PDA

View Full Version : Chewie was supposed to get a medal in the script!

JediTricks
06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
According to The Making of Star Wars, in the 3rd version of The Star Wars, Chewbacca is among our heroes receiving a medal at the ceremony at the end for his bravery during the battle. Yet in the 4th and final draft, Chewie is left off to the side to watch Han & Luke collect accolades.

What changed between the 3rd and 4th draft which caused Lucas to sideline our Wookiee pal for the recognition?

Is it possible he pulled another "Jedi don't seek 'revenge'" things and felt Chewie being from a slave race meant the Rebels wouldn't recognize his accomplishments? Or is it possible Lucas didn't feel Chewie really did enough to deserve a medal from the princess?

Maybe it was Leia watching the Wookiee cower in the corner of the trash masher like a baby. :p

Kidhuman
06-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Well we have a 5th and 6th version now, and he still doesnt have a medal, so we can really await the super nifty SE versions and see.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-10-2007, 10:06 PM
They didn't have anyone tall enough to put the medal around his neck.

darko666
06-10-2007, 10:34 PM
the Rebels are picky with who they hand medals out too, ever since Jek Porkins accidently ate his while pigging out at a buffet in a local cantina a few years before the attack on the Death Star.

bigbarada
06-11-2007, 12:32 AM
If you think about it, why didn't Threepio and Artoo get some kind of commendation?

Maybe it was a pilot's medal and Chewie, being a co-pilot, didn't qualify. Or maybe wrapping something around a Wookie's neck is a sign of bondage and something that Wookies don't really like very much.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-11-2007, 12:39 AM
I used to listen to the Story of Star Wars cassette a lot as a kid. Roscoe Lee Browne was the narrator. When he described this scene, he referred to a "confused Chewbacca". Maybe he was confused as to why he wasn't getting a medal.

Jargo
06-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Maybe the droids recieved new parts and they did get a clean up finally. though why 3PO didn't get a shiney gold lower leg casing to replace his silvered one is beyond me.

Maybe Wookiees fight for honour and justice and the Republican way and don't see trinkets as important. Though looking at the amount of bling on their homeworld dwellings I doubt that.

perhaps it's because he's just a co-pilot. Signed up to the rebel forces along with han but not actually a paid up member with a valid membership card.

El Chuxter
06-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Somewhere, somewhen, it was explained that Wookiees don't put much stock in such trinkets, and the Rebel leadership recognized this and didn't want to insult him.

stillakid
06-11-2007, 05:57 PM
If you think about it, why didn't Threepio and Artoo get some kind of commendation?

Right! In TPM, the tin can only saved a shiny star ship and got a commendation from Amadala. In ANH, he helps save an entire planet and gets squat. WTF? :upset:

Jargo
06-11-2007, 06:17 PM
technically in ANH after R2 gets blasted by a stray shot, he's out of the game. so although he worked in his official capacity on Luke's ship he was to all intents and purposes electronic scrap when the shot that blew up the death star was fired. so R2 wasn't really active in the battle. and 3PO was fannying around at the rebel base like a society airhead.

technically it should only be Luke for the death star destruction but han gets one for his role in returning the data to the rebellion and for helping rescue the princess. And also because Han was going to take the credits to Jabba and instead joined the shiney happy rebellion. which was down a few men after the capture of the Tantive IV. "give the dude bling and he will stay".

darko666
06-11-2007, 08:18 PM
well, the droids getting a medal would be pointless. however, they did get cleaned up and repaired, which i assume would be more beneficial than a medal. R2 got the same treatment in TPM as he did in ANH.

bigbarada
06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Right! In TPM, the tin can only saved a shiny star ship and got a commendation from Amadala. In ANH, he helps save an entire planet and gets squat. WTF? :upset:

I think the Naboo awarding commendations to droids would be done for the same reason that they elected a 14 year old Queen to rule their planet: they're all morons.

JediTricks
06-11-2007, 11:00 PM
They didn't have anyone tall enough to put the medal around his neck.That's what bowing is for.

If you think about it, why didn't Threepio and Artoo get some kind of commendation? Because they're members of a slave race, 3rd class citizens in the SW universe that only Luke treats as equals.

perhaps it's because he's just a co-pilot.That's always been my theory.

Somewhere, somewhen, it was explained that Wookiees don't put much stock in such trinkets, and the Rebel leadership recognized this and didn't want to insult him.For reals or did you just pull that out of the air?

I think the Naboo awarding commendations to droids would be done for the same reason that they elected a 14 year old Queen to rule their planet: they're all morons.She wasn't even their youngest monarch. Elected monarchs are a stupid concept anyway.

Jargo
06-12-2007, 07:00 AM
I've often wondered why R2 and 3PO are even at the ceremony. They are only droids. R2 should be in the hangar droid pool and 3PO should be off doing some decryption of alien e-mail or something. where are the other droids if those two are allowed to the party? I bet they're right *annoyed* about not getting upgraded memory chips and shiney exteriors.

El Chuxter
06-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm being serious, but I can't remember where it was I read it. It was an official source of some sort, maybe the Insider?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-12-2007, 07:44 PM
For reals or did you just pull that out of the air?
I thinked I heared that somewheres, too. Can't remember where, but that sounds very Kevin J. Anderson-esque.

It's probably something as mundane as why the Blue Squadron was changed to Red; maybe a brown-medal-strap-on-brown-Wookiee-fur blur, or too hidden beneath the head mask hair..

JediTricks
06-13-2007, 10:46 PM
No, it was definitely removed from the script from version 3 to 4, Lucas had it in mind until he got down to what we basically know today. I'm wondering if the "answer" you guys are referring to isn't just one of those EU explanations that some authorized writer pulled out of his ear. If you find the source, please LMK.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2007, 11:17 PM
No, it was definitely removed from the script from version 3 to 4, Lucas had it in mind until he got down to what we basically know today. I'm wondering if the "answer" you guys are referring to isn't just one of those EU explanations that some authorized writer pulled out of his ear. If you find the source, please LMK.Oh, I thought you realized that. I'm pretty sure it was an EU story. And, it was pulled out of the ether, not his ear. :o

JediTricks
06-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Oh, I thought you meant someone wrote that it was LUCAS' reason.

mtriv73
06-14-2007, 11:31 AM
They'd already spent the entire props budget on special effects and could only afford 2 medals.

What I don't understand is why Chewie (who aparently never gets an official rank in the alliance) gets to give the order for everyone to face front after our heroes march in to get their medals. Of course, if a wookie ordered me to do something I don't think I'd sit their and argue about whether or not he has the authority to do so. I like my arms where they are.

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2007, 03:37 PM
What I don't understand is why Chewie (who aparently never gets an official rank in the alliance) gets to give the order for everyone to face front after our heroes march in to get their medals..Please, please, please tell me that that wasn't the "super cool back story" given to Chewie's random growl when they entered...

mtriv73
06-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I just always kind of assumed it was. As soon as he growls, they all face front.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I found this on a website:

Only problem will be that it'll cost Chewie 25 USD to finally get his. :( :greedy: And he'll have to wait more 3 years for that movie to be released.