubble next to R5-D4 in Episode 4. I always thought it was a piece of scenery instead of droid, oh well.

Check it out here:
TVFT Reviews (http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/reviews/jawa_lin.asp)

Enjoy,
Engineernerd
(Anybody have a preference on which one I take pics of next? Excluding Chewie. I'm not going to open him.)

Droid
06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the post!

I am disgusted that the dome is see through. I do not believe that is in the movies, and like the pipe smoker with the tentacles, I think the play feature might really take away from the figure. I'll have to see it in person.

Engineernerd
06-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the post!

I am disgusted that the dome is see through. I do not believe that is in the movies, and like the pipe smoker with the tentacles, I think the play feature might really take away from the figure. I'll have to see it in person.

Droid,

If you are waiting to see it in person, perpare to be underwhelmed. You know how you hear "pictures don't do it justice"? Well, in this case, I actually think it looks better in the pictures than in person. I thought so with the card pics and my pics as well. Pictures seem to bring out some little speckles that look like texture. I'm really considering spraying the dome black and weathering it. When the dome is off, it look like a gumball machine bubble.

Engineernerd

AmanaMatt
06-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I like you review with pics - pretty cool - keep them coming!

mark2d2
06-05-2007, 03:18 AM
Nice review. You guys are all out to lunch though on the dome. It IS very accurate. It is hard to see in the film, but on the old TV Special, THE MAKING OF STAR WARS there is some behind the scenes footage of this droid and it is very clear that his dome is smoky and transparant.

UPDATE: Okay, watching the scene with the figure beside me, i noticed that at TIMECODE 00:16:34 --- sixteen minutes, thirty-four seconds --- there is indeed a very clear shot demonstrating dome tranparency. LIN-V8K is rolling into position, framed with a Jawa on both sides, and two Vaporator's in the background. . . You can not only see through the smokey dome, but also that gears and such are whirling away inside it.

Anyway, I think he's great. Beyond amazing. But then I do love droids and the sandcrawler is my favorite scene. . .

Droid
06-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I have come to a point where I don't care what the prop looked like; I want what I have been thinking in my head for thirty years. Han's coat may have actually been brown, but it looks blue to me. I think of that dome as opaque.

Engineernerd
06-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I have come to a point where I don't care what the prop looked like; I want what I have been thinking in my head for thirty years. Han's coat may have actually been brown, but it looks blue to me. I think of that dome as opaque.

That's why mentioned Han's coat in my review. I feel the same way, Droid. I guess the hard part is for Hasbro to know what our perception of things is compared to the acutal props. The only way to make us happy is give all of access to the Lucasfilm archieves...:pleased:

Droid
06-05-2007, 03:18 PM
That's why mentioned Han's coat in my review. I feel the same way, Droid. I guess the hard part is for Hasbro to know what our perception of things is compared to the acutal props. The only way to make us happy is give all of access to the Lucasfilm archieves...:pleased:

Chalk it up to unintentional plagiarism. I thought that was my idea, but I guess I got it from your review.

Really great review, by the way.

JediTricks
06-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I made a post about this a few months ago:
The LIN droid is not opaque, you can see lights moving inside it in the movie footage, you can even see a hint of that in that still photo MSP just linked to (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:LIN.jpg). You can see the lights even better in the photo of the LIN on this page: http://index.echostation.com/trilogy/droidauction.htm

Just because a few folks misperceive something doesn't mean that's how it should be done. Otherwise we'd have Stormtroopers that were robots instead of guys in armor - I'm still shocked by how many kids from the '70s thought the Stormies were robots. :crazed:

Engineernerd
06-05-2007, 06:45 PM
You know it's lilke the deleted Biggs Scene. Most of folks that were around when Episode 4 was new, had to keep those memories alive through storybooks, books and records, the novels and comics. I think that has a lot to do with perceptions. Consider 25 years ago you couldn't watch a DVD twenty times to see every little detail. I can't remember the first time I owned an actual copy on VHS, but I'm guessing it was the late 80's. The folks from that era (mine) "recall" things that may or may not have been reality. I'd guess with the advent of the internet & DVD's, this won't be an issue with the last three films or say LOTR.

Besides, it gives us "old timers" great conversations with younger fans. "Back in my day sonny, Greedo shot first and Han wore a blue coat on Hoth."

PS Thanks for posting those links, Jedi Tricks.

JON9000
06-05-2007, 07:18 PM
I made a post about this a few months ago:

Just because a few folks misperceive something doesn't mean that's how it should be done. Otherwise we'd have Stormtroopers that were robots instead of guys in armor - I'm still shocked by how many kids from the '70s thought the Stormies were robots. :crazed:

Yep, it is indeed translucent. Although, with the bright exterior it is tough to spot. I never knew this until I saw the movie on DVD!

And I am totally stoked you can take the dome off!

So, the figure is a bit of a compromise. I can live with that as I honestly never expected to see it, and it is part of a two-pack, which I love. I can always use another Jawa!!

Droid
06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
I bought the droid and am underwhelmed. I still think it is too small, but I am glad to have it.

Is the Jawa wearing the commando jacket Yoda wore in the Clone Wars EU figure from a few years back?

Engineernerd
06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I looked up the CW Yoda. His over thingee has a more finished look to it. It's actually got a couple of angles at the bottom of the front to make it distinctive.

I warned you on the underwhelmed part. I had the LIN in my hand when I let the dogs out last night. The sparkles showed up better outside than in. (Well with the right angle on the sun, time of day,etc...) I still think it looks better in pictures than in person.

pbarnard
07-04-2007, 11:37 AM
The Jawa: Great new sculpt. The jacket/vest is different from any other release to date. Nice little droid caller and holder on the right side of the belt. One problem I had when opening and removing the figure was the droid caller bolted immediately, so just be careful when opening. The blaster is sort of an odd thing. You definitely see the German Mauser influence, with little done to conceal its earthy origins. The blaster definitely makes him more Hett Nkik from Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina. He'll be a good addition to putting into my full sized cantina.

LIN Droid: This is the reason to get yet another Jawa for the half dozen or so you already have. Sculpting is immaculate. Lifting the lid gives a whole new level of detail. The only thing that is confusing until you look at the picture is where to put the three little inserts. From front to back it goes round thing, antenna, antenna; it's simple to figure out the claw. You must have the dome one first before inserting the implements to get the onscreen look. You obviously don't need to have the dome on and have a variety of at least 48 droids possible. The only draw back is the scale of the droid at least to the Jawas and other droids. It should be at least 2-3 times wider. Beyond that, this is a great figure.

On a real grading scale, accounting for everyone's grade inflation and the true definition of C being average, this is an B for the Jawa, and an A- for the LIN droid.

JediTricks
07-05-2007, 11:19 PM
The reason is because the Jawa is holding the German Mauser with that spring detail on the back, a lot of the production photos have that prop in them for some reason no matter the character, there's a pic of Leia holding it too, here's a Jawa holding one (pardon the page resize in this link): http://www.starwars.com/meta/rd/expand/expand.html?world=episode-iv&img=/episode-iv/explore/visualguides/img/chp07/1_bg.jpg&width=undefined&height=undefined&import=undefined&caption=Studio%20photography%20of%20a%20pair%20of% 20Jawas.%20The%20ionization%20pistol%20is%20a%20sm aller%20hand-held%20version%20compared%20to%20the%20larger%20ri fle%20seen%20fired%20in%20the%20film.
(source: http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/explore/visualguides/chp07.html )