PDA

View Full Version : Whoa, whoa, whoa...

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I was reading in another thread about Uncle Owen fighting a cyborg Darth Maul. For the love of freakin' God tell me that was a joke, otherwise I have a new "absolutely the dumbest, most hilarious SW thing conceivable" to replace the Fett/McDengar wedding.

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 12:53 PM
It was an Infinities story--the equivalent of Marvel's "What If...?" or DC's "Elseworlds." It was as ridiculously stupid as it sounds. Unfortunately, some folks seem to not realize it never happened.

It was in the Visionaries graphic novel. The entire thing is made-up, though a couple of stories could actually occur (like a letter to Mon Mothma from her son, shortly before he dies on Hoth). Basically, the concept artists just came up with stories.

According to this, Maul is constantly one step behind Obi-Wan for years. Finally, he somehow winds up on Polis Massa, where he kills them all and finds out Obi-Wan went to Tatooine. Never mind that he never told them that. Then he comes to Tatooine and kills Watto to find out where Obi-Wan is. Again, never mind that Watto has no clue even as to who Obi-Wan is.

Maul bests Obi-Wan in combat, but is shot and killed by Owen. Nice Jedi reflexes there, buddy. :rolleyes:

The art is spectacular, though.

This is also where pre-cyborg Grievous comes from. At least the story of how he lost his body is one of the more plausible ones, aside from this incredibly weird reference to Dooku keeping Sifo-Dyas in suspended animation and sucking his blood to stay alive.

In any case, it's all better than Legacy. ;)

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2007, 02:04 PM
And this rubbish somehow becomes "new canon"?

Remind me again why I'm moving away form SW? :)

jedi master sal
06-14-2007, 02:39 PM
And this rubbish somehow becomes "new canon"?

No n, this is not canon in that it's part of the continuity of the Saga. As Chux mentioned, it's like a "What If" story. It's not meant to be canon, just what might have happened had Maul survived his becoming half the man he used to be...heh.

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Regardless of whether it is in the "What if..." style or if it is canon or not, its embarrassingly silly.

Rocketboy
06-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Regardless of whether it is in the "What if..." style or if it is canon or not, its embarrassingly silly.No, embarrassingly silly is "Skippy, the Jedi Droid" (R5-D4).

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Skippy was, at least, intended to be a joke, and was amusing. Cyborg Maul doesn't even have that going for him.

Crazy as it sounds, the design actually would make a cool action figure, if they're doing stupid Infinities designs anyway.

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Crazy as it sounds, the design actually would make a cool action figure, if they're doing stupid Infinities designs anyway.If they're doing it anyway and people are actually going to buy the damn thing then great. One of my biggest gripes is that people beg for a figure and then it clogs up pegs (i.e. Deity 3PO) and then they complain about it. Tell me you can't see that happening with the Tonnika sisters when two of pretty much the exact same figure will be sitting there for months.

Droid
06-14-2007, 04:09 PM
If they're doing it anyway and people are actually going to buy the damn thing then great. One of my biggest gripes is that people beg for a figure and then it clogs up pegs (i.e. Deity 3PO) and then they complain about it. Tell me you can't see that happening with the Tonnika sisters when two of pretty much the exact same figure will be sitting there for months.

I think they should do quality sculpts and make Yarna, the Tonnikas, Ice Cream Maker Guy, and the like exclusives like the Lucas Family set was.

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2007, 04:15 PM
I think they should do quality sculpts and make Yarna, the Tonnikas, Ice Cream Maker Guy, and the like exclusives like the Lucas Family set was.ZOMG!!111! Did you say the dreaded "E" word?!?!?!?!?!

That's the thing: Those would sell like hotcakes to collectors as exclusives, but as soon as they hear that word they decide that its a huge conspiracy theory by Hasbro to kill the line.

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Depends on if it's a reasonably priced exclusive that's actually attainable (like the Lucas set), or something that's overpriced or nearly impossible to get (convention exclusives).

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2007, 04:40 PM
or something that's overpriced or nearly impossible to get (convention exclusives).
Didn't they have palette after palette of those R2 and 3PO things left after C4?

I agree that convention exclusives are silly for the most part (in terms of availability), especially for those stricken with Completionism. But that seems to be, based on the rumblings I get from the boards, the poor distribution policy of and silly rules put in place by the convention itself, though I'm sure it is tied to Hasbro somewhere down the line. Wouldn't it stand to reason then that its not the convention exclusives that suck but rather the way they are distributed to conventioneers?

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Actually, funny you ask. :)

Most of the exclusives that have problems are the ones distributed by Hasbro itself. The droids were distributed by GenCon. I'm sure a big part of why they had extras was the way they were strictly rationed earlier in the show.

Hasbro, on the other hand, will sell full cases one day, close the store early, strictly limit them the next day (but not check badges), and run out of stuff before the end of the show. In the past, their exclusives have been superfluous. But this year, they've got the concept Luke, Ben, and Minch, who are pretty vital to anyone collecting the McQuarrie subline.

I hope they gave that pooch some vasoline first.

Droid
06-14-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't mind, and I don't think many people mind, exclusives where you just go to the web site and order them. Like, as has been said, the Lucas set.

Jargo
06-14-2007, 11:10 PM
y'know, with all the EU crud that's out there. and there is a lot. I'm surprised no-one has badgered Lucas for his own EU to turn his early drafts of star wars into comic books.

I enjoyed the Tales comics from Dark Horse or the few I got hold of.I think it would be quite interesting to marry early production designs to drafts of script done about the same time and see what artists could come up with.

in my view I'd sooner look at the Starkiller version of star wars than some bunkum about darth Maul being a lame Sith lord yet again.

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2007, 11:28 PM
My biggest gripe with the EU is that, to me anyway, it has gone beyond Star Wars and tried to do something all on its own but under the SW flag. Alow me to explain.

Take for example the "Tales from..." novels. They were the back stories of the various patrons and denizens of the title location and all were tied into what was occuring in the movie at the time. Some were more of a stretch than others (i.e. Dice Ibegon gettin' it on with the wolfman who, BTW, is an X-Wing pilot), but they were a quality read and they left you saying to yourself, "So that's why they were there!"

"Modern EU" (not the official title but what I call pretty much everything that coincided with the prequels, whether they're in that era or not) seem to follow a pattern: Introduce a cool bad guy (i.e. Darth Revan) and make up as much as possible and then try to tie it all back to the "real" SW universe. Does that sound familiar? Kinda maybe like the prequels? I don't want to turn this into yet another prequel bash, I'm just pointing out that they followed or spawned the trend.

Rocketboy
06-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Well, to tell PT-era tales, they need to shoehorn 'em in and make 'em play nice with continuity (for the most part), which is why it all ends up being pretty bland.

I wish they'd realize not everyone and everything has to be connected to movie events. Then it would be just "so-so" instead of "meh."

Phantom-like Menace
06-15-2007, 12:06 AM
I was reading in another thread about Uncle Owen fighting a cyborg Darth Maul. For the love of freakin' God tell me that was a joke, otherwise I have a new "absolutely the dumbest, most hilarious SW thing conceivable" to replace the Fett/McDengar wedding.

Yeah, Uncle Owen puts him down like a dog. But as has been mentioned, this was intended to be off the wall and not to fit in with any continuity. Thus far, Maul seems to have died when he fell down the pit.

That's the thing: Those would sell like hotcakes to collectors as exclusives, but as soon as they hear that word they decide that its a huge conspiracy theory by Hasbro to kill the line.

Every once in a while I read something that looks exactly like I might have written it, but I didn't.

El Chuxter
06-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Actually, Cappy, some of the post-1999 stuff is quite good. I'd especially highly recommend the film tie-ins (Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, Cloak of Deception, The Approaching Storm, Labyrinth of Evil, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader).

Heck, I think the prequel trilogy should've been bits of TPM combined with AOTC, Labyrinth of Evil combined with the first 3/4 of ROTS, and the rest of ROTS combined with Dark Lord.

stillakid
06-15-2007, 04:46 AM

Better schools and lower taxes?

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Every once in a while I read something that looks exactly like I might have written it, but I didn't.Thank you?

Actually, Cappy, some of the post-1999 stuff is quite good. I'd especially highly recommend the film tie-ins (Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, Cloak of Deception, The Approaching Storm, Labyrinth of Evil, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader).It's not fair for me to say that everything since 1999 sucks, since I've barely read any of it. I do, however, know what the gist of a lot of the novels and such are and it all just seems a bit hokey and "convenient", much like the films they're supplementing.

Better schools and lower taxes?Those are nice, but it has more to do with crime. (How's Eastern Europe, you lucky bastard?! Prague?!?! I'm pretty much jealous!)

darthvyn
06-15-2007, 09:54 AM
so, yeah... that sounds retarded, but the image of maul i found is pretty freakin' sweet, actually...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Visionaries_Darth_Maul.jpg

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2007, 10:17 AM
so, yeah... that sounds retarded, but the image of maul i found is pretty freakin' sweet, actually...I will agree that its pretty cool looking, but I can hear some concept designer saying to himself, "Hey, kids like Darth Maul. Oh, and they like General Grievous. But their both dead. Hmmmmmm...... I KNOW! I'll put Grievous' legs on Darth Maul's torso and Maul will be 'reborn'! Brilliant!" (and then the concept designers pupils turn into dollar signs).

Whatever, I guess. If people like it good for them. But EU to me is like expansion hockey teams: It cheapens it and makes what's already there less special by pretending to be part of what is already established.

Phantom-like Menace
06-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Thank you?

You're welcome? No, seriously, I'm just fairly surprised when someone has the same opinion I do on such a less-than-collector-friendly issue.

CaptainSolo1138
06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
No, seriously, I'm just fairly surprised when someone has the same opinion I do on such a less-than-collector-friendly issue.As much as I usually do not agree with Hasbro's way of doing things alot of times, what's the point in crying about it? They're little pieces of articulated plastic. My life isn't over if.

stillakid
06-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Apple crisp.

JediTricks
06-18-2007, 11:11 PM
To me, this sort of thing isn't half as lame as the cries from collectors for "bland Jedi #3721" that is a huge deal in a book but is either a background guy or even less in the films. At least the wacky out there stuff expands the imaginative possibilities of the action figures, while another generic dude in a brown robe is just more crap to put in a star case and bury in a storage box.

The best way to release stuff like this is slowly, make it a little hard to get and that'll drive longer-term sales.

2-1B
06-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Regardless of whether it is in the "What if..." style or if it is canon or not, its embarrassingly silly.

Then is it also silly that I got the cyborg Maul tattooed on me? :mad:

CaptainSolo1138
06-19-2007, 07:41 AM
To me, this sort of thing isn't half as lame as the cries from collectors for "bland Jedi #3721" that is a huge deal in a book but is either a background guy or even less in the films.That's something that gets me as well, but less so than those who beg for a figure or a re-release and then complain that it should have came with soft goods (or plastic molded goods if it came with soft goods) and should be in a neutral pose (or a more dynamic one if it already is in a neutral pose). Complaining about people who complin seems a bit ironic, but I can't even stomach the toy threads here anymore because no one ever has anything positive to say. I'm by no means Johnny Somethingnicetosay, but it gets boring slogging through thirty pages of complaints about a lack of ankle articulation.

Then is it also silly that I got the cyborg Maul tattooed on me? As long as Uncle Owen isn't poppin' a cap in him, its fine. If you look back you'll see that I think its kinda cool looking but not SW.

2-1B
06-19-2007, 06:44 PM
As long as Uncle Owen isn't poppin' a cap in him, its fine.

That's on my other shoulder. lol lol lol

If you look back you'll see that I think its kinda cool looking but not SW.

Mmmmmm, not sure I can agree...reminds me too much of those AOTC rumours that Maul would return with his upper body attached to a hover craft. :p

CaptainSolo1138
06-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Mmmmmm, not sure I can agree...reminds me too much of those AOTC rumours that Maul would return with his upper body attached to a hover craft. :pWasn't there supposed to be some sort of yellow "clone Maul" as well?!lol

2-1B
06-19-2007, 09:24 PM
yes but instead they just threw yellow paint on a clonetrooper and called it a day. lol lol lol
Followed by red, blue, and green, of course. Oh, and black ones that people buy toys of.

JimJamBonds
06-27-2007, 12:17 AM
...reminds me too much of those AOTC rumours that Maul would return with his upper body attached to a hover craft. :p

Don't forget that he (Maul) has become an even more powerful force user.

2-1B
06-29-2007, 12:16 AM
not to mention a pretty powerful hovercraft user as well...