PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars... "How do you pronounce..."

JEDIpartner
06-18-2007, 01:40 PM
I thought this would be a fun thread 'cos there are loads of peripheral places and secondary and background characters that have names that people pronounce differently.

I was thinking about IG-88, for example. Do you pronounce it "Ig" or "Eye Gee"?

Let's discuss!!!

Darth Instigator
06-18-2007, 01:54 PM
what about Plo Koon, is it "Ploe" or "ploo"??

Rocketboy
06-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Leia - Lee ah or Lay uh
Han - Han (like hand) or Hahn

TeeEye7
06-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Leia - Lee ah or Lay uh

This lack of continuity with these two principal character's names has got to be THE most annoying thing in OT.

How about:

Jabba:

Jab-buh
Jah-bah

JEDIpartner
06-18-2007, 02:46 PM
I'd have to say "Ploe" 'cos two "o's" make the "ooh" sound like in "spoon" or "cartoon".

Leia - Lee ah or Lay uh

I'd say "Lay-uh" 'cos the Hawaiian word "lei" is pronounced "lay". I think there was some issue in ANH as to how to pronounce it. They seem to have gotten it straightened out by TESB.

As for Han being "Hahn" or "Haen", I think Lando was the only one to call him "Haen".

Rocketboy
06-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I think Lando was the only one to call him "Haen".Threepio did it also in Empire, even though he was repeating Lando while Chewie has Lando's throat ("It sounds like 'Han.'").

Kidhuman
06-18-2007, 03:17 PM
There are many words that I know I pronouce differently in the SW universe.

Han - Like Hand
Leia - Lay-uh
Kashyyyk - cash-ick
Jabba - Ja-bah
Plo Koon - plow
IG-88 - eye gee

Jargo
06-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Han = Hann
Leia = Lee-a
IG-88 = eye gee
Jabba = Jab-a
Plo Koon = Ploh Kuhn
Tatooine = tatt-oo-een
Dagobah = Dagg-oh-bar
Coruscant = Co-russ-ant (co as in con)
Tusken raider = tusk'n
Dewback = d'yoo-bak
Ponda baba - ponder babb-a
Jawa = jow-a (as in ciao)

DarthQuack
06-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Amanaman = Ah man eh man

LusiferSam
06-18-2007, 10:08 PM
IG-88: Eye Gee eighty eight
Boba Fett: Ba ba Fett (Blame ET for this. I misheard Elliott as a kid and it stuck).
8D8: Eighty eight
EV-9D9: Evey ninety nine
4-LOM: Four Lome (rhymes with foam or home)
Lobot: Low Bot

JediTricks
06-19-2007, 04:03 AM
I was thinking about IG-88, for example. Do you pronounce it "Ig" or "Eye Gee"?"Eye Gee".

what about Plo Koon, is it "Ploe" or "ploo"??"Ploh"

Leia - Lee ah or Lay uh
Han - Han (like hand) or Hahn"Layuh" is pretty standard, but Han is more of a mess. I go with "Hahn" but it's slightly leaning towards the other at the same time.

Jab-buh
Jah-bahThat one never felt in question to me since so many characters say the former.

There are many words that I know I pronouce differently in the SW universe.
Kashyyyk - cash-ick
Plo Koon - plowKashyyyk I believe is "kash-ee-yick".

4-LOM: Four Lome (rhymes with foam or home)I know a lot of folks do this, but I can only assume it's from that Kenner cardback mistake because the character is a droid just like C-3PO.

So, do you say AT-AT: "ey-tee-ey-tee" or "at-at", and if it's the latter (like me), how come it's "ey-tee-ess-tee"?

CaptainSolo1138
06-19-2007, 07:52 AM
So, do you say AT-AT: "ey-tee-ey-tee" or "at-at", and if it's the latter (like me), how come it's "ey-tee-ess-tee"?
Oh, you jerk! I was just gonna post this.

I say "at-at" and tend to make fun of those who say the other way. I think I've only ever heard one person say "ey-tee-ey-tee" and I teased him mercilessly:p. I think "ey-tee-ess-tee" is acceptable because there is no way to pronounce "ST" as a stand-alone word like you can "AT".

Kidhuman
06-19-2007, 08:26 AM
I think "ey-tee-ess-tee" is acceptable because there is no way to pronounce "ST" as a stand-alone word like you can "AT".

Thats what I was gonna post.

darthvyn
06-19-2007, 12:37 PM
i've been known to shorten "AT-ST" to "at sat".

JEDIpartner
06-19-2007, 12:53 PM

I say "at-at" and tend to make fun of those who say the other way. I think I've only ever heard one person say "ey-tee-ey-tee" and I teased him mercilessly:p. I think "ey-tee-ess-tee" is acceptable because there is no way to pronounce "ST" as a stand-alone word like you can "AT".

If you try, you'll probably niggle it up and it will end up sounding like "A**ed" :yes:

LusiferSam
06-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I say "at-at" and tend to make fun of those who say the other way. I think I've only ever heard one person say "ey-tee-ey-tee" and I teased him mercilessly:p.

That's funny because in elementary school my best friend and I teased the kid who said "at at" so bad he left and went home one day. Ey tee ey tee is so the right way to say it. But it you said Walker (remember this is a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) everyone knew what you meant.

CaptainSolo1138
06-19-2007, 02:28 PM
For what its worth Wookiepedia says:

AT-AT is pronounced "at-at" in Star Wars: Force Commander, and Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. They are also called "A-T-A-T"s briefly in Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader.
Take it for what you will, obviously, but since they're never mentioned by name in the movies this is really all there is to go on and its anything but conclusive.

I say we put up a poll!

Jargo
06-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Amanaman = am-ann-am-ann
EV-9D9 = eve nine-dee-nine
Boba fett = bob-a-fett
4-LOM = for-lomm
Lobot = loh-bott
Kashyyk = cash-eek
AT-AT = a-tat
AT-ST = aytee-esstee
Tydirium = tie-dirree-umm
Chewbacca = choo-back-a

CaptainSolo1138
06-19-2007, 02:57 PM
EV-9D9 = eve nine-dee-nineThat's interesting. I pronounce the individual letters "E-V".

stillakid
06-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Yippee

Is it "Yippee"

or is it

"Gee, Mister, I'm very excited about what has just transpired."

?

Rocketboy
06-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Oh, you jerk! I was just gonna post this.As was I! That was the reason clicked on this thread moments ago!

And for the record, I say "at-at."

stillakid
06-19-2007, 04:44 PM
That's interesting. I pronounce the individual letters "E-V".

Everybody did, or so I thought. Why wouldn't you pronounce it as E V? "EVE" would be, well, Eve.

stillakid
06-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Wuher

Is it "Woo her" or is it "Wooer" or just "Barkeep"?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Jedi Council edition!

Plo Koon - rhymes with Slow Dune
Saesee Tiin - Sassy Ten
Adi Gallia - Addy (like "daddy") Galley-uh
Ki-Adi-Mundi - Key Addy Moondy
Depa Billaba - Depp-uh Bill-uh-buh (accent on Bill)
Oppo Rancisis - Aw-poe Ran-see-sis (like "sister")
Even Piell - Even Peel
Yaddle - rhymes with Paddle
Yarael Poof - Yarr-ee-ul (rhymes with "Daria" but with an "l") Poof
Eeth Koth - Eeth Kawth
Shaak Ti - Shock Tee
Agen Kolar - Age-in Kole-arr
Stass Allie - Stawss All-ee

JEDIpartner
06-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Everybody did, or so I thought. Why wouldn't you pronounce it as E V? "EVE" would be, well, Eve.

I pronounce them as two separate letters.

figrin bran
06-19-2007, 10:51 PM
I agree with Mr. Daddypants pronunciation of "Four Lomm"

I disagree on Mr. JJL's pronunciation of Saesee Tinn. Although never mentioned by name in the prequels, in the CW animated series, there's a clone who calls him "General Tin". I do pronounce it "Sassy" as well but that's probably wrong.

Phantom-like Menace
06-20-2007, 12:39 AM
As far as Han goes, Lucas pronounces it to rhyme with pan or can, but I pronounce it the same way the overwhelming majority of characters in the movie pronounce it.

The only person in the movie to pronounce Leia just like Leah was Jan Dodonna, right?

And for the record, I used to always say AT-at, but most of the kids when I was growing up felt that AYE-tee AYE-tee was better. Now, I tend toward AYE-tee AYE-tee, but I throw AT-at in as well from time to time. For the record, my brothers and I used to also say AT-st instead of AYE-tee ESS-tee, though we said it jokingly.

Jedi Council edition!

Saesee Tiin - Sassy Ten
Adi Gallia - Addy (like "daddy") Galley-uh
Ki-Adi-Mundi - Key Addy Moondy
Depa Billaba - Depp-uh Bill-uh-buh (accent on Bill)
Oppo Rancisis - Aw-poe Ran-see-sis (like "sister")
Even Piell - Even Peel
Yarael Poof - Yarr-ee-ul (rhymes with "Daria" but with an "l") Poof
Eeth Koth - Eeth Kawth
Shaak Ti - Shock Tee
Agen Kolar - Age-in Kole-arr
Stass Allie - Stawss All-ee

Saesee Tiin - SAY-see teen
Adi Gallia - AD-dee GAL-yuh
Ki-Adi-Mundi - kee ad-ee MOON-dee
Depa Billaba - depuh bil-LA-ba
Oppo Rancisis - OHP-poh ran-SEE-sis
Even Piell - EV-en peel
Yarael Poof - yah-RAYL poof
Eeth Koth - eeth kahth
Shaak Ti - shak tee - Yeah, I'm of the opinion it should rhyme with shock, though
Agen Kolar - A (as in apple)-gen KOH-lar
Stass Allie - stass (rhymes with sass) ahl-LEE

LusiferSam
06-20-2007, 01:10 AM
The only person in the movie to pronounce Leia just like Leah was Jan Dodonna, right?
No, 3PO says it funny a couple of times.

And for the record, I used to always say AT-at, but most of the kids when I was growing up that AYE-tee AYE-tee was better. Now, I tend toward AYE-tee AYE-tee, but I throw AT-at in as well from time to time. For the record, my brothers and I used to also say AT-st instead of AYE-tee ESS-tee, though we said it jokingly.
Good man. Merciless teasing by ones friend can have positive impact on one's life. Too bad I don't have the time to shame the rest of you into saying it right.

Phantom-like Menace
06-20-2007, 06:35 AM
No, 3PO says it funny a couple of times.

Hmm, I might have given him a pass because I was thinking he's British, so he can't pronounce things.;)

Good man. Merciless teasing by ones friend can have positive impact on one's life. Too bad I don't have the time to shame the rest of you into saying it right.

Then there are situations like darthvyn mentioned with AT-sat. Like the DUKW during WWII being called the Duck. It's just an approximation of the sounds of the letters in question.

Jargo
06-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Plo Koon - rhymes with Slow moon
Saesee Tiin - SAY-see teen
Adi Gallia - add-ee Gal-ee-uh
Ki-Adi-Mundi - kee add-ee Munn-dee
Depa Billaba - deep-a bill-a-buh
Oppo Rancisis - opp-oh rank-eye-sis
Even Piell - rhymes with steven steel
Yarael Poof - ya-ray-ell puff
Eeth Koth - EEth koTH (rhymes with teeth cloth)
Shaak Ti - shark TEE
Agen Kolar - Ay-gn koh-LARR
Stass Allie - stass (rhymes with mass) alley
Coleman trebor - Coal-mn tree-bore
Cin Drallig - Kin drall-igg
whie Malreaux - wee mall (as in shall) roh (as in slow)
Quinlan Vos - Kwinn-Ln voss
Jocasta Nu - rhymes with slow-master two
Bultar Swan - bull-tuh swonn
Roth-Del Masona - roTH-dell may-sew-nuh
Pablo Jill - pabb-Lo jill
Aayla Secura - eye-luh sek-yorr-uh
Foul Moudama - fowl moo-darma
Roron Corob - roar-ron cor-rob
Voolvif Mon - vull-viff monn
K'Kruhk - kuh-krerk
Sora Bulq - sorr-uh bulk
Tarr Seirr - tar see-uh
Luminara Unduli - loo-minn-arr-uh unn-dyoo-lee
Joclad Danva - joe-kladd dann-vuh

Rocketboy
06-20-2007, 11:15 AM
What about Boushh? Bow-sh or Boo-sh?

I've always said Bow-sh, pronouncing the vowels with an "ouch"-like sound.

figrin bran
06-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I say "bowsh" as well.

for me, K'Kruhk is "k-kruck" (rhymes with truck)

JEDIpartner
06-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I understood it to be pronounced "BOO-sh"

Jargo
06-20-2007, 06:26 PM
bowsh. as in 'wow' with an extended shhhhhh on the end.

Kidhuman
06-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I say Bosh, like the power tool company

JediTricks
06-21-2007, 01:25 AM

I say "at-at" and tend to make fun of those who say the other way. I think I've only ever heard one person say "ey-tee-ey-tee" and I teased him mercilessly:p. I think "ey-tee-ess-tee" is acceptable because there is no way to pronounce "ST" as a stand-alone word like you can "AT".You snooze, you lose! ;)

I also say it "at-at" and make fun of those who say it by its letters. Plus, it's too repetitive, that kills it in my book, it ends up sounding like "80-80" that way.

And your assessment of the AT-ST said as letters is how I see it as well, the "st" is too short a syllable to work on its own.

i've been known to shorten "AT-ST" to "at sat".You are the first I've ever heard claim that! What about the AT-RT, AT-PT, and AT-AP? (SW Rogue Squadron for N64 says "A.T.P.T." instead of like a word.

That's funny because in elementary school my best friend and I teased the kid who said "at at" so bad he left and went home one day. Ey tee ey tee is so the right way to say it. But it you said Walker (remember this is a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) everyone knew what you meant.No, I'm with Cappy on this, "80-80" is the wrong way to say it! :D It's repetitive and sounds funny. "Imperial Walker" is ok, but I don't know anybody who uses it because that can be confused with the AT-ST, also referred to unfortunately as the "Chicken Walker".

Chewbacca = choo-back-a"back"??? It must be a british thing, I've never heard anybody else say it that way, it's always "choo-bohk-uh".

As was I! That was the reason clicked on this thread moments ago!

And for the record, I say "at-at."I repeat, you snooze, you lose. ;) But I give you points for saying it right. :p

Wuher
Is it "Woo her" or is it "Wooer" or just "Barkeep"?That's a good one! "Woo-hur" is how I've said it for a while, but in the late '90s I was saying it "Woo-err" like you suggested, complete with the non-break in the middle. I think it was once we got the SEs or the action figure that I went to the other pronunciation.

Saesee Tiin - SAY-see teen"Teen" huh? Any source on that, or just shot from the hip? I've always said it "tin" or tried to extend it to "ti-in". I'm with you on the first name though.

Shaak Ti - shark TEE"Shark"??? Is that a british thing too? I usually say it "shak-tee", like the word shack.

I've always said Bow-sh, pronouncing the vowels with an "ouch"-like sound."Boo-sh", it's never seemed in question to me before either.

figrin bran
06-21-2007, 01:55 AM
If we take the Clone Wars series to be canon, (and even if you don't, it's still the only place where you hear "shaak ti" and "tiin" being uttered), Ki-Adi Mundi pronounces her name as "shock tee" though they used a british accent for his voice. And as I mentioned previously, either Mace or a clone trooper calls saesee "general tin".

JediTricks
06-21-2007, 02:02 AM
I can buy "shock" but "shark" not so much.

CaptainSolo1138
06-21-2007, 07:47 AM
"Boo-sh", it's never seemed in question to me before either.I've always said "Bow-sh". Also, like Jargo, I pronounce Tiin's last name as "Teen". Not that I reference him much.

Jargo
06-21-2007, 10:47 AM
All I can go on is the vocal training i recieved at theatre school using recieved pronunciation and my knowledge of the english language as mother tongue here in the UK. The US has strange elongated vowel sounds especially in certain areas like Cali where there's more of a drawl in speech.
that's not to say i speak with a clipped upper class british accent. far from it. but (and without any hint of insult or jibe) americans do tend to be fairly lazy with speech choosing economy over accuracy.

however, be that as it may. as i understand it the double A sound is more commonly pronounced as an R sound.

ou could be the same as in through a double O sound or bough as in an OW sound.

what we need is for someone to make a handy little reference book like Ben Burtt did with his galactic language book. but with pronunciations and phonetic guides to all this stuff. Probably something like a protocol droids guide to diplomatic screwup avoidance. or how not to insult a guest by getting there name wrong.

mabudonicus
06-21-2007, 12:24 PM
No-one's mentioned Fassie yet?? Shocking!!!! Even master Tsechs isstrangely absent :beard:
I pronounce "21-B" as "Deuce"

CaptainSolo1138
06-21-2007, 12:26 PM
americans do tend to be fairly lazy with speech choosing economy over accuracy.Wha chu tryin ta say, fella?;)

I pronounce "21-B" as "Deuce"I assumed that went without saying.:beard:

LusiferSam
06-21-2007, 01:20 PM
No, I'm with Cappy on this, "80-80" is the wrong way to say it! :D It's repetitive and sounds funny.

And at-at isn't repetitive and funny sounding? To add more fuel to this, my computer agrees with me. Typing AT-AT in and have it speak, the computer says "aye-tee aye-tee." And I've got to go with the computer.

For the record I'm a bit funny when it comes to acronyms. I frequently say the letters rather than the "word." I've nearly started a fist fight over GUI (I hate it when people say gooey). ESA is another one that was caused problems.

I pronounce "21-B" as "Deuce"
That's just wrong for a number of reasons. Brownies points to the first person to point out what's wrong.

Kidhuman
06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
And at-at isn't repetitive and funny sounding? To add more fuel to this, my computer agrees with me. Typing AT-AT in and have it speak, the computer says "aye-tee aye-tee." And I've got to go with the computer.

Computers are only as smart as people programming them.

JediTricks
06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
The US has strange elongated vowel sounds especially in certain areas like Cali where there's more of a drawl in speech. Actually, Californian accent has the absence of a drawl, the "California accent" has downward shifted vowels but an otherwise neutral accent.

that's not to say i speak with a clipped upper class british accent. far from it. but (and without any hint of insult or jibe) americans do tend to be fairly lazy with speech choosing economy over accuracy.Well, since there are 6 times as many of us as there are of you, majority rules says that it is your accuracy that is in question. ;)

however, be that as it may. as i understand it the double A sound is more commonly pronounced as an R sound.From what I've been told, that's a bastardization of pronunciation, and it's not just "aa" but any word ending in "a".

And at-at isn't repetitive and funny sounding?Not as repetitive and funny-sounding, because you've got half as many syllables and the short-a sound isn't as funny generally.

To add more fuel to this, my computer agrees with me. Typing AT-AT in and have it speak, the computer says "aye-tee aye-tee." And I've got to go with the computer.Oh, well if your computer says it, it must be accurate. :crazed: Have it read the title of this page, it says "sirsteve-ez-guide" :p

For the record I'm a bit funny when it comes to acronyms. I frequently say the letters rather than the "word." I've nearly started a fist fight over GUI (I hate it when people say gooey).That one has always driven me crazy! It's a graphical user interface, not a viscous substance.

That's just wrong for a number of reasons. Brownies points to the first person to point out what's wrong.It's written "2-1B", not "21-B".

stillakid
06-22-2007, 12:49 AM
that's not to say i speak with a clipped upper class british accent. far from it. but (and without any hint of insult or jibe) americans do tend to be fairly lazy with speech choosing economy over accuracy..

I find the opposite to be true. I've been on the road (essentially) working with Brits for around nine months now and still often have trouble understanding what the hell they're saying. Too frequently, they are lazy when annunciating so that it is a mumbling effect or it sounds as if they have marbles in their mouths. The farther north in the UK someone is from, the worse it gets.

For the most part, in comparison, I think that most Americans from all regions have better pronunciation skills. There are exceptions of course and some regions lay the accents on rather thick, but I can't think of any American accent that incorporates mumbling the way the UK does. It seems as if they have something about opening their mouths up to speak.

bigbarada
06-22-2007, 01:51 AM
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this one yet: Nein Nunb, do you pronounce it "neen numb" or "nine numb"?

Does anyone else want to slap people who pronounce Darth Vader as "dart vader"?

figrin bran
06-22-2007, 02:32 AM
Isn't it spelled "Nien"? I've always pronounced it "KNEE-in nunb" but i've heard people say "Nine".

What about Labria? "La (as in laugh) bree-uh" or "Luh bree-uh".

and since his figure is coming soon, Umpass Stay that is, "OOM-pus Stay" or "Um pus Stay"?

Garindan? "Guh rin din" or "Gair in dan"?

Phantom-like Menace
06-22-2007, 02:37 AM
I've always said Bow-sh, pronouncing the vowels with an "ouch"-like sound.

I tend to pronounce it as bosh--rhymes with the posh of pish posh.

From what I've been told, that's a bastardization of pronunciation, and it's not just "aa" but any word ending in "a".

At some point either the ah sound began to sound like the er sound or the er the ah (don't remember which), and the other changed based on the relationship. It's the same reason some speakers of nonstandard dialects of British English which drop the h sound from the beginning of words that begin with that letter sometimes add an h sound to words beginning with vowels. The ah/er switch is present on this side of the Atlantic too, most notably in the famous Cuba/Cuber of President Kennedy and others from that area of the country but also in some form here in the South where I am. A friend from--I believe predominately the Florida Keys--does it, and even my father who was born and raised in the Panhandle does it. My brothers and I often found it funny when he would tell us to "remembah" something which of course meant we were to remember something.

Otherwise, I'm of the opinion that British English is often viewed as being more proper than American English simply because the Brits make a big deal about "The Queen's English," and "Received Pronunciation," while Americans make as big a deal about Ebonics and rural speech oddities. If Brits spent all day talking about Cockney accents and we spent all day talking about upper class American English, that table could easily be turned.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this one yet: Nein Nunb, do you pronounce it "neen numb" or "nine numb"?

NEE-en num--The first name is two syllables for me and even though I don't pronounce the b, it influences the pronunciation of the n for me.

Does anyone else want to slap people who pronounce Darth Vader as "dart vader"?

Never heard that one, but if you ever need someone to help you slap them, don't hesitate to call if I'm in the area.

Edit:

and since his figure is coming soon, Umpass Stay that is, "OOM-pus Stay" or "Um pus Stay"?

Labria-- luh-BREE-uh
Umpass Stay--OOM-pus stay
Garindan--guh-RIN-din

mabudonicus
06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
That's just wrong for a number of reasons. Brownies points to the first person to point out what's wrong.

It's written "2-1B", not "21-B".

Hmmm- so both you guys have your own videos featuring 2-1B?? I'd like to see them before I turn in my geek card.
:beard: Iso & Baws
NOBODY can tell mabudonicus ANYTHING about the Deuce, seriously

JediTricks
06-22-2007, 04:38 PM
however, be that as it may. as i understand it the double A sound is more commonly pronounced as an R sound.From what I've been told, that's a bastardization of pronunciation, and it's not just "aa" but any word ending in "a". I remembered something last night while brushing my teeth, you British don't actually pronounce the "r" sound in "shark" as distinctly as we do, so phonetically to you shark would be more like "shohk", yes? That'd make a lot more sense of the "shaak=shark" thing of yours if accurate. I was thinking it was like when some folks - mostly Brits - use a more distinct "r", like Patrick Stewart on Star Trek saying "Mister Dater" instead of "Data".

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this one yet: Nein Nunb, do you pronounce it "neen numb" or "nine numb"? Neither actually, I say "nee-en nuh-nub" (the written phonetics of which look decidedly Ewokian).

Does anyone else want to slap people who pronounce Darth Vader as "dart vader"?I suppose I would, but I've never heard anybody say it.

What about Labria? "La (as in laugh) bree-uh" or "Luh bree-uh". lah bree uh

and since his figure is coming soon, Umpass Stay that is, "OOM-pus Stay" or "Um pus Stay"?Uhm pes Stey

Garindan? "Guh rin din" or "Gair in dan"?Gah rin dan.

I tend to pronounce it as bosh--rhymes with the posh of pish posh.Wow, that's a new one. How come the u gets no play in your pronunciation?

At some point either the ah sound began to sound like the er sound or the er the ah (don't remember which), and the other changed based on the relationship. It's the same reason some speakers of nonstandard dialects of British English which drop the h sound from the beginning of words that begin with that letter sometimes add an h sound to words beginning with vowels. The ah/er switch is present on this side of the Atlantic too, most notably in the famous Cuba/Cuber of President Kennedy and others from that area of the country but also in some form here in the South where I am. A friend from--I believe predominately the Florida Keys--does it, and even my father who was born and raised in the Panhandle does it. My brothers and I often found it funny when he would tell us to "remembah" something which of course meant we were to remember something.Yeah, I realized that last night, and you're right that some areas over here use it, though I'd say it's only a few and they are known as unusual thicker accents or drawls (such as the Massachusetts reference you made, Kennedy was famous for them, it's a staple of imitating him).

darthvyn
06-22-2007, 04:58 PM
You are the first I've ever heard claim that! What about the AT-RT, AT-PT, and AT-AP? (SW Rogue Squadron for N64 says "A.T.P.T." instead of like a word.

i've never had the opportunity to say them out loud, but i'd probably be inclined to say "at rat", "at pat" and "at ap" instead of spelling them out. the only thing that might throw me for a loop is the AT TE... how do you say that as a word?

i pronounce it "LAY bree-uh".

Boush

and i say "boosh".

little known fact, boush and labria hail from the crachi system.

"GAH rin din"

LusiferSam
06-22-2007, 08:45 PM
i've never had the opportunity to say them out loud, but i'd probably be inclined to say "at rat", "at pat" and "at ap" instead of spelling them out. the only thing that might throw me for a loop is the AT TE... how do you say that as a word?

You could say at tea. But I still think my way is the only self consistent pronounce this all terrain vehicle names.

Boushh is a odd one for me. I don't remember exactly what I said as a kid. I think it was Bow sh, but then somebody "corrected" me and I starting saying Boo sh. Now days I mostly say Bow sh because I like the sound of it better. That's the great thing about dyslexia, I can say what ever I want and it will still sound right to me.

By the JT I did try sirsteve-ez-guide. It came out as SirSteve easy guide. I'm not sure could you where looking for, but this made sense to me.

CaptainSolo1138
06-22-2007, 09:09 PM
little known fact, boush and labria hail from the crachi system.Ah, vynnie, you wily devil you.

Phantom-like Menace
06-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Wow, that's a new one. How come the u gets no play in your pronunciation?

I think it was largely under influence from the name Bossk when I was younger. Otherwise, I could say I ignore the u for the same reason I ignore the u in cough.;)

JediTricks
06-23-2007, 04:11 PM
You could say at tea. But I still think my way is the only self consistent pronounce this all terrain vehicle names. I think "at-tee" wouldn't work because the first and second words end and begin with the same letter, so it sounds like 1 silly word. "atee"

By the JT I did try sirsteve-ez-guide. It came out as SirSteve easy guide. I'm not sure could you where looking for, but this made sense to me.Wow, I have no idea what you're saying here.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Cin Drallig - Kin drall-igg
I pronounce it as "Sin" since Anakin says it in the ROTS video game.

For Luminara Unduli, I used to pronounce it "Un-dull-eye" until I heard it on a commercial for the CW cartoon as "Un-dool-ee" so now I go with that.

I say Boushh to rhyme with mouse, but of course with the harder "sh" sound at the end.

I say "at-at" and used to, for some reason, say "at-stuh" for the AT-ST since I only knew of those two. Now I still use "at-at" for the AT-AT but I pronounce each letter for all other ships like this.

Wow, I have no idea what you're saying here.
When you said "try this website, it'll come out sir-stev-ez-guide" then LusiferSam must've misread it as "try sir-stev-ez-guide."