PDA

View Full Version : "Ok, R2. You want some power?"

stillakid
06-17-2007, 04:43 AM
On Dagobah, as Luke is getting his MRE ready, he plugs R2 into a small glowy thing that presumably recharges the little tincan's internal battery.

Are we to assume that R2 units need to be plugged into something every once in a while to maintain usable lifestyle? If so, why not build that small glowy thing into the droid so that the human in charge doesn't have to carry around an extra piece of luggage?

And does this mean that all droids need to be plugged in at some point? If so, when does Threepio get to eat? And where is the plug on his body?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-17-2007, 09:54 AM
I think the SW Visual Dictionary said the big circular thing on the protocol droid's torso is a recharge port. Maybe when droids are away from larger vehicles (X-Wing class is a snub fighter, remember) portable power packs drain the main ship less than say, the Falcon or a Star Destroyer.

Or, Ben Burtt recorded himself saying "UNLIMITED... POWER!!! " and then changed it into his droid beeps language. :thumbsup:

darko666
06-17-2007, 09:56 AM
And does this mean that all droids need to be plugged in at some point? If so, when does Threepio get to eat? And where is the plug on his body?

maybe there's a difference between protocal and astro drids when it comes to needing power. maybe R2 needed the power since he was a little roughed up when they first got to Dagobah. a droid needing some power/recharge here and there doesn't seem to far fetched, even though thats the only time you see it in the movies.

Droid
06-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Maybe R2 can operate on solar power indefinitely so that in space surrounded by the stars or on most planets he is fine, but on Dagobah, where there is no direct sunlight he can run down...

Maybe the fall in the water shorted something out requiring the portable backup power unit...

Bel-Cam Jos
06-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I say we believe everything Droid has to say on this topic, being the true expert here. :D

stillakid
06-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Maybe R2 can operate on solar power indefinitely so that in space surrounded by the stars or on most planets he is fine, but on Dagobah, where there is no direct sunlight he can run down...

Maybe the fall in the water shorted something out requiring the portable backup power unit...

Um, are you aware of how far apart stars are from one another in space?

Droid
06-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Um, are you aware of how far apart stars are from one another in space?

Seems like not very far in Star Wars as quickly as they skip from system to system.

2-1B
06-18-2007, 07:39 PM
I think R2-B1 was soakin in some power in that lil harness thing on the Queen's Ship in TPM.

JediTricks
06-19-2007, 12:41 AM
My theory is that droids have internal power generators, but when they are taxed it helps to recharge faster with an external boost than without.

darthvyn
06-25-2007, 01:21 PM
My theory is that droids have internal power generators, but when they are taxed it helps to recharge faster with an external boost than without.

yeah, maybe R2's alternator was busted and he needed a jump. the thing that luke had was like that portable jump-start kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Jump-Start-DC-Power-Plus-AU400/dp/B000A0IIYA