PDA

View Full Version : D-Day: June 6th, 1944

JetsAndHeels
06-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Just wanted to take a minute to reflect on this date in history. A very significant one for the allies in WW2.....and even though it was a bloody battle it was key in our victory in europe.

I find it sad that some of the kids in my classes didn't know the significance of the date. Then again I need to remember not everyone has a love for history as I do. Still it is a great chance to introduce someone to it for the first time.

In remembrance of our fallen. And thanks to the ones who currently serve.

JimJamBonds
06-05-2007, 11:51 PM
I agree with everything J&H said above.

CaptainSolo1138
06-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Absolutely. Well said, JH.

Sixty three years ago right now (French time, of course) the landings were taking place. Its quite moving to think that "Bloody Omaha" was earning its name at this very minute.

Thank you.

JetsAndHeels
06-06-2007, 08:36 AM
The History Channel is doing alot of D-Day programming throughout the day today. Just thought I would mention that for any of you at home or somewhere near a tv.

CaptainSolo1138
06-06-2007, 08:46 AM
The History Channel is doing alot of D-Day programming throughout the day today. Just thought I would mention that for any of you at home or somewhere near a tv.Thanks for the heads up. We were just talking about that on our cig break and wondering if the Hitlery Channel would be doing invasion stuff all day.

JetsAndHeels
06-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up. We were just talking about that on our cig break and wondering if the Hitlery Channel would be doing invasion stuff all day.

Here (http://www.history.com/schedule.do?action=daily&start=1181174400000&getFullDay=true) is their programming schedule for today. It is pretty much D-Day stuff until 8pm.

CaptainSolo1138
06-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks again, JH!

InsaneJediGirl
06-06-2007, 10:38 PM
A very important date in both American and World history for sure. The thing is I only saw one piece on the news, nothing at school, regular TV, or even the local VFW hall.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.