PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Comic Con 2007

Darth Cruel
06-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Am I really the first person to post about this Con? I really expected to find multiple pages by now.

Anyway...I got my 4(actually 5) day passes yesterday. The last possible day to get them at 55.00. I am glad I am set with that! I am looking forward to the preview night!

El Chuxter
06-09-2007, 07:45 PM
I got my passes last year, but unfortunately found out a couple of weeks ago I can't go. Luckily, I was in time to get a full refund, but this will be the first time since I moved here that I can't attend. :(

JodyB
06-10-2007, 01:03 AM
This is the first year since 1990 that I won't be attending... It's just too damn crowded anymore... I really miss the old Comic Con that was a "Comic" Convention.

Jayspawn
06-11-2007, 10:38 AM
I think the dust is still setteling from CIV, so not much SDCC talk. Anyways, should be a great show -wish I was going.

The Commander Cody Minibust is gonna be a hit (and disaster at the same time).

Bel-Cam Jos
06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
I am kind of tapped out. That week, I have a lot going on, so I'd be pooped. And I echo some of the other comments, in that it's got tons o' people there and I don't know if $55 is a good deal anymore. Not so much of the Star Wars stuff going on, at least as compared to the last two years.

Tycho
06-26-2007, 02:18 AM
I'm going. I live in San Diego and don't even have to drive to this con. Thus I have no excuse.

I know I'm meeting Figrinbran down there, and hopefully DarthCruel. I'll miss not getting to hang out with El Chuxter this year. :cry: I was so much looking forward to making fun of his taste in Transformers in person!

But Transformers, Hulk, Batman, Star Trek, and Superman / Smallville are clearly other attractions for me at this year's Comic Con besides Star Wars. That being said, Star Wars is still a great attraction for me, and as I did not attend C4, there will be a lot of freshness to Lucasfilm's offerings for me.

figrin bran
07-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Full programming schedule for SDCC (http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci07_prog_thu.php)

Tycho, it's kind of looking as if i won't be able to make it to the Hasbro panel on Friday as I would have to leave my home at around 6 am. i have trouble enough getting to Target by 8 am.

Tycho
07-11-2007, 01:30 AM
I understand Figrin.

I've made a tentative schedule for where I'll be: (for scheduling conflicts, I'll decide on the spot)

Preview Night - running to Hasbro and SideShow mostly. There's no programs and I'm not interested in much else that I can think of on the showroom floor. I suppose Master Replicas might be there for lines other than Star Wars. Their staff has some very cool people I may want to say "hello" to.

Thursday:

12:30 - 1:30 Rm 6 CDEF - Star Trek

1 -2 Rm 10 - SideShow

1:30 - 3:30 (have to check the room) Paramount - Star Trek, Indiana Jones

LUNCH (maybe dealer room time - not my priority)

5- 6 Rm 4 Action Figure Times - Diamond Select who does Star Trek will be there

6- 7 Rm 5 AB - Star Trek

6- 7 (have to check the room) "Fan Boys" - says SW Spoof will be out Jan 18

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday (Star Wars Day) - almost all events in Rm 1 AB.

10:30-11:30 Rm 1 AB - Star Wars books

10:30-11:30 Rm 30 AB - Jews and Comics - allegedly, most superheroes were Jewish?

11:30 Rm 1 AB - Hasbro Star Wars (all SSGrs regroup here at this hour!)

12:30 - 1:30 - Rm 1 AB - Star Wars video games

12:15- ? Hall H - 21st Century Fox Studios - Hayden Christensen, Sam Jackson amongst others, Aliens vs. Predator (new movie?)

1:30 - 2:30, Rm 1 AB - Star Wars Robot Chicken

2:30- 3:30, Rm 1 AB - Dark Horse Comics' Star Wars

LUNCH - Time to Line Up for Star Wars Spectacular

5-6 Hall H (far end of the convention center - long walk) Steve Sansweet SW

6:15 Hall H - Kevin Smith - always very funny (other year: sex w. Grandma. Not J/K)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday

11:45- 1:15 Rm 6 A - Transformers! Autobots: roll in!

5:15 - 6:30 Rm 6 CDEF - Terminator - Sarah Conner Chronicles

6-7 Rm 24 A - Indiana Jones

6:30 - 7:30 Rm 6 CDEF - Smallville - Supergirl star, live

7:45 Rm 6 CDEF - Sara Silverman - sexy comedian, actress

Costume Masquerade Broadcast for those without tickets - Rm 6A/6B big screens

- Tickets are free, but you have to be available to get them around 2 or 3 (I might be) and then the line starts for the show, that far in advance. I'm obviously going to be busy this year. I have to talk to my friends about what we're doing for the masquerade. We usually sit together, but I think a viewing room might be alright this year since there are late programs I want to attend.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday

I'll likely stay home and sleep. Enough is enough. The problem is that always by Monday, I'll be missing it and wished there was more to the show, but I don't want to go 5 days in a row. It's too much for me.

figrin bran
07-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Tycho, would you recommend lining up at the same time that you are for the SW Sansweet presentation? or are you just trying to be first in line?

Btw, i don't know about most superheroes being Jewish but at the very least, Superman's creators were Jewish and "Kal-El" comes from Hebrew for "vessel of God", if i'm not mistaken.

Saturday has some outstanding programming like Heroes and BSG and Smallville (hmmm, i seem to watch every show that JT watches though he doesn't watch Lost)...makes me think about coming on that day as well.

Tycho
07-11-2007, 02:52 AM
Tycho, would you recommend lining up at the same time that you are for the SW Sansweet presentation? or are you just trying to be first in line?

Every year the Star Wars Spectacular over-fills. First, people camp out there from earlier presentations and hold onto their seats. I don't believe Comic Con has ever made people "clear the room" as they have at SW Celebrations. However, for events like Hasbro's Star Wars, I think they sometimes did because that generates a line (a bunch of Yarna dal Gargon fans, they are ;) )

Next, you get better seats that are left over if you get in there fast. If they're not clearing the room, you will also have that seat for Kevin Smith who immediately follows - and whom I highly recommend seeing if you like to laugh! (Do NOT get up to ask Kevin Smith a question - he roasts all his fans hardcore! Haha)

Btw, i don't know about most superheroes being Jewish but at the very least, Superman's creators were Jewish and "Kal-El" comes from Hebrew for "vessel of God", if i'm not mistaken.

I think that's where they start the focus, but it's an interesting theory. However, I don't think Stan Lee (Spider-Man, Hulk) is Jewish. But part of the theory is that the stateless Jews who knew persecution and not a homeland (many of them created their characters before Israel was formed) invented these characers to give them hope - largely the hope they sought in the United States, hence "the American hero" perspective.

I don't think I'll have time to make this one though, because it takes me away from the Star Wars room and I don't have the stamina to do all the walking I used to do dating up to 10 years or more back worth of Comic Cons.

Saturday has some outstanding programming like Heroes and BSG and Smallville (hmmm, i seem to watch every show that JT watches though he doesn't watch Lost)...makes me think about coming on that day as well.

I'm glad I'll be able to see Smallville this year as it's not interfering with Star Wars programming for once.

Yeah there are some good choices. My list was for myself. But go to www.comic-con.org and look on the bottom of the page for the schedule of events to see what you might want to do.

jjreason
07-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Stan Lee is Jewish. He was born Stanley Martin Lieber.

El Chuxter
07-12-2007, 12:26 AM
As are (were) Siegel & Schuster, Simon & Kirby, Bob Kane, and (I think) Marty Nodell.

Tycho
07-12-2007, 12:35 AM
For those who don't know:

Siegel & Schuster - Superman

Simon & Kirby - I don't know

Bob Kane - Batman

Marty Nodell - I don't know

figrin bran
07-12-2007, 12:54 AM
You don't know Jack Kirby?? He and Simon created Captain America. Kirby, widely hailed as one of the greatest comic artists, also created The Fantastic Four, the Hulk, Iron Man, X-Men and all the DC Apokolips/New Genesis "New Gods" characters like Darkseid, Orion.

anyhow, is there usually any SSG meetup at the Con?

will we have SSG badges or should i just reprint the one i had for CIV?

plasticfetish
07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
will we have SSG badges or should i just reprint the one i had for CIV?Seeing as how not many of us wore ours at C4 ;) maybe we should just wear them again.

I'll be there (with plasticfetish jr.) on Thursday and Friday... still haven't decided what we're doing yet, but I'm told that we're going to the "Ed, Edd and Eddy" panel on Thursday. :)

El Chuxter
07-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Nodell = created the Green Lantern

Deoxyribonucleic
07-12-2007, 02:53 PM
I'll be there since I live in Long Beach, a mere hour and a half away and I can't WAIT! It is a much needed vacation! :thumbsup:

Whask
07-16-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm going. I live in San Diego and don't even have to drive to this con. Thus I have no excuse.

Joddokastt and I will be there too as usual, it looks like we'll probobly be seeing a few of the same panels hopefully we'll run into you...see ya there!

figrin bran
07-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Tycho, on second thought I'm going to do everything I can to make it onto an earlier train so that I can be there for the Hasbro panel. I could just sleep on the trip to and from.

Tycho
07-21-2007, 02:29 PM
For those going to Comic Con:

Special Star Wars Concert by San Diego Symphony Orchestra! (http://sandiegosymphony.com/summerpops/event.php?id=5)

I posted here because I didn't want the lurkers to grab up all the seats before you guys have a chance.

I saw a show like this at C2 in Indy and the 501st lined the perimeter with Stormtroopers and Darth Vader came out conducting with a lightsaber! There were laser effects added and IIRC Anthony Daniels announced for it.

This is exclusively all Star Wars music and a great show. I'll be there with guests in the front section, but it's a wonderful treat for Thursday night at Comic Con and I suspect it will go from 6:00-9pm the first night of Comic Con.

Well worth it if you ask me. I can already hear Darth Vader's Theme (Imperial March) in my head - but think about it live and really amplified right on the San Diego Harbor waterfront! This is going to be cool.

And I've never heard Revenge of the Sith live, especially with Battle of the Heroes. You never know if Master Replicas might furnish some props to accent the show :thumbsup:

figrin bran
07-24-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm hearing that Hasbro will have some life sized Indy movie props on display, including a Well of Souls and Ark of the Covenant. Disney will counter with a 40 foot long Black Pearl replica that you can actually walk through.

stillakid
07-25-2007, 07:02 AM
I just got back to the States and am thinking of going to ComicCon on Friday, maybe with the kids.

What is the Hasbro exclusive this year? Any other special things going that would make the trip and money worth it?

figrin bran
07-25-2007, 10:25 AM
I just got back to the States and am thinking of going to ComicCon on Friday, maybe with the kids.

What is the Hasbro exclusive this year? Any other special things going that would make the trip and money worth it?

McQuarrie Yoda/Obi Wan!

Here's the Ark of the Covenant (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1061/890564658_a108891d5e.jpg?v=0) that they'll have on display

JediTricks
07-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm hearing that Hasbro will have some life sized Indy movie props on display, including a Well of Souls and Ark of the Covenant. Disney will counter with a 40 foot long Black Pearl replica that you can actually walk through.
Dang, that's really cool!

figrin bran
07-27-2007, 01:02 AM
So where's the award winning JediTricks convention commentary?

jjreason
07-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Ummm... possibly off topic (?) did anyone get any cool comics when they were there?

stillakid
07-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Ummm... possibly off topic (?) did anyone get any cool comics when they were there?

What's a comic? :confused:

jjreason
07-28-2007, 12:12 PM
You know, like Carrot Top! He's a cool comic.... I betcha he'd catch a fair price in Very Fine condition.........

JON9000
08-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Here is a funny review of the comic-con I read today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20043243/page/2/

Tycho
08-01-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm sorry it's all over and it came and went by so fast. The house is empty once again with my guests gone and it will be "back to routine" shortly.

figrin bran
08-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Watch the Hasbro panel right here! (http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=261&itemid=11488)

so who's up for paying Tycho a surprise visit?

Tycho
08-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Darn! Figgy's video link didn't include the part where the guy pee'd on himself when he got up to ask a question.

I'm not kidding. Oh - and that's right. It happened later during the LucasArts videogaming presentation. Deoxy's friend Chad was sitting with me and we both witnessed the big wet spot on the seat when he got up and ran for the bathroom (I assume) right after he asked his question.

I'll have to check if there is a video link to the LucasArts presentation as well. I AM NOT EXAGERATING about this.

JediTricks
08-02-2007, 02:49 AM
So where's the award winning JediTricks convention commentary?
Honestly, I don't think I'm going to do one. I missed so many panels and spent so much time doing stuff for the site, hanging out with friends both old and new, and trying to find little moments to have fun that I don't think a play-by-play of my trip will be that interesting to readers. I was so busy I didn't even get to shoot pics and I shot thousands at CIV. Plus, you wuz there bro, you met me, that's the brass ring! :p

Anyway, I'll be working on some of the notes I have for a few days turning them into news and stuff. Any questions you guys have for me though, hit me up!

plasticfetish
08-02-2007, 03:41 PM
TYCHO! You promised that you wouldn't tell anyone about the "pee thing" at the Lucasarts panel. (God... I'm so embarrassed.)

Can't believe I didn't see anyone at the con. Was there for two days also. (Unless we trampled on each other in passing and didn't know it.)

We (the kid and I) spent most of our time at Cartoon Network panels, so if anyone has guestions about "Ed, Edd and Eddie", "Fosters...", or "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy", I'm here to answer them. ;) (Was fun actually. CN did a great job at the con of keeping things moving, and making it a thrill for the kids and fans.)

Saw the "Torchwood" panel. The show starts playing "here" (Saturday) September 8th on BBC America.

Met the guys from Mystery Science Theater 3000. They're doing a new (DVD only) project called "The Film Crew (http://www.filmcrewonline.com/)", where they comment about bad movies, and do funny bits from time to time. (Same idea, but no robots.) It's cool! They autographed a DVD box for me, and a postcard for the kid.

...anything else? Hmmm... maybe later.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 07:28 PM
PF, you were at the show? I heard rumors, but figured they must be tabloid lies.

I couldn't believe how many people were there, I could have run into my doppleganger and not noticed with how crazy it was - it took me 2 more days to leave town, I needed a vacation from my vacation! :D

How was the CN panel? It was on my list but I had to pass. They promised something big newsworthy, what was it?

I was eating it that I didn't get to hit that Film Crew panel, I had to walk right by it for another panel's huge line where they weren't letting folks in after door-close and I had to stand for 45 minutes, I saw that Film Crew one and heard Mike Nelson's voice and died a little inside. :p

plasticfetish
08-05-2007, 10:33 PM
PF, you were at the show? I heard rumors, but figured they must be tabloid lies.Yes... the rumors were all true. Me and my nerdling were there wandering the halls. (Since we missed the con last year, and he missed out on CIV, I made this more of a trip for him.)

It was crowded. I'm bad with crowds, so for all I know you may have walked past me 100 times...

How was the CN panel? It was on my list but I had to pass. They promised something big newsworthy, what was it?We hit the "Ed, Edd and Eddy" panel, which is one of the kids favorite shows. It was fun... they talked about being from Canada, doing animation by hand (they're the last show ever to do hand coloring), and then they showed a cut scene from one of PFjr's favorite episodes. I've developed a bigger appreciation for that show now.

We sat in on the "Grim Adventures of Bill and Mandy" + "Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends" panel. Grim Adventures was cool. My son is also a big fan of that show. (Has a "Fred Fredburger" obsession.) They talked about a new special, a spin-off show called "Upfist", and a show by writer Carl Greenblatt (http://nerdarmada.blogspot.com/) called "Chowder." (Looks good.)

They shifted a bit and then the Fosters people sat down. (I love that show.) They talked about the show, about casting, writing, character design, etc.

It was cool to hear all of them talk about how, why and what they do to make fun shows for kids.

I was eating it that I didn't get to hit that Film Crew panel, I had to walk right by it for another panel's huge line where they weren't letting folks in after door-close and I had to stand for 45 minutes, I saw that Film Crew one and heard Mike Nelson's voice and died a little inside.
We turned a corner, and they were all just sitting there. I kind of freaked a little... pointed at Mike in a really non-cool way (we were like 5 feet away), and then we said hello. I suck when it comes to saying hello to people that I like. A total dip. The new show is good... well worth the money if you're a MST3K fan. I hope it works out for them, because I miss their humor... and because every movie does deserve a commentary track.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 12:56 AM
It was crowded. I'm bad with crowds, so for all I know you may have walked past me 100 times...I would hope we would have noticed one another by then. ;)

We hit the "Ed, Edd and Eddy" panel, which is one of the kids favorite shows. It was fun... they talked about being from Canada, doing animation by hand (they're the last show ever to do hand coloring), and then they showed a cut scene from one of PFjr's favorite episodes. I've developed a bigger appreciation for that show now.EE&E is one of the shows my sister won't let my niece watch. :p

We turned a corner, and they were all just sitting there. I kind of freaked a little... pointed at Mike in a really non-cool way (we were like 5 feet away), and then we said hello. I suck when it comes to saying hello to people that I like. A total dip. The new show is good... well worth the money if you're a MST3K fan. I hope it works out for them, because I miss their humor... and because every movie does deserve a commentary track.Woah! That sounds cool. Sadly, they haven't done much with their last project, I guess, but I want this to work, LIVE!!!!!

plasticfetish
08-06-2007, 02:09 AM
EE&E is one of the shows my sister won't let my niece watch.Ha! At the autograph signing I told show creator Danny Antonucci that his show was the one mommy most often tells us to turn off when she has a headache.

JediTricks
08-06-2007, 02:54 AM
Outstanding! What was his response?

plasticfetish
08-06-2007, 03:09 PM
He laughed. Seems like a really good guy.