PDA

View Full Version : Interesting occurence at Wal-Mart today.

bigbarada
06-05-2007, 09:13 PM
I was eavesdropping in the toy aisle today while trying to figure out how it's possible that they can have nothing but empty pegs after two full weeks, and I overheard a kid with his grandmother. She wanted to buy him a new Star Wars toy and he obviously already had a lot of stuff because the only piece he was looking at was the Quinlan Vos/Villie Comic 2-Pack.

After looking at it for a bit and trying to figure it out, he decided that he didn't want it and put it back on the shelf. He told his grandmother that they weren't "real" characters and were from something else, not Star Wars.

So, now I'm kind of wondering what will kids be thinking when the EU wave comes out and they can't find any of those characters on their Star Wars DVDs? (with the exception of the Clone Wars cartoon stuff)

With Hasbro going with more EU based characters, will this scene replay itself all over the country, resulting in pegs clogged with EU figures that won't sell?

Kidhuman
06-05-2007, 09:45 PM
That is a good question. Of course, Vos was in EP1 in Mos Espa but for .5 seconds.(they named him after the fact) With all the EU stuff coming out, they might be able to pull off because the video game supports some characters as well as the name Grievous.

figrin bran
06-05-2007, 09:51 PM
i believe the character in Mos Espa provided the inspiration and look for Quinlan but is actually someone else.

Wave 5 of TAC which has the most EU offerings is probably going to sell very well as most of the figures are only 1 per case. even if kids don't get them, collectors will.

Rocketboy
06-05-2007, 10:24 PM
I was eavesdropping in the toy aisle today while trying to figure out how it's possible that they can have nothing but empty pegs after two full weeks, and I overheard a kid with his grandmother. She wanted to buy him a new Star Wars toy and he obviously already had a lot of stuff because the only piece he was looking at was the Quinlan Vos/Villie Comic 2-Pack.

After looking at it for a bit and trying to figure it out, he decided that he didn't want it and put it back on the shelf. He told his grandmother that they weren't "real" characters and were from something else, not Star Wars.That is great news.
This kid is awesome.
:thumbsup:

sith_killer_99
06-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Is this any surprise?

The POTF2 Expanded Universe figures didn't sell that well either. I bought half of them at a discounted price from a gas station back in 2000. It's one of the reasons Hasbro has been reluctant in the past to make EU figures.

Phantom-like Menace
06-05-2007, 10:57 PM
That's quite a coincidence. I overheard a kid saying how much he needed all those super important characters he'd seen during hours of pausing and squinting to see if they were characters or something on the film (they were characters). He especially talked about how much he wanted that integral fat chick with all the boobies.

darko666
06-05-2007, 11:09 PM
well, at least i know i'll have a better chance at getting the figures. but then soon realize, how annoying it is to see them all over the place while awaiting the next wave.

AmanaMatt
06-05-2007, 11:11 PM
EU = hardcore only. Kids want movie characters.....

JetsAndHeels
06-05-2007, 11:13 PM
I also encountered an interesting occurence today at my WM....

They stocked something.

El Chuxter
06-05-2007, 11:37 PM
I bet the kid would have no issue with the Obi-Wan/Alpha pack. Just a guess.

Hasbro could possibly hype the inclusion of the comic book more. I know it's plainly visible, but a bright sticker that points out the obvious might bring home the fact that there's a comic included. (Of course, they could commission new stand-alone stories that involve the characters, which would be more accessible to kids.)

BTW, figgy, that background character is supposed to be Quinlan. At some point, he comments (I think to Obi-Wan) that he saw Qui-Gon on Tatooine, but was deep undercover. (This means that Ki-Adi-Mundi, Quinlan, and Qui-Gon all had adventures on Tatooine within a few months. So much for it being a backwater!)

Luuuuuuke
06-05-2007, 11:55 PM
I bet the kid would have no issue with the Obi-Wan/Alpha pack. Just a guess.

EU or not, that's an Obi Wan and a clone trooper. A kid's not likely to care whether a clone trooper is 100% like one that appeared in the movie. The other pack on the other hand has characters that would be totally alien, no pun intended, unless he is familiar with EU.

Like the kid, I passed on the Vos/Villie pack. Not cause it's EU per se.

decadentdave
06-05-2007, 11:55 PM
That is great news.
This kid is awesome.
:thumbsup:

Indeed there is some hope for the next generation after all. :thumbsup:

Phantom-like Menace
06-06-2007, 01:02 AM
So did you leave out the part where the kid was nice enough to take one of those Lushros Dofines off our hands since that guy was in the movie, or did he tell his grandmother he already had one?

figrin bran
06-06-2007, 01:31 AM
So did you leave out the part where the kid was nice enough to take one of those Lushros Dofines off our hands since that guy was in the movie, or did he tell his grandmother he already had one?

exactly...Rieekan, Jerjerrod, Ewok Deity C3PO were all in the films yet i don't see kids buying those.

Phantom-like Menace
06-06-2007, 05:08 AM
exactly...Rieekan, Jerjerrod, Ewok Deity C3PO were all in the films yet i don't see kids buying those.

They're allowed to pegwarm, because they're from the movie. When EU figures pegwarm, it kills kittens.

CaptainSolo1138
06-06-2007, 07:08 AM
They're allowed to pegwarm, because they're from the movie. When EU figures pegwarm, it kills kittens.Holy carp, PlM! That's the funniest thing I've read so far today! Thanks :thumbsup:

At some point, he comments (I think to Obi-Wan) that he saw Qui-Gon on Tatooine, but was deep undercover.
A) How does a Jedi go "deep undercover" when they can supposedly be sensed via the force anyway?
B) How deep undercover was he that people were able to pick him out of a two second background shot because of his white nose stripe thing?! That's like Manute Bol putting on a trench coat and calling himself a nameless spy.

2-1B
06-06-2007, 10:04 AM
I've never been a fan of kittens...to hell with 'em.

JEDIpartner
06-06-2007, 10:27 AM
He especially talked about how much he wanted that integral fat chick with all the boobies.

I was laughing so hard, there was pee all over the place!!! :D

sith_killer_99
06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
When EU figures pegwarm, it kills kittens.

Kittens become kitty cats, kitty cats become cats, cats are EVIL!

Hell spawns I say, all cats are evil little hell spawns!

May Hasbro overproduce EU figures for years to come! Let them pegwarm, if one kitten dies because of it, then I say it's worth it!:twisted::yes:

2-1B
06-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Thank you, exactly !

Jargo
06-06-2007, 01:21 PM
so where exactly is Vos in Mos Espa? any particular location? I want to find him now.

CaptainSolo1138
06-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Here's a link (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/placed/sweu_quinlan_06.jpg) to the screen cap of all his exciting on-screen adventures.

Lord Malakite
06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Is this any surprise?

The POTF2 Expanded Universe figures didn't sell that well either. I bought half of them at a discounted price from a gas station back in 2000. It's one of the reasons Hasbro has been reluctant in the past to make EU figures.

To be fair though, they didn't sell well because of the glut of unwanted movie based figures at the time (Malakili, I'm looking at you), not because they were Expanded Universe. Hardly anyone carried that particular case shipment. And of the few who did most didn't even bother to put them out until they decided to clearance all the SW figures (both the movie based glut on the shelves and the EU still sitting in storage at the back of the store).

With the exception of the three concept drawing based vehicles with figures I never saw any of that line on shelves and I was a fairly active searcher back then. The only reason I have all the EU carded figures today is because JBF was lucky enough to find 5 of them on clearance at KB (when they were bringing out the unopened backstock to replace the "finally sold" movie figures) and because the SW Fan Club had briefly sold the 4 figures I was still missing packaged with those bonus SW Fan Club badges.

Phantom-like Menace
06-06-2007, 03:39 PM

Now that's comedy. Hit my funny bone dead center.

DarkArtist
06-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Is this any surprise?

really, I was only able to find them once in a TRU in NYC. I thought they sold really well especially since the last of the figures like Spacetrooper and Dark Trooper sold at $15-30 bucks on ebay.

as far as wave 5, here's hoping that Hasbro will change that assortment and release more of the figures since I would love to get them all. Actually I might just order the wave from EE so that I can get a complete set. might also have to do this with wave 4 as well.

darko666
06-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I thought they sold really well especially since the last of the figures like Spacetrooper and Dark Trooper sold at $15-30 bucks on ebay.

i had to get all the EU figures online(star wars shop had a few) or at conventions. i never saw one single figure from that wave in stores. but i would think the price for them was expensive due to them being rare and hard to find. but i'm glad to see that Hasbro is making more EU figures.

bigbarada
06-06-2007, 10:17 PM
That's quite a coincidence. I overheard a kid saying how much he needed all those super important characters he'd seen during hours of pausing and squinting to see if they were characters or something on the film (they were characters). He especially talked about how much he wanted that integral fat chick with all the boobies.

Well if he had to pause and squint to see Yarna, then he must be blind. She was one of the most memorable characters from ROTJ when I first saw the movie. But I think most young boys have a breast fixation anyways.

Tycho
06-09-2007, 09:41 PM
But I think most young boys have a breast fixation anyways.

I would like to weight in on that actually....[looks around, watches for moderators....] - "well, nevermind." :lipsrsealed:

But here's what I think of EU haters, really, having written nearly 100 issues or more of Rogues' Gallery which brought me to SSG in the first place, with my attempts to keep Star Wars continuing with an ongoing story.

1) People who hate the EU have picked up the really bad books and that has soured their experience. They didn't read Zahn, Crispin, Luceno, etc. but instead read the really bad crap - and there is really bad crap to be sure! This totally turned them off.

2) People are lazy. They just cannot read for pleasure. They need to have lights and sounds from videos or video games. They lack maturity, intellectual capacity, an open-mind, or combinations of all of these. You know I look down on these people with my typical smugness and arrogance - my best characteristics.

3) People might be resistant. They don't want to get into "something else." I'd say that I felt similar about Harry Potter (don't read those) or The Matrix (still haven't seen all the movies but enjoyed the first one) and so forth. I don't start new television shows because I don't like something else taking up my time. This is one reason I can understand.

As with most of the universe's problems which I am working on solutions for, I have come up with the following recommendations:

1) In this first case (bad experiences with some EU books) - ask for recommendations. Specify the time period, the characters, the subject matter that you want to read about: smugglers, Jedi, Sith, Clones, mercenaries - Lando, Darth Bane, the Ugnaughts, you name it. Ask for help with the continuity. TheForce.net has an excellent timeline resource for the EU as well with even the Star Wars Tales anecdotal stories worked in to the order.

2) In the second case, try to be a better person than Paris Hilton. :rolleyes: You're into Star Wars perhaps because you are a slave to your cretan hunter-gatherer instincts and you hoarde little plastic toys for reasons you can't even understand. Try THINKING. It shouldn't hurt too much. With the comic 2-packs, you can try reading. I know you won't have the whole story in the enclosed issue, but you can buy the Trade Paperback from DarkHorse's website or your local comic retailer / bookstore (Barnes and Nobel or Borders might have it or they can order it for you).

3. In this case, where you're too busy to be bothered, so be it. That's your choice. Don't begrudge us who enjoy it however. You're talking and putting down something you know nothing about. Do the EU waves hold back the pegs from clearing and new waves from being stocked? I guess we'll see. With Saga Legends, it will be tough to tell. There's enough of that planned to also congest the pegs.

I really hope the all-EU figure packs like Quinlan and Villie move, however. As there are so many good choices for EU figures that need to be done (like the Solo kids) who I'd like to see make it out there.

However, they can make main-characters who are at least recognizeable in name:

45 Year Old Jedi Master Luke Skywalker
13 Year Old Jedi Apprenctice Obi-Wan Kenobi

- for just two examples. But many of the main characters can be updated this way.

bigbarada
06-09-2007, 09:56 PM
1) People who hate the EU have picked up the really bad books and that has soured their experience. They didn't read Zahn, Crispin, Luceno, etc. but instead read the really bad crap - and there is really bad crap to be sure! This totally turned them off.

2) People are lazy. They just cannot read for pleasure. They need to have lights and sounds from videos or video games. They lack maturity, intellectual capacity, an open-mind, or combinations of all of these. You know I look down on these people with my typical smugness and arrogance - my best characteristics.

3) People might be resistant. They don't want to get into "something else." I'd say that I felt similar about Harry Potter (don't read those) or The Matrix (still haven't seen all the movies but enjoyed the first one) and so forth. I don't start new television shows because I don't like something else taking up my time. This is one reason I can understand.

1. I have had some really BAD Star Wars novel experiences and I would actually include Zahn's "Heir to the Empire" on that list. I tried reading the book and I just didn't like it at all. However, I did enjoy the Han Solo trilogy, both of them. I don't really want figures from them, though. Not when there are still Ewoks to be made.:crazed: (Sorry, I'm kind of in the middle of an Ewok obsession since I won a vintage carded Wicket on ebay)

2. Lazy might be one explanation, but busy would be another one. I do roof construction to make extra money during the summer and that usually entails lots of 8-10 hour days. Not to mention we just finished up with planting season which involved about 6 weeks of 10-12 hour days with maybe one day off every couple of weeks. So reading is a luxury I don't really have anymore. Plus with the movies and video games that I try to keep up with, there's just no real time for books.

3. This is probably the most accurate explanation for why people don't get into EU. I'm perfectly happy with confining my interest in Star Wars to the three original films and the 1980s television shows. To me, ROTJ is the end of the story, so I have no real interest in what happens after that.

TheCivilCollector
06-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Tycho:

That message was just another one of the reasons I grok your style.

I for one am amazed anytime people are "hatin 0n teh EU". Mainly because they never seem to stick around long. Scortch? Literally FLEW off shelves. McQuarrie ? (ok, not quite EU, but close) Anyway, can't find them either. EU POTF2? Never saw ANY "sitting" on shelves. In fact, only reason I found POTF2 EU was because I was lucky enough to find a freshly-unpacked case.

Point is, these suckers really seem to move pretty damned quick when people keep saying they don't like them. I'll admit that SOTE seemed to stick around awhile, but I think that was mainly because the actual character designs were doggy-doo (Chewie with a flat-top! Yay!).

2-1B
06-10-2007, 12:09 AM
what bigB said about Zahn, definitely an overrated trilogy.

also, I agree 100% with what he said about ROTJ being the end of the story.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I thought the Zahn trilogy was pretty good, but after the prequels were released, the time frame for the Clone Wars and such weren't as far back in time as what those books seemed to put them.

I wasn't collecting yet during the POTF2 SOTE and EU days, so I can't say for sure how available those figures were around here. I think I recall seeing them though. I will certainly look forward to the EU figures.

Umbra
06-10-2007, 01:51 PM
they weren't "real" characters and were from something else, not Star Wars

Um, they include the bloody comic book issue with the pack. If he and or the kid wants to know where they are from, the book is right there for them to both learn from. Thats my opinion.