PDA

View Full Version : I got "The Land of the Lost" complete series

Luuuuuuke
06-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm not saying it's a buy worthy of getting The Sopranos seasons series, but the episodes are actually still pretty entertaining. It was a nostalgia buy(I was really little when it came out and I think what I actually saw was the reruns in the early 80s). And most nostalgia buys end up being dissapointing. Here's a link in case you never heard of this series: http://www.landofthelost.com/

I wasn't dissapointed. The special effects are what you expect: horribile by today's standards. But the acting isn't bad and the writing has it's witty moments.

For some reason a lot of the stuff on this old series makes me think the creators of "Lost" borrowed some stuff:D Yeah, it sounds crazy, but if any of you remember "Land of the Lost," you'll probably think there's a parallel between "the hatch" and the "pylons" and "Lost city."

Anyway, it's funny to see something I had vague memories of with a whole new perspective.

Apparently Will Ferrell is slated to ap pear in a "Land of the Lost".

2-1B
06-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Those Pakunis creeped me out as a kid. The green dino was cool.

Luuuuuuke
06-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Those Pakunis creeped me out as a kid. The green dino was cool.

I think the green dino is "Big Alice," the allosaur. There was Grumpy the T-Rex. Dopey, the baby Brontosaur. Spot, some random skinny bipedal dinosaur who got chewed on by the T-rex once.

There were the Sleestaks, which were the reptilian humanoid looking creatures. Apparently they were played by basketball players. Bill Laimbeer of the Detroit Pistons was a Sleestak.

Chaka was the most famous Pakuni. Chaka is also the nickname of the most famous and prolific graffiti tagger of all time:ninja:

Rocketboy
06-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Bill Laimbeer of the Detroit Pistons was a Sleestak.So is Slicker's Mom.

Apparently Will Ferrell is slated to ap pear in a "Land of the Lost".Which is even funnier since his character in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was Federal Wildlife Marshal Willenholly.

Luuuuuuke
06-11-2007, 03:24 AM
So is Slicker's Mom.

Which is even funnier since his character in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was Federal Wildlife Marshal Willenholly.

HOw the hell the Slicker's mom joke started, I don't know, and I'm not sure I want to.

I never watched that the Jay & Silent Bob movies, but now that you mention it, that is funny. I think "The Land of the Lost" is going to be made as a comedy according to an article I read. Makes sense with Ferrell being onboard.

JEDIpartner
06-11-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm scared of the fact that the guy who played Chaka is kinda hot now!! :eek:

JON9000
06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I have tried going back and watching a few of late 70's early 80's shows on a nostalgia trip.

The Tomorrow People
Battle of the Planets
Starblazers

The only one that really holds up well is the second season of Starblazers, which actually holds up very well. BOTP might have been okay, but so much content was slashed and filled in by 7-zark-7, which sucks. gotta love that theme song, however!

The mid-eighties stuff is all pretty good, even today.

I have feeling Land of the Lost would seriously suck, along with most of that Krofft Superstars stuff. I'll try and catch a bit on youtube.

Luuuuuuke
06-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm scared of the fact that the guy who played Chaka is kinda hot now!! :eek:

How did you find a picture of the guy? The guy who played the dad all but dissapeared.

After watching about a dozen episodes, I don't think Land of the Lost is bad. The special effects are terrible by our standards today, but for a half hour kid show, it's actually surprisngly mature and well written. And it's also very original. I'm telling you guys, there are elements in "Lost" that are eerily similar to stuff you see in "land of the lost." It's weird.

JEDIpartner
06-14-2007, 10:45 AM
It was either on a VHS or a DVD that we got from the local library about a year ago. One of the extras had the actors who played Holly and Cha-ka being interviewed about the show. Holly looks like a big white trash woman in that interview and Cha-ka looks kinda handsome! Scary!!!

Not a great picture of him but... CLICK HERE (http://www.bugaloos.com/cha-ka.jpg)

mabudonicus
06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
The Kroft Supershow stuff actually isn't REALLY bad- I recently watched some Land of the Lost and Electra-woman and Dyna Girl, and seriously, as goofy as it looks, it is actually pretty entertaining- much better then, say, "Greatest Ameircan Hero", since there's no pathos or anything- quite a bit like the shows were produced in the same mind-set as the 60's live-action Batman.

I find this phenomenon a LOT it seems- stuff that I wrote of as crap years ago seems a LOT better in light of the garbage that has followed- mid 80's films seem to fit this category pretty well, as do many of them classic shows of the day- f'rinstance, silly as it was, Hardcastle and Mccormick was a FUN show to watch, much more entertaining and engaging than, say, Nash Bridges

:beard: Iso & Baws

KH sometimes watches Kung Fu films

Lord Malakite
06-14-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm moving this topic over to the TV section since there is a lot of TV show talk in general going on here.