PDA

View Full Version : "Thundercats" movie finally happening!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-06-2007, 11:03 AM
From SHH!

Thundercats Headed for the Big Screen
Source: Variety June 6, 2007

Warner Bros. has optioned a Thundercats script by new screenwriter Paul Sopocy to turn the popular 1980s animated series and toy line into a live action feature.

Variety says Warner-based Paula Weinstein will produce through her Spring Creek Productions, along with Dick Robertson and Lew Korman.

Thundercats revolves around a group of humanoid cats (with feline names like Lion-O, Tygra, Panthro and Cheetara) who must flee their planet of Thundera after it's destroyed. Once crash-landing on another planet, Third Earth, they must thwart Mumm-Ra, an evil sorcerer, bent on killing them off.

Sopocy has written the script as an origin story expanding on the major heroes and villains from the animated series, with the plot focusing on Lion-O coming of age as the leader of the Thundercats.

Warner Bros. recently teamed with Joel Silver to produce a live-action He-Man movie, based on the toy and cartoon franchise, as well as a feature based on the DC comic book Teen Titans.

So, for those of you who didn't think that "Thundercats" is a bankable franchise and this movie will probably bomb hard, raise your hand? *raises hand*

This just spells disaster. Thoughts? :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
This would be next to impossible to do live action. The makeup alone will be more expensive than the entire operating budget of the POTC movies.

2-1B
06-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm burned out on all these superhero / comic book / cartoon / Disney ride movies.

Enough already.

UKWildcat
06-06-2007, 11:56 AM
I concur with Caesar.

darko666
06-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Abe Vigoda for Mumm-Ra

El Chuxter
06-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Y'know, now that I think about it, it won't happen.

Once Transformers bombs, studios will kill plans for any other movies based on 80s toylines.

2-1B
06-06-2007, 01:06 PM
I hope you're right Caps...but one would think the same could be said for Hulk movies and they're doing another one of those already. :cry:

boshar kussc
06-06-2007, 01:59 PM
OMG, a Thundercats movie would be SOOOOOOOOO cool!!!! Samuel L. Jackson should be Panthro!!!!

Y'know, now that I think about it, it won't happen.

Once Transformers bombs, studios will kill plans for any other movies based on 80s toylines.

You think that cool looking Transformers movie is going to bomb? Why would you think that? It looks sooooo cool! Specially how they all look so alien!

I would hate to see it do bad and then not get a Thundercats movie, or a He-man movie, or an Sectaurs movie!

darko666
06-06-2007, 03:36 PM
He-Man has already been confirmed, G.I. Joe has a script written, and that robot movie coming out is in no way a Transformers film. all i see, is a bunch of scrap metal giants that have no representation of their former cartoon selfs. if you were to silhouette them, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

CaptainSolo1138
06-06-2007, 04:05 PM
I hope you're right Caps...but one would think the same could be said for Hulk movies and they're doing another one of those already. :cry:Uhhh...ummmm...yeah. That was just me posing as Chux for that post. MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Can a Micronauts movie be far behind?

Droid
06-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I can't imagine how He-Man and Thundercats won't look really, really bad in live action. Both would look terrible.

darthvyn
06-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Uhhh...ummmm...yeah. That was just me posing as Chux for that post. MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

he was confused and hungered by all the nachos. our nefarious yet indistinct plans are well in motion.

Phantom-like Menace
06-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I liked Thundercats when I was young, but I never liked them nearly as much as G.I. Joe or Star Wars or Transformers, so I don't care how much they stick to the original material. However, I can't help but think this movie is going to look like The Island of Dr. Moreau meets X3 Beast which is in turn briefly introduced (for polite appearance) to Thundercats.

Beast
06-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I think it will be a pretty big hit. There's regular campaigning on numerous boards to get a new figure line out for the classic cartoon. So I think that it will really speak to those 80's kids who have grown up. And who will bring their own kids and buy them the new toys. :)

JediTricks
06-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Thundercats isn't that bad an idea for a movie, they don't really do all that much beyond the basic premise so you don't have to worry about cramming too much into 1 film or not getting everything said. The makeup shouldn't be very difficult at all really, either they could go the cheap route with appliances and probably get away with it, or the expensive route with CGI-enhancements and risk more but reap more if it works. There's not too many sets that really need to be locked down, can shoot in the desert and other SoCal locals with colored filters or something. Folks don't remember every last detail about the cartoon so it's not too constraining for a screenplay.

Still, I think this one won't get past preproduction, it doesn't have the cache of other similar franchises from the era and it's not a particularly engaging concept for mass audiences to grasp, it's only 1 step above Silverhawks and a step below Bionic 6, several steps below Jonny Quest (actually, both of those would make really awesome films).

He-Man has already been confirmed, G.I. Joe has a script written, and that robot movie coming out is in no way a Transformers film. all i see, is a bunch of scrap metal giants that have no representation of their former cartoon selfs. if you were to silhouette them, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.I'm not impressed with Transformers movie either, and the only reason it exists at all is because Don Murphy bought the rights to do a GI Joe movie but when the Iraq war broke out he felt the timing wouldn't be right, so he figured he'd do something similar and bought the rights to produce the Transformers movie.

El Chuxter
11-04-2007, 09:21 PM
I hope this is put together better than Transformers, snarf snarf. I have zero hopes for GIJoe, given that most of the same people and groups are involved, snarf snarf. It will really be horrible if three of my favorite 'toons are totally b*****dized on the screen within a few years, snarf snarf snarf. Worse if they make a Voltron movie that sucks, too, snarf snarf. :(

2-1B
11-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Voltron with vehicles or Voltron with lions ?

Beast
11-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Voltron with vehicles or Voltron with lions ?
Lions, of course. Vehicles would scream too much of Power Rangers. :p

Blue2th
11-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Maybe they can use this guy again aah!...http://www.wcnews.com/newshots/full/kilrathi_animatronic1.jpg

JediTricks
11-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Lions, of course. Vehicles would scream too much of Power Rangers. :p
Uh, no. Vehicle Voltron didn't have 5 vehicles like Power Rangers' Zords, it had 15 broken down into 3 sets of teams. Still, it was pretty boring compared to the Lions.

Beast
11-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Uh, no. Vehicle Voltron didn't have 5 vehicles like Power Rangers' Zords, it had 15 broken down into 3 sets of teams. Still, it was pretty boring compared to the Lions.
Nerd!!

Heh. I don't even remember Vehicle Voltron. :p

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't admit that if I were you. Voltron is one of the greatest animated programs ever stolen from Japan. :)

Beast
11-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Meh. I never liked it all that much.

JediTricks
11-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Nerd!!

Heh. I don't even remember Vehicle Voltron. :pI have the knockoff version on my bookshelf, my original was long since lost. It's a really awesome toy though, even if the "feet" vehicles are way out of scale to the rest. :p But I loves me my Voltron vehicles and lions (gladiators can rot in hell).

Meh. I never liked it all that much.Wow, bad choice.

El Chuxter
11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
No kidding. You ought to check it out again, JJB Beast. It (and Thundercats, for that matter) holds up much better than the majority of 80s cartoons.

I hope that, even though it wasn't as cool, a "Vehicle Collection" comes out after Black Lion Collection (vol 5). I think all the episodes should fit on one set.

2-1B
11-08-2007, 12:09 AM
I didn't like the Vehicles version but the Lions were swell.

El Chuxter
11-08-2007, 12:40 AM
I've got all the Lion DVDs so far (the last set comes out next month, IIRC). I'd get the Vehicle series, if they release it, just because they tied them together. It wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be, although it wasn't particularly good, either.